Mar

Leadership Is Action

Smartypants: Why President Obama Wants A Grand Bargain

A couple of weeks ago at his press conference, President Obama called the sequester cuts that just went into effect – providing an additional $1.2 trillion in savings – “dumb.” The reason he said that is because they don’t tackle the one thing that is driving those upward spikes…health care costs.

While the Affordable Care Act was an historic step toward getting health care costs under control, there is still more that we can do to realize efficiencies, cut waste, and improve Federal health care programs. Most importantly, we can make modest adjustments to strengthen Medicare and Medicaid in a way that does not undermine the fundamental compact they represent to our nation’s seniors, children, people with disabilities, and low-income families. For this reason, the President’s Plan for Economic Growth and Deficit Reduction included proposals to save approximately $320 billion in federal health spending over the next decade. As these reforms save money, they also will strengthen these vital programs so that they are robust and healthy to serve Americans for years to come…

Read more here: http://immasmartypants.blogspot.com/2013/03/why-president-obama-wants-grand-bargain.html

******

Steve Benen: Boehner Still Waiting For Others To Lead.

When it comes to power in Washington, John Boehner isn’t exactly a hapless schlub, at least not on paper. He’s the Speaker of the House, second in the presidential line of succession, and ostensibly the most powerful member of the legislative branch of government. He has a powerful megaphone, a sizable House majority, and the capacity to have an enormous impact on policymaking.

Left unsaid: John Boehner, despite his power and authority, isn’t leading, doesn’t want to lead, has no intention of leading, and doesn’t even know how to lead — which is precisely why he keeps waiting for the White House and Senate to do the real work while Boehner waits patiently (or as evidenced by this op-ed, perhaps not so patiently) on the sidelines.

Let’s make this easy for the Speaker: (1) Name one budget issue on which you and your party are prepared to compromise; (2) Name one concession you and your party are willing to accept in exchange for a related Democratic concession.

Read more here: http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/03/14/17314069-boehner-still-waiting-for-others-to-lead?lite

******

180 Responses to “Leadership Is Action”

1. 1 Roberta in MN
    March 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm

HI UT

2. 6 Proud Former White House Intern
    March 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Hey guys!

3. 7 susanne
    March 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm

aloha oe obamadons!

March 14, 2013 at 7:05 pm

We have a triple tie! Congratulations Roberta, Proud Former White House Intern, and Susanne. Here’s Justin Timberlake “Pusher Love Girl” as a prize. :D

5. 18 Roberta in MN
    March 14, 2013 at 7:05 pm

UT it is nice you are one of the posters here at TOD. Chips has selected quite an intellectual group to write and post. SO glad I read this blog first thing in the morning. Shout out to CHIPS.

• 19 utaustinliberal
      March 14, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Thank you so much for the kind words Roberta and thanks again to Chipsticks because she does all this hard work yet makes it look so easy.

• 20 Betsy
        March 14, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I add my thanks to you as we’ll, along with LL, Amk and Lovelyplains. I really appreciate all that you are doing for Chips and us.

• 21 nathkatun7
      March 14, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Amen, Roberta! As always, I am coming here late as I had to work, but I deeply appreciate Utaustinliberal, Lovely Plains, AMK and Liberal Librarian for stepping up to help our great Chips. As tech illiterate, I am completely in awe of the many talented and tech savvy people at TOD.

6. March 14, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Roberta, Proud, Susanne! Nice triad there kids… Had a feeing a new thread was on the way, got distracted out in the webz…. Hey everyone!

March 14, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Pres. Obama had a sit down interview today with an Israeli news network ahead of his upcoming visit to Israel. You can watch it here:

8. 26 susanne
    March 14, 2013 at 7:15 pm

ut, great post up top! love the ‘pro and con’ poster–so exactly right. thanks for keeping us rolling here!

March 14, 2013 at 7:16 pm

When UT first announced that she was working on a new thread around 6:30-ish, I had claimed 1st in my mind right there. But, like a good teammate, I will concede to Roberta, PFWHI and Susanne and congratulate them all on 1st-place tie! :) :)

• 28 utaustinliberal
      March 14, 2013 at 7:18 pm

You know you’re number one in all our hearts. :D

• March 14, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Ditto, though I missed the 6:30 teaser… I read UT’s comment about getting it ready, thought I might as well be first, but then I forgot! Hee!

March 14, 2013 at 7:20 pm

LOL! Regardless, you still remain thus the Mighty One.

• March 14, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Oh, HF, I so like the sound of that…. Today is my one week anniversary, you know, and I am growing more comfortable by the day with this whole new area of unlimited consciousness…. Still humble, though, hope to never lose that or I might have to change political parties, and that simply will not do! ;)

• March 14, 2013 at 9:37 pm

We can’t afford to lose you to that dastardly crowd, MightyPamela. And we’d never let that happen to you, either. That’s just too cruel!

10. March 14, 2013 at 7:20 pm

11. March 14, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Well said! Thanks for all your valuable posts and tweets, UT!

12. 37 Ladyhawke
    March 14, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Elizabeth Warren May Get Some Help Taking On ‘Too Big To Jail’ Banks — From Conservatives

• 38 utaustinliberal
      March 14, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Ladyhawke, thank you so much for the Steve Benen article you provided in the other thread that gave me the idea for this new thread.

Your commentary, articles, and links are so valuable.

Thank you again. :)

13. March 14, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Agree with Steve, it is an interesting read and this is the final paragraph:

“Politics is the art of the possible. Given the current makeup of our government, it isn’t possible to do everything simply by raising taxes, no matter how much we liberals may prefer it. It is, however, possible to strike a grand bargain that raises some taxes and makes the tax code more progressive, allows us to make critical investments, and even strengthen the social safety net, albeit at the cost of a benefit growing slightly less rapidly than before. If our goal is to advance the progressive agenda and not just the progressive ideology, if our goal is to move forward and not just call ourselves progressives who stand in progress’s way, then the grand bargain falls heavily on the side of a responsible, active government that has a role in defining the ladder of opportunity and not just in getting out of the way. We can move the ball forward through the Grand Bargain. But to do that, we must leave behind the Great Progressive ResistanceTM.”

#TrustBarack …. He’s Earned It

14. 45 Gazelle
    March 14, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Is anyone as bone tired of the 24/7 TV coverage of cpac as I am? I’m @ the point of who cares what these effers talk about, just go back to your kennels, & can someone padlock said kennels?

Phew! I feel better now! Thanks for allowing me to vent, now am going up to enjoy yet another lovely thread. Thanks UT.

• March 14, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Gazelle, my view of CPAC (which I would not waste 1 nanosecond watching) is that it is a treasure trove of YouTube video that we will make ample use in 2014.

Moreover, if we thought the GOP Presidential primary of 2011-12 were mean, stupid & crazy, 2015-2016 is likely to be breathtaking in its assault on our sensibilities, as well as, the well-being of most Americans.

We must prevail.

• 47 carolyn
        March 14, 2013 at 7:56 pm

ABC News didn’t have one word about CPAC. It is not actually news; it is a performance.

However, I’m sure youtube will preserve these antics and be used in forthcoming campaigns as Bobfr stated. Just thankful I didn’t have to listen to it on the evening news.

• March 14, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Though I was on the phone w/my mother’s sitter, I was trying to watch/pay attention to the CBS News and I don’t think they mentioned CPAC either. Anyone see NBC? I’m betting they did. Can anyone confirm??

• 50 Gazelle
        March 14, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Bobfr, thank you! I’m surely going to view their garbage as material against them in 2014! Yes! Jeebus, they, & inadvertently the MSM, sure produced enough oppo research material in just the last 2 days. :)

15. 51 Ladyhawke
    March 14, 2013 at 7:29 pm

“PAUL RYAN’S HOCUS POCUS BUDGET”

Dems Go After ‘Hocus Pocus’ In Ryan Budget

By SAHIL KAPUR

—————————–

Senate Democrats issued a report Thursday seeking to highlight dubious arithmetic in the budget proposal unveiled this week by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI).

The memo — cheekily titled “Paul Ryan’s Hocus Pocus Budget” with a photo of a magician on the cover — shines a light on five problematic elements of Ryan’s plan. It offers a glimpse into how Senate Democrats will seek to discredit Ryan’s proposal as they advance their first budget resolution in four years, which does not purport to balance the federal budget but seeks to lower and stabilize the deficit in the long term.

————————————-

16. March 14, 2013 at 7:46 pm

This is immature, no doubt, but I REALLY don’t want to see boner or any other reffugish, teabaggish miscreants depicted in the iconic Shepard Fairey tones and style. It’s reserved for President Barack Obama. For fun we can mimic it with piss yellow and crap brown colors for the others……..

17. 56 Gazelle
    March 14, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Mistake: having Tweety show on as background noise while making dinner. Lawd, these talking heads don’t make sense to me. Why equate PBO’s election w/ the Pope’s? Maybe a TODer can help me w/ my angst?

March 14, 2013 at 8:24 pm

The media is so supremely obsessed with PBO that they will drag him in to every event, no matter how unrelated.

• 58 susanne
      March 14, 2013 at 8:26 pm

turn off the teevee, my dear! now play some sweet music, pour yourself a glass of wine, and enjoy your dinner. :)

• 59 Nena20409
      March 14, 2013 at 8:29 pm

He was saying that the Pope is the First from the Americas. In this case, South America. The 1st Jesuit.

Tweety can be mad. There is no comparison. There was a Black Pope and supposedly a female Pope. Chris Matthews many times says the darnest things.

And like Matthews, I am a Roman Catholic too. I was not a happy camper at Matthew’s nonsense.

• March 14, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Gazelle, the angst can be greatly alleviated by the use of the Power Off button on the remote control! Also, much better for food preparation not to be listening to that crap, as the bad energy can penetrate into the food and create a toxic atmosphere in the digestive tract.

• 61 Gazelle
        March 15, 2013 at 12:48 am

I switched off my teevee and you’re right about cooking and having good energy. I make amazing dishes, with love, when I get into my zone, with beautiful music, it’s all yum. At least that’s what I’m told by fam & friends as they attempt conversation while eating. The best gift, when you’ve cooked the amazing, is this absolute silence at the dinner table and all are just eating away & don’t want to talk until their plates are empty. Cool feeling for the chef!

The funny thing is, I don’t cook via recipes, and can’t tell my friends how I did a particular dish. Each time, same dish, is just simply diffeent, has a slight twist, flavor, something. It’s always about the zone I’m in. And that’s why it’s important to switch off talking heads. Making a meal should be spiced w/ love & joy.

I’m very ecletic in my music. That’s why I have such fun here at TOD (shout out for Dudette, Yardarm, I know I’m missing another TODer — forgive me for now, OK? It’s been a heck of a day!).

{{{Luv&Hugs}}}

• March 15, 2013 at 1:19 pm

{{{{{{love and hugs back!}}}}}}} I just love hearing this, vibration cooking is always the best, as it comes from your Heart center, and when we dwell there, we seldom err! :) Thank you for replying, I had hoped I wasn’t hurting your feelings with my comment! :)

18. March 14, 2013 at 7:55 pm

If any of you follow Matthew Keys on twitter, he appears to be in some trouble:

19. March 14, 2013 at 8:01 pm

What a tiresome and useless appendage John Boehner is to the Government of the United States. Prefers to be reactive instead of proactive. Makes it easy to blame everyone else.

20. 66 yardarm756
    March 14, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Another bullet for Cruz.

• 70 Nena20409
      March 14, 2013 at 8:24 pm

The race angle, 1001% correct.

Clinton was called a murderer. Jerry Farewell was selling VHS tapes on C-SPAN and Brian Lamb was the Host on C-SPAN Wash Journal. Clinton was accused of murdering the guy that Killed himself in DC, his AR long time friend. Clinton was impeached.

The media could not have enough. The media asked Clinton if he was still relevant. Clinton was called a Communist and a draft dodger.

The ONLY difference here is the Color of Pres Obama’s skin. That is ALL they see. That is all they care about. That is all that is in them. Pure Bigotry. Pure hate. For they have NOTHING else but bigotry.

Last.

I have to say that whoever photoshopped and made the president White, I find it off. Not Right for had his skin color be darkened, many would find that Totally offensive.

The photo-shopper…..if I can coin that phrase, should have made his/her point without defacing this president. I have seen enough of that from the teabaggers that would last me for eternity.

March 14, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Nena I don’t quite understand the point you were making about Clinton. You seem to be saying that Clinton, a white President got treated just as badly as PBO who is black. But because Obama is Black, we will label the mistreatment bigotry, whereas it’s not with Clinton?

My argument is that Clinton did NOT get treated as badly in the media as Obama – considering how disciplined Obama is relative to Clinton. Clinton’s approvals were generally higher than PBO’s throughout his Presidency with a few exceptions. If Obama was ever caught with his pants down in the oval office, he would be not only impeached, but his entire legacy would be erased. He would NOT leave the oval office with a 60%+ approval rating as Clinton did.

• 72 Nena20409
          March 14, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Clinton was treated badly just like pres Obama in the press. Clinton used his war-room to fight. Pres Obama has just taken a different approach. Kindness. It has ONLY emboldened these Journos and the TBGOPers. Being the 1st African American has unearth the subconscious embedded bigotry in these 98% Journos covering pres Obama and the TBGOPers, many with bigoted feelings already.

The ONLY difference is the Bigotry by the Journos and the TBGOPers.. Pres Obama doesn’t have the baggage that Clinton had, womanizing, and the Lewinsky Blow at the WH. Clinton gave them an excuse for their behavior. President Obama didn’t have a baggage that they can shew at. So they Cling to bigotry. That is what I am saying.

March 14, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Okay I see what you are saying. Yes, the MSM has always been generally hostile to DEM Presidents and Clinton got a lot of crap. But a lot of the issues with scrutiny of PBO’s vacation, weekend activities, birth cert, etc. did not happen with Clinton. And while the PL seems to be unhappy with PBO despite DADT repeal, bringing war to end, medicaid expansion, etc., they seem willing to forgive Clinton for DADt, DOMA, Repeal of Glass-steagal, NAFTA, etc.

• 74 Nena20409
              March 14, 2013 at 11:51 pm

I was not around during FDR nor during LBJ. But those to FDR’s left didn’t like him either. They do today. They still dislike LBJ. PL if I can call them that from yesteryears cared less for LBJ and FDR. Clinton they love today for hating pres Obama is what they find comfort in. Years from now, Pres Obama will be praised and they will chew on another Dem POTUS. What counts most is History and doing the right thing when the need is there. The rest would take care of itself.

In USA, People of color and Women in certain jobs are asked to go beyond anything ever asked of a White male. Pres Obama, that Goodness is a man comfortable in his own skin. He has the patience of JOB from the Bible. In the end, he knows that Victory is his.

• March 14, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I think Clintons approval ratings were higher because the economy was doing much better, we had a real estate boon, a dot-com boon and both were about to go bust, but for the most part during Clinton’s rein as president the only thing that saved him was a “good” economy and there was plenty of jobs. The GOP run media hates Obama because he has NO vises they can exploit. He is a family man, he’s a good and honest human being and if he were white they would still go after him because he is a DEMOCRAT. The GOP run media will exploit the “spend and tax” democrat meme because it has been engrained in their psyche while the republicans are the biggest spenders of all time. If President Obama were republican he would be celebrated NO MATTER what color he was. He would be their golden boy as long as he played by their rules of cutting taxes and giving tax breaks to the 1%.

• 76 yardarm756
        March 14, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I concur just don’t shoot the messenger please. ;-)

• 77 Nena20409
          March 14, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Never Yardam ;) You are a great soul. I was just expressing myself, knowing that you would see it for what it is, Nena, expressing herself to a trusted TODer. ;)

• 79 susanne
      March 14, 2013 at 8:29 pm

yikes! this is too creepy. :eek:

• March 14, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Our President is just perfect, and utterly handsome EXACTLY the way he is, no improvement can be made. (this is really eff’ing ugly) …

• 81 cman
      March 14, 2013 at 9:03 pm

No offense to anyone. But he does not look as handsome anymore like that.

• March 14, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Why that hair? They couldn’t give him better hair?? The whole thing is too ridiculous.

• 89 Gazelle
      March 15, 2013 at 1:47 am

Oh noes, Yardarm!! That’s a freaking nightmare. Sorry cpac/msm, We The Poeple love our POTUS! Get it. The end, Your End. Thank. You. Very. Much!

I’ll just let Gil Scott-Heron do his thing {{luv}}:

21. March 14, 2013 at 8:26 pm

22. March 14, 2013 at 8:27 pm

• 92 carla4obama
      March 14, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Karzai is a thief. He has taken billions of dollars, and spread it to his closest members (political and family).
      No one trusts him and for good reason. I still remember his comments about Sarah Palin when she was running for V.P. How she was such an attractive woman and all. He is small minded…he is not a leader…he is what is a true “TAKER”.

23. 94 Asher in Boston
    March 14, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Good job, UT. Thanks for helping out. If I may, do you guys also get to give out a pic prize for the 1st poster? I haven’t seen them in a while. It always made me smile when all got so excited about the pic prizes.

24. 95 Vicki
    March 14, 2013 at 8:50 pm

The Progressive Left is setting us up to be disappointed with PBO again. I am not going to fall for it.

These same folks bellyached throughout the health care debate and I doubt that some of them see even now how ignorant their point of view was.
    If you don’t believe me ask any of them to explain what the MLR is. (Most of us who love POTUS may still not get the elegance of the deal he cut but we give our President the benefit of the doubt!)
    99% of the country doesn’t get how genius the Medical Loss Ratio provision is.
    It will eventually put the worst profiteers from the insurance business out of business. Wait and see.

So now again the same kvetching handwringing concern trolling. YUCK!!

Maybe I have a doubt or some confusion about the chained CPI but I am going to trust in the same wonderful President who has taken us this far and i hope at least some of the doubters will think twice this time and not damage our team.

March 14, 2013 at 8:58 pm

March 14, 2013 at 8:59 pm

• March 14, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I think we all realize how much danger he clearly realized he would be placing himself and his family. He really is a courageous person and I hope no harm comes to him and those he loves.

#FORWARD

March 14, 2013 at 9:03 pm

28. 101 Vicki
    March 14, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Ed ended his program with class. He encouraged us to watch Chris hayes and definitely stirred up my enthusiasm for his new show. Anyone else see this? What did you think?

• March 14, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I dont always agree with Ed but he is passionate about his beliefs and his work and is a dedicated family man. I remember the work he did with Keith Olberman when they used to hold those Health Care events. We can’t agree with every one but disagreeing helps us to define our own values. I can respect him. Loved his sign off. He will make his time slot work.

• March 14, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Yes, I did…only segment I watched. On same subject, after reading earlier Donna Dems email exchange with Ed, I remembered I had a similar experience after sending a critical emai to him, but my nasty reply was not from Ed but from Homie. If I remember correctly, I responded “Truth hurts, huh?”. That was the end of our exchange.

• March 14, 2013 at 10:14 pm

After all Ed Shultz still has his radio show during the week. Maybe he wants to spend more time with his wife, who knows, but I will not watch Chris Hayes nor Ezra Klein if they get their own shows. I don’t watch LO on Fridays because of Ezra.

March 14, 2013 at 9:32 pm

No I will not support Chris Hayes. I feel that MSNBC should have given that time slot to Joy Reid, but they don’t have the sense or guts to to do. I might check Ed out on the week-ends, but I will fine something else to watch week nights at 8p.m.

• 107 theo67
      March 15, 2013 at 12:46 am

I have absolutely no intention of watching Chris Hayes after he’s given so much air time to people who simply exist to bash the President.

• 108 Bill R.
      March 15, 2013 at 1:37 am

Chris Heyes is a jerk, and is not going to change his stripes. Not interested.

29. 109 yardarm756
    March 14, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Water works as I pen this.

30. 111 lamh36
    March 14, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Ugh, Ted Cruz is a complete ass and Lord knows I’m not a violent person, but if someone took it upon himself to cold-clock ole Teddy “McCarthy” Cruz.

Whatever you think of DiFi, the way Cruz talked down to her like she was his “lil woman” in today’s hearing was despicable and should make any woman, no matter what your politics, pretty darn well PO’ed.

Maddow is exactly right, the go to thing for sexist pigs like Cruz when they lose an argument to a woman is to make illusions of the woman being hysterical and emotional rather than factual.

Ugh!

BTW, DiFi totally PWNED Cruz and that’s why he went for the easy “don’t get so hysterical you emotional woman” route in response to what DiFi said.

31. 112 auni
    March 14, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Lovely Plains–the picture of our military guy holding the child broke my heart the first time I saw it–and now it did it again. Do you know anything about that shot, or what happened to the child?

32. March 14, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Miss you guys! Every one who is doing the tough stuff is great. Happy for Chips. My iPad is dyeing and will be out of touch a day or two. I’ll miss you.

33. 116 anniebella
    March 14, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Rachel Maddow said that it took that gunman 5 minutes to kill those 20 kids and 6 teachers in Newton, Conn. Five minutes, think about that. Don’t tell me that you value life, then you don’t give a dam that those babies you fought to have life, their life were taken away because you are a bunch of dam cowards to the NRA.

• March 14, 2013 at 10:14 pm

That segment????? Just have no words to express how I felt…..well, sick and angry. ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 118 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        March 14, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Right (as in correct) thinking people are sickened and angry; however, that story will have absolutely no impact on gun-nuts and rwnj’s. I think we need an “Emmett Till” moment. As painful as it would be, imagine the impact if those parents were to stand on the steps of Congress with poster size photos of mangled bodies. I’d dare any congresscritter to then vote against gun safety laws.

34. 120 anniebella
    March 14, 2013 at 10:21 pm

So O’Donnell will tell us about the Republican who said that it is good idea to oppose the black guy in the White House. So are they opposing the black guy policies or the fact that the guy is black?

• 121 yardarm756
      March 14, 2013 at 10:42 pm

GUESS? :-(

• 125 nathkatun7
      March 15, 2013 at 1:53 am

Only people who are in denial fail to recognize that the GOP’s relentless and vicious opposition to President Obama, which is enabled and legitimized by the MSM, is primarily about his color/race. Now it’s true that almost all U.S. Presidents, some more than others, have have faced their share of nasty attacks from their opponents. Many Presidents have been caricatured and some times called nasty names, usually by fringe elements. In the case of President Obama, it’s the respectable folks, on top of fringe elements, that consistently call him names and disrespect him in public. Witness the way that most media people and elected members of Congress, and even the so called progressives, routinely neglect (or may be it’s conscious refusal) to refer to him as President Obama. In their eyes, he is simply Obama. A black man who shouldn’t be president, but now that he is, he should still be deferent to white people, especially those in the MSM, and those in Congress. Obviously, this GOP legislator, perhaps unintentionally, slipped and told the TRUTH. What he said, however, has been plainly visible to any one with eyes to see.

• March 15, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Very well stated, as true to your thought and writing process, nathkatun. I copied and pasted this to my FB page, as I know in my own family there are several who consistently refuse to accept the reality of President Obama, will not even consider his incredible intellect and his deep concern and caring for all Americans. Thank you.

March 14, 2013 at 10:42 pm

• 128 Gazelle
      March 15, 2013 at 2:21 am

AMK, can you please not do the 2016 deadline for exiting TOD. That’s a lot of months — Jan-Dec-Jan-Dec (I’m dizzy just thinking about all those months in between). Awful winters in all hemisphers. Out. In. The. Cold. Awful summers. Out. In. The Heat.

Was that a teeny bit persuasive? Can we negotiate to at least 2017? ;)

Surely. And indeed. And also? Yup, yup! Excellent negotiation, methinks! :)

OK, //soft, TODer voice// How are you doing? :)

March 14, 2013 at 10:42 pm

March 14, 2013 at 10:45 pm

38. 142 Jovie
    March 14, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Hi-
    My dog got stung by a sting ray today, it swelled up, so I soaked it in hot water.
    And took her to doctor. They said no barns in wound, cleaned it out real good, gave her anti biotic shot and pain shot, and prescribed Pain an Anti biotic pills. She is high from the pain medication, and really drowsy now.
    I felt so bad.

Still do! :(

39. 146 yardarm756
    March 14, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Received this and thought you would enjoy it for a good laugh.

My New Car

I bought a new Kia Optima and returned to the dealer yesterday
    because I couldn’t get the radio to work.
    The salesman explained that the radio was voice activated. ‘Nelson,’ the salesman said to the radio. The radio replied, ‘Ricky or Willie?’ ‘Willie!’ he continued and ‘On The Road Again’ Came from the speakers.
    Then he said, ‘Ray Charles!’, and in an instant ‘ Georgia On My Mind’ replaced Willie Nelson.
    I drove away happy, and for the next few days, every time I’d say, ‘Johnny Mathis,’ I’d get beautiful ballads of Johnny Mathis, and if I said, ‘Temptations,’ I’d get one of their awesome songs.

Yesterday, some guy ran a red light And nearly creamed my new car, But I swerved in time to avoid him.
    I yelled, ‘Ass Hole!’ Immediately the radio responded with, Which one, Rick Perry, Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, Michele Bachmann, Ron Paul, Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, Herman Cain, or Sarah Palin?

Damn I love this car… :lol:

40. 151 GGail
    March 14, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Good West Coast evening Chipsticks & TOD family.

Way to go UT, LH & AMK,
    And as always….Bobfr

You guys are doing a marvelous job of keeping us informed – THANKS!

41. 152 Jovie
    March 14, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Ted Cruz thinks he is in DC to really stick it to the President.
    Do, with Dianne Feinstein going off on Him today, he was effectively put in his place, and by the Chairman.
    He was so emasculated! :)

42. March 14, 2013 at 11:11 pm

A little music break before I go to bed.

“Maybe you will always be / A little bit out of reach”

I present… GUSTER, “Satellite”

43. March 14, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I think it’s a wrap for me…. After many many months of ongoing dental work, it seems everything is coming back into balance, but it is tiring; and makes me even more in awe of those who have suffered much greater injury and rehabilitation for far more serious problems than mine. Goodnight all, keep the candles burning, we all need the Light. http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=PBO

44. 158 99ts
    March 14, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Late hello – did you ever have one of those days when you should have stayed in bed – that was my day – and it’s only 1.20pm in my world – sigh

Thank you for all the threads – new post people – great reading – so wishing chips a great rest time.

March 14, 2013 at 11:40 pm

BAM! Way to go VC – he posted this to elicit snarky responses and you went right above his stupid head. RT’d. Thanks! :)

March 14, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Broadcast and cable news networks have largely ignored a new report which concluded that the United States’ rebuilding efforts in Iraq squandered billions of dollars due to widespread fraud, abuse, and waste.

Last week, Stuart Bowen, the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction, released a report concluding that of the $60 billion the U.S. has spent on reconstruction projects in Iraq following the 2003 invasion, at least $8 billion of it was “wasted.”

This makes me ill. And angry. No…furious!

• 163 nathkatun7
      March 15, 2013 at 2:11 am

“This makes me ill. And angry. No…furious!” Me too, DF! This is a story that would have been covered 24/7 if what happened occurred under President Obama.

March 14, 2013 at 11:57 pm

How Many Gun Dealers Are There In Your State?
    The United States has 58,344 Federally Licensed Gun Dealers.* That’s nearly twice the number of post offices.

See how many gun dealers are in your state and share the national map with your friends and family.

March 15, 2013 at 12:10 am

If you can’t take salty language….but we’re sick to death of ‘mo sawdust!

March 15, 2013 at 12:12 am

No brainer.

50. March 15, 2013 at 12:36 am

Ok, finally going to bed after writing up a post for tomorrow. Title? “The farcical tragedy of John Boehner”.

Hasta mañana!

March 15, 2013 at 12:43 am

Novel? :) Night, LL…and thanks for helping Chips out…as well as all the special guest posters that have helped her out. Awesome job. All of you:)

51. 169 Jovie
    March 15, 2013 at 12:45 am

52. 170 yardarm756
    March 15, 2013 at 12:51 am

Taps,taps. Lights out. Maintain silence about the decks. Smoking lamp is out in all berthing spaces. Now taps.

• 171 99ts
      March 15, 2013 at 1:04 am

The day is young – I have just given up on my anger management and written a scathing letter to elected peoples about the disaster that is their transport policy in my town. They have done the 25th study in 40 years – paid millions to those consultants – and decided to reduce bus services – because they are value for money and highly used?????? Wonder what they have to be like to keep them?

53. 172 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    March 15, 2013 at 1:40 am

Story is a couple of months old, however, never too late for GOOD news…

54. 173 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    March 15, 2013 at 2:33 am

55. 174 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    March 15, 2013 at 2:41 am

56. 176 Gazelle
    March 15, 2013 at 3:23 am

Because. With love. Enjoy.

57. 177 Gazelle
    March 15, 2013 at 4:21 am

Just because it’s so much fun to watch Angelique Kidjo and Peter Gabriel get their Africa on! Love them both! And even more fun, the audience got their Africa on too! :)

Yep, I could see myself right in their midst doing my “Shay, Mama, Shay, Mama Africa!” And no, Chips, I wouldn’t have needed that green beer I thought I saw in your cupboard the other day. Uh-huh! Real beer McCoy & I might do make-believe cartwheels & sing like Kidjo in that crowd. Howzat for a good old no-challenge! :)

March 15, 2013 at 8:02 am

Apparently Rob Portman (R-Ohio) who was Romney’s surrogate and debate prep guy who was against same-sex marriage is now for it because his son told him he’s gay.

• March 15, 2013 at 8:13 am

WOW!!!!!!! Interesting, isn’t it……how they change.

• March 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm

They may scoff at the concept of Karma, but She will have her sweet Way of coming back to us. The Form she takes, well, that is up to us, isn’t it? What goes around, comes around. Many ways to say it….. Pay it Forward! I like the word Forward!