Mar

President Obama to name Julia Pierson as new Secret Service director

Washington Post: President Obama will appoint Julia Pierson, a veteran U.S. Secret Service agent and senior official, as the first female director of the agency, White House officials said Tuesday.

Pierson, 53, began her career in the Secret Service as an agent in Miami three decades ago. She serves as the service’s chief of staff.

She does not need Senate confirmation for the post, which White House officials said would be announced Tuesday afternoon.

More here

President Obama’s statement:

“I am pleased to announce that I will appoint Julia A. Pierson to be the next Director of the United States Secret Service. Over her 30 years of experience with the Secret Service, Julia has consistently exemplified the spirit and dedication the men and women of the service demonstrate every day.

….. Julia is eminently qualified to lead the agency that not only safeguards Americans at major events and secures our financial system, but also protects our leaders and our first families, including my own. Julia has had an exemplary career, and I know these experiences will guide her as she takes on this new challenge to lead the impressive men and women of this important agency.”

Back later with more

157 Responses to “President Obama to name Julia Pierson as new Secret Service director”

1. 1 bojoflo
    March 26, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Good for him ♥

March 26, 2013 at 3:08 pm

!!!

3. March 26, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Does anyone know the status of the Continuing Resolution? Did the President sign it?

• March 26, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I hope he doesn’t. Isn’t that the one that gives more rights to the gun manufacturers and owners?

• March 26, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I’m with you Jackie. Veto it and send it back for a clean bill. I’m not hopeful…tomorrow is deadline before government shutdown.

• March 26, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Reminds me, what is a pocket veto. Back to google. ;)

• 13 nathkatun7
            March 26, 2013 at 6:24 pm

A pocket veto is when the President does not sign, or veto outright, a bill passed by Congress, and then there is a new Congress. If President Obama wanted to pocket veto a bill, he will have to do it at the end of 2014, normally to bills passed in December, 2013. Jan. 2015 begins a new Congress.

• 15 Vicki
          March 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm

PBO signed it and today an old friend told me her UE benefits will be cut by 10% starting next week. She is 63 and pretty frightened. Cutting her safety net is a disaster. 125,000 people needing housing vouchers are similarly out-of-luck.

We are leaving a lot of folks behind in this new america.

4. March 26, 2013 at 3:13 pm

What a wonderful President we have!

5. March 26, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Great pick! She will clean up some of the excesses of inappropriate behavior on the part of a very few.

6. 22 sherijr
    March 26, 2013 at 3:18 pm

He just never stops being Great.

7. 24 cookemom
    March 26, 2013 at 3:25 pm

My daily request TODsters. Not much time left, less than a week to help out my #2 by voting for her to win her dream job. Please click on the link and vote in the ‘Vote For This Entry’. Thanks TODdies!!

March 26, 2013 at 3:26 pm
    • 28 4morefor44
      March 26, 2013 at 3:49 pm

hahaha! was going to leave a similar comment! and if her hubby “better than” ezra klein is ready to back up annie again for asking such “important” questions.

• 29 4morefor44
        March 26, 2013 at 4:07 pm

oh just realized, annie and ezra will probably say president obama picked julia pierson because annie “held his feet to the fire” with her stupid “woman problem” ramblings.

9. 30 Linda
    March 26, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Look at this snarky tweet from Ryan Grimm of Huff Puff.

Sen. Tester comes out for marriage equality. Does he represent Brokeback Mountain or would that be Crapo and Enzi?

——-

What an ass.

10. 36 57andfemale
    March 26, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I was opining on how our values as a people appear to have changed, with behavior excused because ‘God’ said it was okay. Then I found this excellent post by PM Carpenter, who says things far better than I can:

March 26, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Awesome. Barack Obama being president is one of the best things to have ever happened to this country.

• 38 jackiegrumbacher
      March 26, 2013 at 4:21 pm

This, UT, is the kind of antidote we need to the poison being excreted by the RWNJ’s in our nation’s state houses against women’s rights. I wish women across the country would look at the capable women PBO has appointed and the ones elected to the Senate and House and realize how greatly they’re being insulted by the GOP. How dare these little state house twits make decisions about women’s bodies.

12. 39 cookemom
    March 26, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I almost wish that the newly named SS Director would need confirmation, so the country could see the nutbaggers on parade. Yet, I also believe in ‘be careful what you ask for’

13. 41 Jovie
    March 26, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Jay Carney says, a GOP filibuster on guns will be unfortunate.
    Yes, but Its how they roll
    Meanwhile, with Tim Johnson retiring, all the Beltway can talk about is how the GOP has a great shot to take Senate.
    How can they have control of both Senate and house and only have a 33% approval rating as a Party?
    This is incredible! :(

14. 43 HZ
    March 26, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Our President did a great thing for our nation again today with this great appointment of Julia Pierson as our first female Director of SS. Yes, Mr. President!!! We are still moving FORWARD. HZ

15. 46 Jovie
    March 26, 2013 at 4:08 pm

North Dakota Governor signs bill that essentially makes abortion illegal.
    Now, the first thing a liberal should do is take this to court.
    Madison V. Marbury suggests that State law does not trump Federal Law!
    So, if anybody has a little bit of money, go ahead, Sue the State of North Dakota? :)

March 26, 2013 at 4:15 pm
  17. 55 Jovie
    March 26, 2013 at 4:15 pm

A new PPP poll( the most accurate Poll) has Colbert sister up 2 on Mark Sanford 47-45.
    That’s very good.

• 56 57andfemale
      March 26, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Lots of undecideds, but it’s a very good sign. If a Democrat had pulled what he pulled, they would never have a career in politics again. But he says he’s sorry, and that’s good enough.

March 26, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Maybe Colbert has a chance. We shall see.

March 26, 2013 at 4:16 pm
    March 26, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Chris Hayes calls his new MSNBC 8PM show “All in with Chris Hayes” Why the phallic-sounding name? Is he that desperate to attract viewers?

• 61 Jovie
      March 26, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I like Wagner at that spot! Believe it or not?

March 26, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Well, she’s only going to be there until Friday. Savor the week.

• 63 57andfemale
        March 26, 2013 at 5:01 pm

She’s really a good, honest progressive when she isn’t answering to her corporate masters. Which makes me even angrier that she would be that malleable.

I didn’t know she was filling in. I thought Chris Hayes was on already. To be honest, ever since the Most Important Issue EVER became drones, I stopped watching msnbc altogether.

March 26, 2013 at 4:22 pm

“Up” and “All in”

Little Chris needs to grow up.

• March 26, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Chris is great – a breath of fresh. Invigorating and funny too.

• March 26, 2013 at 5:15 pm

How does he need to “grow up”? What’s he done in your estimation?

March 26, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I’m not going to engage you in any discussion until I’m satisfied as to what your agenda is here. I may have missed you earlier, but this is the first time I’m seeing you post on TOD ever.

• March 26, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Honestly, i’m not being funny. Have posted a couple of times – you folks do seem to know each other really well. I posted quickly about Manchester United and “You’ll never walk Alone” – remembering that one. My only agenda is supporting the President and First Lady! 350 per cent.
            I must have missed the Chris thing – have always found what I’ve seen – engaging. If the problem is the drone discussion, it has to be on the table. Can’t pretend it is not there. And the Prez has responded and is for transparency. Genuinely, would like to understand any gripe with Chris. thanks.

• 73 Left-Indie
              March 26, 2013 at 6:18 pm

He comes across smart alecky. Kinda kid would get beating in locker rooms in school. He spends a lot of time huffiing & puffing about what is “missing” that this adminstration hasn’t yet done instead of giving credit to all the things that are being done. He’s the kind of liberal that expected Obama to change the country overnite on Jan, 20, 09, and by himself. If not, he will show his “disappointment” for an hour.

• March 26, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Thanks for responding. Just never picked that up! I don’t watch every segment. SO GLAD there are folks out here who didn’t think O could fix the giant mess all at once – especially not with the total blockade he’s had.

• 75 nathkatun7
              March 26, 2013 at 6:48 pm

In my humble opinion, Hayes is a libertarian. He is quick to sing the praise of Rand Paul, but he never misses a chance to highlight the negatives when it comes to President Obama.

March 26, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Thanks for responding and you are certainly entitled to your opinion of Hayes. My gripes with Chris are many and I could give you reams of examples. However in the interest of space and time I will stick to a few main issues.

Hayes spends an incredible amount of time attacking the administration or PBO on a variety of peripheral issues (including drones), but not actually providing any credible or practical solutions. What should he do instead of drones? Boots on the ground (AKA more troops and actual lives lost)? That’s the only alternative – or else we risk being vulnerable to the continued threats from Al Qaeda operatives.

As left indie stated, there is an air of intellectual superiority. Hayes must have had some experience with being the smartest student in the class and he remains fixated at that phase in his life. But at the age of 34, what exactly has Hayes done to bring about real changes that translate to social justice or progressive change? His experience consists largely of writing books, columns and giving political commentary on cable TV. Trying to accomplish real change and bringing together a large country of people with different and competing ideologies, interests and values is HARD, unsatisfying and thankless work. It requires a fine intellect, healthy amounts of wisdom, courage, and nerves of steel. To me and most reasonable folks, PBO embodies all of that. But an unprejudiced person who watches Hayes over a period of time, would come off with the impression that PBO is the biggest wimp out there – cowardly, secretive, caving to special interests out there. As his BFF Rachel Maddow stated (paraphrased here): PBO won’t even grant MSNBC an interview because he doesn’t want to be asked difficult questions.

Hayes also seem to have a keen interest in the Libertarian ideology – and I’ve seen his show regularly featured on certain Libertarian blogs where none of the other MSNBC shows are featured. . He finds Rand Paul “fascinating” and it appears to be in an approving way and a signal to the Libertarian contingent – but Hayes is too coward to come out and say that he actually likes Rand Paul as a politician – for fear of losing his steadfast liberal followers.

The constant, insidious but unmistakable undermining of our President – his abilities and his commitment to progressive issues is a feature of Hayes’ shows and his hosting style. For these reasons, among others, I won’t be watching his show.

March 26, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Everyone is entitle to their own opinion, but Chris Hayes sucks. If MSNBC had any darn guts they would have given Joy Reid a show. I rather have Ed Schultz back then Hayes. So here’s to his show being a big fat flop starting April 1st. All is not in with Chris Hayes.

March 26, 2013 at 4:54 pm

For a laugh …

all in
      definitions
      all in(p): very tired; “was all in at the end of the day”; “so beat I could flop down and go to sleep anywhere”;…
      wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

20. 80 Jovie
    March 26, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Also, US V. Mexico at 9:30 on Espn -quarter finals FISA!
    Do they got a shot?

March 26, 2013 at 4:28 pm

John Hardhead continues to underwhelm.

• 83 Cman
      March 26, 2013 at 4:35 pm

That was pitch perfect JOBoomr

March 26, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Thanks so much. Once I get over my initial rage on some of their comments, I try to play with them like a cat plays with a mouse. Not nice of me, but helps me cope and reminds the Harwood-Todd pseudo-journalists that we’re watching ‘em.

• March 26, 2013 at 4:56 pm

love what you are doing to this moran who thinks he can play the 50/50 blame gane so his coperate masters will not fire him.

March 26, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Thanks. Not sure whether his corporate masters actually know what he’s doing or thinking. Yesterday, he was defending lack of effective investigative journalism at start of Iraq war. Today on Twitter, he’s talking sequester. This morning, he was muttering nonsense outside of the Supreme Court. He’s everywhere – Ha! It’s like the Walking Dead of the Pseudo News Corps!

• 88 Cman
          March 26, 2013 at 5:01 pm

And play with them we shall. It irks me when we holler about the pass they give republicans and yet they act like we’re speaking a different language. Look at HP their lead is of 10 Senate Dems still have yet to support gay marriage. 10 means 42 are in favor of it ( i did not even know that many dems in the senate were on the record in favor of it) but currently of the 48 republican senators only 1 is in favor. Where is the headline with all the names and face of the 47 against this tide in history? Nope, no such thing because republicans are allowed a pass.

Imagine if a democrat was the one that lead us into war on a lie. My word he would have been tried and given a public execution by now.

22. March 26, 2013 at 4:29 pm

This will probably be interesting!!

23. 90 lamh36
    March 26, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Have I missed the LA Galaxy guys?

Well while we are waiting, a lil something for the ladies…lol.

um okay…wow! I luv me some David Beckham, but DAMN these pants are too “toi-oh-ght” Seriously, guys, how the hell can you even wear underwear with pants so tired. I agree with the headline though, these damn pants are tailored to within an inch of there life!

24. 92 Jovie
    March 26, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Obama signs funding bill, avoiding shutdown
    Justin Sink
    03/26/13 04:18 PM ET
    The six-month stop-gap measure will keep government agencies funded through Sept. 30, maintaining funding at $984 billion.…

There is your answer! :)

• 93 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      March 26, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I wish he had vetoed it and forced congress to either override or send clean bill; however, I trust PBO and his long game.

• 95 57andfemale
      March 26, 2013 at 5:03 pm

It keeps the sequester cuts in place, unfortunately.

• 96 Vicki
        March 26, 2013 at 5:27 pm

As I said above this leaves a lot of folks behind. Unemployment Insurance cut by 10%, housing vouchers withdrawn, more and more people are losing out.

I love and applaud all the good POTUS is doing but terrifying losses are ongoing and I just don’t see us reversing course.

25. 98 Jovie
    March 26, 2013 at 4:47 pm

White House defends voter registration through ‘ObamaCare’
    Justin Sink
    03/26/13 03:07 PM ET
    Carney said no politics are involved in asking whether people want to register to vote.…-/

Very smart democrats, very smart! Asking whether you want to vote after somebody signs up for Obamacare? Awesome!
    Very very good! :). :). :)

26. 99 Linda
    March 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm

The CR has been signed…

Grrr…

27. 105 cookemom
    March 26, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Freshmen Rank Paul and Teddie Cruz bask in the glory of being the GNOPs next savior, while sophomoric Marco Rubio attempts to hold himself up as an elder statesman. All well and good, except waiting in the wings is the real Bush, Jeb who will join in the fray as soon as he can erase his brother from our memory. But alas, it will all be for naught, when the mighty Chris Christie steps into the ring and literally eat his competition.

28. 107 japa21
    March 26, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Well, considering the new SS chief I may have to tone down some of my comments regarding you know who.

March 26, 2013 at 5:01 pm

They’d have to beat it out of us. Our lips are sealed. (We have our own individual guilt!)

29. March 26, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I see AP has an unhelpful story splashed across the country—“Obamacare to raise claims cost 32%”——-the devil is in the details but most people will just see the headline….

March 26, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Once they call it “Obamacare” you know what their agenda is. When it’s something positive to report they refer to it as “The Affordable Care Act.”

• March 26, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Anyone with good sense who reads this report will question how anyone could do a study with such limited information. What a crock, but I’m afraid Dotster is correct, most people won’t get past the headline.

• 112 Vicki
        March 26, 2013 at 6:51 pm

FayPax, I read your new article on PP and its topic is one of the truly important things that rarely or ever get discussed.
        I take a back seat to noone when it comes to appreciating, ok swooning, over our President. There has not been, at least in my lifetime as inspirational and brilliant leader. But I can see there are some thunder clouds on the horizon.

I found out today a friend is losing 10% of her UE benefits starting nest week. In NYC 10% of 425.00 per week is $425.00-$42.50 per week . Dire. Who is even talking about this except for the people affected?

I’ve been trying to make increasing economic insecurity a subject here, but not much response.

Also, I get where Cookemom is coming from on all the targeting of Democratic senators on gun legislation and now on marriage rights. Something is seriously wrong when we don’t fight back for our views.

• March 26, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Hi Vicki,

I’m so glad I looked back, since there’s no way of knowing someone has responded to a comment. I’m glad you thought my article worthwhile. I try, not necessarily to focus on the news, but the things I think people are overlooking, fail to understand or don’t know. As for clouds on the horizon, my history lesson tells me these Republicans will leave no stone unturned to keep this President from accomplishing anything noteworthy before he leaves office. Don’t be surprised if everything…gun control, immigration…are stretched to 2014 on the hope Republicans can gain control of the Senate too. That’s what all the medicare stalling was about, they were gambling that Romney would win and that would be the end of ObamaCare. Oops, you got me started. :)

Regarding sequestration, you are absolutely correct. It isn’t affecting the people who bring us the news or the Congressmen. But you’ll find it’s difficult to engage people in a meaningful dialogue about what the “real” problems are.

I’m not certain how I feel about targeting Democrats. On one hand I get the need for unity and loyalty, but on the other hand that isn’t what we get from them. Of course, I could have the wrong understanding, but I always thought state legislators were there to take care of the state, but the ones we send to Washington were to promote legislation for the good of the nation. I’m a little sick of these people who are only interested in saving their own behinds. I’m not certain Democrats shouldn’t do what the Tea Party does…let Democrats know that if they don’t stand for our values, we’ll run them out of office. We just showed everyone that it isn’t the money…it’s the votes.

I have to think on this one for a while. :)

• 114 57andfemale
      March 26, 2013 at 5:54 pm

This is really infuriating. The study only took into account one factor, and did not factor in cost control aspects of ACA, tax credits, subsidies to plans that have a larger group of very sick people, etc.

You don’t find this out until you’re 5, 6 paragraphs into the article.

God.

30. 117 japa21
    March 26, 2013 at 5:26 pm
  31. 119 donna dem 4 obama
    March 26, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I see from twitter and reading comments here that Chris Hayes has named is new (used) show.

Well, y’all know it’s no secret that I cannot stand cable (infotainment) shows but if I were to have a “Dream Show” this is how it would look:

To me the perfect progressive cable “news” show would be one where everyday they would pick a topic or issue and really drill into the details of that topic (Rachel’s show comes close but she lets that purist liberalism get in the way too often). They should engage their audience and truly inform their viewers. Have a what did you ask of your Senator/Congressman section each day. Demand that their viewers constantly engage the people in Congress that represent them. As well as a “Truth or Consequences” segment. Every week put up a viewer poll of the most outrageous policy or lie that Repubs are saying or doing about any given policy or process. Demand that the public call them out for their lies. Let them know that we are watching what they are doing & saying and that there will be consequences for their lies. Form a “tattletale brigade” that tweets, Facebooks and pounds their leadership in Congress and the Senate as well as other MSM types as to this persons outrageous behavior. Try and force Repubs into being ashamed and force public apologies. This is to stop them from getting away with doing any and everything just because they can.

Repubs in Blue states should be held most accountable for their votes and this show is where they would feel our wrath. Kirk (IL) Portman (OH), Ayotte (NH) Collins (ME) and any others that I can’t think of right now vote whichever way their party tells them to vote because they feel absolutely NO pressure from the Left other than a complaint or two here or there. That would not pass the smell test on my cable show.

A week ago or so Tweety was asking his viewers to call their Senators and demand a vote on Assault Weapons. That’s about the most interactive and engaging that I have seen any of these so-called liberal pundits get in years. On my dream cable show, that would happen for every major vote.

If you can stomach it, turn on Conservative talk radio when a big vote is coming up and listen to how they go after Dem Senators in purplish/red states. This is why ConservaDems vote the way they do. They feel the heat from the people they represent because pundits on the Right use the media to engage and rally their supporters. Our side uses the media to “hold our President’s feet to the fire” and just talk about what the right is doing with very little to no activism with their viewers.

And since we are talking about names….the name of my cable show would be……FIRED UP and READY TO GO!

I thought about pitching the idea to Phil Griffin at MSNBC…..A girl can dream can’t she ;)

• 120 cookemom
      March 26, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Hey Donna I have been on this bandwagon for the last two days. Why oh why are we stress testing our 6 Dems in the Senate on gun control and not one peep of dissension toward those blue state pubbies? It’s crazy imo to risk them for the sake of holding them to some purist position, however just it may be. That’d be fine, if even 1/2 of that energy was holding the Pubs feet to the fire. Six Dems have been successfully named as the reason there isn’t going to be a passable vote on gun control, when no one has ever mentioned the names of the folks you did in your post.

The other problem is no matter who hosts a cable show or what they call it, or who are guests, it’s not going to be news. It’ll be punditry at it’s highest form. That’s OK, I happen to enjoy hearing the pundits, some more than others. What will happen though, even with your show’s premise, is that folks will assume it’s really news, not opinion. Also, all cable shows combined on all cable stations don’t get the viewership of Honey Boo Boo, Spongebob, or SomebodyKilledSomebodySendInTheDogFromTheStorageAntiqueRealRoadshow.

Dream on GF!

32. March 26, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I went to renew my drivers’ license today in Illinois—always an interesting adventure—–and I was asked if I was registered to vote. I don’t remember this being part of the process previously, but I was happy to hear it. P.S. Got 100% on the written test which I didn’t know I had to take. I know my Rules of the Road! Will be accepting congratulations for the next 2 hours. :)

• March 26, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Congrats Dodsters, now roadster. :cool:

• March 26, 2013 at 6:08 pm

dotster3 did you also get a state i.d.? It looks like the license, has no expiration, is a different color and has nothing but your address. I use it instead of my D L for id.

• March 26, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Did not get a state i.d. Know nothing about that—-just my drivers’ license with my new (older) mug staring back at me, a slight smile, fetching.

• 125 cookemom
          March 26, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I didn’t know about that either. I lost my DL, paid the $ to replace it, was asked about voting, got the new card which had the old pic on it, went to the car and immediately found the lost DL that had slipped between the seat.

btw, the pic from the old license was taken without a smile. the person kept said, ‘I’m waiting for you to smile!’. I said, ‘Nope, won’t smile, cause if I ever have to use this for it’s intended use, I won’t be smiling then either.’

• 126 symmetry11
      March 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I think it is a part of the Motor Voter law passed in the 1990’s. They are also suppose to ask when someone applies for Government benefits ie TANF and Stamps. There suppose to offer assistance as well.

• 127 nathkatun7
      March 26, 2013 at 7:14 pm

In CA you can renew your DL by mail without having to go to the DMV. I suppose people going to the DMV may be asked about registering to vote.

33. March 26, 2013 at 6:03 pm
  34. March 26, 2013 at 6:21 pm

SWEET!!

35. March 26, 2013 at 6:24 pm

It takes time for change, civil rights, more women in Govt in high ranking positions, LGBT rights, Rights for the Common Good and for voting rights for all, and gun control.

36. 147 Nena20409
    March 26, 2013 at 6:36 pm

The Cult did a song that I have loved since my early adult years:

She sell Sanctuary:

37. 148 vitaminlover
    March 26, 2013 at 6:37 pm

This is nice. It is quite nice to see a woman handling the Secret Service.

March 26, 2013 at 6:39 pm
    • 150 Nena20409
      March 26, 2013 at 7:03 pm

But the Brits Don’t Pay. It is part of their National Health Plan. That charge would have to be an estimation, right?

Perhaps, Klein should have said….estimated costs per service.

39. 151 lamh36
    March 26, 2013 at 6:46 pm

alrigh TOD warriors I know ya’ll already on it, but can’t wait for video.

40. March 26, 2013 at 6:59 pm
  41. 156 prettyfoot58
    March 26, 2013 at 7:01 pm

RevAL ..we must have Freedom for everyone or we will have freedom for no one….