Feb

Rise and Shine

Three years ago today: A bronze bust of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is visible in the foreground as President Obama meets with senior advisors in the Oval Office, Feb. 4, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Today (All times EST):

10:15: President Obama departs the White House

11:15: VP Biden and Dr Jill Biden arrive in London

1:00: President Obama arrives in Minneapolis

1:30 Participates in a discussion with local leaders and law enforcement officials (Pool spray at the top)

2:30 Delivers remarks on a comprehensive set of ideas to reduce gun violence (Live coverage)

3:35 Departs Minneapolis, Minnesota

5:45 Arrives Joint Base Andrews

6:0 Arrives the White House

The week ahead:

Tuesday: The President will attend meetings at the White House

Wednesday: Attends the Democratic Senate Caucus Retreat in Annapolis, Maryland

Thursday: Delivers remarks at the National Prayer Breakfast. In the afternoon, the President will travel to Leesburg, VA to deliver remarks at the House Democratic Issues Conference

Friday: Attends meetings at the White House

Steve Benen: Last night, if you were watching the Super Bowl you saw a rather powerful ad on gun policy  …. The spot, sponsored by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, urges policymakers to approve a universal background check, and features “America, the Beautiful” against the backdrop of young children.

About 12 hours earlier, Americans could see theNRA’s Wayne LaPierre on “Fox News Sunday,” making a very different kind of argument: “I make the same thing during the campaign, when he said to people I will not take away your rifle, shotgun, handgun. They leafletted the country with flyers like this, ‘Obama is not going to take your gun, Obama is going to protect gun rights.’ And, now, he’s trying to take away all three.”

…..  therein lies the problem: the policy debate has become increasingly strained because one of the most influential lobbying groups in Washington relies on arguments based on evidence the organization has simply made up…..

Full post here

Josh Marshall (TPM): I just found out that last September the NRA published an official list of gun enemies including the ADA, AMA, ADL, Mel Brooks, Chaka Khan and hundreds of other domestic gun enemies…..

The following organizations have lent monetary, grassroots or some other type of direct support to anti-gun organizations. In many instances, these organizations lent their name in support of specific campaigns to pass anti-gun legislation such as the March 1995 HCI “Campaign to Protect Sane Gun Laws.” Many of these organizations were listed as “Campaign Partners,” for having pledged to fight any efforts to repeal the Brady Act and the Clinton “assault weapons” ban. All have officially endorsed anti-gun positions.

More here

Michael Tomasky: The Strangest NRA Story Yet – The fact that the NRA was keeping a list of its foes isn’t all that bizarre. But the list itself is positively loony — yet more evidence of just how nuts the NRA is

One of the sure markers of the paranoid mind is the urge to keep lists. In particular, lists of enemies, subversives, no-goodniks ….  It virtually goes without saying that the keepers of such lists are always the bullies who survive by fomenting hatred and making sure that their constituents stay in a state of constant agitation. And so it was no surprise to learn over the weekend that the NRA has a little list of 497 people and organizations who are in some way, shape, or form anti-gun. It makes for hilarious reading, although it’s sort of frightening to think about the demented minds of the people who assembled it.

More here

Paul Krugman: ….. There was, however, one piece of the reform that was a shining example of how to do it right: the creation of a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, a stand-alone agency with its own funding, charged with protecting consumers against financial fraud and abuse. And sure enough, Senate Republicans are going all out in an attempt to kill that bureau.

….. Right now, all the media focus is on the obvious hot issues — immigration, guns, the sequester, and so on. But let’s try not to let this one fall through the cracks: just four years after runaway bankers brought the world economy to its knees, Senate Republicans are using every means at their disposal, violating all the usual norms of politics in the process, in an attempt to give the bankers a chance to do it all over again.

Full article here

Steve Benen: Long-time viewers of The Rachel Maddow Show may recall the “Geek Week” segments aired in May 2010, which included an interview with Energy Secretary Steven Chu. (The segment also noted why At Least I Am A Nerd.com still redirects to the show’s video player.)

Nearly three years later, we’ve learned that Chu, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist, will leave his post in President Obama’s second term, stepping down from the Department of Energy later this month. With this in mind, it’s worth pausing to appreciate the significance of Chu’s first-term efforts, which haven’t generated front-page news, but which carry extraordinary significance…..

More here

Morning!

230 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 cookemom
    February 4, 2013 at 8:57 am

Wake up all you O’s!!!! It’s another great getting up day again on the TOD stump!!!

Wake up everybody no more sleepin in bed
    No more backward thinkin time for thinkin ahead
    The world has changed so very much
    From what it used to be so
    there is so much hatred war an’ poverty
    Wake up all the teachers time to teach a new way
    Maybe then they’ll listen to whatcha have to say
    Cause they’re the ones who’s coming up and the world is in their hands
    when you teach the children teach em the very best you can.

The world won’t get no better if we just let it be
    The world won’t get no better we gotta change it yeah,
    just you and me.

Wake up all the doctors make the ol’ people well
    They’re the ones who suffer an’ who catch all the hell
    But they don’t have so very long before the Judgement Day
    So won’tcha make them happy before they pass away.
    Wake up all the builders time to build a new land
    I know we can do it if we all lend a hand
    The only thing we have to do is put it in our mind
    Surely things will work out they do it every time.

The world won’t get no better if we just let it be
    The world won’t get no better we gotta change it yeah,
    just you and me. – Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes

2. 5 JER
    February 4, 2013 at 8:57 am

Good morning everybody!

3. 7 cookemom
    February 4, 2013 at 8:58 am

Chips there’s a big soccer scandal brewing. It’s gonna be big form what I hear. Do you know anything about it?

• 8 99ts
      February 4, 2013 at 9:03 am

Think its almost over early riser cookemom :) http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807
      been under investigation for quite some time – more Germany than UK it seems

• February 4, 2013 at 9:09 am

Looks like it’s mainly Germany arlight 99ts, but one Champions League match that took place in England is under investigation – that’s the biggie! Would have involved one of England’s top 4/5 clubs, me intrigued!

February 4, 2013 at 9:03 am

Grrr, I missed it! Congrats, Cookem! You were so smart not to waste time commenting on the end of previous thread. I restrained myself all the way through, but then succumbed when Hf stepped on my own toes. ;)

Okay, TODobots, it’s Monday, Chips’ favourite day of the week! I can just imagine how alert she is today after all that Super Bowl-ing and re-watching of *certain* ads :lol:

Morning, Evening, Happy Monday, you all, wherever you are!

• 11 99ts
        February 4, 2013 at 9:06 am

I missed it too vc – have to admit, I was venting somewhat on the last thread.

February 4, 2013 at 9:12 am

Good Monday night/Tuesday morning, 99ts! I have decided that I won’t vent when people are so ‘outraged’ that they push the same button repeatedly – too much credibility, and too much space, given them. I was rolling my eyes or chuckling at the absurdity when my friend, Hopefruit stepped on my sensitive toes, so I had to tap her shoulder and tell her. ;)

• 13 99ts
            February 4, 2013 at 9:22 am

Hi vc – it was the choice of words that did me in – but all’s good now – I just have to remember to take deep breaths – and be thankful it is not yet possible to discharge weapons over the internet.

It is just too sad that so many arguments in the “real” world end up with gunfire, so I keep hoping that this time you will all get it sorted. I am happy living without the guns.

February 4, 2013 at 9:37 am

Not a rule, 99ts, but I think arguments sometimes end up in gunfire when they start out with inflammatory words. I make it a rule not to dialogue with people who start out with (what I consider) unprovoked angry swearing. (I don’t like the un-angry swearing either, but I have learned to step around that.) I sorta like words, and it touches something ‘off’ in me when people reach for the lowest form of language to START what they consider a valid discussion. Such a start is an indication to me that I couldn’t have a meeting of minds with them, so I don’t bother trying.

• 15 99ts
                February 4, 2013 at 9:45 am

good point vc – it was the angry swearing that caught me – I have been known to swear – and quite often – but not in that fashion in print. I rather like that something so negative has turned into a positive discussion – thanks.

February 4, 2013 at 9:23 am

LOL! Vc didn’t mean to step on your toes – I apologize.

I just had to address Joy’s nonsense, which she has been pushing since weeks ago.

• 17 Joy
              February 4, 2013 at 9:28 am

You’ve got a problem hope fruit , and you need to let it go.

February 4, 2013 at 9:39 am

Stop projecting: You’re the one with the problem who seems unable to “let go.” You’ve been agitating, hurling insults and accusations about the same damn issue for the last several months. Don’t come here with the same passive-aggressive behavior and expect me to ignore it. If Chips wants to ban me from this blog, then so be it.

VC felt that I stepped on her toes because I stated that you were blogging from Canada – which is the TRUTH. I didn’t say anything negative to or about VC. Other people accused you of being a paid RW troll, from Red State, DKOS, etc, yet I’m the one who has the problem?

• 19 Joy
                  February 4, 2013 at 10:24 am

yeah, you do have a problem…you seem to analysis far too much.

February 4, 2013 at 10:28 am

It’s a problem for you because truth and analysis are clearly not your strengths. Hyperbole & propaganda sans facts seem to be your strengths. You’d fit in quite well with the American corporate media!

P.S. I’m glad to have that “problem.”

February 4, 2013 at 9:42 am

Apology accepted, this time, ……and I hear you. :razz: HOWEVER, sometimes……. some things……. are not …… /bite your tongue, VC/…

• 24 carolmaewy
        February 4, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Which add was she watching over and over? Calvin Klein?

• February 4, 2013 at 9:05 am

Just heard about it Cookemom, Chelsea are probably in the middle of it, Manchester United are too pure to get involved in that kind of thing.

Sounds ugly, but match-fixing has been going on for ages, looks like they’ve finally got some evidence – lots of it!

• 28 utaustinliberal
        February 4, 2013 at 9:22 am

oooOOOOOOOOOooooh….them are fighting words. If there’s any cheating scandal, we all know Man U would be leading the charge. There’ve been suspicions for years that Man U does match-fixing and pays referees to cheat for them. Recent example is Oct. 28, 2012. Clear cheating took place and sports commenters from the BBC to the Guardian all wrote articles and tweeted about it.

• February 4, 2013 at 9:24 am

“There’ve been suspicions for years that Man U does match-fixing and pays referees to cheat for them.”

Are you on drugs UT?

• 30 utaustinliberal
            February 4, 2013 at 9:27 am

You know it’s true Chiparoo. Recent example is Oct. 28, 2012. Clear cheating and sports reporters everywhere commented on it. Classic Man U cheating at its best.

• 32 Japa21
            February 4, 2013 at 9:27 am

Apparently, she has not cooled down from last Friday. Still in a denial of reality stage.

• February 4, 2013 at 9:37 am

:-) Oooooooh, you’re gonna get it Japa!

• 43 utaustinliberal
              February 4, 2013 at 9:45 am

It’s Monday, so I’m going to refrain from saying how you couldn’t even remember the name of your college because it hasn’t accomplished anything of worth. It’s Monday, so I’m going to refrain from saying how you couldn’t even remember the name of your college because it doesn’t have anyone of note who graduated. It’s Monday, so I’m going to refrain from saying how you couldn’t even remember the name of your college because it’s not as great at UT Austin which has Nobel Prize winners, Pulitzer Prize winners, has scientists and people in technology who received the National Science and National Technology awards, is building a medical school, is a pioneer in HIV research which can improve the lives of HIV patients and is coming up with vaccinations that can help save peoples lives.

It’s Monday, so I’m going to hold back.

February 4, 2013 at 9:48 am

‘It’s Monday, so I’m going to hold back.’

Thank YOU, Utal! Blessings! :lol: :lol: Have a TERRIFIC Monday!

• 46 Japa21
                February 4, 2013 at 9:55 am

And I do appraciate your restraint, although I will tell you that I did finally remember the name and last I checked my school whopped up on UT Austin in basketball in December. Also, already has a medical school plus one of the highest rated schools of veterinary medicine in the country, has nobel prizes to its credit and, most importantly of all, is the alma mater of one of the greatest people in the world, moi.

February 4, 2013 at 9:45 am

/slapping forehead/ Groan! There she goes again, stirring up trouble! Sigh! Moments like these I think of Chips Chica’s poor mother – she must have been quite a handful to steer (away from ‘trouble’) in her youth! :roll:

4. February 4, 2013 at 8:59 am

Goodmorning Chips and TOD and congrats cookemom and JER

February 4, 2013 at 9:02 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone, and congratulations cookemom on #1! :)

6. 55 99ts
    February 4, 2013 at 9:04 am

Hello everyone – did I hear VP Biden was in Paris? Is the media too busy with skeet shooting to show some pictures?

• February 4, 2013 at 9:07 am

Morning 99ts, yes, VP Biden in France, then England today – busy man!

• 57 99ts
        February 4, 2013 at 9:11 am

I shall check out the British press – they will probably have some pics.

• February 4, 2013 at 9:16 am

Vice President Joe Biden accompanied by his wife Jill Biden waves as he walks out of Air Force Two upon their arrival at the Orly airport, south of Paris, for his first visit in France February 3

Vice President Joe Biden is greeted by France’s President Francois Hollande during his arrival at the Elysee Palace in Paris, February 4

• 59 99ts
            February 4, 2013 at 9:25 am

Wonderful – He is a perfect representative of the President and your country – I had never heard of him until Sen Obama selected him as his running mate – brilliant choice.

• 60 Joy
              February 4, 2013 at 9:37 am

I never say thanks to you Chip and I read your blog everyday, thanks for all of these fantastic photos that you put here, it is why I come back every day. These are really historic photos that you provide. Thanks for your hard work in this and providing this blog for people to voice their opinion. Maybe sometimes not so good, and sometimes passionate.

February 4, 2013 at 9:08 am

One thing is fersure. It’s the fans who are getting played.

8. 72 swbluega
    February 4, 2013 at 9:13 am

Good morning everyone!!!

9. February 4, 2013 at 9:13 am

A gentle reminder everyone: the blog doesn’t have many rules, but one of them is ‘be civil to each other’. Pleeeeeeeeease when you’re disagreeing with someone’s point of view, don’t be personally abusive, just argue things out – or ignore each other. Thanking you.

• 74 dotster3
      February 4, 2013 at 9:44 am

Thank you for that reminder, that it’s possible to state your disagreement without the personal insults that seem to increase in vitriol with each subsequent comment. Personally, I like a little variance in opinion, makes things more interesting. And it’s perfectly understandable that not everyone will see every issue in the exact same way and all have a right to express themselves. And President Obama has set the example on how to behave when you have an opposing opinion—–state your case in a dignified manner and move on down the road.

• February 4, 2013 at 9:51 am

Hiya Dotster. I’m one to talk, it’s a regular occurence for me to lose my head in a, well, heated debate, but again, I’m just asking everyone here to leave out the personal insults when they’re disagreeing with each other, it’s horrible.

• 76 carolmaewy
      February 4, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Unless football is involved? ;)

10. 77 cookemom
    February 4, 2013 at 9:16 am

It’s snowing on my side of TOD, which means no running today. For exercise, I’m seriously considering removing the snow manually with one of those nearly extinct shovel thingys. That would probably cause much conversation around the neighbor’s breakfast table as the young ones ask, ‘what’s that thing Mrs. Cookemom has in her hands, why is she throwing the snow, why doesn’t the snow just blow out of it?’

• 78 amk for obama
      February 4, 2013 at 9:20 am

You want to get back that into that dress you ‘donated’ to Beyonce y’day night badly, dontcha?

• 84 99ts
      February 4, 2013 at 9:54 am

My mother used to make wonderful cakes, Tuesday was baking day – when I was 16 I was passable at making them myself. By the time I was 25 the ability was gone with the wind.

When my daughter turned 5, one of her older cousins offered to make her a birthday cake & she replied “How do you do that – cakes come from the cake shop – you don’t make them” sigh

February 4, 2013 at 9:58 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Cookemom, you almost always make me laugh. What do you mean .’nearly extinct shovel thingys’? My three are well-used (well, not so much so far this winter)! Can’t afford those new-fangled snowblower thingy which die after a little while anyways, but I can SO hear a little 21st century child asking that question.

11. February 4, 2013 at 9:19 am

GM Chipsticks, TOD. I see you soccer hooligans are throwing a tizzy over Qatar buying the world cup, or whatever other currupt thing that goings on in CONCAF/FIFA………. I remember the good ol days when it was just about Klinsmann, Maridona and Norreaga buying off the Columbian national team. Whats wrong w/ you people?

12. 99 Joy
    February 4, 2013 at 9:21 am

Hey UT, do you need any help on your mac book lately?

February 4, 2013 at 9:23 am
  14. February 4, 2013 at 9:29 am

Good Morning, Everyone :)

February 4, 2013 at 9:29 am

An Iraqi war veteran has been charged with murdering ex-US Navy Seal sniper Chris Kyle and his neighbour in Texas.

Eddie Ray Routh, 25, is accused of the shootings at a gun range on Saturday.

Mr Kyle and his neighbour Chad Littlefield were reported to have been trying to help Mr Routh deal with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

///

The gunman opened fire at about 15:30 local time (21:30 GMT) at the Rough Creek Lodge range, then fled in a pick-up truck belonging to one of the victims, local media reported.

Erath County Sheriff Tommy Bryant said Mr Routh then travelled to his sister’s home, telling her what had happened before leaving.

She called the police and Mr Routh was arrested near his home in Lancaster, Texas, more than 70 miles (110 km) from the scene of the shooting, several hours later.

• 110 99ts
      February 4, 2013 at 9:33 am

There were 3 victims here. Mr Routh will no doubt spend the rest of his life in jail where there will be little, if any, help for his condition. Was this amateur psychology I wonder? It will be interesting to hear on who’s recommendation they took him shooting. It’s truly sad.

February 4, 2013 at 9:34 am

I bet that match-fixing that occurred in England during the Champions League has something to do with Manchester United. Loser team with dirty players. They cheated along with the referee on Oct. 28, 2012 and I wouldn’t be surprised if they were part of this cheating ring. It’s just a matter of time eh Man U? Alex Ferguson, Rooney and all of them. Tainted.

Seriously NRA? Chaka Kan is a “gun enemy?” The ridiculous carries on.

Sad to see Sec. Chu leave. He was one of the unsung heroes of the Obama administration and was the reason the oil spill was resolved. His invention came through brilliantly. The energy policies he advocated makes the country stronger. I wish him well in his future endeavors.

17. 115 57andfemale
    February 4, 2013 at 9:36 am

And in totally unrelated news (but very cool): archeologists have found the body of Richard III (“beyond a reasonable doubt”) interred in what is now a parking lot, but what was a church in Leicester.

DNA matches, skeleton, injuries consistent with the contemporary descriptions of his humiliation wounds and desecration.

The last English monarch whose remains had not been located.

Cool!

• 116 99ts
      February 4, 2013 at 10:00 am

They were a bloodthirsty lot – most of those kings – any rival had to be killed off before they had a chance to kill. Didn’t use guns very often either. Some seriously horrible deaths. I was recently reading a history of the monarchy from 1066 – the intrigue was never ending.

• 117 carolmaewy
      February 5, 2013 at 12:07 am

They were right were the map said they were supposed to be!

18. 118 swbluega
    February 4, 2013 at 9:36 am

Some of the prior threads had discussions concerning gun control legislation. Thanks for the links to some of the ads that have been produced.

Just my two cents…

From what I can tell, most of the gun control legislation being proposed is focused on tracking purchases and limiting access (e.g., background checks). It seems to me that people will buy the automatic and assault weapons and magazine clips as long as they are available to buy. What legislation is being proposed that directly impacts the manufacturers and retailers (including the promoters of gun shows)? What legislation is being proposed that focuses on deterring the production and retail of these weapons and ammunition for purchase other than for the military (after all, when is the last time the military purchased is weaponry from Walmart)? I know that this would be difficult given the deep pockets and lobbyists, but just wondered if this was an approach had even the slightest degree of feasibility.

I’m sure there are more enlightened, more knowledgeable, and more eloquent TODer’s who can elaborate on the pros and cons of such a suggestion…just want to know what others think.

• 119 theo67
      February 4, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I think that the assault weapons ban will limit what production occurs and what manufacturers and retailers can get away with. I think it would be impossible to completely control production/manufacture, given the beliefs about a free market and limited government control of commerce, but banning the military style weapons at least designates them as controlled substances, to some degree.

I think a real problem is getting a hold of what is already out there. There are over 300 million guns in circulation, and not a few rocket launchers, from what we’ve seen… When people have to conduct background checks before private sales, we can start to get a handle on what’s being sold to whom outside of the traditional gun store sales. If guns need to be registered, even better.

This is definitely a tricky problem, because the NRA have successfully tied gun ownership to “freedom”, which is a joke. There are plenty of countries who have active gun cultures (Canada, being one of them), and the levels of massacre do not reach the same heights (or lows). Even one step in the right direction in this case will make a huge difference.

19. February 4, 2013 at 9:36 am

SOS John Kerry is speaking in the internet….no TV carrying the statements…MEDIA and CSPAN FAIL

20. February 4, 2013 at 9:37 am
  21. 124 dotster3
    February 4, 2013 at 9:57 am

Nooooooo. No Tagg. No more Romneys. Spare us!

• 125 99ts
      February 4, 2013 at 10:07 am

They don’t seem to “do anything” this family – other than shuffle money around & get a % of that money while shuffling. Do I have that right? Mitt keeps saying he was a business man – when all I have seen is that he was a financier – or even a financial advisor.

• 127 amk for obama
      February 4, 2013 at 10:21 am

uugghh….

February 4, 2013 at 10:22 am

For a family not really interested in service, they sure are eager to get one of their own into a political position where he can manipulate regulations.

• 129 Joy
      February 4, 2013 at 10:34 am

I guess money will get you into running for a senate seat though republican ties. Not nice!

• 130 jackiegrumbacher
      February 4, 2013 at 11:05 am

Really, this is the best the Mass. GOP could come up with? It’s not like the Romney name is magic in the state. I guess his mom said, no.

February 4, 2013 at 10:04 am

Ok….C-SPAN, CNN, and MSNBC say Pres. Obama will speak at 2:30PM ET yet Chipsticks says 12:30PM ET. Which is it?

23. 141 ranman11
    February 4, 2013 at 10:05 am

Good morning Ms. Chips and TOD family. I hope everyone had a super Super Bowl weekend (I know I did :D) and going forward today, I hope for everyone to have beautiful and exquisite day today. Congrats Cookemom on what appears to be your 100th straight first position :D. I love your tenaciousness. :)

24. February 4, 2013 at 10:12 am

Good morning, TODville! It’s Monday but we get to hear our POTUS soon on a very important subject.

Congrats to the Ravens and Baltimore on a hard-fought game. The music was the best part of the whole event! Oh, and the food and drinks!

25. 143 JER
    February 4, 2013 at 10:14 am

|Live | President Obama departs for Minnesota : http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

February 4, 2013 at 10:17 am
  27. February 4, 2013 at 10:25 am
  28. February 4, 2013 at 10:25 am
  29. 152 Allison
    February 4, 2013 at 10:26 am
    • 153 cookemom
      February 4, 2013 at 10:31 am

I can’t wait to see the completed renovations. I fully expect teabutts to writhe in agony at the changes.

• February 4, 2013 at 10:38 am

It will take at least 2 years for the renovations. I really hope it doesn’t veer too much off schedule so PBO could return and enjoy the new Oval Office.

• 155 theo67
        February 4, 2013 at 12:29 pm

They are probably improving the technology and maybe security in the room. Those phones seem very outdated.

30. 156 Pamela
    February 4, 2013 at 10:28 am

Y’all! :)

31. February 4, 2013 at 10:37 am

Okay, the official – hopefully correct – schedule:

CST

12:00PM THE PRESIDENT arrives Minneapolis, Minnesota

12:30PM THE PRESIDENT participates in a discussion with local leaders and law enforcement officials (Pool Spray at the Top)

1:30PM THE PRESIDENT delivers remarks on a comprehensive set of commonsense ideas to reduce gun violence

2:35PM THE PRESIDENT departs Minneapolis, Minnesota

EST

5:45PM THE PRESIDENT arrives Joint Base Andrews

6:00PM THE PRESIDENT arrives the White House

*****

And the EST only version for people like me who can’t add or subtract:

1:00 The President arrives Minneapolis, Minnesota

1:30 The President participates in a discussion with local leaders and law enforcement officials

2:30 The President delivers remarks on a comprehensive set of commonsense ideas to reduce gun violence

3:35 The President departs Minneapolis, Minnesota

5:45 The President arrives Joint Base Andrews

6:00 The President arrives the White House

February 4, 2013 at 10:43 am

Please proceed Tagg.

February 4, 2013 at 10:43 am
  34. 176 Linda
    February 4, 2013 at 10:50 am

Hi,

Anyone besides me hear that person yapping about Kerry and Hagel on the open mic watching AF1 take off ? I could only catch a few words.

Something about watching the Hagel hearing on c-span re-run Saturday Morning….then I think I heard the words ” Wow ” and ” picking someone else ” ?

• 177 theo67
      February 4, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I think they know they’re on open mic, and they try and instigate. Unless it’s the President on an open mic saying those words, then it’s all nonsense.

February 4, 2013 at 11:26 am

How Obamacare Will Help Extend Health Care To Part-Time Workers

// The vast majority of part-time workers in the U.S. don’t have employer-based health insurance, according to a new study from the ADP Research Institute — an issue the health care reform law will help address once it is fully in effect.
    The majority of Americans access health insurance through their jobs. But the results from ADP’s study highlight the fact that the current employer-based model often leaves low-wage workers, and particularly those who work fewer than 40 hours a week, in a coverage gap. Only a small percentage of part-time employees are offered health insurance through work, and many of them can’t afford to pay into those plans — but they also typically can’t afford to purchase insurance plans on their own, either.
    Fortunately, several Obamacare provisions — including extending Medicaid coverage to additional low-income Americans, providing Americans with subsidies to help them purchase health care on state-based insurance markets, and requiring employers with more than 50 workers to provide health insurance — will start to eliminate some of those coverage gaps and help part-time workers better afford health coverage://

• 179 cookemom
      February 4, 2013 at 11:55 am

with the economic news released last Friday, the average work week is 38 hours. This is done by design of course. Yet, productivity continues to rise and is at one of its highest rates. Those part-time, non-heatlhcare provided, people are being worked at a pace that surpasses that when companies had full time, fully staffed workers. When they get sick from the stress of having to perform at such a ridiculous pace or the threat of losing their jobs, they won’t have any insurance to take care of them. These same people are working multiple part-time jobs at this increased pace. It is too dad, but never front and center. The only numbers that matter are the unemployment rate, the GDP, the debt and the deficit, not the impact of businesses stealing the quality of life from families. smh

February 4, 2013 at 11:41 am

Former Mayor Ed Koch, a Quintessential New Yorker, Mourned at Manhattan Funeral

// Ed Koch is being remembered as the quintessential New Yorker at his funeral. “There’s no doubt that Ed is beaming,” Mayor Bloomberg told the crowd of hundreds at Manhattan’s Temple Emanu-El. Bill Clinton also is speaking, and is serving as a representative for President Barack Obama at the funeral.

Koch died Friday of congestive heart failure at the age of 88. The funeral is being held at one of the nation’s most prominent synagogues, a Reform Jewish congregation on Fifth Avenue. //

37. 183 Joy
    February 4, 2013 at 11:50 am

Off topic but an interesting video, maybe some of you have seen this already

38. 187 Nena20409
    February 4, 2013 at 11:53 am

Morning TODers.

:shock: Taggart Romney is NOT running as the GOPer for the MA senate race. ABCnews.com has confirmed. Hmm?

• 188 cookemom
      February 4, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I don’t think he was ever running. It made no sense. Jeb has sense enough to wait until the Bush name is viewed less a negative before he runs for anything. No way the Romneys as power hungry as they are, would put their name out there in a political arena this soon.

• 189 Nena20409
        February 4, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I agree. It sounded to me like another Media manufactured tales, looking for air time to fill.

• 190 theo67
        February 4, 2013 at 12:47 pm

If there’s ever a time that the Bush name is viewed less negatively, then shame on voters. Thousands of Americans dead and many more thousands wounded. Potentially millions of innocent Iraqis dead. Hundreds incarcerated in Gitmo with no trial, subjected to torture. Families destroyed. And that’s just on the foreign front. The domestic front is just as ugly. Jeb himself is forever tied to Trayvon’s death because of his racist “Stand your ground” law, and he displayed a profound lack of awareness of reality at the RNC when he tried to absolve his brother of every wrongdoing. The Romney’s would do well to note these things – especially since Tagg is the one who threatened the President.

39. 191 HZ
    February 4, 2013 at 11:56 am

Good Morning Chips and TOD Family. I hope everyone will have a wonderful day. Looking forward to hearing our president.

Beautiful traveling to our VPOTUS and Dr. Jill. A beautiful start beginning for our new Sec. of State, John Kerry.

Hope Hillary is resting and are in her PJ’s sipping her tea/coffee.

Thank you, Mr. President for loving us and doing the peoples work with such a beautiful heart, mind, and spirit.

We Are With You, Mr.President.
    Love you all very much.HZ

40. 197 dotster3
    February 4, 2013 at 12:01 pm

It’s a sadly too familiar story, but the HBO documentary airing tonight looks interesting—-“Mea Maxima Culpa” re “sex, lies and the Catholic Church” and the Milwaukee case where a priest abused 200 deaf boys, chosen reportedly because they could not report the abuse—–and the inspirational story of how these now men fought back to see justice in this case.

41. 198 Pamela
    February 4, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Nothing to do with anything we are talking about here, but an excellent read, IMHO! http://www.rabbitearth.com/2013/02/04/in-our-own-backyard-the-mark-hanham-gallery-surry-hills/ Have a great day everyone, am out to lunch (!) with a new client, so am delighted to be on the move again, and so far, not at 5:00 in the morning. Imagine. Hugs all around! Be good! You too, Chips! :lol:

February 4, 2013 at 12:12 pm

LOL! Of course the media was just dying to know about PBO’s reaction to the blackout last night. They should just put up a media spy cam at the WH to monitor the President’s daily activities and utterances. Sheesh.

• 201 cookemom
      February 4, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Somehow I don’t mind hearing the human interest stuff that PBO does and where he goes. I can’t remember caring a fig about the everyday life of any other president. I enjoy reading about him being so grounded and just regular, no pretenses, no hoity-toitism. It’s refreshing. I think some of the tweets fills that for me. I understand if others feels it’s a invasion of privacy, but to me it just shows how normal he and his family is. It drives the teabutts nuts. They can’t find anything untoward about him so they have to make things up. They see he epitomizes what they’ve always claimed for themsleves, family values, even more so than their idolized politicians. He’s ripped through their stereotype and have to resort to the crazy talk. I say, keep it up

February 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I agree – I don’t mind as long as it’s not snarky/rude. The media is just as interested in his daily routine as we are – they try to pretend otherwise.

• 203 cookemom
          February 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Yes, they are enamored of PBO, but like to come on hard. Given the opportunity anyone of them would go bonkers to be included on his ‘invite em’ list.

• 204 cookemom
        February 4, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Lawd the grammar in that post of mine is horrendous. Apologies to Mrs. C. Johnson, third grade teacher.

• 205 Vicki
      February 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Not only the MSM. I wanted to hear the President’s thoughts, too.
      I always am interested in POTUS’ thoughts. Also his hands, his ties, his fitted shirt, his feet and so on…..

February 4, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I guess we know now who the president of “Racists Are Us” club is.

44. 218 xtine
    February 4, 2013 at 12:24 pm

[Sorry to bring back that old topic, but found Greg Sargent's article of interest.]:

So it’s settled: President Obama does, in fact, do skeet shooting at Camp David, just as he has claimed.

This controversy is only the latest sign that the right remains very, very good at getting news orgs to follow shiny bouncy balls. To be clear, I don’t see any problem with fact checking the president’s statement, as many others have. That’s what the fact checkers should be doing. Rather, the problem here is one of overkill and misdirection. Much of the reporting on the back and forth over this controversy doesn’t clarify what is perhaps the most important fact about it: The question of whether Obama did or didn’t engage in skeet shooting is utterly, totally, completely irrelevant to any of the actual policy proposals that are being discussed right now.

The “gun rights” brigade has grabbed on to this controversy with the very deliberate goal of using it to distort the true nature of the gun reform debate. [.....]

More here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2013/02/04/the-morning-plum-the-problem-with-the-obama-skeet-shooting-controversy/

• 219 Nena20409
      February 4, 2013 at 12:37 pm

The sad thing about it is that in May and Sept 2010, this president spoke about his skeet shootings.

If we have Responsible and Fact seeking News Media……but sadly :(, we do not.

• 220 theo67
      February 4, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Indeed. It ignores the fact that gun reform will only happen if so-called “responsible gun owners” can be weened from the NRA, thereby weakening them – and what better way to do that than to show that you are one of them (responsible gun owners), putting NRA lies to rest.

45. February 4, 2013 at 12:25 pm
  46. 222 Dakota
    February 4, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Good Morning Fam!

Well my team gave it a good shot yesterday but fell short. All in all I enjoyed the game…but after trying to catch up on all the post, I have one burning question…did no one like the ad with the senior citizens sneaking out of the nursing home to party? I thought it was hilarious! My favorite!
    Jennifer Hudson and the Sandy Hook students were very moving and the anti-gun ad indeed was the only ad that really mattered.

And Beyonce is one hell of an entertainer! It was a treat to see Destiny’s Child together again.

• 223 cookemom
      February 4, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Yes, the Taco Bell ad was hilarious. Soledad had two of the cast members on her show this morning and they are quite the characters.

• 224 AJ
        February 4, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Fav scene in the Taco Bell Commercial: one of the old ladies walking out of the restroom, right behind the young dude with the lipstick kiss on his cheek. Both trying to look non-chalant. Hysterical….hope we’re all like that at that age…

• 226 Dakota
        February 4, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I work for health care (hospice) organization and I guess that’s why I enjoyed it so much. In spite of some of the health situations, we have some real characters for clients. Sorry I missed the interview.

The rumor last week was that Soledad was fired from TeaNN. I guess she wasn’t.

47. 227 Nena20409
    February 4, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Marketwatch.com is reporting that in Dec 2012, Manufacturing was up 1.8%.

I have no doubt that when the Q4 of 2012 GDP is revised, it will be Up. The 0.1% negative point would so easily disappear.

48. 228 cookemom
    February 4, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I look out my window and there’s cookeman clearing the snow. There is something to be said about procrastination.