Mar

President Obama in Israel, Day One

Israeli President Shimon Peres, President Barack Obama, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during the welcoming ceremony at Ben Gurion airport, Tel Aviv, on March 20

President Obama talks with Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu as they walk across the tarmac at Ben Gurion International Airport (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama signs the guest book during his meeting with President Shimon Peres

President Obama says goodbye as he leaves his meeting with Israeli President Shimon Peres during a welcoming ceremony at the President’s residence

Netanyahu watches as his wife Sara greets President Obama at the prime minister’s residence

All times Israeli – 6 hours head of Washington, DC:

Thursday:

9:0 a.m.: President Obama visits the Israel Museum to see the Dead Sea Scrolls, tours an exhibit showcasing Israeli innovations, and meets local high-tech entrepreneurs.

11:0 a.m.: Travels to Ramallah, holds meetings with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and Prime Minister Salaam Fayyad, delivers an address to young Palestinians.

4:40 p.m.: Delivers the key public address of his visit at Jerusalem’s International Convention Center.

5:40 p.m.: Meets with US diplomatic staff at the American Consulate in Jerusalem. He then returns to the President’s Residence, where Netanyahu joins him and Peres. In a late addition to the schedule, a pre-dinner meeting has also been slotted in for the President and Israel’s new opposition leader, Labor party chair Shelly Yachimovich.

8:0 p.m.: Peres hosts President Obama for a state dinner where he will be awarded the Presidential Medal of Distinction.

Meanwhile, the really important stuff:

LovelyPlains, thank you SO much for everything today!

259 Responses to “President Obama in Israel, Day One”

March 20, 2013 at 9:10 pm

:lol:

2. 29 Allison
    March 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Excellent roundup! Thanks Chips!

3. 30 Proud Former White House Intern
    March 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Awesome

4. March 20, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I love watching President Obama on the world stage!!

5. March 20, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Lovely round-up, Chips. Thanks so much.

This was such a great day for our POTUS. He was greeted openly with dignity and respect and in some quarters, with great affection. As I listened to all the hot mic stuff live this morning, you just see how deeply generous and gracious and sweet our president is with everyone he meets. I’m sure the bilateral meetings are quite different but he is so at ease in his own skin in all of these situations, you just know he’s enjoying himself. He looked and sounded terrific every step of the way. BRAVO.

March 20, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Yes, meta, I agree. I always look for how to describe it, but we can’t say, “Oh, today, he was on top of his game,” because he’s always on top of his game. So I keep looking for another superlative for him, but let’s just say he’s on top of his game. Every fine day we wake up and he’s President, he’s on top of his game!

6. 39 proudmemberofglobalzero
    March 20, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Awesome Chips!!

March 20, 2013 at 9:19 pm

This President just makes my heart happy. I’m always proud when he represents the US on the world stage. Such grace, class and intellect.

8. March 20, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I was just filling in time until movie starts.

9. 46 vitaminlover
    March 20, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Netanyahu trying to sling that suit jacket with swag like President Obama. Can’t touch that. da na na na–na na-na. Can’t touch this da na na na-na na-nana!

• March 20, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Yep Bibi simply got no swag. It can’t be copied. POTUS is simply a very very elegant man, not to mention a very handsome one too. Bibi looking so waddly beside him. Can’t touch this!

• 48 carolyn
      March 20, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I loved that video too of Bibi trying to be like our POTUS!!! That was funny…..style, swagger, elan…..Bibi does NOT have. POTUS has them in his little finger!
      I too love to see the President on the world stage. I just suffered every time GWB left the country…..even, the White House…..for 8 years. He was a total embarrassment to the country, and our good President has spent the past four years rebuilding our ties and reputation around the world.
      I just despise our press corps. They sound so ignorant. They do not study anything about countries the President visits so they can at least ask intelligent questions. Chuck’s questions were about a 3rd grade level, in fact worse. The pitiful part is he doesn’t even know how stupid he sounds! The head honchos at NBC are indeed stupid too for sending him out of the country.
      I wrote NBC Nightly News today and said we do not ever watch their evening news any more, and that we used to be loyal viewers, but would not watch again until they got rid of Chuck Todd. I’m sure that’s not a big threat to them, but I feel we need to make our feelings known, which I am so proud of the people on this place for doing.
      Whenever I see POTUS in other countries…..or on Capitol Hill!!! I think of the line from Julius Caesar:”Why man, he doth bestride our narrow world like a colossus.” Yes, and I think that is why so many are so nasty and mean. They know it, and are eaten up with jealousy. No one was ever jealous of GWB, or even Clinton, but people sense in President Obama qualities not in themselves, so the only way they can make themselves feel better is to try go demean him. Didn’t our mothers teach us about those people???

• 49 sabreen60
        March 20, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I absolutely agree with everything you’ve written. And yes Momma taught us those lessons.

• 52 jackiegrumbacher
        March 20, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Yes, our mothers did teach us that, Carolyn. I take comfort in the fact that PBO just puts these silly characters in their place and moves on to do the real work of a great president. He knows how pitifully inadequate our press corps is, particularly when set against the thoughtful, generally well educated and well-prepared press in other countries. Other countries still try to practice real journalism, which is now virtually unknown in the US.

March 20, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Carolyn I share your sentiments. IMO the members of the press are ill-prepared re their own country and even more so when they travel. They are also ill-mannered I think, always washing the country’s ‘dirty linen’ no matter where they are, while showing little respectful awareness of their host country. And it’s not just Chuckie, I’m witnessed this over and over when I travel with Chips-Obama Travel Service.

March 20, 2013 at 11:04 pm

* … like a colossus.” Oh, carolyn, I enjoyed that. Started the day with a twitchy eye over Chuck Todd, and I’m so glad to visit TOD tonight to get my happy Obama groove back! I see poetry in President Obama’s face, and here on the blog tonight. Thanks, guys!

• March 20, 2013 at 9:47 pm

PBO has an effortless and genuine charm, magnetism, ELAN. Nobody can touch this level of sophistication, smarts, wisdom, humor, good looks. He is ULTRA cool. And it’s not forced, it’s not an act. It’s all of a piece and nobody, nobody, nobody comes close to his league. NOBODY. There is absolutely no one like BARACK OBAMA.

10. March 20, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Congrats VC! Evening Chips…..was hoping to catch up on today’s festivities, patiently waiting for you to fill me…

• 60 PoliticalJunkessa
      March 20, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I haven’t been on much lately, but when I check in, I see what a wonderful job you’ve been doing. Thanks for the awesome work!

• March 20, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Very kind of you PoliticalJunkessa, thank you….your kinds words along w/ everyone else’s makes it all the worthwhile.

• March 20, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Your work today was spectacular, LovelyPlains. Well, it’s been spectacular every day, but you put an incredible amount of work in to that Rise and Shine, so much variety, so many stories, it was a joy. Cannot thank you enough, blessed to have you on board!

• March 20, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Want to thank you again for such great posts today, LP. We really appreciate all the work you’ve put into this process.

11. 65 Nena20409
    March 20, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Congrats VC :cool: ;)

12. 66 Nena20409
    March 20, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Great Post :!:

Love it. Thank you Chips :)

13. March 20, 2013 at 9:26 pm
    March 20, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Great round up Chiparoo.

15. 69 99ts
    March 20, 2013 at 9:29 pm

What is not to love about the young fit vibrant US President. History will not be kind to the GOP nor to their water carriers.
    Thank you Chips for the pictures and all that they convey. May the US stop sending their young men to die far from home – rather may it follow PBO to a new prosperity for all.

• 70 nathkatun7
      March 20, 2013 at 10:51 pm

“History will not be kind to the GOP nor to their water carriers.”

I agree with you 100%, 99ts! The media’s visceral hatred of President Obama prevents them from dealing with the truth and reality of this phenomenal President. I was a teenager when JFK was elected President. So, I have known 10 Presidents, including President Obama. As far as I am concerned, President Obama has generated more love and respect from foreign countries than any other President, except, may be, JFK.

• 72 99ts
        March 20, 2013 at 11:47 pm

We are of an age – I was also a teenager when Kennedy was elected – although in my world at that time – Kennedy and Nixon were both seen as good options (wow – how strange) – Ike was always respected her because of “the war” & some of that probably rubbed off on Nixon. Kennedy was seen as young and vibrant but he was gone too soon to be truly evaluated. Much was made of the beauty and style of his wife – which was somewhat different to most first ladies of the past.

President Obama won part of his acclaim world wide – because he was a black man – winning the US Presidential election – no-one in my world thought it was possible. He has kept that acclaim & gained much respect when it was shown – and continues to be shown – that the opposition has little to do with policies and much to do with skin color. Kennedy was given little time to fight for those who struggle to represent themselves, Clinton, in my view, failed them when his health care imploded. President Obama is the first President since Roosevelt who has succeeded in some areas of social justice. The GOP and the media hate him for displaying their utter lack of care and compassion for the majority of US citizens.

My take – from a long way away – those who live it all the time – would know much more. There are many problems in my world – but we do have health care, safety nets – and at the minute – some control on access to guns. There are those trying to change it all – and after the next election, they most likely will be in power.

16. March 20, 2013 at 9:34 pm

O/T but important.

Dems need to mobilize behind Barbara Buono vs. Chris Christie (the only Gov race this year, I think).

I think (but am not certain) John Delcecato is part of Buono’s advertising team:

Candidate Buono was compelling when @Lawrence gave her The Last Word a couple of weeks ago.

Hanging out with TOD makes me realize how much the lazy and self-absorbed MS work to create their own narrative; it never crosses their minds as to what might be best for voters.

MSM is totally in the tank for Hillary and Chris Christie, but only because they (MSM) are open only to their own (MSM) voices.

• 74 jackiegrumbacher
      March 20, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Arapaho, I think the Virginia governor’s election is this year as well.

• March 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I think Virginia only allows their Gov one term so vaginal-probe McDonald is out too. ;)

• 76 globalcitizenlinda
      March 20, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I am not one of those who side with christie. I think he is doing all this bi-partisanship in order to save his election hoping that voters forget all his other rightwinger actions

17. 77 Lynn
    March 20, 2013 at 9:52 pm

There goes Rachel, gnawing on that same old drone bone again. Time to the switch to the diy channel while hangin’ out on the finest blog on the ‘tubes with the most generous and caring folks…you know…Real Americans who CARE!

• 78 yardarm756
      March 20, 2013 at 10:04 pm

It was quite different tonite. It was mostly about the CIA and how we got here with the drones. Quite interesting.

• 79 Lynn
        March 20, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Thanks for the update, sailor. I’ll try to watch it later. The drone business was just getting on my last nerve.

March 20, 2013 at 9:54 pm

A missionary who had spent years showing a tribe of natives how to farm and build things to be self-sufficient gets word that he is to return home.

He realizes that the one thing he never taught the natives was how to speak English, so he takes the chief and starts walking in the forest. He points to a tree and says to the chief: “This is a tree.”

The chief looks at the tree and grunts: “Tree.”

The missionary is pleased with the response.

They walk a little farther and the padre points to a rock and says: “This is a rock.”

Hearing this, the chief looks and grunts: “Rock.”

The padre is really getting enthusiastic about the results when he hears a rustling in the bushes. As he peeks over the top, he sees a couple in the midst of heavy romantic activity. The padre is really flustered and quickly responds: “Riding a bike.”

The chief looks at the couple briefly, pulls out his blow gun and kills them!

The padre goes ballistic and yells at the chief that he has spent years teaching the tribe how to be civilized and kind to each other! How could he just kill these people in cold blood that way?

The chief replied: “My bike.”

19. 84 Dudette
    March 20, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Hi everyone! I hope you are all well on this momentous day in history!
    As always Our Amazing President and his team are representing us well! Don’t it make you glad? :-D

20. 85 Dudette
    March 20, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Great roundup of the day’s events Chips! “Thank You” just doesn’t seem enough.

• March 20, 2013 at 10:06 pm

You are massively kind Dudette, but the new blog tyrants have set a standard that is severely hard to maintain! One of them will be looking after tomorrow’s Rise and Shine, I’ll be back after that with a pic or two and a heads-up or three. Awesome people!!

• 87 Dudette
        March 20, 2013 at 10:18 pm

You have chosen and trained excellent proteges to carry on your great work! That’s the mark of any great leader! :-)

• March 20, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Excuse me while I make myself more comfy on my throne! You know Dudette, I didn’t train any of the new blog tyrants, some of them had never posted on a blog before and I left them help-less while I sipped cocktails in the Caribbean (ok, I made that bit up). But they figured it out themselves in, oh, five minutes, which was REALLY annoying – seeing as I had to purchase about 87 Dummies Guides to WordPress Posting-type books to get me started. Truth is, I intensely dislike smart people, but that’s just between you and me.

March 20, 2013 at 11:05 pm

pssst! CC! May *I* borrow a couple of your Dummy Guides to WordPress Posting? The Chipadees have been so terrific I’m inspired to want to learn how, but AT MY OWN PACE. By the time I’ve borrowed all 87 I should have the hang of it.

• March 20, 2013 at 10:36 pm

It just shows how much and how hard you’ve worked on your own over the last few years. AND you have a job! And who knows what time zone you’re in! So I’m happy that you can take a breather and trust all will be well.

• 92 nathkatun7
        March 20, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Chips, I am so glad that you were able to assemble a very talented team to assist you in running this fabulous blog. LovelyPlains’ “Rise and Shine” was absolutely incredible! All of the posters you’ve selected have done a wonderful job.

• 93 99ts
      March 20, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I so agree Dudette – stops the negative me in my tracks

21. 94 cindy sweatt
    March 20, 2013 at 9:56 pm

on the last post I hadn’tseen Chuck Todd. Nowthat I have I am so angry. I will never ever watch him again. He was trying to (unsuccessfully) embarrass the President of the United States of America. He is an embarrassment to our country. I didn’t hear the answer to his stupid questions. Did anyone else?

March 20, 2013 at 9:58 pm

In honor of PBO’s israel visit. (rehashed, but what the hell)

The Pope met with the College of Cardinals to discuss a proposal from Shimon Peres, the former leader of Israel.

“Your holiness,” said one of the Cardinals, “Mr. Peres wants to determine whether Jews or Catholics are superior, by challenging you to a golf match.”

The Pope was greatly disturbed, as he had never held a golf club in his life.

“Not to worry,” said the Cardinal, “We’ll call America and talk to Jack Nicklaus. We’ll make him a Cardinal, he can play Shimon Peres. . We can’t lose!”

Everyone agreed it was a good idea. The call was made and, of course, Jack was honored and agreed to play.

The day after the match, Nicklaus reported to the Vatican to inform the Pope of his success in the match. “I came in second, your Holiness,” said Nicklaus.

“Second?!” exclaimed the surprised Pope. “You came in second to Shimon Peres?!”

“No,” said Nicklaus, “second to Rabbi Woods.”

23. 100 Dudette
    March 20, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Arrggh… my heart ACHES that I can’t attend this event at Spelman College tomorrow. Octavia was (is) one of my idols. She and Philip K. Dick are my absolute FAVORITE sci-fi authors! Whoa is me! :-( [lip dragging all the way to the floor]

Silver lining: It’s gonna be live-stream! Yippie!!! At least I can listen while I’m slaving away for “The Man.” :-D

24. 103 susanne
    March 20, 2013 at 10:03 pm

this is a hoot:

‘ Michele Bachmann tested CNN correspondent Dana Bash’s speed on Tuesday when she tried to duck questions about some false claims she made during her recent speech to the CPAC conference.

“She literally raced away from our Dana Bash,” Anderson Cooper told viewers on his show.

Bachmann made comments about the supposedly lavish lifestyle Obama leads inside the White House during her speech at CPAC, slamming the professional dog walker and multiple chefs she said were being paid with taxpayer money.
    ~

“You talked about the excesses that he’s engaged in, the fact that he has a dog walker, which is not true,” Bash said.

“The big point of my speech was about Benghazi,” Bachmann said. “This was an absolute disaster.” She eventually stopped for a second and snapped at Bash for bringing up the dog walker.

“But Congresswoman, you’re the one who brought it up!” Bash cried. Bachmann took this chance to flee. ‘

25. March 20, 2013 at 10:09 pm
  26. March 20, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Some interesting domestic news……..

27. March 20, 2013 at 10:10 pm
  28. March 20, 2013 at 10:11 pm
  29. 118 Dudette
    March 20, 2013 at 10:14 pm

LOVE THIS: The Westboro Baptist Church is about to get a big surprise in the form of a new neighbor who plans to give the notoriously anti-gay group a taste of its own medicine.

Aaron Jackson, one of the founders of Planting Peace, a multi-pronged charity that has in the past concentrated on rainforest conservation, opening orphanages and deworming programs, bought a house that sits directly across from the church’s compound six months ago. On Tuesday, March 19, he and a team of volunteers are painting it to match the gay pride flag.

The project — which the nonprofit is calling the “Equality House” — is the first in a new campaign Planting Peace plans to wage against the group. Westboro is known for its intimidating tactics of protesting (or threatening to protest) what they refer to as America’s pro-gay, anti-God agenda, in close proximity to pride parades, soldier funerals and other events like the Sandy Hook memorial services.

March 20, 2013 at 10:21 pm

2014 elections. PBO should directly campaign against yurtle, boner, that smirking jerk and other “top ranking” nuts by going into their constituencies and tell the truth about them. He has nothing to lose. What do you think?

31. 122 CEB
    March 20, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I love our dear PBO. He makes me especially proud to be an American. The millions of Americans who voted for him both times (I love writing that) have given a rare gift to our country and to the world.

• 123 nathkatun7
      March 20, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Yes Indeed! My votes for the President in 2008 and 2012 were the best two votes I’ve ever cast in my entire life!

32. March 20, 2013 at 10:35 pm

More domestic news….

March 20, 2013 at 10:36 pm
    • 132 nathkatun7
      March 21, 2013 at 12:09 am

In all honesty, I am not sure that graduating from college would have improved the thinking ability of these right wing morons! Ted Cruz, Jeff Sessions, Michele Bachmann, and Rick Santorum, all got law degrees; but having law degrees hasn’t done very much to improve their intelligence. Then there is the Sarah Palin example. Sure Ms. Palin went to five colleges before she eventually graduate from College with a degree in Journalism. But can any one tell me, with a straight face, that the fact that Sarah Palin graduated from college makes her an intelligent person?

34. 136 Dudette
    March 20, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Sorry Bibi! Your swag ain’t NOTHIN’ like My President’s Swag!!

35. March 20, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I DO NOT like Netanyahu. I trust my gut instinct because it’s never failed me yet. I won’t forget that he is great ‘friends’ with Mitt Romney and went to one of his fundraisers.

March 20, 2013 at 11:23 pm

That makes two…no, three, of us. Bibi may be smiling today, but I cannot like him. He touched the wrong button in me on the occasion when, as a guest in Pres O’s house, he tried to turn the President’s own people against him. (Shame on them of course for being open to Bibi’s ploy, but that’s another story) To me that smacked of a poor character and I was so hoping he would have lost in his elections.

• 142 amk for obama
      March 20, 2013 at 11:42 pm

He is a corrupt to the core thug. Amazing isrealis, for all their reputed intelligence, keep electing corrupt pols all the time.

• 143 nathkatun7
      March 21, 2013 at 12:15 am

Sometimes, as the Chinese military Gen. (I think his name was Sun Tzu) advised: it’s best to keep your enemies closer…

36. 144 yardarm756
    March 20, 2013 at 10:46 pm
      March 20, 2013 at 11:00 pm

No Thanks Dudette. I rather think of the welcome from the kids singing for POTUS. I see enough hate over here in the U.S.

• 147 Dudette
        March 20, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Understood completely. These folks sound pretty much like Fox News, so you ain’t missing a thing. I was just shocked to see the blatant disrespect from someone outside our own idiot corner, but I guess by now, I shouldn’t be.

37. March 20, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Retiree’s or soon to be pay attention to this, any suggestion QE3 is ending will kill you 401K’s

38. 153 globalcitizenlinda
    March 20, 2013 at 10:53 pm

PBO, it is “your fault” that I will definitely be fired for watching live streams of you on the world stage and pretending I am not on company time.

39. 156 anniebella
    March 20, 2013 at 10:54 pm

The kids singing “Tomorrow” was lovely.

40. 157 Dudette
    March 20, 2013 at 10:56 pm

No, it’s not all happy smiley faces and waving flags in the neighborhood

——–
    Arrest of Palestinian children in Hebron
    B’Tselem this morning urgently contacted the Army’s Legal Advisor for Judea and Samaria, demanding his emergency intervention regarding the detention of numerous children, including some as young as 8 to 10 years old, by the Israeli military this morning in Hebron. Preliminary information received this morning indicates that Soldiers detained or arrested over twenty minors on their way to school. About ten of them were released. The video was filmed by an international activist.

• 158 globalcitizenlinda
      March 20, 2013 at 11:37 pm

arresting these young boys is not right;

however, from this short clip, it seems as though a few of the adult men are using the young boys as tools to incite the soldiers to react.

reading that there are international activist filming the incident makes wonder if there are other external forces stirring this confrontation among people who are already dealing with too much

• 159 99ts
        March 20, 2013 at 11:50 pm

As in other parts of the world – parents use their children as shields. I find everything about the middle east disturbing – that such a small region has such power in the world – I do not understand it at all.

41. 160 Dudette
    March 20, 2013 at 11:01 pm

42. 161 vitaminlover
    March 20, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Netenyahu is two-faced.

43. 163 vitaminlover
    March 20, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Chuck Todd needs an enema.

44. 169 Jovie
    March 20, 2013 at 11:09 pm

They have no intention on passing immigration reform either-

At some point the American public has to turn on the republicans, unless they really want no government?

45. 170 Dudette
    March 20, 2013 at 11:13 pm
  46. 174 Dudette
    March 20, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Off-topic: Trip down memory lane!

The late Fred Rogers of “Mr. Rogers Neighborhood” would’ve been 85 today.
    His iconic red sweater is on display at the American History Museum

March 20, 2013 at 11:25 pm

WASHINGTON, March 20, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — To commemorate the third anniversary of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the Trust for America’s Health (TFAH) released a story bank featuring stories of successful prevention initiatives in action from around the country. Many of the stories focus on Community Transformation Grant (CTG) awardees, and show how this new program, made possible by the ACA, is already helping to improve the health of Americans. CTGs are one of the hallmark programs of the ACA’s Prevention and Public Health Fund, which is a dedicated investment in community prevention and state and local public health programs and workforce.

“The ACA is a historic law and should be celebrated. It helps move the country from a ‘sick care’ system, focused on treating people after they have become ill, to a real health care system, focused on preventing disease in the first place,” said Jeffrey Levi, PhD, executive director of TFAH. “Millions of Americans are already healthier because of Community Transformation Grants, expanded coverage of preventive services and other strong prevention measures in the ACA.”

48. 183 Elly in Maryland
    March 20, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I love how President Obama always has his arm around someone or on their shoulder. I remember he wrote about that in one of his books, how someone criticized him for such a friendly gesture with a Republican (?maybe George W. Bush?) and he said that’s just how he is, he wants to get along with people. I believe that’s his natural inclination, and it’s such a shame that the Republicans wouldn’t play straight with him.

I loved the Julius Caesar quote above. I am so proud to have a President who represents our country so well abroad.

49. March 20, 2013 at 11:34 pm

The First Lady attended a pre-Easter celebration with military families and children at Walter Reed today

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

March 20, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Repost.

51. 191 Dudette
    March 20, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Mister Rogers defending PBS to the US Senate
    In 1969, Fred Rogers appeared before the United States Senate Subcommittee on Communications. His goal was to support funding for PBS and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, in response to significant proposed cuts by President Nixon.

March 21, 2013 at 12:03 am

Love it. When my son was a little kid he used to jokingly call it “Mr. Neighbor’s Rogerhood.” He loved that show. Awww.

March 20, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Night TOD family:) Eyes are shutting…long day. LP…you did an awesome job today….next week: Spring Break!! Yahoo! See you all tomorrow. Hope Mrs. LL is doing great…

March 21, 2013 at 12:04 am

Very, very sleepy so am going to tear myself away. Will be late in tomorrow as I have to take my mother to an out-of-town eye specialist. Sweet dreams, everyone!

54. March 21, 2013 at 12:08 am

Paging 99Ts….Paging 99Ts

• 197 COS
      March 21, 2013 at 1:09 am

Is this the same Rudd who gave that very Rude speech when PBO was in Australia?

• 198 theo67
        March 21, 2013 at 2:00 am

No, you’re thinking of the opposition leader. Kevin Rudd is the current foreign secretary, but he was prime minister before being ousted by Gillard.

• 199 99ts
          March 21, 2013 at 2:07 am

He has been angling for this – ever since he lost the PM’s job. Micro manager who never sees the big picture. From reports, very hard to work for. Millionaire wife. He lost the job of foreign minister some time ago – current minister is Bob Carr – ex NSW Premier.

• 200 99ts
      March 21, 2013 at 2:04 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO – He’s a hopeless little ….

• 201 99ts
      March 21, 2013 at 2:12 am

Media has been ramping up this war for months – with little Kev egging them on. They never stop ranting that Julia cannot win the next election (probably true but the spin is just too much – and the alternative is a RWNJ – religious – Julia practises no religion. Rudd is also steeped in religion). grrrrrrrrrrrr

• 202 99ts
      March 21, 2013 at 3:10 am

And paging you back lovelyplains – NOT going to happen – unanimous support for the PM from the party – Rudd needs to STFU and work to defeat the fool that is Tony Abbott – leader of the opposition

Julia Gillard has declared Labor’s leadership ructions “completely at an end” after being elected unopposed as leader following a farcical Caucus leadership spill.

The media built this – not the politicians

• 203 Lynn
        March 21, 2013 at 7:22 am

“The media built this – not the politicians.” Is there a breath of murdoch in the air, 99ts?

• 204 99ts
          March 21, 2013 at 7:54 am

It’s not only murdoch – but he has been at the forefront – there was some “media control” legislation introduced recently – I have to admit to not knowing the details – the press – with Murdoch to the forefront were screaming about the 1st amendment (except we don’t have a bill of rights!) – and the bill is not going anywhere.

It’s more that the media are all very anti labor and Ms Gillard in particular. Any internal fights they can build up helps their cause. They are screaming austerity – the states are all anti labor – and so the circle goes around.

• 205 Lynn
            March 21, 2013 at 8:57 am

Yipes! Looks like a common ‘assault’ across the globe, 99. Interesting that it all seems to be happening all at once everywhere, with each piece of ‘this could be happening to YOU news’ tossed into the ‘hair on fire’ cauldron and spewed internationally. Self escalating, self perpetuating drama. Hearst would have been sooo proud.

55. 206 Dudette
    March 21, 2013 at 12:11 am
  56. 211 Dudette
    March 21, 2013 at 12:18 am
  57. 215 Dudette
    March 21, 2013 at 12:35 am
  58. 216 Dudette
    March 21, 2013 at 12:42 am

Interesting…

• March 21, 2013 at 12:45 am

You are on fire at twitter. I took time to watch movie. I’m a Bond girl.

• 222 LDS
      March 21, 2013 at 1:21 am

Dudette,
      Just catching up.
      Well, you surely rocked the house last night. I have been singing(humming) Stevie Wonder all day.
      What a wonderful day of posts and love here for our President. So proud of him whenever he represents the USA abroad and home.
      Thank you, Chips and everyone here for making this day from beginning to end real special. I try to watch MSM, but I just can’t. This is my only source for the truth. It keeps me sane and humble. Why bother with the BS? Life is too precious.
      Sweet sleep everyone.

• 223 Dudette
        March 21, 2013 at 1:27 am

I’ve always loved that piece from Stevie, LDS. Glad you enjoyed it!

I feel the way about our little TOD oasis here. I’m so grateful to have found Chips and the family here. It’s food for the mind and soul! Sleep a peaceful, rejuvenating sleep.

March 21, 2013 at 1:08 am

Now Michael Moore is the king of gun control, or any shiny object to get his mug in front of a camera so he can BLAME OBAMA. I wanna slap him silly.

60. 225 susanne
    March 21, 2013 at 1:14 am

‘ At a news conference today in Honolulu, attorneys presented gripping video testimony of predator priest Father Gerald Allen Funcheon admitting the sexual abuse of children during 40 years of assignments in Indiana, Nebraska, Minnesota, Florida, Texas, Hawaii, California, on military bases in the United States and Germany and during travels to Spain.

In the shocking video, the accused predator Funcheon discusses why he wasn’t stopped; explains how he was transferred from assignment to assignment; and how efforts of parents to stop him were thwarted by church and school officials. ‘

article includes video testimony: http://damontucker.com/2013/03/20/in-shocking-video-testimony-accused-hawaii-predator-priest-admits-to-molesting-dozens-in-many-states/

61. 228 Dudette
    March 21, 2013 at 1:15 am

Little more from Mister Rogers…

62. March 21, 2013 at 1:20 am

time for some rest …

63. 230 susanne
    March 21, 2013 at 1:23 am

in which charles pierce rips into ezra:

‘ The eagerness of smart young people to join in the circle jerk back in 2002 and 2003 was one of the more disillusioning aspects of the whole business — and not a bad argument for reinstating the military draft, if only as a measure, as Dr. Johnson once said about hanging, to concentrate the mind wonderfully. A great number of them joined the circle jerk in order to secure their credentials in the Serious People Club. They joined in support of a war in which thousands of people their age would be killed and maimed. At least give Ezra credit. He seems to feel pretty badly about the whole business. Terrific. He won’t grow up to be Richard Perle. But this? I’m sorry, but this is unmitigated codswallop. ‘

Read more: Ezra Klein Apology Iraq War – Penance Before Absolution – Esquire http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/ezra-klein-apology-iraq-war-032013#ixzz2O9HzjW2q

64. 232 Dudette
    March 21, 2013 at 1:36 am

Tribute to the Star Trek nerds out there among you… (including our illustrious President)

Say whut? He’s one of us?…

Okay, get some tissues ready before you read this story. No, seriously…

65. 233 Dudette
    March 21, 2013 at 1:41 am

Gotta have another musical interlude — how about two R&B/Jazz Divas?

Anita Baker featuring Lalah Hathaway – Angel
    [some background noise from the crowd, but keep watching/listening, it'll just fade away]

66. 234 Dudette
    March 21, 2013 at 1:46 am
  67. 236 Dudette
    March 21, 2013 at 1:47 am
  68. 237 Dudette
    March 21, 2013 at 1:56 am
  69. March 21, 2013 at 1:58 am

I made the error of going to an animal rescue sight. I’ll just pass along the song, not photos. The dogs will be okay, thank goodness. I really liked the song and wish I had found it on St. Patrick Day. :)

70. 239 Dudette
    March 21, 2013 at 2:10 am
  71. 240 Dudette
    March 21, 2013 at 2:13 am

Ugh! Here’s another one! Why, oh why, must we endure these freaks?!!!

72. 241 Dudette
    March 21, 2013 at 2:15 am
  73. 242 Dudette
    March 21, 2013 at 2:27 am

Alrighty folks, I’m cooked! The time has come for me to retire for the evening/morning!

I leave you with a little serenade from the great Andreas Wollenweider. Enjoy! :-D

March 21, 2013 at 6:04 am

aussie politics down under

Whether in government or opposition, party leaders have about as much job security as managers of Chelsea.

ouch.

March 21, 2013 at 6:11 am
    March 21, 2013 at 7:31 am

Pres. Obama and Pres. Abbas brief the press. LIVE NOW

A Rise and Shine is coming up soon. :D

March 21, 2013 at 7:58 am

G’Morning, Utal! How soon is ‘soon’? I have to hit the road very, very soon. Oh, and thank you for the imminent ‘Rise & Shine’! :lol:

Hi there, TODobots!

77. 250 Jovie
    March 21, 2013 at 8:01 am

Msnbc ain’t covering the Press conference right now, but CNN is.
    One good thing about CNN, it covers all the events without prejudice.
    Oh, here goes Major Garrett impersonation of chuck Todd, just who pays these guys? :)

• 251 99ts
      March 21, 2013 at 8:04 am

I checked MSNBC cause it’s the only one I can watch – MJ is praising Chuck Todd – I turned off that one quickly

• March 21, 2013 at 8:27 am

Sounds about right. Apparently it’s against MSNBC policy to go on the air and announce that your co-worker is an idiot.

March 21, 2013 at 8:30 am

I can’t help thinking that while we are truly blessed to have PBO’s leadership at this time, it’s a real pity that HE has been ‘cursed’ with the stupidest group of morAns (generally speaking) as keepers of the media. :roll: They are the laziest bunch of ……flesh….., always wanting and waiting for someone to give them answers. They cannot draw logical conclusions, only those fed to them by the opposition. I don’t know them, but with few exceptions I loathe them ever time they open their mouths.

I think I’d better go take my mom to the specialist before these idjiits spoil my morning.

Catch you guys/gals later! Have a good morning with the President, despite the overpaid detractors.

78. 257 globalcitizenlinda
    March 21, 2013 at 8:50 am

watching the presser between PBO & Palestine Authority President Abbas, I was strcuk by how bare the surroundings looked when contrasted by the glamor from yesterday’s ceremonies in Israel

79. March 21, 2013 at 11:01 am

Why is Chuck Todd such a jerk?

80. March 21, 2013 at 11:10 am

Thanks Alycee for the links. Dudette, thanks for the music.