Mar

A few words on hope

hope

How’s that hopey-changey thing goin’ for ya?

—Sarah Palin, half-term governor of Alaska, speaking about Barack Obama

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops… at all.

—Emily Dickinson

My life would be impossible without hope.

For as long as I remember, I’ve stuttered. Most of my life has been spent in compensation for this malady, trying to pass it off as no big deal, as no impediment to achieving my goals in life. But the fact is that, despite supportive friends and family, the world does view you differently when you’re different. But, even greater, you view yourself as Other, as not quite the same as those around you, magnifying your flaws to the point where they become huge boulders standing in your path.

With an affliction such as mine, one can go one of two ways: towards desperation, or towards hope. I count myself lucky; again, because of supportive friends and family, I always kept hope foremost in my mind, that something would break my way.

To make a long story short, I eventually found a doctor whose therapy worked. Thanks to keeping faith in things getting better, I’m now a librarian, talking my head off, reading and singing to children in a way that I wouldn’t have been able to do before my therapy.

I don’t tell this personal story to elicit commendation. I tell it to illustrate the centrality of hope in any decent human life.

Hope gives you a chance at a decent life. Hopelessness only leads to death.

When people deride us for placing hope in “That One”, what they’re really exposing is their own hopelessness.

Consider Sarah Palin’s quip; it’s easy to, as it was repeated in different versions across the right wing media wurlitzer. Their bromides exposed nothing about Barack Obama or the veracity of his world view; it merely exposed, in bright neon, the paucity of their own withered hearts. “Without vision (hope), the people perish.” The Right, and some elements of the Left, inhabit that country, where hope is a foreign concept, relegated long ago to the realm of fairy stories. Hope doesn’t obtain for them, because hope requires something anathema to them: belief, and work in that belief.

Oh, they have “belief”; they have enough “beliefs” to write mountains of books. But their beliefs bring nothing but despair; the Right’s world is crumbling before it, and it can’t understand why, after so many years of seeming dominance. And the extreme Left’s world was never born, and it too can’t understand why their beliefs were rejected.

On the Right and the extreme Left, their beliefs were rejected because they offered no real hope of things being better; their prescriptions merely served to enhance their own influence, without explaining how the Nirvanas they promised would come to fruition. They have belief without hope.

Hope isn’t blind faith, which those on the Right and Left offer. Hope is work, often hard, often unrecognized. I have more than one friend who is disappointed that Eden hasn’t broken out since November 2008. I ask, “Well, what have you done to make that vision reality?” They never have an answer. Obama offers hope, not a free ride. Anything worth achieving requires an effort which too many in our society eschew, clamoring instead for the easy promise, the get-rich-quick scheme. The work of achieving a decent life for all is beyond too many of our fellow citizens.

But without that hope that with work and perseverance things will get better, we may as well roll out the red carpet for the Koch Brothers. It’s that hope that maintains civilization. It’s that hope that makes us different from all the other creatures of the Earth. Without hope, the world dies.

My answer to Sarah Palin’s mocking question? “It’s working out quite fine, because I don’t live in despair.”

158 Responses to “A few words on hope”

March 25, 2013 at 2:05 pm

As our illustrious President always reminds us: “It’s still about HOPE. It’s still about change.”

Thanks, LL for sharing your story in this beautiful post.

March 25, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Great commentary LL.

3. 9 LDS
    March 25, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Hebrews 10:23 ” Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.”
    Good morning, TODville. All Is Well!

4. March 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Sarah Plain represents the truth of ‘ignorance is bliss’.

• 11 No Child Left Behind
      March 25, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I knew hope existed when PBO won the 2008 elections. The thought of Sarah Palin in DC let alone going back and forth the WH almost gave me a mental breakdown.

I felt the palpability of hope when in 2012 PBO won. What would I have done if the 1% Advocate had won???

These were scary times, worst than Sandy. Thank God for His kindness and compassion that saved us all.

5. March 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Great post, LL. Thank you so much for reminding us about the importance of Hope. I was off ready about Smiley & West and they are bitter. The song is for JO. :wink: Let Missus LL know we wish her the best.

March 25, 2013 at 2:11 pm

• March 25, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Wow, I’m way out of the loop. Have no idea what that refers to. Sounds a bit Buñuelesque.

• 16 isonprize
        March 25, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Honest Toddler is a twitter handle of a mom who writes from the ‘perceived’ perspective of her daughter. That wasn’t one of her best. Some will have you crackin’ up with laughter…

It’s funny- they want you to do so many things by yourself but once you have fries it’s all “Let me help you with those.”— Honest Toddler (@HonestToddler) March 15, 2013

7. March 25, 2013 at 2:15 pm

“It’s that hope that maintains civilization. It’s that hope that makes us different from all the other creatures of the Earth.”

Yet another fine essay, LL!!! Thank you and hope the best for your wife and you!!

From the bottom of the other thread is a letter to President Obama and VP Biden – as is always the case with what I post here and on Twitter, if anyone wants to use it, in any manner, no attribution is required. Just go for it!!

Dear Mr President (and VP Biden),

I’m convinced (and I’m hardly alone) that until a major – yes capitalist – enterprise has big $$$ to gain, the weapons industry and it’s sycophants (NRA-controlled Legislators and Gov Executives) will be much harder to thwart.

The beauty of eliciting strong support from the Insurance enterprise is that they know how to make money on RISK, by mitigating that risk, i.e., not only will background checks, mental health exams, and all kinds of other provisions be required (e.g., training, licensing, etc.), but much of the pressure to make those requirements will no longer be without the one and only incentive that motivates some folk – making $$$.

Yes, it’s calculated and it may seem a harsh assessment, but I’m a pragmatist driven by facts, and as impassioned I am about many issues, the reality of the #GunViolence issue happens to be we need to counter a very lucrative business with one that is at least as lucrative and that can actually force control parameters onto the making, selling and using of guns and ammo (just as they have done on numerous other major enterprises, e.g., autos, ships, airplanes).

Thus, the Insurance enterprise is the logical partner, but it will take you and VP Biden and your many powerful colleagues and friends to shift the focus in a much more grounded and measurable form of ‘personal responsibility’– meaning that each maker, seller and user of guns and ammunition are held liable, and have properly insured that liability, every time they sell or use a gun and ammunition.

Bob

Yes We Can

March 25, 2013 at 2:15 pm

9. 21 yardarm756
    March 25, 2013 at 2:16 pm

A very powerful commentary. For those that can see let them read it.

March 25, 2013 at 2:17 pm

These cops have too much time on their hands. Also….the fake Harlem Shake is officially dead and these students are sooooo last month. :lol:

11. 26 cookemom
    March 25, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Bear with me just a little while longer TODdies as I ask you to vote in the final week for my #2 daughter to win her dream job! I appreciate all of your efforts. Thanks! http://www.mydestination.com/users/kelauni/bbb#tab

12. 27 LDS
    March 25, 2013 at 2:22 pm

LL: thank you for that inspiring, encouraging post.

“It’s working out quite fine, because I don’t live in despair”
    So true…..
    I am living and learning that depredation is better than despair. Remembering that our faith did not create our desperate days. Faith’s work is to sustain us through those days and to solve them. Yet, the only alternative to desperate faith is despair.
    Faith holds on and prevails.
    Thank you once again for a wonderful post.

• 28 LDS
      March 25, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Should be “desperation” not depredation (up above)

Typing too fast or thinking even faster……

13. 29 sherijr
    March 25, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Beautiful LL ~ completely inspiring! I will share this: I’ve survived on ‘hope’ more times than I can count.

March 25, 2013 at 2:25 pm

15. 32 Bill
    March 25, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Chips, please re-post your tweet from the last thread with PBO and Tiger again. That was priceless.

March 25, 2013 at 2:32 pm

17. 50 japa21
    March 25, 2013 at 2:32 pm

LL, great essay. Hope is not blind faith, but it is a form of faith. And as the Bible states, “So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” True hope, like true faith, brings out action. People sometimes confuse hoping spmething will happen with wishing for something to happen. But hope is not tied to the outcome, it is tied to the actual actions taken to achieve a goal.

March 25, 2013 at 2:54 pm

This man Greenwald is sick. Apart from the fact that Maddow is too damn full of herself (and MSNBC) and just plain wrong on this issue….

• 52 Linda
      March 25, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I avoid Maddow because she if full of herself.

• 53 japa21
      March 25, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Actually, it is because he knows he is going to be asked inane, irrelevant questions about things the American people really don’t care about.

• 56 57andfemale
      March 25, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Oh, please. I would like documentation that Rachel Maddow ever invited PBO to be interviewed. He will take on O’Reilly, Hannity, and every local RWNJ newspaper and radio outlet, but he’s scared of Maddow?

Yeah, right.

• March 25, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Interesting quote from the article:

But even if MSNBC doesn’t surpass its main rival in the next year or the next five, Phil Griffin has managed an unprecedented feat. He has created a thriving and lucrative liberal TV business, the long-sought answer to Fox News and conservative talk radio. Above all a businessman, though, Griffin understands that people’s tastes change, so even now, at the height of MSNBC’s power, he’s talking about “evolving” the network. He wants it to become more of a lifestyle brand than a political hub. Which means that the biggest threat to MSNBC’s position as a liberal oasis may not be a newly invigorated CNN or Fox News; it may be the man who shaped the network into what it is today.

MSNBC’s “liberalism” is merely a business model. It has no real depth. If it can make more money doing puff pieces, it will.

• March 25, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Wow, eye-opening indeed.

What US cable TV needs is another “lifestyle” channel; as if the Food Network, Travel Channel, HGTV, etc. isn’t enough.

Lord help us when MSNBC becomes the lifestyle channel of insufferable hipsters who think inside-clique snarks is appealing to most viewers.

The silver lining is that TV’s days are pretty much numbered, so this won’t be an enduring problem.

• March 25, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Look what they did to the history channel and the one with Honey Boo Boo. Wasn’t it a learning channel TLC?

• 73 jackiegrumbacher
          March 25, 2013 at 5:04 pm

You got it, Arapaho, “TV’s days are pretty much numbered..” It’s been at least 10 years since I turned to tv for anything but weather news, the Oscars and Democratic inaugurations and State of the Unions. Otherwise, it’s just a means of watching pre-recorded movies. And I grew up with tv. For many millennials, tv is an old people’s medium.

• March 25, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I wish someone had an actual news show and not just regurgitation of the same old hacks.

• 75 jackiegrumbacher
        March 25, 2013 at 5:00 pm

LL, did I miss the the time when MSNBC was liberal? If he actually featured truly liberal all-day programming with substantive analysis of issues, it wouldn’t be such a feat for him to outdo Fox or any other channel. People hungry for solid reporting would tune in. The fundamental problem is that a growing segment of the population (and certainly the younger generation) no longer take tv seriously as a source of substantive information. This Griffin guy seems like another shallow pawn in the great corporate game of keeping Americans dumb and distracted.

March 25, 2013 at 3:25 pm

That Greenwald guy is just looking for some attention.

• March 25, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Hubris to the 10th degree. These people need to get over themselves. Please.

19. March 25, 2013 at 3:03 pm

This is really a great 30-second Video, featuring our President. Can’t quite tell, but it looks like an Israeli Travel video?

20. March 25, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Also. saw quite a few complaints about the cold weather this week:

“Climate scientists have linked the massive snowstorms and bitter spring weather now being experienced across Britain and large parts of Europe and North America to the dramatic loss of Arctic sea ice.”

• 81 jackiegrumbacher
      March 25, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Wow, Arapaho, this analysis is really depressing. All of us are going to need some psychological adapting to these kinds of extreme changes. The hope of spring gets most of us through the winter and now we’re left to wonder if the idea of spring will be a thing of the past. Extreme cold in the winter–Extreme heat in the center, with little in between. What a bleak future. Yuch!!!

21. March 25, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Bill, are you not on Twitter?

22. 84 yardarm756
    March 25, 2013 at 3:20 pm

23. March 25, 2013 at 3:22 pm

LL, you’re a wordsmith.

“It’s working out quite fine, because I don’t live in despair.”

Really, just beautful.

Can’t thank you enough for contributing these gorgeous pieces here, you’re wonderful!

• March 25, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Thank you August Blog Tyrant!

And Sabreen, you were asking about Deaniac. Not sure what’s going on in his life, but he’s still around, as he just crossposted this piece on TPV. But yes, his absence had me worried. It’s so easy for someone to vanish when you just know them online.

March 25, 2013 at 3:27 pm

25. 92 daisydem
    March 25, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I love you. What a lovely piece on Hope. It brings tears to my eyes, a smile to my face. From your lovely words, to your passion for being a librarian, to the love you show your wife, in sickness and in health, to the libations and food you speak so eloquently of, you are a person to love (a variation of a line from one of my fave movies). Thank you for all you do here at TOD.

26. 93 carolyn
    March 25, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Thank you LL for that terrific essay. Also, thank you for quoting Emily Dickinson…..one of my favorites,,,”Hope is a thing with feathers…..” Who else could have written that poem!
    I feel sorry for people who cannot grasp what hope really is. It’s not “pie in the sky” it is work and dealing with life here and now, but looking forward and working toward the better day. Sarah Palin is to be pitied, definitely.

27. 94 4morefor44
    March 25, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Hope Conquers Kochs

28. 96 nathkatun7
    March 25, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Thanks, LL for this powerful post. Hope is indeed the opposite of despair! It’s hope that keeps alive and looking forward for tomorrow. Hope requires action for sustenance in defying the odds, whereas despair always leads to inaction and, ultimately, death.

29. 98 mtmarilyn
    March 25, 2013 at 3:53 pm

My dear LL, your piece hit me right where I needed it today. Last night I was awake thinking about all the things that are going on in this nation that scare the hell out of me. What is going on in all the states controlled by Repubs, the NRA, etc, etc. I do so believe in this wonderful President, but there is so much going on under the table. After getting up and on this site and all the other things i have done, I do so have hope, we just need to remind each other every now and then.

Thank you LL and all the wonderful people at this community. Each one of you have a special place in this wonderful country and we all work together for tomorrow.

30. March 25, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Thank you LL for your testimony.

31. 100 Jovie
    March 25, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Ironic that Anderson Cooper is doing a hit piece tonight, on High speed rail and the 12 billion the government gas spent on it.
    It’s ironic, because his Family built the god damn railroads.
    So, why doesn’t he help instead of criticize???
    Just strange! :(

32. March 25, 2013 at 4:11 pm

This for Dudette when she stops by. She mentioned Purim so thought of her when I saw this photo in the Guardian.

• 103 isonprize
      March 25, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Can you please explain the significance of what’s happening in this picture? thx

• March 25, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Luke up Purim in Wiki… From the book of Esther. Dudette brought it up awhile back. Also if you look through the great photos in the guardian news on their website. That’s where I found it.

33. 105 Jovie
    March 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm

By JENNIFER EPSTEIN | 3/25/13 2:07 PM EDT
    President Barack Obama designated five new national monuments on Monday, including on honoring Harriet Tubman and a park along Puget Sound, but has quickly drawn criticism from one Republican who thinks the president has overstepped his bounds.

“These sites honor the pioneering heroes, spectacular landscapes and rich history that have shaped our extraordinary country,” Obama said in a statement. “By designating these national monuments today, we will ensure they will continue to inspire and be enjoyed by generations of Americans to come.”

Using his authority under the Antiquities Act, Obama signed proclamations creating Charles Young Buffalo Soldiers National Monument in Ohio; First State National Monument in Delaware; Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Monument in Maryland; Río Grande del Norte National Monument in New Mexico; San Juan Islands National Monument in Washington.

But, in a statement released Friday and recirculated on Monday by aides to House Republican leaders, House Natural Resources Committee Chairman Doc Hastings (R-Wash.) criticized Obama for employing the Antiquities Act, saying the law “was passed to allow a president to act when there was an emergency need to prevent destruction of a precious place — yet President Obama is acting on simple whim as no imminent threat of destruction or harm is posed at any of these five locations.”

Jeesh! :(

March 25, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Paul Begala on the Republican 1955 mindset

//…
    The Republican National Committee has, commendably, performed an autopsy on the carcass of its 2012 campaign. To its credit, the GOP seems to recognize that it doesn’t just need to moderate, it needs to modernize. You know a party is in trouble when its “celebrities” are has-beens like Hank Williams Jr., Charlie Daniels, and Ted Nugent (who, to be fair, had a big hit—in 1977). As the authors of the GOP report put it: “At our core, Republicans have comfortably remained the Party of Reagan without figuring out what comes next. Ronald Reagan is a Republican hero and role model who was first elected 33 years ago—meaning no one under the age of 51 today was old enough to vote for Reagan when he first ran for President. Our Party knows how to appeal to older voters, but we have lost our way with younger ones. We sound increasingly out of touch.”
    The far right howled when the autopsy was released. No shock there. Did you really think people who deny evolution are going to adapt? The report shines a light on what so many Republican politicians refuse to see: a bridge to the past is a bridge to nowhere. Back in 2008, Sarah Palin—an expert on bridges to nowhere—paraphrased Ronald Reagan: “We’re going to find ourselves spending our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children about a time in America, back in the day, when men and women were free.” Of course, what she was referencing was Reagan’s 1961 speech opposing the creation of Medicare. Well, a baby born the day Reagan gave that speech would be in her 50s today. And Medicare has been on the books for 47 years. Is that 50-something a serf because her father has a Medicare-provided pacemaker? Is her mother enslaved by the free annual mammograms provided by Obamacare?
    To be a conservative today is to fear tomorrow. But most Americans don’t want to go back to 1955.
    …//

• 107 japa21
      March 25, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Of course, the authors of the report were wrong. The GOP is the paty of Reagan in name only. They have turned their backs on Reagan on most issues. He would be drummed out of the party today.

• 108 jackiegrumbacher
        March 25, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Reagan started life as a Democrat and later became a union leader as head of the Screen Actor’s Guild. It was only later in life, after his divorce and when he was selected and groomed by GE that he became a Republican. So while Reagan committed many cruel acts as president, he didn’t have the bred-in-bones hatred that afflicts so many of the current GOP.

• March 25, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I have heard it mentioned over and over that the Republican wants to be the Big tent party again. When have they ever been the big tent party?

• March 25, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Carol, any chance of the Republican Party being ‘the big tent’ ended when the admirable values that Ike ran on in 1956 were trampled by Nixon and all those who came after him.

#FORWARD

• March 25, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Thought it was a long time ago if ever.

• 112 jackiegrumbacher
          March 25, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Yes, Bob, and the tent came crashing in on itself when they started requiring rigid adherence to right wing ideology from their reps or face primary challenges. In my “younger days” there were some decent Republicans who actually tried to serve people, like Charles Percy, Edward Brooks or my fellow New Yorker, Nelson Rockefeller. Even as recently as the 90’s there were people like Bob Dole and a few others, who tried to keep the functions of government operating successfully and made an effort to work with others. The Republican Party is now infected with a debilitating poison and needs a massive intervention to recover. But it has to recognize its infection first in order to treat it and I don’t see that happening any time soon.

• 113 Jovie
        March 25, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Reagan was able to get Reagan Democrats in the Apalchia area, and they have remained Republican. :(

• March 25, 2013 at 4:46 pm

They need to realize the party changed. Reagan fooled a lot of people.

• 115 jackiegrumbacher
          March 25, 2013 at 5:43 pm

And ironically it has not done them one bit of good, Jovie. The area is mired in poverty and despair and so terrified of change that it won’t reach out to the very party that could save it. Republicans could care less how much the poor of Apalachia suffer. They probably laugh at them.

• 116 nathkatun7
      March 25, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Thanks VC for sharing Begala’s article. Of all the Clintonites, I really like Paul Begala the most. He always strikes me as straight shooter who got over the fact that President Obama defeated SoS Hillary Clinton in 2008. One minor correction in his essay: Rosa Parks was not sitting in the “front seat” on the bus. Rather, she was sitting in the “colored section.” It’s just that when all the white sections were occupied, then Black people had to give up their seats to whites who were standing. This is how unjust the so called segregation was. I was 10 years old when Emmet Till was murdered and Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat. Even at such a young age I understood the injustices of both events. I am sure I am not alone among people, who are over 65, who are not nostalgic about going back to the 1950’s idillic society!

• March 25, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Rosa Parks was expected to give up her seat in the “colored section” of the bus to a white man?

Reminds me of how GOP still treat Native Americans by voting against VAWA because it contained provisions to protect Native American women on federal land.

These bigots really have no place in politics, can’t believe they’re still hanging in there.

I guess the good news is that the Internet allows for voters to become more aware of GOP prejudices, unlike the poor Tibetans:

• 118 nathkatun7
          March 25, 2013 at 7:54 pm

“Wow, had no idea that whites tried to take away the “rights” they “granted” to non-whites.”

This is exactly what is wrong with tthe myth about the so called “Separate but Equal” pronounced by the U.S. Supreme Court in the “Plessy v. Ferguson” decision. There never was such a thing! Racial segregation was never about “equality; it was all about maintaining “White Supremacy.” This meant, for example, that if seats on a Bus that were designated as “whites only seats” were full, then whites with no seats expected “coloreds” to give up their seats to whites in the middle and back sections of the Bus that may have initially been designated as “colored” seats. This meant that a black person on the Bus, regardless of age or gender, had to surrender his or her seat to any standing white person, regardless of age or gender. People who make no effort to learn history forget that the initial Black protest, launched after the arrest and jailing of Mrs.Rosa Parks, called for a more humane and just system of segregation on the buses. What Rosa Parks and others initially asked for is that Black people sitting in seats designated on the bus as “colored” seats should not have to give up their seats just because the “whites only” seats were full.

35. March 25, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Thanks again for reminding us of Hope.

36. 122 Jessica
    March 25, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I just laugh that conservatives are all pissed about the Obamas girl going to Bahamas. It just makes me laugh. They mad, they stay mad. LOL. I’m glad that Sasha got to go this time because last time it was just Malia.

That’s the biggest thing I like about MIchelle, she does not give a hot damn what anybody says/thinks when it comes to her baby cubs. Her motto is “if we would do it Chicago, we’re doing in D.C.” That means sequester or not her babies are going on Spring Break and if you have a problem with it that’s your damn problem.

• 123 Bill
      March 25, 2013 at 4:33 pm

The hate in this country is overwhelming. I really do not know if it has always been this bad or if we are more aware of it because of the internet and cable teevee, both of which thrive on it.

• 124 carolyn
        March 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Bill, because we are so attuned to cable news and the internet, I think we do feel that hate is overwhelming. But, I think those two forces amplify and exaggerate the number of actual people who feel hatred. Those people are the noisy, the loud ones. And, statistically, although it is still too much, it tops out on whatever scale at about 35-37%. I wish that number were down around 12%, and I think as the millennials become more powerful, that number will diminish. Think of what Senator McCaskill said about gay rights…..her children got her to that point. This will work in other areas as well. I think of what Christ said: “A little child shall lead them.”
        Like LL says…..HOPE, and working toward a brighter day are what we can do.
        The election of President Obama brought the cockroaches out into the light…..it was always there, people like us just didn’t hear about it. The president doesn’t lose hope…….we certainly can’t.

• 125 Bill
          March 25, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Well said.

• 126 jackiegrumbacher
          March 25, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Carolyn, that was beautifully stated. I have so much faith in the millennials and all the young people that follow. They won’t be crippled with prejudice and hate and they will be change agents for the world. In the meantime, each of us changes day by day, as evidenced by Claire McCaskill,

• March 25, 2013 at 5:03 pm

The Obamas are wealthy people. They didn’t inherit their money, they both — the President in particular — have written best-selling books. They have earned royalties in the millions. The idea that they’re somehow deadbeats living on the the taxpayer is so preposterous it can only be based on hatred of the Black man who is rich, cultured, intelligent and POWERFUL.

March 25, 2013 at 5:14 pm

These same crazy ass people were suppose to be upset last year when Malia went to Mexico with her school. There was no sequester then. Shouldn’t people be more upset that Congress is gone on another vacation, two weeks. Oh I forgot it’s the Obamas, they can’t do a darn thing without the haters hating on them. Do these racists folks remember Jeanna and Barbara Bush? Did they stay in the White House all the time?

• 129 Jessica
        March 25, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Exactly! Why are they pissed about them going to Bahamas for a few days when they both went to Summer camp for a month which cost more (secret service wise) than this trip. And it really doesn’t matter, where they are because they will always have secret service while their dad is President.

• 130 carolyn
          March 25, 2013 at 6:06 pm

These people should be upset that 149 air traffic towers in the country are goiing to be shut down due to the Republican sequester. The local news right now had a report on the airport about two miles from us that will be without air traffic control, and the people who are losing their jobs. This is one of the things these people should be upset about, AND contact their stupid Republican congresspeople. I plan to. We are in the flight pattern for this general aviation airport.

37. March 25, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Are his daughters home?

38. 138 Linda
    March 25, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) added his name Monday to the growing list of Democrats who support gay marriage, less than 24 hours after Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) made public her reversal on the issue.

• 139 Bill
      March 25, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Mark Warner is a very serious, smart Senator. He may lack enough charisma for national politics. He considered running for POTUS in 2008 but I think he realized he could not compete against Senator BO.

March 25, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Some of the bills put forward around the country are so bizarre you really do have to ask if these people are sane.

//…

Chain Gang Revival

South Carolina State Rep. Bill Chumley (R) this week sponsored a bill that would enlist low-level inmates in modern-day chain gangs. The idea was first thought-up by a local sheriff, who said convict labor would shorten prison terms and save money for the state. “You work somebody six days a week, 12 hours a day, they don’t have time to sit around and think about how to be stupid anymore,” said Wright.A True Toilet Paper Bill

Arizona state Rep. John Kavanagh (R) tried to slip an amendment into a bill this week that criminalize the use of public bath rooms, changing rooms and locker rooms that don’t match-up with the sex on the individual’s birth certificate. Violators would be subject to up to six months in jail, and the proposal aimed squarely at the transgendered earned Kavanagh—who last month said he feared a Phoenix anti-discrimination statue would “serve as cover for pedophiles”—the moniker Bathroom Birther.

Pistol-Packing Parishioners

The Arkansas State Senate this week approved a bill that would allow worshipers to carry concealed handguns into houses of worship. Similar provisions have also advanced in South Carolina, Wyoming and Louisiana in recent months, leading The Seattle Times this week to profile one of the churches in its state (where there are no laws baring guns from churches), which offers firearm training classes.

…//

‘church…….which offers firearm training classes.’ I sure wouldn’t believe anything this church and its members told me about their faith in God.

40. March 25, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Love these words, LL. Thanks for sharing. :)

And this seems like a perfect thread to re-post this part of the 1999 lecture by Barack Obama that I found a few weeks ago, “The Principle of Hope (starts at 4:35) : http://apps.carleton.edu/events/convocations/audio_video/?item_id=443057&av_file_id=443049

March 25, 2013 at 6:47 pm

It fits perfectly Jamila, thank you (and I was able to restrain myself to just that portion). IMO it’s such a skill to be able to quickly locate pertinent information.

41. March 25, 2013 at 5:21 pm

About guns…it’s a link to hilarious funny or die…

42. March 25, 2013 at 5:27 pm

A true measure of your worth includes all the benefits others have gained from your success. – Cullen Hightower

43. March 25, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Robert Zimmerman, George’s brother has been tweeting since Saturday claiming that because 2 black teenagers killed an infant recently, that this proves that black teens are “risky”. I can’t bring myself to post his tweet and I actually don’t like to bring this nastiness here but man, does this need some serious pushback. Here’s my attempt:

44. March 25, 2013 at 5:53 pm

HOPE #FORWARD…. Blast from the Past..

45. March 25, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Awesome photos from around the world—the day in pictures—look and see what’s going on—–

46. 151 Linda
    March 25, 2013 at 6:20 pm

The 11 remaining Senate Democrats who have not endorsed gay marriage publicly are: Mark Pryor (Ark.), Bob Casey (Pa.), Bill Nelson (Fl.), Jon Tester (Mont.), Tom Carper (Del.), Tim Johnson (S.D.), Joe Manchin (W.Va.), Kay Hagan (N.C.), Mary Landrieu (La.), Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.), and Joe Donnelly (Ind.). They can be broken down into three groups.

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2013/03/25/senator-mark-warner-endorses-gay-marriage-whos-next/#ixzz2OaoPslPT

Mostly the usual suspects….

March 25, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I am becoming very disappointed in Senator Kay Hagen and I have email her and told her that too. I told her that I voted for her in 2008, I am not so sure if I will do that again. And I will keep emailing her, and I will get my friends and family to do so too.

47. 155 MightyPamela
    March 25, 2013 at 6:28 pm

So, if I were to mention I have just opened the door, and the screen door, moved kitty bed into the fresh air wafting from the South, would it be of interest? To think 2 days ago, it was snowing! Global warming, much? Yikes. http://myde.st/13hxNJi

48. March 26, 2013 at 10:37 am

I like to say when I was young I hoped for. Now that I’m older I pray for. But the reality is If prayer doesn’t yield the results I want I still hope.