Feb

Catching up with the Day

President Barack Obama sits on the famed Rosa Parks bus at the Henry Ford Museum following an event in Dearborn, Mich., April 18, 2012 (Photo by Pete Souza)

This will be a beautiful day……

Washington Post: President Obama will head to the Capitol next week for the dedication of a new statue honoring civil rights icon Rosa Parks, a White House official confirmed Wednesday.

The statue – which will be the first of an African American woman to be placed in the Capitol — will be unveiled next Wednesday at 11 a.m. in Statuary Hall, the exhibition space that sits just south of the Capitol Rotunda.

More here

File photo of Rosa Parks attending ceremony where she was presented Congressional Gold Medal on Capitol Hill

Thursday:

11:25: President Obama records radio interviews with Al Sharpton, Joe Madison and Yolanda Adams

12:30: VP Biden delivers remarks at a conference on gun violence at Western Connecticut State University

1:0: Jay Carney briefs the press

“I knew that I better keep my day job”:

Stephanie Cutter’s Organizing for Action call tonight on gun violence prevention

Vice President Joe Biden receives a bracelet from Paige Baitinger, wife of fallen St. Petersburg, Fla., police Sgt. Thomas Baitinger, following a Medal of Valor ceremony in the South Court Auditorium of the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, Feb. 20, 2013. The Vice President and Attorney General Eric Holder presented 18 recipients with the Medal of Valor, which is awarded to public safety officers who have exhibited exceptional courage, regardless of personal safety, in the attempt to save or protect others from harm. Baitinger accepted the award on behalf of her husband who was killed in the line of duty in 2011. (Official White House Photo by David Lienemann)

Secretary of State John Kerry made his first public remarks regarding U.S. foreign policy and diplomacy Wednesday to students and faculty at the University of Virginia – see the speech here

BobCesca.com: Obamacare is Working …. Projections for Medicare spending between 2011 and 2020 have fallen by $500 billion.

…. The Affordable Care Act is bringing down the cost of healthcare by challenging a culture of waste, not by throwing momma from the train.

See post here

Hopefully, the full interview will be on Rachael Ray’s site soon – meanwhile, here’s a clip:

WH.gov: First Lady Michelle Obama to Embark on National Tour Celebrating Third Anniversary of Let’s Move!

On February 27, 2013, First Lady Michelle Obama will kick off a two day nation-wide tour celebrating the third anniversary of Let’s Move!, her initiative to ensure that all our children grow up healthy and reach their full potential. The tour will showcase progress and announce new ways the country is coming together around the health of our children. Mrs. Obama will also travel to New York City this week to talk about the third anniversary of Let’s Move! on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Good Morning America and The Dr. Oz Show.

More here

Steve Benen: …… John Boehner has a 900-word op-ed in the Wall Street Journal … devoted almost entirely to a desperate attempt to avoid blame …. Reading this breathtakingly dishonest op-ed, I can’t help but wonder about the House Speaker’s frame of mind. Either Boehner actually believes the transparent nonsense he wrote, which would mean the Speaker is alarmingly ignorant about the basics of current events, he’s deliberately trying to deceive the public, counting on Americans to be foolish enough to buy demonstrable falsehoods.

Either way, Boehner’s mendacious piece is a profound disappointment, and beneath the dignity of his office. If the Speaker is still capable of shame, he should be embarrassed to peddle such nonsense.

See full post here – Benen shreds Boehner’s op-ed, point by point

Bloomberg: President Barack Obama enters the latest budget showdown with Congress with his highest job- approval rating in three years and public support for his economic message, while his Republican opponents’ popularity stands at a record low.

Fifty-five percent of Americans approve of Obama’s performance in office, his strongest level of support since September 2009, according to a Bloomberg National poll conducted Feb. 15-18. Only 35 percent of the country has a favorable view of the Republican Party, the lowest rating in a survey that began in September 2009. The party’s brand slipped six percentage points in the last six months, the poll shows.

More here

ThinkProgress: Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R), a former hospital CEO and ardent Obamacare critic, announced at a press conference Wednesday evening that he will accept Obamacare funding in order to expand his state’s Medicaid program for low-income Americans. The move comes after Scott secured a waiver to privatize the public insurance program.

The decision represents a marked departure from Scott’s previously held stance. Scott didn’t just initially oppose taking part in the expansion — which the Supreme Court ruled to be optional last summer — he knowingly cited wildly inaccurate figures to inflate the program’s cost to the state by 2500 percent in an effort to discredit it. He eventually dropped his estimate for the expansion by $23 billion in the face of intense media scrutiny…..

More here

Not being, well, a drones ‘fan’ (is anyone??), I’m half reluctant to post this – one civilian death is too many. But, still, an interesting take on the issue:

William Saletan (Slate): In Defense of Drones – They’re the worst form of war, except for all the others.

“UN: Drones killed more Afghan civilians in 2012,” says the Associated Press headline. The article begins: “The number of U.S. drone strikes in Afghanistan jumped 72 percent in 2012, killing at least 16 civilians in a sharp increase from the previous year.” The message seems clear: More Afghans are dying, because drones kill civilians.

Wrong. Drones kill fewer civilians, as a percentage of total fatalities, than any other military weapon. They’re the worst form of warfare in the history of the world, except for all the others.

Start with that U.N. report. Afghan civilian casualties caused by the United States and its allies didn’t go up last year. They fell 46 percent. Specifically, civilian casualties from “aerial attacks” fell 42 percent….

Jet planes. Machine guns. Bombing. Drones aren’t the problem. Bombs are the problem.

More here

Columbus Dispatch: President Barack Obama will deliver the commencement address at Ohio State University’s graduation ceremonies this year, the White House announced today.

The trip is his first scheduled trip to Ohio since he stopped in Columbus with singer Bruce Springsteen and rapper Jay-Z.

Commencement ceremonies are scheduled for noon on Sunday, May 5 at Ohio Stadium. This will be the largest class in university history and the first spring graduation on the semester system. About 12,000 students are expected to graduate that day.

More here

AP: The Obama administration is quietly considering urging the Supreme Court to overturn California’s ban on gay marriage, a step that would mark a political victory for advocates of same-sex unions and a deepening commitment by President Barack Obama to rights for gay couples.

Obama raised expectations among opponents of the Proposition 8 ban when he declared in last month’s inaugural address that gays and lesbians must be “treated like anyone else under the law.” The administration has until Feb. 28 to intervene in the case by filing a “friend of the court” brief.

More here

@ImAngelaBassett

131 Responses to “Catching up with the Day”

1. 1 carolmaewy
    February 20, 2013 at 10:49 pm

¿♭♮♯♫♪? ¡♭♮♯♫♪! “How-w-w-DEE-E-E-E! I’m jes’ so proud to be here!” ¿♭♮♯♫♪? ¡♭♮♯♫♪!

February 20, 2013 at 10:49 pm

:???:

3. February 20, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Chipsticks misssed you all day! Cant wait to watch all the videos… Congrats Carolmaewy #1

• 14 carolmaewy
      February 20, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Thanks LP. There are so many videos. I’m so glad she posted the Stephanie Cutter interview. I couldn’t get on.

• February 20, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I have been swamped w/ classes last 2 days, had a big exam and paper due today. Finished!!!!! Free until Sunday, then another paper due Mon morning. But I’m going to watch half the videos tonight, the rest tomorrow. I just finished the Cutter call….next one?

4. February 20, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Evening all. Lots of bedtime reading.

5. 17 yardarm756
    February 20, 2013 at 10:52 pm

At last!

6. 18 Betsy
    February 20, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Congrats on first Carolmaewy. What a great round up Chips!!

7. February 20, 2013 at 10:55 pm

8. 28 yardarm756
    February 20, 2013 at 11:02 pm

My late night contribution.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MONEY OF THOSE

WHO DIED BEFORE THEY COLLECTED A SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK!!!

KEEP PASSING THIS AROUND UNTIL EVERY ONE HAS HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO READ IT… THIS IS SURE SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT!!!!

THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH THE GOVERNMENT’S CALCULATION OF AVAILABLE SOCIAL SECURITY IS THEY FORGOT TO FIGURE IN THE PEOPLE WHO DIED BEFORE THEY EVER COLLECTED A SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK!!!
    WHERE DID THAT MONEY GO?

Remember, not only did you and I contribute to Social Security but your employer did, too. It totaled 15% of your income before taxes. If you averaged only $30K over your working life, that’s close to $220,500. Read that again. Did you see where the Government paid in one single penny? We are talking about the money you and your employer put in a Government bank to insure you and I that we would have a retirement check from the money we put in, not the Government. Now they are calling the money we put in an entitlement when we reach the age to take it back. If you calculate the future invested value of $4,500 per year (yours & your employer’s contribution) at a simple 5% interest (less than what the govt. pays on the money that it borrows), after 49 years of working you’d have $892,919.98.

If you took out only 3% per year, you’d receive $26,787.60 per year and it would last better than 30 years (until you’re 95 if you retire at age 65) and that’s with no interest paid on that final amount on deposit! If you bought an annuity and it paid 4% per year, you’d have a lifetime income of $2,976.40 per month.

Another thing with me…. I have two deceased husbands who died in their 50’s, (one was 51 and the other one was 59 before one percent of their social security could be drawn. I worked all my life and am drawing 100% on my own social security). Their S.S. money will never have one cent drawn from what they paid into S.S all their lives.

THE FOLKS IN WASHINGTON HAVE PULLED OFF A BIGGER PONZI SCHEME THAN BERNIE MADOFF EVER DID.

Entitlement my foot, I paid cash for my social security insurance! Just because they borrowed the money for other government spending, doesn’t make my benefits some kind of charity or handout!!

Remember Congressional benefits? — free healthcare, outrageous retirement packages, 67 paid holidays, three weeks paid vacation, unlimited paid sick days. Now that’s welfare, and they have the nerve to call my social security retirement payments entitlements?

We’re “broke” and we can’t help our own seniors, Veterans, Orphans, or Homeless. Yet in the last few months we have provided aid to Haiti, Chile and Turkey. And now Pakistan……home of bin Laden. Literally, BILLIONS of DOLLARS!!!

Our retired seniors living on a ‘fixed S.S. income’ receive no additional federal aid nor do they get any financial breaks, while our government and religious organizations pour hundreds of billions of $$$ and tons of food to foreign countries!

They call Social Security and Medicare an entitlement even though most of us have been paying for it all our working lives, and now, when it’s time for us to collect, the government is running out of money. Why did the government borrow from it in the first place? It was supposed to be in a locked box, not part of the general fund.

Sad isn’t it?

• 29 carolmaewy
      February 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Thanks for posting yardarm. You must have had your spinach today.

• February 20, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Thank you, Ive been trying to explain this for awhile, perhap Bob can or you can get it onto tweeter, and I for sure think you need to post it to the Whtie House. This is simple, clear and easy to read and EVERY US CITIZEN should read and reflect on your above story. Thanks again.

• February 20, 2013 at 11:46 pm

the other part I ment to mention is….those who work here in the US and are paid above the counter, but are using fake SS cards.
        I know tt when I owned my Restaurant, I had kitchen staff who I was fairly sure were using fake SS cards. I collected all taxes plus ss and paid my share of ss on the wages. Not all undoc workers in the US WORK UNDER THE TABLE. btw they were great workers, and each and everyone would have given me there last ounce of effort if needed. Miss those wonderful people.

• 35 yardarm756
        February 21, 2013 at 12:03 am

Unfortunately I don’t have the skill set to put this in twitter. Maybe Bobfr does.

• 36 HZ
          February 21, 2013 at 12:09 am

I hope Bobfr can, Yardarm. This is great. Thank you for writing it for all to see. HZ

• 37 yardarm756
            February 21, 2013 at 12:41 am

Glad you liked it. It’s the crazy relative that no one talks about.

• February 21, 2013 at 1:21 am

Yardarm, this was excellent baseline information for us all. I’ve never had a clear picture
              of the economics of social security . . . . nor the particulars of my personal input. I posted
              the whole thing on FaceBook, and i think I’ll re-post it several times, over the next weeks.
              It’s a fine document. Let the peoples w.a.k.e. u.p.!!! Now is the opportunity. And thank
              you PBO for being a President where we might actually be inspired about dealing with
              the crazy frigging relative that no one talks about. xoxoxo great contribution, yardarm. xoxo

9. February 20, 2013 at 11:03 pm

• 41 utaustinliberal
      February 20, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Good article thanks; but wow the guy had to drone on as though the world was coming to an end instead of just revealing that it meant more than 3M people would have access to healthcare and therefore the path to universal healthcare is just above the horizon and that’s a wonderful thing for everyone.

10. February 20, 2013 at 11:10 pm

• February 20, 2013 at 11:18 pm

This is what those of us here knew in August 2011 ….

“In 2011, when the terms of the sequester were being hashed out—its purpose was, you’ll recall, to be so unthinkably terrible that Congress would agree to a deal rather than let it bite—Democrats wanted to include automatic tax increases (because what could be more terrible to a Republican than tax increases?). Republicans said no way. So the all-cuts sequester wound up being tilted in a way that was much worse for Republicans than it was for Democrats, both because Democrats’ cherished entitlement programs were largely spared the axe and also because the cuts to the military that Republicans now want to undo were especially deep**.”

And, that is why we all were deriding Boehner for his ‘I got 98% of what I wanted.’ We knew the dude could only believe that if he had placed all his chips on a Republican candidate (even then it was obvious it would be #BainMitt) winning on 6 Nov 2012. That was a very STUPID bet and, over the next few days, the guy is going to begin to suffer, and will continue suffering the remainder of his ignominious life, the consequences of that STUPID bet.

#TrustBarack …. because you NEVER want to be against him ….

• 46 utaustinliberal
      February 20, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Hubris will always lead to a hilarious facepalm.

11. February 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Thank you for yet another fine post, Chips!!

#ProsperNotSequester

12. February 20, 2013 at 11:12 pm

#ProsperNotSequester

Yes We Can

• 50 COS
      February 20, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Very respectful interview.

• 51 LDS
      February 20, 2013 at 11:58 pm

So this is what a REAL REPORTER looks and sounds like! It has been so long. What a breathe of fresh air. A real interview and interviewer. He asked follow up questions pertaining to the SOTU speech and most important of all (drum roll, please)
      He allowed the President of the United States, the mot powerful man in the world, finish his answers! Damn it!

They were professional, facts presented, respectful, polite, fun and no hidden agenda.
      Thank you, Mr. President for leading and caring for the American people just when we needed you the most. Forever grateful for your hard work and dedication in saving us from those clowns who are getting a paycheck right now for doing absolutely nothing!

Dudette, I left you a request on the last post. If you are here, some Donnie Hathaway would be nice right about here.
      Perhaps, “Some Day We Will All Be Free”
      Thank you, Ms. Chips for a fruitful day.

• February 21, 2013 at 1:43 am

13. February 20, 2013 at 11:19 pm

God, I’ve been waiting for a new thread. A little dance music with a serious political message.

14. 77 anniebella
    February 20, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Good night everyone.

• 78 HZ
      February 20, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Good Nite Chips and my TOD Family. This has been a lovely day. So happy to see people respecting our president in their interviews. So refreshing. I do believe that POB and team will be do more of these. If they want an interview with the President of the United States, they better start giving him some respect and asking decent questions to inform the people.

POB is not playing with these disrespectful ones at all. He has too much to get done and it is imperative that he does it with those who want to do their jobs with decency, truthfulness, and respectfulness to him. He is tired of the crap. He has a presidency to complete, and he will do it with grace and great character.

Thanks Chips for making our haven such a beautiful place to come to each day. Love you my special angel(((((( Chips Hugs)))))))))HZ

Has anyone seen Lisa lately? I have not seen Lisa for awhile. I hope everything is okay. Also Tnmtgirl. and Joan, and Fred. (((( LU ))))

• 79 yardarm756
      February 21, 2013 at 12:50 am

Me to I don’t want to get in the middle of the mess above.

15. February 20, 2013 at 11:30 pm

16. February 20, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Very important for those who have not read the progress in protecting our troops abroad

17. February 20, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Since I’m in a philosophical mood..

February 20, 2013 at 11:59 pm

19. 85 HZ
    February 21, 2013 at 12:00 am

I love the photo posted at the top of POB sitting in Rosa Parks seat on the bus. That is a very special photo for me in so many ways. However, I especially love it because it was my photo for my fundraising page for his 2012 re-election here. Beautiful history in so many ways. Thanks again, Chips. Love you so.HZ

20. February 21, 2013 at 12:02 am

I think I am on the night shift tonight and I must say I especially enjoy the fact that republicans ratings is in the toilet where it belongs. Hell yes my President approval ratings is sky high because persons are beginning to realize that they have a leader that is ineterested in their well being and not just for the rich but those of us in the the middle and the bottom

21. February 21, 2013 at 12:05 am

I saw a snippet of a Latino woman (Maria Teresa Kumar) on MSNBC (the tail end of the Ed Show) praising McCain for coming out and dispelling the myths about immigration – and I couldn’t help but wonder: Wasn’t he one of the ones spreading those very same myths in 2010? Didn’t he pander to the same tea party rabid crazies who were demanding that the “dang fence” be completed, and are now crying that the only way to keep immigrants from crossing the border is to arm the border patrols? Why should he be praised for doing the right thing now when he was very happy doing the wrong thing before? This is when I wonder how long it will take for some people to run to embrace the Republican party once they get the immigration reform done, which Rubio and his GOP cohorts so desperately want the President to keep away from so they can claim 100% of the credit for passing it.

• 88 utaustinliberal
      February 21, 2013 at 12:12 am

CLAP…….CLAP…….CLAP Theo. Fantastic comment. I will never praise McCain for “standing up” to the bigots in his party. He made his bed and now he has to lie in it. He embraced racism, hatred, and prejudice to win a race in 2010 and now I’m supposed to praise him just because he constructed a sentence that sounded right? When a person has shown you time and time again who they are, believe them.

February 21, 2013 at 12:51 am

If Maria Teresa Kumar is who I think she is, she seems like a lovely, sweet person whom I could just see giving a little nod when something good happens, thinking it would spur the do-gooder to do more good. Pres. Obama has similar traits. (In the case of that godawful McCain, it won’t work, ever, but that’s my take on why she gave him the nod.) But I also believe she is a Democrat, through and through, and a big PBO supporter, and after what she’s seen, ain’t no way I could ever see her joining the Republicans!

• 91 theo67
        February 21, 2013 at 12:59 am

Thanks for the sane words, Jacq. She just raised my hackles up because the last few times I’ve seen her talking about immigration, she’s had a few too many words of praise for Republicans. I’ll give her a chance.

February 21, 2013 at 1:00 am

You may be right, of course, but that’s my going-in take. Yes, we should all watch to see how it goes!

• 93 cos
      February 21, 2013 at 7:26 am

I saw the entire clip and it was faint praise.

22. 94 LDS
    February 21, 2013 at 12:05 am

Hey Dudette, I found it! Still learning how to post it.
    You are my favorite disc jockey late at night.
    Sweet sleep everyone.

• 95 Dudette
      February 21, 2013 at 3:02 am

Sorry I missed that LDS. I’ve been in and out of consciousness tonight. Gotta get a good night’s sleep one of these days. :-)

Here it is…

Peace & blessings!

• 96 LDS
        February 21, 2013 at 9:55 am

Thank you!
        What a beautiful song. One day will be free of that Tea KKK Party and the Repug elephant they rode in on.
        Being patient will get us there.

23. February 21, 2013 at 12:08 am

All right, it’s time to watch BBC World and then do a bit of Proust reading. See everyone tomorrow!

(And UT? Trust me, in 20 years you’ll post some of the favorite music of your youth, and some young whipper snapper will say “God, you listened to THAT?!” It.Will.Happen. ;-) )

24. February 21, 2013 at 12:12 am

“Jackson Jr. reminded the world of being on third base, and thinking you hit a triple”

• 102 utaustinliberal
      February 21, 2013 at 12:17 am

You might want to know that the NY Daily News is a rightwing rag that gives the NY Post a run for its money in anti-Obama and anti-Democratic news. They are pro-GOP 99.9% of the time.

The NY Daily News is the disgusting rag that started the rumor that Chuck Hagel spoke to a terrorist group called “Friends of Hamas.” Which led to Hagel’s patriotism and character being dragged through the mud. The NY Daily News confessed today and seemed to gloat about it.

Why couldn’t they just write a story about Jesse Jackson Jr. without pulling Pres. Obama in? What does he have to do with the fact that Jackson brought his downfall by himself?

• February 21, 2013 at 12:28 am

Wasnt aware. I follow Jim Warren, who used to be Chief NBC scrib in Chicago and the most plugged in reporter to the Obama crew, he just recently moved to this publication. I figured they were dogging JR. for being born w/ a silver spoon the opposite of PBO. But I wont bother w/ NYDAILY anymore, thanks.

25. February 21, 2013 at 12:32 am

This has links to the new Bloomberg poll PBO 54%/40 also, looks like USATODAY dumped Gallup for PEW probably front page tommorow.

26. 107 LDS
    February 21, 2013 at 12:41 am

I live in NY and you could not give me either of those dirt bag newspaper free. I would not line the bird cage with either if I had a bird.
    They are Fox News on print. Stay away from them if you ever visit NY.

27. 109 99ts
    February 21, 2013 at 12:56 am

Hello night owls – I spent the afternoon with grandbabe – and what a joy she is – just as well cause our markets tanked today – 2 % down – not a good sign.

Meanwhile – what an interview – intelligent questions – intelligent answers – and PBO still has his day job for almost 4 more years.

28. 110 Dudette
    February 21, 2013 at 1:06 am

Speaking of “Inspirational” : -)
    Dragging this over from the end of the previous thread (sorry for the repeat)
    —————–

African American History/ Aesha Ash

Aesha Ash was born in Rochester, New York, and started dance at the age of five. At 13 years old she enrolled at the School of American Ballet in New York City. She joined the New York City Ballet at the age of 18, where she remained for eight years. Ms. Ash then joined the legendary Bejart Ballet, in Switzerland as a soloist. After enjoying success in Europe, Ms. Ash returned to the United States in 2005 and joined Alonzo King’s Lines Ballet. Since June 2007, Ms. Ash has been a freelance guest artist.

29. 111 99ts
    February 21, 2013 at 2:23 am

Next to TOD – the best read of the day has to be Pierce

To summarize

A post about – Scott Walker, the goggle-eyed homunculus hired by Koch Industries to run their midwest subsidiary formerly known as the state of Wisconsin – And then – The lost children at Breitbart’s Marble Coffin-Post-Intelligencer

your daily Pope
    North Carolina takes a turn as Mississippi
    For Which The Acronym WTF Was Invented
    How McCarthyism Is Not McCarthyism Except When It Is – Senator Cruz explained

And no Pierce day is complete without
    Things In Politico That Make Me Want To Guzzle Antifreeze, Part The Infinity

30. 112 Dudette
    February 21, 2013 at 2:44 am

February 21, 2013 at 5:18 am

Well, chilean koyle royale cab sauv 2009 + medium spicy (wimps) indian lunch was a big hit with the kenyans today.

Tomorrow, chauteau de fontenille 2009 bordeaux with typical indian spicy fish curry + fish fry

Day after, south african Obikwa 2012 cab sauv with chicken + mutton curry + spicy prawns

I wonder if this wine & dine is more of a test for me than for them.

32. 115 prettyfoot58
    February 21, 2013 at 6:29 am

33. 116 Jovie
    February 21, 2013 at 7:16 am

Chris Christie, Christie, Christie, Christie, Christie…
    MSNBC Totally pushing him down our throats.
    The new Huntsman?

• February 21, 2013 at 8:20 am

That’s why he should be afraid – very afraid. Any Republican the MSM tries to push down our throats FAILS.

Sarah Palin – check
      Bobby Jindal – check
      Jon Huntsman – check
      Paul Ryan – check
      Rick Perry – check
      Michele Bachmann – check
      Marco Rubio – check

• 118 amk for obama
        February 21, 2013 at 8:38 am

Heh, you left out the rwnj obama – “herb” cain – check

February 21, 2013 at 8:43 am

Ah..right. Although MSM didn’t push him as much as they did the others. FOX pushed him, but not the rest of the MSM. As soon as they realized he could be a REAL threat to Romney, they found a way to derail him.

34. February 21, 2013 at 7:41 am

Republicans thought they could intimidate the President into caving in to their will.  They were misled when the President attempted to reach across the aisle to try to reach bi-partisan agreements.  Now they are in disarray because things aren’t falling into place the way they wanted them to, and they are wondering why the President did not learn the lessons he was supposed to learn during his first term.

Unfortunately for them, the President DID learn lessons.  It just wasn’t the lessons THEY wanted him to learn.  And he is going about his second term on HIS terms; not theirs.

Another conclusion made from the first term was that the President could not depend on Democrats to convey his message.  There were many accomplishments that occurred during the first term and I often wondered why our so called Democratic leadership was being silent.  Thus, the President has decided to be his own messenger and he is talking directly to the people.

…and I am loving it! :-D

35. 121 Jovie
    February 21, 2013 at 7:55 am

Most People here in the Morning are lurkers, some are on twitter.
    Also, their are the people who have 2 or 3 Computers and are refreshing their Computers in order to be FIRST.
    Thus, Rise and Shine Lottery winners, The FIRST individuals should win Money?

36. 124 sherijr
    February 21, 2013 at 8:24 am

I really enjoyed that POTUS interview with ABC-SF Dan Ashley.. I too followed him (like Dudette) and he immediately followed back. I appreciated (in the interview) his questions.. allowing POTUS to actually answer… interjecting humor, and giving respect to the President of the US. I, like others here- sent him a thank you tweet. I just want news to be news- informative, not sensational… and always always truthful. I hope to see more of Dan Ashley- and more like him.

37. 125 Linda
    February 21, 2013 at 8:30 am

3:50 PM on Tuesday …a man that had just purshed a gun takes a picutre of his new 9mm on his lap and sends it out on twitter

4:51 PM sends out another saying he is taking the “bad boy ” to the shooting range.

8:59 PM takes another picture of himself lying in an ambulance because he shot himself in the foot.

February 21, 2013 at 8:33 am

February 21, 2013 at 8:49 am

February 21, 2013 at 8:57 am

A French minister has responded angrily to the boss of US tyremaker Titan who said he would have to be “stupid” to invest in the country.

Maurice Taylor made the claims in a letter to France’s minister for industrial recovery, Arnaud Montebourg.

On Thursday, Mr Montebourg replied that Mr Taylor’s “extreme” comments showed a “perfect ignorance of what our country is”.

He added that 20,000 foreign firms are in France, employing 2 million people.

Mr Taylor – a former candidate for the Republican presidential nomination in 1996 – was replying to a request for Titan to consider investing in a loss-making Goodyear plant in Amiens, north France.

“I have visited that factory a couple of times. The French workforce gets paid high wages but only works three hours,” Mr Taylor said in the letter, dated 8 February, and published by French business daily Les Echos on Wednesday.

///

In his response, Mr Montebourg said: “May I point out that Titan, the company you lead, is 20 times smaller than Michelin, our French leader of international influence, and 35 times less profitable?”

The minister added that 4,200 subsidiaries of US firms employed more than 500,000 people in France and that some firms had been around since 1842.

He went on to praise the efforts of young US soldiers in World War II and the current efforts of President Barack Obama to stop deindustrialisation in the US.

February 21, 2013 at 8:58 am

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/02/21/17042895-americans-arent-buying-what-gop-is-selling And it’s OUR responsibility to write our reps and MAKE SURE they know how we feel! Make it pointed, fact based and obvious to a 2 year old…because that’s all they may understand. Maybe.

RSS OFA