Feb

Rise and Shine

The President will remain in Palm City, Florida through Monday, Feb 18. No public events are scheduled

President Obama greets supporters after arriving at West Palm Beach International Airport, Feb. 15

Paul Krugman: It looks as if President Obama has successfully set a political trap over the minimum wage. Raising the minimum is very popular — even a narrow majority of Republicans are for it. But Republican leaders are opposed. And they’d like people to believe that their opposition is driven by sincere concern for workers who might lose their jobs.

Well, this isn’t likely to work…..

….. Maybe once upon a time, when Republicans were less intellectually inbred, they could have pulled off the stunt of seeming to care about the people supposedly hurt by a higher minimum wage. But I really don’t think they’re up to it at this point.

Full post here

Love this:

ThinkProgress: President Obama’s call for a minimum wage increase in Tuesday’s State of the Union address — like nearly all of his proposals — was met with immediate opposition from Congressional Republicans. But six years ago, many of the same Republicans supported a similar proposal backed by Republican President George W. Bush.

A ThinkProgress analysis finds that at least 67 Republicans who are still in Congress today backed an increase in the minimum wage in some form, including Rep. Paul Ryan….

More here

In case you missed this last night, comedy gold from Fox:

ThinkProgress: ….. On Friday, Fox Business host Stuart Varney and Fox News host Steve Doocy attacked preschool access as a government handout intended to extend “literally, the nanny state.” ….. Even though Obama cannot run for office a third time, the host warned the president is using preschool to entice a whole new generation of toddlers to support him when they’re eligible in 15 years….

More here

That’s right, President Obama is proposing ‘free’ preschool so toddlers will vote for him ‘in the future’. :???:

Hyde Park Academy, Feb. 15

Gail Collins (NYT): We seem to be short one secretary of defense …. Chuck Hagel, nominated yet totally-still-not-confirmed by the U.S. Senate. A Senate that is beginning to resemble a bad Carnival cruise. They’re dead in the water, nothing’s working and the chief engineer is Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina.

….. If [McCain] were on a Carnival cruise, he would be the captain. A captain who got on the P.A. and announced that the ship was going to Mexico. No, Alabama! No, in a circle! Or maybe we’ll just stay dead in the water until a week from Tuesday and see what happens.

Both McCain and Graham have changed their tune repeatedly over what the critical, central problem is about making Chuck Hagel the secretary of defense. The goal posts have not just been moved; they’ve been put on a tractor-trailer and driven down every highway exit in the continental United States.

…. Hagel wasn’t in government when the [Benghazi] attack occurred. He had nothing to do with it. Watching the Republicans fight this nomination over Benghazi is sort of like watching the crew of a disabled cruise ship racing around yelling about a bridge being out on the Amtrak route to Montreal.

Full article here

Business Insider: The blockbuster bid for a U.S.-European Union trade deal announced by President Obama in Tuesday’s State of the Union speech won’t be easy, but it has the potential to reshape the global export market and provide a nudge to economies on both sides of the Atlantic.

The U.S. and European Union together already account for nearly half of global GDP and a third of global trade flows, with some $2.7 billion worth of goods and services exchanged daily. The agreement would increase trade between the partners by $120 billion within five years, according to a study by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. At the same time, it would add some $180 billion to U.S.-EU gross domestic product. Estimates put forth by the European Commission suggest a new trade pact could increase annual GDP by 0.5 percent in the EU and 0.4 percent in the U.S. by 2027.

More here

The President’s plan to reduce gun violence: here

Oh dear, GOPolitico just won’t ever forgive Nate for saying they cover politics like sports but “not in an intelligent way at all”:

TPM: Polling guru Nate Silver and Politico investigative reporter Ken Vogel lobbed angry messages at each other Friday on Twitter over, of all things, whether to call something a “clarification” or a “correction.”

…. After the article was published, Silver updated the piece and appended a clarification ….. Vogel thought that note should have been labeled a “correction” instead, and he took to Twitter to complain. Silver fired back, and the battle was on.

“At this point you’re just being a troll and misleading your Twitter followers about what I wrote,” Silver wrote to Vogel. “Grow up.”

…. This isn’t the first time Silver has sparred with someone at Politico….

More here

Martha’s Vineyard, Aug. 24, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

USA Today: It looks like Golf Digest has unearthed the big reason President Obama is spending Presidents Day weekend in Palm City, Fla. He’s getting golf lessons from one of the sport’s top coaches.

Butch Harmon, who has worked with Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, and other golf stars, will school Obama, as will son Claude Harmon III.

Palm City – where the president will spend the weekend – is the home of The Floridian Golf Club and the Harmon School of Golf.

More here

A blast from the past:

A year ago: “Chuck Kennedy took this photograph of women reacting in the Red Room after being surprised by First Lady Michelle Obama during their White House tour.” Feb. 16, 2012

MoooOOOoooOOOorning!

236 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

February 16, 2013 at 9:35 am

Morning! PBO looks fabulous and so relaxed with no tie…I hope he has a relaxing weekend, playing golf, getting some sun, and just hanging out. No one deserves this President’s day getaway more than he does:)

2. 16 a4alice
    February 16, 2013 at 9:36 am

congrats GB! Good morning TOD – wow Chips! You’ve got a smorgasboard of all kinds of delicacies to choose from! Thanks :-)

• February 16, 2013 at 9:39 am

A bit of this, that and the other Alice! Morning!

• 18 carolmaewy
        February 16, 2013 at 10:32 am

I am going to read the hilarious Gail Collins and then TPM. That sounds like high school. :shock: No one ever has shared gossip with me. :roll: I am writing a little Facebook posting and tweet to the immensely stupid Chris Hayes. Heard a comment before I hit the mute button. The guest list is on the WH.GOV website, right? Anywhere there is invitations? I’m playing Nancy Drew. I’ll share if you care. ;)

February 16, 2013 at 9:40 am

Why am I not surprised that Chris Hayes has been invited to be on one of the GOP CPAC’s panels?

• 20 Jovie
      February 16, 2013 at 9:43 am

Msnbc job is increasingly becoming- both sides do it crap!
      The Anchors on Msnbc, attack the President from the left, and it has The same result as attacking him from the right.
      It’s desired outcome, is to dissuade voters from voting democratic.
      Ralph Nader would be proud.

• 21 Bill
      February 16, 2013 at 9:47 am

Rachel seemed not to know if he would accept. I was very surprised. Why weren’t you? GOP CPAC is really at the far end of the rwnj spectrum.

• 22 Jovie
        February 16, 2013 at 9:56 am

Unless, they pick a subject, like say, Drones?

• 23 Nena20409
        February 16, 2013 at 10:17 am

Didn’t Dr. Maddow attend a CPAC event in 2008 or 2009? I think she did then.

February 16, 2013 at 10:21 am

Yes, I remember although she wasn’t invited to be on panels. She supposedly attended on her own out of curiosity. And I couldn’t help but note how excited/happy she seemed in the presence of Sarah Palin.

• 25 Bill
          February 16, 2013 at 10:24 am

She walked around the exhibits and talked to the people at the John Birch Society stand. She also ran into Liz Cheney in the hall and asked her for an interview with no response. I don’t think she was a panel participant.

• 26 Nena20409
            February 16, 2013 at 1:23 pm

So now, CPAC is inviting Dr. Maddow as a panelist? Hmm? I am sure that as a Rhodes Scholar, a PhD in Political Science, with an A+ mind, if I had her background, honestly, I would jump at it. My late dad was a professor who always encouraged his students to engage with those who disagree with you.

• February 16, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Hello everyone, regarding Dr. Maddow, I recall when she first startd her television show, she would invite republicans and they would not come on her show. It is a bit odd that now they want her to be a panelist at CPAC? Very interesting.. I guess all the Obama bashing on her part, and getting the far left on an anti-Obama stance is paying off. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

4. 28 dotster3
    February 16, 2013 at 9:41 am

I’d say the best news of the day is that President Obama WILL be running for a 5th term when those toddlers he cleverly tricked into voting for him will re-elect him decisively. Hallelujah!

5. 39 Dudette
    February 16, 2013 at 9:41 am

Just poked my head in to say “Hi”. I’m off to go help a friend move – bottle of Tylenol in hand!
    Have a great Saturday everybody!

6. 43 carolmaewy
    February 16, 2013 at 9:52 am

Good morning . Congrats Go Brooklyn. Have a great day everyone.

7. 44 Jovie
    February 16, 2013 at 9:52 am

The President pushed stimulus and minimum wage increase in his weekly address.
    Did you see it?
    I was watching political Capitol in Bloomberg channel, and they were critical of the president for not pushing fir the minimum wage increase while he was out and about.
    Until, that is, he did.
    Silly rabbits, tricks are for kids.

• February 16, 2013 at 9:54 am

“Silly rabbits, tricks are for kids.”

:lol: You’re in flying form this morning Jovie!!

• 46 carolmaewy
      February 16, 2013 at 11:04 am

Send in Beatrix Kiddo. She must be a good single Mom. :twisted:

• 47 carolmaewy
      February 16, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I went to my calculator to see this minimum wage for what it is. If someone makes $9 an hour and IF they work a 40 hour week, four weeks a month, twelve months a year, before taxes, they earn $17,240. Maybe they get health care, 401K, two weeks vacation, etc. but I doubt it. I could not live on that, me alone. So what would I do in my situation? I would apply for food stamps, Medicaid, and I might qualify for Welfare. So who is picking up the tab to make my life bearable? I think it’s the taxpayer. We are subsidizing Walmart, Papa Johns, Applebee’s, and others. Companies making HUGE profits.
      Did you hear about the old guy on Fox telling that he made 85 cents an hour, poor baby, and he turned out ok. Well buster, I once made 65 cents an hour. Guess how I turned out?

• 48 theo67
        February 16, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Carol – the sad thing is that the old guy on Fox thinks it’s ok for Americans to make huge profits for 1% of the population, while nearly 50% lives at or below the poverty line, and middle class doesn’t mean what it used to mean. Why are their standards so low? They love to rant about “American Exceptionalism”, and yet, they don’t want to do anything to make/keep it exceptional. Why would an old man want people to live on 85 cents an hour, as though he doesn’t realize that it’s substandard, and nowhere near “exceptional”.

• 49 carolmaewy
          February 16, 2013 at 12:47 pm

You are so right. I have nothing profound to say, but he’s talking from his backside. :twisted:

• 52 jackiegrumbacher
          February 16, 2013 at 4:06 pm

The good news, theo, is that it IS old men and women who complain the most about the slightest benefit to those at the bottom. You don’t see any young people complaining about raising the minimum wage. And which party appeals to young people? And who’s likely to outlive old people? And what is going to be their long-term opinion of young people re Republicans? Our president is very, very smart.

• 53 theo67
            February 16, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I think you’re right when speaking broadly, but don’t forget, there was a woman at the Google Hangout who complained about lifting people out of poverty because it would deprive her of her daily Starbucks.

• February 16, 2013 at 1:00 pm

the old guy on Fox telling that he made 85 cents an hour…..
        What year was it when he made 85 cents and hour?

• February 16, 2013 at 10:03 am

Get ready. If it’s anything like the book, and I suspect it will be, you will be livid. I will definitely be watching.

February 16, 2013 at 10:14 am

The lies of the Bush administration have made me livid for years…I think this will be a must see….just to solidify it for many people that still need reminding of the incredible, reckless damage they did. Everything they touched, turned to shit. I detest all of them for what they did. I can’t imagine being any more livid than I already am…

• 61 jackiegrumbacher
          February 16, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Yes, df, but the great John McCain tells us that the Bush administration can’t be criticized and the Iraq war was all good…and damned that Hagel for saying otherwise.

• 62 Vicki
      February 16, 2013 at 10:45 am

We all should watch this. Rachel is narrating not opinionating.
      I hope MSNBC plays this over and over for the next 4 years.

• 63 carolmaewy
      February 16, 2013 at 11:07 am

I hope it’s everything your reply’s expect. I’ve already got it set to record. Sorry, I just don’t know to everyone who replied to you. :(

8. February 16, 2013 at 9:58 am

Goooooood mooooooorning, Chips and TODers!!

à la POTUS, does everyone have some fun on their agenda this weekend?

9. 82 Jovie
    February 16, 2013 at 9:59 am

3 GOP governors say they won’t work with feds on ‘ObamaCare’
    Sam Baker
    02/15/13 04:31 PM ET
    The governors’ rejections mean that the federal government will run exchanges in New Jersey, Florida and Tennessee.…

February 16, 2013 at 10:03 am

Silly rabbits:)

• 84 carolmaewy
      February 16, 2013 at 11:18 am

Wyoming is not accepting Medicaid funding from Obamacare. Does that mean they will have the Feds in here too? Or is that separate? I just can’t remember those details. The states that don’t participate and have the Feds in there will be the beginning of Medicare for all. :shock:

• 85 jackiegrumbacher
        February 16, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I think it’s separate, carol. Maybe it means there will be extra money for states where the Medicaid need is higher and maybe Wyoming residents will wake up and realize they’ve just been cheated by their governor.

• 87 jackiegrumbacher
      February 16, 2013 at 4:12 pm

And that also means that these exchanges will be better run than those in other states. Republican governors are congenitally stupid–never saw such a bunch of idiots determined to cut off their noses to spite……well they don’t even know, but they’ll cut them anyway.

10. 88 Jovie
    February 16, 2013 at 10:06 am

Senator Begich starts off as early favorite to win re election in Alaska-

That’s important.

11. 89 CEB
    February 16, 2013 at 10:07 am

Good morning everyone. Hope PBO has great golfing weather and the best time ever with his buddies and the pros.

Chips, just wanted to say another thank you for all that you do here. Thanks also to the regular contributors for the knowledge and the laughs.

• 90 proudmemberofglobalzero
      February 16, 2013 at 11:34 am

Live here. Sunny, warm and windy now. Temp drop to 40 by tonight. Rained most of the last two days. Sorry guys, my yard needed two days of a slow soaking rain.

12. 101 dotster3
    February 16, 2013 at 10:07 am

We know way more than the news—–non shockingly. NBC News Chicago just reported that President is back home in the White House this morning after his visit to Chicago yesterday. Geez. Sloppy. How can they be so unaware—–of the news?

February 16, 2013 at 10:14 am

SHAMEFUL.

• 103 Nena20409
      February 16, 2013 at 10:25 am

Media, getting something wrong :shock:

In 2002, Fox FL Affiliate won in the Courts that Lies, oops, they were NOT obligated to correctly inform the public. Now…..the Founding Fathers were NOT obligated to trust one another’s Words? Our nearly 237 yrs of ore cherished Constitution would Never have been or materialized. Then a Man’s word was his Virtue….his Being, his Honor. The Courts, ideologically, have screwed the nation, royally again.

• February 16, 2013 at 10:30 am

I suppose they still think Obamacare was overturned by the Supreme Court? And we lost Ohio?

February 16, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Well Dotster, if news sources were truly AWARE of what the President was doing, it wouldn’t be right for them to make up stuff, would it? They are safeguarding their integrity by intuiting, instead of ‘knowing’. (= vc snark) :roll:

13. 106 proudofobama
    February 16, 2013 at 10:11 am

Good morning, Chips and TOD family. Chips, why are you making me swoon so early in the morning with these pics of POTUS? Dang, he’s looking mighty fine arriving in FL. Glad he’s taking golf lessons. My late husband took lessons in Tampa, FL. I loved it because while we was in golf school I was shopping everywhere I could.

February 16, 2013 at 10:23 am

So I’d argue that there is good reason to believe that a President Romney and a GOP House would not have pursued the strategy that Republicans now advocate. Chances are they’d have decided, as Dick Cheney famously did back in the days when the administration he was in was running them up, that “deficits don’t matter.” As my colleague David Frum likes to say, “We’re all Keynesians during Republican administrations.”

In other words: if they had the actual responsibility of power, there is no way on earth Republicans would be pushing for such drastic budget cuts. This in turn suggests, if I’m correct, that they have to know on some level that what they’re proposing right now is harmful to the economy. But they can’t admit it, because admitting it would toss 30 years of arguments about the economy out the window, and because admitting it would by implication bring them around to more rational policies that would help the country—which would also be policies that helped Obama. And that, in Republicanland, is the greatest mortal sin there is.

BINGO!

• 119 theo67
      February 16, 2013 at 1:05 pm

This story forgets that Romney and friends were pimping Paul Ryan’s disastrous budget, which would have focused on saving Defense contractors, the top 1% of this country and corporations, and paying for all of it on the backs of the poor and dwindling middle class. They would have renewed and strengthened the Bush tax cuts (at least the one for the rich) and cut all federal programs and the number of federal employees. They wouldn’t have needed the Sequester, because they’d be well on the way to the flat tax that would save the rich, increasing taxes on the poor (and imprisoning many of them for profit), and finally establishing a Banana Republic.

February 16, 2013 at 10:26 am

Wow….so Pres. Obama is going to run in again in about 15 years when the toddlers are eligible to vote for him. That’s some kind of wicked awesome Jedi Mind Trick or Fox is even more batshit crazy than I thought.

Yeah….I’m going with the latter.

In a second life, Pres. Obama is coming back as a model who constantly graces the cover of GQ, Men’s Health, and Rolling Stone. Holy Smokes!…..Dude has swagger.

• February 16, 2013 at 10:33 am

Either way, I’M IN.

• February 16, 2013 at 10:37 am

It’s great news UT, as Dotster said, according to Fox, we have three more terms to look forward too :cool:

February 16, 2013 at 10:39 am

Or as Bob Cesca says: s giving out “the goodies” to 4-year-olds so they will vote for him 14 years from now. And I suppose he will use his time machine, the same time machine he used to plant his birth certificate, to take these preschoolers back to 2012 so they can vote for him.

Of course, in the real world, a depressing number of these 4-year-old conspirators will drop out of school, many will become Republicans or — even worse — libertarians, and some will be killed by our gun culture before they even have the opportunity to use the president’s time machine to vote for him.

Or, with a quality education, we may avoid each of those problems all together, which is what the insufferable Steve Doocy and Stuart Varney are really concerned about.

February 16, 2013 at 10:42 am

Let’s have some “Swagger Saturday” shall we? :) Thanks, 3 Chics!

• 128 carolmaewy
        February 16, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Thank you DF. And to 3 chics. He looks good in a cowboy hat! Did you notice in one of the photos he was wearing a purple tie and his suit was a deep plum? Michele might have given him that one. Never noticed him in any other color suit, but blue and black. :grin: It was about 3:40 give or take.

• February 16, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Well…….Michelle Obama could run! And then there are the girls….

• 131 theo67
      February 16, 2013 at 1:07 pm

UT – no need to wait for a second life – he’s already all that…

16. 132 Jovie
    February 16, 2013 at 10:35 am

The President arrived in West Palm Beach last night-

Dotster says that he went back to WH this morning.
    Something is up! Something is going on for him to be summoned back to WH, or maybe one of the news outlets is wring altogether?

17. 138 globalcitizenlinda
    February 16, 2013 at 10:38 am

Morning everyone!

Yesterday, someone commented that they had listned/read an interview of some of the young men that PBO spoke to in private in Hyde Park. Please share that link. Thanks

• 139 theo67
      February 16, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I think they were referencing the very brief interview done during the live stream with a couple of the young men – before the President started speaking.

• 141 mtmarilyn
      February 16, 2013 at 11:08 am

Thanks for posting that. My friend just sent this out and said it was a great read. Hope you have a great Saturday. I am off with friends for the day.

February 16, 2013 at 11:24 am

Morning, Marilyn:) I just finished reading it…excellent read. Have a great day…I’m off to go tutor soon.

• 143 Vicki
          February 16, 2013 at 12:32 pm

long but entirely absorbing—-probably because it tells me exactly what I want to hear: Democrats infinitely superior and likely to remain that way for the forseeable future.

February 16, 2013 at 11:11 am

I’m listening to music while working (and TOD-ing) on this quiet, but cloudy Saturday morning. It’s all good.

• 145 prettyfoot58
      February 16, 2013 at 11:56 am

Indeed HF.

It is all good!!!

…PBO is in the WH…and he is pushing FORWARD…he is not worrying about the pundits and the naysayers who say it can’t be done…that it is too hard…He is standing UP for the CITIZENS of our country…inspiring us to fight…

yesterday a TODer posted a link to photos chonicleling some of the happenings in 1963, including photos of the historical civil rights movement…these photos reminded me of the tremendous courage of those citizens involved in the Civil Rights Movement…they risked everything including their lives…the courage that they displayed…humbled me…inspired me…strengthened me…

Whatever the MOVEMENT….

Suffrage….Abolition…..Union….Voting….etc….

It is the Courage of the Citizens that has brought about victory…thru hard work and undying faith in what we can do together…and the righteousnes of our cause….

So too now as PBO has said we are called upon to be as courageous and committed as those citizens were…in order to bring out change…We are the change we seek!

19. 146 globalcitizenlinda
    February 16, 2013 at 11:13 am

Isn’t monday Presidents’ day – can’t recall correctly

it makes perfect sense to see that PBO (born in sunny Hawai) headed to Palm Beach (sunny weather) for the weekend even as reports indicate that FLOTUS (born in Cold Chicago) headed for slopes to ski

20. February 16, 2013 at 11:20 am

President Obama is so damn fine, jeez I need to go take a shower and that swagger he has just makes his fineness only hotter :-)

21. 149 Pamela
    February 16, 2013 at 11:28 am

Woke up with this at 2:30am… Thought I’d had better share it with y’all! Have a wonderful day, play a little golf, y’hear?! :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3kCGyqAEiA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

22. 155 Jovie
    February 16, 2013 at 11:32 am

Rep Jackson to pleas guilty! I say, go to rehab and stay there for one year.
    Circumvent prison time, sort of reminds me of Blago, but Blago was not certified as bi polar.

23. 158 Jovie
    February 16, 2013 at 12:00 pm

President Obama can – and will – take steps on immigration reform in the event Congress doesn’t reach a comprehensive deal this year, according to several House Democratic leaders.

Obama to the rescue again, because congress will not do their jobs.

24. 159 dotster3
    February 16, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Knoller seemed too happy and anxious to report rain in the forecast for Obama. I just checked the weather forecast—-if you call a 5% chance of rain “rain in the forecast”, well then yes, I guess. Just partly cloudy, high of 73. Cool tomorrow, 0% chance of rain. Familiar golf buds, Eric Whitaker and Marvin Nicholson along for the fun, staying in one of the cottages on the property. 8 abortion protesters bothered to show up, left shortly after arrival because no one cared that they were there. Other people leaving the club were nice and happy PBO was there, said they wished they had a chance to meet him, that he should enjoy the wide open course, usually only 3 or 4 foursomes are playing at any one time. Too many diff links to post. tcpalm seems interested in his visit there.

• February 16, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Poor knoller….doesn’t he know OUR President is not afraid of alittle rain…….for PBO supporters it’s just another opportunity to see him in his wet soaked clothes, rain running off his face,……off to the naughty matt.

• 161 Jovie
      February 16, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Their is rain on the west coast of Florida right now. I see it out my window. :)

February 16, 2013 at 12:49 pm

26. February 16, 2013 at 12:58 pm

27. 170 Jovie
    February 16, 2013 at 1:09 pm

This is the stupidest argument I have ever heard-

And red is blue and green is purple and grey is orange and…
    Whatev…

28. February 16, 2013 at 1:14 pm

29. 173 Nena20409
    February 16, 2013 at 1:38 pm

When the House voted 222 Yes to go on vacation. Yet Weeper Boehner is still claiming that Congress is NOT out of session?

Then if I were Leader Pelosi, why can’t she and her party, when the House pretends in a couple of days to gavel the house in, show up and object and demand for a vote to gavel the House closed for the day? Do what has never been done before and PUSH the envelope as the TBGOPers have been doing for the last 17 yrs…..or more, since 1995 and worst, since 2009.

• February 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm

They’ve tried to speak up and request recognition during these sessions but their voices are just met with a gavel and a call for adjournment. It’s the rudest thing I’ve ever seen. They are only required to be “in session” for a second.

30. 176 kasai
    February 16, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Good Day Everyone :-):-)

Best part of news from West Palm Beach News was this paragraph:-)

The White House arranged for the reporters who travel with the president to stay at a hotel in Port St. Lucie, about a 25-minute drive away. They were not expected to see the president during the three-day holiday weekend until he boards Air Force One to return home.

>>>Mark Knoller has a big sad…lol!!!

Have a Wonderful Day!!!!

February 16, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I feel good! Just finished my tutoring session, AND signed a petition to recall Joe Arpiao:) Awesome Saturday! Any AZ folks here need to go to their nearest library and sign that thing! Take your voting age friends, neighbors and family members with you! That corrupt, lying POS needs to go!

32. 195 dotster3
    February 16, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Military planes escort/force small Cessna out of air space restricted for President Obama’s visit in Florida

33. February 16, 2013 at 3:07 pm

We must have gone through an old comets tail debris?

February 16, 2013 at 3:27 pm

One fool in Russia claimed America was behind their meteor explosion … and now there was one over Cuba? More fodder for the nutjobs.

I’m goin’ back to my Saturday “projects” (yuck!) … trying to stay off the blog for a little while. Have fun, guys!

February 16, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Walking in boldly though a bit late, to take my seat even though I haven’t the remotest idea what’s been happening and who’s in the village! In fact, wondering who is in the village at the moment reminds me that I haven’t seen Cookemom for a couple of days. She must be running marathons to make up for those snowy days when she had to stay inside. Hey, CM, don’t overdo, plus we need you here to share your chosen song lyrics or poetry! ;) ;)

February 16, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Me guessin’ cookemom was … er … busy … because the President was nearby. She goes all out. (Don’t ask too many questions.) :)

February 16, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Right, JO’B! I forgot all about their ‘special’ communication – winking and waving and making eye contact and flying overhead, etc. etc.. You are right, I won’t ask too many questions, J. Thanks for the reminder.

February 16, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Happy Saturday, folks! Thanks for the photo of the women at the White House, Chips (sob!). What a treasure that their moment was captured in a photo, for them and us.

Here’s a moment we’d all like to forget, but it’s some Saturday snark which made me (half) laugh:

• 206 susanne
      February 16, 2013 at 3:39 pm

morning jacqueline~
      the photo of those ladies hugging and crying after meeting our first lady always brings tears to my eyes. this is a moment of deep significance to them, and to all of us.

also too, shrub is worst since king tut!! love it!

36. February 16, 2013 at 3:30 pm

37. 209 Ladyhawke
    February 16, 2013 at 3:33 pm

roadkillrefugee ‏@rkref

—————————————

Oh look. David Gregory is appearing Sunday on Meet John McCain.

—————————————

38. February 16, 2013 at 3:39 pm

:D :D :D

So clever, that David Axelrod!

39. 213 Ladyhawke
    February 16, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Is this the new McCarthyism? Ted Cruz’s innuendo war against Hagel

40. 214 susanne
    February 16, 2013 at 3:47 pm

the savior will appear in the east! hopefully he’ll be supplied with a water-filled backpack. i hear it’s pretty dry in the desert :)

‘ Republican rising star Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) departed for the Middle East on Saturday, beginning a journey that could do much to burnish the possible 2016 presidential candidate’s foreign policy credentials.

Rubio will visit Israel and Jordan and will meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Palestinian Prime Minister Fayyad and Jordan’s King Abdullah.

His trip comes as Secretary of State John Kerry prepares to visit the region in his inaugural trip in his new position, and ahead of President Obama’s first trip to Israel in March. ‘

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/283599-rubio-embarks-on-trip-to-middle-east#ixzz2L64XCOf4
    Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

• February 16, 2013 at 4:46 pm

This doesn’t feel right to me. There is something discordant about Rubio visiting the region and meeting with dignitaries prior to the President and The Secretary of State. What is the message he is going to impart? I smell a rat!

• 216 theo67
      February 16, 2013 at 8:41 pm

President Obama once said, “you don’t run for President to BE something; you run for President to DO something”. These shallow hurdles that Rubio is jumping may give him a stamp on his passport, but they don’t stand for anything related to foreign policy experience or give any stature to Rubio’s presidential ambitions. The fact that people think these shallow gestures can actually make someone ready or give evidence of their judgement and maturity to run the world – it’s offensive! We have an example right now of a man who takes the job very seriously, and puts thought into every single decision he makes and the ramifications, thereof. This move from Rubio, in advance of a very important trip by the actual head of state of this country and chief diplomat – it’s a dangerous thing to do given that there are real lives that are in jeopardy in the region – and they need real help.

If Rubio wanted to burnish his foreign policy chops, why couldn’t he ask President Obama to include him in the President’s trip?

• 218 theo67
      February 16, 2013 at 3:57 pm

That isn’t a normal person. There’s something wrong that person. And I hope he goes to jail forever. If he can do that to a baby, already under distress, what would he do to a child or adult in the streets who happens to be black? Not right.

41. 221 proudofobama
    February 16, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Chips, MSNBC showed video of POTUS arrival in FL. Could you find it, please? I must see him walk.

February 16, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Tweet Please!!

43. 229 yardarm756
    February 16, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Thought provoking for sure.

> A father put his 3 year old daughter to bed, told her a story and
    listened to her prayers which ended by saying, “God bless Mommy, God
    bless Daddy, God bless Grandma and good-bye Grandpa
    > The father asked, ‘Why did you say good-bye Grandpa?’
    > The little girl said, “I don’t know daddy, it just seemed like the thing to do.”
    > The next day grandpa died. The father thought it was a strange coincidence.
    > A few months later the father put the girl to bed and listened to her prayers which went like this, “God bless Mommy, God Bless Daddy and good-bye Grandma.”
    The next day the grandmother died.
    > “Holy crap” thought the father, “this kid is in contact with the other side.”
    > Several weeks later when the girl was going to bed, the dad heard her
    > say, “God bless Mommy and good-bye Daddy.”

He practically went into shock. He couldn’t sleep all night and got up at the crack of dawn to go to his office. He was nervous as a cat all day, had lunch and watched the clock.

He figured if he could get by until midnight he would be okay. He felt safe in the office, so instead of going home at the end of the day he stayed there, drinking coffee, looking at his watch and jumping at every sound.

> Finally midnight arrived; he breathed a sigh of relief and went home.
    > When he got home his wife said, “I’ve never seen you work so late.
    What’s the matter?”
    > He said, “I don’t want to talk about it, I’ve just spent the worst day of my life.”
    > She said, “You think you had a bad day, you’ll never believe what happened to me. This morning my golf pro dropped dead in the middle of my lesson!”

44. February 16, 2013 at 4:53 pm

45. 232 whatisworking
    February 16, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Greetings TOD family

I just got off the phone from a town hall call sponsored by OFA – Organizing for Action.

Rahm Emmanuel and Austin Goolsbee where the featured speakers. The Director of OFA Jon Carson led the call.

Long story short – I am very encouraged by the level of support this group has and am confident that by working with them we can move the President’s agenda forward. We have deep support from the President and smart folks coming up with a strategy.

Rahm and Austin each spoke for about 10 minutes and then the rest of the call was Q and A.

My takeaways

The President’s job plan will emphasize infrastructure investment and Education, pre K – through college.

Advice for pressuring Congress – make it local.
    Don’t just call and say you want support for infrastructure, mention the crumbling bridges and potholes in your neighborhood.

List the preschools ill that will loose funding or public services that will be cut if the sequester is allowed to happen.

Pressure those elected officials that don’t vote our way using phone calls, twitter, Facebook and email

Thank elected officials who support our programs.They need to know we have their back at home.

Here are 2 things they have asked each of us to do

1. Call our elected officials when key votes are up, remember to mention local specific when making that call – I promise to finish the updating of the contact congress page this weekend

2. Write letters to the editor and again keep it local. I would suggest that we all share the letters we write – here on the blog to offer examples and inspiration to the group. Remember local media resources can be found at

Now my personal advice – JOIN THIS GROUP

Sign up to be a member of the OFA mailing list (even if you signed up before at barackobama.com this is different)

• February 16, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Fantastic news, Linda, and thank you for the report.

Yes We Can

February 16, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Thanks so much for this, Linda. I signed up to be on the call, then totally forgot about it and took my son on a lunch date :) I now have to make a date with my 18 yo son so that I can spend time with him. I remember when he was just small….and I was with him all the time. Time flew. I hope they’ll forgive me just this once :) Thanks for the recap!

46. 235 kasai
    February 16, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Sick of these hypocrites…Looking for anything to withhold Hagel’s confirmation..