Apr

Rise and Shine……

Walter Cronkite had almost finished broadcasting the “CBS Evening News” when he received word of Martin Luther King’s assassination. His report detailed the shooting and the nation’s reaction to the tragedy.

***

Just after MLK murder 45 years ago, unpublished LIFE pic of personal contents of his still-open briefcase:

MLK SuitCase

*****

Women’s History Month at the White House

Women’s History Month Foreign Policy Panel discussion

*****

White House Hangout: The Maker Movement

MakerMovement

***

White House innovation advisor Tom Kalil joins a Google+ Hangout to discuss the Maker Movement with leading innovators and Makers from around the country

*****

Earlier this month, President Obama met with 40 of the Nation’s top scientists and engineers—discoverers of new drug candidates to treat common cancers; inventors of tools to help surgeons in the operating room; developers of complex algorithms that can help robots navigate; and more. All of these innovators were finalists in the 2013 Intel Science Talent Search competition, and all of them are in still in high school.

***

Chelsea Clinton: If women matched mens’ employment rates in America, the GDP would rise by 5%

STEM

Getting to the STEM of gender equality

*****

President Obama discuss the importance of Passover and is hosting an Easter prayer Breakfast on Friday

*****

Sequester: From Bad to Worse

***

Sequester Isn’t A Joke For Jeff Maryak….cant afford a pay cut, so now he wants 2 go back 2 war.

SequesterArmy

***

Cancer clinics are turning away thousands of Medicare patients. Blame the sequester.

Docter

***

Assessing and Addressing Community Health Needs – the Next Step in Protecting Patients:

*****

President Obama has a few simple rules

“The most famous Obama precept is no drama,” he said, after being asked by Mike Allen to offer up basic Obama rules in the style of “Rummy’s rules” that Donald Rumsfeld spoke of.

The second rule: There is “no characteristic more important than discipline … the key is to chart out your course, make adjustments as you have to,” Pfeiffer said, to take the “long view.”

The third rule is a similar one: “To play chess not checkers – let’s try to look two or three moves down the board,” he said.

***

Senior Political Advisor Dan Pfeiffer on embarrassed journalist’s having to get quotes about Drudge stories

*****

Did Republican’s really mean what they said regarding universal background checks?

Flashback John McCain in 2000 on Gun Show loopholes

WH Fact Sheet of Gun Refom #Nowisthetime

BG

***

President Obama: Requiring Background Checks for Anyone Who Wants to Buy a Gun is Common Sense

Gov. Hickenlooper sceptical of NRA $36 Billion plan to arms all schools

*****

L.A. Revolutionizes Traffic control

L.A.

L.A.

“Now, in the latest ambitious and costly assault on gridlock, Los Angeles has synchronized every one of its 4,500 traffic signals across 469 square miles — the first major metropolis in the world to do so.”

*****

President Obama travels to S.F. to help raise money for the Democratic Party

President Obama in S.F. viewing the Golden Gate Bridge

SF

goldengate

Thursday:

1:25 pm  President Obama delivers remarks at a DNC fundraiser, Atherton,CA

3:25 pm: Delivers remarks at a DNC fundraiser

4:40 pm: Departs San Francisco

9:30 pm: Arrives White House

176 Responses to “Rise and Shine……”

April 4, 2013 at 8:00 am

Hello

2. 10 Jessica
    April 4, 2013 at 8:02 am

i had a great conversation with an older friend over healthcare, the foods we’re eating and everything that is wrong with corporate America.

April 4, 2013 at 8:04 am

You want a freaking huge smile on your face this morning? Watch this. Stephen Colbert is bloody awesome.

• April 4, 2013 at 8:26 am

yes! i saw this earlier this evening here in Sydney…brilliant. I am definitely cheering Colbert to win twice, first, elizabeth over the repub liar and then colbert report over that wasted space, Morning Joe.

• 13 99ts
        April 4, 2013 at 10:44 am

Hi Berny – where do you watch Colbert? It used to be on abc2 a couple of years ago – but I haven’t seen it since ??

4. 14 dotster3
    April 4, 2013 at 8:08 am

Today would have been the 7th birthday of Ana Marquez-Greene had she not been gunned down with 19 of her first grade classmates at Sandy Hook School. Look at this beautiful child. She is our child. We cannot stop pushing for sensible gun legislation. It has to happen.

April 4, 2013 at 8:13 am

THIS.

6. April 4, 2013 at 8:31 am

Aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome Rise and Shine, LovelyPlains, thank you sooooooooooooo much!!!! Morning everyone!

• April 4, 2013 at 8:39 am

GM Chips! I think I got all the tricks down….1 thing you might want to look into, is when I added the 3 line schedule it would not show up in preview. I think their is a space limit? 1 time it ghosted behind the Roger Simon tweet! It’s just Fundraiser 1:30/ 2:30/ leave 4 arrive 9

• April 4, 2013 at 9:13 am

Fixed that for you LP. It’s a quirky one, happened me yesterday too when I was embedding those tweets, what ever you put under them seems to get caught up in the same code and doesn’t appear in the post. I fixed it by highlighting your schedule and then clicking the quote symbol so it’s not selected:

Will check it out again later to see if I can find the, eh, perfect fix!

• 20 amk for obama
          April 4, 2013 at 9:24 am

showing off your stick figure drawing skills, eh?

• 22 utaustinliberal
          April 4, 2013 at 9:26 am

Hey Chips, walk me through this because I have the same problem. Anything posted after a tweet jumps back into the same line as a tweet and screws everything up. Even when I embed multiple tweets, the tweet just eats up the previous tweet in “Preview Mode”

Do I just highlight the tweet and click the quote symbol then jump down to the next line?

• April 4, 2013 at 9:31 am

Hiya UT, yeah, I was having all kinds of problems with those tweets I embedded yesterday, as I mentioned anything around them seemed to get caught up in the code so it was a mess. It was pure trial and error in the end that made it work, but I’m not even sure what I did. :oops:

I’m just getting some work done now but I’ll look in to it later, there’s probably a line of code we can stick in there to fix it. Will sort it out later, promise!

7. April 4, 2013 at 8:31 am

Good morning everyone! Just trying to start my day off right.

April 4, 2013 at 8:37 am

Excellent round up, lp.

• April 4, 2013 at 8:42 am

Thanks desi, Is everything showing up properly? b/c I think my computer is on suicide watch. Takes 3 minutes to power off and 3 minutes to turn on. Page loading is pain in the arse as well.

• 31 amk for obama
        April 4, 2013 at 8:45 am

Yup, everything is fine. It takes about 10 seconds for me for a full refresh.

windows 7 is a pita when booting and shutting down. 3 minutes is the norm.

• April 4, 2013 at 8:50 am

Never had this shutting down or power on problem, until I installed the new Norton 360 premiere this weekend. Now it keeps crashing flash and saying Norton identity is not responding.

• 33 amk for obama
            April 4, 2013 at 8:53 am

Oh boy. Don’t you ever read my posts ? How much did they get you for ?

I’ve exorcised that ghost 5 years back and free of its bs.

microsoft security essentials is enough of a protection.

9. April 4, 2013 at 8:37 am

Moooooorning all you O’s!!!!!!! It’s a great getting up day again here on the TOD porch doncha know!! Time for our 10 minute early morning stretch.

10. 37 Jovie
    April 4, 2013 at 8:42 am

I love how ever since the sequester kicked in everybody in the media is concerned with the backlog of V.A, benefits.
    The cutting of government does not HELP!
    And yet, nobody brings that fact up!
    Amazing! They want to blame the president for this.
    It’s been a problem, especially after WAR, since Lincoln and it’s a very easy target for people who want to injure the president.
    Congress could act, step in and write some new laws to help. But, they will not, they just want to hurt the president!

11. 38 Jovie
    April 4, 2013 at 8:53 am

The jobless claims are spiking again, you know, right after the sequester.
    But the MSM says it’s because it’s cold outside, and not because of the sequester, which really isn’t that hard to figure out.
    Argh!

• April 4, 2013 at 8:57 am

It’s not unusually cold – so the MSM is full of BULL.

G’morning LovelyPlains and thanks for an excellent Rise & Shine! G’morning Chips, Jovie, TOD, lurkers, everyone and Happy Thursday :)

April 4, 2013 at 9:30 am

With this excuse the media can continue to say that POTUS was not being truthful when he was talking about the sequester. They don’t want to come out and say the jobless claims spike because of the Republican sequester.

April 4, 2013 at 9:04 am

Morning! Incredible R/S, LP:)

• April 4, 2013 at 9:07 am

TY desertflower, I think I got all the WP tricks figured out..almost there!

April 4, 2013 at 9:18 am

Well, looks great to me….you’re really doing an amazing job, as all the other guest bloggers are:) Great to get up in the morning and read the TOD news! Thanks for all you do…AND Chips can sleep in! How good is that?!

13. April 4, 2013 at 9:07 am

Good morning, TODers. PBO’s remarks last night were AWESOME and definitely worth a read!!

14. April 4, 2013 at 9:10 am

Wowzers!

April 4, 2013 at 9:27 am

16. 54 carolyn
    April 4, 2013 at 9:29 am

Thanks for the reminder of when we had real news in the evening. I’m afraid if that happened today during the news, it would just be a crawl at the bottom, and ABC would go on with their Instant Index and NBC would go on with Making a Difference…..CBS, I don’t know….but the days of Walter Cronkite are gone. He didn’t do the cute puff pieces so prominent now. Or, Briwi would have Chucky across the desk asking him assinine questions about political implications…..totally nauseating.

17. 55 dotster3
    April 4, 2013 at 9:31 am

Ct. passes historic tough gun bill——had passed in state senate, passed in state house of rep. at 2:26 a.m today, after numerous hours of heated debate. Gov. Malloy will sign the bill at noon today. Hooray.

18. April 4, 2013 at 9:36 am

Just so we don’t have 96 blog tyrants posting at the same time, UT will be treating you to some wonderfulness next – I see her working away like a Trojan in drafts!

• 62 amk for obama
      April 4, 2013 at 9:40 am

“Just so we don’t have 96 blog tyrants posting at the same time”

Like that is going to work…

• 63 japa21
        April 4, 2013 at 9:46 am

Seems to me that only one has been habitually posting right after someone else posts.
        (Chips, I have a comment awaiting in moderation due to bad typing on my part when I entered email address. That can be deleted)

• 64 amk for obama
          April 4, 2013 at 9:49 am

egg.sack.lee, japa.

bt, heal thyself.

• April 4, 2013 at 9:49 am

That’s true, Japa :oops:

I just spotted that three of our blog tyrants have draft posts they’re working on, so I was afraid they’d all arrive at the same time! But, yes, only one person around here has done something as daft as that……

• 66 utaustinliberal
      April 4, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Hey Chiparoo, if any of the other blog tyrants have something to post, then they should go ahead or you can post it for them. I’ll post later in the day. Thanks. :D

April 4, 2013 at 9:38 am

April 4, 2013 at 9:42 am

dedicated to vc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

April 4, 2013 at 9:49 am

Morning UTAL, nice to see you up there! How are things going?

Thanks for Rise & Shine, LP! I’ve noted my goals ….
    1. No drama
    2. Be disciplined
    3. Play chess, not checkers.
    This last one will be hardest as I do not understand the game AT ALL, even though years ago Offspring tried to teach me. Lost cause, but I did buy him a board or two in case anyone who dropped by wanted to play.

HelloooOOOoo there, wherever you are Ms Chips!

Howdy to ALL TODobots, and all visitors with good intent!

….Let’s see, have I covered everybody? Hope so! HAVE A TRULY JOYOUS ‘NO DRAMA’ THURSDAY! :lol: :lol:

• April 4, 2013 at 9:55 am

I’m here VC! Dropping in and out this morning, mainly just to make sure Amk and Japa aren’t trashing the place. A very, very, very good morning to you!

April 4, 2013 at 9:51 am

For the eyes of men only.

23. 94 isonprize
    April 4, 2013 at 9:53 am

from Oklahoma. Wow, just wow…

From my Facebook feed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really? In case you wonder what the minimum standards should be for public service? THIS GUY – (Oklahoma State Rep. Mike Reynolds (R) – is below the threshold.

April 4, 2013 at 9:59 am

Problem in a nutshell! Race to the bottom! I got mine, screw you! Whomever can be as dumb as ME, I’ll agree with! GOPFAIL.

24. 96 Nena20409
    April 4, 2013 at 10:03 am

GM all TODers in the Village ;). On April 4, 1968 Dr Rev MLK was assassinated in Memphis MS.

U2’s tribute to that awful day is one of my fav U2 songs: In the name of Love.

Great post, LP. Thank you.

25. April 4, 2013 at 10:09 am

26. April 4, 2013 at 10:09 am

27. April 4, 2013 at 10:10 am

28. April 4, 2013 at 10:12 am

Very important developments towards ME peace. John Kerry is also heading back this weekend…

• 104 theo67
      April 4, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I love the persistence of this Administration. And I think John Kerry is doing great work, and will actually get stuff done as Secretary of State. This could happen.

• 105 Indie Liberal
        April 4, 2013 at 1:53 pm

He really is. Just wish more supporters (not you all :) ) of PBO, VPB appreciated and respected him more.

Thanks for the diaries during the confirmation hearings.

It was discouraging, and still is to read a lot of comments, tweets ( don’t use Twitter) from those that proudly support our PBO and VPB to aim mean-spirited attacks on then Sen (now SOS) Kerry over what happened with Ambassdor Rice. He defended her behind the scenes (and in his confirmation hearing) and did not publicaly lobby for the job and some think (He didn’t care for the tactic after the Edwards fiasco).

Plus, Rice worked for Kerry back in 04 and was one of those that helped prepped Kerry for that 1st debate win against Bush. And PBO and VPB for that matter would never decide on a person that would undermine a sitting cabinet member and friend. If people want to get mad, then be angry at the media and the GOP that created that circus, rather than an honorable person in Kerry. Sometimes, just want to ask the same people who love PBO and support Hagel (who is good by me) what and why is/do they have axe to grind with Kerry, it’s just mindboggling.

Back to topic at hand, this is hopeful, real progress and more to come. His wife Teresa is a nice asset as well. :)

29. 106 Jovie
    April 4, 2013 at 10:13 am

The President gave the order to put missle interceptors in Guam this week, ahead of schedule.
    These new missle batteries will enable the US to shoot down at point of reference.
    Then, if it somehow gets through, we have the missle batteries in California and Alaska!
    The President ain’t taking any chances! :)

• April 4, 2013 at 10:45 am

Remember his whole strategic shift in military prominence to the Pacific Rim that he announced during his trip to Australia? Always thinking long term and big picture!!

30. April 4, 2013 at 10:16 am

31. April 4, 2013 at 10:18 am

Headed to Salem, OR for a coalition rally to reduce gun violence.

32. April 4, 2013 at 10:20 am

• 112 99ts
      April 4, 2013 at 10:24 am

And there I was posting about MLK – should have refreshed – how amazing are those who put their strength and rhetoric and actions into all that is good about our world.

33. 113 99ts
    April 4, 2013 at 10:22 am

Watching Walter Cronkite – I am reminded how so many have been lost – be it JFK – or a 5 year old in school – or the 15 year old “hanging out” after class. It is those who are vibrant, who are loved, who are intelligent, who don’t want the violence who die – and it is those who stir up the anger and the hatred – who live on.

Oh dear – some days I need to concentrate on the good news – I’ll go look at the San Francisco bridge :)

34. 114 yardarm756
    April 4, 2013 at 10:25 am

Good day mates

April 4, 2013 at 10:30 am

Japan’s central bank has surprised markets with the size of its latest stimulus package, as it tries to spur growth and end years of falling prices.

The move was seen as a clear signal by the bank’s new boss, Haruhiko Kuroda, that he was willing to spend heavily to achieve an inflation target of 2%.

The bank said it would increase its purchase of government bonds by 50 trillion yen ($520bn; £350bn) per year.

That is the equivalent of almost 10% of Japan’s annual gross domestic product.

The bank added that it would buy longer-term government bonds as well as riskier assets.

The previous approach of incremental easing wasn’t enough to pull Japan out of deflation and achieve 2% inflation in two years,” Mr Kuroda said.

“This time, we took all necessary steps to achieve the target.”

hint, hint, rethugs ?

36. April 4, 2013 at 10:41 am

I’m being followed by the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv. Should I be concerned? :???:

37. 131 JER
    April 4, 2013 at 10:42 am

First Lady Michelle Obama Announces Second ‘Healthy Lunchtime Challenge’ Recipe Contest And White House Kids’ State Dinner.
    Deadline to enter is May 12; Prize package includes round trip airfare to DC and a hotel stay… http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2013/04/first-lady-michelle-obama-announces.html

April 4, 2013 at 12:10 pm

That Healthy Lunchtime Challenge was so cool last year, and then they had the special guest to stop by, none other than POTUS.

38. April 4, 2013 at 10:43 am

Chips – Dude, I just saw one of your tweets RT’s by the USEmbassyTelAviv!!

39. April 4, 2013 at 10:43 am

Take a few minutes to enjoy this hit job when you get a chance

40. 138 japa21
    April 4, 2013 at 10:53 am

41. 141 japa21
    April 4, 2013 at 10:58 am

• 142 Vicki
      April 4, 2013 at 11:11 am

Better get used to it, TOD.
      All-Clinton all the time. In the eyes of the corporatocracy and MSM the Pre-Presidency has begun.

Carville and Sharpton were on the Clinton team until the bettter, I meant bitter end.
      And as Don noted they have gotten the band back together.

• 144 Linda
      April 4, 2013 at 11:30 am

Carville just joined her SuperPac

• 145 theo67
        April 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm

And they’ve all started crawling out of the woodwork… It must have been hard for them these past four years. Same old guard.

42. 146 MightyPamela
    April 4, 2013 at 11:02 am

G’day y’all! A check in hello and will be back later on….. Today MUST be a day of resting with feet up.. Somehow. ;).

• April 4, 2013 at 11:24 am

GM MightyPamela. Please take this () and wrap it around your precious feet. Lots of love and goodness of thoughts coming from my heart to yours. Rest, my dear precious one.HZ

• 148 MightyPamela
        April 4, 2013 at 3:25 pm

{{{{{HZ}}}}}. Wonders are working, HZ! Nice and slow today, a very foreign pace for me…..

43. 149 japa21
    April 4, 2013 at 11:08 am

Just want to say Pierce is on a roll today. Including a piece somewhat tied to my earlier tweet on domestic terrorism. But his view of the North korea situation as well as Louie “The Rat” Gohmert are also great.

44. 151 japa21
    April 4, 2013 at 11:13 am

45. 155 dotster3
    April 4, 2013 at 11:17 am

How can this be??? Vid shows New Orleans jail inmates using drugs, drinking beer and waving a gun around. What in the world???

46. 156 Linda
    April 4, 2013 at 11:21 am

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. — Rutgers University’s fired basketball coach is due a $100,000 bonus for lasting through the season.

Mike Rice was dismissed Wednesday after a video was made public of him kicking and shoving players and spewing gay slurs during practices.

He would not be collecting the bonus if he had been fired in December when the university first saw the video and the administration decided only to discipline him.

Rice was paid $622,500 last year under a deal that also included bonuses for winning games and graduating players. His five-year contract called for a $100,000 bonus if he completed the 2012-13 season.

Athletic Department spokesman Jason Baum tells The Associated Press the bonus will be paid because it’s contractually obligated.

• 157 AJ
      April 4, 2013 at 12:01 pm

So, this was the reason they didn’t fire him earlier…they wanted to make sure he got his bonus. Unfreaking believable.

• 158 theo67
        April 4, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Kids mean nothing to these people. They can be shot up, beaten up, harassed and terrorized – doesn’t matter to them, once the child is out of the womb.

April 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm

This coach should have been fired when the AD first saw that tape.

47. April 4, 2013 at 11:24 am

48. April 4, 2013 at 11:32 am

49. April 4, 2013 at 11:32 am

50. 165 Don
    April 4, 2013 at 11:38 am

The picture of President Obama with his hands in his pocket and him contemplating in front of the MLK statue does my heart good. I’ve had a lot of anger lately at my perceived disrespect of this President and his family from all sides. I’m still mad at GLAAD, I’m growing angrier daily at the Clinton’s utter disregard for what this President is trying to accomplish and by their incessant need to be the focal point of everything under the sun. But what keeps me sane is that President Obama goes about his business with focus and determination and without complaint.

• 166 theo67
      April 4, 2013 at 12:38 pm

You know, the thing that keeps me somewhat sane about the way these racists and emoprogs (not always mutually exclusive) treat him is something President Obama said. He talked one day about how tough the original freedom fighters and civil rights workers had it – and that anything he has to endure is nothing compared to those days. And he’s right. In previous years, those who stood for the right thing didn’t even have the law to protect them – and at times, the law enforcers were the ones who did the damage.

President Obama’s physical body is protected by people who seem to genuinely care for him. His soul is protected by his faith. And his spirit is protected by who he is, the fact that he’s on the right side of history, and the love of his family. He’ll be ok. The tears of those who continue to fail in their attempts to defeat him are a sweet reward.

April 4, 2013 at 11:42 am

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My fav girls, rizzoli & isles, are back.

Gunnite folks.

52. 169 Bill R.
    April 4, 2013 at 11:49 am

53. 170 Bill R.
    April 4, 2013 at 11:51 am

54. April 4, 2013 at 12:23 pm

55. 176 anniebella
    April 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm

That dam sorry ass North Carolina Governor is planning to do a overhaul to Medicaid. I don’t know why Republicans hate poor people so much.