Mar

Rise and Shine….It’s The Weekend!

386411_1

President Obama stops to look at the Treasury during his tour of the ancient city of Petra.

*****

2013-03-23T101525Z_1_CBRE92M0SIX00_RTROPTP_3_JORDAN-OBAMA

President Barack Obama walks with Suleiman al-Farajat, a tourism professor at the University of Jordan, past an ancient shrine during his walking tour of Petra.

*****

Barack Obama

*****

Obama_Petra_2518056b

President Barack Obama participates in a walking tour with Suleiman al-Farajat, a tourism professor at the University of Jordan, in Petra

*****

*****

image

*****

m1nxbpraeswn_std640

*****

All posts from the Middle East trip here

BF-kLBSCMAATCIo

Lloyd Austin to Lead U.S. Central Command

General Lloyd Austin became the first African-American to lead the U.S. Central Command, which has a wide-ranging area of responsibility for 20 countries in the Middle East and southwest Asia. His appointment is effective immediately.

During the change of command ceremony today, Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel said, “General Austin brings to this position combat experience gained on the unforgiving battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan. He has commanded some of the Army’s most storied formations, including the 82nd Airborne and 10th Mountain Divisions, as well as the 18th Airborne Corps…With his calm demeanor, strategic vision, regional experience and knowledge, and proven judgment – and with the love and support of Charlene and their children – I am confident General Austin is prepared to lead this command at a time of dramatic change, challenge, and turmoil in its area of responsibility.”

More here

*****

gop-conspiracy-nuts

The numbers prove it: The GOP is estranged from America

Andrew Kohut:  While there are no catchy phrases for the Republicans of 2013, their image problems are readily apparent in national polls. The GOP has come to be seen as the more extreme party, the side unwilling to compromise or negotiate seriously to tackle the economic turmoil that challenges the nation. The Republican Party’s ratings now stand at a 20-year low, with just 33 percent of the public holding a favorable view of the party and 58 percent judging it unfavorably, according to a recent Pew Research Center survey. Although the Democrats are better regarded (47 percent favorable and 46 percent unfavorable), the GOP’s problems are its own, not a mirror image of renewed Democratic strength.

More here

*****

6a00d8341bf80c53ef0154327f837f970c-200pi

The GOP’s Three Fiscal Lies

Michael Tomasky: The first is this canard that we have to balance the budget. Absurd. There is no reason to balance the budget. None. Ever. Oh, it’s nice if it happens—that is, if it happens as a result of an economy that’s shooting skyward like a bottle rocket, as Bill Clinton’s was. That’s something to feel good about. It was an astonishing accomplishment for Clinton, that he brought us into surplus for that brief golden age before George W. Bush and his advisers, those secret agents of world communism, started destroying American capital. But there is no need for a balanced budget. High deficits of the sort we’ve had since the meltdown are unsustainable over the long-term because they’ll require that too much money be spent servicing the debt. So that would be a problem.

However, the deficit has already fallen (since 2009) from 10 percent of GDP to 7 percent, and it’s falling even more. It’s probably headed down to 4 percent of GDP. That’s fine. It’s going to be fine. Provided: the economy comes back strongly. And this brings us to the second key point. What would help a still struggling economy come back strongly? A little boost, obviously. A little—dare I say it!—stimulus. A modest infrastructure program. The one thing that will hurt the economy, serious economists agree? Austerity. Austerity slows the economy down. Ask David Cameron. Well, he might not tell the truth. So don’t ask him. But ask most Britons.

More here

*****

215 Responses to “Rise and Shine….It’s The Weekend!”

1. 1 JER
    March 23, 2013 at 9:45 am

Good Morning All.

2. March 23, 2013 at 9:45 am

Good Morning TODers! I am proud of the successes of President Obama’s Middle East Trip.

I continue to be thankful for the treasure who is our President.

3. 6 JER
    March 23, 2013 at 9:45 am

Great job, UT.

4. 7 JER
    March 23, 2013 at 9:46 am
  5. March 23, 2013 at 9:47 am

UT, another Fabulous Rise and Shine! :-)

6. March 23, 2013 at 9:49 am

G’morning UT, Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone, and congrats JER, swb, and mariele for 1st-place tie! :)

Thanks UT for these beautiful pics and wonderful round-up!

March 23, 2013 at 9:50 am

What, no SS detail with him ?

8. 18 GGAIL
    March 23, 2013 at 9:52 am

Good West Coast morning…again. Just as I finish typing…the new thread posted. Thanks UT. Congts JER on first!

March 23, 2013 at 9:57 am

Morning! Thanks for this R/S UT…and congrats to JER for being 1st this wonderful Saturday morning:) Just woke up, having my coffee and trying to actually wake up….good to be on Spring break!!

• 21 HZ
      March 23, 2013 at 11:53 am

GM, Desertflower and Besty, enjoy your Spring Break. I have those memories of those precious days. Take in all of the rest and beauty of your time. Love you dear ones. Thanks for all that you do for our beautiful future of wonderful young people. ((((Lots of rest for both of you))))HZ

March 23, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Spring Break, running into the Easter weekend? Nice, Desertf, Betsy, Maryl and other other U S teachers! Enjoy! Hope you didn’t give any SP assignments that will then greet you on your return?

I guess this means the competition for first will be sharper this week with all the teachers putting on their jogging shoes, muscling up, and joining in. :grin:

March 23, 2013 at 9:59 am

Happy 3rd birthday to OBAMACARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• March 23, 2013 at 11:15 am

Yay for Obamacare which is helping so many Americans! We will all have to pitch in and help enroll people this fall when the sign-ups for the exchanges start. Let’s pledge to get educated to help guide folks through the process so they don’t miss out. OFA will have trainings for us in every state over the summer. You might even want to attend an ACA anniversary event this weekend. You’re all invited to my house in Portland, OR Sunday at 3 if you can make it for carrot cake and brainstorming! :)

• 25 HZ
        March 23, 2013 at 11:57 am

GM, Judith. Thanks for your dedication and beautiful work for helping us move forward with ACA. Enjoy your lovely day on Sunday. That is very nice to share in that manner. Thanks for all that you do.HZ

11. March 23, 2013 at 10:12 am

Weekly Address: Helping Protect Our Kids by Reducing Gun Violence

12. 30 mtmarilyn
    March 23, 2013 at 10:14 am

Good morning TOD family, Chips and our wonderful UT!!!!! What a great Rise and Shine!Petra is one place I would like to go. This trip has once again proved what a great President we have. I do feel so privileged to be alive while he is President and to be a part of this very special community! Now I have to go back and catch up on all the speeches and press conferences.

Thank you all for all the great links and commentary.

• 31 HZ
      March 23, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Hi mtmarilyn. I have missed you. It is so nice to be up early and to see all of you. You words are so beautiful and so true. I feel the same about our beautiful gift, our President.

Thanks so much Chips, and to our UT. This is such a wonderful wake up to behold him in this setting. Thank you, Mr. President for being so wonderful as our President. We are enjoying living this history with you, Mr. President.HZ

13. March 23, 2013 at 10:18 am

“Video- Real Time: Bill Maher Battles Conservative Panelist Over GOP Hypocrisy, Calls American People ‘Morons’”

March 23, 2013 at 10:21 am
    March 23, 2013 at 10:22 am

Congratulations to JER and Swbluega! You both tied for first place.

16. 41 anniebella
    March 23, 2013 at 10:26 am

Did anyone catch any of Chris Hayes show this morning. I know I usually don’t watch it but when I was turning the channel I saw they were discussing President Obama trip to Israel, and right away some of the panel were lying about what the President did or didn’t say. Some woman name Noura Erakat / Georgetown lied when she said POTUS didn’t mention the kind of difficult life the Palestine live, to his credit Hayes corrected her, then there was this guy name Rashid Khalidi, I could not listen to to much of them cause I could tell it was going to be anti-Obama, so I turn the channel.

• 42 theo67
      March 23, 2013 at 11:29 am

Chris Hayes’ shows always seem to have a high level of Obama-bashing, which is why I think he’s been promoted to prime time. This is why I don’t watch Chris Hayes morning show, and I have absolutely no intention of wasting an hour of my evening listening to misinformation and negativity in the evening. The beauty is that I’m getting time back to do other stuff.

17. 43 carolyn
    March 23, 2013 at 10:26 am

Once again, our President makes history!
    Thank you for those great pictures, UT. I’m astounded at how quickly you got them and posted them.
    Petra is on my bucket list too…..as someone else upthread said…..I think the president’s word “Spectacular” suits it.
    So glad to see our President looking relaxed this morning, and getting to be a tourist for a change. He worked SO hard this week, and now SOS Kerry takes over for diplomatic work. A good solid foundation has been laid.

March 23, 2013 at 10:31 am

You TOD’ers are freaking fantastic! I just received a message from WordPress today that since I began helping Chipsticks out by uploading posts, I have gotten over 101 Likes. 101!!!!! My jaw dropped. Thank you, thank you thank you so much for the wonderful feedback to my posts. It is humbly appreciated.

Thank you. :D

March 23, 2013 at 10:50 am

Italy’s centre-left leader Pier Luigi Bersani has been asked by the president to try to form a new government, following inconclusive elections.

Mr Bersani’s Democratic Party (PD) won control of the lower house of parliament in February’s poll, but fell short of a majority in the Senate.

Mr Bersani has ruled out a coalition with Silvio Berlusconi’s centre-right coalition, which finished second.

If no solution is found, the country could face fresh elections.

• 84 Vicki
      March 23, 2013 at 11:10 am

I saw that in the NYTimes this morning too and I think it is good news: Hollande in France, Bersani , maybe , in Italy, Greece’s Syrizia party,though not in power, led by Tsipras gaining strength, Netanyahu curbed a bit by Lapid and Livni—the people may be getting more of a voice.Wouldn’t that be something?

On another high note after reading the tremendous amount of positive press coming out of Israel ie; “Obama came, he saw, he conquered”
      I am struck once more by the power of PBO. Here is what I think lies at the heart of his magic—POTUS comes to meet you in whatever world you inhabit. He doesn’t insist that you come to meet him in his.
      His empathy and ability to walk in another persons shoes is a great strength and quite a contrst to infantile politicians that screech “My way do it my way.”

Young Israelis were crying when Obama’s plane took off. They asked why he can’t be the PM of Israel. Well, here is why. He is ours and we will not let him go.

• 85 amk for obama
        March 23, 2013 at 11:18 am

‘They asked why he can’t be the PM of Israel.’

yeah, tellmeaboutit.

• 86 globalcitizenlinda
        March 23, 2013 at 11:23 am

please provide the links to these reports – I need to read them and share them with the O-hating people I am trying so hard to convince

• 87 Vicki
          March 23, 2013 at 11:41 am

I read through a lot of what is on-line Al-Monitor, The Times of Israel, Israel News, Haaretz, even Adelson’s Israel HaYom. Uniformly positive even gushing.
          Sorry Globalcitizen Linda i don’t have the knack of posting from another site.

• 88 Audrey
            March 23, 2013 at 9:23 pm

There was a round up in the New York Times yesterday. Some of the students in the audience for PBO’s speech wrote about the speech and the effect it had on them. Very positive.

• March 23, 2013 at 11:32 am

Your comment “POTUS comes to me you in whatever world you inhabit” expresses what I think about him so elegantly. I remember a class that talked about bringing about change. There was first order change and second order change. One is change that is not threatening. The other is change that threatens or frightens people because it goes against some deeply held value. The key is to “come along side” a person by finding a common interest or value and showing how the change supports that value. So in your words, you come to the person you want to change in their world, and then show them the connection to your world and how they will benefit by joining you. I’m not expressing it very well, but I think President Obama is the past master at it.

• 90 theo67
        March 23, 2013 at 11:32 am

Beautiful post. :)

March 23, 2013 at 10:57 am
    March 23, 2013 at 11:03 am

IMPORTANT!!! http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022555109

WH petition https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/please-consider-and-promote-progressive-caucus-budget-plan-we-feel-it-most-equitable/10078lWf

We have LOTS of work to do if we’re to get the sigs needed on this. Enough of the Ryan budget bs…THIS is exactly the kind of budget that we need to move this country forward and fix what needs to be fixed and put people back to work!

22. March 23, 2013 at 11:05 am

Yoko on posted a pic of the bloodied glasses of John Lennon on twitter, she explains why…..

23. 107 globalcitizenlinda
    March 23, 2013 at 11:19 am

I noticed that the usual head of POTUS’ USSS protective detail did not show up in the clips or photos of his trip to Israel, Palestine and Jordan.

I hope he is just taking a training break (or much-needed vacy) because I am so used to seeing him around PBO – selfish of me and resistant to change.

I know that the people in the security detail are all capable and dedicated individuals who sacrifice a lot for The First Family and us all. I am very grateful for their selfless service

• 108 theo67
      March 23, 2013 at 11:35 am

Yes, I feel more comfortable with familiar faces around POTUS – especially when he’s travelling to potentially hostile places, like the Middle East or Capital Hill.

• 109 theo67
        March 23, 2013 at 11:36 am

Make that “Capitol Hill”.

• March 23, 2013 at 11:39 am

“…. potentially hostile places, like the Middle East or Capital Hill.”

:lol:

• 111 carolyn
          March 23, 2013 at 12:35 pm

re: SS…..yes, I noticed our Silver Fox was not on this trip. Is he the head of the detail, or is the bald man head of the detail? Anyway, I issed the silver fox. (HZ and I call him that) Hope he hasn’t been hit by the sequester. I too like to recognize his SS detail!

• 112 carolyn
            March 23, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I “missed”….sometimes the”m” doesn’t connect for me!

• 113 globalcitizenlinda
            March 23, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Agent Silver Fox is the head of the “main/primary” detail, Agent SS is the head of the alternative/back-up detail. the two teams alternate duty.

• 114 HZ
              March 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Yes, carolyn and globalcitizenlinda. That is the first thing I look for along with finding Pete Souza in the group. I notice our Silver Fox was not present this time. But the other cool shaved wear those glasses professor was right there. I think they do alternate with their duties. They are my most trusted and fine ones to be near our President and Family.

We give so much thanks to those who work so professionally to protect our most valuable gift, our POTUS. HZ

24. March 23, 2013 at 11:20 am
    • 116 99ts
      March 23, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I remember when the media were saying Health care was dead – 2010 – & the President had to help get it all together. I do wonder what happens to the congress support – why do they need PBO to do it all? Or is this just the media?

• 117 globalcitizenlinda
      March 23, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I wish the plans would stay a secret so that there is less time for a counter attack from the gun lobby

• March 23, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I think the counterattack actually helps in an odd way….It brings more attention, where the media would otherwise ignore in most cases. Tommorw LaPierre and Bloomberg on MTP, so the crazier things he says the better.

• March 23, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Counter from NRA or gun lobby might help us. They are not hiding their greed and crazy beliefs. People are seeing them for what they are.

25. March 23, 2013 at 11:22 am

Could some of you brilliant political analysts tell us what just happened with the CR that passed both houses with the sequester in place and NRA goodies hidden throughout? I really want to know if the President would even want to sign this turkey just to keep the government running for the rest of the fiscal year. What kind of hellish trade-off does that entail, and is it really the best this damn Congress can do?

March 23, 2013 at 11:26 am
    • 126 HZ
      March 23, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Thank you hopefruit2. You are so right.HZ

• March 23, 2013 at 12:59 pm

She’s kidding right? The 24 hour media could have dissected this thing from day one and told people what was actually in the bill and what it would and would not do. They had all the time in the world to do this but decided GOP lies and other tripe had validity. The media didn’t do their jobs and now they want to know why the truth never got out?

I seem to remember a segment MHP did showing how Romney’s sons could help him win the election. Complete with toy dolls! Maybe. Just maybe she could have foregone that and talked about how ACA is moving America from fee per service to fee per results. That’s huge and the entire bill is filled with game changers.

It’s not just her but she’s in it.

27. March 23, 2013 at 11:29 am

Wouldn’t you love to have even half of the time off that Congress takes? They technically only work weekends. With 52 weeks in a year times two days is 104 days. They worked (Iif you can call it that) 109 days last year – pathetic!

• March 23, 2013 at 11:55 am

Might not seem so bad if they actually did some significant work while they were there. 39 votes to appeal the ACA, re-submitting the Ryan Budget, obstructing confirmations, etc….

If you take the wasted time into consideration you don’t even get a full year of weekends.

March 23, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Federal workers all over this country (and some around the world), of which I was one, work about 2,080 hours a year, holding down the fort, so these users can slack off.

• March 23, 2013 at 12:44 pm

First class healthcare, six to seven figure income, most expenses paid more perks than you can shake a stick at….

I’d like to take this opportunity to announce my candidacy for Congress. What seat I’m running for I couldn’t tell you. But still.

28. 132 Nena20409
    March 23, 2013 at 11:30 am

Wow. I have finally here.

Well done UT.

18M hits. :) Congratulations :!:

POTUS and the babies.

Here’s Queen. You All are the Chips…ion ;) Champion :cool:

29. 133 Nena20409
    March 23, 2013 at 11:31 am

I am Finally here…oops ;) again?

March 23, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Hi, Chips – These videos are unbelievable. Thank you, and enjoy your weekend!

• March 23, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Have a great weekend too Jacqueline! The mighty UT will be posting next and I’ll follow that up later with a round-up type thingie. All these new blog tyrants are spoiling me!

• 140 HZ
      March 23, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Did anyone else see the guard put his hand over his heart in a “thank-you pat with love” when POB went up and spoke and extended his handshake with the gentlemen? It was so respectful and elegant. Our beautiful President gives respects no matter where he is in this world, and people with a grateful heart gives back.

((((((((((( Blessings and Loving Protection To Our President))))))))))))HZ

• March 23, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Oh, I missed that moment HZ, running back to check – thank you!!!

• 142 carolyn
          March 23, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I went back and looked again, and yes, the Jordanian guard put his hand over his heart, but first he saluted the president. Wow.

• 143 globalcitizenlinda
          March 23, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I noted that as soon as I saw the first video I saw out (the clip from Telegraph UK that is posted) and that is one of the reasons I have replayed it 10 times so far – but who is counting.

it made think that this handshake was totally unexpected and that other dignitaries seldom acknowledge the people who are standing guard.

the exchange reminded me of the PBO handshake with the policemen at Number 10 during his first visit

March 23, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Oh, my, I hope “we” find that. I haven’t had a good Obama cry since my last good Obama cry! Tears (for our President) are good for the soul!

• March 23, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Just looked at it HZ, what a lovely, lovely moment! At: 0:38

• 148 theo67
        March 23, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I saw that and had to rewind it a few times. It was so heartfelt.

30. March 23, 2013 at 11:31 am
  31. 150 Nena20409
    March 23, 2013 at 11:35 am

Love this song, a tad bitter sweet:

It took a lot of courage…..Freddie Mercury’s last Video.

32. March 23, 2013 at 11:51 am

Apparently Miss Israel is like the wimmin (ask AMK would say) here on TOD…….

• 154 amk for obama
      March 23, 2013 at 12:37 pm

And chips is ‘nervous’ about me ? Unbelievable.

• 155 Audrey
      March 23, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I think it’s rude and disrespectful of the interviewer to ask this young woman the question about the president’s wife being jealous. Way to trivialize an important gesture to encourage diversity in a country with its fair share of problems with its minorities and also to give a young woman who could easily be pbo’s daughter a once in a life time opportunity to meet her role model.
      I can’t imagine anyone asking similar questions about previous First Ladies. This rampant effort to reduce an accomplished, capable, ivy league trained professional woman into some idle, insecure hanger-on to her husband who’s just sitting around threatened by any and every woman, is totally assinine and also portrays the president as a frivolous and indisciplined man. This has to stop.

• March 23, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Silver lining…..reporters on every continent are ignorant?

• 157 Audrey
          March 23, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Uinfortunately the damage has been done as evidenced by the young lady’s hunk comment. Silly questions like the one asked by the interviewer I think changed the tone and context of the meeting even for the young lady. She was meeting the married historic leader of the free world who she considered her role model. She wasn’t meeting brad pitt for a hang out. I suspect that even brad pitt would be a bit taken aback if a young kid he inspired to succeed reduced their high profile meeting to his hunkness. The president and first lady are old enough to be her parents and were it not for the innuendo-filled headlines surrounding this meeting, this young lady who was raised to be more respectful of her elders would not be summarizing such a historic opportunity with such a powerful role model in such shallow terms.

33. March 23, 2013 at 11:55 am

OMG this made my weekend….this is how the press core traveled in Petra, Jordan

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

34. 171 Asher in Boston
    March 23, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Hi, everyone. Glad my President is on his way back home.

35. 172 Jovie
    March 23, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Not good. The first gun control legislation failed last night.
    Inhoffe put an amendment banning the US to be a participant in the Arms treaty in the UN.

Just what is it about congress and the UN that they are so afraid of?

• 173 Bill
      March 23, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Ted Cruz once was ranting against a UN resolution that he said would outlaw golf courses and paved roads in the US.

36. March 23, 2013 at 12:09 pm

President Obama souvenier shopping in Petra, Jordan

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

37. 181 MightyPamela
    March 23, 2013 at 12:18 pm

G’day, y’all! Crumping along out here- now I’m signed in, a new thread will open!

38. 182 Jovie
    March 23, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Btw- in the budget that passed last night, 100 billion went toward stimulus.
    Just an observation.

March 23, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Wow, UT. Unbelievable photos and videos from the trip. Thank you so much for putting these together for us.

And congratulations to General Lloyd Austin, who will now head the U.S. Central Command. Big hopes for a successful and scandal-free tour for him, as we wind down what I wish could be The Last War.

March 23, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I don’t think villagers here have checked out the #ACA Health State Map, at least not for a while. Today is a good day to check the stories of real people from your state.

March 23, 2013 at 12:28 pm

With all your honor and dignity, what would you do? Please don’t answer without giving it serious thought. By giving an honest answer you will be able to test where you stand morally.

The test features an unlikely, completely fictional situation, where you will have to make a decision one way or the other. Please scroll down slowly and consider each line – this is important for the test to work accurately.

You’re in Florida … in Miami, to be exact. There is great chaos going on around you, caused by a hurricane and severe floods. There are huge masses of water all over you. You are a news photographer and you are in the middle of this great disaster. The situation is nearly hopeless. You’re trying to shoot very impressive photos. There are houses and people floating around you, disappearing into the water. Nature is showing all its destructive power.

Suddenly you see a man in the water, fighting for his life, trying not to be taken away by the masses of water and mud. You move closer. Somehow the man looks familiar.

Then, you know who it is – it’s George W. Bush!

At the same time you notice that the raging waters are about to take him away, forever….

Now, you have two options. You can save him or you can take the best photo of your life. So you can save the life of George W. Bush, or you can shoot a Pulitzer prize winning photo, a unique photo displaying the death of one of the world’s most powerful men.

And here’s the question (please give an honest answer):

Would you select color film, or rather go with the simplicity of classic black and white?

• March 23, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Whatever is in the camera…

March 23, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Well, we shouldn’t joke, and we must give credit to W, but I must admit, morally speaking, I think I’d rather see dick Cheney in the raging waters. Then, strictly as a reporter, I might yell out, “Any regrets, dick?” And then I’d hope that his old hunting buddy wouldn’t pick up his rifle – strictly in an attempt to kill off any Florida alligators that might be schooling, if alligators school – and accidentally blast the dick. And then I’d choose the simplicity of classic black and white, and win that Pulitzer. How’s that? Too heartless?

42. 194 99ts
    March 23, 2013 at 12:30 pm

It’s late late here – nite all – enjoy the day

43. 196 Jovie
    March 23, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Is Dana Milbank going to be ok? Jeesh!
    No new ground breaking achievements on trip??
    Well, neither did 4k years of Arab and Hebrew Leaders and 2k years of Christian, Jewish and Muslim Leaders.
    Again- jeesh!

44. March 23, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Great photos and posts and captions UT, thanks. Congrats JER! For Nena….

March 23, 2013 at 12:52 pm

As a crowded airliner is about to take off, the peace is shattered by a 5-year-old boy who picks that moment to throw a wild temper tantrum. No matter what his frustrated, embarrassed mother does to try to calm him down, the boy continues to scream furiously and kick the seats around him.

Suddenly, from the rear of the plane, an elderly man in the uniform of an Air Force General is seen slowly walking forward up the aisle. Stopping the flustered mother with an upraised hand, the white-haired, courtly, soft-spoken General leans down and, motioning toward his chest, whispers something into the boy’s ear.

Instantly, the boy calms down, gently takes his mother’s hand, and quietly fastens his seat belt. All the other passengers burst into spontaneous applause.

As the General slowly makes his way back to his seat, one of the cabin attendants touches his sleeve. “Excuse me, General,” she asks quietly, “but could I ask you what magic words you used on that little boy?”

The old man smiles serenely and gently confides, “I showed him my pilot’s wings, service stars, and battle ribbons, and explained that they entitle me to throw one passenger out the plane door on any flight I choose.”

46. 201 JER
    March 23, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Photo: U.S. President Barack Obama waves as he boards Air Force One at the airport in Amman March 23, 2013. – http://gdb.voanews.com/0138E59E-A52F-402E-BB0D-67B68A9E8148_mw1024_n_s.jpg

47. March 23, 2013 at 12:53 pm

YouTube suggested I check this out and I’m sharing it here…
    Must do taxes today.

48. 203 Nena20409
    March 23, 2013 at 12:55 pm

A truly Funny delicious Irony happened this Passover and Easter coming week.

Beck, Downey Roma started with their delusion trying to dominate president Obama’s trip to the Holy Land with Their Version of Racist devil.

Karma, Prudence, Fate, Law of Nature, etc said Hell No.

Those forces said: Not this time and their wicked ways were washed out, over and totally decimated with Goodness. Hmm as HF would blog here ;)

So on that, I say proudly to Pres Obama: To Sir, With Love :)

Lulu….

49. 204 Nena20409
    March 23, 2013 at 12:58 pm

The Original is best:

To Sir With Love, Pres Obama :)

50. March 23, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Thank you HZ!

51. March 23, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Happy Saturday, everyone!

LL – hope all continues to progress well for your wife.

Fred – if you are lurking, keeping you in my thoughts.

bbl …

#FORWARD

52. March 23, 2013 at 1:09 pm
  53. 210 prettyfoot58
    March 23, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Greetingssssssssss MsChipssssss and TODville…

Awesome picsssss UT….i have loved this trip…i must admit i have been very worried about PBOs safety….such a volatile part of the world…but as i listened to the President not only address the Israeli students present in the auditorium…but the world at large….i was in awe at his courage…his hope. ..but not as he has said blind optimism but the hope of folks who want a better future..and his clearness of purpse….i get all weepy and filled with so much pride…someone commented in an earlier thread that they wish PBOs mom and grandmother were here to see what he has become….and that we here at TOD have become members of his extended family….that we all encircle him in our loving and respectful embrace….

a question,,,

i know that the gifts that PBO receives he cannot keep….but the Presidential Medal that was bestowed on him by President Peres…is he allowed to keep that…

• March 23, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Gorgeous comment Prettyfoot!

• 212 prettyfoot58
        March 23, 2013 at 2:34 pm

TY MsChipsss…

this from smartypants said so much to me….

The audacity of trust

Since those days I’ve often thought about the healing power of trust. It is a powerful elixir that most of us are too fearful to extend to others – much less ourselves. We are so broken inside from our disappointments that we spend enormous amounts of energy protecting our vulnerability….

Imagine that…going into the most conflict-ridden part of the world today and talking about the fact that Jews and Muslims and Palestinians “hold more hopes in common than fears that drive us apart.” Now THAT’s audacious! He championed hope in a place that is plagued by fear because he trusts the audience he was speaking to.
        I believe that’s why they responded so powerfully to what he had to say – because that was my own personal response to a trust so fearlessly extended. That kind of gift from another person wakes up your soul.

**************************************
        #TrustBarack…He has earned it

March 23, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Ms. Parker [Emilie's mother] said she told Peter Lanza that there was an opportunity to learn from the killings and that his cooperation was vital.

55. 215 globalcitizenlinda
    March 23, 2013 at 1:29 pm

ok, I admit that I am badly behaved because I would gladly give the contents of my piggy bank to see a video of the media in their horse-drawn carriages from Petra- name & clear faces if possible