Mar

Rise and Shine

Today:

12:15: Jay Carney briefs the press

1:45: President Obama delivers remarks honoring the Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings and MLS Cup Champion LA Galaxy (White House live)

3:0: VP Biden, Sec Salazar, and Sen. Tom Carper deliver remarks at the newly designated First State National Monument at the Sheriff’s Office in New Castle

@BarackObama – ‘RT if you agree’

Thanks a million to Symmetry for her post this morning on the Supreme Court hearing – see below

ThinkProgress

ThinkProgress: Everything You Need To Know About The Marriage Equality Cases At The Supreme Court

See here

Bloomberg: Sales of new U.S. houses in February capped the best back-to-back months in more than four years, spurred by near record-low borrowing costs and improving job prospects.

…. The increase in demand is contributing to growth as it ripples through the economy, boosting home-improvement retailers, appliance and furniture makers and builders….

“Housing is going to have a strong year this year and it’s going to have a strong year next year,” said Patrick Newport, an economist at IHS Global Insight …. “Housing is one of the key factors that’s going to get the economy back on track.”

More here

Join VoteVets.org and tell your Senators that you support universal background checks – here

A bit late with this:

You couldn’t make it up…..

Mediaite: Vocally “anti-Sharia law” GOP lawmakers in Tennessee had their fears quelled this week when they were assured that a mop sink in one state Capitol building was not secretly installed for use as a Muslim foot-washing station.

More here

OFA

WH: Yesterday, President Obama signed proclamations establishing five new national monuments that celebrate our nation’s rich history and natural heritage. The monuments, located in Delaware, Maryland, New Mexico, Ohio and Washington, help tell the story of significant people and extraordinary events in American history, and also help protect natural resources and supporting economic growth in local communities through tourism and outdoor recreation.

“These sites honor the pioneering heroes, spectacular landscapes and rich history that have shaped our extraordinary country,” President Obama said. “By designating these national monuments today, we will ensure they will continue to inspire and be enjoyed by generations of Americans to come.”

More here

VP Biden quite pleased about President Obama signing a bill designating the First State Monument, in Delaware, a National Monument, during a bill signing ceremony in the Oval Office at the White House on March 25

MoooOOOOoooorning (again) everyone, thanks again to Symmetry for the post below.

152 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 AJ
    March 26, 2013 at 11:21 am

It’s a great day for equal rights…

2. 11 cookemom
    March 26, 2013 at 11:24 am

It’s up and at ‘em all you O’s!!! How’s everyone in TODville on this great getting up day?

Is everyone in their places,
    with bright shiny faces?

Cause this is the way, we start off our day!

• 12 MightyPamela
      March 26, 2013 at 11:33 am

Indeed, and I will add feeling somewhat as if I have recently been run over by a __________…. not quite sure what, you decide!

3. 13 Bill R.
    March 26, 2013 at 11:25 am

I would like to think it’s a great day for equal rights. But I expect the GOP weighted Supreme Court to uphold discrimination.

• 14 donna dem 4 obama
      March 26, 2013 at 11:29 am

Maybe its wishful thinking but….My gut tells me that we just might get Justice Kennedy to side with the liberals on this one.

• 15 MightyPamela
        March 26, 2013 at 11:32 am

However, DD4O, over time we have learned very much to trust your gut, we call it your brilliant intuition! {{{{DD4O}}}} BBL…

• 16 donna dem 4 obama
          March 26, 2013 at 11:33 am

Well I thank you and I hope I’m right this time Oh Mighty Pamela (BTW I hope you are feeling better)

• 17 jackiegrumbacher
        March 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I agree, Donna. It will either be Kennedy or Roberts.

• 18 AJ
      March 26, 2013 at 11:32 am

Even if that happens, it’s only now a matter of time. I’m usually a pessimist about everything under the sun, but I’m feeling hopeful today. :)

• 19 Bill R.
      March 26, 2013 at 11:35 am

The ScotusBlog has tweeted contradictory predictions. First they were sure Kennedy would go with the liberals, then they were sure that he wouldn’t. Total stupidity.

4. 20 donna dem 4 obama
    March 26, 2013 at 11:32 am

Good Morning TOD, Ms. Chips and all the guest blog tyrants. You all do a fabulous job. It’s a plethora of good news on this {{{{cold}}}} spring day.

5. March 26, 2013 at 11:32 am

I’m sorry is Sharia Law sweeping the Nashville-Memphis corridor? Dey stooopid.

• 22 jackiegrumbacher
      March 26, 2013 at 12:20 pm

When you can’t do anything positive, you do the stupid. Anyone looking at this sharia obsession in the US would think that US politicians are the dumbest in the world. And they would be right.

6. March 26, 2013 at 11:32 am

Can’t leave yesterday’s pics for today. Still dreaming. What a line up!

March 26, 2013 at 11:36 am
  8. March 26, 2013 at 11:36 am

PBO keeping his word to help out Dem candidates in 2014 with a fundraising swing through the Bay Area:

• 30 cookemom
      March 26, 2013 at 12:03 pm

As I said yesterday, why are we going after 6 Dem Senators, when there are 100 Senators in the Senate. To pressure our own, while allowing all those Pub Senators to go unchallenged on this, makes no sense to me. Yes, it’d be nice if they could vote they way they normally would probably like to, but do they risk their political career on a single issue? Do we really want them to? Is it better for a red state Dem to lose on this issue in the name of principle, or is it better that we demand blue state Pubs do the same? I don’t get it. We know that there are times that we must give cover to Dems on sensitive issues like this. sigh…..

March 26, 2013 at 11:45 am
    March 26, 2013 at 11:46 am
    • 33 japa21
      March 26, 2013 at 11:53 am
    • March 26, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Thanks. Can’t wait till tapes are released.

March 26, 2013 at 1:14 pm

So Roberts is now not only accidentally agreeing that children of same sex couples are doing okay (not a conservative talking point), but that same sex parenting is okay (not a conservative talking point) … all to possibly stop same sex marriage (a conservative talking point).

A little convoluted logic, Roberts. It’s a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive … Americans.

• 36 57andfemale
      March 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm

That last one – that is a jaw-dropping response.

11. 37 japa21
    March 26, 2013 at 11:46 am

This tweet is going out to each of the six senators who are balking on sensible gun control legislation (obviously personalized to each).

• 38 cookemom
      March 26, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Why do we insist on eating our own? As I stated upthread and yesterday:

“Why are we going after 6 Dem Senators, when there are 100 Senators in the Senate. To pressure our own, while allowing all those Pub Senators to go unchallenged on this, makes no sense to me. Yes, it’d be nice if they could vote they way they normally would probably like to, but do they risk their political career on a single issue? Do we really want them to? Is it better for a red state Dem to lose on this issue in the name of principle, or is it better that we demand blue state Pubs do the same? I don’t get it. We know that there are times that we must give cover to Dems on sensitive issues like this. sigh…..”

• 39 Bill
        March 26, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I can understanding giving red state Democrats a break on assault weapons but there is a limit. Background checks on gun purchases should be basic in any civilized society.

• 40 cookemom
          March 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Why isn’t that energy directed to Ayotte and Collins? They’re in blue states. They are given cover, while we go after our own. That doesn’t make sense. Ideally, yes, we would expect all Dems to vote their conscious on this single issue. However, reality suggests that doing so could very well prevent them from being present to vote on any other single issue. I don’t have a problem with seeking cover on this, especially when they are but 6 out of 100. How about we get a list of how those other 94 are voting? How can we do that to 6 of our own, yet be willing to provide cover to the Pubs? smh

• 41 Bill
            March 26, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I live in NC and have no influence over Ayotte and Collins. Hagen’s office will listen to me. Few Senators will listen to people from other states. Though I know Burr, the Republican Senator in NC, he could care less what I have to say about gun control or anything else.

• 42 cookemom
              March 26, 2013 at 1:29 pm

So we don’t pressure them as we do our own? So we give them cover because they won’t listen? So they get to feel secure and comfortable in their role, not only from their base, but from Dems as well? This, while our own Dems have to fight off Pubs and Dems alike on a single issue? I don’t get the logic of this. However, I will say that in the case of NC, it is not a blue state at the moment, but it is purple enough for Bloomberg and Dems to target on this, rather than go after and repeatedly identify by name, 6 Dems out of 100 Senators.

• 43 Bill
                March 26, 2013 at 1:43 pm

As I said I have no influence to pressure Collins and Ayotte, but at least Hagan’s office will listen to me. If people in NC do not pressure Hagen I believe we are denying our responsibilities as citizens. We also have no influence how or where Mayor Bloomberg spends his money. I do believe Bloomberg is on the right side of gun control and welcome his voice.

• 44 cookemom
                  March 26, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Why not let Hagen decide what is necessary to keep the job, or is that not to be taken into consideration? Do you trust that Hagen knows enough about this vote and what it means politically to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good? Do you think there may be some internal information that the good folks with good intentions like yourself are not privy to? I am not sure why you don’t think pressure can’t be placed on Pubs in blue states. I haven’t heard one person, nor read one tweet, that calls out those blue state Pubs.

As for Bloomberg, I don’t question his intention on gun control, but I surely don’t trust his approach. When he spends his vast fortune on this, and the result is fewer Dems in the Senate because of his messaging on this issue, then sorry he ain’t a welcome voice at all. He can easily go after the real obstructionists on this, and it isn’t the mere 6 Dems out of 100 Senators who are blocking nor responsible for the gun control effort.

• 45 Bill
                    March 26, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Hagen’s aide told me their polls show 90% of people in NC support background checks. If that is not clear to Hagen she does not deserve to be in the Senate. If she is relying on some other “internal information” there is something unsavory. If you have influence with Collins, Ayotte, or Bloomberg, please proceed. I only have influence with Hagen and very little with her, but none with the others.

• 46 57andfemale
            March 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I agree that we should be shining a big light on Ayotte and Collins. We might actually flip those seats.

However, there is strong libertarianism in these states, and gun rights are a big part of that.

• 47 cookemom
              March 26, 2013 at 1:33 pm

That doesn’t excuse giving them cover, while beating up on 6 Dems. We don’t know what pressure on them will bring, because somehow they get a pass and don’t even have to address it. Yet we name and identify 6 Dems over and over again, demanding they risk their political careers on a single issue. Imagine the Bloomberg dollars going toward calling blue state Pubs out? We are buying into he divide and conquer argument, by not supporting those 6 Dems and giving them cover. There has to be at least 6 Pubs who are just as vulnerable..

• 48 Bill
      March 26, 2013 at 12:14 pm

A very pleasant aid in Senator Hagen’s office told me 90% of people in NC want background checks, but he does not know what her position is. I would say the Democratic Senator from NC is lacking a backbone.

March 26, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Maybe the aide can run for office.

• March 26, 2013 at 1:45 pm

How can he answer the calls and not know what her position is? and yes, maybe we can get him to run
          in N.C. I am wary of Senator Hagan.

March 26, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Sounds as though he’s been told to be noncommittal, probably so none of the aides have to defend the Senator’s position to irate callers – one side or the other.

• 52 Bill
              March 26, 2013 at 2:19 pm

That is the impression I had. However, he honestly seemed not aware of the WP article that mentioned she was one of the six Democrats leaning against background checks. She is probably feeling a lot of heat now.

March 26, 2013 at 11:48 am
    • 54 jackiegrumbacher
      March 26, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Wow, UT, they seemed to have sent in the B team to defend Prop 8. These are some seriously weak attorneys.

March 26, 2013 at 11:50 am
    • 57 jackiegrumbacher
      March 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Yep, UT, you can count on it. My little granddaughter will one day wonder what all the fuss was about.

14. 58 japa21
    March 26, 2013 at 11:50 am
    • 59 Bill R.
      March 26, 2013 at 11:52 am

This exchange between Scalia and Olson, excellent response from Olson: Justice Antonin Scalia asked Olson when exactly it became unconstitutional to bar gays and lesbians from marrying. Was it 1791? 1868? Mr. Olson responded with a question of his own: When did it become unconstitutional to ban interracial marriage?

15. 61 Linda
    March 26, 2013 at 11:53 am

Interesting.

Pete Williams just said that ” States Rights ” never came up at all.

March 26, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I think Pete said the court is trying not to broaden the scope beyond California, but I think tomorrow’s case does. (I’m not really familiar with the particulars, so take that with a mound of salt, but that’s what I heard.)

March 26, 2013 at 11:57 am

This seems like a good time to go grocery shopping as there is very little to eat or drink (except water) in the house, plus Easter is fast approaching. BBL

• 64 cookemom
      March 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm

No kitchen, no kiddies home, no grocery shopping, no fancy Easter meal, may buy some jelly beans, but mostly will probably scavenger at homes of others, or microwave a boxed and highly processed meal thingy.

March 26, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Forget the highly processed thingy; even *I* know that does NOT go hand in glove with 90day marathon exercising! Do the vegetable thingy instead so as not to spoil that other effort. Or come over by me – not that I plan to do anything (fancy) for Easter, but the company would be nice. That’s one of the joys IMO of having a kid who doesn’t care about food, I don’t have to worry what I’ll prepare.

I’m finally back after wandering around doing all the little pieces I’ve been neglecting in order to rush back to TOD Village. Among other things I went to price French doors and didn’t like any of the prices I saw. :roll: Maybe I’ll just leave that space empty after all. The poor workman got fed -up and left while I was out today, but he left me a note. He, like me, is tired of the stairs that have been causing tons of headache because the stain hasn’t taken evenly. His note says he’ll probably have to re-sand the entire thing to remove stain from all the steps and the balusters and start again! Considering he already tried that with the top 5 stairs that are determined to be individualistic, I certainly don’t blame him for taking a break.. I keep telling you, we should write that book. :grin:

• 66 cookemom
          March 26, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Oh my vc, what like minds we truly are. I have just this week contacted someone to come and give me an estimate to restore the oak floors and stairs. Hopefully they’re still in the great shape they were when we moved in. I admit though that after two dogs and several carpet cleanings in the last 30 years, that I attempted to house train and clean on my own, they may need to be completely overhauled, rather than just a sprucing up. He says to wait closer to warmer weather so that I can open windows and doors for the needed ventilation to actually do the work. Now I don’t know if I should do the basement or the floors first. So much to do, so little time, and so very little $$$$.

I’m so much better at outdoor work. I hope that I don’t succumb to spring fever and tip toe through the tulips instead of completing what I’ve started indoors. In a way, it’s a good thing it’s still cold and dreary out.

Thanks for the invite, but a call from my sister today settles the Easter meal decision. Well, at least there’s an Easter brunch in the plans.

I’m on day 28 of the 90 day warrior workout and may have zigged when I should have zagged the other day. Got a muscle that just refuses to cooperate any further. I may take a break for some much needed healing and recuperation.

March 26, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Cookem, that zigging instead of zagging is the perfect argument for me not to start any focused exercise programme! Knowing my body it would be bound to go looking for trouble. I think I’ll call it ‘preventive exercising’.

Vis-a-vis outdoor work I planted then watered perennials and lawn religiously in my first years here but I later gave up. My perennials didn’t seem to realize they were meant to return yearly, plus I got tired of spending good money each year on plants that were too timid to confront the weeds. Now I plant a few annuals so that the weeds won’t think they have the place to themselves, but they virtually do. :roll:

Re the renos: I think I’m going to tell my workman when he returns Thursday (he has appointments tomorrow) to ignore the stairs** for now and let’s focus on the kitchen where we are likely to see progress more quickly. I’m putting basement on the back burner since I’ve decided on new appliances if I’m remodeling up the kitchen.

** Originally they were carpeted so he’s ripped that up and built (oak) hardwood stairs which I really love. The problem arose in the staining – I wanted them light, but not quite as light as the rails and balusters. Long story short – the curved stairs didn’t respond as eagerly as the straight stairs so I had a 2-toned look (which I kind liked, but which I doubt new buyers or visitors would).

Cookemom, I think of all our reno talks and shake my head. I’ve so never been into ‘house’ making and fixing and changing that I don’t know what this is all about. I don’t discuss this stuff and I don’t pay attention to fix-it shows or decorating or whatever. That’s my youngest sibling’s idea of fun. Usually once the roof is over my head if it ain’t broke, I leave it alone. I haven’t a clue what has come over me, but I’m enjoying it so far this time around so it’s been nice to have someone with whom to share stories. Now, I really am going to go see what else I missed today while I was jaunting around and increasing my face time with the salesfolk in the build it-fix it stores that surround me. I swear there’s someone in each store who recognizes me when I enter. One of the guys at one store has started saying `Not you again. What are you doing now?’

17. 68 Bill R.
    March 26, 2013 at 11:58 am

What is remarkable to me is that the pro-Prop8 people are using the principle that the ability to procreate determines who can marry. That is a Roman Catholic argument. ( I have a paraplegic friend who was denied the permission to marry in the RC Church because he can’t procreate.) Sheesh, is this the state of the GOP and the Conservatives on the Supreme Court?

• 69 jackiegrumbacher
      March 26, 2013 at 12:32 pm

This is also a profoundly stupid argument, Bill. It would deny older couples the freedom to marry and enjoy their remaining years together. And it would lead to “fertility tests” before marriage. Talk about government intrusion in our lives.

18. 70 japa21
    March 26, 2013 at 11:59 am
      March 26, 2013 at 12:22 pm

That is true -however it was far less of a risk at the time for VP Biden than it was for PBO. In fact as soon as VP Biden mentioned his support, the focus (from the media and elsewhere) was immediately on PBO, not on Biden. And when PBO publicly announced his support for marriage equality – the MSM quickly went to work trying to divide his base by bringing on homophobic Black pastors on Cable TV to influence AA support.

• 72 japa21
        March 26, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Not questioning that at all. Just wanted people to remember that Biden came out first which then setn the stage for PBO to do his thing. As I mention, PBO rightfully gets credit. It is probable, however, that Biden saying what he said sped up the process.

March 26, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Yes, that’s true.

March 26, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I still hold out personally that VP Biden said what he said when he said it, with the full pre-knowledge of President Obama. Either way, it’s the President’s speaking out that carries the most weight, I totally agree, but our Joey helped it along big time. Because, dontcha know, it’s a BFD. :)

March 26, 2013 at 12:02 pm
  20. 77 Ladyhawke
    March 26, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Conservative Pundits Now Concern Trolling Same-Sex Marriage

By Amanda Marcotte

———————————-

Concern trolls are largely people who know that they can’t argue their viewpoint on its merits, so instead they try to undermine the persuasively argued viewpoint with their “concerns.” A common strategy is to claim that someone else—certainly not them, but someone who is impervious to the logical superiority of the winning side’s arguments!—is being turned away from the logically superior arguments by the tactics of supporters.

The Sunday morning news shows were littered with concern trolls this past weekend. Karl Rove, Peggy Noonan, and David Brooks all suggested that if the court rules that same-sex marriage is a right, it will somehow set back the cause of same-sex marriage by making the homophobes very angry. “Americans don’t take it well and don’t accept it as a resolution when their black-robed masters in Washington decide to put on them what they decide is the right thing,” said Noonan, claiming that this is what happened with Roe v. Wade.

The claim is a specific subset of concern trolling, popular with conservatives: the “too soon” troll.

————————————-

• 78 Bill
      March 26, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Wonder if Noonan said anything about “black-robed masters in Washington” chosing the POTUS in 2000.

• 79 57andfemale
        March 26, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Perfect!

• 80 57andfemale
        March 26, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Let’s extend the analogy. The outrageous flaw in the Bush v. Gore ‘decision’ was that they pretty much applied nothing more than contract law to the issue, ignoring the larger and fundamental scope of the rights of Americans to elect their President.

But contract law is not good enough for marriage equality? This has ‘God-given’ rights written all over it? Come on. That’s what marriage has always been – a contract that forms alliances, transfers property, power. Religion was secondary. And no matter what the nuts say, any church will be exempt from being forced to perform same-sex marriages, just like an Orthodox Jewish temple will not be forced to perform inter-denominational marriages. The marriage license is a civil contract.

21. 81 Bill R.
    March 26, 2013 at 12:07 pm

This Supreme Court argument today underlines how important it is to appoint new judges who are not GOP RW ideologues, determined to push the activist agenda of the GOP at any cost to the legitimacy of the Court and the well-being of the country.

March 26, 2013 at 12:13 pm

North Dakota officially hates women. Congratulations ND, you’re crazier than Mississippi.

23. March 26, 2013 at 12:20 pm
  24. 87 Bill R.
    March 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I think people in CA need to get busy and pass a new Referendum to permit gay marriage. Don’t wait around for the SCOTUS to rule, particularly since I don’t expect them to rule for equal rights. Those old white guys care nothing for gays or their children.

25. 88 MightyPamela
    March 26, 2013 at 12:27 pm

okay, Lunar data detail: we are within 24 hours of the approaching solar-lunar opposition. Wednesday March 27, 2013: 6 Degrees LIBRA 52 Minutes, occurring at 5:27am EDT. Now this is a nice touch, as Libra (we all know!) rules ‘relationships’, and in numerology, 6 is the number of Peace! Let us light candles all day (since we are on our bottoms anyway (some of us)), and Keep the Faith close. I find it interesting this SCOTUS hearing is in so ‘holy’ a week for big religion…

26. 90 Ladyhawke
    March 26, 2013 at 12:33 pm

VoteVets.org Ad: “Anyone”

27. 94 proudmemberofglobalzero
    March 26, 2013 at 12:39 pm

very confused on ruling or lack there of. SCOTUS is as bad as congress if not worse.

Sorry but, I blame President Clinton on this one….one of many.

• 96 Bill
      March 26, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Clinton had only two appointments, Ginsburg and Breyer. I do not follow all of the decisions, but they have always seemed to be on the good side.

• 97 proudmemberofglobalzero
        March 26, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Clinton signed DOMA into law.

• 98 Bill R.
          March 26, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Remember that Clinton supported DOMA because the Rs were on the verge of passing a constitutional ban. DOMA helped prevent that.

• March 26, 2013 at 1:43 pm

And Don’t Ask Don’t Tell was considered a huge progressive step. Clinton wanted to end the ban completely. Sam Nunn who was the Armed Services committee Chairman and the Joint Chiefs of Staff said no. DADT was the compromise.

• 100 57andfemale
            March 26, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I am not a knowledgable scholar on this issue. However, how would R’s have passed a ‘constitutional’ ban? A law. A ‘constitutional ban’, to my mind, would have meant an amendment to the Constitution. I don’t recall being anywhere close to that happening.

And Clinton couldn’t have vetoed the law? He was always a little too comfortable with rightward thinking and policy.

• 101 Bill R.
              March 26, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I was around and remember well. And the Rs controlled Congress and would have referred an Amendmend to the states, which probably would have received the two thirds majority then, and probably created a wedge issue which would have built a bigger GOP majority.

• 102 57andfemale
                March 26, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I honestly don’t remember it being that threatening at the time, but I defer to your obvious knowledge of the subject. I’d like to study that further – the real situation surrounding this issue and I’m frankly disappointed in myself for not being more engaged at the time.

• 103 Bill R.
      March 26, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Clinton appointed two members who replaced other liberals on the court. The balance shifted when Sandra Day O’Connor resigned, and was replaced by Alito. O’Connor was a moderate GOP appointee who upheld Roe V. Wade and other issues. When she left and was replaced by Alito, everything changed.

28. 104 Ladyhawke
    March 26, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Press Secretary Jay Carney is briefing the jackals now….

March 26, 2013 at 12:49 pm

The beginning of this video is so sweet. The SS man treats the Obamas like family and vice versa.

March 26, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Good morning/afternoon, TOD!

Life in America …

March 26, 2013 at 12:59 pm
  32. March 26, 2013 at 1:02 pm

1 Corinthians 13 should be read in full, but here is 13:13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

• March 26, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Whew! These threads are so packed with such awesome goodness, it took me all this time to catch-up. Thank you so much for the shout-out Desertflower and 57. I still have lots to do, but little by little I’ll get it done. Thanks to everyone.

33. March 26, 2013 at 1:11 pm

And the greatest of these

March 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm

:lol:

• March 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm

LOL!! Is that just for today or does this represent his entire time on the bench.

• 122 cookemom
      March 26, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Thomas is no dummy and he knows his limitations.

He subscribes to Mark Twain’s old adage, “It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt”

35. 123 Bill R.
    March 26, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Jeffrey Toobin discovers humility for the first time ever.

36. March 26, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Heads Up: Los Angeles Kings & LA Galaxy fans, it’s nearly White House time (1:45 EST)

37. March 26, 2013 at 1:39 pm

First National Monument in USA, about sixty miles from me. My #1 son climed it several years ago.

38. 127 Bill R.
    March 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm

This looks like the best analysis on today’s SCOTUS hearing, probably no definitive ruling at all, let lower court decision stand but no universal granting of right of gays to marry:

39. 128 japa21
    March 26, 2013 at 2:21 pm
  40. 129 Ladyhawke
    March 26, 2013 at 2:21 pm

FOR NOW, THE CONSENSUS SEEMS TO BE THERE IS NO CONSENSUS.

(VIDEO) Supreme Court weighs options in Prop 8 case

By Steve Benen

—————————-

Speculating on the Supreme Court’s intentions based solely on oral arguments is inherently risky. Justices will often hint at their intentions, but that only fuels more speculation, not firm expectations.

That said, at least for now, all we have to go on is what the justices themselves asked and argued, and for now, the consensus seems to be … there is no consensus. NBC’s Pete Williams was in the chamber, and for those who can’t watch clips online, he told viewers:
    We’ll be able to explore the arguments in more depth once the transcript is released a little later today.

In the meantime, keep this detail in mind: former Solicitor General Ted Olson, who argued against Prop 8 this morning, was asked what kind of ruling he expects in the case. “I have no idea,” he said.

——————————————

March 26, 2013 at 2:25 pm

From Eric @diggaduh:

On this Passover, I share a most beautiful quote:

“That [Humanism] was the key word for us. And it’s a positive word – not the negative that conservatives have tried to make it. To me, a good Jew is someone who believes in the equality of human beings and reaches out to those in need. That’s what Andy believed – and that’s why he went to Mississippi. Not because God told him to do it but because he believed in human beings helping other human beings.”

—Carolyn Goodman, mother of Andrew Goodman murdered on June 21, 1964, in Mississippi the day after the U.S. Senate passed the Civil Rights Act

• 131 57andfemale
      March 26, 2013 at 2:45 pm

This really hit me, hard. My Jewish upbringing made this point really clear: we are responsible for our actions, our outreach to our fellow man. God is not an intermediary who ‘speaks’ to us. We have values and laws and common decency that are at the heart of how we should be judged and how we should act. Even during Yom Kippur it is made clear that your sins to God can be atoned for on that day of worship. But your sins to your fellow man – you have to go make that right on your own. God is no shortcut to, or replacement for, decent behavior

Why this hit me so hard: have we come so far from these basic beliefs? Is everything okay if we determine ‘God’ says so? Have we lowered God to be no more than our personal convenience? Because Palin and Santorum and Bachmann believe that God tells them to discriminate and hate and justify shooting everything they deem threatening, that should trump acting decently to our fellow human beings (and the planet, and the atmosphere and all God’s creatures, to be inclusive).

• 132 jackiegrumbacher
        March 26, 2013 at 4:35 pm

57, it’s not all of us, Many people have come very far in terms of learning (and practicing) basic lessons of decency and humanity. But a few have chosen to project a God that is so small, he is no better than themselves. They look in the mirror and convince themselves that God is telling them to be full of hate and intolerance. Because THEY are that way, God must be. It’s the ultimate in egoism and a very apt definition of living in hell.

• 133 57andfemale
          March 26, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Jackie, it is a direction, unfortunately, that is becoming more prevalent. A Mark Sanford can say he’s sorry to God, and he is redeemed enough to cheat on his wife, leave his post as Governor, and now run for state office again. It’s a belief in a God of convenience. It’s not new – it’s been around as long as humankind has seen the face of God in the stars and looked to that God to help him understand the world. It just appears to be trumping common sense and any consistency of thought. It’s troubling. Here’s an interesting read that hits on the same points (and is told far better than I could): http://pmcarpenter.blogs.com/p_m_carpenters_commentary/2013/03/you-know-youre-actually-on-the-left-if-.html

March 26, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Happy Passover to you. The original quote I saw on Twitter and posted here was profound, as were your words. I can only speak around Santorum and Ryan and Gingrich, who say they are Catholics, but they aren’t following what I learned about basic values and decency and responsibility from my own Catholic religion over the last 66 years, totally akin to what you learned from yours. All three are sorry-ass excuses for religious persons, no matter what the religious affiliation they claim (although I guess I shouldn’t act like a judge, since I have enough trouble trying to be a good person, myself).

• 135 57andfemale
          March 26, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I am very far from a practicing Jew. But I am forever surprised at how much of my upbringing comes back to me. I grew up in a FDR-liberal Jewish household, where we talked about this stuff all the time. My parents were both gone by the time I was 21 years old, and I treasure the memories of those profound conversations that would reach back thousands of years to Jewish religious roots and outward to civil and women’s rights. I was indeed blessed.

• 137 57andfemale
          March 26, 2013 at 5:12 pm

the struggle to be a good human being is what it’s all about. We’re none of us saints (if I may be allowed to mix my metaphors), but to strive to be good and aware of our fellow man – that’s what it means to be human.

42. March 26, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I’m nobody’s genius, but I just can’t seem to wrap my head around why people have to fight so hard for “obvious” civil rights. Seems to me it’s as simple as changing the definition of marriage. In fact, from a legal standpoint, marriage is simply a binding contract. Any two adult individuals who want to enter a contract should be free to do so.

March 26, 2013 at 2:42 pm
  44. March 26, 2013 at 2:52 pm
      March 26, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Paging Mrs. Ezra Klein for her commentary on PBO’s supposed lack of female hires in top cabinet positions…..

• 146 57andfemale
        March 26, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I don’t recall any kudos from Mrs. Klein concerning cabinet picks of women, minorities recently. But because PBO chose Kerry to replace Clinton, she had all kinds of [thin] accusations to make.

this is what passes for the Left. God.

March 26, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Exactly. I’m sure we will hear crickets from her on this one. On to the next non-issue of poutrage….

• 148 57andfemale
            March 26, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Crickets on Perez. Crickets on Sally Jewell. Crickets from the MSM on the phenomenal diversity in this President’s administration. Makes my blood boil.

RSS Steve Benen