Feb

Rise and Shine

I’ve only read one article so far today – which kinda explains all the pics and videos :???:  – this one by Charles Blow. Book added to must-buy list:

Charles Blow: Most of what you think you know about Rosa Parks may well be wrong.

On the verge of the 100th anniversary of her birth this Monday comes a fascinating new book, “The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks,” by Jeanne Theoharis, a Brooklyn College professor. It argues that the romanticized, children’s-book story of a meek seamstress with aching feet who just happened into history in a moment of uncalculated resistance is pure mythology.

As Theoharis points out, “Rosa’s family sought to teach her a controlled anger, a survival strategy that balanced compliance with militancy.”

Parks was mostly raised by her grandparents. Her grandfather, a follower of Marcus Garvey, often sat vigil on the porch with a rifle in case the Klan came. She sometimes sat with him because, as the book says she put it, “I wanted to see him kill a Ku Kluxer.”

When she was a child, a young white man taunted her. In turn, she threatened him with a brick. Her grandmother reprimanded her as “too high-strung,” warning that Rosa would be lynched before the age of 20. Rosa responded, “I would be lynched rather than be run over by them.”

More here

Kerry Washington at last night’s NAACP awards:

From yesterday’s Washington Post, the First Lady looking fabulous (thank you Lisa!):

Washington Post: Michelle Obama grooving to the songs of Musiq Soulchild at the Howard Theatre Thursday night. The first lady, with a group including Valerie Jarrett who were said to be celebrating a friend’s birthday, arrived around 8 p.m., stayed through the duration of the concert, and greeted the R&B singer backstage.

Four years ago today:

President Barack Obama visits with his daughters Malia and Sasha and kisses his wife, First Lady Michelle Obama, in a private study off the Oval Office, Feb. 2, 2009. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Three years ago today:

President Barack Obama walks to the Oval Office after returning to the White House following a trip to Nashua, N.H., Feb. 2, 2010. (Official White House Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

Two years ago today:

Vice President Joe Biden talks with Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., after President Barack Obama signed the New START Treaty in the Oval Office, Feb. 2, 2011. Behind them, the President talks with Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

One year ago today, Pete Souza’s rival:

Vice President Joe Biden snaps a photo of President Barack Obama and keynote speaker Eric Metaxas during the National Prayer Breakfast at the Washington Hilton Hotel in Washington, D.C., Feb. 2, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

This is the kind of photo I usually take, you know – slightly important elements missing, like heads. But I’m guessing the photographer at yesterday’s National Medal of Science and the National Medal of Technology and Innovation awards was just impressed with the tie. And hands.

Head included in this one:

In case you missed the ceremony, it was great:

NY_NYP

MoooOOOooOOOoooorning!

130 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 cookemom
    February 2, 2013 at 9:18 am

Happy Day O’s! You’ll be glad to know on this great getting up day that Spring is right around the corner. Cookemom didn’t see our shadows this morning, neither did the groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil

You’ve got to get up
    You’ve got to get up
    You’ve got to get up this morning
    You’ve got to get up
    You’ve got to get up
    Get up with the bugler’s call

The major told the captain
    The captain told the sergeant
    The sergeant told the bugler
    The bugler told them all

The hardest blow of all
    Is to hear the bugler call–

You gotta get up
    You gotta get up
    You gotta get up this morning – Reveille (unofficial lyrics)

February 2, 2013 at 9:20 am

Morning! Cookemom!!!

February 2, 2013 at 9:25 am

GM folks.

February 2, 2013 at 9:28 am

:) amk….I tried to comment here using FF last night, and I couldn’t get the curser to cooperate in the reply box. What should I do about that? :)

• 30 Dudette
      February 2, 2013 at 10:10 am

Ahhhhhhh…. Heeeeee-larious! I could swear that’s exactly what my puppy-nephew is thinking when he’s constantly trying to lick my face.

• 31 carolmaewy
      February 2, 2013 at 12:03 pm

That looks like my golden boy Bear. I’m sure I’ve mentioned him. :cool: I also have a little black boy named Sammy, the cutest pound puppy in the world. I’ve heard people don’t don’t usually black dogs. Why, I don’t know. Everyone in pheasant country wanted a black lab. I think they are beautiful. Hard to take a good photo of unless your Pete Souza phoning the cutest dog First dog. Gerald Ford had Golden Retrievers and she had puppies in White House. His dog kept the line going at least until she wrote a book about animals and how to decorate your house around them. Yes, I also read cookbooks and gardening books and many others. 👓👀👅📕📗📘📙📓📔📒📚📖That is all.

February 2, 2013 at 9:27 am

So the dood has to “visit with his daughters” in his own home ? Jeez, what did he get into?

February 2, 2013 at 9:28 am
  6. 39 pugeretto
    February 2, 2013 at 9:29 am

Hey, congrats on 1st Cookemom & 2nd Deserflower —Gotta Get Up! :-) Have a good weekend everyone. Great post & that last cartoon is a great zinger – ha.

7. February 2, 2013 at 9:30 am

G’morning everyone – Chips, TOD, lurkers etc, and congrats cookemom on #1! :)

February 2, 2013 at 9:32 am
    February 2, 2013 at 9:37 am

tweet the tundra twit toon.

how’s that for alliteration?

February 2, 2013 at 9:47 am

just trying to post using FF…..looks like it works:) Totally weird to me not seeing that blinking curser!

11. 57 JER
    February 2, 2013 at 9:53 am

According to the Moscow Times, R&B group Boyz II Men has been hired to help boost Russia’s birth rate by performing their romantic songs. It’s all part of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s three-year quest to raise the birth rate to three children per household. http://news.yahoo.com/video/russian-president-hires-boyz-ii-075600310.html

12. February 2, 2013 at 9:57 am

Toon of the year! Good riddance to that grifter, Such a disgusting person!

Gooooood morning all!

13. 65 Janelle
    February 2, 2013 at 9:59 am

OMG!!!I laughed for a FULL 15 min. watching the YouTube on the Tangela recap of Scandal—-posted at the end of the last thread. Thanks meta for posting that—–I have never seen anything like that!!!! A full 15 minutes of laughter…..I sooooo needed that break!!!

February 2, 2013 at 9:59 am
  15. 69 dotster3
    February 2, 2013 at 10:00 am

What??? CNN has lost all its marbles….

16. February 2, 2013 at 10:09 am

I loved the Science and Technology medals ceremony.

As a physicist, it warms my heart to see that a country pays homage to its scientists and inventors; and I *can* understand approximately 80 % of the terms used in describing the achievements of these medalists.

BTW, was the President just coming up with his introduction without any written material (I didn’t see him look down on notes, or any teleprompter) ?

17. 80 HZ
    February 2, 2013 at 10:10 am

Good Morning Chips and my TOD Family. Lovely Sat. to everyone. Enjoy your day with lots of hope for continued great change. We are the ones to bring it on. ((((( Love you all so much.)))))))HZ

February 2, 2013 at 10:21 am

I LOVE that pic #6 of PBO (closed mouth) smiling.

February 2, 2013 at 10:25 am
    • 83 Dudette
      February 2, 2013 at 10:30 am

ugh :roll:

• 84 99ts
      February 2, 2013 at 10:43 am

The WH Press Gaggle really like to ask the hard questions – Carney is just too nice – no-one needs to see the President with a gun – and wait for the RWNJs to start talking about the validity of the photo

February 2, 2013 at 10:43 am

That picture of POTUS skeet shooting makes no difference to those NRA gun crazy lovers, they still think he want to come take the thing they love the most in the world, their GUNS.

• February 2, 2013 at 11:01 am
    • 92 dotster3
      February 2, 2013 at 11:02 am

I was not going to post that because it is the 1st photo that I have not liked of PBO. I am sorry that they released it/felt pressure to release it/skeetgate. Should have just ignored the usual brouhaha. In fact, never should have mentioned this in the first place.

• 93 Virginia
        February 2, 2013 at 11:06 am

I agree. And the problem is, they won’t believe it’s him anyway, so why bother? I know why they did it, but is Not my favorite picture of the President.

• 94 prettyfoot58
          February 2, 2013 at 11:40 am

to add what Hopefriuit said up thread i think this was released for the “more reasonable”gun owners….the nutt jobs are not the audience to whom he is speaking to…..

• 95 debz
        February 2, 2013 at 11:07 am

This photo would have shown up on the WH twitter feed, so what difference would it make? There was video of Kennedy Skeet shooting, so get the photo out there before the RW nuts make it the biggest issue in history.

• 99 Dudette
        February 2, 2013 at 11:12 am

That was my first reaction to the whole discussion dotster, but I think anniebella’s right. It’s not gonna change the minds of the rabid gun nuts anyway. They’re not coming from logic, it’s just hate of PBO – as evidenced by the lies that they’ve perpetrated about him coming to get their guns for the last 4 years. Nothing he says or does will matter to the nutballers, so he might as well not operate out of fear of what they think.

February 2, 2013 at 11:17 am

They did not feel any “pressure” to release this. They are making a mockery out of the MSM and basically putting them in the same category as the RWNJ’s who the MSM loves to mock. Jessica Yellin of CNN was pushing for a picture because she supposedly did not believe it…this is making a complete mockery out of the media vis a vis the birther issue and Donald Trump.

• February 2, 2013 at 11:06 am

GM Chipsticks, TOD. Have faith, the WH press shop is just trolling all the wingnuts. Its the weekend they figured why not have a little fun w/ the crazies. Already seen some RW saying it cant be a real b/c the angle of the gun is wrong for skeet shooting. Sit back and laugh…

• 105 prettyfoot58
        February 2, 2013 at 11:49 am

This was to stop the Press meme in its tracks..just as showing his birth certificate stopped the MSM from asking questions about the birther nonsense….the photos will stop the press from trying to distract from PBOs message about getting sensible gun saftey laws….

BOON!

• February 2, 2013 at 11:25 am

The photo is NOT to convince NRA or NRA lovers of anything. It was not just the rwnj asking for this photo, it came from the white house press corp and the washington post as well. Pretty obvious from David Plouffe’s tweet that the WH doesn’t think the photo will stop the conspiracy theories.

• February 2, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I’ll tell you one thing about that picture – the dude knows how to shoot. That was not his first time firing a shotgun, for sure.

February 2, 2013 at 10:37 am

Happy Saturday, EVERYONE! (It’s probably Sunday morning for those ‘down under’, so ‘Happy, Happy’ whatever day it is in your corner of the world.)

Once again I notice that Cookemom has already set the day’s tone (you’ve been an excellent ‘student’, CM – way surpassing the tutor), so there’s no sense me looking for any reason to gripe. Not that I have any. :lol: :lol: :lol:

• February 2, 2013 at 10:39 am

Moooooorning VC! It’s probably only Thursday in Canada, so: Happy Thursday Canada people!

February 2, 2013 at 10:45 am

CC, are you hinting at my slowness again, or complimenting me on my speed – as in, I’m way ahead of you guys? Be careful how you answer, or I might set McCain on you with his surge fetish. :twisted:

• February 2, 2013 at 10:47 am

No, no, no VC – I meant next Thursday!

February 2, 2013 at 10:52 am

Phew! Good choice! I’ll cancel that pending call to Johnnie McC.

ps: With your wise choice, I can confess the punishment would have actually hurt me more than you – THAT ONE is one politician the sight alone of whom is enough to put me in a bad mood. Lord forbid when he opens his mouth!

• 113 99ts
      February 2, 2013 at 10:44 am

1.43am Sunday here – bed time – have a great day everyone

21. February 2, 2013 at 10:38 am

How about that? Starting out the morning read with tears, laughter and information. Thanks chips. It can only happen on TOD.

February 2, 2013 at 10:51 am

A blonde is filling out an application form for a job.

She promptly fills the columns entitled NAME, AGE, ADDRESS, etc.

Then she comes to the column: SALARY EXPECTED.

Thinks for 10 minutes and then writes ”Yes.”

February 2, 2013 at 11:10 am

A (cruel) segue, Chips? Looking at the 4yrs ago, 3 yrs ago, etc pictures (which I really, really, really appreciate your sharing) I suddenly remember that I haven’t seen ‘An Image or Two’ for the remainder of 2012! ‘Fess up! Did you post them at a time when I was otherwise engaged, or …..?

• February 2, 2013 at 11:12 am

Ha, no VC, never got around to making them!

February 2, 2013 at 11:24 am

No problemo. Just think of me as your personal task-organizer-palm-piloty-reminder-person and this is your first gentle reminder.

/covers ears AND back of head as she moves quickly out of the range of colourful words or stones C might be tempted to let loose. ‘The nerve and greed of some TODobots! But then again, CC is the one who has spoilt me/us, so it’s *her* fault.’ /

23. 122 anniebella
    February 2, 2013 at 10:59 am

Every now and then I’m so glad to see FLOTUS can get out and hang with some of her friends. I am so glad she is our First Lady, but it can’t be easy living your life in the spotlight, the fishbowl where everything you say, do, or wear is talk about. Where a quiet dinner with your husband is no longer a dinner for two. Simple things like a shopping trip to Target or a walk in the park is forbidden.

February 2, 2013 at 11:02 am
  25. 126 anniebella
    February 2, 2013 at 11:02 am

I wish FLOTUS and POTUS could go to the Super Bowl, sit right in the V.I.P box, but we know all the talk which will be done if that happen.

26. 127 Virginia
    February 2, 2013 at 11:03 am

The First Lady looks fantastic at the Howard Theater in Washington. Showing my age, but I LOVE the Howard, and spent many of my teen years and beyond there before they closed it down about 35 years ago. (ALL the great acts have performed there since the early 1900s. It’s the oldest Black theater in the country–even older than the Apollo).
    After several attempts at renovation, it was finally completed and reopened last year. The remodel is just beautiful. They have a bountiful (and delicious) Gospel Brunch on Sundays. I haven’t been to any evening shows yet, but sure wish I’d been there last Thursday!!

February 2, 2013 at 11:15 am

Virginia she does look fantastic. And thanks for the info about the Howard Theater, I never have heard about it. And I too would have love to been there last Thursday night.

• 129 cookemom
      February 2, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Oh my Virginia my #2 went to Howard University and when cookeman and I would go to DC, we passed there during renovation and remarked how nice it would be when they finished the restoration. I’m glad to hear it’s up and running.