Jan

Rise and Shine

Michael Tomasky: The GOP Plan to Steal Elections. Republicans are proposing a radical rule change in swing states – one that would have handed Romney the election. Michael Tomasky on this jaw-dropping outrage.

….. We could toss all this information onto the ever-growing “Oh, those crazy Republicans” slag heap, have a laugh, and let it go. But this is concerted and serious. Rules, laws, customs, and norms that we have all abided by for centuries (the Electoral College and the primacy of federal law) or decades (recess appointments) have simply been producing too many outcomes conservatives don’t like. Most people, and movements, would try to change themselves so that they could maybe win under the long-agreed-upon rules. But conservatives have a cleverer way. Just make new rules. You better believe things can get worse.

Full post here

NYT: For most of President Obama’s first term, Republicans used legislative trickery to try to prevent the functioning of two federal agencies they hate, the National Labor Relations Board and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. First they would filibuster the president’s nominees ….. Then they would create fake legislative sessions for the Senate during its recess, intended solely to prevent Mr. Obama from making recess appointments as an end run.

Astonishingly, a federal appeals court upheld this strategy on Friday …. The court even broke with the presidential practice of 150 years by ruling that only vacancies arising during a narrow recess period qualify for recess appointments.

…. The situation demonstrates how dysfunctional Washington has become because of these Republican abuses….With no sign that Republicans are willing to let up on their machinations, Mr. Obama was entirely justified in using his executive power to keep federal agencies operating.

Full editorial here

ThinkProgress: Conservatives are outraged over Defense Secretary Leon Panetta’s decision to lift the ban on women in combat … CNN’s Soledad O’Brien caught one such critic [Professor Kingsley Browne] off guard …..

O’BRIEN: I’m going to read a little bit from this colonel who said this: ‘The army is not a sociological laboratory; to be effective it must be organized and trained according to the principles which will ensure success…Experiments are a danger to efficiency, discipline and morale and would result in ultimate defeat.’

BROWNE: I think that that’s true….

O’BRIEN: That was from a guy in 1941. And that argument was about not allowing black people in the military….

See video at link

President Obama will on Friday, February 1, bestow the National Medal of Science upon 12 researchers and the National Medal of Technology and Innovation upon eleven inventors, in a ceremony at the White House. The awards are the nation’s highest in science and technology. See the list of award winners here

Love this:

A clean-up crew wave to President Obama at the end of the parade (Stephen Crowley, New York Times)

You’ll note Crowley – a professional – failed, unlike some Inauguration photographers I could mention, to capture any actual horse manure in his image. Just saying:

MoooOOOooOOOooorning!

161 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 cookemom
    January 26, 2013 at 9:56 am

Helloo O’s!!!! How’re all you TODdies on this great getting up day!!!! I’m having a fight with myself on whether to venture outside in the cold to do errands today. I’m losing the battle.

2. 5 Wanda N VA 4 Obama
    January 26, 2013 at 9:56 am

Good Morning TOD!

3. 7 sheinfrance
    January 26, 2013 at 9:59 am

Good morning TOD from a very sunny but cold France

4. 10 prettyfoot58
    January 26, 2013 at 10:00 am

Congratssssssssssssss Cookemom…i felt that breeze as you went sizzling by…hahahaha

5. 11 ber6964
    January 26, 2013 at 10:02 am

GM Everyone Happy Saturday!

6. January 26, 2013 at 10:05 am

Good Morning, Everyone :)

January 26, 2013 at 10:07 am

Am I #20??? Thank you, Chips for the new thread:) They really hate America, don’t they? Cat’s all the way out of the bag now!

8. 15 sherijr
    January 26, 2013 at 10:12 am

Hola happy saturday everyone! I’ve spent my morning following large rat tracks in the snow around my house :( This house was empty for two years before we moved in.. and alas was overgrown – thus became a bit of a refuge for the little (really big) creatures.. I think I’ve finally managed to keep him/her out of everything but the yard at this point. So what’re you doing this morning ? ;)

January 26, 2013 at 10:13 am

G’morning everyone – Chips, TOD, lurkers etc! Happy Saturday. :)

10. 44 Sweet peg
    January 26, 2013 at 10:13 am

Good morning everyone! Congrats Cookemom. Hope everyone has a great Saturday.

11. 45 Dakota
    January 26, 2013 at 10:14 am

I am always on the late freight!!

Reposting from previous thread..

Good Morning TOD Family!

May the blessings of the Lord shine upon you this day! Attending a Black History kickoff brunch today sponsored by the Dept. of Africana Studies at the University of New Mexico. Keynote speaker this year is Hill Harper. I’m sure he will have a story or two about his friend and classmate, President Barack Obama! Last year’s keynote was Donna Brazile. Always a great event.

Have a great day! Catch up with y’all later! Peace!

12. 47 GGAIL
    January 26, 2013 at 10:15 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks!

January 26, 2013 at 10:17 am

So wanna bet that we go over 17,000,000 this weekend? Where’s amk? He’s a betting man….

14. 58 CEB
    January 26, 2013 at 10:21 am

Good morning everyone.

January 26, 2013 at 10:23 am

That Soledad O’Brien clip was fantastic. You had a so called “enlightened” professor agreeing with a 1941 quote that promoted segregation and racism because of the color of a person’s skin. We now look back on that time in horror and future generations will look back on some of the issues of today in horror that they were ever controversial.

16. 62 dotster3
    January 26, 2013 at 10:23 am

The new parade clean up crew photo was nice because it showed President Obama applauding these heroes, but it did lack the realism, the whole truth, of the last inauguration’s clean up crew photo by that world renown, multi-talented political photographer.

• January 26, 2013 at 10:25 am

:cool: Thank you Dotster, I should have known that you would have the ability to spot photographing-superiority when you see it. No doubt the Crowley man will contact me soon begging for tips :roll:

• January 26, 2013 at 11:46 am

As my mother used to say, “After the Lord Mayor’s show comes the Corporation muck cart.” Photo-journalism at it’s finest revealing the raw underbelly of society.

It occurs to me that my mother’s saying is probably practically unintelligible these days.

• January 26, 2013 at 11:54 am

“Photo-journalism at it’s finest revealing the raw underbelly of society.”

I know, thank you Mary :-) I think your mother was anticipating this very scene!

• 66 sherijr
      January 26, 2013 at 10:31 am

Yep thats a show-stopping prize-winning photo fer sure.. one of my all time faves ~

January 26, 2013 at 10:26 am

Things You Learn In College: Playing volleyball at midnight for over three hours and yelling means you wake up with no voice.

January 26, 2013 at 10:28 am

Delightful interview with Jason Wu about his humble beginnings and his lifelong thanks to First Lady Michelle Obama for changing his life.

19. 72 PrayerWarriorforObama
    January 26, 2013 at 10:30 am

Sunny Caribbean greetings to one and all. Have a great Saturday!

20. January 26, 2013 at 10:31 am
    January 26, 2013 at 10:32 am

Jay Rockefeller (D-WV), Saxby Chambliss (R-GA), and now Tom Harkin (D-IA) are all retiring. 2014 is going to be interesting for sure.

• January 26, 2013 at 10:40 am

I am starting to get a little worried about PBO agenda now, Harry Reid will be in survival mode and block moving forward a lot of legislation. Still have Begich in Alaska who only won b/c of Ted Stephans, Kay Hagan in NC, Mark Pryor in Arkansas, Johnson in S.D., Scott Brown in MA, Bauchas in MT, I think the only safe one is Landrieau in LA and now Harkin. Better hope Bruce Braley or Sec. of Agriculture Vilsack run or we might see Steve King………..

22. 79 dotster3
    January 26, 2013 at 10:32 am

Was Scott Brown drunk tweeting last night? Or just goofy and spelling challenged? (for the last time, the contraction for you are is you’re, not your)

• 80 57andfemale
      January 26, 2013 at 10:44 am

That drives me CRAZY. And ‘its’ and ‘it’s’.

• 81 utaustinliberal
      January 26, 2013 at 10:48 am

Twitter had such fun with his “Bqhatevwr” tweet last. The hashtag #Bqhatevwr had so many funny tweets and the hashtag ended up trending for hours.

• January 26, 2013 at 10:53 am

:lol: Can’t wait to find out who Matt is!

• January 26, 2013 at 10:56 am

GM Chipsticks, I have been a little busy this week, but noticed you said earlier I believe, you had some personal problems to sort out. I hope everything is O.K. now.

• January 26, 2013 at 11:04 am

Hiya Lovelyplains – oh, no personal problems at all, luckily! It was just a busy week with work – well, Tuesday to Thursday! A little quieter now, thankfully. But thank you so much for asking, hope all’s good with you?

• January 26, 2013 at 11:09 am

Yes all is good as well, just started taking some classes 3 days a week which has become time consuming. But other than that things seem on the uptick, not really looking forward to starting PT for my foot soon but that is unavoidable. Glad to hear all is good in your next of the woods though!

• 87 utaustinliberal
          January 26, 2013 at 11:00 am

Hahahahahahaha. It was weird for a while Chips because he tweeted Bqhatevwr, then Whatever, then stuff about Matt. Everyone was wondering if he was drunk.

23. 89 PrayerWarriorforObama
    January 26, 2013 at 10:42 am

Hopefruit2, you are so correct. Just wanted to rub in some warmth into everyone that would carry you through the day.

24. January 26, 2013 at 10:54 am
  25. January 26, 2013 at 11:09 am
  26. 99 lisalovesobama
    January 26, 2013 at 11:13 am

Good morning everyone. Hope your Saturday is going well. I just started to watch the Whitehouse ‘Surprise’ video and guess what I saw at 12:26?! Bo spent the first 12 minutes of the video between PBO and Miche then he wanders into the line of people before making his way to the side of PBO. Unfortunately, that cutie patootie gets in the way so PBO tells Bo, “Come on, Bo….” Then you hear Miche saying something similar. Then PBO goes, “Come between Mom….” And he stops, but I figure he was going to say “and me,” but he moved on to the next person. So it looks like Miche was right! Bo is her son. She has two girls and a boy!! :lol: :lol: no wonder Bo goes around pushing the girls off mommy’s lap! He’s the baby of the family!!! Hahahahahahaha!

27. 103 yardarm756
    January 26, 2013 at 11:17 am

Goooood morning! I see there are a few of us that are sleeping in. Have a good day I’m headed for the lurker locker again.

28. 110 overseasgranny
    January 26, 2013 at 11:19 am

Who took that lovely horse manure photo? I was impressed. Terrible storms we are having here in Ireland and the weather folk are saying that Monday’s and Tuesday’s storms will be severe gales. I am tired of this. Had to get sandbags brought in yesterday evening or the house would have flooded eventually; it was close. Another high wind, heavy rain event today. Climate change is a biotch.

29. 112 anniebella
    January 26, 2013 at 11:22 am

I saw a picture of Joan Rivers and it made me think of what she said about FLOTUS’s bang. She didn’t like it, but my comment was considering all the way she looks, she need to shut that ugly plastic face of hers. Maybe I was to harsh.

January 26, 2013 at 11:28 am

Considering the way she looks.

• 114 COS
      January 26, 2013 at 12:15 pm

After Joan Rivers said in an interview that PBO had not done anything, and criticized him for taking vacation, I stop listening to anythingn she had to say. The nerve of her to criticize anything aout FLOTUS. She has had so much plastic sugery until she is almost unrecognizable. Don’t get me started on Joan Rivers. :)

• January 26, 2013 at 12:26 pm

It’s torture to look at her. She looks like a refugee from Madame Tussaud’s.

• 116 Obama Grandmama
        January 26, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Joan Rivers won one of the Celebrity Apprentice contests and I wonder if she became a forever Donald Trump fan and espouses the same crazy points of view he has?

30. 117 anniebella
    January 26, 2013 at 11:27 am

Will President Obama decide to appeal the decision made yesterday by the right wing conservative court judges?

January 26, 2013 at 11:31 am

Well, I got up, did 10 minutes of exercise, showered, ate breakfast, pretended to do some chores and still managed to get here before the morning is over! Now I can relax and enjoy my day without any trace of guilt nagging at the corners. Whoopeee! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Morning, Ms Chips and all TODobots! Special ‘good afternoon/evening’ to the Australians in our midst as you wind down your celebrations! Is there anything new and exciting going on, or are we back to the politically mundane?

• January 26, 2013 at 11:45 am

MooOOOoooOOOooooOOooorning VC!

• 121 GGail
      January 26, 2013 at 11:57 am

Morning vc and welcome back! I enjoyed your report – it was heartfelt – thanks for sharing your joy with us!

January 26, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Hi ya, GGail. My absolute pleasure! This was so huge I wasn’t sure I’d be able to meet the challenge, but as family I suspect you guys are more tolerant. ;) ;) ;) Thanks. It’s been my experience that joy expands when it’s shared so I’m ecstatic I was able to find the words this time.

32. 123 dotster3
    January 26, 2013 at 11:36 am

Steve King?—yikes!—–teabagger, birther, gun nut and more, much more….

33. 125 dotster3
    January 26, 2013 at 11:37 am
    • 126 Nena20409
      January 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Michele Bachmann will NEVER run for a statewide office in MN. She will Never win. To do that, she would have to give up her House seat.

I read this morning that Palin is Not a contributor for Fox any more. $1M yearly for 3 yrs? Hmmm. Palin cashed her checks……..and Millions more thanks to McSane.

34. January 26, 2013 at 11:47 am

Conservative – as in likelihood – prediction …

2014 is when we, via OFA, have the opportunity to maximize 2012 and truly shape the next several decades of ‘Obama Doctrine’ guided leadership in the US Congress and in State Houses, Governor’s Mansions, …. school boards …. throughout the Republic.

Yes We Can

January 26, 2013 at 11:53 am

Just came back from a 4-hour annual day marathon of my school. We take pride that every year, we put all of our students in stage, playing some role or other. This year, with increased student strength, it was a herculean task. Kudos to our teachers, who make this happen every year with their hard work and choreography.

The kidz were wonderful as usual. Amazing, none of them showed any stage fright whatsoever. We adults could learn a thing or two from them.

36. 130 dotster3
    January 26, 2013 at 11:54 am

Wow, get me a ticket for that event and its top notch, blockbuster headliners. Could they go any lower with that fringe-fest? These present day “conservatives” are crazyheads who are devoid of any speck of decency or functioning brain cells.

37. January 26, 2013 at 11:57 am

Oh FFS, McCain AGAIN!

ABC’s “This Week” – Sens. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., and John McCain, R-Ariz.

NBC’s “Meet the Press” – Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis.; Jim DeMint, president-elect of the Heritage Foundation; Ben Jealous, president and CEO of the NAACP.

CBS’ “Face the Nation” – Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.; New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly; Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn.; former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

CNN’s “State of the Union” – Retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal; former CIA Director Michael Hayden; Govs. Bob McDonnell, R-Va., and Scott Walker, R-Wis.; Mia Love, mayor of Saratoga Springs, Utah.

January 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm

*CLICK*

• 134 HZ
      January 26, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Good Morning Chips and my TOD Family. A beautiful day to everyone. Lovely rainy day here. Quiet day with some reading and being here with all of you.

Has anyone heard from Fred? Hope all is fine. Lots of love everyone.HZ

January 26, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Has anyone heard from Fred? Not recently, I haven’t. She’ll probably surface soon to share her take on the Inauguration. At least I hope so. Also, let’s remember our promise to keep truck driver WesleyA and his wife in our healing thoughts.

• January 26, 2013 at 1:23 pm

(((((((((((HZ)))))))) :) :) Wishing Fred the best, too.

• January 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Amazing how Beltway is wired for GOP, disgraced, near disgraced, in between and everything else.

• 138 Linda
      January 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Good Grief……why doesn’t she just do the show at the RNC Headquarters….

January 26, 2013 at 11:58 am
    January 26, 2013 at 12:01 pm
    January 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm
  41. 144 PrayerWarriorforObama
    January 26, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Morning Chips. You guys exude the best warmth. You make us smile ever so often. The rain and cold cannot dispel the glow that permeates this blog.

January 26, 2013 at 12:06 pm
  43. 146 Nena20409
    January 26, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I love the Cartoons’ Tweets. Just way too funny and TRUE.

TJ Holmes is In for Alex for 2 hours. That man has a Voice that booms. He is now a daddy.

44. January 26, 2013 at 12:27 pm
  45. 154 carolmaewy
    January 26, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Good morning everyone. It’s warm in WY for this time of year.

46. 155 yardarm756
    January 26, 2013 at 12:30 pm

More afternoon yucks!

Sex On Mars

The year is 2222 and Charlie and Maureen land on Mars after
    accumulating enough Frequent Flier miles.

They meet a Martian couple and are talking about all sorts of things.
    Charlie asks if Mars has a stock market, if they have laptop computers,
    how they make money, etc.

Finally, Maureen brings up the subject of sex.

‘Just how do you guys do it?’ asks Maureen.

The Martian responds, ‘Pretty much the way you do.’

A discussion ensues and finally the couples decide to swap partners for
    the night and experience one another… Maureen and the male Martian go
    off to a bedroom where the Martian strips.. He’s got only a teeny,
    weenie member about half an inch long and just a quarter-inch thick.

‘I don’t think this is going to work,’ says Maureen..

‘Why?’ he asks. ‘What’s the matter?’

‘Well,’ she replies, ‘it’s just not long enough to reach me!’

‘No problem,’ he says, and proceeds to slap his forehead with his palm.
    With each slap of his forehead, his member grows until it’s quite
    impressively long.

‘Well,’ she says, ‘that’s quite impressive, but it is still narrow.’

‘No problem,’ he says, and starts pulling his ears. With each pull, his
    member grows wider and wider until the entire measurement is extremely
    exciting to the woman.

‘Wow!’ she exclaims, as they fell into bed and made mad passionate love.

The next day the couples rejoin their other partners and go their
    separate ways. As they walked along, Charlie asks, ‘Well, was it any
    good?’

‘I hate to say it,’ says Maureen, ‘but it was wonderful. How about you?’

‘It was horrible,’ he replies. ‘All I got was a headache … She kept
    slapping my forehead and pulling my ears.’

January 26, 2013 at 12:56 pm
    January 26, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Scott Brown deleted his drunk tweets. Umm…Scotty, rule number one of Twitter is that nothing stays deleted. :roll:

January 26, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Tell us how you really feel Danny.

50. January 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Good afternoon everyone.

51. January 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm

WesleyA I am late coming here, but I want to express heartfelt prayers for you and your wife. Please take care of yourself.