Feb

Rise and Shine

A year ago: “Egged on by B.B. King, at right, the President joins in singing ‘Sweet Home Chicago’ during the ‘In Performance at the White House: Red, White and Blues’ concert in the East Room. Participants include, from left: Troy ‘Trombone Shorty’ Andrews, Jeff Beck, Derek Trucks, B.B. King, and Gary Clark, Jr.” Feb. 21, 2012 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Today:

11:25: President Obama records radio interviews with Al Sharpton, Joe Madison and Yolanda Adams

12:30: VP Biden delivers remarks at a conference on gun violence at Western Connecticut State University

1:0: Jay Carney briefs the press

Steve Benen: A new Bloomberg National Poll shows President Obama’s approval rating reaching a three-year high and public approval of Republicans reaching a three-year low. The same poll found that a plurality of Americans blame the congressional GOP, not Democrats, for “what’s wrong in Washington.”

And an interesting twist, the Bloomberg poll results aren’t the worst polling results for Republicans this morning. That prize goes to a new USA Today/Pew Research Center Poll, which suggests Americans just aren’t buying what Republicans are selling…..

Full post here

In case you missed the link in the previous post, read Steve Benen shredding Boehner’s op-ed, point by point, here

USA Today: President Obama’s new grass-roots advocacy group will target more than a dozen members of Congress with online ads this week for failing to voice support for his plan to expand background checks to all gun buyers….

The advertising push is part of a national day of action planned Friday by Obama’s backers to rally support for background checks. It will mark the first large-scale test of Organizing for Action’s ability to mobilize the president’s army of 2.2 million campaign volunteers to press for legislative change.

More here

Truly, he’s the host with the most – Bo with Debi Chard of Live5 (Charleston) yesterday:

You can see the Live5 interview here – and KITV, KFOR, WCVB and CBS Baltimore (thank you Lovely Plains for all the links)

TPM: Lost in the political fight between President Obama and Marco Rubio, is that the White House’s leaked bill is the first new proposal from anyone involved in negotiations that actually specifies its path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.

Given that the details of legalization are one of the most contentious issues in the process, it’s worth taking a look at what they came up with. Here are some of the highlights from the section detailing the new path to citizenship, which are part of a broader draft that also includes border security provisions and new restrictions on employers to prevent them from hiring undocumented workers.

More here

Charles Pierce: Legend!

Charles Pierce: Things In Politico That Make Me Want To Guzzle Antifreeze, Part The Infinity

Good Christ, what does it take? A silver fking bullet?

What will it possibly take to get our courtier press to stop taking seriously the latest pronouncement from the Sinai of his own ego emitted by N. Leroy Gingrich, Definer of Civilization’s Rules And Leader (perhaps) Of The Civilizing Forces? When will they all collapse from the effort it takes to keep his Macy Parade-caliber megalomania aloft?

See here

ThinkProgress: It’s been nearly a year since George Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon Martin, an unarmed 17-year-old on his way back to his father’s townhouse. In the weeks following the shooting, the story captured the nation’s attention, culminating with Zimmerman being charged with second-degree murder last April.

But as the story has receded from the headlines, the legal case has plodded along and the trial is likely to be completed this summer. Here’s what you may have missed….

See here

Thanks PrettyFoot

I howled:

Three years ago:

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama dance together during the Governors Ball in the East Room of the White House, Feb. 21, 2010. (Photo by Pete Souza)

MooOOOooOOOoorning!

240 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 cookemom
    February 21, 2013 at 8:53 am

Howdy ho O’s!!!!! What a wonderful great getting up day again on TOD doncha know!?!?! Poor Bonehead, polls are showing that Americans, including Republicans favors PBO over Congress in the handling of the three core issues of the day; sequester, gun control, and immigration. Less than 1/3 would blame PBO for sequester, more than 1/2 would blame the Pubs. It makes you wonder why he wanted to be Speaker another term. Is there a perk in that job, that’s just too good to refuse?

PS: Al Sharpton will interview PBO today. The interview will also air today on his Keeping It Real radio program. Hmmm, the icing out of the WHPC and national MSM continues. He ain’t scurred no press.

2. 9 ranman11
    February 21, 2013 at 8:54 am

Good morning Ms. Chips and TOD family. I hope everyone have a glorious day today. Congrats cookemom on being first this lovely Thursday Morning.

3. 11 Allison
    February 21, 2013 at 8:54 am

GM! Congrats Cookemom

4. February 21, 2013 at 8:57 am

Good morning TOD. All is well, I hope.

February 21, 2013 at 8:58 am

G’morning Chips, TOD lurkers, etc and congrats cookemom on #1 :)

6. February 21, 2013 at 8:58 am

Good Morning, Everyone :)

February 21, 2013 at 9:00 am

I love it when Pres. Obama does interviews with Rev. Al (he gets to discuss real issues in depth), invites him to the white house for public and private meetings, gave him VIP reception at both inaugurations. It means I get to hear Cornel West and Tavis Smiley whine in 3…2…1 and that always bring forth a sweet, sweet, sweet chuckle.

February 21, 2013 at 9:03 am

I also can’t help but notice that Rev Al is the only MSNBC host he does interviews with. Kinda tells me something about the others – something I always felt about them.

• 19 Lovepolitics2008
        February 21, 2013 at 10:08 am

I think Martin Bashir also deserves an interview with the President. He’s serious, does his research, and bases his commentary on facts.

• 21 Nena20409
        February 21, 2013 at 11:11 am

POTUS has done interviews with Dr. Maddow, Tweety, Olbermann……Rachel before he won in 2008. The other 2-3 times, off the record. Tweety before he became POTUS and a couple times after, but off the record. Olbermann after and off the record.

February 21, 2013 at 11:17 am

I’m referring to interviews he’s done since he became Pres and on the record.

You’re right about Joke and Mika – but I think that was right before the election to shut them the hell up. As he did with Jon Stewart and a few others.

When he wants to get legislation passed (not just running for an election), he tends to grants interviews to more serious journalists/reporters/media persons.

• 24 Nena20409
        February 21, 2013 at 11:12 am

Also, in Oct 2012….Mourning Joke and Mika interviewed the POTUS in ME or NH.

February 21, 2013 at 9:01 am

All the local News folks seemed absolutely ADORE Bo. Of course we know they were more than thrilled to be in the Presence of PBO :)

9. 28 99ts
    February 21, 2013 at 9:01 am

Hello all – thank you Miss Chips – as usual – all the good news. Loved that interview on the last thread – some folks ask good questions and listen to the answers. So glad PBO still has his “day job”

wtg cookemom – you are the morning lady.

February 21, 2013 at 9:01 am

Fiiinally. Sheesh. wimmin find great pleasure in making poor men wait.

///

fywp ate my previous post in the last thread. How can an entire post etherize beats me.

wine feedback.

Today’s lunch – Koyle Royale 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon + mildly spicy (for wimps) Indian veg lunch was a big hit. The kenyans just loved it.

Tomorrow – Chateau De Fontenille 2009 + Typically indian spicy fish curry + Fish Fry

Day after – South African ObiKwa 2012 Cab Sauv + Spicy Chicken curry + Mutton curry + Spicy Prawns

I think this wine & dine is more of a test for me than for the kenyans.

None of my indian shops carried calif reds. Wonder why. :shock: :shock: :shock:

• February 21, 2013 at 9:04 am

I found it in spam a while ago Amk!!! There must be an offensive word in there somewhere!

• 33 amk for obama
        February 21, 2013 at 9:05 am

wine is an “offensive” word ? really ?

figgers. wth irish know about wines?

• 34 carolmaewy
          February 21, 2013 at 12:30 pm

If Bo could talk in a human voice, would he say what you do? He’d be as funny as you, but I think he likes to snuggle more. I’d be happy with plum wine. Would like great links to buy organic on inter webs. There is a great place that sells wine on internetz and donates profits to fury friends. But no plum. :( Enjoy your guests and and the fine wine amk.

February 21, 2013 at 9:06 am

I can smell all that curry all the way over here!

February 21, 2013 at 9:04 am

Happy Thursday, TOD! Congrats, cookemom….my fingers were all tied up and I was fumbling around my keyboard this morning….glad I managed to get here:) By the way, we STILL have snow on the ground in Phoenix this morning! What are the chances we could get a “snow day” and I wouldn’t have to go to work today ??:) Zip, I’m sure.

12. 46 cookemom
    February 21, 2013 at 9:06 am

Big snow headed my way today. The forecast says it starts later today and continues thru tomorrow night. I’m off to warn my little trail buddies on the running path to take cover. Then I gotta stock up on some munchies to last until early next week, when it’s expected to warm up a tad. See ya’s later TODdies!

February 21, 2013 at 9:08 am

Don’t forget the cheesy puffs!!

• 54 japa21
      February 21, 2013 at 9:13 am

cookemom, 3-5 inches is not a big snow. It just seems that way to us here because we have seen so little this year.

• February 21, 2013 at 9:58 am

Same forcast for Iowa today – up to 9 inches of snow and high winds of course. Weather man moved to more tonight now – so wonderful snow blowing before heading out to work tomorrow morning. Shouldn’t complain too much – we have only had to use our snow blowers twice this winter here anyways. Been a very mild and dry winter for Iowa.

February 21, 2013 at 9:08 am

14. February 21, 2013 at 9:12 am

February 21, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Chips – Mornin’ – I love your “year ago today” series. Another brilliant move!

• February 21, 2013 at 12:31 pm

You’re very kind, J – but, confession: I only started it because, one morning, I couldn’t find any topical/current pic I could use at the top of Rise and Shine! So, a year ago (or more) was born! :-)

February 21, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Yes, love your honesty, but everything you do looks like an original thought to the rest of us, like me, who wake up in the morning without one, so I still give ya the credit! Still a brilliant move. Tie a bow on it and take a bow.

• 65 LDS
          February 21, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Dear Chips, I just this “year ago today”, also. You started something real good. It makes me smile and reflect on what a difference a year makes. This one keeps me smiling b/c check out Mr. B. B. King’s and the rest of the guys on stage adoring excitement of their President joining in. I tell you, these last four years have been a real awakening, eye opener, soul searching, heart felt journey for me. The blatant obstructions and disrespect of the Repugs are revealing who they really are and their character core base(which is zero to none).

These next four years are up to us to shape our future and future gnenerations to come.
          Year ago today is sad and sweet. Sweet because our President accomplished so much with all the destructive road blocks purposely setup to make him fail. And sad because just think how far along we as a people and this country would be, ifthese racist fools had for once put aside their ingrained fears for the sake of “their country” they want to take back. These hypocrites will self-destruct . And they have themselves to blame. Our President has forewarned them over and over. They have refused to accept the olive branch numerous times.
          Now, their season is over.

February 21, 2013 at 9:13 am

February 21, 2013 at 9:21 am

HAHAHAHAHA…My goodness..someone has a lot of time on his/her hands….

Amk did you paint the elephants nails?

• 69 amk for obama
        February 21, 2013 at 9:25 am

I love ele’s. Call them gentle giants and they’re proof that being a 100% vegan works.

We indians (thais/srilankans) worship them as gods and our family has our own temple for him inside my campus.

February 21, 2013 at 9:27 am

That’s why they shouldn’t be used to symbolize the GOP here in the US. The poison (Skull & bones) sign should be used to symbolize the GOP.

February 21, 2013 at 9:16 am

Anyone have a link and time for Pres. Obama’s interview with Rev. Al when it occurs?

February 21, 2013 at 9:18 am

Ok….here’s a link and time for Rev. Al’s interview with Pres. Obama.

February 21, 2013 at 9:20 am

Oops: Top Republican Senator Inadvertently Embraces Roe v. Wade The stupid hurts.

February 21, 2013 at 9:25 am

February 21, 2013 at 9:31 am

hopefruit2, Don’t tell Rubio that.

• 79 jackiegrumbacher
      February 21, 2013 at 9:44 am

Hf, our VERY big challenge is to ensure that Hispanics apply that support of PBO to other Democrats. All democrats would be wise to step up loud and frequent in support of immigration reform that includes a path to citizenship. And they need to pick up the president’s call for voting reform. The Latinos I talk to are still smarting from all the voter suppression tactics in 2012. The blame for this is falling squarely on Repub shoulders. So..to all Dems, make it loud, say it often and back progressive legislation on immigration and voting reform. Also the Latino community would be greatly helped by pre K schooling.

February 21, 2013 at 9:47 am

Well-said jackie. Excellent points – these DEMS ought to have learned a lesson from 2010. If you run away from PBO and go on TV to oppose instead of support him, you will reap the negative consequences.

• 81 57andfemale
      February 21, 2013 at 1:42 pm

My impression is that Repubs are actually making it worse for themselves, even though I think we’ll get some immigration reform. They only care about the votes, and they’re ignoring the polls from 2012 that showed (I know you’ll all be shocked by this) Hispanics are interested in other things in addition to immigration: jobs, education and health care. THAT’s why they’re staying Dem. And if Republicans draw their line at letting them work here but not letting them become citizens and voting here, they prove yet again what jackasses they are.

Win-win.

20. February 21, 2013 at 9:27 am

LOL!! I think this kid is moving in.

21. 92 anniebella
    February 21, 2013 at 9:28 am

In that pictures where POTUS and FLOTUS is dancing looking cool, that last picture were that woman is standing behind FOTUS looking mean as mean can be, did anyone ever fine out who she was. She messes up the picture. I think that was the Governor’s Ball, so she must be some Governor’s wife. Anyway FLOTUS said Wednesday on Rachel Ray show that they would be hosting this year Governor’s Ball Sunday night., so she would have to see the Oscars on DVR.

February 21, 2013 at 9:33 am

chips, now I know why your kitty went awol.

• February 21, 2013 at 9:37 am

First: :lol:

Then: :cry:

• 95 amk for obama
        February 21, 2013 at 9:47 am

Oh, She’ll be back. (insert fingers crossed jpeg)

Ours didn’t. Lied to my daughter 3 years ago that our vicky ran away while in reality she was a hit n run victim. wifey unit and I had to bury her in secret. Till date, daughter believes she ran way. That was first and last cat ever. Can’t stand daughter moping around for months. Her desktop is this.

• February 21, 2013 at 9:55 am

I hope your daughter never reads the blog!!! :lol: Not looking good for my lady, it’s two weeks now :-(

• 97 amk for obama
            February 21, 2013 at 10:02 am

She hates ‘puters. Uses it only to check her exam results. (And it’s a high priced toshiba too.)

Son, otoh, lives on ‘puter, nothing but ‘puter. Gotta warn that blighter. He knows all my seekrits.

Don’t lose hope. She’ll turn up. Did you get rid of that tyrant ? Feeding him ain’t gonna help, you know ?

• February 21, 2013 at 10:13 am

“He knows all my seekrits.” :lol:

I wasn’t too worried in the first week, but definitely getting worried now – she hardly ever left the garden before, so I’m not sure how she’ll cope with being out and about. I just hope someone’s feeding her and she’s okay, and will come home eventually.

The tyrant doesn’t appear too often now, I’m not feeding him at all so hopefully he’ll give up and stay away for good.

February 21, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Chips – If it puts another picture in your mind, when I was about 10 years old, we had a cat who “ran away.” Quite a while later, he showed up with his wife cat and one baby kitten cat, sat in front of our house under the car so he could show them off, and then walked off into the sunset with them. I kid you not – one of the sweetest things. So look under the car, every now and then. There’s an endless supply of cats.

February 21, 2013 at 9:34 am

24. 104 Linda
    February 21, 2013 at 9:35 am

The AZ snow pictures are great…. I love the snowmen….# 58 looks like John McBitter

25. February 21, 2013 at 9:35 am

Goooood morning you lot. Standby for colors!

• February 21, 2013 at 9:39 am

Moooooooorning Yardarm! That’s weird – when I first saw your video (I’m looking at comments in the ‘admin’ section of the blog) it showed up as the Michelle/Big Bird video, now it’s the Morning Colors one. So strange!

• 107 yardarm756
        February 21, 2013 at 9:52 am

Morning Admiral. WordPress is fouled-up. It forced me to change my pswd yesterday and gave me a spot of grief this am. Maybe it doesn’t recog me so early, eh?

February 21, 2013 at 9:36 am

February 21, 2013 at 9:41 am

I was heartened to see so many people on Twitter giving Dan kudos for his interview with PBO. It’s good when we let the journalists know that the public appreciates actual good ole-fashioned journalism instead of the sensational, agenda-driven crap that permeates our current media reporting.

• February 21, 2013 at 9:45 am

That’s great Hopefruit, and from his tweets he seems like a really decent guy. Excellent interview, great questions, so many important issues covered, and still he managed to be respectful and professional.

February 21, 2013 at 9:51 am

Yup. So refreshing :)

• February 21, 2013 at 10:04 am

He really is a very decent guy. He approaches all his reporting this way. A real old-fashioned nuts and bolts guy.
        But I never really knew just how polite he is until I read his timeline. Compared to all the other media jerks on twitter, he keeps it level. And I think he just had one of the great thrills of his life. The back and forth live stuff he did last night with the local station, he seemed almost giddy. He got to meet Sam Kass and tour the garden, he met with Ray LaHood, Arne Duncan, Karen Mills and sit in on the dpb with Jay Carney. And he got to meet BO!!

• February 21, 2013 at 11:36 am

I’ve been watching Dan Ashley here in the Bay Area since I was a kid, so I was glad to see he was one of the few local reporters chosen to go to the White House yesterday.

• 123 4morefor44
      February 21, 2013 at 9:49 am

someone should ask that reporter if he gave any lessons to the white house press corps on how to be a journalist while he was in d.c.

February 21, 2013 at 9:52 am

I think that’s why PBO does these local interviews – partly to highlight the difference between actual journalism and the usual WHPC drivel, and also to be more effective in reaching the public with the truth about what’s going on in Washington.

• 125 jackiegrumbacher
          February 21, 2013 at 10:00 am

Yes, Hf, because you can’t look at these smart interviews without thinking how inadequate, stupid, and self-obsessed the WHPC is. It’s almost as if the dregs of the profession, the lowest of the low, get assigned to cover the WH. What a shame.

• 126 99ts
      February 21, 2013 at 9:57 am

Also, too – he is responding to all the comments in a wonderful fashion

I loved where he mentioned “ABC7News photographer Mike Clarke and editing our piece on MY {my emphasis} President” – he recognizes HIS President rather than the usual media meme “THE President”. The difference a single word can make

• 127 HZ
        February 21, 2013 at 10:08 am

99ts, I also love how he is being receive by those who found his interview so respectful to POB. This is what POB will continue to seek. No more newstainers trying to ruin his second term. I thought the interviews were so refreshing for a change. HZ

28. 128 99ts
    February 21, 2013 at 9:45 am

Comment at BJ – explains reality
    ” the continuing fight over the deficit is causing more problems than the deficit itself.”

rather like “the greatest fear is fear itself”

• 129 4morefor44
      February 21, 2013 at 9:59 am

that’s been exactly the republican/john birch society plan for decades. starve the government of any revenue to do its constitutionally mandated job (then blame that government for not doing a good job!), and muck up the process enough so that they can’t pass any meaningful legislation that would, you know, actually help people. the koch brothers and a few other billionaires, who basically own the republican party and the media, don’t really care what happens as long as they don’t have have to sacrifice anything. they’ve already sucked up most of the money out of the system to themselves, and they want more so they can then “trickle it down” to the rest of us. they cannot pay single cent more in taxes to help the society that has produced so much them, and especially cannot give any military or public service, no sir-ee!…think george, mitt, or any of the 5 strapping young rmoney men…not a single second of military or public service among them. volunteering to help other mormons only doesn’t count. they are anti-constitutional in the truest sense.

• 130 jackiegrumbacher
      February 21, 2013 at 10:08 am

Great comment. The deficit itself would be taken care of if Congress did its job and passed the jobs and infrastructure bill AND worked on immigration and improved education. There is no deficit problem, there’s a job and investment problem. So all we get is manufactured crises designed to Decrease jobs and shake investor confidence. The GOP is the great negative drag on the economy. The single greatest fix for the nation’s future is to elect a Democratic House, a bigger Senate D majority and a strong Dem in 2016 who will carry on PBO’s legacy.

29. 132 Jovie
    February 21, 2013 at 9:47 am

The President to visit Virginia Shipbuilding yard on Tuesday-

30. 135 Jovie
    February 21, 2013 at 9:51 am

Big Bird became a regular staple of President Obama’s stump speech last year after challenger Mitt Romney threatened to slash public television funding.

Now Michelle Obama is tapping the Sesame Street character for another campaign: fighting childhood obesity.

She and Big Bird have filmed two public service announcements at the White House focusing on healthy eating and exercise.

“Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street, will distribute these PSAs to 320 PBS Stations,” a White House announcement says.

Everybody loves Big bird.

31. 137 anniebella
    February 21, 2013 at 9:55 am

I don’t understand these Republicans, something is wrong with them. Because I’m thinking that if they help solve the problems our country is facing, Americans would give them credit for solving the problems. But they have chosen to not solve the problems, but do all they can to cause more problems. I guess they don’t want to see President Obama succeed, so they have to do all they can to stop that,

32. February 21, 2013 at 9:59 am

Good moooooornnnninngggg, Chips and TODVille!!!!

Before I get started on this thread, I just have to thank Chips and everyone for the LAST thread.

OMG, our local anchor @DanAshleyABC7 committed an act of journalism yesterday!! I just read his timeline and he is so grateful for the opportunity to be at the WH and the good feedback from viewers He’s always a gentleman and it was great to see him in this venue. Everyone at the station seems to be enjoying all the details, especially the report on Bo.

Wow, Justice Sotomayor is so delightful and inspirational. A wise Latina, indeed. Thank you for those clips. I really must read her book.

LOVED the science awards WH video. Very cool nerdy stuff and I love that they are so honored in this way.

Thanks Dudette for the ballerina. Simply beautiful images and message.

And FLOTUS with Rachel Ray is just a complete breath of fresh, lovely air. I adore her. Veerrrrryyyy interesting to see that Ashley Judd was in on yesterday’s fabulous luncheon for all those great women!!

And all the other pieces of info and links. Thanks, everyone.

33. 146 HZ
    February 21, 2013 at 9:59 am

Good Morning Chips and my TOD Family. ((((((( Love everyday I am here, thanks my special angel, Chips))))))))) Lovely overcast morning on the west coast. Our First Lady is so beautiful. Big Bird is cool as well. Glad we won. Big Bird still has a job. Yes, Yes. TOD Power!!!HZ

34. 147 ranman11
    February 21, 2013 at 10:01 am

Who voted for the sequester?Democratic votes = 0Republican votes = 218who said he got 98% of what he wanted? John Boehner— dreamweaver/Vicki47% (@dreamweaver43) February 21, 2013

35. 148 yardarm756
    February 21, 2013 at 10:03 am

Hot from my e-mail.

Life’s Demerit System

All married men will attest to some real wisdom in this email…

…In the world of romance, one single rule applies:
    MAKE THE WOMAN HAPPY!

Do something she likes, and you get points.
    Do something she dislikes, and points are subtracted.
    You don’t get any points for doing something she expects.
    Sorry, that’s the way the game is played.
    Here is a non-exhaustive guide to the point system:

SIMPLE DUTIES
    You make the bed. (+1)
    You make the bed, but forget the decorative pillows. (-10)
    You throw the bedspread over rumpled sheets. (-3)
    You go out to buy her what she wants (+5) in the rain (+8)
    But return with Jack Daniels. (-5)

PROTECTIVE DUTIES
    You check out a suspicious noise at night. (+1)
    You check out a suspicious noise, and it is nothing. (0)
    You check out a suspicious noise, and it is something. (+5)
    You pummel it with an iron rod. (+10)
    It’s her pet Schnauzer. (-20)

SOCIAL ENGAGEMENTS
    You stay by her side for the entire party. (+1)
    You stay by her side for a while, then leave to chat with an old school friend. (-2)
    Named Tina (-10)
    Tina is a dancer. (-10)
    Tina has breast implants. (-40)

HER BIRTHDAY
    You take her out to dinner. (+2)
    You take her out to dinner, and it’s not a sports bar. (+3)
    Okay, it’s a sports bar. (-2)
    And its all-you-can-eat night. (-3)
    It’s a sports bar, it’s all-you-can-eat night, and your face is painted the colors of your favorite team. (-10)

A NIGHT OUT
    You take her to a movie. (+1)
    You take her to a movie she likes. (+5)
    You take her to a movie you hate. (+6)
    You take her to a movie you like. (-2)
    It’s called ‘Death Cop.’ (-3)
    You lied and said it was a foreign film about orphans. (-15)

YOUR PHYSIQUE
    You develop a noticeable potbelly. (-15)
    You develop a noticeable potbelly and exercise to get rid of it. (+10)
    You develop a noticeable potbelly and resort to baggy jeans and baggy Hawaiian shirts. (-30)
    You say, “It doesn’t matter, you have one too.” (-80)

THE BIG QUESTION
    She asks, “Do I look fat?” (-5)
    (Yes, you lose points no matter what)
    You hesitate in responding. (-10)
    You reply, “Where?” (-35)
    You give any other response. (-20)

COMMUNICATION
    When she wants to talk about a problem, you listen, displaying what looks like a concerned expression. (+2)
    You listen, for over 30 minutes (+50)
    You listen for more than 30 minutes without looking at the TV. (+500)
    She realizes this is because you have fallen asleep. (-4000)

Send this on to all of the gentlemen you know to refresh them on the point system.

(and to the ladies you know with a good sense of humor!)

36. 154 Linda
    February 21, 2013 at 10:05 am

Police say three people are dead and at least three are wounded from a gun battle between moving vehicles that ultimately crashed at a busy intersection on the Las Vegas Strip.

Sgt. John Sheahan says five vehicles were involved in the crash, including a taxi that burst into flames and killed two people around 4:30 a.m. Thursday at Flamingo and Las Vegas boulevards.

Sheahan says people in a Maserati and an SUV were exchanging gunfire before the Maserati hit the taxi.

The Maserati driver, the taxi driver and a taxi passenger were killed.

Three other vehicles were involved in the wreck, but Sheahan says the SUV was gone when police arrived.

At least three people were hospitalized, including a passenger from the Maserati.

Sheahan says more people may be hurt.

( no additional information at link. )

February 21, 2013 at 10:08 am

38. 156 yardarm756
    February 21, 2013 at 10:10 am

A woman goes into the local newspaper office to see that the obituary for her recently deceased husband is published. After the editor informs her that the fee for the obituary is 50 cents a word, she pauses, reflects and then says, “Well, then, let it read ‘Fred Brown died’.”

Confounded at the woman’s thrift, the editor stammers that there is a 7-word minimum for all obituaries. The woman pauses again, counts on her fingers and replies, “In that case, ‘Fred Brown died: 1983 Pick-up for sale’.”

39. February 21, 2013 at 10:15 am

Good morning TOD family and Chips.
    I am surprise that so much is going on that the msm never cover. I read the news here and put it on my facebook. I often wonder if it gets out to my friends and family. My granddaughter send me a email thanking me for sending her the article about brain mapping. Who knew.

Thanks TOD for all the information that is posted here to keep all of us informed.

February 21, 2013 at 10:16 am

41. 166 Ladyhawke
    February 21, 2013 at 10:27 am

A WHPC JACKAL (with no access to whitehouse.gov ? ) ACTUALLY ASKED THIS QUESTION.

================================================

Q Jay, what is the President’s plan to prevent the sequestration from happening?

MR. CARNEY: The President has put forward a plan —

Q Yesterday he talked about budget cuts. What are those cuts that he is proposing?

MR. CARNEY: Well, you can go to whitehouse.gov and look at the President’s budget, look at his submission to the sequester and look at all the reporting — ample reporting done and information that we provided on the offer that the President made to the Speaker of the House in December that in great detail put forward the spending cuts that the President supported and put forward, as well as the savings from entitlement reforms — significant savings from entitlement reforms.

Here’s to me a fundamental aspect of this — like if we all agree that in Washington, Republicans, if they lived in a perfect world and there were nothing but Republicans in Washington and in the country, they would only cut spending and never raise revenue to reduce our deficit. And Democrats — let’s just say this were true– Democrats would only raise revenue and never cut spending, especially not entitlement spending. So what’s the test of leadership? What’s the test of making tough choices?

You might say it’s Republicans agreeing to go along with some revenue and Democrats agreeing to go along with some spending cuts and entitlement savings. Well, what has happened? The President has led and put forward repeatedly proposals that are balanced, that include spending cuts — tough spending cuts for Democrats to agree to — that include savings from entitlement reforms — very tough decisions for Democrats — including we’ve talked about a technical change in our CPI that is a tough pill to swallow for a lot of Democrats, but in the context of a bigger deal that includes revenue, reasonable revenue that asks the wealthiest and large corporations to pay their fair share, the President is willing to go along with it.

What have seen from Republicans? Not a single, similar kind of tough choice. All we’ve seen is no revenue, no revenue, no revenue. We’d rather see those jobs lost. We’d rather see the border less secure. We’d rather see our national security undermined than corporate jet owners, God forbid, give up their tax break. That is not a position that represents courage, leadership or common sense.

————————————————————–

• 167 jackiegrumbacher
      February 21, 2013 at 10:51 am

LH, if I was in the room when Carney said this, I would have stood up and cheered. Go Jay. And I love when he told the jackals to do their job and look at information that’s already widely available before the ask dumb questions.

• February 21, 2013 at 10:56 am

Unbelievable! Brilliantly dealt with by Jay Carney.

42. February 21, 2013 at 10:31 am

Well, my, my, my……

Laura Bush Asks To Be Taken Out Of Pro-Gay Marriage Ad

A spokeswoman for Laura Bush on Thursday said the former first lady has requested to be taken out of an ad that features clips of well-known Republicans speaking out in favor of same-sex marriage, CNN reported.

The ad, released by the Respect for Marriage Coalition this week, includes footage of Bush during a 2010 interview with former CNN host Larry King.

“Mrs. Bush did not approve of her inclusion in this advertisement nor is she associated in any way with the group that made the ad,” Anne MacDonald, a a spokeswoman for the former first lady, said in a statement, according to CNN. “When she became aware of the advertisement Tuesday night, we requested that the group remove her from it.”

GUTLESS.

February 21, 2013 at 10:40 am

3 men die and go to heaven. St. Peter is standing at the gate and asks the first man “how long were you married?”. The man replies “40 years”. St Peter asks “how long were you faithful?” The man says, “40 years.” St. Peter replies “ok, you get the rolls royce to drive around in heaven.”

The second walks up. St. Peter asks him how long he was married and how long he was faithful. The man replies St. Peter “I was Married 40 years but only faithful for 20″. St. Peter replies “ok, you get this beetle to drive around in heaven in.”

The third man walks up and St. Peter asks him the same question. The man replies “I was married for 40 years but only faithful for 10 years”. St. Peter says “ok, you get the moped to drive in heaven”

So the man with the moped and the man with the beetle were driving around the heaven when they see the man with the rolls royce off the road and sobbing.

They ask him what is wrong, the man replies, “OH! LORD! I just saw my wife roll by on a skateboard.”

44. February 21, 2013 at 10:44 am

February 21, 2013 at 10:45 am

Married men live longer than single men, but the irony is that married men are lot more willing to die!

Gunnite folks. You’re free for another 6 hours or so. You’ve been pre-warned.

46. 190 japa21
    February 21, 2013 at 10:59 am

Question for fellow Republicans: if as you say the sequester was a trap set by President Obama, why are you so determined to spring it?— davidfrum (@davidfrum) February 21, 2013

47. February 21, 2013 at 11:02 am

I saw Reign of April and ABL praising this post on Twitter, it’s excellent:

Lisa Lampanelli: It’s About More Than Just The N-Word

• 211 utaustinliberal
      February 21, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Thank you so much for this Chips. I heard about Lisa Lampanelli’s “n-word” rant yesterday and was flabbergasted and outraged. I don’t care if you have 1 or 10,000 black friends it is never ever right to use the “n-word” if you are white, Latino, Asian, Native American etc. It is WRONG. I am an African-American female and I don’t let my Black friends use the “n-word” around me. If my friends introduce me to another of their friends who’s Black and they use the “n-word” in my presence, I immediately let them know, it’s nice to meet you, but please don’t use that word in my presence. I hate when people like Lampanelli try to justify using such a cruel word by saying well, I’m using the “gga” version and not the really hurtful “gger” version.

No….No….NO. Everyone knows how the “n-word” came to be. Everyone knows it was not some form of endearment when white slaveowners used it to refer to African-Americans during slavery, post-slavery, Jim Crow, segregation, Civil Rights struggle etc. It is not some “hey girlfriend” throw away catch line. It is a denigrating, hurtful, terminology meant to show white privilege when you callously throw it around and think it has no hateful meaning behind it.

Lisa Lampanelli doesn’t even realize the disgusting white privilege she displays by condescendingly telling African-Americans that she knows more about the history of the “n-word” than they or their ancestors do. It is white privilege she displays when she refuses to acknowledge the cruelty of the word she so carelessly bandies about. It is white privilege she displays when she doesn’t even take a moment to consider her actions and how they affect others. Worst of all, it is ignorance, hate, and prejudice she displays when she dismisses the concerns of a whole group of people who have suffered and still suffer just because of the color of their skin.

Lampanelli wants to call herself a comedienne? Then do the actual work that justifies the term. But don’t ever call yourself a true comedienne when you lack a sense of basic humanity that goes along with the term.

p.s. Hey Chips. This is another great article that you might be interested in. Jesse Williams deconstructs Django Unchained and Quentin Tarrantino’s ignorant thinking that he is the master of Black history.

• February 21, 2013 at 12:11 pm

You’re welcome UT, I didn’t know anything about this until I saw April and ABL’s tweets this morning. I despise the word being used in any context by anyone, regardless of who they are, but for a white person to use it and defend their ‘right’ to so as she did? Just beyond belief.

Just finishing off some work, will check that link when I’m done – thanks a million.

48. 213 JER
    February 21, 2013 at 11:09 am

49. February 21, 2013 at 11:43 am

50. 218 Ladyhawke
    February 21, 2013 at 11:46 am

“BRINKSMANSHIP FATIGUE”

The White House Press Corps has a serious case of selective amnesia about GOP sabotaging and hostage taking for the last four years. Pretending you don’t remember that GOP debt limit obstruction and hostage taking is what produced the sequester is journalistic malpractice. I was astonished at some of the stupid questions that were asked at the press briefing yesterday. To refresh their memory, jackals should be required to watch these two segments from TRMS last night BEFORE THE PRESS BRIEFING TODAY. I know it won’t change the quality of questions, but it should produce a twinge of shame. We are not being served.

=================================================

1) Rachel Maddow reports on politicians of every stripe, including House Speaker John Boehner claiming to abhor the sequester even though its economy-crushing cuts are entirely voluntary, self-imposed and unnecessary and completely within Boehner’s power to avoid by simply not doing it.

2) Ezra Klein of the Wonkblog talks with Rachel Maddow abut why it is completely within the power of congress to NOT DAMAGE THE ECONOMY with brinksmanship stunts.

==================================================

February 21, 2013 at 11:59 am

Okay, guess who made it in before noon?

52. 223 Ladyhawke
    February 21, 2013 at 11:59 am

SENATOR JOHN (Benghazi First) MCCAIN AND SENATOR LINDSEY (Please Don’t Primary Me) GRAHAM

Jon Stewart Shreds John McCain For Hypocritical, ‘Junior-High-School Level Pettiness’ Opposition To Hagel

—————————————————————–

Jon Stewart slammed Republican Sens. John McCain and Lindsey Graham on The Daily Show Wednesday night for what he painted as hypocritical opposition to the confirmation of Chuck Hagel as the nation’s next Secretary of Defense.

———————————————————————

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/jon-stewart-john-mccain-graham-chuck-hagel-confirmation-daily-show-2013-2#ixzz2LYLreMjF

53. 224 japa21
    February 21, 2013 at 12:10 pm

54. 235 japa21
    February 21, 2013 at 12:14 pm

My feelings about Frum are mixed. In a way, I am glad the GOP isn’t listening to him.

February 21, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Totally agree about Frum. But – not to worry – he’s right only a couple times a year, and then he usually takes it all back or tempers it. When I start thinking he’s learned something, I bring to mind he’s the one who came up with the concept of “axis of evil” (I think) for a speech, that had far-reaching, awful complications.

55. 237 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    February 21, 2013 at 12:19 pm

56. February 21, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Did SOS Clinton ever make a decision on the Keystone Pipeline? Because if she didn’t, then it falls to SOS Kerry. And I think that’s very good news.

57. 239 ranman11
    February 21, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Michigan dad requests that no black nurses care for his newborn in hospital. Yes, we’re in post-racial USA:… fb.me/BvnFPOOP— Karen Hunter (@karenhunter) February 21, 2013

RSS OFA