Feb

David Brooks: Lying = “Over-the-top lampooning”? Good grief.

Ezra Klein (Washington Post): I had some issues with David Brooks’s column Friday on the two parties’ sequester positions …. A transcript of our conversation follows.

Ezra Klein: In the column, you said that the Obama administration doesn’t have a plan to replace the sequester. I feel like I’ve had to spend a substantial portion of my life reading their various budgets and plans to replace the sequester, and my sense is that you’ve had to do this, too. So, what am I missing?

David Brooks: First, the column was a bit of an over-the-top lampooning column about dance moves. I probably went a bit too far when saying the president didn’t have a response to the sequester save to raise taxes on the rich. In the cool light of day, I can say that’s over the top. There’s chained CPI and $400 billion in health proposals. So I should say I was unfair. I’m going to attach a note to the column, if it’s not up already.

More here

As David Roberts ‏(@drgrist) put it on Twitter: “Seriously, David Brooks’ answer to this first question is remarkable. Why wouldn’t you fire him for this?”

189 Responses to “David Brooks: Lying = “Over-the-top lampooning”? Good grief.”

1. 1 japa21
    February 22, 2013 at 2:17 pm

2. February 22, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Sorry Brooks – doesn’t pass the smell test!

February 22, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Congratulations David Brooks, you win asshole of the week.

• February 22, 2013 at 2:24 pm

It’s beyond belief UT, if this isn’t a firing offense what the hell is??

• 8 utaustinliberal
        February 22, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Exactly. What frustrates me further is that he did not fact check his nonsense before sending it to print. He knew better. He knew that Pres. Obama has had a plan to address the sequester and deficit reduction for a while and to spread ignorance and lies to readers? That is disgusting beyond belief.

The NYT should be ashamed for allowing this to be published and yet they wonder why Pres. Obama hasn’t granted them an interview since 2010.

• 9 jackiegrumbacher
          February 22, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I spent many years of my career as a writer and that career would have been stopped in its tracks if I’d produced something as fact free and shoddy as David Brooks did. It’s time for David Brooks to retire. When you’re so lazy (bored) you can’t even click on a website to get the truth you need to set your rocking chair on the porch and face the sunset.

February 22, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I e-mail the NYT and I ask them do they allow anyone to put all kinds of lies in their paper? Shouldn’t the truth matter to you there at the NYT. I told them that David Brooks were lying when he said the President didn’t have a plan to deal with the sequester.

• 14 CarolMaeWY
        February 22, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Chips, I think he should also be fired from PBS too. If that’s not the network he’s on, then that one.

February 22, 2013 at 3:21 pm

David Brooks is a Republican, and do we really expect any better from them. Honestly, do we. The truth have long gone and left these bunch of Republicans.

• February 22, 2013 at 3:27 pm

This does not surprise me a bit. He likes to pretend that he is all rational and moderate, but he can’t quite carry it off. I remember in the 2008 election reading an editorial of his where he made a long list of negatives about Sarah Palin and why she was unfit to be VPOTUS (not hard to do) and I was a bit surprised to see that I agreed with him all the way to end when he , of course, ringingly endorsed her for VPOTUS. I had never liked him very much and had seen him do similar things before, but that was too much and I’ve not read him since. Not even for the sake of Gail Collins when they have their ‘conversations’.

• 18 susanne
        February 22, 2013 at 6:22 pm

exactly. the only way they can pretend to be important is to lie about what they really believe, and what they really plan. they have nothing left.

February 22, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Don’t forget First Lady Michelle Obama will be on Jimmy Fallon at 12:35PM ET / 11:35PM CT on NBC.

5. 47 RosesforObama
    February 22, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Yes , Brooks is so pathetic !

6. 48 Bill
    February 22, 2013 at 2:27 pm

After praising Brooks this morning wonder if Morning Joe will mention this “correction” on Monday.

• 49 Linda
      February 22, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I almost threw up watching Joe , Ed Rendell and the stupidest person on earth Mike Barnicle ( with his “both sides ” comment over and over and over )

• 50 Bill
        February 22, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Barnicle is on to make Willie and Harold Ford not to look as stupid as they are

February 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I can not stand watching Morning Joke.

• 52 57andfemale
        February 22, 2013 at 3:36 pm

What’s driving me insane: we have all these old DLC-loving Dem’s on MSNBC: Rendell, Fineman. And then we have ‘the kids’ who all look like they couldn’t buy a beer without being carded.

Are there no 40-something progressives and Dem’s who have a little maturity but don’t think we’re rooted in 1986?

February 22, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Brooks’ face looks all gummed up with lies.

8. 58 Vicki
    February 22, 2013 at 2:34 pm

The NYTimes is hopeless.
    In March of 2010 the day after POTUS signed the ACA all the New York papers had Front Page Headlines such as “Historic!!!”
    The NYTimes carried the news in a small article on page 17.

There is no pretense of news anymore.
    It is Corporate Agenda in Print. 365 days a year.

David Brooks isn’t their only conservative. Douthat and Friedman and Maureen Dowd carry water for the GOP as well.

9. February 22, 2013 at 2:40 pm

10. February 22, 2013 at 2:43 pm

• 70 utaustinliberal
      February 22, 2013 at 3:07 pm

The stupid, stupid, stupid national media will never understand that Pres. Obama and his digital/media team are eons ahead of them. This is the same thing Team Obama did with Bain Capital and Romney. They hit it early and the MSM was laughing at them saying it would never work. Who won in a landslide in November? HA!

11. 71 whatisworking
    February 22, 2013 at 2:43 pm

CALL TO ACTION

Let’s channel all that anger and frustration from David Brooks article into action.

Call your congress person and Senators.

I only have links to local office through the state of Georgia, but if you poke around on the main link (to their official website) the addresses for local offices are often on the bottom of the home page.

Remember – state your name, why you are calling (Keep It Simple) – close loopholes on oil companies and millionaires so we can avoid deep budget cuts, give a local zip code and say goodbye.

Call the Washington DC and local offices.

If you aren’t able to do this hile they are open – leave a message

Also tweet, post to their facebook page and fill out the email form at their website.

While they are making stupid statements and pabricating articles for the NYT – We remember

Stay Calm
    Make Calls
    the Middle Class Wins

……..

• 72 CarolMaeWY
      February 22, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Is today our call to action to stop gun violence at OFA?

• February 22, 2013 at 3:46 pm

And remember, if phone lines are busy, if you cannot talk to a person; if you feel (as I do) that emails can be overlooked due to the volume of them; send a FAX. Back to the good old days, but an actual piece of paper with your message does wind up in their office. If it goes to their computer first, still someone has to look at it to decide its merit.

12. February 22, 2013 at 2:44 pm

• 76 sonjiaduncan
      February 23, 2013 at 1:24 am

Goodlatte himself, who has an “A” rating from the National Rifle Association, told CQ Roll Call four days after the Connecticut shooting that “gun control is not going to be something that I would support.” He struck a more conciliatory tone on Friday.

February 22, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Short David Brooks: I LIED, NYT. What are you gonna do about it? HAHAHA!!! Poor excuse for a “journalist”.

14. 78 whatisworking
    February 22, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Encouraging quote of the day

“Fighting for your dreams isn’t always easy but it’s so worth it.”
    ~Unknown~

February 22, 2013 at 2:52 pm

February 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm

February 22, 2013 at 2:56 pm

• 84 Linda
      February 22, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Wow…she looks better and better… She has re-shaped her figure before our eyes….. ( What is my excuse ? )

• February 22, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I was just thinking the same thing! She looks absolutely fantastic – and healthy! A real inspiration.

February 22, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Linda, I have no excuse. I have decided to eat healthier, eat more fruits, I have my bowl of apples and I’m keeping the chips and cookies out of the house. One step at a time, I’m going to make FLOTUS proud of me.

• 87 Pamela
          February 22, 2013 at 3:47 pm

That’s exactly the first steps annibella, and more walking if you have time. (but Trader Joe’s Reduced Fat Cheesy Puffs are not a health hazard, trust me on this one!) :)

• 88 CarolMaeWY
          February 22, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Bananas are even better than apples. They have some protein, etc. It is too long to post.

• 89 CarolMaeWY
          February 22, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Oh, and on YouTube, they have instructions on how to do the PSY and Doogie. I think they are fun.

February 22, 2013 at 6:33 pm

‘She has re-shaped her figure before our eyes….. ( What is my excuse ? )’

Linda, not an excuse, a reason = you were waiting for me!

18. February 22, 2013 at 2:58 pm

• 92 LDS
      February 22, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Dear lovely plains,
      I take some responsibility for not adding the NYT on the list of newspapers to avoid when and if you visit NYC. I stop reading that, also during the Bushes era. The so- called intelligent people would spread this cumbersome spread all in your space and face without an apology whatsoever. They felt it was their privilege to invade your space with this blanket of right wing bs…..they tried very hard to make Dumbya look smart and intelligent. I gave up on them about the same time as I did with the Daily News and NY Post. I prefer the community circulars. And like yourself PBS and BBC.
      NYT, the news that is fit to print lies!

19. February 22, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Brooks the moderate? Republicans are showing themselves to be dishonest and untrustworthy…we just need to step out of the way of them destroying their party!

20. February 22, 2013 at 3:01 pm

• 96 Nena20409
      February 22, 2013 at 3:08 pm

The same should be demanded of Joe Scarborough on Mourning Joke today. I was so mad…..not at the lying cheating idiot, but at Ed Randell, Rev Al, Mika and Mike B…….all of them, I have no doubt were getting instant correction, but they cared less and Never once corrected the lying cheating basta*d.

• February 22, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I have not watched MSNBC since inauguration day. They have lost their way……. I watch PBS, BBC America, (AlJazeeraEnglish/CNNi/NDTV) for international news and am quite satisfied.

• February 22, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Nena, I know just what you mean. I have houseguest who like that stupid show. I was so pissed watching that crap, I almost told them to get out. :) I’m so sick of Joke and his stories about when he was in Congress back in the days of Caesar. They all sit around and no one ever bothers to disagree with or correct him. Guess they’re afraid they won’t be invited back.

• February 22, 2013 at 5:28 pm

YES. Thank you Bobfr. I got no use for the NewYorkTimes. Shame on them.

21. 100 Nena20409
    February 22, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Congratulations Japa21 for being Numero Uno :)

22. 101 japa21
    February 22, 2013 at 3:05 pm

February 22, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Wait a minute there , I missed your exalted position in my mad rush to try and catch up. Congrats, Japa! I’m proud of you for climbing swiftly to the top. [psst. Were you trying to get a better view as to where I was in the crowd? ;) ;) ]

February 22, 2013 at 3:11 pm

24. 104 57andfemale
    February 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm

So, let me get this straight: It’s okay for PBO to offer compromise and some sacrifice to Social Security benefits and health care. And where is the sacrifice and compromise from Republicans? Crickets, you lying son-of-a………

25. February 22, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Over the top? Why write it in the first place. Sensationalism!

26. 107 57andfemale
    February 22, 2013 at 3:16 pm

• February 22, 2013 at 3:24 pm

The entitlements are not even part of the sequester. They shouldn’t even be part of the discussion. The Medicare cuts are on the provider side.

• 109 57andfemale
        February 22, 2013 at 6:24 pm

You’re absolutely right. I’m going back to the original blackmail, the first manufactured debt ceiling crisis.

27. 110 Ladyhawke
    February 22, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Instead of the blame game, how about we look at the Republican alternative?

28. February 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm

O/T but really cool if you are into NASA. They did a google hangout w/ astronauts orbiting in the ISS

29. 115 4morefor44
    February 22, 2013 at 3:30 pm

i keep saying this around here, but people keep seeming to not understand. any, and i mean every single bit of the national papers, tv “news,” and radio is SUPPOSED lie about democrats and liberal policy truths, and promote republican ideas. it’s why the few billionaires who own it all bought it all up in the first place…to do exactly this and keep their taxes low and regulation non-existant.

this is nothing new from david brooks. he’s been doing equally false and misleading articles FOR YEARS, yet nothing happens to him, BECAUSE HE’S DOING EXACTLY WHAT HIS BOSSES WANT HIM TO DO. why would they fire him for this when this is what he’s paid to do? he’s probably going to get a raise. i’m serious. david gregory just got a big contract extension this week, despite his rating plummeting since he’s been at MTP and his competition’s ratings skyrocketing. it’s worth it to push back to try to get more of the public to know the truth, but it’s a waste of time and energy to try and get any “news” owner to change what they’re doing.

• 116 Vicki
      February 22, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Uh-huh, 4more. The latest thing I’ve heard is that Bloomberg will own the NYTimes in the next year or so. I hear your message loud and clear .

30. 117 Ladyhawke
    February 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm

AW, IT’S STEVE BENEN’S BLOGOVERSARY. CONGRATULATIONS STEVE. YOU ARE A TREASURE.

A decade of blogging

By Steve Benen

————————————————–

We’ll return to covering the news shortly, but I hope readers won’t mind a brief self-indulgent interruption.

Exactly 10 years ago tomorrow, I began my blogging career, making this my “blogoversary.” My very first post, published on Feb. 23, 2003, complained about the guest list on “Meet the Press,” which reinforces the thesis that some things never change.

Of course, some things change quite a bit. Ten years ago, I was 29, a job opportunity had just fallen through unexpectedly, and I suddenly found myself in an awkward professional position. My wife suggested I start a blog — if I had an online outlet, maybe I’d stop droning on about politics in our kitchen — and it seemed like a little side project I could tackle until a “real” job came along.

—————————————

31. February 22, 2013 at 3:35 pm

32. 125 CarolMaeWY
    February 22, 2013 at 3:41 pm

David Brooks: “The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made.” – Groucho Marx

33. 126 Pamela
    February 22, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I’ll fire him.

• 127 Pamela
      February 22, 2013 at 3:43 pm

In fact, this tempts me to watch PBS Newshour tonight, just to watch him squirm out of this, or attempt to, but… I probably won’t.

• February 22, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Half tempted too Pamela, but I’ll probably resist!

• February 22, 2013 at 4:02 pm

ATTENTION CHIPTICKS and ALL soccer hooligans at TOD, it may the time to visit your first ME country.

• February 22, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Crikey, that’s amazing LP – in a ridiculous kind of way! I read somewhere the other day that there’s still a chance Fifa will withdraw hosting rights from Qatar, more for temperature reasons (like they didn’t know that would be an issue when the bribes worked and they picked Qatar) than human rights concerns – well, needless to say Fifa don’t worry about pesky little things like human rights. So, don’t book your flight yet!

• February 22, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Really, we all know Fifa is a corrupt, kleptocratic organization, and that Sepp is leaving it in worse shape than when he found it. But for all the money that exchanged hands, you’d think they’d have a plan in place for the weather. I mean, it’s the fucking DESERT! That would be like the US getting the WC and then scheduling games in AZ. But, let’s also be frank: if any country can pull off a WC in the desert, it’ll be the oil corporation known as Qatar.

Oh, and hello Obots! It’s my first Friday off in a month, so I’m a busy domestic bee today, as the missus is at work and the dog is at school.

• February 22, 2013 at 4:26 pm

The dog is at school? :-)

I honestly laughed out loud when they announced Qatar had got it, Fifa don’t even try to look non-corrupt. I know there was uproar at the time about the weather issue, even talk about the WC being held at a different time of year – :roll: – but I didn’t realize there was still speculation that it might actually lead to Fifa changing their minds. I would have thought it’s unlikely, but we’ll see. Whatever about playing games in air-conditioned stadiums with roofs, it won’t exactly be a fun spot for visiting supporters??

• February 22, 2013 at 4:32 pm

That’s what we call Stewie’s daycare. :lol: He is one spoiled bastard.

I thought that Qatar was settled. But, really, who wants to watch footy in a roofed stadium? That’s what American football is for.

• February 22, 2013 at 4:42 pm

“who wants to watch footy in a roofed stadium?”

+ 99 gazillion!!!!

“Stewie’s daycare” ….. I’m ROARing!!!!

• February 22, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Dont worry LL, our intelligence sharing i.e. Drones has helped the Qatari develop floating clouds (roof for shade). I bet thee puppies will be armed w/ sprinklers, you know to cool off the spectators?

• February 22, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I think one of the big objections was about what would happen spectators outside of the games, would they just melt in to puddles?! Can’t see thousands of European supporters traveling there, as they do to most WCs, but I doubt Fifa care too much about that – if it goes ahead, they’ll just pack the stands with locals!

• February 22, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I think $20 billion and Presidential Suites fill w/ harems for FIFA officials solved that problem. Quite frankly I think Qatar wanted WC just for exposure and as an alternative to Dubai. Also as an excuse to line the pockets of contractors for creating jobs (using slave labor wages) I dont think they will even make a profit but they dont care. Thats my supposition.

• February 22, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I reckon you’re right, LP! It’s their treatment of immigrant workers that makes it so staggering they won hosting rights, but ….. Fifa.

• February 22, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Yes the temperature issues are what other countries tried to lobby against Qatar when the bidding process started. But Qatar, in their presentation, said all the stadiums and practice facilites will have AC and roofs. Also there experimenting w/ making fake clouds to make r provide shade!!! http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/03/25/qatar.flying.saucers/index.html Just look at that stadiums, breathtaking.

• 146 Pamela
          February 22, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Yes, the solar plexus can only tolerate so much of this kind of dishonesty – looking the public in the eye and spinning mistruth. Would not trade places with any of them, money or no money. Not I.

34. February 22, 2013 at 3:44 pm

35. February 22, 2013 at 3:56 pm

36. February 22, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I’m not surprised by Brooks behavior, this hack singlehandedly chased me away from
    PBS News hour. I’ts about time he got called out.

• 154 Pamela
      February 22, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Agree mophene, he was certainly the worst offender, but some of the others just became ego-personified, simpering about how much they ‘KNEW’, when listening surely seemed to contradict that! (and my brother is a stage manager/teleprompter/cameraman/do-everything-guy for WETA, not that I have ever been in the room with any of those people!)

37. 155 JER
    February 22, 2013 at 4:07 pm

38. 156 Bill R.
    February 22, 2013 at 4:31 pm

39. 159 99ts
    February 22, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Hello everyone – well I wake up to discover pundits are now interviewing pundits – or as the tweets call them pundances.

Why don’t they go talk to the folks who are bringing the country down – and ask them why – instend of contemplating their own navels.

40. February 22, 2013 at 4:55 pm

This has to be awkward, Pres. Ahmadinejad greeting U.S.A. wrestling team for a tournament in Iran. uskowioniran.com/2013/02/ahmadinejad-greeting-us-wrestling-team.html …

41. 164 Ladyhawke
    February 22, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Nope: People really, really don’t like spending cuts

Posted by Jonathan Bernstein

————————————————–

Ehen it comes to the fight over budgeting in general and sequestration in particular, there’s probably nothing more important to know about public opinion than the fact that most people like spending cuts in the abstract, but oppose them for virtually all specific programs. Republicans believe they will be able to shift the blame for unpopular sequester cuts to Obama. But Obama will be repeating that he wants cuts balanced by tax increases on the wealthy and corporations, while the consensus Republican position will remain that we should only have deep cuts — indeed, that we should go farther than the sequester.

So when voters start complaining about specific cuts, Obama can offer to replace them with specific tax increases voters favor. But all Republicans have to offer to replace specific unpopular sequester cuts is … other specific unpopular cuts. This is not a playing field that sets up well for Republicans.

—————————————————-

• 166 dotster3
      February 22, 2013 at 5:36 pm

That was written about my hometown—“River City” was Mason City, Ia. We didn’t have much trouble, trouble, trouble—–unless you want to count Grandpa Louie’s huckly buck daily card game at the pool hall with other grampys. Those sinners!

42. 169 Melanie
    February 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm

@michelleobama was totally just here. Saw her doing the Dougie and other adorable dance moves for the @jimmyfallon show.— Joy Reid (@TheReidReport) February 22, 2013

43. 173 Ladyhawke
    February 22, 2013 at 5:20 pm

HOMEWORK FOR GOP & MSM: IT’S AMAZING THE STUFF YOU CAN FIND AT http://WWW.WHITEHOUSE.GOV

Obama’s Not-So-Secret Medicare Plan

Republican Could Learn A Lot By Visiting The White House Website

By Jonathan Cohn

———————————

I have a big scoop, straight from an extremely reliable White House source: The Obama Administration has endorsed means-testing of Medicare.
    But the failure to recognize, or at least acknowledge, that the administration has already proposed serious means-testing is widespread in Washington—and emblematic of a broader truth in the budget debate. The administration has proposed serious compromises, the kind that makes liberals like me squeamish. And while plenty of Democrats don’t like them, plenty would go along with them, if—and only if—they are part of a deal in which Republicans are making equal concessions. But Republicans aren’t doing that. They oppose raising any more revenue, and they want to replace existing cuts to the Defense Department with yet more cuts to social programs. No deal is possible until Republican behavior changes. And that behavior won’t change as long as it escapes notice.

———————————————

February 22, 2013 at 5:45 pm

No doubt some of you will be pleased to hear that after poking around in my left hand with needles and zapping it from time to time with varying degrees of power, the neurologist concluded that my nerve endings are fine! ;) However, she did send me for a couple of lab tests, and booked me for a few others types of tests in the near future. Once they were done with me I decided that since I was on the road already I might as well run a few errands or more, hence this very, very delayed entrance. I suppose you guys had all sorts of interesting things ongoing today! I shudder to think how much catching up needs to be done but I’m only going to concentrate on THIS post, so if you know of anything I OUGHT TO KNOW in the previous posts give me a hint, a wink or an elbow in the side. Thanks – I’m off upstream.

45. February 22, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Brooks and Carson want people to think they are reasonable thinker, These two people think alike. They both use Gov. to get ahead but don’t want you to.

Found this on the web and it so true

Carson using the opportunity of a prayer breakfast event to promote hard work, “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” individual responsibility and the positive influence of a loving, caring, spiritual, single mother. These are all commendable. But.

Where it fell short for was that he did not acknowledge the positive role of society and government in helping him get where he is today. He spoke highly of the role reading, and books borrowed from the Detroit library system, had on his growth as a responsible citizen. Where was his advocacy that these libraries be kept open? He spoke highly of education as the means by which a humble, challenged, troubled youth like he was could rise out of poverty. Where was his advocacy that we as a society should continue to support public education? I suspect much of Carson’s education, to some extent or another, was publicly funded (I am speculating here so someone can correct me if I am wrong). From his age, I will surmise Carson grew up in a tax environment which had the top marginal rate as high as 90% for the highest income earners–which, in part, was the social structure and environment that enabled his rags-to-riches story. This he did not acknowledge.

He decried the high national debt, which we all know is caused by disproportionately high defense spending and our refusal (or political cowardice) to pay for it. Where was Carson’s critique of these un-funded military adventures? Could his presence and background story have been used to continue to unjustly bash “welfare mothers” as the cause for the high national deficit?

I applaud his call for the left and the right to work together to solve social problems. My disappointment was in his unbalanced presentation which emphasized individual efforts while ignoring corporate responsibility. Where were these “who is my brother” and “bear ye one another’s burdens” Christian principles in his speech and interview?

• 185 nathkatun7
      February 22, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Absolutely spot-on, dun! These are very selfish people. After they’ve climbed the ladders of opportunity to success provided to them by other people, they now want to take away those ladders for the people coming behind them. To add insult to injury, they turn around and blame the people they deny ladders for not succeeding to reach the top as they did. Dr. Carson was a total disappointment! He may be a good doctor, but he is totally clueless when it comes public policy and understanding how society functions. I am sure as physician he has benefited from government investment in research and technology. He also must drive on roads paid for by we the people and fly on planes kept safe by we the people. Frankly, I think that Dr. Carson, like many rich people and corporations, is greedy man and doesn’t want to pay his share of taxes. That’s why he has embraced the false notion that success is purely based on hard work and individual merit. As Dr. King said, (and I am paraphrasing here) It’s cruel to tell a bootless person to pull himself/herself up from his/her own bootstraps.

46. February 22, 2013 at 6:14 pm

OK Jay Carney just absolutely destroyed Wolf Blitzer…. I mean Wolfie got in about 10 words in a 8 minute video. Jay was filibustering him the whole time. I bet CNN wont post the video, but TOD we need some enterprising sleuth to dig it up. I’ll do my part.

RSS OFA