Feb

Rise and Shine

President Obama visits a pre-kindergarten classroom at College Heights Early Childhood Learning Center in Decatur, Ga., Feb. 14

Today:

EST

10:0: President Obama meets with President Giorgio Napolitano of Italy

11:10: Welcomes the 18 recipients of the 2012 Presidential Citizens Medal

12:10: Departs the White House

CT

1:10: Arrives Chicago

2:45: Delivers remarks at Hyde Park Academy

4:30: Departs Chicago

EST

8:0: Arrives West Palm Beach, Florida

Washington Post: President Obama used his State of the Union address to launch a push for massively expanding pre-K and other early childhood education programs. But he was pretty vague about it. Not anymore. At 6 a.m. today, the administration released its detailed plan for early childhood education….

…. Upon opening the plan for the first time (while on the phone with me) Nobel laureate and early childhood education expert James Heckman exclaimed “Holy smokes!” in approval.

More here

Eugene Robinson: In his bid to be remembered as a transformational leader, President Obama is following the playbook of an ideological opposite, Margaret Thatcher. First you win the argument, she used to say, then you win the vote.

Obama is gradually winning the argument about what government can and should do. His State of the Union address was an announcement of that fact — and a warning to conservatives that, to remain relevant, they will have to move beyond the premise that government is always the problem and never the solution…..

Full article here

Steve Benen: Sen. John McCain, as recently as a few days ago, said he would not try to stop an up-or-down vote on Chuck Hagel’s Defense Secretary nomination. And then yesterday, he did the exact opposite.

I’m sure he’ll be coming soon to a Sunday show near you to explain his thinking, but in the meantime, take a look at what McCain told Fox News’ Neil Cavuto after the first-ever instance of a Senate minority blocking a vote on a cabinet nominee:

More here

NYT Editorial: For the last four years, Senate Republicans have used the power of the filibuster to block legislation, bottle up nominees to courts and government departments, and strangle federal agencies, even though they are in the minority. On Thursday, they hit a new low. They successfully filibustered Chuck Hagel, President Obama’s nominee for defense secretary, the first time a cabinet nominee for this post has been prevented from receiving an up-or-down vote.

More here

NYT: At a high school near his own neighborhood here, President Obama on Friday will provide new details about an initiative to select 20 communities nationwide as laboratories for better coordination of federal, local, nonprofit and private-sector investments to revitalize long-distressed areas, according to administration officials.

Mr. Obama had announced his proposal to designate the so-called Promise Zones during his State of the Union address on Tuesday night, but did not provide many details. As part of the effort, he also is seeking tax breaks, for capital investments in the zones and for employers who hire unemployed residents.

More here

Steve Benen: Two weeks from today, deep, automatic sequestration cuts will kick in, doing real damage to the nation’s economy, military, and public needs. Both Democrats and Republicans say they want to avoid that fate, but only one side seems to be doing anything about the threat.

This week, House Republican leaders, including Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), said they would do literally nothing to resolve the problem until Senate Democrats acted. It was a bizarre posture to take — the House GOP freely admits it doesn’t want to do any work at all to clean up the mess Republican helped make.

More here

One more time (well, until the next time – probably later today):

President Obama gets a hug from a child at College Heights Early Childhood Learning Center, in Decatur, Ga., Feb 14

At last, moooOOOooorning! That was a rush job, I’m sure I’m missing lots of stuff, but will catch up later.

139 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 7 carolmaewy
    February 15, 2013 at 10:24 am

Good morning!

2. February 15, 2013 at 10:27 am

Good Morning!!!!!!! I was here camping out but missed out. Congrats Betsy

3. 13 carolmaewy
    February 15, 2013 at 10:28 am

I’m off for awhile. See you.

February 15, 2013 at 10:40 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone and congrats Betsy & Carol for coming 1st!! :) :)

• February 15, 2013 at 10:40 am

Mooooooooorning Hopefruit, it’s a beautiful day!

February 15, 2013 at 10:46 am

Indeed! I wonder whether PBO is traveling alone or is FLOTUS going to WPB with him?

• February 15, 2013 at 10:49 am

Just saw this Hopefruit:

First lady Michelle Obama and her daughters are headed out West this weekend for their annual ski trip with family friends, White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Friday.

Last year, they went to Aspen, Colorado. In 2011 and 2010, the first lady and her daughters, Malia and Sasha, stayed in Vail.

The president, meanwhile, travels later Friday to West Palm Beach, Florida for Presidents Day weekend after he makes a visit to Chicago to continue his post-State of the Union tour.

February 15, 2013 at 11:07 am

That’s cool, but I know what the right wing haters will be saying. FLOTUS and the girls skiing and POTUS taking lessons to improve his golf game. That’s cool.

• 21 utaustinliberal
            February 15, 2013 at 11:13 am

I love how First Lady Michelle Obama has these just girls moment with her children, friends, and children’s friends. It’s a special bonding event. It reminds me of how she talked about letting Pres. Obama and Malia read the Harry Potter series together and her not interfering because sometimes children just need special moments and memories with one parent.

I did and still do the same with my parents and the memories are priceless.

• 22 Janelle
              February 15, 2013 at 11:31 am

I also remember PBO saying that he does not ski, does not want to learn how to ski :), and that’s something FLOTUS and the girls have regularly done together. I’m sure the warmer climates are his favorite for vacation.

February 15, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Thanks Chips for the info! Hope they all have a wonderful time :)

5. February 15, 2013 at 10:42 am

WOW McCain and Graham have absolutely no shame, these people keeping acting like they did not get their asses handed to them in November. Mr. Hagel is damn hero and they are sitting in the senate playing the game of chickens with the nation security acting like children. Then comparing them with children is an isult to the children around the world. Jeez will the two asses get it together and stop with the bullshit already

6. 26 dotster3
    February 15, 2013 at 10:44 am

I was curious about Obama’s weekend Fl. golf trip—-probably because there was no news about it and because we (mr. d. and I) have covered that state over the years. Just flying into Palm Beach at about 8 tonight. Going to Floridian National Golf Club in norther Fl., owned by the owner of the Houston Astros, an Obama and Dem campaign donor. Tiger Woods former coach and son are flying in to give him golf tips, Butch Harmon and son. Laughed at the reference in the article to Mark Knoller, calling him a well-known authority on Obama stats—-like the crucial info on how many times he has played golf etc. And it’s disgusting when any rt. wing freak criticizes this trip—‘why is he going on a golf trip to Fl. when he’s talking about the middle class?’ and other fake outrage. Because he’s PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, you dummies, and deserves some down time just like every other president. Want President Obama to have fun and enjoy himself on this well-deserved break.

February 15, 2013 at 10:53 am

POTUS going to be in Florida for two days, how long will the Congress and Senate be gone?

February 15, 2013 at 10:58 am

Ask the right wing crazies about that. But then again when it comes to this President, common sense is thrown out the window, and whatever stupidity the right wing haters can come up with, they will.

• 30 theo67
        February 15, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I liked this report much better. They seem very excited to host the President – and it seems like he’ll be surrounded with real, thinking, reasonable and happy people.

• 31 theo67
      February 15, 2013 at 12:13 pm

That was a very long report leaning very hard to the right – and probably could have been completed with one or two sentences instead of the long full page of nonsense. It give me great joy when I think of how the right wing are gnashing their teeth because President Obama defeated them and their nefarious schemes to win a second term. Every time they complain, whine, take note of his golf games, vacations, acts of breathing – I will give a little laugh and relish the pain and hopelessness they must be feeling.

I hope the President has a wonderful weekend of golf and relaxation. I can’t think of a person who deserves it more!

7. 32 Ladyhawke
    February 15, 2013 at 10:52 am

Why Republicans Can No Longer Be Trusted on National Security

Because their leaders have become shallow, ignorant, and totally unserious on the issue that matters most.

By Fred Kaplan

———————————–

Not to sound like a Golden Age nostalgic, but there once was a time when the members of the Senate Armed Services Committee prided themselves on having an understanding of military matters. They disagreed in their conclusions and sometimes their premises. But most of them worked to educate themselves, at least to the point where they could debate the issues, or ask questions of a general without coming off like complete idiots. The sad thing about this new crop of senators—especially on the Republican side—is they don’t even try to learn anything; they don’t care if they look like complete idiots, in part because their core constituents don’t care if they do either.

After Tuesday’s vote, Sen. Levin adjourned the session, saying, “We thank you all, and we look forward to another wonderful year together.” The other senators laughed, but it really wasn’t funny.

————————————–

8. February 15, 2013 at 10:57 am

Heads up!

11:10: PBO welcomes the 18 recipients of the 2012 Presidential Citizens Medal

February 15, 2013 at 10:58 am

What a lot to devour! Thanks, Ms Chips (though I’m not so thankful you came in while I was preparing something to eat.) BTW I like to SEE you as you arrive so I can try to determine your mood for the day. ;) ;)

February 15, 2013 at 11:11 am

See, now I’ve missed my chance to see what ‘chirpy’ looks like on you before noon! ;) Anyways, I’m happy for you – have a fantabulously chirpy Friday! :lol:

• February 15, 2013 at 11:14 am

Hope yours is fably chirpy too, VC!!!

February 15, 2013 at 11:22 am

Thanks. It should be once I get these tech-scam people off my back. They have called 9 times already this morning, two of which I’ve answered and told them I’m no longer interested. The current spiel is I have to pay them (by visa) because they started the process yesterday when I did say I was considering a 2-year coverage. I sure hope they do not still have my visa info from last year, or that they cannot use it if they do. This is one of those times when I dislike knowing that much of my personal info is out there in cyber space and not much I can do about it. Oh well, I’m trying not to let them bully or depress me.

• 39 amk for obama
              February 15, 2013 at 11:39 am

They are lying and blackmailing you. Ask them give you a telephone no. to back to and report to the police. No one can take payment off your card without your explicit permission. Talk to visa people and tell them about this issue. They’ll make sure these charlatans do not rip you off.

February 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Hi bro! :lol:
                They did give me a phone number that is supposed to be toll free, but since it started with a ‘403’ I didn’t bother trying it. I just finished talking to VISA who said they cannot use my card if I didn’t give them the number, etc, unless the company I gave it to last year is a subsidiary and that’s in their fine print, whatever, whatever. There was a bit more, but I feel somewhat more reassured that the phone guy was blustering. Now if only he would stop calling my number which I have no intention of changing as I’ve had it forever and friends abroad whom it would be a headache to update.

February 15, 2013 at 11:02 am

Hot damn! This second term is kicking off with a bang. Look at that plan for universal pre-K. Look at it! Freaking fantastic. Expanding Head Start, improving education, using a dynamic approach to education, paying teachers a decent living wage, making sure the child is well taken care of and flourishing at home, incorporating parents into their kids education. Wow.

Then he’s taking 20 communities and showing the nation what an efficient government in cooperation with the private sector and citizens can do in terms of healthcare, reducing violence, making neighborhoods safer, uplifting neighborhoods in terms of retrofitting, education, jobs etc.

This second term is going to be the stuff of legends and I cannot wait to participate in moving this progress forward.

• 42 Ladyhawke
      February 15, 2013 at 11:06 am

Good morning UT. Your comment makes my heart sing.

February 15, 2013 at 11:18 am

Yes it does sound fantastic Utal, and I’m particularly encouraged by your enthusiasm because I choose to see you as representative of young adults in today’s politics. While the old political fogeys posture and delay and seek revenge, I want to believe the President is moving ahead with the support of young AND old who have vision. ‘This second term is going to be the stuff of legends’ indeed!

• 44 theo67
      February 15, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I love your comment – so much optimism and enthusiasm. The world really is getting better with President Obama at the helm. In so many ways!

11. February 15, 2013 at 11:04 am

GM Chipsticks, TOD. Congrats Betsy on #1

12. 47 Ladyhawke
    February 15, 2013 at 11:04 am

IN A TIME OF WAR

By Steve Benen

————————-

Throughout the Bush/Cheney era, this was as common as the sunrise. Dissent was equated with disloyalty. Prominent conservatives would casually throw around words like “treason,” “traitor,” and “fifth columnists.” To give the appearance to the world that Americans were divided at a time of war was, we were told, to help the enemy.

That was then. Their perspective seemed to change on Jan. 20, 2009.

I know the “if a Democrat did this…” comparison can get tiresome, and I try to avoid it. But try to imagine it’s 2005, Bush/Cheney just won a second term, and the president nominates a decorated war hero to lead the Pentagon. Then imagine Senate Democrats, for the first time in American history, blocking a vote on the nomination. Then imagine the Senate Democratic ringleader bragging on national television that Democrats did so in part because the nominee hurt their feelings. Then imagine liberal activists cheering them on.

——————————————

13. 48 relellit
    February 15, 2013 at 11:08 am

Good morning Chips and Todville,
    From thal LOL website;

Speaking of Valentine’s Day…McCain and Graham Caught Together at Washington Area Motel

Senator Graham of South Carolina and Senator McCain of Arizona have sparked an extraordinary friendship over the past year – teaming up on several issues including the investigation into the September 11th, 2012 attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

“I put earplugs in after I heard the one of them perform a ‘backdoor filibusterer’.

• 49 miss pat
      February 15, 2013 at 11:33 am

I wish this was true. It would have been nice to sit back and watch to see what Faux News and TEANN do. But it can happen or have happened, who to tell.

14. February 15, 2013 at 11:08 am

15. February 15, 2013 at 11:11 am

our POTUS is just so sweet!

In a moment of Internet DFTBA epic-ness, John Green appeared in a Google+ Hangout with President Obama today to interview him, and watched the President actually utter the phrase, “Don’t forget to be awesome.”

Here’s what happened: Green announced that he and his wife are expecting their second child. He asked Obama to pick one of two names, if it’s a girl. It was at that point that the President told Green’s forthcoming son or daughter to not forget to be awesome.

16. 55 Ladyhawke
    February 15, 2013 at 11:12 am

Ari Melber ‏@AriMelber

———————————-

GOP argument: (1) Obama should work more with Republicans, but (2) If he appoints one to a key position, we’ll do everything to stop him.

————————————

February 15, 2013 at 11:13 am

18. February 15, 2013 at 11:17 am

19. 58 Ladyhawke
    February 15, 2013 at 11:17 am

Senate Reaches Rare Bipartisan Agreement on Ted Cruz

By ELSPETH REEVE

———————————

Ted Cruz, Republican of Texas, has only been a U.S. Senator for 43 days, but he’s already accomplished the amazing feat of uniting both sides of the aisle. Less than six weeks into his term, a remarkable number of both Republicans and Democrats have come forward to say that they think Cruz is kind of a jerk. In a steady stream of reports from his new colleagues, Cruz’s rudeness comes in both public and private, and it’s not just the words he uses but also how many of them he uses.

“Behind closed doors, some Republican senators report that Cruz, in his stone-cold serious prosecutorial style, speaks at length when it’s far more common for freshmen to wait before asserting themselves — particularly ones who were just sworn in,” Politico’s Manu Raju reports. An unnamed Republican senator told The Washington Post’s Ruth Marcus that Cruz was “Jim De­Mint without the charm.” Marcus says Cruz’s relationship with fellow Texas Sen. John Cornyn is “frosty.” And his performance in recent hearings appears to have annoyed many.

————————————————–

• 59 dotster3
      February 15, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I have also noticed that he is the very definition of “jerk”. Another crazed tea party jerk, a damaging and detrimental addition to the senate.

• 60 theo67
      February 15, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Rand Paul better watch out. This is the kind of crass candidate that the tea party absolutely loves! The worse, the better for them. The rest of Congress better watch out that he doesn’t decide to bring back the tradition of beating fellow congress members with a cane…

20. 61 Ladyhawke
    February 15, 2013 at 11:19 am

Greg Sargent ‏@ThePlumLineGS

———————————————-

Serious question for reporters: How would press react if Ds said, “we must avert sequester only with 100% tax hikes”?

————————————————

21. 62 sherijr
    February 15, 2013 at 11:22 am

Happy Friday TOD, Ms. Chips ~ just have to say for the gazillionth time: I love my President.

• 63 carla4obama
      February 15, 2013 at 11:37 am

I mentioned this before the Nov. election….but could we, the TOD family, raise money to purchase a space on a billboard in D.C. that has a picture of our President with children and have the words “We Love Our President” I would gladly donate to this.
      What do you guys think?

22. 65 Ladyhawke
    February 15, 2013 at 11:23 am

Joy Reid ‏@TheReidReport

—————————————-

Is this a bad time to mention Rubio opposed Sonya Sotomayor & DREAM Act, & supported AZ’s “papers please” law after initially opposing it?

——————————————

• 66 carla4obama
      February 15, 2013 at 11:32 am

No..it’s the perfect time to mention it. When you speak out of “both side of your mouth”..well your mouth gets dry with all that hot air blowing through. He is no friend to hispanics. He speaks Spanish and has a Spanish last name, but he is not a brother. He looks out only for himself.

23. 67 dotster3
    February 15, 2013 at 11:25 am

Obama’s Chgo stop. I keep thinking about the situation in Chgo with so many young people gone astray, accounting for almost all of the gun violence. And I’ve heard many troubling references in the media by officials, the public and teens that PBO has to DO SOMETHING—–somehow expecting that he has a magic no gangs wand and a no drugs wand and a no poverty wand and a better parents wand that he can wave and make everything all okay. The problems are multi-layered, of course, and complicated, to put it mildly, and needs a multi-faceted solution, which President Obama understands and is addressing. It does indeed take a village, and everyone has to contribute, to make a new effort to make much needed changes. I keep thinking to the advantages I had growing up in Iowa, admittedly many moons ago. But we had great park district programs every summer at all our elementary schools attended by almost every kid—-organized games and sports and crafts, all free except for a nominal amount for craft projects. We had free swimming lessons. And best of all we had a place to go in high school every Friday and Saturday night—-a dance held at the YMCA—-with a DJ and dancing and a snack bar—–and after football and basketball games the opposing team and their fans were invited to attend. It was a good, fun and safe place to hang out with no alcohol—-in fact there was a breath test at the door—-which we laughed about —for years—but complied. Imagine having that job at the door. The only drama was possibly some girl in the girls’ bathroom crying about a breakup. But many new romances—-and dance styles—blossomed there. And in this day and age—-in the Indy h.s. where my daughter teaches, there is a public/private partnership to provide after school tutoring, entertainment, free snacks and late bus transportation home. There’s all kinds of great ideas——-people need to be willing to pitch in and make the effort—–they’re all our children, as President Obama reminds, and they deserve an effort to save them.

• February 15, 2013 at 11:37 am

The problems with gangs and gun violence in Chicago did not start in the past five years. Where were the Jesse Jacksons and the African American leaders during the Clinton years to change things in the city. Yes, Clinton got a gun ban but what were these so-called leaders doing to create jobs and opportunities? When you are too frightened to walk to school or having to run home to avoid gangs we are in a sorry state. Where are the families whose children are being cheated out of a childhood? Why do we only see them AFTER their child is killed? I blame the media for not holding the elected officials to protecting them. I think the police need to get together with the responsible parents and secretly identify the hardcore gang members. Unfortunately these might be family members who you don’t agree with.

February 15, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I am so disgusted at the behavior of the Senate Republicans toward a man who fought for this country. I would love to know how many of those Republican Senators fought for this country like Chuck Hagel did? What we witness yesterday was a disgrace.

24. February 15, 2013 at 11:32 am

• 72 57andfemale
        February 15, 2013 at 11:58 am

This is becoming a really interesting race. I also find it curious that the MSM is virtually ignoring it because it makes the point that Americans are sick to death of gun violence. Robin Kelly wasn’t supposed to get anywhere in this race. But the gun violence issue is THE issue. Halvorsen’s appearance on Fox to spout the NRA line was hi-larious.

• 75 dotster3
      February 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Anti NRA backer ads (Halvorson) running almost non-stop in Illinois.

February 15, 2013 at 11:43 am

These presentations are so emotional. Despite the crap we witness in Washington, there are some extraordinary citizens in this country.

26. February 15, 2013 at 11:45 am

• 79 Gazelle
      February 15, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Wow, LovelyPlains, I didn’t know this about Gaspard!

“Although he grew up in New York City, Gaspard was born in Zaire, now known as the Democratic Republic of Congo, after his Haitian-born parents moved there for his father’s teaching job. The family moved to New York when he was 3.”

PBO has some damn interesting people, I tell ya!

27. 80 sherijr
    February 15, 2013 at 11:48 am

Oh I read about her this morning: Janice jackson- from Baltimore!

28. February 15, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I couldn’t stop crying throughout the whole Citizen’s Medal of Honor presentation. What extraordinary people who demonstrate the true meaning of service and sacrifice and what a great President to honor them in this way. There is always HOPE in this White House.

29. 82 dotster3
    February 15, 2013 at 12:06 pm

What a touching ceremony that was—-the awarding of the Citizens’ medals—–great Americans all. I was sobbing away with the awarding of the medals to the families of the Sandy Hook teacher victims. So horribly sad. A very moving occasion. President Obama conducted it beautifully.

30. 83 57andfemale
    February 15, 2013 at 12:07 pm

31. February 15, 2013 at 12:08 pm

32. 85 Ladyhawke
    February 15, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Why Senate Republicans Confirmed John Kerry But Stalled Chuck Hagel

By Joe Conason

————————

The contrast between the swift confirmation of Kerry and the blockading of Hagel also pointed up the phoniness of Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC). As a condition of permitting a vote on the Hagel nomination, Graham insisted that he must have additional information from the White House about the jihadi attack on the US consulate in Benghazi. But if that information is so essential, why didn’t Graham, McCain, and their fellow Republicans hold up the nomination of Kerry for the same reason? As everyone in Washington knows, the answer is an example of their partisan venality: They hoped that Kerry’s vacated seat might be filled in a special election by their former colleague from Massachusetts, Republican Scott Brown.

By the time that the Senate adjourned, it was clear that Hagel was short of only a single vote to achieve cloture – and that the Senate Democrats, determined to win his confirmation, will eventually achieve their goal. They must, not only because Hagel is a qualified nominee selected by the Commander in Chief, but because the Senate cannot accord veto power over the president’s national security nominations to Republican extremists.

———————————————-

• 89 theo67
      February 15, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Bigots already have protection under the First Amendment – to a point. They can say whatever they want, and will suffer ridicule and shaming from civilized people – and will be prosecuted for discrimination, when appropriate. They don’t need any more protection than that.

• 90 57andfemale
        February 15, 2013 at 1:33 pm

This was scary-funny. However it’s time for Dem’s to stop laughing as if their idiocy won’t get passed, and ramp up the scary part and fight back.

33. February 15, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I was watching that ceremony on CNN’s live streaming where, sometimes, you can hear the cameramen/women and media speaking at the back. I don’t know if this smart-ass dick was referring to the President or himself, but after the ceremony you could hear him say:

“Thank you for your selfless service to our country, I am going on a long vacation.”

It was his tone that got me – clearly utterly unmoved by the ceremony. Amazing.

February 15, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I didn’t hear the comments but I would wager that the reference was to the President and his weekend trip to West Palm Beach. It’s amazing how these racist GOP spokespersons in the corporate media get all huffy whenever the President takes some time to relax – would the same person make a remark like that about Boehner and congress taking 10 days break once a month without doing a damn thing?

Since when a weekend trip is “long vacation?” Since Barack Obama became President.

• February 15, 2013 at 12:35 pm

WHAT!!!! That’s a bunch of B.S., I am 100% positive he is referring to PBO. Sarcasticly quoting PBO hand out medals, then w/ snark ” I’m going on vacation”

• February 15, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Who do they think they are? POTUS is not going on a long vacation and even if he was, there is absolutely no reason for him not to. He works hard every single day no matter where he is and these idiots act like he’s supposed to be chained to his desk. Screw them!

• February 15, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Meta, I don’t know if the creep was referring to himself taking a vacation, or the President – I’d guess the President. It was the cynical snark from him after such an emotional ceremony that really got me. I actually have it recorded and played it back to check, made my blood boil.

34. 102 JER
    February 15, 2013 at 12:23 pm

| Live | President Obama departs for Chicago: http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

35. 103 57andfemale
    February 15, 2013 at 12:28 pm

• February 15, 2013 at 12:51 pm

This is about slow-walking and stalling everything so there’s never enough time for meaningful accomplishment. Nothing has changed from the last election. Before the Republican’s aim was to deny the President a second term. Now they want to deny him a legacy. As Gingrich said, “if you think his first term was something, just wait ’til you see what happens this term.”

• 105 57andfemale
        February 15, 2013 at 1:32 pm

A memo apparently Harry Reid never got.

• 106 a night owl
        February 15, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Yup. I saw this discussion on Lawrence O’Donnell’s show last night. Republicans are employing a “delay of game” strategy: they are hoping to run out the clock on the 113th Congress. There are only a limited number of days on the Senate schedule, and every day they burn (with vacations, filibusters, holds, whatever) is one less day for the President and Democrats to accomplish anything. Until I heard this, the filibuster of Hagel made no sense to me whatsoever, since they will come back in 10 days and confirm him anyway. Just seemed stupid, even for Lindsay Graham and John McCain.

• 107 jackiegrumbacher
        February 15, 2013 at 3:15 pm

They can’t deny the president a legacy. That is already assured and their petty little tactics can’t change that.

36. February 15, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Here’s that dick I mentioned:

• February 15, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I want to know who that jerk-dick is.

• February 15, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I’d love to know too Dotser, he could be part of the camera team, no way of knowing. Still can’t get over the sarc so soon after such an emotional ceremony.

• February 15, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Whats wrong with these people? How long is a vacation with one holiday off? I have Saturday, Sunday and Monday off due to the holiday…is that a LONG vacation? So small minded…hope they fire him, but you know they wont!

• 114 theo67
      February 15, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Who was the idiot talking about? Because surely, he couldn’t have been referring to the President taking a weekend off?

• February 15, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Theo, that’s what made me wonder whether he was talking about the President or himself – could even a RWNJ classify Friday night to Monday a “long vacation”? But the “Thank you for your selfless service to our country” made me think he was mocking PBO??

37. 119 Ladyhawke
    February 15, 2013 at 1:01 pm

“First you win the argument…then you win the vote”

By Smartypants

—————————–

Above all the madness about specifics like filibusters, sequesters, the insanity of the NRA, the nativists, etc, there is an overarching battle going on. I spoke to that a bit yesterday in writing about President Obama’s long game on transformational politics. And today when I read Eugene Robinson’s column, I understood it a bit better…”first you win the argument, then you win the vote.”

Our side of that overarching argument was summed up this way by President Obama at the end of his SOTU address:
    Whether we’re talking about budgets, immigration reform, gun violence, equality, education, climate change, or any other issue – they come back to the question of whether we’re all in this together or whether, as the Republicans suggest, you’re on your own.

On specific votes these days, we’ll win some and lose some. But its important to always keep our eye on the state of the overall argument. We’re clearly winning that one.

———————————————-

• 120 jackiegrumbacher
      February 15, 2013 at 3:07 pm

This is so absolutely spot on, LH. As I said on an earlier thread yesterday, the president presented a liberal vision in his SOTU that 67 percent of those hearing really liked and supported. He “won” the argument, on gun violence, early education, the sequester, the economy, immigration, voting, etc. And each time the R’s reject and obstruct him (and the things people really want) they put another nail in their coffin and get us closer to a Democratic congress. If the GOP thinks they can pin their failures on the president, they have another think coming. Not this time and not with this president.

38. 121 theo67
    February 15, 2013 at 1:10 pm

The most revealing thing about John McCain whining that Chuck Hagel said mean things about Bush is that McCain (and probably many of his fellow Republican cronies) thinks Bush WASN’T the worst President in our lifetimes. Do they really not understand that many people want Bush arrested and brought up on war crimes? Don’t they get that Bush failed at his job completely, and caused the death of thousands of Americans and maybe millions more in Iraq? Do the Republicans not understand that the creation of Gitmo, and the torture done in the name of every American violated international law and ignited hatred towards this country like nothing else has done since then?

If Republicans don’t think Bush and Cheney did anything wrong while they were in office, then it’s pretty much a guarantee that they will repeat those mistakes should they ever have power again. Republicans have lost their way, and their souls in the process.

• 122 jackiegrumbacher
      February 15, 2013 at 3:10 pm

theo, people like McCain and his cronies are blinded by hatred and have sunk so deep into their own bubbles that have have no perspective on anything, much less Bush and his position in history. There isn’t going to be a single future analysis that doesn’t put Bush in the worst category of US presidents. Not one.

39. February 15, 2013 at 1:13 pm

• 124 jackiegrumbacher
      February 15, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Well it’s a start,and if it saves a life, that’s great. But much, much more has to be done to address the health crisis of gun violence in this
      country.

40. February 15, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Report: Emanuel checking with Dem donors about a 2016 presidential bid

Alexandra Jaffe – 02/15/13 09:42 AM ET
    The Chicago mayor has reportedly made discreet inquiries with prominent Democratic donors.  …

So, Clinton/Emanuel the return of the DLC? Yuck! But certainly better than a republican.

41. February 15, 2013 at 1:28 pm

• February 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Since the theme of “dicks” in the media is overflowing today, add this to the list. “Let’s convey our enthusiasm today for mocking a 102-year old woman who had to wait an entire day to vote! Good dog, Bill. Fetch.”

February 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Racists bastards, that is all they are over their at FOX.

42. February 15, 2013 at 1:44 pm

43. February 15, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Chipsticks did you know the President is going to FL by himslef? FLOTUS and the daughters are going skiing this weekend, while the president plans “a couple” of rounds of golf. Via press pool. I didnt……..

44. 136 proudmemberofglobalzero
    February 15, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Asteroid to pass BY us starting at 2 through 4 this afternoon. Here is the NASA link. Live now. Nothing showing up until 2 but I am going to watch:

45. 138 whatisworking
    February 15, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Happy Friday TODers

Time fo my encouraging quote of the day

“Encourage your kids because you have no idea what they are truly capable of.”
    ~Unknown~

Once again, please share this video on gun violence, any help you can give in getting these videos out there for viewing is appreciated

Pro Football Stars Demand A Plan

For a web page with many videos on gun violence please visit

RSS OFA