Apr

“This time it must be different”

President Barack Obama embraces siblings Sue Connors and Jane Dougherty following a forum at the Denver Police Academy. Their sister, Mary Sherlach, was killed at Sandy Hook Elementary

(Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama greets Terry and Tom Sullivan whose son Alex was killed in the Aurora theater shooting

Text of the President’s remarks here

Buckley Air Force Base in Aurora

…. with Denver Police Chief Robert White and Sandy Phillips during a round table discussion at the Denver Police Academy

President Obama leaves Aurora enroute San Francisco

Wednesday: All times Eastern:

9:15: Delivers remarks at a DCCC event (Private Residence)

10:55: Delivers remarks at a DCCC event (Private Residence)

Thursday:

10:25 am PT President Obama delivers remarks at a DNC fundraiser, Atherton, California (Private residence)

12:25 pm: Delivers remarks at a DNC fundraiser, Atherton, California (Private residence)

1:40 pm: Departs San Francisco

9:30 pm: Arrives White House

Other news:

Steve Benen: President Obama and Defense Secretary Hagel take voluntary pay cuts in solidarity with federal workers who are going to be furloughed as part of the automatic budget cuts known as the sequester

TPM: Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) says she has received multiple death threats over legislation she is working on to make sure gun owners have insurance.

Jonathan Chait: Pretend GOP Urged to Adopt Imaginary Health Plan

Kevin Drum: We Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Democrats on the DC Circuit Court

Steve Benen: Arms Treaty creates strange bedfellows

Dana Milbank: The NRA’s disarming plan to arm schools

Charles Pierce: Culture War? What Culture War?

Steve Benen: Finding support for background checks in unexpected places

ThinkProgress: Why Republicans Are To Blame For Obamacare’s Delays

Charles Pierce: Ed Kilgore over at Political Animal caught Washington Post columnist Michael Gerson in some barefaced dis-ingenuousness concerning how “school reform” is marching to glory in, among other places, Indiana

The Onion ….. no, no: ThinkProgress: Mike Huckabee: Obama May Be Planning To Grab Guns And Launch A Nazi-Like Dictatorship

Mediaite: He’s been filling in for Steve Kornacki since that former co-host of The Cycle was announced as Chris Hayes‘ MSNBC weekend show replacement, so it was no surprise when Ari Melber officially joined the team this afternoon

WH: Honoring the Memory of Ron Brown

WH: ‘In Performance at the White House: Memphis Soul’

TPM: It’s Official: Jimmy Fallon To Replace Leno On ‘Tonight Show’

And this is the new guy. No, not the President:

148 Responses to ““This time it must be different””

April 3, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Hi! May I speak now? ;)

April 3, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I kept quiet for a long while.

April 3, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I somehow feel it WILL be different this time!

4. 9 Nena20409
    April 3, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Wow, You are Too Good, Chips :)
    Thank you. Fantastic.

5. 13 sherijr
    April 3, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I just ran to the store for some milk.. got in my car & turned on the radio, and I hear POTUS’ lovely voice giving this speech.. since I don’t know the radio stations here yet, it was either a DC or Baltimore station.. but they were running the entire speech, it was so wonderful.

• 14 sherijr
      April 3, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I had watched it earlier live, so am completely thrilled that this radio station would be playing it during this hour of the night, when folks who missed it earlier could listen.

• April 3, 2013 at 10:30 pm

This is excellent news! The only thing I heard about the speech on the radio tonight was the fact that there were some protesters outside the speech location. I’ll listen to the speech tonight.

Thanks Chips!

• 16 nathkatun7
      April 4, 2013 at 12:03 am

As always, the President gave a wonderful speech. I don’t care what the MSM pundits say, but President Obama is a very gifted communicator. I am convinced that people refuse to listen to him because of who is and not because he is not able to effectively communicate his message. This means that very little will change in the way his speech is received by the media pundits; unless he can miraculously change who is and how he looks like. Thankfully, more and more people are no longer dependent on the MSM.

• 17 HZ
        April 4, 2013 at 1:58 am

Nath, you are so on point on this. Thanks so much for speaking it. I have often said that a lot of people will miss so much goodness and brilliance from POB simply because they have made up in their minds that because of who they believe he is not; and believe he is not capable of being this great communicator and brilliant young president, they will NEVER change.

Hate and bitterness and ignorance can cause one to miss out on great gems and wonderful joys in life. It is so sad, but We here know and recognize the brilliance of this great man, our President, and we will continue to work with him and for the American people with him.HZ

• 18 nathkatun7
          April 4, 2013 at 2:37 am

Thank you so much HZ! You are absolutely right about how “hate, bitterness and ignorance” have caused so many people to miss the reality that we have a very smart, competent, and compassionate President, who is working very hard for the betterment of all Americans. What infuriates me the most is the willful MSM, who know better, but who are so obsessed with sensationalism and manufactured controversies, just to make money.

6. 19 Nena20409
    April 3, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Just the Two of Us :shock: VC? Hmm?

April 3, 2013 at 10:04 pm
  8. 21 Nena20409
    April 3, 2013 at 10:07 pm

VC…..I took your advice and called up Alabama Shakes to plead my case on how….. I am ……”Hold On”

9. April 3, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Reposting from previous thread; too delicious not to repeat myself:

Schadenfreud for Nena20409 and all others so grateful that R-money truly was #NoTermMitt.

“Five months after the presidential election, a bevy of Mitt Romney’s former staffers find themselves working against each other. They’ve splintered across three Republican Senate campaigns …”

And remember, just before the horrific Newtown massacre, MSM was falling all over themselves to promote the failed Senate candidate, Scott Brown?

I think the technical term is BWAAAAAAAAWAAAH. (not sure of the spelling, though) :)

April 3, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Holy mutha….!!! Chipsticks is not playing tonight. Splendid round up Chiparoo.

p.s. thanks for highlighting my tweet. :D

In today’s derp news, Chris Matthews opens mouth and inserts foot.

11. 35 Betsy
    April 3, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Great round up Chips, thanks.

12. 38 japa21
    April 3, 2013 at 10:10 pm

This time it will be different, even if nothing passes Congress. And, by the way, I do expect at least background checks to pass Congress.
    But ket’s assume nothing gets through Congress. It will still be different because:

This time, people aren’t going to forget.
    This time several new groups have formed which are going to provide major voices to make sure we don’t forget.
    This time, if nothing or only a minor thing gets passed, all those groups are going to be very focal when next years elections come around.
    Any Dem that runs for some level of gun control and reduced violence is going to get some major dollars thrown their way and some major advertising.
    Every Republican who prevents legislation or speaks out against legislation is going to hear a lot of angry voices at every appearance.

If the Republicans and NRA were smart, they would let a little bit pass now. ause if they don’t, the Dems will regain the House with a decent majority and might even pick up seats in the Senate (the harder of the two). But with those increased numbers, the GOP and NRA willsuddenly find itself with a shitload of legislation coming through, far more than is even being considered right now.

However, as we all know, the Republicans and NRA have not really shown themselves to be long term smart. So any victory they achieve right now could be very much a Pyrrhic type.

So don’t dismay if not much gets through. This time is different. This time the heat stays on.

• 39 japa21
      April 3, 2013 at 10:15 pm
    • 40 amk for obama
      April 3, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Didn’t senate cowards make it more difficult to pass any gun control laws by making 2/3rd votes mandatory ?

• 43 globalcitizenlinda
      April 3, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I absolutely agree with your assessment! I sent a message to the nra and a couple of so-called journalists reminding them that gop & nra may regret the day they obstructed sensible gun laws. most people I know will not forget anyone who obstructs sensible gun laws

13. April 3, 2013 at 10:11 pm
  14. April 3, 2013 at 10:14 pm
  15. April 3, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Awesome, Chips!!

Dianne Feinstein spoke at the Commonwealth Club in SF today and vowed to continue the fight for the AWB. She talked about the intimidation coming from the NRA and their attempts to frighten Congress. But she said even if she fails, she’s not going to stop fighting for it. She can be very annoying at times but on this issue, she is spot on. Thank goodness.

16. 52 dotster3
    April 3, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Crazy NY birther, and BFF of Orly Taitz, fined $177,000 by NY judge for filing frivolous and idiotic lawsuit to have President Obama’s name removed from the NY presidential ballot. A bit of justice for that goofball hater…..
    Look at him——-ewwwwww.

17. 63 Nena20409
    April 3, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Bruce Springsteen: I am on Fire……Chips this one is for You.

The post Rocks.

Thank you again.

April 3, 2013 at 10:19 pm
  19. April 3, 2013 at 10:20 pm

The lyrics to Muse’s “Uprising” seem fit for tonight.

Paranoia is in bloom,
    The PR transmissions will resume,
    They’ll try to push drugs that keep us all dumbed down,
    And hope that we will never see the truth around
    (So come on)
    Another promise, another scene,
    Another packaged lie to keep us trapped in greed,
    And all the green belts wrapped around our minds,
    And endless red tape to keep the truth confined
    (So come on)

They will not force us,
    They will stop degrading us,
    They will not control us,
    We will be victorious
    (So come on)

Interchanging mind control,
    Come let the revolution take it’s toll,
    If you could flick a switch and open your third eye,
    You’d see that
    We should never be afraid to die
    (So come on)

Rise up and take the power back,
    It’s time the fat cats had a heart attack,
    You know that their time’s coming to an end,
    We have to unify and watch our flag ascend

They will not force us,
    They will stop degrading us,
    They will not control us,
    We will be victorious
    So come on

They will not force us,
    They will stop degrading us,
    They will not control us,
    We will be victorious

And here’s the song performed live:

April 3, 2013 at 10:20 pm

:D

Everyone in America: “Me too! Me too!”

21. 72 lamh36
    April 3, 2013 at 10:20 pm

‏I like Ari Melber, but this news still won’t make me watch The Cycle. The only good news would be to hear that Joy Ann Reid gets her own show.

@krystalball6h

We just made it official! @arimelber is our new cohost on @thecyclemsnbc!!! psyched to have you. It’s gonna be fun :)

• 73 theo67
      April 3, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Ari Melber is a HUGE improvement over Steve Kornacki. A completely different league, altogether! Now, we just need to remove that women who goes by her initials and the guy with one name…

• 76 Indie Liberal
      April 4, 2013 at 1:31 am

Never was into Kornacki (too much cheerleading for Scotto Brown and negativity with Sen. Liz Warren)

Plus, Ari used to work for the new Secretary of State, plus he shows hip-hop, r&b love. Hope that Joy can get a show. Used to enjoy reading her tweets before the super Pro-PBO/Anti-Kerry crowd took over and started tweeting her.

New to the Obama Diary site. Love the pics. P.S. signed in as “JA”, but go by Indie Liberal (so no one would think I am a troll lol!)

22. April 3, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Really, Really important news out of Isreal/Palestine….. More fruits of President Obama’s trip blooming.

• April 3, 2013 at 11:40 pm

WOOOOOOOT!! This is significant. I hope they gave their word to PBO and are keeping it. I so want to see a breakthrough result from these efforts.

23. 79 japa21
    April 3, 2013 at 10:25 pm
  24. April 3, 2013 at 10:25 pm
    • 82 Nena20409
      April 3, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Their craziness Never stops. It is a fleeting illusion that they will never attain….. re-branding themselves.

25. April 3, 2013 at 10:26 pm

This is for Chips.

Tonight’s menu:

Pan-sauteed mesquite-lime marinated chicken breast
    Roasted brussel sprouts

No starch, as starch is verboten at dinnertime in my diet.

26. April 3, 2013 at 10:27 pm
    • 92 Audrey
      April 3, 2013 at 11:07 pm

You are quite the Clinton disciple aren’t you? Would that have anything to do with having the vile Tina Brown showcased on the blog celebrating a man she often disrespects? I realize that Tina is now a big Hillary 2016 fan and is hosting Hillary at her women’s conference. But let’s all remember that neither Chelsea Clinton or Tina Brown have ever had a kind or generous word for either PBO or Mrs Obama. As a matter of fact, Tina Brown has gone out of her way to belittle Mrs Obama every chance she’s had. Tina Brown even creates opportunities to disrespect Mrs Obama.
      The Clintons including their daughter Chelsea, are self-serving and vindictive opportunists undeserving of the hero worship on display in some quarters.

• April 3, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Audrey, unfortunately you don’t know me……you have obviously placed your animus toward the Clinton’s and transferred it towards me. Maybe you should not read so much (or think the placement of where a video is placed on a blog post has some nefarious importance.) I did not comment to your reply earlier, but felt the need to clarify. I put the Politico and Tina Brown video next to each other as an ironic juxtaposition. The fact is was at the top of the post, meant absolutely nothing. As far as posting something written by Chelsea Clinton, maybe you should read the article. ( I am assuming you are a woman) She is stressing the importance of women getting in STEM education fields, which in return studies show would help the overall output of the U.S. economy significantly. This is something that PRESIDENT OBAMA has been pressing for over 3 years! Fair warning do not bother looking at tomorrow’s Rise & Shine (you know the HERO WORSHIPER i.e. me in your words) has more examples of the importance of STEM education. I typically would not waste my breath, or in this case type a response, but some folks maybe don’t have a clue what goes into putting together a thread. Have a wonderful evening.

• April 3, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Audrey, please do not use that tone towards regulars and trusted friends here, like LovelyPlains. I have posted tons of videos on this blog that make my skin crawl, but it doesn’t mean I support the creatures speaking in them. I usually post them to highlight their insanity. Bear that in mind before you personally attack someone who posts here.

You don’t appear here too often, but when you you do it’s usually to attack someone. Maybe this isn’t the place for you?

• 95 Betsy
        April 4, 2013 at 1:23 am

Audrey, Lovelyplains is doing a great job. You don’t need to talk to her like this. She loves President Obama just like the rest of us on this blog.

• 96 nabsentia23
        April 4, 2013 at 10:09 am

I have issues with the Clintons, too, but this comment is uncalled for. Especially since Chelsea’s comment is very good. I disagree with the Clintons on many issues, but they are still Democrats and as such, there are areas where they have a lot in common with both myself and the Obamas. More so than the GOP (which, since 2000, have gone off the deep end).

Besides, Obama will no longer be in the White House in 2017. So, if there are Hillary supporters out there who want to belittle the Obamas, they are wasting their time. They seem to have forgotten that Hillary will be running against somebody else. Duh!

27. 97 carolyn
    April 3, 2013 at 10:29 pm

I loved seeing the picture of our President in San Francisco looking at the beautiful view of the Golden Gate Bridge. (at the end of the previous thread) I can see it in my mind, as I saw it for the four years I lived there. It is one of the most magnificent views anywhere, the bay, the ocean, the hills, the beautiful city……..and the bridge came out of the Great Depression. I am also glad he gets to leave D.C. and get out to other parts of the country. Those visits must truly relax him. I told my husband…”Hooray for California! They will raise a lot of money for the 2014 races all over the country. The rest of the country will have a lot to thank California for.” Where oh where is The Silver Fox?????

28. 98 GGAIL
    April 3, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Wow Chipsticks, I’ll be up all night reading all these goodies!

April 3, 2013 at 10:38 pm
    April 3, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Hi Chips! Thanks for the lovelies in the post. Bye, Chips! My eyes keep shutting down! Ta-ta, I think the last couple of late nights/mornings have caught up with me.

Sweet dreams, everyone!

31. 104 globalcitizenlinda
    April 3, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I could be wrong but something tells me that a vote against policies to reduce gun violence will come to haunt many legislators (especially Dems) in much the same way as the vote to authorize the Iraq War.

Reasoning: the voters overwhelmingly support the POTUS’s approach but the elected critters are fearing a shadowy organization (the nra) which PBO has twice defeated. many people are horrified as they try to imagine the terror the gun victims face and the pain n the hearts of those who loved them as they try to heal a wound that is almost impossible to heal. another reason is that there is not guarantee that mass shootings wont happen again and then each person has to explain their vote

32. 105 anniebella
    April 3, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I sent N.C. Republican Senator Richard Burr a email and I told him that the 20 kids of Newtown deserve a up or down vote. Have the guts and heart to give them that vote. And I email Senator Kay Hagan too and told her the same thing. I expect nothing from Burr, or Hagan. But I will keep after them.

April 3, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Shit just got real.

April 3, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahaha……I love the white house. Look at where they stuck the gossip hounds.

April 3, 2013 at 11:18 pm

100% true.

April 3, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Archbishop Desmond Tutu has won the £1.1m ($1.6m) Templeton Prize for “affirming life’s spiritual dimension”.

Organisers said he was awarded the 2013 prize for his lifelong work advancing spiritual principles such as love and forgiveness that have helped to liberate people around the world.

The former Anglican archbishop of Cape Town joins a distinguished group of 42 previous recipients.

Archbishop Tutu will receive the prize at the Guildhall in London on 21 May.

37. April 3, 2013 at 11:43 pm
    April 3, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Don’t know if this was posted already today. Gabby Giffords column in Aurora, CO paper

• 121 aquagranny911
      April 4, 2013 at 12:24 am

Whatever you do don’t read the comments to her LTE. Some were just nasty & the gun nuts were trolling.

April 4, 2013 at 12:40 am

{{{{ag}}}} how ARE you??!!! Thanks for the head’s up about the trolling nuts…I never read the comments, but others might….you just spared them the aggravation. They’re coming out of the woodwork now, like the damn little termites they are. We’re moving forward…92% of the country is with us and we will not be quiet, we will not back down until some common sense prevails. I’m so over this bs from them. Good to see you here…been so busy this week, barely have time to post much…but I always read:)

39. April 3, 2013 at 11:54 pm
  40. 124 anniebella
    April 3, 2013 at 11:56 pm

I just sent Senator Feinstein a email and I told her to please don’t give up. She is on the right side, it may take time, may have set backs but right will win out in the end. So please Sen. Feinstein keep fighting.

41. 125 anniebella
    April 3, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Good night all. Bless you all.

April 4, 2013 at 12:12 am

Bless you, anniebella. Thanks for everything you did for President Obama in support of his agenda, today and every day!

42. April 3, 2013 at 11:58 pm
  43. April 4, 2013 at 12:06 am

Inescapable ….

Until the ENTIRE American society is held ACCOUNTABLE for #GunViolence the epidemic will only expand. The facts are incontrovertible.

Yes We Can

44. April 4, 2013 at 12:06 am

All right all, I have an early day tomorrow, so I’m calling it a night.

Chapter 1 of my novel “The Genealogies” will post at http://www.novelsinprogress.com at 9 a.m. PDT; take a gander and comment if you can. I’ll be in a meeting all freaking morning, so I won’t be able to shamelessly blog pimp it. Oh, wait, that’s what I’m doing now.

Night all.

45. April 4, 2013 at 12:13 am
  46. 139 LDS
    April 4, 2013 at 12:16 am

Oh, before I forget…Congratz, VC on your ONE WOMAN SHOW tonight!
    WOW! I was truly amazed.
    Sweet sleep everyone.

47. April 4, 2013 at 12:17 am
  48. April 4, 2013 at 1:02 am

Please can some one tweet this for me, i am in twitter jail.
    RT “@jcvolt @SillyLiberals @melissabhays @SPeteDave @Serpentine202
    civilians should nt have high capacity weapons.only police & military”

49. 145 sonjiaduncan
    April 4, 2013 at 2:14 am

Marylanders To Prevent Gun Violence
    Share the news of today’s great victory! Next, the bill goes back to the Senate for what we hope will be a concurrence vote… and then on to the Governor!

50. 146 Indie Liberal
    April 4, 2013 at 3:14 am

Nice pics. Thanks! :)

51. 147 globalcitizenlinda
    April 4, 2013 at 5:59 am

I believe one additional way we can help out with the push for passage of a bill to reduce gun violence is by starting to get a roll call and exact quote from all the members of the house and senate about where they really stand. we can then publicize where each stands and why they choose to vote the way they say.

52. 148 donna dem 4 obama
    April 4, 2013 at 7:05 am

Good Early Thursday Morning TOD!

Stephen Colbert takes down the lunacy known as Morning Joe for his all out endorsement yesterday of the scandal ridden Appalachian Trail candidate who is opposing his sister in SC.

He’s the best comedian on tv!