Mar

Pete Souza photos: President Obama’s trip to the Middle East

President Barack Obama and Dr. Suleiman A.D. Al Farajat, a University of Jordan tourism professor, jump from a ledge of the Nabataean Amphitheater during a walking tour the ancient city of Petra in Jordan, March 23

President Barack Obama shakes hands during a meet and greet at the U.S. Consulate in Jerusalem, March 21

President Barack Obama meets National Security Advisor Tom Donilon, left, and Ben Rhodes, Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications, in the conference room aboard Air Force One en route to Tel Aviv, Israel, March 20

President Barack Obama greets members of Hora, a local children’s dance troupe, before departing Israeli President Shimon Peres’ residence in Jerusalem, March 20

President Barack Obama watch a dance performance at the Al-Bireh Youth Resource Development Center in Ramallah, the West Bank, March 21, 2013. Dr. Samih Al-Abed, Chairman of the Board, Al-Bireh Youth Resource Development Center, left, and Prime Minister Salam Fayyad of the Palestinian Authority are seated with the President

President Barack Obama visits the Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum in Jerusalem, March 22, 2013. Standing with the President, from left, are: Rabbi Yisrael Meir Lau; Israeli President Shimon Peres; Israeli Prime Minster Benjamin Netanyahu; and Avner Shalev, Chairman of the Yad Vashem Directorate

President Barack Obama and President Mahmoud Abbas of the Palestinian Authority enter the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, the West Bank, March 22

President Barack Obama watches as a vendor writes a name using colored sand in a bottle during a walking tour of the ancient city of Petra in Jordan, March 23

King Abdullah II of Jordan waves to President Barack Obama as he boards Air Force One at Queen Alia International Airport in Amman, Jordan, March 23

All photos by Pete Souza – more here

All posts/photos/videos from the Middle East trip here

196 Responses to “Pete Souza photos: President Obama’s trip to the Middle East”

1. March 24, 2013 at 4:16 pm

What beautiful photos you have Chips. Thank you so much. Now for a closer look…

2. 3 vitaminlover
    March 24, 2013 at 4:19 pm

My President can jump from ledges! I bet he could leap tall buildings in a single bound!

3. 19 sonjiaduncan
    March 24, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Love the photos. Congrats on first CarolMaeWY.

4. 21 carolyn
    March 24, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Love the picture of the president jumping from the ledge. Is that SS man thinking…..”Oh, do I have to do that too?”
    I looked at all 59 of Pete Souza’s pictures at Bob’s link on the previous post. Wow! How many coffee table books will it take to contain all the wonderful Souza pictures for two terms? I am so thrilled to be able to see these on this blog. Thanks Chipsticks!!!

5. 25 GGail
    March 24, 2013 at 4:34 pm

This is what I love about our TOD family blog. When something is found, it is shared for all to enjoy!

Thank you!

6. March 24, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Super Prez! Off topic, but I’m almost ready for our OFA birthday party for the ACA. Someone should remind me how to post my tweet here.

• March 24, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Neat tweet, Judith!!!

If you click on the time stamp of the tweet (typically in the upper right hand corner if you are using the Twitter client to view them) and select copy address and then paste that URL here, all should be well. Do note that if you see ‘https:” at the beginning of the URL, then delete the s to “http:” before posting your comment. Remember that WordPress is too lame to translate an abbreviated URL and render the tweet readable so you need to be sure you are posting the full URL for the tweet. Hope that helps

Here’s your tweet in case you don’t have time …

Happy ACA Celebration!!!

• 37 aquagranny911
      March 24, 2013 at 5:51 pm

My heart to yours, your son & familia, Judith! May he live long & prosper…\\//! My youngest also has a heart defect. ACA not only saved her life but saved my family from living under a bridge to pay for it! We ♥ Obamacare!

7. March 24, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Livni: Obama reminded us of imperative for peace deal

“It took President Barack Obama’s visit to remind Israel that it simply has to advance toward peace with the Palestinians, Justice Minister Tzipi Livni said Sunday, adding that Secretary of State John Kerry was extremely “energized” to broker progress toward a two-state solution.

Negotiations with the Palestinians are far from simple but they are the most important thing for the country, and a charismatic speech by the president had reminded Israel of this, Livni (Hatnua) said, speaking after the first meeting of Israel’s key decision-making security cabinet.

Livni, the former foreign minister who also heads Israel’s negotiation team with the Palestinian Authority, told Channel 2 that ”negotiating with the Palestinians is the only way to protect Zionism,” a point she said Obama emphasized in his address to Israeli students on Thursday.

Obama’s trip to the region, and the subsequent talks this weekend between Kerry and Israeli and Palestinian leaders, might help restart talks between the sides, Livni said, adding that sometimes you need someone from outside to tell you the obvious. Kerry, she noted, is “very determined, very energetic and very committed to the two state solution.””

h/t to Kasai

• 39 GGail
      March 24, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Because of my work schedule, I’m just now getting around to watching the President’s speech and it was worth the wait! It is mighty powerful and I am continuously amazed at how well he can weave a story with facts and admonition and make it tolerable.

And how is he able to speak for over 40 minutes without the need to reach for a bottle of water???!!!!??? :-)

8. March 24, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Reblogged this on The Educability of Perch and commented:
    Pete Souza’s excellent, exacting eye delivers these great pics of President Obama in the Middle East.

9. 41 Nena20409
    March 24, 2013 at 4:53 pm

That Ist picture is Bad :cool: It is Bond like. Shaft like. Olympic Hurdlers have Nothing on this POTUS. Jack Lord Like of the Hawaii Five 0…..yeah.

Too Cool for words :cool:

10. 59 cookemom
    March 24, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Lawd, just when I thought the pics of him in the rain were wet dreams, is there a description for this ninja pose? Don’t have time for you to get the naughty mat, I’ll just volunteer to lay on the floor right now…..oh my…

11. March 24, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Worth reminding everyone, for sure. And, it would be good for folk to thank her for forcing this issue to the prominence it deserves.

As President Obama said to those young Israelis and Palestinians, it is US who must push. One of the reasons the continuation and expansion of Organizing for Action will be important not just for elections but for ratcheting pressure on legislators, persistently.

Yes We Can

bbl …

• 68 cookemom
      March 24, 2013 at 5:28 pm

From my inbox:

“Friday night, the Senate pulled an all-nighter and passed its first budget in four years. We voted on more than 50 different amendments — including paycheck fairness for women and assistance for the New England fishing industry. It was an action-packed night.

One other thing happened too. By a unanimous 99-0 vote, the Senate passed a measure from Democratic Senator Sherrod Brown and Republican Senator David Vitter to eliminate the billions of dollars in subsidies that giant “too big to fail” banks receive through lower borrowing costs because of the implicit guarantee they will be bailed out by the government in a time of crisis.

The measure was non-binding, but it was an important step forward — and it’s exactly what I wrote to you about just a couple weeks ago.

I’m glad that Republicans and Democrats can agree: “too big to fail” needs to end and these big-bank subsidies make no sense.

There’s still a lot more work to do to make sure that there is a level playing field between big banks and their smaller competitors and consumers, but we’re making progress.

Elizabeth

• 69 Dudette
      March 24, 2013 at 5:44 pm

12. 70 cookemom
    March 24, 2013 at 5:14 pm

If Christie tried that jump, I wonder what it would register on the Richer scale? Nevamind, he’d have had to get up there first, couldn’t have happened without 4 camels, a hoist, and a hovering helicopter, not to mention some very brave rocks and mountains.

13. March 24, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Congrats, Carol on #1.

For those who are tiring of the cold weather and looking forward to Major League Baseball (which is starting in the next week or so) comes this news.

And the truly LAZY media are trying to convince the public that the gun safety issue is losing America’s attention. They (the MSM) truly are a despicable bunch.

14. 81 Dudette
    March 24, 2013 at 5:40 pm

15. March 24, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Obama plays a Long Game in the Middle East
    “Before the visit, several American commentators urged him to learn to speak Israeli – now his fluency is almost frightening.”

• 83 Dudette
      March 24, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Interesting. A couple of years ago I’d read stuff from Mr. Mardell and swear he actually loathed PBO. Today he’s a fan. I’m looking at him with the side-eye (kinda the way I look at David Frum when he occasionally snaps out of the RW fog), but I do like this article.

• 84 Nena20409
        March 24, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Love and Hate…..especially those who have envy…..that conflicted emotions can be a struggle. I share your skepticism on this Mr. Mardell.

• 85 nathkatun7
        March 24, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Thanks Dudette for sharing this article. I am not a fan of Mark Mardell. But in this article he tried to be honest and objective. One of the most complicated international issues in my lifetime is the Israel-Palestinian issue. Since the 1967 war which led to the Israel’s conquest and occupation of East Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza, no American President has been able to broker peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians. It is so unfair to put the blame on President Obama for not solving this issue in his first term, especially given the lack of support and cooperation from the Republicans, Palestinian Hamas, and Bibi’s right wing Likud Party governing Israel.

• 86 Dudette
          March 24, 2013 at 7:10 pm

You hit the nail on the head in your assessment, nath… but the props for sharing the article go to Arapaho :-)

• 87 nathkatun7
            March 24, 2013 at 9:24 pm

My apology! So, let me offer my thanks to Arapaho, for sharing Mark Mardell ‘s article! By the way, I do believe that people can change. May be Mardell, like Sullivan, is slowly beginning to appreciate President Obama’s genius of playing a long game on complicated issues, like the intractable Israel-Palestinian problem.

16. March 24, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Here’s an apt caption for Chip’s first photo of PBO as “action man.”

17. 98 Nena20409
    March 24, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I have a Gone With the Wind puzzle with all the characters in that film. It took me 2 weekends to have it done.

This Shaft-lke, Bond-like, Jack Lord-like move and all the cool moves of this president could be marketed to raise funds for his Library in Chicago or Honolulu. I will buy one.

18. March 24, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I found this today and it moved me to tears. I thought I would share with you; even if you are not of the same faith I think it will speak to you. I believe it is the way President Obama was raised and it is evident in his words and actions.

19. 112 99ts
    March 24, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Hi E1 – unbelievable pics this day from LP and Chips – what a delight.

20. March 24, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Late to this, but Judith Fardig: Did you make a 4-layer ACA cake?

Above and beyond the call of duty. 5-layers for ACA 4th birthday?

Pretty soon you really will have to invite TODers over to munch on all the cake!

21. 119 prettyfoot58
    March 24, 2013 at 7:00 pm

March 24, 2013 at 7:05 pm

John Harwood has had a few good days, early on, but has turned out to be a lazy journalist and it doesn’t appear as though that will change, any time soon. Many TODers and others are taking him out today because of his stupid war tweet, and it might be enjoyable to go check his TL – if you haven’t been there – to see the continuing pushback.

• 125 a4alice
      March 24, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Did you hear back from him?

March 24, 2013 at 7:17 pm

No – I noticed he answered one or two folks. Nobody with a brain is buying what he said, so far. As long as they get paid for it all, they don’t care what we think. Not Harwood, not Todd, not the rest of the buzzards.

• 130 nathkatun7
      March 24, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Bravo, JOB! This was an excellent push back tweet! What’s the use of having a so called free press if the press people won’t report truth to the American people? Surely, the Press’ role is not that of stenographers. If they want John Harwood thinks the Press should act as stenographers, then it’s incumbent on him to admonish all the Press people who routinely act as ideological pundits while hiding behind their position as members of the press who are supposedly trying to protect freedom of the Press. Surely, many journalists, like NYT’s Judith Miller, did their best to subliminally cheer for the war on Iraq.

March 24, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Well said, all of it! Harwood’s getting lots of great pushback on Twitter. He sent out a few follow-ups, showing he doesn’t understand and wasn’t worth the time, but at least his dull, lazy comments weren’t allowed to just sit there, unopposed.

23. 132 prettyfoot58
    March 24, 2013 at 7:15 pm

24. March 24, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Update from Casa de LL.

I’m about to make my third margarita on an absolutely gorgeous day in L.A.
    Stewie the wonderpup destroyed two of his balls today.
    Missus is finally putting our elliptical trainer to use.
    Tomorrow we’re going to Camarillo for shopping/walking.

More later!

25. 144 carolyn
    March 24, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Does anyone have a link to the video of that colorful reception ceremony in Jordan with camels and bagpipers? I’ve tried to search YouTube, but I may not have the knack. Would love any help as I really want to see that. The comments were tantalizing. Thanks in advance….

26. 147 MightyPamela
    March 24, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Hey y’all!

27. March 24, 2013 at 7:45 pm

One of the 25 Songs to be saved in the Library of Congress

28. 154 Dudette
    March 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm

29. 155 Dudette
    March 24, 2013 at 7:52 pm

30. 156 Dudette
    March 24, 2013 at 7:53 pm

31. 157 yardarm756
    March 24, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I been lurking a bit mates but I got one comment then back in me locker I go. I didn’t see one camel during PBO’s Middle East visit. :-D

32. March 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm

The Library of Congress Added the “Sounds of Silence” also. It was written and released soon after the Assination of JFK, something I didn’t know.

March 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Bloomberg’s background check ad

34. March 24, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Another Parkour extraordinaire.

35. 192 Dudette
    March 24, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Artie Shaw ~ Begin the Beguine

36. March 24, 2013 at 8:29 pm

List of 25 sounds saved by Library of Congress
    Here’s a listing of inductees in chronological order:
    1.“After You’ve Gone,” Marion Harris (1918)
    2.“Bacon, Beans and Limousines,” Will Rogers (Oct. 18, 1931)
    3.“Begin the Beguine,” Artie Shaw (1938)
    4. “You Are My Sunshine,” Jimmie Davis (1940)
    5. D-Day Radio Broadcast, George Hicks (June 5-6, 1944)
    6.“Just Because,” Frank Yankovic & His Yanks (1947)
    7. “South Pacific,” Original Cast Album (1949)
    8. “Descargas: Cuban Jam Session in Miniature,” Cachao Y Su Ritmo Caliente (1957)
    9. Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto No. 1, Van Cliburn (April 11, 1958)
    10. President’s Message Relayed from Atlas Satellite, Dwight D. Eisenhower (Dec. 19, 1958)
    11. “A Program of Song,” Leontyne Price (1959)
    12. “The Shape of Jazz to Come,” Ornette Coleman (1959)
    13. “Crossing Chilly Jordan,” The Blackwood Brothers (1960)
    14. “The Twist,” Chubby Checker (1960)
    15. “Old Time Music at Clarence Ashley’s,” Clarence Ashley, Doc Watson, et al. (1960-1962)
    16. “Hoodoo Man Blues,” Junior Wells (1965)
    17. “Sounds of Silence,” Simon and Garfunkel (1966)
    18. “Cheap Thrills,” Big Brother and the Holding Company (1968)
    19. “The Dark Side of the Moon,” Pink Floyd (1973)
    20. “Music Time in Africa,” Leo Sarkisian, host (July 29, 1973)
    21. “Wild Tchoupitoulas,” The Wild Tchoupitoulas (1976)
    22. “Ramones,” The Ramones (1976)
    23. “Saturday Night Fever,” The Bee Gees, et al (1977)
    24. “Einstein on the Beach,” Philip Glass and Robert Wilson (1979)
    25. “The Audience with Betty Carter,” Betty Carter (1980)

37. 195 Dudette
    March 24, 2013 at 8:33 pm

… and one of the best songs from the cast album of “South Pacific” (one of my favorite musicals) — sorry, it’s only a portion of the song.

38. 196 globalcitizenlinda
    March 25, 2013 at 1:30 am

If I did not already support PBO for his policies and personal character, I would support him for effortlessly making that “Jump in Petra”