Mar

Rise and Shine…..

PRESIDENT OBAMA IS WATCHING THE TOD CREW WITH AN EAGLE EYE……SO EVERYONE BEHAVE!!

Barack Obama, John Boehner

Vice President Biden will be holding down the fort… until President Obama gets back.

Italy U.S. Pope

BidenRome2

H/T  TODer @Arapaho415 https://twitter.com/arapaho415

BidenRome

Pope Francis meets Vice President Joe Biden and his sister, Valerie Biden Owens, after his installation Mass at the Vatican on Tuesday, March 19, 2013.

CORRECTION Vatican Pope

*****

PRESIDENT OBAMA CELEBRATES WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH AT THE WHITE HOUSE

WomensHistorymonth

PBOwomens

President Barack Obama delivers remarks during the Women’s History Month reception in the East Room of the White House, March 18, 2013. Standing at right are First Lady Michelle Obama and Amanda McMillan, who introduced the President.

PBOwomens2

President Barack Obama and Dr. Jill Biden welcome Cathy Russell to the stage after the President announced her nomination as Ambassador at Large for Global Women’s Issues

***

Celebrating Excellence in Community Colleges

Dr.Biden

Leaders in education and business congratulated Santa Barbara City College from California and Walla Walla Community College from Washington for being selected as co-winners of the 2013 http://www.aspeninstitute.org/policy-work/aspen-prize

*****

Encouraging Young Women to Become the Leaders and Advocates of Tomorrow

*****

ACA at 3: Consumer Protections

The Health Care Law is about people like me…..Its AliciaCare  http://t.co/ZZruU08hUR

*****

Melissa Rogers New Head of White House Faith-Based Office

Melissa RodgersFaith

“I’m honored to be able to serve President Obama by forging and promoting a wide range of effective partnerships with faith-based and secular nonprofits that help people in need”

President Obama’s wise choice for faith office by E.J. Dionne  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2013/03/18/melissa-rogers-obamas-wise-choice-for-the-white-houses-faith-office/

*****

In some states, gun rights trump orders of protection.

NRAORDER

Early last year, after a series of frightening encounters with her former husband, Stephanie Holten went to court in Spokane, Wash., to obtain a temporary order for protection. Her former husband, Corey Holten, threatened to put a gun in her mouth and pull the trigger, she wrote in her petition. He also said he would “put a cap” in her if her new boyfriend “gets near my kids.”

NRA opposes UN arms treaty

NRALapierre

The National Rifle Association uses campaign expenditures and a rating system based on members’ voting histories to exert influence over members of Congress. Use this graphic to see who gets the most — and least — support.

Why Gun Makers Fear the NRA

NRALapierre1

Smith & Wessen tried to work w/Clinton administration and found out how evil the NRA is

*****

BUSH LOWBALLED COST OF IRAQ TO AMERICANS BY 6 TRILLION

Iraqcosts

When Cheney said deficits don’t matter http://t.co/RG33vnKQLA

Ryan Lamke

Bush spokesman, I mean FOX *News* WH Correspondent, demands Dubya get credit for starting a war!

*****

PER REQUEST BY TODer Bobfr https://twitter.com/Our4thEstate

nixonwatergate

HISTORY’S YARD WASTE EXPLORED: CHARLES PIERCE

LBJ Nixon

LBJ TAPES NIXON’S TREASON

Declassified tapes of President Lyndon Johnson’s telephone calls provide a fresh insight into his world. Among the revelations – he planned a dramatic entry into the 1968 Democratic Convention to re-join the presidential race. And he caught Richard Nixon sabotaging the Vietnam peace talks… but said nothing.  See BBC

New evidence continues to accumulate showing how Official Washington got key elements of two major presidential scandals of the Nixon and Reagan administrations wrong.

*****

sequesterNuclear

Scary sequestration effect http://news.yahoo.com/nearly-250-laid-off-wash-hanford-nuclear-144112286.html … 250 laid off and 2500 more face furloughs at Americas most contaminated nuclear site.

NASA to Congress: Pay now or pray later on asteroid defense

Sequesterastroid

On March 6, Louella Hollingsworth was presented with the League Medal of Safety Award by the National Air Traffic Controllers Association for helping save the life of a pilot in danger.  A week later she was informed that she was being furloughed, one of a snowballing number of casualties from sequestration.

Washington's Reagan National Airport

*****

Like Ryan’s budget? http://www.offthechartsblog.org/ryan-budget-would-slash-snap/ … but worried that it still lets the poor eat a bit too well, fear not.

FoodStamp

Senate GOP not eager to vote on Ryan budget Part ~

Jeff Sessions, Orrin Hatch

***

Looks like Bubba is trying to push Ashley Judd out the door…….

KYsenate

***

The Press jackals are on top of it…..the Easter Egg roll that is.

H/T TODer Dudette https://twitter.com/Dudette9t9

PRESIDENT OBAMA’S SCHEDULE

On Wednesday, the President will arrive in Tel Aviv, Israel and participate in an official arrival ceremony at Ben Gurion International Airport. The President, Prime Minister Netanyahu and President Peres will deliver remarks. The arrival ceremony is open press.

While at Ben Gurion International Airport, the President will view an Iron Dome Battery. There will be travel pool coverage of the President’s visit to the Iron Dome Battery.

In the afternoon, the President will travel to Jerusalem to the residence of President Shimon Peres of Israel where he will sign the guest book and take part in a tree planting ceremony. Afterwards, the President and his delegation will participate in a photo with President Peres and his delegation. There will be pre-set pool coverage of the President’s arrival and guest book signing and travel pool coverage of the tree planting ceremony. There will be pre-set pool coverage of the photo.

While at the residence of President Peres, the President will participate in a restricted bilateral meeting with President Peres. Afterwards, the President and President Peres will deliver statements. The restricted bilateral meeting will be closed press, and there will be travel pool coverage of the statements to the press.

In the evening, the President will travel to Prime Minister Netanyahu’s residence. There will be limited pre-set pool coverage of the President’s arrival at the residence as well as the guest book signing. While at the residence, the President will take part in a closed-press restricted bilateral meeting with Prime Minister Netanyahu before holding a press conference with Prime Minister Netanyahu. This press conference will be open to credentialed correspondents.

At night, the President will attend a working dinner with Prime Minister Netanyahu. The President will spent the night in Jerusalem

***

6:25AM         THE PRESIDENT arrives Tel Aviv, Israel

Ben Gurion International Airport, Tel Aviv, Israel

Open Press

6:30AM         THE PRESIDENT takes part in an official arrival ceremony

Ben Gurion International Airport, Tel Aviv, Israel

Open Press

8:30AM         THE PRESIDENT views an Iron Dome Battery

Ben Gurion International Airport, Tel Aviv, Israel

Travel Pool Coverage

10:00AM     THE PRESIDENT arrives at the residence of President Peres and signs the guest book

President’s Residence, Jerusalem

Pre-Set Pool Coverage

10:10AM       THE PRESIDENT participates in a tree planting ceremony

President’s Residence, Jerusalem

Travel Pool Coverage

10:15AM      THE PRESIDENT and his delegation participate in a photo with President Peres and his delegation

President’s Residence, Jerusalem

Pre-Set Pool Coverage

10:25AM     THE PRESIDENT and President Peres of Israel hold a restricted bilateral meeting

President’s Residence, Jerusalem

Closed Press

11:05AM      THE PRESIDENT and President Peres of Israel deliver statements to the press

President’s Residence, Jerusalem

Travel Pool Coverage

11:30AM    THE PRESIDENT arrives at residence of Prime Minister Netanyahu of Israel and signs the guest book

Prime Minister’s Residence, Jerusalem

Limited Pre-Set Pool Coverage

11:45AM   THE PRESIDENT and Prime Minister Netanyahu hold a restricted bilateral meeting

Prime Minister’s Residence, Jerusalem

Closed Press

2:05PM     THE PRESIDENT and Prime Minister Netanyahu hold a press conference

Prime Minister’s Residence, Jerusalem

Open to Pre-Credentialed Correspondents

2:50PM     THE PRESIDENT and Prime Minister Netanyahu meet for a working dinner

Prime Minister’s Residence, Jerusalem

Closed Press

*****

GM, Hope you have a wonderful day! I will work on getting the links to where you don’t have to leave the page by next week. I got a few things on my plate, so I ask for you patience……..Lovelyplains

I HAVE UPDATED ALL TIMES TO BE LOCAL EST US TIME ZONE HOPE THAT HELPS

197 Responses to “Rise and Shine…..”

March 20, 2013 at 7:47 am

Good Morning!

March 20, 2013 at 7:53 am

Morning, vc!! Morning, Chips! It’s early for me…not even 5am yet…but that’s what happens when I fall asleep at 8:30 :) Nice to be up early with you….and I LOVE that PBO keeps his eye out for us….!!! That’s NOT a usual PBO pic, for sure! Now…let me go back and read what you posted and get some coffee. I’ll wake up in a few.

3. March 20, 2013 at 7:56 am

Good Morning Chipsticks….TODers! Congrats on first vcprezofan2.

Stay safe Mr. President and everyone have a wonderful day.

4. March 20, 2013 at 7:58 am

Good morning, Chips. Really terrific round-up. THANK YOU.

LOVE that first photo of POTUS. He can keep his eye on us anytime!!

I really couldn’t believe that Fox News moment in the briefing room yesterday. MIND BLOWING stupidity and arrogance.

As for Ashley Judd, this is the kind of dirty politics I despise, enabled by our idiot press. BTW, Grimes is a BLUE DOG. This is more Clinton DLC BS. UGH.

• March 20, 2013 at 7:59 am

OOoopsie, I mean thank you, lovelyplains! Great job!

• 22 Jovie
      March 20, 2013 at 8:25 am

Strangely enough, Hillary is not to the right on domestic issues, as the DLC crowd is.
      This is Bill Clinton trying to shape things, for better or worse.

• March 20, 2013 at 8:31 am

They’re going to screw this up. The Clintons do not have a good track record when it comes to local races. Stay out of it and let the chips fall where they may.

• 24 TrumpDog
        March 20, 2013 at 9:46 am

I wouldn’t believe Politico’s slant on things.
        By the way, do we know for sure if Judd is even seriously planning a run?

Seems like some media likes to stir shit up. Most times they get the story wrong – just to make a story.

• 25 Gazelle
          March 20, 2013 at 10:33 am

TrumpDog, I was just thinking the same thing, then I read your comment. Yup! :)

Reporters really do need “Truth in Reporting.” Like “Truth in Advertising.”

• 26 57andfemale
          March 20, 2013 at 11:02 am

There were actual signs last week that Judd is considering a run. Meetings, etc. that were being reported ramped up the perception that she is very serious about running.

March 20, 2013 at 8:02 am

For mercy’s sake Lovely P, are you trying to keep me busy for the REST OF THE WEEK? :shock:
    I went down the thread and there’s no way I can finish following those links etc before April 1st! Humphfff. I know you have set PBO to keep an eye on us, but I’m telling you up front I’m not going to get them all done so I’ll be sneaking around, hiding behind the likes of Cookemom, Amk, Hopefruit and a few others so he won’t catch sight of me shirking my tasks.

• 28 proudmemberofglobalzero
      March 20, 2013 at 8:05 am

Thank you for the great roundup Lovelyplains. Can’t wait for the Israel coverage.

March 20, 2013 at 8:53 am

:???: Oh, Morning CM! Did you see where you’ll be one of those providing cover for me today? Thanks in advance.

• 31 cookemom
          March 20, 2013 at 9:08 am

I will do my best fro you vc, but there is 1/4″ plywood underlayment in my future today. Gotta stay on schedule. Last week I pulled up the existing tile, this week is putting in all the under stuffs, next week I put down the new ceramic tile. The following week is the delivery of the appliances and cabinets! Now that’s what I call a great beginning to spring, don’cha know! Still haven’t ordered the countertops and sink, but hey, why sweat the small stuff!

PS: I’ll hang around as your cover for as long as I can. I guess I really should wait until the rest of the house wakes up before I go hammering, chiseling, yanking and pulling, prying and plying,

March 20, 2013 at 9:20 am

I am in awe of you! Do you actually intend to put down the tiles by yourself? I can picture you ripping them up (a great way to release frustration with Boehner and the like ‘Rip! Crash! Bang! Into the garbage! That takes care of McCain. Rip! Rip! Crash! That takes care of…’, but laying the new tiles?
            I’m hoping to go visit this ‘great’ granite outlet today IF my contractor turns up early like he’s supposed to. The kitchen is my next target and they supposedly have a promotion going on for the next week or so. I have grandiose plans to move the fridge, re-arrange the cabinets, then change the countertops. When that’s done – given the way he works I’d say in another month – I’ll (have him) lay the hardwood for downstairs. After that it’s the leaking basement, which has dried out from its recent attempt to create a pool but which hasn’t been repaired yet. Ah, the joys of renovations! I totally respect all that you are actually doing in your renovations. I’m more the ‘supervisor’ type, and of course, the broke type. ;)

• 33 cookemom
              March 20, 2013 at 10:07 am

Well it’s the broke in me that has me doing this myself. I just happened to think, ‘why put all new stuff on a not so new floor?’. I hadn’t planned on a new floor at all and there is no money in the budget for just because stuff. There was nothing wrong with the tile that was there, it just wasn’t new. so I meticulously removed them, not at all with any foes in mind, so that they may be reused in basement laundry area. speaking of basements, are you saying that you’re still getting along there swimmingly? Ah, the joys of home ownership, especially as in my case, homes that were built during the Charlemagne era. Can’t beat the construction, but dang if they don’t cost to remodel. Can’t even find a widget made to fit any of the thingamajigs that were used before modern civilization. Good luck to you. My next project is bedroom and finally getting around to doing something about that 2 foot hole in the ceiling (slow leak gone wild).

March 20, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Sorry, Cookem swimming time is over (I hope). ;) You should have taken me up on the offer while the water was fresh. It’s all dried up now, leaving me with the task of moving stuff (bookcases filled with books, toys galore, boxes etc) away from the walls and removing the insulation so that the wet-proofing guy can see how much of the wall is involved. I actually told him I’d call back today after giving myself three days to do the work (still not done cause I haven’t felt like it). Once I’ve done that he’ll come back and give me a quote for the job. I have the choice of an inside or outside approach, except that with the latter I’d lose a portion of my deck which I rarely ever use but don’t want to lose. [wimmin] :roll:

I think it’s somewhat funny that we both undertook renos at about the same time approaching things almost in reverse order, and that we have comparable problems. all along the line. :grin: Of course, not known for patience I’m sort of tired of all the disruption yet determined to spruce things up. Rolling right along!

• 35 cookemom
                  March 20, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Welll you know what they say about greats minds and such…. I also did the waterproofing thing many years ago. Had it done inside and outside, stripped the walls to the concrete. Held up for about 2 years though, because the water was from badly diverted water tunnels in the street, not from rain or water along the foundation. No amount of waterproofing would have stemmed the tide of water draining from every home that fed into the underground system and pooled nicely at my address. Says the waterproofer, well we didn’t know that, we only guarantee water at your foundation. Arggggh!! Mr. thought of a contraption to stop the water from coming in. Well, after much damage, it didn’t stop the water from getting in, but it sure keeps me from going down there, except to wash. I don’t even have the fix on my radar. Today, after being suspiciously quiet about the new tile after-thought, I’ advised, the best thing to do is to wait until AFTER the cabinets are in before you put the tile down. This after postponing delivery because I thought you put the tile in first. double Argghhh! Oh well, on to the upstairs bath. Good Luck VC, I’m measuring my success and using your progress as my motivation.

March 20, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Maybe we should co-author a book on the joys of renovating and the advice that always comes ‘a day late’. We could probably add it to the Joys of Lex, Joys of Sex, etc. series. Wonder if we could persuade other TODobots to buy it up in bulk so that we could make the best seller list in the manner of the ‘well-known’ RWNJ writers? That way all our experiences would just be invaluable researc.

That wet-proofing I’m contemplating better do the job! This was my first leaking incident, and the guy did demonstrate (on his ipad, no less) that the black shield he’ll put in will direct the water to the pipes he’ll put in, which will then be directed to a sump pump, so I’m optimistic. BTW, the granite promo looks and sounds promising and had several choices (for a promo), three of which I actually like and my sibling agrees with me on one. (She actually enjoys this kind of thing – visits model homes and is forever changing this and that in her place. :roll: I’m not normally the ‘house proud’ type (if it ain’t leaking or broke, leave it alone) but I confess that moving things here and there has been SOMEWHAT fun, THIS time.

• 37 cookemom
                      March 20, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Yes, a book! Heck if we got the buy in bulk you speak of, I could afford a home renovation that doesn’t include me on my knees. Heck, if we do as good as the tin foil brigade, I could buy a move in ready home also too! Pipes!!! You have pipes in your plan? Well, no wonder ours didn’t work. I believe you speak of the drain pipe waterproofing system. Yes, that is the best design there is on the market. Good for you. I shall revisit that maybe, after the book goes to print. In the meantime, since the skids was put on the tile job, I picked out my counter tops and the vanity (same as kitchen cabinet), black sink/toilet for the adjacent powder room today. I’m going with granite called Black Galaxy. It should look cool with the stainless steel sink and appliances, the honey maple cabinets and the greyish/white ceramic floor tile. Maybe I;ll be eating in my kitchen in time for Thanksgiving this year. It was Thanksgiving 2012 when this all began.

Yes a book called,

“Cooking on a box101- Up the creek without a paddle in your basement – star gazing from your bedroom, OR…. how to remodel on a dime, without losing your mind!’.

March 20, 2013 at 5:31 pm

What do you mean you didn’t have pipes in your inside/outside draining? If they didn’t even put pipes on the outside, what DID they do, just coat the walls?
                      Nix on the move-in ready home! In my world corner they look all-moderny and gadgety and pretty and stuff (and I genuinely admire them when there) but there is hardly any space to turn around both inside and outside, unless of course you buy in the upwards of $800+ category.

Your kitchen sounds awfully similar to my intended kitchen, except that the granite I favour has the poetic name of ‘uba tuba’ -black with green flecks that match the wall and golden brownish flecks that match the oak cupboards. I did ask the salesman what’s with the rhyming name but he only laughed. Sibling keeps saying I should change the cupboards instead of sprucing them up, but I don’t see the sense in dishing [ ;) ] mine for veneered stuff just because they are ‘new’. I sheepishly admit I sorta, kinda like wood. Lord, I should hope I’m done in another couple of months (probably will be if I don’t finish the basement at this time)! Now if we got the book off the ground, with the help of all TODobots, then for sure it’ll take longer ’cause I’d remodel the basement right away, maybe even put in a real pool. BTW, I love the last title best –

“Modeling on a Dime,
                      Without losing your Mind”

Maybe we should secure the domain, copyright it or do whatever is needed before someone else hones in on it. :grin:

Good thing we’re on an ‘old’ thread because otherwise others would be rolling their eyes at all this reno talk by now. ;) Off to see what’s up in the current thread!

6. March 20, 2013 at 8:04 am

I missed that Rise and Shine was from Lovelyplains this morning. :oops: Good morning Lovelyplains. :-) Thanks for the detailed round-up!

7. March 20, 2013 at 8:13 am

Good morning Ms. Chips and TOD family. I hope everyone have super pleasent day today. Great post lovelyplains. Congrats vcp on being first this lovely Wednesday morning.

March 20, 2013 at 8:27 am

They are being a bit hyperbolic and in the wrong way. The AWB is not exactly dead but removed from the base bill and added as an amendment.

But if they want to really have an impact and bring attention to this, instead of posting the kids’ pics, and writing “shame on US” they should post pictures of the ALL NRA-lobbied congress members (mostly Repugs and some DEMS) and Wayne LaPierre, and the and write “SHAME ON YOU!”

• 44 Jovie
        March 20, 2013 at 8:31 am

Still, Reid is a weak majority leader.
        How much you want to bet that Immigration reform will be the same way?
        I have to ask? Which side won the election, anyways?

• March 20, 2013 at 8:53 am

I think he reflects his caucus. They talk a good game but the majority of them like the fact the Senate is broke. Otherwise they would have made sure Reid had all the votes he needed to do real filibuster reform.

• 46 Jovie
            March 20, 2013 at 9:03 am

Maybe so! Or, it was Schumer, Durbin and Feinstein against real filibuster reform.
            Maybe they are deliberately trying to weaken Reid. A Coup???

• March 20, 2013 at 9:12 am

Or Reid was blowing smoke knowing he never had any intention of changing anything.

March 20, 2013 at 9:29 am

Like you, Derbingle, my feeling is that Reid reflects his caucus. I think of the Dems who have sliced PBO in the media here and there and I can readily see them doing the same to Reid by not supporting issues and agenda in a manner that would unify and give them all clout.

March 20, 2013 at 9:31 am

I can’t seem to dump everything on Reid. If the Dem caucus had been uniformly strong on filibuster reform I don’t think Reid alone could/would have derailed the process.

• 50 TrumpDog
                  March 20, 2013 at 9:49 am

I agree with you.
                  Reid continually gets dumped on but people forget there are folks in the Democratic wing that aren’t fully on board. He needs their votes and did not have them.

March 20, 2013 at 10:19 am

Agreed vc – I strongly believe that there are some Dems (and others) who are lobbied by the NRA and don’t want their names revealed. And it might be folks who spend a lot of time being self-righteous on Cable TV – like Bernie Sanders (Libertarian-in-Chief), etc….

• 52 nathkatun7
            March 20, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I agree with you, derbingle! I get tired of the simplistic demonization of Reid. Democrats in the Senate elected Reid their leader. If he is so weak, and prevents them from achieving the reforms, then it’s up to them to elect a new majority leader.

• 54 dotster3
        March 20, 2013 at 9:13 am

I’d same there’s enough shame to go around—-I don’t mind that front page at all. There’s shame for congress critters who are not representing the will of the people, there’s shame for anyone who cares about this issue—–the sane majority— who did not bother to pressure their representatives or senators. The whole thing is shameful. And I would venture to say that an AWB as an amendment has close to zero chance of passing —–that’s why it’s an amendment and not included in the legislation.

• 56 prettyfoot58
        March 20, 2013 at 9:29 am

I agree…that would have been a more impressive front page/along with the 2000+ folks who have been killed by gun violence since Sandyhook…

i think that this NON vote was more about protecting those DEMS who would have voted NO…in fact it would have put The Majority Leader himself on the line….

but i do think that each aspect if the gun safety bill should be voted on separately…

and one more thing….
        it only takes a simple majority to pass a bill..Sen Reid gives into the filibuster and acquieces to the GOP when he says he can’t put a bill up for a vote because he does not have 60 votes…hell..WE DESERVE A VOTE!

#WEDESERVEAVOTE

@SENREID 202-224-3542

8. 58 ranman11
    March 20, 2013 at 8:17 am

9. 59 Jovie
    March 20, 2013 at 8:22 am

Did you hear Hannity last night? He said the only way to stop Obamacare is if the Republicans shut down the government.
    Shut down the government, in the middle of a war and 8% UE???

Well, at that point, the President should initiate Marshall law, and circumvent congress.
    He has every right, as Congress is putting it’s Citizens in danger! :(
    Shutting down the Government to stop Obamacare? Is he nuts???

• 60 99ts
      March 20, 2013 at 8:51 am

To answer your last question – Yes – he is nuts

• March 20, 2013 at 8:59 am

Not Sean Hannity. The voice of moderation and reason? I don’t believe it but more importantly I don’t want to believe it. He ranks up their with Mr Bipartisan himself, Rush Limbaugh…oh wait.

10. 62 jackiegrumbacher
    March 20, 2013 at 8:22 am

Great roundup, LP, and nice and early so there’s time to review it all. Prayed hard last night for the president’s safety and success on his Middle East. As for the Ashley Judd story, I don’t believe any press ‘slant.’ If Ms Lundergan-Grimes wants to join the race, she’s free to do so. Let the primary voters decide. It angers me when “powers that be” make decisions for voters. Ashley Judd will do what she chooses to do, not what some interfering politico thinks she should do.

• 63 Jovie
      March 20, 2013 at 8:28 am

Who knows what’s going on? Is McConell afraid? Was this his team leaking stuff? Is Bill Clinton stepping over his boundaries?
      Nobody knows anything anymore because the press is not the press anymore, it’s political operatives. :(

March 20, 2013 at 8:25 am

THANK YOU to all well-wishers! It does feel good to be on top of the TOD podium this morning and to be acknowledged by you all. THANK YOU. Thank you! :grin: :grin: (grinning happily)

• 66 99ts
      March 20, 2013 at 8:56 am

great start to your day – and spring

March 20, 2013 at 9:06 am

‘Evening, 99ts! A great way to start my day indeed, though the spring part is looking quite white in my corner. I am not worrying of course, as I plan to join the group traveling to the Middle East and know from past experience that there won’t be time to worry about weather at home. Enjoy your evening/night!

March 20, 2013 at 8:29 am

Great round-up LP.

13. 70 Jovie
    March 20, 2013 at 8:39 am

Ken Salazar says the Statue of Liberty will open by July 4th, which was closed due to the Storm!

14. 71 globalcitizenlinda
    March 20, 2013 at 8:45 am

No doubt an Ms AshleyJudd run for KY senate would be a very attention-grabbng race which could enable new voters to participate.

Per our discussion, socio-justice foused activists from our state that shares a border with KY are already mobilizing for a 2-hour drive to volunteer for Ms Judd. Highly doubt such mobilization will occur for a Blue Dog Dem – given how this group already obstructs agenda such as an assault weapons ban.

15. 72 cookemom
    March 20, 2013 at 8:46 am

Hi there all you O’s!!!! What a great getting up day in TODdytown again!!! It’s the first day of spring and time to cite my very own poem to herald in the new season. To bad it doesn’t quite feel like spring today where I am, but never the less here it is:

Spring

The grass is riz
    and the birdies is…

16. 78 JER
    March 20, 2013 at 8:47 am

MONUMENT, COLORADO | The head of the Colorado Department of Corrections has been shot and killed at his home, and authorities say the gunman is on the loose. … http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57575295/colo-prisons-chief-shot-and-killed-at-home/

17. 80 99ts
    March 20, 2013 at 8:54 am

Hello everyone – wonderful spread lovelyplains – many thanks

18. March 20, 2013 at 9:14 am

Loveyplains, that was MAGNIFICENT!!! A billion, trillion, gazillion thank yous! I’ll be back a little later with a couple of ‘Heads Ups’ (once I figure out the times :oops: ), photos and videos – see you then.

• 86 99ts
      March 20, 2013 at 9:35 am

Hello Ms Chips

Some of us have to live in the cyber world of weird times year round – your maths has to be miles ahead of the zombie-eyed granny starver from Wisconsin (love Charles Pierce) – and help is at hand

Washington DC * Wed 9:25 AM
      Jerusalem Wed 3:25 PM
      Brisbane Wed 11:26 PM

If you fly from Eastern Australia to LA you can arrive before you leave – so you can vacation here and get an extra day for free

19. 87 Jovie
    March 20, 2013 at 9:15 am

What about that Guy at UCF? Pulled the Fire alarm and was waiting for students to come out of there Roomz, so he could shoot them. Luckily, somebody called 911 after he saw the guy waiting with a BushMaster.
    Congress doesn’t care!

20. 88 japa21
    March 20, 2013 at 9:15 am

GM TODians. Another beautiful morning in Chicago even if a bit chilly (wind chill -3 in my suburb when I woke uo). Fantastic R&S this AM. A top 10er at least.

My quick comment about the Ashley Judd article. First of all, it is Politico reporting this, which definitely wants the Turtle to win reelection and will do anything to divide the Dems. Secondly, my first concern is that the Turtle go down to defeat so I do want the candidate that is best able to accomplish that feat. I like Judd, but I do not know KY enough to know if she can pull it off.

More #GOPspeak twits coming out later. I want to thank everybody who has been retweeting them.

21. 89 Ladyhawke
    March 20, 2013 at 9:16 am

BBC News reporter Lyse Doucet asks several guests why everyone is so hard on President Obama about not visiting Israel during his first term when other U.S. presidents didn’t visit during their first term.

• 90 jackiegrumbacher
      March 20, 2013 at 9:24 am

Gee, LH, don’t tell me there’s actually a reporter somewhere who asks common sense questions and does a little research!! Of course no one will tell her it’s because the US media consists of GOP shills and an African American president has to be superman and accomplish 100 times as much as any other president, or else he’s just not cutting it or has some grudge against Israel.

22. 91 Ladyhawke
    March 20, 2013 at 9:20 am

WHEN PRESIDENTS HAVE TRAVELED TO ISRAEL

Obama Truth Team – July 27, 2012

================================

Over the past four years, President Obama has built on his unwavering commitment to Israel by offering unprecedented aid and standing squarely by Israel on the world stage. But conservatives, who are equally committed to misleading Americans about the President’s record, are pushing an attack about the President’s visits to Israel. The conservative group Emergency Committee for Israel (ECI) released an ad that uses the President’s travel itinerary to mislead Americans about his support for Israel.

But the ECI’s complaint rings hollow when considering how President Obama’s record compares with previous presidents:

No Republican president has visited Israel in their first term. President George W. Bush didn’t visit Israel until the eighth year of his presidency. The only two U.S. presidents to make an official state visit to Israel during their first term were Presidents Carter and Clinton.

President Ronald Reagan never visited Israel during his presidency.

In prioritizing the alliance between the two countries, President Obama has also met nine times with Israel’s Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu to closely coordinate on a wide range of issues.

President Obama has also visited Israel twice, including once as a candidate in 2008—just like Mitt Romney is doing now. While in Israel, President Obama visited Sderot to see the impact of repeated rocket attacks out of Gaza and went to Yad Vashem, where he participated in a wreath laying ceremony in the Hall of Remembrance.

Prime Minister Netanyahu recognized President Obama’s trip when asked a question about Romney’s, adding that he’d say “pretty much the same things [to Romney that] I’ve said to the presumptive Democratic candidate, Senator Barack Obama, when I greeted him four years ago—roughly the same time—in the campaign.”

But the President has done more than meet with Israeli leaders and travel to Israel as a candidate. He’s offered unprecedented support to Israel—including a record high request for security assistance to the Jewish State and standing up for Israel in front of the international community. More than his travel itinerary or the GOP’s empty rhetoric, the President’s historic support for the country reflects his deep commitment to the sacred bond between the U.S. and Israel.

===========================

23. 92 japa21
    March 20, 2013 at 9:21 am
  24. 93 Ladyhawke
    March 20, 2013 at 9:26 am

Frank Bruni noted that Cruz is “an ornery, swaggering piece of work,” preoccupied with “grandstanding and browbeating.”

============================================================

How not to make friends and influence people

By Steve Benen

============================================================

• 94 57andfemale
      March 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I’m waiting for Chris Hayes to find him ‘interesting’.

I’m also waiting for Mrs. Greenspan and the other msnbc crew to decry msnbc’s lack of diversity by not choosing hosts for Up and Ed Schultz’s time slot who are women and/or people of color.

Lazy, fat-cat hypocrites. Every one of them.

March 20, 2013 at 9:29 am

MUST READ: http://www.eclectablog.com/2013/03/the-same-delusion-that-led-to-the-iraq-war-wont-let-america-admit-that-republicans-are-the-problem.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+eclectablog%2FkInS+%28Eclectablog%29

Out of some desire to “balanced,” to be “fair,” to be “unbiased,” too many people pretend that the Republican party’s motives cannot be questioned.

We have to pretend that the GOP cares about balancing the budget when the first thing the last Republican president did was unbalance it.

We have to pretend that the GOP cares about cutting government spending when they want to grow the defense budget and lower social spending to a unprecedented level just as a record number of Americans are retiring.

We have to pretend that the 2% of climate scientists who don’t think we’re heading to an irreversible, man-made climate catastrophe aren’t almost all funded by an industry that directly profits from carbon pollution.

We have to pretend that the die-hard conservatives who aren’t oil billionaires and still buy the denial of 2% of climate scientists aren’t doing so at of pure spite and skepticism of anything liberals want to do.

We have to pretend that the party that wants to tell women when to give birth and all of us whom we can marry is for smaller government.

Oh, there’s more…please read and pass along!

March 20, 2013 at 9:36 am

More! http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2013/03/20/the-morning-plum-a-nation-of-keynesians/

new Gallup poll finds that public support for new federal spending to create jobs is simply overwhelming. Large majorities — and even majorities of Republicans — back the jobs creation policies Obama proposed in 2011 and renewed in this year’s State of the Union Speech:

* 72 percent support a “federal government program that would spend government money to put people to work on urgent infrastructure repairs.” This is also backed by 71 percent of independents and 53 percent of Republicans.

* 72 percent support a “federal jobs creation law that would spend government money for a program designed to create more than 1 million new jobs.” This is backed by 69 percent of independents and 52 percent of Republicans.

26. 98 Vicki
    March 20, 2013 at 9:37 am

Where can I see POTUS in Israel? Is there any live coverage?

• 99 LunarSea
      March 20, 2013 at 9:41 am
      • March 20, 2013 at 10:02 am

I see our POTUS took his ‘swagga’ to Israel :-)

• 101 miss pat
          March 20, 2013 at 10:20 am

Backed off his jacket and held it over his shoulder with one finger. I am crying and smiling at the same time. And praying for his safety too.

• 102 carolyn
            March 20, 2013 at 11:19 am

That video was hilarious! Last night on the previous thread I sad that Bibi would try to make up to the President, because he knows how desperately he needs the President’s approval….well!!! The President takes off his jacket, hooks it over his shoulder, looks debonair and swaggerific, so what does old Bibi try…….!!! He’ll never be able to look it, but it is hilarious to look at him copying…..immediately…..our POTUS!!!!
            My advice for all of us, don’t watch NBC and Chuck Toad. Try the other channels…..

• 104 Gazelle
            March 20, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Hah-ha! Wasn’t that Bibi imitating that move & he couldn’t quite carry it off?!! Worth a rewind & cackle! :) Thanks LunarSea

March 20, 2013 at 9:39 am

Let her know!! http://schakowsky.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3285&Itemid=231

YOU CHOOSE

Budgets are about choices – and the choices Congress makes over the coming months will affect every person and business in our country. I want to hear what you would choose, and here is your first question.

The Republican budget being voted on this week maintains $1.2 trillion in across-the-board cuts (known as the “sequester”) that affect defense and domestic spending, including education, medical research, nutrition and job training. The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office estimates that sequestration cuts could cost as many as 750,000 jobs.

28. 106 dotster3
    March 20, 2013 at 9:41 am

Just watched Pres. Obama fill out his March Madness brackets—–”Barack–etology”, as Sports Center called it. Our sports-minded president knows all the teams and all the best players in those teams, as proven by his comments. He has Louisville vs. Indiana in the final game, with Indiana a somewhat surprising pick to win it all. My I.U. grad son in law will be loving Obama for this. Indiana remains a bball-crazy state—-everyone has a hoop.

March 20, 2013 at 9:48 am

Wow. Excellent r&s, lp. Great coverage on #GunControl and the #nra thugs, iraq clusterfuck and the whole swathe of issues.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

30. March 20, 2013 at 9:49 am

Coming up today:

11:05 AM EDT President Obama and President Peres of Israel Speak to the Press

2:05 PM EDT President Obama and PM Netanyahu Hold a Press Conference

Will post heads-ups nearer the time. See ya soon.

March 20, 2013 at 9:54 am
  32. March 20, 2013 at 9:59 am

PBO’s NCAA tourney Picks will be across SportsCenter and all ESPN outlets throughout the day

March 20, 2013 at 10:00 am
  34. March 20, 2013 at 10:19 am

Ahem!

• 127 dotster3
      March 20, 2013 at 10:29 am

Good ol’ Chuck Todd kept his blinders on so he wouldn’t dare notice any “charm” or positivity. He was all negative and sarcastic in his reporting on the trip today. I cannot figure out why this person, without even a college degree and with obvious personal animosity toward President Obama is the “political director” and sets the tone of all the political reporting for NBC/MSNBC.

35. 129 Vicki
    March 20, 2013 at 10:21 am

Thanks Meta UT and Chips. I will be watching as much as I can .
    Just have to post this first:

Do Not make the mistake of misunderstanding the new opponent of Ashley Judd, Clinton marriage equality speech this week.You will be seeing a lot more of The Clintons in the next few years.

This is what the SOS appointment of Hilary did for 4 years. It kept the Clintons in our tent pissing out.

Now they are out and They Want THEIR Party Back.

They will divert every camera they can away from POTUS and on to them

Helping out: Ed Rendell, Howard Fineman, James Carville and most if not all the MSNBC team.

• 130 prettyfoot58
      March 20, 2013 at 10:56 am

Now they are out and They Want THEIR Party Back.

***********************************

and just who would that be…

the coalition that the President has forged belongs to noone….
      does this foretell a future battle within the DEM party…

• 131 Vicki
        March 20, 2013 at 11:29 am

I think so.

On the day of GWB inauguration the Clintons held a competing press conference at the airport. Unprecedented in ungracious behavior.

Expect a daily barrage of camera grabbing from Clinton Contingent.

• 132 57andfemale
      March 20, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I saw the marriage equality clip, and knew that Hillary is running in 2016.

36. 133 Debra
    March 20, 2013 at 10:22 am

Nice pictures in Israel of President Obama.

37. March 20, 2013 at 10:27 am

Good morning all. Lovelyplains, thanks for the breakfast buffet and the breathtaking picture to start this first day of spring.

March 20, 2013 at 10:28 am

uugghh. amanpour peddling sadaam was really, really a monster, propaganda on teann.

Wasn’t she the same one who was pally, pally with that dictator before?

39. 140 Nena20409
    March 20, 2013 at 10:31 am

GM TODers.

Wow, LP, my goodness, you are on Heavenly fire this morning. A Tip of the Hat to you, LovelyPlains.

I am on cloud nine ;) with all the information. :cool:

I was on the phone this AM ripping CSPAN for they had some Chinese crap Live and late the House Of Commons and NOTHING about pres Obama Live on any of their 3 channels. Shame. 202-737-3220/3038

March 20, 2013 at 10:36 am
    • 143 99ts
      March 20, 2013 at 10:42 am

Hi amk – I talked a little cricket back on the old thread – what time is it in your world – I have no idea – I keep thinking you are just above us on the map – so must be similar time zones – but that is probably as wrong as my geography.

As for the war criminals – when someone gets 3 years jail for pointing out holes in computer security – while Rumsfeld and friends who lied about those WMD – resulting in over 100,000 deaths – are free to live on their government largesse – it makes a mockery of justice.

• 144 amk for obama
        March 20, 2013 at 10:49 am

Hi 99ts (wth, ts stands for anyway ? Also. Too. 99)

My time now is 20:17 mil time.

If there is really an effing god (which I seriously doubt, given the misery all around the world), these bastids be should rotting in jail for life.

• 145 99ts
          March 20, 2013 at 11:00 am

The t stands for Trish – the 99 is cause I kept trying to make the initials “unique in a sign on” and got to 10 and then said wth – and hit 99.

Only reason I pray there is a god – cause I’d love to be the proverbial fly on the pearly gates when they turn up. I’ve probably regretted the odd stupid thing I’ve done in my life – I just wonder how these guys ever get to sleep at night.

Timewise – I think u are 4.5 hours behind me – always thought South Australia was the only place that did the 30 minute time zone – things I learn on Todd

• 146 amk for obama
            March 20, 2013 at 11:51 am

“I kept trying to make the initials “unique in a sign on” and got to 10 and then said wth – and hit 99.”
            :D

• 147 Bill
        March 20, 2013 at 11:00 am

As did his disciple Cheney, Rumsfeld made millions by using his public sector connections in private business and then returning for his final act by sending the country into one of our most disastrous episodes of all time.

41. March 20, 2013 at 10:41 am

OK 1 pic, (Must put down the computer) then I get to look forward to all the goodness Chips puts together……

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• 149 99ts
      March 20, 2013 at 10:43 am

Impressive picture – thanks lp

• March 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Beautiful day. This is a snippet from the Haaretz paper. Someone posted the link. I’m sorry, I can’t remember who to give credit to for link. I thought the last paragraph was nice. The rest of article was about the security precautions, etc. Interesting, but you have to register.
      “In honor of the visit we scrubbed the highways and the city streets, and hung about 1,000 Israeli, U.S. and Jerusalem Municipality flags,” said Jerusalem mayor Nir Barkat. “We will illuminate the walls of the Old City with decorative lighting during the entire visit, at night too – so that the president will be able to see the walls and the beauty of Jerusalem from his hotel window, and the many media teams will be able to broadcast from here on the backdrop of the illuminated walls, which will be exposed to the entire world.”

March 20, 2013 at 10:45 am

Dratz again.

43. 152 donna dem 4 obama
    March 20, 2013 at 10:55 am

Okay Lovelyplains…I have one serious complaint!!!!!!!!!

You’re giving me far too much goodness to consume at one time. I’m suppose to be working!! Great Job ;)

Good Morning TOD!!!

44. 153 japa21
    March 20, 2013 at 10:55 am
  45. 154 Nena20409
    March 20, 2013 at 11:02 am

Our Amk was asking a few threads back if TeaNN,…oops, CNN has responded to their deplorable reporting on Sunday about the Rape case in OH.

Now they have finally. I didn’t read it. But here is a link:

• 155 99ts
      March 20, 2013 at 11:09 am

No apology – no mention of Crowley and this is a 2nd hand response from the other one
      ‘Poppy is taking this extremely personally as a woman,’ said one executive. ‘She’s outraged that someone would think she’d do such a thing’ as slant her coverage toward rapists. ‘It’s gotten so out of control.’

Outraged – she is just outraged that people would criticize her coverage. They just love themselves – they are so perfect – just like those who started this 10 years of war war and war (and my PM was in the middle of it – sharing the love with GWB)

• 156 Nena20409
        March 20, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Yep. I have just finished reading it. It was for Not. Just the headline was deceiving. I should have read that before ever linking it.

My apologies to This site.

• 157 99ts
          March 20, 2013 at 6:25 pm

No apology needed – it was more confirmation of how they make the news – rather than report it – all about self – still no mention of the victim.

• March 20, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Their coverage and others bothered me too. It reminded of this painting by Edgar Degas…

March 20, 2013 at 11:19 am
  47. 165 japa21
    March 20, 2013 at 11:19 am
    March 20, 2013 at 11:20 am
  49. 167 japa21
    March 20, 2013 at 11:24 am
  50. March 20, 2013 at 11:24 am

Wow, Lovely Plains, above and beyond the call of duty! You deserve an all-star award.

Thanks SO MUCH for posting the picture of Biden arriving in Rome. Love the pic, and agree with Carolyn on last night’s thread about the priceless expression on the security guy’s face.

Also love the pic of Biden with Susanna “I-accept-Medicare-exchanges-for-New-Mexico” Martinez taking a snap of a fan. Great fun. Gov. Martinez is the true GOP rising star. Her convention speech was great, and of course the old-boy MSM network pretty much never mentions her name, preferring to promote that weasel, Rand Paul. Why do GOP leaders all seem to have such whiney voices (Reince Priebus being the worst.)

But of course, the pic of President Obama giving TODers the sly eye definitely takes the cake.

THANK YOU!

March 20, 2013 at 11:25 am

What a nice reception from the children! I don’t see any tweets from Mark Knoller….must not have anything bad to report.

52. 172 99ts
    March 20, 2013 at 11:28 am

Sleep time here – nite all – have a great day

53. March 20, 2013 at 11:30 am

It must kill Ben Wiederman to have to share air time with the rape-apologists at CNN (he’s the Richard Engel of CNN).

Appalling that CNN endorses what even Todd Akin would agree is “legitimate rape” but they side with gang rapists. Rape is a bad enough horror, but to be gang-raped? All CNN journalists need to taken aside and told to think before they speak.

54. 176 Bill
    March 20, 2013 at 11:33 am

Wonkette has a alternative name for NBC’s Political Director, “Fuck Toad”.

March 20, 2013 at 11:36 am
  56. 178 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    March 20, 2013 at 11:38 am

Lovely Plains, you and PBO are on my list… I have scheduled office hours on day a week (other times by appointment) — ON WEDNESDAYS! How am I supposed to get my work done (this is crunch time – last 10 days of discount) when you’ve posted such great reading material and PBO is traveling??? I hate when work life collides head-on with my passion for civics…

57. March 20, 2013 at 11:38 am

If the GOP and plutocrats get their way, only the wealthy will be “allowed” access to education:

This goes hand-in-hand with GOP belief that it’s better to have uneducated and unskilled undocumented youth rather than offer them in-state tuition to colleges in locations these youth have lived most of their lives.

• 180 Bill
      March 20, 2013 at 11:46 am

The school is the College of the Ozarks, an evangelical Christian school located near Branson, Missouri. It probably is not a trend.

• March 20, 2013 at 12:00 pm

True enough, but it supports a trend that only certain people “deserve” an education or apprenticeship training, which is not what this country is all about.

Appreciate all of your TOD comments. I’m blown away by how well-informed TODers are.

• 182 LunarSea
      March 20, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Talk about dumb moves. People who can pay their way won’t go to a nothing college like that on. How long before they close their doors or start recruiting ppl with student loans? 2yrs max? 4 if they let go a bunch of teachers and drop salary on the rest.

Egads but I love the way they crumble!

• 183 Bill
        March 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm

It is not as bad as it sounds. They have some sort of work program and very few of the students have loans. I have often wondered where students from the evangelical schools find jobs.

• 184 LunarSea
          March 20, 2013 at 12:35 pm

So how many zombies kids live around there? And if they’re bartering work, that means the school will be taking in even less than first thought. Can’t wait to hear it’s gone up in flames of righteous indignation against students with loans. LMAO

58. March 20, 2013 at 11:53 am

To my friends at TODville

March 20, 2013 at 11:54 am

French police search the Paris apartment of IMF chief Christine Lagarde, as part of an investigation into alleged abuse of her authority as finance minister.

Shouldn’t imf as an “org” have been dismantled by now given it’s disastrous performance ?

60. 187 carolyn
    March 20, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Perhaps a little OT here…..but I am not concerned for the President’s security while in Israel for several reasons: 1. There is not the bigoted, fanatical hatred for him there, or anywhere else. 2. Israeli security is superb, in fact, they probably invented modern security.
    In 1970, three years after the six day war in 1967, my parents flew to Europe and Africa, and flew through Tel Aviv on El Al. When they got home they talked about “security” on El Al, a practically unknown concept at that time. What they described in 1970 made present day security look incomplete and vague. El Al has been advising other airlines and companies on security. We did not have any “security” on our airlines at that time. Many of you are too young to remember the days when people dashed to the airport ten minutes before flight time, ran to the gate, ran on to the plane barely having their ticket checked.
    I fear much more for our president when he travels in the U.S. than when he is overseas. To have something happen to POTUS while on Israeli soil would be such a blot on their pride, it would never happen. Did you see all the Israeli helicopters take off after the President’s? He obviously felt comfortable enough to take of his jacket, as he would be a very visible target in that white shirt surrounded by all the black suits.

61. 193 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    March 20, 2013 at 12:03 pm
    • 194 jackiegrumbacher
      March 20, 2013 at 12:32 pm

This has always been so obvious a solution that it astounds me that Democrats are not pounding on it every single day. I just don’t get why we don’t simply life the income gap and I never have.