Feb

Rest in Peace, Hadiya Pendleton

Tanique Parker, 16, cries as she leaves the wake for friend and classmate Hadiya Pendleton at Calahan Funeral Home on Chicago’s South Side, Feb. 8

The handwritten note from President Barack Obama on the back of the funeral program for Hadiya Pendleton:

“Dear Cleopatra and Nathaniel, Michelle and I just wanted you to know how heartbroken we are to have heard about Hadiya’s passing. We know that no words from us can soothe the pain, but rest assured that we are praying for you, and that we will continue to work as hard as we can to end this senseless violence. God Bless.”

A mourner holds up a program for the funeral of Hadiya Pendleton…

NBC: The national debate over gun violence took a highly personal turn for first lady Michelle Obama when a Chicago girl was slain near Obama’s family home just days after she performed at the presidential inauguration in Washington.

The first lady and top federal, state and city officials joined hundreds of mourners on Saturday at the funeral of Hadiya Pendleton, 15…..

The first lady met privately with members of Pendleton’s family and with about 30 of her friends and classmates before the funeral…..

…. “Hadiya’s life has touched individuals, mothers, fathers, families and governments across this planet,” her aunt, Linda Wilks, said. “If this does not demonstrate the power of light and love, we are a people deeply cloaked in darkness.”

More here

Chicago Tribune: Slain teen Hadiya Pendleton was remembered today as a laughing youth who brought love and happiness to all her family and friends.

…. Her mother, Cleopatra Cowley-Pendleton, briefly spoke to the standing room only crowd, often with a smile and even a laugh.

“My baby did all this,” she said, wearing a big red flower on her chest and a sparkly scarf, and clearly enjoying the music. “This is all Hadiya”

“The outpouring of support has been absolutely amazing,” she said.

She explained that at points, “you kinda do not know how to act,” and some people might not understand “our sense of humor’’ or “why I have a smile on my face.”

“But I’m not worried about her soul,’’ she said.

More here

***

More video from the funeral here

Jackiegrumbacher: It’s a privilege to have a safe place here where we can mourn Hadiya together.

It’s past the time when we can vaguely hope that things will get better. They won’t – not without all of us speaking out and not without all of us pushing.

124 Responses to “Rest in Peace, Hadiya Pendleton”

• 2 carolmaewy
      February 9, 2013 at 6:27 pm

It is very sad Betsy. A beautiful life too short. May her family and friends find peace in her goodness.

1. 3 Proud Former White House Intern
    February 9, 2013 at 6:02 pm

RIP Sweetie!

2. 4 yardarm756
    February 9, 2013 at 6:04 pm

It never fails. Whenever I post, the thread changes. Congrats Betsy.

3. 6 Pamela
    February 9, 2013 at 6:05 pm

God bless her.

4. 7 yardarm756
    February 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm

So I brought it over
    For ladies only…..

5. 9 Nena20409
    February 9, 2013 at 6:10 pm

What a sad, sad, sad unnecessary event. RIP Hadiya. You will Never be forgotten.

I hope that people in Chicago would finally say: Enough. Not one more Child.

I get extremely angry when I read about such fatuously carelessness in the way Our nation still allows far too many people to be killed by Man made instrument. It didn’t and Never have to be that way……Over 1.3M gone in 53 years.

Enough.

6. 10 Pamela
    February 9, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I love that her Mom is not worried about Hadiya’s Soul! And there is no reason to, as on the Soul level she is very much alive and filled with Joy and Light. God Bless Her!

• 11 nathkatun7
      February 9, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Hadiya’s mom was strong and inspirational! In reality, people we love dearly are always with us in spirit though we desperately miss their physical presence. Hadiya’s very young friends were also amazingly strong. She must have been a wonderful girl. I am thankful that Chipsticks posted these clips for some of us who missed viewing the entire service. It was a beautiful service filled with joy, laughter, tears, and beautiful remembrances of Hadiya.

7. 12 swbluega
    February 9, 2013 at 6:13 pm

She seems to have been an inspiration to many. Hopefully her spirit will live on through the lives she’s touched.

8. February 9, 2013 at 6:14 pm
  9. February 9, 2013 at 6:16 pm
  10. 15 Pamela
    February 9, 2013 at 6:17 pm

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/party.html?m=1 Read this later, when you need a lift! {{{{TOD}}}}

11. February 9, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Just watched the video, no words Chipsticks…. You spoke for the unspoken.

• February 9, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Too many tears lately. Yes, enough is enough. From my grandfather and uncle committing suicide to Sandy Hook. The great Leon Russell wrote it but this one gets me every time. My husband even get’s tears. He’s so sensitive which is just one reason I love him so.

12. February 9, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Congrats Betsy.

Thank you, once again, Chips!!!! Love you for your devotion to life, our President and our wonderful American family.

#LongPastTime

13. 20 veryslowwriter
    February 9, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I started out sad — now I’m so FUCKING PISSED off!!! THis beautiful child — like so many other beautiuful children — is dead. Her whole life ahead of her and it was taken from her by some idiot with a gun. I look at her picture and don’t know whether to cry or scream. Both seem appropriate. I gotta go cool down a little…

• 21 HZ
      February 9, 2013 at 7:50 pm

((((((((((((((((((((( Veryslowwriter, we are all here with you)))))))))))))))))))) I am with you. I feel the pain for all of Hadiya’s friends who have to face their lives as students on their campus without their dear friend. I see their pain in their laughter and body language and laughs today as I watched the service. These precious ones are hurting. Let us send out prayers and goodness of thoughts for them to heal in the coming day, weeks, hours, months and years.

So we hug, speak out, and put our hands to work to remove so much of this darkness surrounding our beautiful young souls. We move with POB and his team to give more lights that will break through this darkness that Hadiya’s parents are moving through at this moment. And with these lights of doers, we pray and hope for these dark paths to be erased from our young peoples paths, so that they may journey down a bright ,joyful, and beautiful life -path that will be filled with much hope and happiness in their futures.HZ

• 22 nathkatun7
      February 9, 2013 at 9:19 pm

You are not alone! I experienced the same emotions. How many beautiful children, the future of our country, must we lose before we can finally rein in the greed of gun profiteers? This is no time to cool down. This is a time for us to press the people we elected to, once and for all, do something about the proliferation of gun violence. How can our country survive if we continue to lose children from gun violence? For all the people who shout freedom, whenever sensible people try to address the scourge of gun violence, I ask this question: Of what good is freedom when our fetish for guns is enabling the killing off children before they can enjoy the freedom we supposedly value so much?

I admit I don’t know what the founders were thinking when they wrote and ratified the 2nd Amendment. My hunch is that they did not intend it to be a license to proliferate guns without societal checks and limitations. And if what the founders intended is exactly what the NRA preaches, then I say it’s way past time for us to amend or get rid of the 2nd Amendment. The same way we did when we got rid of the 3/5th clause by enacting both the 13th and Fourteenth Amendments. The same way we did when we enacted the 21st amendment to repeal the 18th Amendment.

14. February 9, 2013 at 6:56 pm
  15. 25 prettyfoot58
    February 9, 2013 at 7:01 pm

BE BOLD ….

BE COURAGEOUS…

THE TIME IS NOW!

***********************************

beautiful….brought tears to my eyes…but also inspires me to keep calling…emailing ….writing…my elected officials …The Time Is NOW!

February 9, 2013 at 7:45 pm

prettyfoot58, I’m with you. To the Democrats who is more concern about holding onto a seat, I ask you since when have holding onto your job become more important than saving a child’s life, than doing the right thing. The time is now.

• 27 nathkatun7
      February 9, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Well said, Prettyfoot! Like you my tribute to this beautiful child, who even at a very young age was inspiring others, is to bombard members of Congress with demands for action on guns. Enough is enough!

February 9, 2013 at 7:17 pm

May she rest in peace, and may her family and loved ones find some measure of comfort and closure. Thanks Chips for this beautiful thread.

February 9, 2013 at 7:21 pm

It’s hard to wrap one’s head around the fact that a promising life and future was snuffed out at so young an age; but seeing the love, joy, hope, and light she brought to so many people, one realizes that her life and the time she spent on this earth was not in vain.

I hope that the family continues to hold onto that during these difficult times and finds some measure of peace and comfort.

• 30 nathkatun7
      February 9, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Beautifully said, UT! In just such a very short life she managed to love and inspire so many people, but especially her pears. I was so touched, and awed, by the strength of her mother who definitely knew she had a very special child.

18. 31 anniebella
    February 9, 2013 at 7:30 pm

In listening to Hadiya’s “Home Going Service” I came away saying what a young lady.

19. 32 relellit
    February 9, 2013 at 7:41 pm

It’s so sad. She is such a beautiful child called home too early. My son and his friend went to pay their respects since their father and my deceased, ex- husband, were friends but couldn’t get in. It was too crowded. He should have known to start earlier. I’m always afraid for my 10 yr great grandson. My granddaughter will not allow me to pick him up on the bus since I can no longer drive. I cringe daily thinking of the guns and drugs taking our beautiful children from us and what could happen to one of mine.. What I don’t understand is why all this hublah about children getting killed around the world with drones when or children are being taken from us daily?

RIP Beautiful Angel

February 9, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Great question relelit, ask yourself how much time have Rachel Maddow, Ed, or MSNBC given this issue? I am not saying that all children lives are not valuable, but with the death in Chicago and other places why not bring this to the spotlight.

• 34 HZ
      February 9, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Relellit(((((((((((((((((((((((( Love you, my dear one)))))))))))))))))))))))))))HZ

• 35 nathkatun7
      February 9, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Bless you Relitt for daring to ask a question that people would prefer to overlook! My grandmother (may her soul RIP) always reminded us that “Charity Begins at Home.” As I’ve grown older, I’ve come to value her wisdom more and more. Like you, I am puzzled as to why the “holier than thou progressives” are so worked up in frenzy about drones, but not about the mayhem being inflicted by guns, everyday, on our children right here at home.

20. February 9, 2013 at 7:54 pm

We have got to do something about these guns! How many more children, how many more innocent people, will die before the cowards in congress pass a gun safety law? This is enough!

• 37 HZ
      February 9, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Chips, thanks for this thread. You are such a special soul to all of us. ((((((((( I love you, my special angel))))))))))HZ

February 9, 2013 at 7:56 pm

You don’t have to be religious to appreciate the comforting beauty of this song.

22. 39 Nena20409
    February 9, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Both Lincoln and MLK said pretty much the same thing.

Those who stand idly by while evil occurs are culpable. I am sure that I paraphrased the quote by Lincoln.

MLK was more about those who didn’t speak when when things were difficult, when things were quiet, hearing from them was not particularly courageous……once again, I am taking the liberty to paraphrase.

In a nation of 315.1M. With all the problems this nation has been through……the Gun deaths are despicable.

How does a nation claim to be a beckon of Liberty, Freedom and a leader in the world when we incarcerate more than most. We kill more than most. We claim religion as our virtue…..yet we Cling to Guns….a man made weapon for the protection of what exactly? Jesus has none. He told one of his disciples to put away the sword. He said TURN the other cheek. The Prince of Peace was not, Never preached Violence.

So we are not serious as a nation if we continue to go down this GUN Killing mentality.

23. 40 globalcitizenlinda
    February 9, 2013 at 8:12 pm

taking a break from crying to say that: if us ordinary people do not step and help PBO push back against the NRA and the cowardly elected leaders then we will have failed the victims like Hadiya, Gabby, Sandy Hook Class and the thousands who are gunned down everyday in so many places.

what happens in the push to reduce gun violence is in the hands of We The People

• 41 amk for obama
      February 9, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Well said. I find that 99% of the US pols are cowards when it comes to gun control. So it won’t happen because of them and it has to happen despite them.

• 42 nathkatun7
      February 9, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Globalcitizenlinda, I am with you 100%! We the People, Citizens of the United States, must not fail all these victims of gun violence by failing to stand firm behind our President. I don’t want to hear people blaming Reid, or the President, or the Democrats or whatever. What I want to hear is the Pressure we are putting on all members of Congress, and their media enablers, to say NO to the NRA. The NRA may have 4 million members, but that leaves more than 120 million people who voted in 2012 who are not members of NRA that we need to mobilize and appeal to in order to pass meaningful laws to curb gun violence.

24. 44 Nena20409
    February 9, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I look at that Angelic Face and I get chills all over my body. This sweet girl is taken out and would be laid 6 ft under, NEVER to be seen again. That is pure hell to think of. Lord give the family the courage to cope.

I am so angry. I feel so helpless. It is the same feelings that I had on Dec 14, 2012. It is just as raw.

Lord, help the leaders of this nation to say once and for all, that we have got to DO right by all of our Kids. And mean it.

25. February 9, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I cried a lot the day I first heard about this tragedy of this beautiful fallen angel Hadiya. I cannot understand or explain why it
    has touched me so much. I found myself watching the entire service today. Although I had not planned to, I was just drawn in by all the
    beautiful young people giving their tributes and their tears. On second thought, I know I have been affected because this reminded me
    of my daughter and her friends when they were that age and remembering how innocent and fun-loving they were. Their entire lives ahead
    of them to do awesome and wonderful things. This young lady has left us too soon leaving many unfulfilled dreams at our doorstep.
    We as a country cannot let this moment get swept under the rug…again. We have to support our President in his fight for change, by
    bombarding our congress with our letters, texts, e-mails and tweets…whatever form of communication we might choose.

I am ok with Flotus being there and am glad she had a low profile, so there was no distracting from the fact that this was Hadiya’s day.
    May the family and friends find comfort in all the outreach to them and prayers for them.

• 46 Jessica
      February 9, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Exactly! Watching brief clips it was obvious today was all about Hadiya and FLOTUS was just another guest celebrating her life. A life she didn’t know a few weeks ago and is now at her homegoing service. That’s how powerful a presence that young lady is. The governor, the mayor and first lady with all their eyes on her.

26. 47 anniebella
    February 9, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Someone said on another thread that if they were the mother of the person who shot Hadiya they would turn him in. There is no way that I claim to have any answers, but we have to stop the silence, if anyone know anything they have to speak up. It is almost like people in the neighborhoods have become hostage to the terrorists gangs. Is it easy, hell no it ain’t easy, but neither is it easy continuing to bury our kids.

February 9, 2013 at 8:31 pm

One question, have we all here in the United States contacted our Congressperson and Senator? Like POTUS ask us too.

27. 49 HZ
    February 9, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I pray for strength and healing to Hadiya’s parents
    I pray strength for Hadiya’s little brother.
    I pray for courage, and healing strength to all of Hadiya’s friends at school.
    I pray for wisdom to be granted to POB and VP Biden as they work with Congress for a comprehensive bill on gun violence.
    I pray for peace, strength, courage, and further protection of the precious minds for all of our young children in all of our cities to feel as safe as possible as we get something
    done right for them this time.
    I pray for the teachers, principals, pastors, school psychologists, and community leaders to be a healing source for these young children who have to try and move on in our schools, parks, homes, churches, and life throughout this nation.
    I pray for the person’s soul and mind who brought all of us to this moment by bringing us to a darker point in this nation. We forgive, but Almighty, you judge.
    I pray for a loving peace to help us continue to work together to solve this violence in our nation.
    I pray that Hadiya and all who have gone before her will not have to live fearing that this sick and senseless violence will stop. Forgive Us All , and help us to do the right thing. Amen.HZ

February 9, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Amen, Amen.

• 52 prettyfoot58
          February 9, 2013 at 8:52 pm

It is a long hard road….He ain’t Heavy…He’s my brother…

• 53 HZ
            February 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm

If someone can find the part of the video of the service for Hadiya where the praise dancers of two young ladies and the dancers dedicating a performance to Hadiya during the service of praise , you will be lifted up in your spirit to see what this beautiful young lady inspired others to do. Note: You will be very moved when you see our First Lady standing with Hadiya’s mother before Hadiya mother takes a final look at her baby girl. It was not for show, but just our First Lady being Mrs. Michelle Obama first, A Mother.HZ

• 54 hgerhard
            February 9, 2013 at 10:09 pm

“I don’t understand why they don’t do anything about it” That is what I hear when I meet friends or when I’m on the bus or waiting in line somewhere. “It” can be any problem. Right now, “it” is the senseless violence that is a constant presence in our cities and our society. People are shaken – some pray for deliverance and others feel helpless in the face of unspeakable tragedy. Many are outspoken and will angrily proclaim just what it is that “they” should do. And then life moves on with its demands on everyone’s time and energy and nothing changes. “They” will have failed us again. It isn’t until one citizen, somewhere, stops waiting for what “they” will decide and steps up to say “I will not rest until a way is found” that change becomes possible. Others will join the cause and the lonely voice becomes a mighty chorus that “they” cannot ignore. That is what our President is asking of us. It cannot rest with a signed petition or a tweet or even a call to the Congressional representative. I must do more – we all must do more. It has to be a cause – something I wake up to every morning and have in my thoughts when I go to sleep at night. I need to talk to my friends, my family, my neighbors, my fellow worshippers, my colleagues – everyone. Join me to keep this issue alive today and tomorrow and the day after that and the next until it becomes an imperative for everyone to act. Until it gets done.

• 55 nathkatun7
          February 9, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Prettyfoot, I always come to this blog late, but I wanted to thank you for sharing this clip by Donny Hathaway singing that beautiful song. Donny had such incredible depth in all his performances. It’s a shame he physically left this world at such a young age. But for us who loved him his spirit and his music will live forever.

• 56 nathkatun7
            February 9, 2013 at 10:31 pm

By the way, prettyfoot, as I listened to this song, over and over again, I kept wondering if people, like Dr. Benjamin Carson, ever listened to this music I grew up with. With all the mud and Arrows being thrown at President Obama from every which way, I wish some of us would decide to pledge to carry him because he a’int heavy, he is our brother.

• 57 nathkatun7
        February 9, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Double Amen! What a beautiful prayer, HZ!

28. 58 prettyfoot58
    February 9, 2013 at 9:12 pm
    • 59 susanne
      February 9, 2013 at 9:27 pm

this is the essential fact: as long as politicians think they can’t get elected without money and support from the nra, they will belong to the nra. if they realize they cannot get elected if they’re not opposing the nra, and refusing the nra’s money, then we will see change happen fast. it’s down to voters, us.

• 60 globalcitizenlinda
      February 9, 2013 at 10:15 pm

thanks for highlighting my tweet. we voters need to make elected officials more afraid of us than they are of the nra

February 9, 2013 at 9:26 pm
      February 9, 2013 at 9:36 pm

The civil rights movement -that’s what happened.

• 63 nathkatun7
      February 9, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Great find, AMK! I tell you this obsession with guns and the so called defense of the 2nd Amendment is purely a modern invention by the current leaders of the NRA! Even in the the so called “wild west” guns were often regulated. Of course, for African Americans, the right to bear arms was never regarded by whites in power to be “God given.” After the Civil war, and in spite of the fact that the 13th Amendment had abolished slavery, Southern states enacted laws — better known as the “Black Codes — which made it illegal for Blacks to buy or own guns. And much more recently, in response to the Oakland based Black Panther Party’s assertions of their 2nd Amendment right to bear arms, the California legislature passed a Bill making it illegal to carry guns within any City limits. Guess who signed that Bill into law? Why it was the conservative hero, St. Ronnie Reagan. I don’t remember hearing any protestation, or defense of the 2nd Amendment, from the NRA.

Sometimes I joke that may be the only way this country will ever think about enacting meaningful gun safety regulations is if Black people publicly embarked on buying spree for all sorts of guns, including assault weapons, while militantly vowing to use those guns to protect their communities. You see When the Panthers asserted their right to posses guns to protect their community from government (in this case the police) the conservatives, like Reagan, passed laws to deprive them of their so called 2nd Amendment rights. Yet today, when people advocate sensible gun control measures to make it hard for criminals, gang bangers, the mentally ill, and the sociopaths, to obtain guns — especially the military style assault weapons, and high capacity magazines — the conservatives and the NRA are up in arms about the 2nd Amendment rights.

What’s more infuriating is that our so called mainstream media lets these conservative gun nuts get away with their BS about the 2nd Amendment. How in the world can the so called conservatives, who love the 2nd Amendment, be in love with St. Ronnie Reagan who signed a law that regulated guns, despite the fact that the people the law was aimed at believed in their 2nd Amendment rights?

30. February 9, 2013 at 9:32 pm

The deaths of these children are reminders of the rising consciousness of the injustice in the world towards certain groups and the opening knowledge that we must be more mindful of the oppressed and disenfranchised and vulnerable. We have to awaken to the calling of a new world order that does not omit anyone but honours and values the young, the old, female, male, and all in-between. We have to live in harmony and with faith that justice serves each and every individual. These children are the angels who sacrificed in order for us to learn these hard lessons. Let us hope it is not in vain.

February 9, 2013 at 9:33 pm
    February 9, 2013 at 9:35 pm

As guests of John McCain? Hmm…. I would imagine that they’re aware that McCain is among the top NRA campaign donor recipients – lets hope they’re going to knock some sense into him and his GOP colleagues about the urgent need for sensible gun legislation.

February 9, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Though they are from the same state, I find it interesting that McCain couldn’t make the effort to find someone else to invite, so he falls back on someone who is already well-known and already involved in the ‘fight’. I’m choosing to interpret this particular invitation as a cop-out on McCain’s part – NRA-paid coward! Instead of bringing a ‘new’ victim into the debate he settles for one who is already quite visible. I bet Gabby could have gotten her own invitation without any help from Johnnie McC.

February 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm

McCain’s a media whore (excuse me), above all else. He’s latching onto Gabby, so his face can be photographed with hers. Doesn’t mean he’ll do anything but that down the road, when it comes to a vote, because he’s sittin’ on the altar before the highest bidder, always. He has no core principles.

• 70 amk for obama
          February 9, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Yup. It’s just show boating. As always with this cowardly clown.

• 72 jackiegrumbacher
          February 9, 2013 at 10:06 pm

JOB, you certainly summed it up–a media whore. It’s always about what will make John McCain look good. Gabby Gifford deserves better.

February 9, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Hi, Jackie – I wish she could have refused, but they took the high road, I’m sure. Poor John. He doesn’t realize that NOTHING will make him look good. At least not to most of us.

February 9, 2013 at 10:07 pm

That is exactly how I see him, JO’B, as a person with little integrity who will do anything to be in the limelight! I don’t know if it’s because I first became aware of him as a result of his blatant disrespect to PBO, but he ignites real negative feelings in me. Nothing I have seen of him since 2007 has alleviated my aversion to him. In truth I also see him as a bully. I remember watching his wife beside him on occasion during the campaign and thinking – she doesn’t seem comfortable with him at all. I actually decided (in all my unsubstantiated wisdom) that she was verbally abused, she seemed so timid, so cowed. You can’t tell I don’t like the coward, this man who it seems would do anything for money, can you?

February 9, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Oh, vc, I’m with ya on all that! Not sure about Cindy, because she has the $$$ in the family. Sometimes the bullies are nice at home, when that’s where they get their $$$, and then go out into the world and bully everybody else. I do sometimes think that if and when he EVER leaves the Senate, she will leave him immediately. I’ve mentioned this a couple of times before here, but I always think of a video of him as he totally attacked a representative of POW-MIA families during a Senate hearing. The woman was near tears. He was mad as hell at her, because she questioned the actions of the committee, wanting more from it. It’s all in his eyes and demeanor – we saw it again at the Chuck Hagel hearing. He hates himself first, I firmly believe, and then anybody else who points out his inadequacies before the world.

February 9, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Cindy might have (had) the dollars, but I wouldn’t doubt that she has ‘lost control’ in some fashion over the years. Probably under the guise of ‘father knows best'; after all wasn’t she looking for a father figure when she married him and aren’t they ultra conservative, as in the man is the head of the house (Michele Bachmann told me so)?

Yes I did see that video in early 2008, JO’B, and was appalled at the way he spoke to the woman in question. He was rude, vicious and totally disrespectful. I was near tears myself, I was so angered by his manner. Part of me couldn’t believe anyone would vote FOR that angry little turd as president, but part of me thought of Georgie B getting in TWICE and I trembled. I stopped watching the hearing as soon as Johnnie started his questioning about the surge so I missed seeing his anger in action again. Once was more than enough! There is absolutely nothing in that little man that appeals to me and much that angers me, so I tend to walk away when he approaches, especially if he’s about to speak. :roll:

February 10, 2013 at 1:32 am

Agree with everything you wrote, vc, but I like to think Cindy (along with her dumb daughter) is much more liberal than she appears … and I like to think she’s still holding the purse strings. It’s the vicious part of my thoughts, when it comes to him, and the stuff I’d wish on him, I wouldn’t wish on anybody else. Ugh.

• 78 globalcitizenlinda
          February 9, 2013 at 10:10 pm

we should get ready with our tweets to point out that we know that bitter mccain is the highest recepient of nra funds

February 9, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I’ll join you. Do we have a quick link to that? I’ll find it myself, if somebody doesn’t have it handy. (Thanks.)

• 80 nathkatun7
          February 10, 2013 at 12:25 am

Jacqueline O, I totally agree with you! This is all about McCain trying to attract the Cameras. I don’t know if any one else noticed but McCain was right there hugging John Kerry at Kerry’s swearing in ceremony, as if he was the one who nominated him to be Secretary of State. Besides having no real core values, he is such sore loser!

February 9, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Exactly. I find that a very cravenly thing for McCain to do. I don’t ever recall him associating with Gabby before she was shot.

February 9, 2013 at 10:22 pm

I think maybe Johnnie McC’s trying to be seen as participating in Sen Jim. Langevin’s campaign, but he sure seems to have missed the heart of it, IMO.

For the past month, he has been on a quiet campaign to persuade his colleagues to give up their guest passes to next Tuesday’s State of the Union address by President Obama so that victims of gun violence can attend.

That way, he said, when the nation’s highest officeholders look up from the floor of the House to those watching from the gallery, they will not be able to avoid seeing the human toll that guns can exact.

“It’s a powerful reminder to every member of Congress how pervasive this issue is,” he said the other day as he pulled his electric wheelchair up to a coffee table in his district office. So far he has nearly 20 takers, and many more who are considering the idea.

• 85 nathkatun7
            February 10, 2013 at 12:38 am

VC, I am sending e-mails to my Rep., Susan Davis, as well as my two Senators, Feinstein and Boxer, respectfully asking them to honor Congressman’s Jim Langevin’s request to give their guest passes, for the SOTU, to surviving victims of gun violence.

February 10, 2013 at 12:59 am

Way to go, Nath! I hope you’ll successfully touch a cord if they hadn’t already joined Sen. Langevin’s campaign.

33. 87 susanne
    February 9, 2013 at 9:36 pm

here’s the thing: gun lovers are organized.

‘ As armed gun-rights activists rallied at the Capitol against state and federal proposals to restrict sales of certain firearms and expand background checks for gun sales, the House Judiciary Committee on Friday night passed House Bill 77, aimed at requiring background checks for people purchasing firearms at gun shows.

After struggling with HB 77 for several days, the committee passed the bill with bipartisan support on a 13-3 vote.
    ~
    Meanwhile, about 100 people gathered Friday outside the statehouse, some with handguns in holsters and several carrying hunting rifles or military-style semi-automatic rifles.

It’s legal in New Mexico to openly carry a loaded firearm, including at the Capitol.

A group called Stand Your Ground New Mexico organized the rally. Co-founder Bob Wright of Eunice said gun owners must oppose additional changes in firearms laws and deliver that message to elected officials. ‘

• 88 jackiegrumbacher
      February 9, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Well, susanne, we just have to out-organize them. If a hundred gun toters rally at a capital, we need three hundred to rally against them. We can do this as long as we’re not afraid.

• 89 globalcitizenlinda
      February 9, 2013 at 10:13 pm

yes the gun lovers are organized but it is also true that the media gives them a free platform.

for instance in OH a few gun-torting nra supporters go a lot of media coverage this week although thousands of gun control advocates at the state house received very little mention

34. February 9, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Trying to get a first post thru – not sure this is going to work but love this website.

35. February 9, 2013 at 9:38 pm
  36. 94 PoliticalJunkessa
    February 9, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I have tears in my eyes. I don’t know what to say except to also say, “Rest in peace, Hadiya.” ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

37. February 9, 2013 at 9:48 pm
  38. February 9, 2013 at 9:50 pm
  39. 99 globalcitizenlinda
    February 9, 2013 at 9:52 pm

in the past when we were pushing a policy change proposed by PBO, we have had to engange in “on the record” feed back from each representative and their explanation as to WHY they are choosing to vote a certain way.

I think this would be a good time to call the elected officials and ask them WHERE they stand on the issue of stopping gun violence and WHY.

We should then publicize each response on social media. I suspect that many (especially gun-supporting democrats) are lying low and hoping that this issue will go away.

we simply cannot let them forget that we are watching what they do because this is so important.

40. 105 jackiegrumbacher
    February 9, 2013 at 10:04 pm

It’s a privilege to have a safe place here where we can mourn Hadiya together. I think of all the years before there was a cyber place to gather when people had to deal with the grief from a local or national tragedy alone or with family, friends and neighbors. We didn’t get to hear from those in other parts of the country or the world and so our perspective was limited, even though our pain was real. Now a young girl in Chicago, senselessly shot down in a park, is all of our daughters and we know that the grief we feel is a shared one and so is the anger. Because a child in Chicago is also our child, there’s a stronger possibility that we can put a stop to the intolerable conditions in which we attempt to raise our families. As Nena pointed out above, we are over 300 million strong and we are very powerful when we choose to be citizens who act together. More and more Americans are saying “enough.” More Americans are “seeing” the ones who are slaughtered and are saying that the senseless death of our collective children will never end until we the people stop it. It’s past the time when we can vaguely hope that things will get better. They won’t Not without all of us speaking out and not without all of us pushing. As PBO has told us time and again, we are the citizens. We can make change happen. And our time is now. We do it for Hadiya. We do it for our children and grandchildren. And we do it for all the children yet to be born who deserve a better world.

41. February 9, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Beloved Family, I’m too sad to chat tonight. Hug your loved ones tight. Be good to each other. I’ll be back to stand with you in the struggle tomorrow. Blessings of peace, comfort in cherished memories and deep love to you all.

• February 9, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Take care friend. We are indeed a struggle and must recharge frequently because endurance and persistence are the only way we will continue to prevail. Thank you for all you do and for all the glorious, sustaining music you share with us.

February 9, 2013 at 10:56 pm

{{{{{Dudette}}}}} Been thinking of you. Will continue to think of you.

February 10, 2013 at 12:13 am

I really like this song by Fred Hammond. No weapon formed against me. Bless Hadiya Pendleton, as her mother said she is not worry about where her daughter’s soul is.

• 117 nathkatun7
      February 10, 2013 at 12:56 am

Blessings to you too Dudette! I hope you feel better soon. We love you so much. You always bring so much love, energy, and sunshine to many of us music lovers.

42. 119 LDS
    February 9, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Hello everyone here. Thank you Chips for this post.
    I have been studying and in between lurking.
    I just had to say that this beautiful child’s smile has moved me to tears. That could have been my child, my neighbor’s child so many of you all here as well. What hurts is yes, the TIME IS NOW! But where have we been? I asked myself that question first…..there have been drive by shootings and innocent victims while sitting in the safety of their homes whose lives were taking by a stray bullet for years now. even in City parks and trains and buses filled with every day passengers doing every day things. Before I dare blame someone else, I hang my head in shame.

I applaud First Lady Michelle for showing up as a Mother. She is Mother- In- Chief. If that had been my child, it would have meant a lot to me not who she is but how she loves. There have been opinions on prior posts both pros and cons on this subject. And everyone is entitled to his/her own opinions. As a mother and the emotions that she can express to her husband and even maybe her daughters may have voiced their opinons, we will never know that convinced her to be there. My prayer is that no other parent will ever have to ever go through this whether here or abroad. God forbid. But I trust that our President and First Lady will be led by their own hearts and not our opinions while in the safety of our own homes behind our trusted computers.

Be blessed everyone.
    Hadiya’s soul is at peace. Her living was not in vain.

43. 121 LDS
    February 9, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Anniebella, To God be all the glory!

• 122 HZ
      February 10, 2013 at 1:06 am

Dudette, I was trying to climb the stairs to get back up to my bedroom, and you came to my mind. I stopped and called out your name. I was thinking that I had not seen you or had missed you. Then I see you as I was leaving to struggle to get the bed ready so that I can retire for the evening. (((((((((((((((( Thank you, and dear precious one, be gentle within your spirit know that you are so special.)))))))))))))))))HZ