Feb

Rise and Shine

A year ago today: The President holds Arianna Holmes, 3, before taking a departure photo with members of her family in the Oval Office, Feb. 1, 2012 (Photo by Lawrence Jackson)

Today:

11:30: Jay Carney briefs the press

12:05: VP Biden and Jill Biden arrive at Munich International Airport

2:15: President Obama awards the National Medals of Science and the National Medals of Technology and Innovation

Steve Benen: Expectations for job creation were pretty close to perfect according to the new report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, with the economy adding 157,000 jobs in January. The big news, however, is in the revisions.

….. that’s where we see the genuinely good news. Not only were the job totals for November and December revised up considerably – 127,000 jobs combined – but for the entire 2012 calendar year, we learned this morning of an additional 335,000 jobs that had not been previously reported.

That means 2.17 million jobs were created just last year, which is the best annual total since 2005, and tops seven of the eight years Bush/Cheney was in office….

More here

Business Insider: The jobs report is out for January, and on the headline it’s a slight miss. 157K new jobs is below the consensus estimates of 165K. The unemployment rate ticked up to 7.9%.

But the report had a lot of good news as well. Last month was revised higher, from 155K to 196K. And November was revised even higher, from 161K to 247K!

Those are some seriously impressive revisions…..

More here

@PressSec

Steve Benen: With the revised job totals published this morning, we now know that 2012 was a better year for job creation than previously believed – 2.17 million jobs were created just last year overall, 2.24 million in the private sector. When I noted that 2012 was the best year for jobs since 2005, and better than seven of the eight years Bush/Cheney was in office, some of you were skeptical. I received a few “that can’t be right” emails.

So, let’s take a minute to take a closer look….

More here

Bloomberg: U.S. stocks rose, sending the Dow Jones Industrial Average above 14,000, as data showed hiring increased in January after accelerating more than previously estimated at the end of 2012 and manufacturing expanded.

…. “The jobs report shows that the corner was turned,” said Richard Sichel, who oversees about $1.8 billion as chief investment officer at Philadelphia Trust Co. “The revision from the prior month is positive. There’s indication that hiring will pick up over the course of the year”….

More here

Bloomberg: Manufacturing in the U.S. expanded more than forecast in January, reaching a nine-month high and showing the industry is starting to improve.

…. Stocks extended gains after the report showed gains in orders, production and factory employment after a fourth-quarter acceleration in consumer purchases and a rebound in business spending. The housing recovery and stabilization in overseas markets indicate factories may keep adding to growth in the world’s largest economy this year.

“Manufacturing is on the mend,” said Brian Jones, senior U.S. economist at Societe Generale in New York. “Things are getting better as we begin the year.”

More here

Charles Pierce: There really shouldn’t be as much low farce in confirming a Cabinet appointment than was on display as the Senate Armed Services Committee got its chance to blow off steam and posture in front of Chuck Hagel in Washington. If it wasn’t John McCain, bellowing his outrage that the world no longer recognizes his obvious geopolitical genius and that the world has not rewarded him with laurel leaves and flagons of the finest mead. So he spends six minutes trying to get Hagel to admit how brilliant he was to have recommended the “surge” in Iraq. Hagel declines and McCain’s fumes, probably because he’ll have to wait until Sunday morning to get the kind of fluffing that’s the only reason he’s still in public life any more. Well, that, and a war with Iran.

Full post here

Steve Benen: Much of the political world was transfixed yesterday by the grilling Chuck Hagel received by the Senate Armed Services Committee, and the consensus seems to be that the Defense Secretary nominee generally failed to impress…..

What struck me as more interesting than Hagel’s halting answers were the quality of the questions, or in this case, the lack thereof.

….. going through the transcript, one might be tempted to believe there are only three countries on the planet – the United States, Israel, and Iran – and that Iran poses some kind of existential threat to America’s future.

Al Qaeda wasn’t deemed important, nor was North Korea. China was brought up only a handful of times, and the use of drones wasn’t mentioned at all.

More here

Addicting Info: John McCain Receives The Most Lavish NRA Donations

…. According to the Center for Responsive Politics, John McCain is–by far–the recipient of the most generous donations from “gun rights” organizations. He receives about $400,000 more than John Thune (R-SD), who received the second highest total amount of monetary gifts from pro-gun groups.

More here

Michael Tomasky: How Liberals Can Win on Guns ….. Where are all these reasonable gun owners and NRA members? As far as the public discourse goes, they exist only in these polls. No one’s ever actually seen one.

So how about some liberal group put some money into finding these people and putting them on the air? Seeing Gabby Giffords yesterday was powerful. But it would be powerful in a different way — and probably more persuasive to people on the fence — to see a stereotypically burly white guy with a light drawl standing in front of his gun case with his arms crossed, looking as if he’s just about to say, “Fuck you, liberals,” when instead what comes out of his mouth is something like, “My buddies and I don’t need extended clips to hunt deer. And I look around and see these slaughters, and I think nobody else needs extended clips either.”

More here

BuzzFeed: Gov. Chris Christie paid tribute Thursday night to President Barack Obama, thanking him for his help in successfully passing the Hurricane Sandy aid bill in January…. Delivering his keynote speech at a New Jersey Chamber of Commerce dinner …. Christie told the crowd he was invited to the White House to discuss the Sandy aid package about three days before the president was set to send his proposal for the bill to Congress.

“I won’t talk about how our conversation went — that’s between me and the president,” said Christie. “But I’ll let you all know it was a lot of fun.” ….. “I want to thank the president — he’s been extraordinary”….

More here

Washingtonian: Spotted Thursday morning at the White House: a team from Vogue moving cameras into the residence. What could that be about? Well, it turns out it’s a photo shoot of First Lady Michelle Obama for the magazine’s cover, most likely the March issue.

More here

@petesouza: Photo of Bo, the “first dog”, in the Cabinet Rm this am

Moooooorning!

153 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 cookemom
    February 1, 2013 at 9:57 am

It’s Freaky Funky First Friday February all you Fabulous O’s!!!! A great getting up first day of the month for all TODssters!!

Good morning starshine
    The earth says hello
    You twinkle above us
    We twinkle below

Good morning starshine
    You lead us along
    My love and me as we sing
    Our early morning singing song

Gliddy gloop gloopy
    Nibby nobby nooby
    La la la lo lo
    Sabba sibby sabba
    Nooby abba dabba
    Le le lo lo
    dooby ooby walla
    dooby abba dabba
    Early morning singing song – Hair

2. 16 canadabarb4obama
    February 1, 2013 at 9:57 am

3. 19 canadabarb4obama
    February 1, 2013 at 10:01 am

think we tied, cookemom! I loved Hair; saw it in London in 1971; now I shall have the song in my head all day; hurray!

4. 20 99ts
    February 1, 2013 at 10:02 am

Thankyou Miss Chips – great news selection

February 1, 2013 at 10:04 am

GM folks.GM chips.

6. February 1, 2013 at 10:04 am

I personally think that the Republicans – particularly McCain – are made at Hagel because he agreed to work for “that one.” It’s obvious they don’t have any substantive concerns. I’d say that Hagel’s replies were halting because he was caught up in a “WTF is this (feces)?” disbelief.

February 1, 2013 at 11:13 am

‘I’d say that Hagel’s replies were halting because he was caught up in ….disbelief.’

Somewhat reminiscent of the President in the first 2012 debate?

February 1, 2013 at 10:04 am
  8. 29 Pamela
    February 1, 2013 at 10:07 am

G’day y’all! That is all. Out and about. (how many countries have I covered?) :) {{{{{TOD}}}}} (Hey VC!) :)

9. 31 xtine
    February 1, 2013 at 10:07 am

Good morning Chips, TODers, All! I just simply love that first photo (PBO & the little cutie)! Here’s something from Greg Sargent this morning:

* Dems may well hold on to John Kerry’s seat: It appears Scott Brown is getting cold feet about running for the seat of new Secretary of State John Kerry. Steve Kornacki has a nice piece gaming out the possibilities and explaining why Dems very well may hold this seat, given the politics of the state. All those fears may turn out to be ill-founded.

• 32 xtine
      February 1, 2013 at 10:33 am

[Here's a little more LOL! Brown has a cunundrum: if he runs & loses, there goes his chance at trying a run for Gov. & whatever he'd want to do in private sector.]:

“With time running short, Washington Republicans have begun a ‘full court press” to persuade an increasingly reluctant Scott Brown to run in the special election to replace John F. Kerry,” the Boston Globe reports.

“The eleventh-hour effort, coordinated by the National Republican Senatorial Committee, comes as those familiar with Brown’s deliberations are becoming convinced that he will not run and instead will look for a job in the private sector.”

Steve Kornacki: “The Republican panic stems from a belief that Brown is their party’s best – and only – hope of winning back a seat in deep blue Massachusetts. That view is well-grounded.”

10. 33 99ts
    February 1, 2013 at 10:07 am

Dow is up 115 points to 13, 975

11. 34 lovingandlaughing
    February 1, 2013 at 10:08 am

morning everyone ! That pic at the top is one of my favorites!

February 1, 2013 at 10:11 am

Huge News.

February 1, 2013 at 10:19 am

I was waiting for that golden moment – which is in fact Obama’s fault! Thanks UT for breaking the good news :)

February 1, 2013 at 10:11 am
  14. 44 canadabarb4obama
    February 1, 2013 at 10:11 am

Thanks, Chips for posting that adorable photo of Bo; I love him!

February 1, 2013 at 10:13 am
    February 1, 2013 at 10:14 am

Bringing this all over because it’s fantastic news.

• February 1, 2013 at 10:32 am

This is what Romney was looking forward to :-)

February 1, 2013 at 11:27 am

Egg. sack. lee, CT Girl – him and the ‘leading’ Repubs, hoping to capitalize on the President and his admin’s hard work despite their obstruction! I can imagine them touting how their holding him back resulted in this progress. :roll:

• 50 carolmaewy
          February 1, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Can you define egg.sack.lee. To this poorly educated older lady? Thanks. I’ve been curious for a long time.

February 1, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Oh, insider joke, Carolmae. That’s only Amk-ism for ‘exactly’, and I’m not even sure I spelled it right. I can never remember if it is ‘sack’ or ‘zack’. ;) I use it when I want to pretend I’m one of the TOD :cool: kids.

• 52 Nena20409
      February 1, 2013 at 10:35 am

UT :!: You are on a roll this AM Lady :) Wow, Rock On :cool:

17. 53 dotster3
    February 1, 2013 at 10:15 am

That may be the cutest Bo photo ever, and there have been some beauties. He is the most adorable doggie in the whole universe! (scientific survey) And he’s nice too!—-well-behaved as an added bonus.

February 1, 2013 at 10:15 am
  19. 62 Ladyhawke
    February 1, 2013 at 10:16 am

AN ABSURD AND EMBARRASSING HEARING

Ten Ridiculous Questions From Chuck Hagel’s Confirmation Hearing

By George Zornick

—————————————-

Chuck Hagel appeared before his former colleagues on the Senate Armed Services Committee on Thursday, seeking their approval for his nomination to serve as secretary of defense. What followed was one of the most absurd, embarrassing hearings in recent Washington memory.

Senators battered Hagel for even small departures from accepted conventional wisdom, subtly (and not-so-subtly) charged that he actually sought America’s destruction, begged him to keep defense spending headed towards their state, and generally thrashed traditional notions of the Senate’s role to “advise and consent” on cabinet appointments.

It was a difficult task to narrow these down, but here are ten of the most ridiculous questions posed to Hagel:

—————————————————–

20. 64 xtine
    February 1, 2013 at 10:21 am

[Kerry, & there's a tidbit in there!]:

[.....] Kerry said that he considered it a vindication that he was named secretary of state, a sign that his hard work after the 2004 presidential loss had paid off.

“To me, it was essential not to feel sorry for myself, lose myself in the moment,” Kerry said. “I felt very blessed. I felt constantly very blessed. It doesn’t mean it didn’t hurt, but there’s a difference between … wallowing and saying, ‘Screw it, that’s what happened, let’s go. There’s another chapter.’”

Kerry said President Obama offered him the job of secretary of state a week before United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice withdrew her name from contention, an earlier timeline than has been previously reported.
    “He called me, actually a week before Susan got out of the thing,” Kerry said. “He called me and said, ‘You’re my choice. I want you to do this.’ He asked me to keep it quiet. I did. I sat on it.”

Kerry said that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has been very helpful in the transition — and he hinted, without elaboration, that they collaborated while he served as the chairman of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.

“We had a very good relationship,” Kerry said. “We kept a lot of things secret that we talked about.’’
    After being sworn in to his new post Friday, Kerry will follow tradition and begin work at the State Department at 9 a.m. on Monday.

“There are certain things I intend to issue instructions on the minute I come in,” Kerry said. “I won’t go into the details, but Benghazi, embassy security, issues regarding some of the analysis that I want to track with respect to Iran, with respect to Syria. Trouble spots.”

He said there would be a “major meeting on Syria in the next few days.” [.....]

February 1, 2013 at 10:25 am

That’s why I ALWAYS urge people to be careful before reacting to MSM reports. If you recall there was quite a bit of hysteria on Twitter, TOD, and elsewhere. Some of us advised caution. It was a very frustrating time, indeed. I posted this comment on TOD after the news broke out that Rice was withdrawing her name.

• 66 xtine
        February 1, 2013 at 10:44 am

HF, I remember reading that & totally agreeing. We must really learn to put a grain of salt in everything coming out of MSM — especially in the coming 2 years.

February 1, 2013 at 10:24 am

Once again, the emoprogs and Whiny Obama Supporters are proven wrong.

February 1, 2013 at 10:24 am

It is Friday – That’s good! Morning TODobots! Afternoon, Ms Chips! ;) ;)

Hey CookeMom, looking good! :lol: :lol:

I suppose since all that exuberance you have bottled up inside has to find an outlet, I’m getting music instead of the banging of garbage can lids. Not that I’m complaining about the improvement.

February 1, 2013 at 10:30 am
  24. February 1, 2013 at 10:30 am
    • February 1, 2013 at 10:37 am

SMH! They have all made “journalism” such a filthy word. Oh well, they won’t keep our good man down :-)

Goooooooooooooood morning Chips! Goooooooooooooood morning everyone!

• 76 99ts
      February 1, 2013 at 11:06 am

Should see the Fox News version – if there was any doubt as to why grumpy old Fox viewers have no knowledge of reality

“The most recent news on unemployment is bleak – only 157,000 jobs were added last month, and the unemployment rate rose again, to 7.9%.”

No-one needs/wants the link

25. 77 dotster3
    February 1, 2013 at 10:33 am

2nd victim, a respected lawyer, dies from the Phoenix office shooting. The result of another irate, irrational, mentally imbalanced man with a gun.

• 78 0388jojothecat
      February 1, 2013 at 10:52 am

What the NRA will never tell you is this old guy was a “responsibile” gun owner BEFORE he became an irate, irrational, mentally imbalanced man. This guy had a recent history of bad behavior but he probably already owned all those guns. Since AZ allows people to walk around with guns that is one place I will stay away from.

• 79 Dakota
      February 1, 2013 at 11:45 am

Mark Hummels was a reporter for the local newspaper here in Santa Fe before he went to work as an attorney. SMDH!

• 80 carolmaewy
      February 1, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I mourn every gun death now. It’s heart wrenching. I thought I had heard the others shot had none life threatening wounds. Have we heard from Dona today and how she is coping? I am assuming she was in the Atlanta school area, is that right?

26. 81 anniebella
    February 1, 2013 at 10:36 am

Whenever I think about it I get so piss with the way the Republicans lead by that biitter old fool John McCain and his side kick little lying Lindsey,and that Cruz guy from Texas treated Chuck Hagel a real hero. It was disgusting. And McCain will never be a hero of mines, never.

27. 83 overseasgranny
    February 1, 2013 at 10:38 am

“Barack Obama Plaza Creates 60 new jobs for Moneygall
    by Eoin Kelleher

After years of delay and expectations, the €6m ‘Barack Obama Plaza’ has finally been given the green light….High standard facilties within the Barack Obama Plaza will include a restaurant, convenience shop and fuel facilities and, in addition, will provide broadband connectivity free to visitors. The Plaza will open July 24th.
    The Barack Obama Plaza will provide a community facility for the use of the people of Moneygall…and house on-going displays of both historic and current material marking the relationship between Moneygall and the United States.
    The development will be the only major purpose built motorway facility between Dublin and Limerick and will be a key stopover point through the midlands….International Coach Tours is planning to include the center on their Itinerary in Ireland…Ollie Hayes says Moneygall desperately needs the filling station….there is more.

I also see that President Obama has been invited to Bruff, Co. Limerick to participate in the anniversary of the Kennedy visit re the Fitzgerald side of the family [to which I am related, sort of]

28. February 1, 2013 at 10:40 am
  29. 91 xtine
    February 1, 2013 at 10:42 am

[These are the small, but loud, group out there. I'm calling them "The Unhinged" because they're racists, bigots, vile effers. Funny how they run back under their collective rocks when they're exposed for the maggots they are.]:

“I hear you loud and clear, Barack Obama. You don’t represent the country that I grew up with. And your values is not going to save us. We’re going to take this country back for the Lord. We’re going to try to take this country back for conservatism. And we’re not going to allow minorities to run roughshod over what you people believe in!”

– Arkansas state Sen. Jason Rapert (R), at a Tea Party rally in Arkansas.

• 92 Japa21
      February 1, 2013 at 10:51 am

Well, since the TP is a minority and shrinking daily, I guess she is saying she won’t allow the TP to run roughshod over the rest of us. I am so relieved.

• 93 nospin
      February 1, 2013 at 11:09 am

“we’re not going to allow minorities to run roughshod over what you people believe in!”

Now that is funny as hell. :-) Sunshine is the best disinfectant. Show us who you are.

30. 94 yardarm756
    February 1, 2013 at 10:42 am

Good morning mateys.

31. 117 peppylepew
    February 1, 2013 at 10:47 am

You know one of the things i was dreading with a Romnesia presidency was he would be taking for credit for the Obama economy recovery.

32. February 1, 2013 at 11:02 am

Major renovations ahead:

33. February 1, 2013 at 11:16 am

Oooooh, chuck full of good news. I am loving it. Thanks, Chips.

February 1, 2013 at 11:20 am
    • 127 carolmaewy
      February 1, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I guess I’d fit in the dinosaur avatar because I am not a cell phone user. How do I get it? Please, not anything physical.

February 1, 2013 at 11:26 am

“Daddy,” a little boy asked his father. “How much does it cost to get married?”

“I don’t know, son. I’m still paying for it.”

36. 130 xtine
    February 1, 2013 at 11:26 am

“[.....] Take universal background checks for gun purchases, for example. A CBS News poll found 92% of Americans support the idea. A CNN poll found 97% of American women favor the proposal. This week, Quinnipiac polled voters in Virginia, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania and found between 92% and 95% backing for expanded background checks and requiring checks on people buying firearms at gun shows. [.....]”

37. 131 Maubyandice
    February 1, 2013 at 11:29 am

Hi everyone. Loving all the financial headlines today:

- General Motors says US sales rose 16% in January, cites double-digit sales gains across all brands – @MarketWatch

- US construction spending up 0.9% in December with 1st annual gain since 2006 – @AP

- Ford sees 22% gain in sales in January, its best January performance since 2006 – @USATODAY

- Chevron posts profit in 4th quarter, despite fire damage to company’s oldest refinery last August – @CNBC

- Institute for Supply Management’s manufacturing index rose to 53.1 in January from 50.2 in December – @WSJbreakingnews

Obama’s fault of course.

38. 132 proudofobama
    February 1, 2013 at 11:30 am

Morning, Chips and TOD family. So much great news today. Here’s a link to an awesome letter to Romney/Ryan from a POTUS voter about why they voted for Pres Obama. An excerpt:

I voted for someone.

I voted for a man who brought my childhood friends home from war that they could kiss their wives and tuck their kids in at night.

*I voted for a guy who loves New Jersey more than he dislikes Chris Christie.
    *I voted for the guy who looked in the mirrors of his daughter’s eyes, questioned himself, and changed his mind about marriage equality.
    *I voted for the guy who called Sandra Fluke and told her that her parents should be proud.
    *I voted for the guy who honors the women in his life by ensuring them trust to make their own reproductive and health choices and opportunity to work through glass ceilings with equal pay.
    *I voted for the guy who signed the stimulus that paid for the hearing aids that allowed me to hear my children clearly.
    *I voted for the guy who gave my sister the ability to buy health insurance in spite of pre existing conditions.
    *I voted for the guy who picked Joe Biden for a VP. Joe’s love for his country, his willingness to give of himself, his smarts and experience are top notch.
    *I voted for the guy who was smart enough to put a ring on Michelle Obama’s finger.
    *Most importantly, I voted for the guy who will continue to place America and what is right for her first.

I trust him. When he hears a lone voice in a crowd of plenty shout, “I love you!” He shouts, “I love you back!” See Mitt, Paul, it’s not you… It’s him. I did not vote against you.

39. February 1, 2013 at 11:36 am
  40. 137 dotster3
    February 1, 2013 at 11:38 am

Apologize for the dkos link which I have avoided until now, but this is just too unbelievable and a must see—-the NRA Enemies List.

41. 139 dotster3
    February 1, 2013 at 11:43 am
  42. 145 dotster3
    February 1, 2013 at 11:51 am

Really? They’re really going to pull this junk? That’s a lot of hate.

43. 146 symmetry11
    February 1, 2013 at 11:52 am

Not sure if this has been reported, but Steven Chu will not serve a second term…..
    Today, in a letter to Energy Department employees, I announced my decision not to serve a second term. You can read the letter here: http://energy.gov/articles/letter-secretary-steven-chu-energy-department-employees-announcing-his-decision-not-serve

February 1, 2013 at 11:58 am

It has been known for a couple weeks that he was going to resign. I think Jovie had mentioned it, but it wasn’t officially reported yet. We will miss him – he has done a fabulous job at DOE.

44. February 1, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Schieffer is reporting that the WH is not happy with Hagel’s performance yesterday before the committee and his nom is in trouble. This doesn’t sound like the WH but let’s see if Jay gets confronted with this and whether it’s true or not.

• February 1, 2013 at 12:07 pm

From twitter: White House expects Hagel to beconfirmed, see increase in yes votes since hearing, per WH spokesman

• 150 nospin
      February 1, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I think Hagel will be nominated. If Hagel seemed unprepared it is because he did not expect the reception or disrespect he received. Similar to PO’s response at the first debate. Who would think adults would handle a situation in that manner? No one expected that.
      He was thrown off his game.

Hagel will be fine. He will be nominated and PO will stand behind him.

• February 1, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I think the only thing of concern is the idea that the GOP is threatening to put a hold on his nomination. But I do believe that in the end he will be confirmed.

• February 1, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Well, from TPM:

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Friday that former Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE), President Obama’s pick for defense secretary, answered questions “appropriately” and did a “fine job” at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee. Carney said the White House expects Hagel to be confirmed.

Carney added that the headlines out of the hearing focused on Republicans “badgering” Hagel on issues like the Iraq War.