Feb

Rise and Shine

Two years ago: VP Biden, joined by daughter Ashley Biden, left, wife Dr. Jill Biden, President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama, react to a joke made by Jamie Foxx during “The Motown Sound: In Performance at the White House,” Feb. 24, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

The Sunday shows – guests include:

This Week: Rep Mike Rogers, Rep Eliot Engel, George Will, Christiane Amanpour, Donna Brazile.

Face the Nation: Sen Kelly Ayotte, Sen Tim Kaine, Gov Martin O’Malley, Gov Bob McDonnell, Gov Jan Brewer, Gov John Hickenlooper, Rep Tim Murphy.

Meet the Press: Gov Deval Patrick, Gov Bobby Jindal, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, Harold Ford, Peggy Noonan.

State of the Union: Sen John :roll: McCain, Sen Patrick Leahy, Gov Daniel Malloy, Haley Barbour, Gwen Ifill.

MooOOOoooOOOOoorning everyone, it’s a beautiful day! Actually, that’s not true – my fingers, toes and nose are numb. In fact, my fingers are so cold I’m finding it hyyyyard too[[[ooooo tyyyoppye.

Will catch up with newsie things later after I get a bit of work done – that’s if my fingers have defrrrrrosssst]]]]]ed.

227 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 Roberta in MN
    February 24, 2013 at 7:31 am

Good Morning Chips & TODer’s

• February 24, 2013 at 7:34 am

Moooooooooooooorning LDS!!!!

• 22 LDS
      February 24, 2013 at 7:35 am

That was soclose….
      Good morning, Chips and congrats, Roberta

• 23 LDS
        February 24, 2013 at 7:44 am

I was leaving my night owl partner a good morning and look who I bumped into.
        It has been a long while since I was up on top.
        Enjoy the Oscars everyone! I will be lurking later.
        Thank you Chips for a great week.
        Dan Ashley, the REAL REPORTER finally got me to start tweeting. He was just to nice not to give a shout out. He did such a wonderful job.

QUESTION: Is it possible to tweet yourself?
        I think I did. The sad part is I answered me back.
        Will keep trying until I get it right! Got four more years….got to get these Repugs out in 2014.
        ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

• 29 Roberta in MN
        February 24, 2013 at 7:48 am

Thank you LDS. I have been up since 5am with my pooch. we were to bed early last night. :)

• 31 Roberta in MN
      February 24, 2013 at 7:50 am

I dislike that man with a passion. I wished he would just go away, just like Nixon.

• 35 utaustinliberal
      February 24, 2013 at 8:32 am

It’s now becoming clear that Woodward is a shoddy journalist and Bernstein might have been the one who did all the investigative work regarding Watergate. Woodward seems to think he still has any cache and relevance with smart people of today. This is not the 70s Woody. It’s not the 70s.

2. February 24, 2013 at 7:49 am

How disgusting is this?

43??

• 37 Roberta in MN
      February 24, 2013 at 7:52 am

Am I glad I am out of that hell hole in Texas. Sorry UT.

• February 24, 2013 at 7:54 am

I saw some replies that said because “Grover Cleveland was the 22nd and 24th” president, 43 is correct. But I doubt very much that’s what Cruz had in mind seeing as PBO is referred to as 44. Any way, **** him.

• 39 globalcitizenlinda
      February 24, 2013 at 7:55 am

this fool will end up where other self-important fools have gone – in the garbage bin of history.

hate is a dangerous thing – when you put in writing crap like this

• 41 Bill
      February 24, 2013 at 7:58 am

Cruz was born in Canada and his father fought for Castro. The Cruz story is getting crazier by the day. He is sticking by his story there were twelve Communists on the Harvard Law faculty when he was there.

• February 24, 2013 at 8:06 am

He’s really something Bill, I’m just surprised he’s only claiming there were 12 ‘Commies’ in the Harvard Law faculty. Nutjob.

• 43 prettyfoot58
        February 24, 2013 at 8:12 am

But so if it was..it is a non story….not going to entertain it…

• 44 Bill
          February 24, 2013 at 8:22 am

Cruz said the twelve wanted to overthrow the US government. It is against federal law to be a member of an organization that desires to overthrow the US government. Harvard Law would have a major problem with faculty members advocating the overthrow of the government. Cruz is a nut.

February 24, 2013 at 10:31 am

Morning, Bill! Do you have a liny for that because I got into a little tiff with a wingnut that choose to believe that he was born HERE….I think the guy protests too much, and there’s a shit ton of stuff that we’ll learn about this loon! I think we call it PROJECTION :)

• 46 Bill
          February 24, 2013 at 10:38 am

GM Desertflower, tell your wingnut to check Wikipedia. He was born in Calgary, Alberta and his family moved to the US when he was four.

February 24, 2013 at 11:01 am

:) I checked Wiki and saw that he was born in Calgary and linked him to that…..I was more concerned with the dad fighting for Castro. Sorry, I didn’t clarify….

• 50 vitaminlover
        February 24, 2013 at 12:26 pm

There’s the proof of his wackiness.

• 51 jackiegrumbacher
      February 24, 2013 at 8:06 am

It’s actually this little creep that inspires me to fight to preserve our great DEMOCRACY from those like Cruz who are a direct threat to everything this country stands for. Every once in a while someone utterly hateful like this slips into one of our houses of Congress and starts secreting poison. The only antidote is a watchful electorate, repeated pushback and constant exposure of his blatant anti-Americanism.

• February 24, 2013 at 8:14 am

+ 1,000,000,000 Jackie – let their hate inspire us to fight back even harder.

• 53 prettyfoot58
        February 24, 2013 at 8:14 am

Feeling you so much on this ….Jackie…

i have heard that our new state attorney general Kanel may be a candidate for Gov….have you heard that..

• 54 jackiegrumbacher
          February 24, 2013 at 9:16 am

No, PF, I haven’t and I don’t think she will. I believe she takes the job she got got elected to seriously and will do it with real vigor. Besides, I want to save her to run against Toomey. In four years she’ll be more than ready to take on the Great Idiot PA stupidly sent to the Senate.

• 56 prettyfoot58
      February 24, 2013 at 8:07 am

This is uncalled for….EVERY TIME HE TAKES A SWIPE AT PBO…HE TAKES A SWIPE AT US ALL…ESP THE BLACK COMMUNITY….between folks like him in our Congress and folks like him in our state houses…esp those in Michigan…..it could be overwhelmng /but all it will do is give me more inspiration to fight harder….

The Sturggle continues~~

• February 24, 2013 at 8:17 am

He’s the dregs, Prettyfoot. I know some were defending him using “43”, but he knew exactly what he was doing. Piece of crap.

• 58 utaustinliberal
          February 24, 2013 at 8:36 am

It’s all good Chiparoo. It just makes us fight harder. This reminds me of the crap the rightwing tried to pull off in 2012 with the voter suppression tactics. Instead of it working, it backfired on them because the minority community – African-Americans, Latinos, Asians, Native Americans etc. all showed in huge numbers and made sure their voices were heard.

They kept poking and poking and poking and the sleeping giant has awoken.

• February 24, 2013 at 8:46 am

“They kept poking and poking and poking and the sleeping giant has awoken.”

Beautiful!!!

PS 14 minutes gone and you’re still holding Man City scoreless :cool:

• 60 utaustinliberal
              February 24, 2013 at 9:04 am

I know! *crosses fingers* This match against Man City makes me nervous but I’m rooting hard for my Chelsea boys. :D

• 61 proudmemberofglobalzero
      February 24, 2013 at 8:21 am

Found this one and still cannot stop laughing:

• 62 Dudette
      February 24, 2013 at 8:27 am

Trolling! Don’t bite!

• 65 a4alice
      February 24, 2013 at 8:45 am

gads what an asshat is Cruz. Joe McCarthy is alive and well with this boyo.

• February 24, 2013 at 9:20 am

THERE IS AN ENDLESS SUPPLY OF PAINT.

February 24, 2013 at 9:35 am

I will e-mail Ted Cruz and ask him if he have heard of a President name Barack H. Obama. I believe he was elected in 2008 and 2012.

• February 24, 2013 at 11:16 am

So, another jackass wants to get the most out of his puny 15 minutes of fame, in hopes he’ll hit it rich and then can pump his book full of lies. Yawn. Seen it, it’s old. They just cannot stand the simple Truth of the matter ~ that President Obama is unlike any other leader in the history of this country. They hate Truth, they hate Honor, they hate everything and everyone. Their time is at an end. We are changing the world now.

February 24, 2013 at 11:58 am

If we haven’t done so already, we should respond to him with a gazillion tweets. That was totally racist.

3. February 24, 2013 at 7:55 am

Good morning, TOD family. I am still around much of the time. Often, I scroll through quickly and try to do that when hubby isn’t around. :) Things are good! Blessed day to all!

That tweet from Cruz actually makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. HATE-FILLED man!

4. 81 Roberta in MN
    February 24, 2013 at 8:00 am

I tweeted that pc of offal back “we have 44 Presidents and the one that inspires me is President Obama”

• 82 jackiegrumbacher
      February 24, 2013 at 8:13 am

I tweeted him much the same, Roberta and added that PBO is one of the best presidents in US history.

5. 83 CEB
    February 24, 2013 at 8:03 am

Good morning everyone.

6. 85 jackiegrumbacher
    February 24, 2013 at 8:16 am

The day that not one single Sunday show includes John McCain (great icon, Chips) should be a day of celebration here. That man must have made some deal with the media devils–“I sell my soul and whatever remaining humanity I have if you showcase me and my sick, addle-headed opinions every week.” A lot of money must have crossed hands as well, or, maybe he loans each media exec one of his houses for the week.

• 86 Jovie
      February 24, 2013 at 8:40 am

The funny thing is, while McCain was all over every media outlet every day, it was the President being accused of being the Press media darling!
      Utter nonsense and propaganda! If You want to promulgate a lie, have the press do it for you. Check!

7. 87 99ts
    February 24, 2013 at 8:25 am

Hello all – Miss Chips you are so early today – couldn’t believe when my TV show finished & I found you up and about

And how does someone like Cruz get elected? This is SO weird. He must be having a sad that pretending to be McCarthy doesn’t work in the US any more. People have moved on from communism – which is a plus for sanity.

• 88 dotster3
      February 24, 2013 at 8:41 am

How does someone like Cruz get elected statewide in Texas? What a shameful embarrassment. Did people just unknowingly vote for him because of his name, without bothering to find out anything else about him? Worrisome.

• 89 99ts
        February 24, 2013 at 8:46 am

We are both confused – then again – Alaska voted for Sarah Palin as Governor – “you can fool all of the people some of the time” – one hopes he will not be re-elected – given he is being seriously dumb, stupid and wrong from day 1 – his name will be one that most will know to vote against in the future.

• February 24, 2013 at 10:08 am

I am seriously surprised to learn that he went to Harvard and did well there. Perhaps this is all theater to appeal to his voters. Which is even worse, to me, than if he really believes the stuff he spouts.

• February 24, 2013 at 10:32 am

He’s so sure there were 12…how does he know? Oooh, maybe he WAS one! Let’s start a rumor!!!!!!!!!!! (not seriously but it’s tempting)

• 92 HZ
        February 24, 2013 at 11:20 am

GM, maryl, it is even so sad the Cruz chose a great school to get his education and then come out and be an ass with that precious education. Bashing the POTUS and Sen. Hagel and others who are REALLY serving their country. That is the sad part. Just think of so many wonderful and qualified young people who would love to go to Harvard and come out and really contribute something of goodness in their hearts to this nation.

May Sen. Cruz meet his days to take a decent inventory of his soul while passing through the halls of a great institution( so it was meant to be). Until then, he will be nothing but a loud, incompetent, ugly and disgraceful piece of crap that he has chosen to be. What a waste of our money for his Crap-Journey.HZ

• February 24, 2013 at 2:19 pm

There are probably as many reasons for going to Harvard as there are students going there. I know many are there for reasons that are not high-minded, and which I might not agree with, but I don’t think there are many that are using that education to harm the country through demagoguery, which is the route he has chosen. I pray that this will not work for him but against him, so it will be in his own best interest to stop.

8. 94 Dudette
    February 24, 2013 at 8:27 am

Good Morning Everyone!

9. 95 prettyfoot58
    February 24, 2013 at 8:32 am

Soooo…Gibbs and Axelrod are MSNBC contributors…who is their allegiance to…not sure if i want them to tell all about PBO….

• 96 utaustinliberal
      February 24, 2013 at 8:40 am

If you watched Gibbs this morning, you would see that he’s very loyal to Pres. Obama. Same with Axelrod. Let’s not start throwing stones at them when they’ve done nothing wrong. Becoming MSNBC contributors means they have one more outlet to help push Pres. Obama’s policies.

• 97 99ts
        February 24, 2013 at 8:53 am

I think they will tell the truth – which will be seriously refreshing. David Axelrod was wonderful on Morning Joe before the election when he simply said (and bet) that President Obama would win Pennsylvania, Michigan and Minnesota – despite Joe ranting about the great chance of Romney to take these states. He seems to have a skill of quietly refuting the bigots and liars without going overboard.

• 98 prettyfoot58
        February 24, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Ummmm…not throwing stones..,,but i am uneasy with them being a contributor

• 99 Jovie
      February 24, 2013 at 8:43 am

He will be like Michael Steele is, a contributor with his own party bias.
      Go get some coffee…

February 24, 2013 at 9:46 am

I’m puzzle how Michael Steele can remain so loyal to the Republican Party when they kick his butt from being the Republican Party Chairman. But re-elected that little punk that they have now.

• 102 prettyfoot58
        February 24, 2013 at 2:20 pm

i had coffee….with chocolate creamer…and a dollop of whipped cream

• 103 globalcitizenlinda
      February 24, 2013 at 9:57 am

i am not worried about the loyalty of Gibbs and Axelrod to PBO, they have been with him a very long time and are trusted friends.

they left the WH out of their own will and they still go back & communicate directly with PBO

I think they just want to increase the megaphone for PBO’s policies since many who voted for PBO claimed he had a communication shortcoming during the first term

• 104 HZ
        February 24, 2013 at 11:27 am

Indeed, globalcitizenlinda. Robert Gibbs and David Axelrod are true trusted friends of POB. We have nothing to worry about, for sure. They will be extentions in the purest manner for POB. Trust me. The more trusted and more knowledgable communicators POB has out there for his policies during this term will serve him well as well as serve us well.

We just be ready to keep their backs while they are out there in wolves country. HZ

• 105 prettyfoot58
        February 24, 2013 at 2:23 pm

ok…global….i have been schooled by a few…and had coffee;;;smilin

10. February 24, 2013 at 8:44 am

Good morning everyone. I love visiting this place because it assures a friendly, intelligent and thoughtful exchange as well as sources of important information and news. Thank you for that!

This thread started out lambasting Woodward and rightfully so, but it brings to mind a question I would like to pose to readers. Who do you consider to be a fair-minded, fact-based “reporter” of current events? There’s a distinction between those who promote and espouse an opinion…who reports “the facts”? But even if you’re seeking an opinion, whose is pragmatic and unbiased?

When I want to know about the war, I turn to The War Journal, finances…a few places including Krugman, etc. In the final analysis, I find I must read the legislation myself or immerse myself into historical archives. I’m disgusted. HELP!!

• 107 a4alice
      February 24, 2013 at 8:51 am

Now this is going to sound terrible because I can’t name a particular event that happened. I can’t think of it. It’s right out my mind. Maybe the Inauguration? I don’t know. But, try out the Los Angeles Times a few times. something happened a couple of months ago and there was a brief conversation about this newspaper here on TOD. Apparently, they have been the victim of downsizing, but posters pretty much agreed that they were the real deal. If I see an article go by on my timeline that is from there I generally go and read it.

• February 24, 2013 at 9:00 am

There might be something to that. Come to think about it, I have chosen the LA Times as a linking source over others a number of times myself. Thanks for reminding me.

• 109 99ts
      February 24, 2013 at 8:56 am

I come to TOD – only place I know that links to reality based news and good government sources. I used to think Wapo & NYT were good – but it has become very difficult to distinguish between news and opinion at both places.

• February 24, 2013 at 9:06 am

I completely agree. I think it’s all about sensationalism now. I remember reading a story in 2008 that referred to “President” Obama and TARP before he was even elected. Every major paper carried the exact same story.

• 111 utaustinliberal
      February 24, 2013 at 9:21 am

These days I find myself sometimes looking at the individual rather than the news organization. The one exception to that might be the LA Times. As for individuals, I read Steve Benen and Greg Sargent a lot. They break down complex policies to bare bones facts and don’t stand for nonsense. I also find it refreshing that I don’t agree with them 100% of the time. It makes for good dialogue. Michael Tomasky is another good read. You’re going to have disagreements with him but he lays it out there.

Another good one is The Washington Post’s Wonk Blog. They cover economics, healthcare, energy, taxes, climate change, etc. What I like about Wonk Blog is that they get down to the nitty gritty of how laws and policies will affect the everyday American. Again, I don’t agree with them 100% of the time, but so far so good.

Michael Grunwald is a fantastic read. He breaks down the BS from both sides. He uncovered the real truth about the success of the stimulus, he doesn’t stand for the D.C. beltway press’s nonsense, he covers policies, politics; pretty much everything and since he’s on Twitter, I get to ask him questions and get actual responses which furthers my understanding.

When it comes to the Supreme Court, I usually go to SCOTUS Blog. They called it right on ObamaCare and they’re very useful on the inner workings of the SCOTUS, past laws, precedents, cases that are before the SCOTUS and future cases to come.

When it comes to financial news, I read a lot of Joseph Weisenthal and others at Business Insider. I get the information fast and straight. Also, Weisenthal is on twitter and he always keeps me informed about domestic and international finance news.

Then of course, there’s The Obama Diary because with one click and a scroll through the comments section, I can find out what’s happening domestically and internationally.

Hope this helps.

• February 24, 2013 at 9:32 am

Yes it does! Thank you so much. I’ll have to check out Weisenthal. Right now, my reading list is just tooooo long. My eyes hurt. :)

• February 24, 2013 at 10:00 am

I loved how SCOTUSblog got the OBAMACARE decision right, while CNN , FOX got it completely wrong.

Still remember Maddow’s piece on the retired reporter who is doing everything by hand at SCOTUSblog…I thought it was a terrific segment

11. 114 dotster3
    February 24, 2013 at 9:02 am

Very depressing to see an article in my local paper today with the headline, “How to survive a mass shooting”. To me that insinuates that nothing significant will be done re. gun control legislation, that more massacres will occur, get used to it, life in America.

• February 24, 2013 at 9:09 am

“How to survive a mass shooting”? What a depressing headline, Dotster.

February 24, 2013 at 9:16 am

It’s also an irresponsible headline. No one can ever “prepare” to survive such an event. What a complete and utter waste of mental space and valuable time if we left our homes each day “preparing” to survive a mass shooting. This is not like a hurricane or natural disaster, or a cold/flu. Each situation and circumstances are very different and most shooters select environments where their targets are captive. Is this newspaper being lobbied by the NRA? Was part of their “advice” to arm yourself with a gun/weapon?

• 119 99ts
      February 24, 2013 at 9:19 am

It is enough that we have guidelines on how to survive natural disasters – floods, fire, storms, hurricanes etc – and many of the suggestions have saved lives (mine included when driving on roads in flood/storm areas) – but I find it perhaps more sad than anything else that an article on surviving a mass shooting could ever be written.

12. February 24, 2013 at 9:10 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers and everyone. Positive and healing thoughts go out to Roberta for today and coming week.

13. 123 yardarm756
    February 24, 2013 at 9:22 am

Good morning mates.

14. 130 Dudette
    February 24, 2013 at 9:24 am

• February 24, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I lasted exactly nine seconds on “upwithchris” this morning, and that was only by accident because when I turned on the TV, it was on MSNBC. I tuned in to hear some idiot lambasting the President for not being “bi-partisan” in an attempt to end the sequester, and I couldn’t get to the remote fast enough to change the channel. It’s ridiculous, and not good for one’s blood pressure.

15. 132 Jovie
    February 24, 2013 at 9:30 am

Mike Rodgers, cyber security, we are not safe, we are doomed, the Chinese is going to kill us all, the Wh is not doing anything about cyber security…

Really? The WH just issued an Cyber-security executive order because the fucking congress could not agree. And why? Freedom!

You see Rodgers put that out there, in case something happens, congress will not be blamed.
    The GOP, the party of projection.

16. 133 JER
    February 24, 2013 at 9:31 am

17. 141 jackiegrumbacher
    February 24, 2013 at 9:38 am

Last week I was in a meeting when an older man (a Dem) said that PBO should speak to the public more often, ala FDR’s fireside chats on the radio. He said he heard that the president gives weekly addresses, but he never sees them because he doesn’t use a computer and it’s not on the radio or any tv station he can find. Of course, I told him about the Fireside Hangout and all the many speeches PBO gives in any week, but he said he never hears any of it because he doesn’t use a computer. He asked if anyone else in the room besides me heard the weekly addresses and not one person raised his/her hand. Even those with computers don’t go out of their way to “find” the weekly addresses.
    At first I thought it was amusing that people were still looking to old-fashioned technology as a regular source of information about the president, but then I wondered why should it be so difficult for the computer illiterate to know what their president says. With all our media possibilities–endless channels, countless print outlets and AM./FM radio why isn’t there a weekly time slot for the addresses or a newspaper section where the president’s weekly addresses are regularly printed. Does anybody know of a non computer outlet where people can get the president’s remarks. Telling some people to go to Whitehouse.gov is like asking them to sign up for the next space flight. And yet many of these same people, who never see or hear what the president says, worked hard for him in the election and support him.

• February 24, 2013 at 9:45 am

During the election I printed a newsletter for supporters in my area and people loved it. But I traveled a lot and then moved to a red state…aargh!! Perhaps each chapter can look into something like that.

• 143 japa21
      February 24, 2013 at 9:45 am

I have heard his addresses on the radio but it isn’t easily promoted. I think the WH should be able to provide a list of radio stations that air them.

• February 24, 2013 at 10:09 am

I think you should tweet Jay and Macon Phillips (Director of New Media) with your question:

@macon44
      @PressSec

Macon is very responsive.

• 146 globalcitizenlinda
      February 24, 2013 at 10:10 am

Have you considered sending this concern to the White House communications team?

Because most of them are probably computer wizards, it may not have occured to them that many in their consituence are in the dark.

Please send them this exact message and someone may find a way to remedy this

• 147 utaustinliberal
      February 24, 2013 at 10:36 am

Tweet and write a letter to the white house. This is very important and something that they would be thankful to look into.

Tweet:

@PressSec (Jay Carney)

@Macon44 (Macon Phillips)

@Brundage44 (Amy Brundage)

@Whitehouse

@Pfeiffer44 (Dan Pfeiffer)

@JesseCLee44 (Jesse Lee)

@JEarnest44 (Josh Earnest)

@VJ44 (Valerie Jarrett)

• February 24, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Important issue, Jackie. Perhaps each State OFA could devise ways to ensure the President’s messages and Whitehouse.gov info are conveyed to constituents who don’t use computers.

Yes We Can

18. 152 Bill
    February 24, 2013 at 9:41 am

On MTP Harold Ford, Jr. just said he agrees with Peggy Noonan more than she realizes. He went on to say the Keystone pipeline needs to be approved. And he is there to represent Democrats.

February 24, 2013 at 9:49 am

Harold Ford Jr. is a disgrace to us, his race and the Democratic Party.

• 154 Jovie
      February 24, 2013 at 9:49 am

He is there to represent what his own stocks are. Big oil, big health industry, etc!
      It is evident he has many stocks and is a spokesperson for these industries.
      And he has a gigantic ego, much like Booker.

• 155 Bill
        February 24, 2013 at 9:58 am

You are correct, Jovie. He used to work for Merrill Lynch and now works for Morgan Stanley. which is never mentioned.

• 156 dotster3
      February 24, 2013 at 9:49 am

And then he hopped into his waiting limo and was off to the Waldorf-Astoria for brunch. As usual.

• February 24, 2013 at 9:53 am

Harold Ford makes me weary and I refuse to even acknowledge Peggy “I live for Ronald Reagan” Noonan. What is the advantage to the United States to build a pipeline to the Gulf in order to ship the product to foreign countries?

• February 24, 2013 at 10:34 am

there are 40+ members of the Congressional Black Caucus…not that I’m their biggest fan, but at least they are ELECTED OFFICIALS.

Ford is a waste of space.

19. 159 japa21
    February 24, 2013 at 9:42 am

20. 160 Jovie
    February 24, 2013 at 9:46 am

This is like what happened in the Government shutdowns during the Clinton years.
    People just take the Federal Government fir granted and hear all sorts of evil stuff about the Federal Government.
    Let them be without services for a couple of weeks, see how they fare.
    It also makes GOP think twice about closing the entire government on march 27th, you know, the day the government runs out of money.
    This next week, is the whole ball of wax and how well the democrats and the President communicates to the People, will decide what role Government plays going forward.

21. February 24, 2013 at 9:54 am

Morning Chips, TOD…..

22. February 24, 2013 at 9:56 am

23. February 24, 2013 at 9:58 am

February 24, 2013 at 10:00 am

So Chris Hayes is negatively questioning PBO’s decision to give an interview to the Tom Joyner Morning Show. And folks on Twitter are mighty pissed about Hayes’ attitude, so much so that the story got chirpified.

• 173 Don
      February 24, 2013 at 10:15 am

Chris Hayes can’t understand why President Obama would not want to spend the afternoon being regaled by Hayes’ political machinations.

• 174 theo67
        February 24, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Just one of a million reasons why Chris Hayes will never be President, and one of a billion reasons why his name won’t be noted in history; it will just be in the footnotes that there was a gang of harping idiots who nipped at the President’s ankles throughout his presidency. See President Lincoln’s biographies for examples.

• 175 globalcitizenlinda
      February 24, 2013 at 10:18 am

does Hayes even know WHO Tom Joyner is?

does Hayes know the role Tom Joyner plays in uplifting the community he serves and how much people treasure his contribution?

does he even know that TJMS has an audience of more than 8 million unaplogetic PBO supporters?

February 24, 2013 at 10:59 am

All he knows is that Joyner is Black and is also supportive of PBO. That automatically gets a side glance from the Librul media folk.

25. 178 Don
    February 24, 2013 at 10:01 am

What is going on here with all of these pundits is “let me show the black guy how to run a country.” Everyone is an expert on any given project that President Obama works on, forget the fact that every project that President Obama works on he has at his disposal the top experts in that field. With all of the legislative accomplishments President Obama has achieved, in their eyes he still needs to be told what to do and how to do it. Chris Hayes, Ezra Klein, and Rachel Maddow and their ilk would never assume that they knew more than a Bill Clinton, but with President Obama they seem to think that they know more than President Obama. I can understand if a John McCain or Huckleberry Closetcase assumed that they were smarter than President Obama because quite frankly as much as I might not like saying it, they both have earned the right to assume that they know more than President Obama. I’m not worried about McCain and Huckleberry because they are dinosaurs, and like dinosaurs you can see them coming a mile away. It is these new kids on the block that worry me the most with their self-importance and absolutist positions.

• February 24, 2013 at 10:09 am

Because he is a Kenyan who only got into school because of affirmative action, was probably a mediocre student and still hasn’t learned how to be an American. They are sick, Don!!

26. 180 Dudette
    February 24, 2013 at 10:07 am

• 181 a4alice
      February 24, 2013 at 11:30 am

Edward Almos who was great in so many different roles will now forever be Admiral Adama for me. “So say we all.” :-)

27. 182 dotster3
    February 24, 2013 at 10:09 am

Oh, others have noticed?—–that the media loves a Dem who criticizes Obama. Or any black person of either party who is willing to criticize Obama. These juicy finds will be swooped up within hours, possibly minutes, for appearances on the teevee to blast away.

28. February 24, 2013 at 10:16 am

Is it my imagination or are there more Dems showing up on these show now? I don’t watch any of them, just read the guest lists posted here, but it seems as though they are not being outnumbered 40 to 1 the way they were last year.

February 24, 2013 at 10:20 am

30. 199 globalcitizenlinda
    February 24, 2013 at 10:25 am

I wish people in the MSM knew that the black individuals they hold in high esteem & constantly give a platform to bash PBO (e.g. Tavis Smiley, Cornell West, Harold Ford etc..) do not hold any sway or credibility in the black community.

instead the people many dispise such as Rev Al, Tom Joyner, Joe Madison, M Baisden (and others on urban radio) are the ones regular folks listen to because they demonstrate a genuine desire to address the concerns individuals face in their day-to-day lives

• February 24, 2013 at 10:37 am

You must remember that these are people who thought they would have won if only they had put Condoleeza Rice on the ticket.

• 201 Don
        February 24, 2013 at 11:04 am

You are so right; I had a white conservative co-worker actually print out Herman Cain’s resume and hand to me to read. Of course I threw it in the trash can right in front of him and asked him why he thought I would vote for Cain. My co-worker had no answer; he just assumed that I would vote for any old black guy. I told him Cain was a know-nothing asshole and I wouldn’t vote for him to be dog catcher. From that moment on, my co-worker and I only talk about sports.

• 202 theo67
      February 24, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I don’t think they are really paying these black people to convince other black people to be against the President. It simply makes the racists feel better, because they can point and say, “see, I’m not racist! Even black people have a problem with President Obama”.

Most black people aren’t stupid like that.

31. February 24, 2013 at 10:32 am

32. February 24, 2013 at 10:46 am

33. 206 yardarm756
    February 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

An 80-year-old man is having his annual checkup. The doctor asks him how he’s feeling. “I’ve never felt better,” he replies. “I’ve got an 18-year-old bride and she’s having my baby! What do you think about that?”

The doctor considers this for a moment then “Well let me you a story I know a guy who’s an avid hunter. He never misses a season. But one day he’s in a bit of a hurry and he accidentally grabs his umbrella instead of his gun. So, he’s walking in the woods near the creek, and suddenly he spots a beaver in the brush in front of him. He rises up his umbrella, points it at the beaver and squeezes the handle. BAM! The beaver drops dead in front of him.”

“That’s impossible!” says the old man in disbelief,” “someone else must have shot the beaver!”

“Bingo!” says the doctor

34. February 24, 2013 at 10:59 am

So what time does David Gregory join host John McCain on “Meet The Press?” @@

February 24, 2013 at 11:04 am

A video clip of First Lady Michelle Obama grooving with a dressed-in-drag Jimmy Fallon on his late-night comedy talk show has gone viral on YouTube.

In the video, the pair, each clad in conservative slacks and cardigans, and Fallon with a long brown-haired wig, perform a routine dubbed “Evolution of Mom Dancing,” to promote Obama’s “Let’s Move!” youth fitness and nutrition campaign.

The clip, which has already been viewed more than 850,000 times since being posted Friday and “liked” more than 11,000 times, has prompted effusive comments about the first lady and her first family.

“For the first time… we have a first lady with soul,” wrote zestydude87.

And Rina Lubit wrote, “it may be just me but i really love the presidential family. they just really seem like sincerely good and chill people.”

Obesity is a major health problem in the United States, where one in three adults and almost one in five children is overweight.

Among other initiatives for “Let’s Move,” the first lady, an attorney by training, has planted the White House’s first garden since World War II and written a book with healthy recipes

February 24, 2013 at 11:05 am

37. 215 Don
    February 24, 2013 at 11:07 am

I’m in love with Ray Lahood!

38. 216 japa21
    February 24, 2013 at 11:11 am

February 24, 2013 at 11:11 am

Why Sequestration May Not Actually Reduce America’s Deficit

February 24, 2013 at 11:23 am

May have to tape 60 Minutes tonight….Navy Seal that shot OBL is on talking about the raid..

41. 221 donna dem 4 obama
    February 24, 2013 at 11:29 am

Happy Sunday TOD’ers

It’s the Governors Ball at the WH Day. I hope we get pics of FLOTUS is whatever spectacular gown she wears tonight.

Roberta you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Ted Cruz is a slimy, worthless piece of $***. That. Is. All.

You all have a great Productive O’Day!!!

February 24, 2013 at 11:32 am

Ron Fournier – Jackass extraordinaire – thinks he’s smart. In the days when everything one does in public and sometimes private is recorded, he thinks he can get away with BS.

43. 224 Jovie
    February 24, 2013 at 11:51 am

Tom Coburn says that the Senators are not close on gun control bill.
    He is one of the reasons Congress is broken?
    Says no to everything… Who cares if he is nicer than Demint, he votes just like him?

• February 24, 2013 at 12:27 pm

That’s what these creeps would do. They burn all kinds of time pretending things are getting done, then when announcements emerge that they’re nearing an agreement, someone always steps up to say something is a deal-breaker…that’s in order to stop progress. Coburn can afford to be the obstructionist because he’s leaving, but this is their modus operandi. They will do it with immigration and everything else. They’re just burning time so “nothing” can get done. Several Republicans have stepped forward to support Hagel…don’t be surprised if someone insists on putting a hold on his nomination.

44. 226 CarolMaeWY
    February 24, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Are any of you getting lots of emails like this? By opening this message, you have taken the first step toward improving your future. I will show you how you can walk less than 50 feet to work. They started coming after the election. I’m worried about some teap getting my email. I never open them and put them in junk, but they keep coming. Just wondering. . .

45. 227 CarolMaeWY
    February 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm

What an an offer, eh.
    You’ve been selected to begin receiving up to
    $4,387.12/month with our automated system,
    starting today.
    Damn junk. Wish I could block it. Probably can on PC.
    I’m getting a laptop I think. What do TOD Villagers use? Thanks.

RSS OFA