Apr

This and That

Greg Sargent: Liberals who oppose Chained CPI need to start thinking right now about how to answer this question: Which is worse, a Grand Bargain, or continued sequestration? It’s unclear to me that there is any other likely outcome. Either Republicans will decide to weather sequestration or they will agree to some kind of a deal to replace it. So liberals need a good policy answer to that question…..

Michael Tomasky: I Think Obama Is Bluffing

Steve Benen: The President, for good or ill, is once again returning to the negotiating table with pre-emptive concessions, offering cuts to Medicare and Social Security. In exchange, Obama expects Republicans to scrap the sequestration cuts and accept about $600 billion in new revenue through closed loopholes, limits on deductions, and ending tax breaks for industries like Big Oil.

Business Insider: Barack Obama’s Budget Will Contain A Massive ‘Screw You’ To Mitt Romney

Steve Benen: Sequestration takes a toll on cancer patients, Medicare… Sequestration cuts are affecting Medicare – though not as much as some other programs — and cancer clinics really are turning away thousands of patients as a result of the Republican spending cuts….

Greg Sargent: The economy added only 88,000 non-farm jobs in March. Could that be the beginning of sequestration? Or, alternatively, it could be wrong and could end up getting revised upwards. Indeed, January was revised upward to 148,000 jobs, and February up to 268,000. Of course, we may soon find out whether the sequester will undermine whatever recovery is underway

Steve Benen: Jobs totals stumble to 10-month low

Washington Post: Maryland’s already-strong gun laws will become among the strictest in the nation with a measure passed by the General Assembly Thursday, sending the bill to the Democratic governor who proposed the legislation in the aftermath of December’s massacre at a Newtown….

Business Insider: Actually, Obama Really Does Have The Support Of Gun Owners

Ronald Brownstein: Why the Culture Wars Now Favor Democrats – Gay marriage, gun control, immigration – the wedge issues now divide Republicans…

Steve Benen: And then there were four …. This morning, freshman Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D) of North Dakota issued a statement endorsing marriage equality …. almost immediately after, freshman Sen. Joe Donnelly (D) of Indiana published a statement saying he, too, supports equal marriage rights for all….

Charles Pierce: Former freakishly elected senator Scott Brown has been listening to those consultants again, and is spoiling to get his leather-shorted ass kicked by another woman in another New England state….

President Obama bows his head in prayer during the Easter Prayer Breakfast at the White House, April 5

Next week, there’s a major push by the White House on gun violence reform – on Monday, President Obama will speak on the issue in Hartford, CT; on Tuesday, VP Biden will host law enforcement officials at the White House; on Wednesday the First Lady will speak in Chicago on gun violence, and on Thursday VP Biden will appear on Morning Joe for a roundtable discussion on the issue. More details soon.

Good-looking-gate:

What am I missing from today?

191 Responses to “This and That”

April 5, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Whoa!

2. April 5, 2013 at 3:40 pm

.@morningmika Your complaint abt the wonderful compliment PBO bestowed on @kamalaharris is curious, look at pic of u twitter.com/docrocktex26/s…— RanMan (@ranman09) April 5, 2013

3. 23 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    April 5, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Okay — who broke twitter? I’m getting a purple screen with text that looks like MS-DOS

4. April 5, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Good Friday afternoon TODer’s! Looking forward to the weekend!!!!

Congratulations Jacquelineoboomer! :-)

As the MSM continues to try to create “major news” from non-issues, thanks Chipsticks and TODer’s for keeping it real. Great compilation of this and that.

5. April 5, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Just when I was thisclose to embracing the progressives again, they pull this stunt yet AGAIN….Now their head explodes once again on BULL!

I find it rather remarkable that the ones complaining about obama proposals sat out in 2010 and let the teabaggers take over congress. Maybe I have been living under a rock, but the proposals that obama put on the table is NOT NEWS. He has proposed this how many times? I guess about 4 times and what happened next? The progressives explodes on blogs, twitter, facebook. Calling obama a traders, HE IS CLOSET REPUBLICAN, He is capituating to what the gop wants, Seniors object, blah blah blah

And guess what happens next…Boehner makes a statement..

NO REVENUES..ONLY CUTS…RINSE, and REPEAT

Lets see.. How many times has Boehner and the teabaggers rejected obama capitulations or budget proposals? On cue you hear them saying NO DEAL. And obama has said he is not budging without revenues. So why is everyone screaming about something that will never happen?

Also we can all play devils advocate and and ask. What if the The GOP and Boehner agree to everything obama wants? HOW THE HELL IS IT GETTING PASSED THE SENATE? NO how the HELL IS IT GETTING THRU THE HOUSE?

Again, the progressives need to stop with the head exploding. Nothing is going to pass and that includes obamas budget. Instead of them whining and complaining and bitching about obama betraying them, they need to start preparing on helping obama get the house back so that we can pass the type of budget obama really wants and Nancy Pelosi is in charge.

My rant for the day..

6. April 5, 2013 at 4:11 pm

It’s great that the ladies of The Mary Tyler Moore Show have had an opportunity to reunite. Valerie Harper has such a positive attitude.

April 5, 2013 at 4:12 pm

This is a must read piece. Angela Rye nailed it and she used facts to counteract the BS.

• 43 nathkatun7
      April 5, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Great piece, UT! Thank you so much for sharing it! As Chipsticks said on the previous thread, “the world has gone mad.” How can any sane person buy into this nonsense that President Obama is a sexist and a misogynist? This is a president who put two, I repeat two, women in succession on the U.S. Supreme Court. This is a man who, in his first term, appointed a woman as Sec. of State; and another as Sec of Homeland Security; and another as Sec. of Health and Human Services; and another as Sec. of Labor; and another as Ambassador to the UN; and another as head of EPA; and yet another as head SBA! So this is a man who, we are told, hates and degrades women? This is absolute insanity! I used to think that it was just Republicans who were insane in their hatred of President Obama. Now I know that the Obama Derangement Syndrome (ODS) knows no ideological, gender, or racial boundaries.

8. April 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm

All of the criticism I’ve seen about President Obama’s compliment claimed it was in a professional environment but IT WASN’T. It was at a fundraiser. Is a fundraiser a workplace now?

• 45 utaustinliberal
      April 5, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Good point; logic will never factor into the mind a of a poutrager.

Ma’am, I’m going to need you to stop making sense. :D

9. 46 Linda
    April 5, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Trayvon Martin’s family has reached a settlement in a wrongful death suit they filed against the homeowners association of the sub-division where Martin was killed, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

Portions of the settlement released Friday do not specify how much money Martin’s family will receive, but according to the Sentinel, the figure is believed to be in excess of $1 million. The settlement does, however, state that Zimmerman is not part of the agreement. Lawyers for Martin’s family have made it clear that they still plan to file a civil claim against Zimmerman at a later point.

• 47 TrumpDog
      April 5, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Good for them. I’m certain whatever money they get can never make up for the senseless loss of their child plus the bullshit they’ve had to put up with but at least they were successful in this case.

10. April 5, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Ugh, the blog spam-blocker is glitchy again today, I’ve found a few good people in there – and Japa. Fear not if your comment doesn’t appear, I’ll spot it eventually!

• 49 japa21
      April 5, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Mine was from yesterday. Go ahead and delete.

• April 5, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I think that was a different one Japa, ie just stuck in pending because of a typo – the one I saw a little while ago was stuck in the spam folder, for some unknown reason, along with a few other people’s tweets.

11. April 5, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I keep watching the video of President Obama and Kid President over and over again and each time it makes me smile to see the interaction between the two. The President would definitely be a good mentor to young boys. Not only is he a fantastic role model, he has patience and the ability to make people feel good about themselves.

Lately when I think about the President, I keep thinking about the lines from Kipling’s poem…

” If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch;”

Our President associates with world leaders and people of fame. (TOD has had a number of photo journals as proof of this. :-) ) Yet he can still relate to “ordinary” people.

12. 52 Vicki
    April 5, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Chris Hayes’ show is sinking in the ratings and Rachel’s ## are going down as well. The first night for Chris was a smash but downhill the rest of the week.

Like Chris and his friends or hate them either way this is not very good news. Just as Current with Stephanie Miller and Cenk going down was not good news. Even tho I loathed Cenk.

Liberal/progressive/emoprogressive/democratic leaning voices disappearing.

Nothing to cheer about.

On the other hand if you aren’t going to help us win the House in 2014—goodbye, we won’t miss you

• April 5, 2013 at 4:44 pm

That’s the thing, Vicki. People like Chris, Cenk, and I’m sad to say Rachel, aren’t on the air to help us win in 2014. They’re on the air to push narratives, usually ones which go against PBO and try to divide the Democrats.

• 54 Bill
      April 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I have the sense MSNBC could care less about our winning the House in 2014. With the exception of Reverend Al the major concern of the MSNBC lineup are their careers.

• 55 Vicki
        April 5, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Corporate MSNBC definitely doesn’t want Dems to take the House or hold the Senate. I think lawrence and Al are strong democrats, Martin B. loves POTUS, Chris M doesn’t know on any given day whether he is coming or going, Rachel will be cheering for Hillary again and Chris H. is what he is.
        Bill, LL, is it entirely hopeless to think that we can tune into anything on TV with confidence?

• April 5, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Short answer? Pretty much.

I don’t mean to be a downer, Not at all. Actually, I think it’s an opportunity to put paid to the current media model which is serving no one save a few fat cats. The fact is that Millennials don’t watch any of the news nets. I’m not a Millennial—straight up Gen X here. But I haven’t watched cable nets or terrestrial news—save for the Inauguration—in years. I didn’t even watch the US stations on Election night. I watched BBC and AJE.

• 57 Bill
            April 5, 2013 at 5:21 pm

You are a wise man, LL.

• April 5, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Well, as you know, my missus lost her job yesterday. And ever since then I’ve been in the dumps. But something clicked around noon today and got me out of my funk. Went home, discussed options with her, and she’s seriously considering getting her RN or even BSN.

And, schmaltzy as this sounds, but I was watching Jim Valvano’s last speech in front of NC State celebrating their 1983 NCAA win. He was a short time away from death, and he just gave the most loving, life affirming speech. Kind of put things in perspective.

We can’t ever give up. Once we do, they win.

• 59 Vicki
            April 5, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Well, LL, if you’re right and I think you are, I am out of luck because I like news on television. At my age ( 70) I doubt I will stop watching. Better figure out a way to not let it get to me.

I hope that the serious difficulties you and Mrs. LL are experiencing improve as soon as possible.

• April 5, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I think they will, Vicki. She’s seriously considering going back to school and getting her nursing degree. Yay for Pres. Obama’s student loan reforms which mean she would only have to pay for 10 years.

And you’re never too old to watch the news on your computer or on a streaming device linked to your TV! It’s quite liberating, actually.

• 61 jackiegrumbacher
            April 5, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I agree LL, that the current media model is circling the drain. Not only don’t millennials watch, but even some old Silent Generation type like me don’t watch either. The State of the Union, the Oscars and the Inaugurations (of PBO) are it in the news nets dept. If there were an actual news show with a real roundup of things that happened during the day including the president’s speeches, trips, etc and the real actions of Congress, it might be worth watching. But I don’t have the slightest interest in talking heads.

• April 5, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I grew up watching Kronkite and Rather, and remember when they had bureaus all over the world and dug into stories. Then I started noticing “human interest stories” creeping into the broadcasts. By the time I was in my 20s I had switched to CNN; I watched the collapse of the Soviet Union and Tiananmen round the clock. And then the cable nets started getting dumbed down after Fox splashed on the scene.

The US used to have wonderful news services. (Chomsky might disagree.) Now it’s all crap, and embarrassing.

13. April 5, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Ok, the Siskel and Ebert toon made me smile. No more reviewing for you, gents; just enjoy the show.

14. 64 Allison
    April 5, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Chips, Will you be able to post the video of Amb Rice and Angela Mitchell? Amb Rice was not taking any of Angela’s BS.

15. 67 Allison
    April 5, 2013 at 4:52 pm
  16. April 5, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Why Obama’s Kamala Harris Quip Wasn’t Sexist – The latest controversy surrounding the president gives feminists a bad name.

• April 5, 2013 at 5:16 pm

WHOA! That’s from Keli Goff?!! She is notorious (in my book) for claiming President Obama has a woman problem. Shocking.

• 71 dotster3
      April 5, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I wish he didn’t feel the need to apologize. There was absolutely nothing to apologize for. I’m usually the most optimistic person in the hemisphere, but i’m sighing a lot with the news today.
      I wish it wasn’t just President Obama who feels the need to compromise. I don’t like what I’m hearing about social security cuts either.
      Doesn’t winning the election count for anything?—-the people spoke on these issues. It’s just an ugly situation with these indecent Repubs, holding the country and the president hostage.
      And I’m seeing a bunch of job layoff news items again—–I’m guessing that’s a likely outcome of the manufactured sequester crisis, harming a fragile economy—–just when indicators were trending positive.
      Boo hiss!
      It’s 5 o’clock somewhere, right?

• April 5, 2013 at 5:20 pm

And she’s right. If roles were reversed no one would say anything.

• 73 nathkatun7
      April 5, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Chips, thanks for sharing this piece. Ms Goff was absolutely spot-on! I suppose if people visited TOD they would label as sexist all the ladies you send to the naughty mat because they find PBO to be one hot man; or some of us men and women who think FLOTUS is one gorgeous lady! As you said on the previous thread, “the world has gone mad,” if people think that there was something wrong, or inappropriate, for the President to complement CA’s AG as the best looking AG in the country. The TRUTH is: She is the best looking Attorney General in the United States! And as Ms. Keli Goff said — and I am sure there many ladies here who agree with her–President Obama is the best looking President in her life time. So what’s wrong with her saying that? Does that make her less committed to gender equality and respect for women?

17. 74 yardarm756
    April 5, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Ah, Rubio.

18. 75 susanne
    April 5, 2013 at 5:11 pm

aloha chips and tods! mostly lurking, but had to add this to the conversation. here’s why we need the brain initiative:

April 5, 2013 at 5:16 pm
    April 5, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Fantastic piece. Left me clapping and saying Y-E-S!

21. April 5, 2013 at 5:32 pm
  22. April 5, 2013 at 5:51 pm

This tweet from Tina Brown is getting some eye rolls and chuckles on twitter

• 84 HZ
      April 5, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Good Afternoon my Chips and TOD Family. I am missing you all, but I am getting better as I try to catch up in my reading. This beautiful haven adds to my joyful space daily. Supporting POB is a joy, and all of us who are doing so surely will be blessed. We continue to stay together, and we will be fine.

POB is a gentleman to his core. No, he did not have to call our AG(who is a very, very, close friend of the president’s) but since the wild west and others were driving all off of the range, he made the call. The record is set in stone. POB thinks in the longterm.

And by the way, he again spoke the truth. Knowing what I know, AG Harris will be fine, and that call will be on the record to make sure the low battery brainers will not have this one to go back on in AG Harris’ future. Case closed.HZ

• April 5, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Lovely to hear from you HZ, I hope your health is improving and you’re getting stronger? Always a joy to read your comments, you have the kindest of hearts, and are endlessly encouraging. Little wonder we love ya!

23. April 5, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Andrea MItchell is here to tell you when a compliment is a compliment or something.

• 87 Bill
      April 5, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Wonder when was the last time someone told Mrs. Greenspan she was goodlooking. Maybe Mr. Greenspan after a few drinks?

• 88 dotster3
      April 5, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Omigod—–insanity. Andrea’s all in on this very important subject. Just pitiful. And by the way, why can’t President Obama give a compliment to anyone he sees as attractive—–white, black, yellow, whatever—–anyone—-female, male—–why can’t he give a compliment just like any other normal person? This subject is absolutely ridiculous. I’ve had it with the extreme nuttiness and the obsession by some to search out and focus solely on whatever goofiness they can use to malign President Obama.

• April 5, 2013 at 6:17 pm

You know Dotster, there have been some truly pathetic OUTRAGES over the last four/five years, but I think this one beats all. 90% of the fools ranting about it have their own agendas, so I don’t take them seriously, but the rest are generally good people who have completely lost the plot. The worst part on Twitter yesterday was people leaving out that PBO also called Kamala Harris “brilliant, dedicated and tough”, they made out he only referred to her looks. Their dishonesty was breathtaking. And Zerlina Maxwell, who led it all, quoted PBO as calling Harris “hot” – when he said no such thing. She was challenged about that, she said she hadn’t enough space in the tweet so that’s the word that would fit. She tweeted about 187,272 times on the whole thing, so why she didn’t just start a new tweet to fit in the correct words …. well.

I despair.

PS This was Maxwell’s piece on Chris Christie last year …. and she criticizes people making ‘personal’ comments about others’ appearances?

• April 5, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I’ve seen a lot of people say he’s allowed to say this to her in private. I don’t buy it. If he said this in private and people found out, the criticism would be the same.

• 94 carolyn
      April 5, 2013 at 6:40 pm

And people wonder why evening news broadcasts are losing viewers? Here’s one reason. Not news, idle speculation and gossip. I too remember Rather, Cronkite, Huntley, Brinkley, half hour broadcasts packed with real news. Overseas bureaus with reports every night from locations, not cute people sitting across the desk from the anchor, chatting.

24. 95 vitaminlover
    April 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm

What is everyone doing this weekend?

25. April 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm
  26. April 5, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Programming note: Deaniac is going to have a barn burner on chained CPI on The People’s View. (Being a mini tyrant there as well lets me see pieces as they’re developing.)

• April 5, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Oooooooooh, excellent LL, looking forward to it.

• 101 carolyn
        April 5, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I’m definitely looking forward to that article. Deaniac’s analysis is always crystal clear, and he has been RIGHT about everything the President has done, and has understood and explained complex matters to me. The emoprog left should shut up until all the facts are known. Jason Easley also has a good article on this Budget up.

27. 102 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    April 5, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Here is link to Amb Rice kicking rear-end and taking names. Mrs. Greenspan was sooooooooo out of her league!

28. April 5, 2013 at 6:04 pm
  29. April 5, 2013 at 6:07 pm
  30. 107 anniebella
    April 5, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I am amazed that we have that idiot in North Korea making threats about starting a nuclear war and all some folks can fine to talk about is POTUS saying to a friend that she is good at her job and she is the best looking AG. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. April 5, 2013 at 6:08 pm
  32. 109 anniebella
    April 5, 2013 at 6:14 pm

So Mrs. Greenspan is going to tell us when telling a woman she is good looking is not a compliment. I want POTUS and all men to make sure they heard this.

33. April 5, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Sorry to see so many negative comments about Rachel Maddow.

Yes, she drives me nuts when she doesn’t get to the point (frequently).

Yes, I hate it when she puts her emoprog/Professional Left hat on and bashes the President over drones/Gitmo/vets, etc., but it’s her show, and she’s free to air whatever her opinions may be.

But outside of NPR and 60 minutes, she’s the ONLY investigative reporter on basic cable. (Please correct me if I’m wrong, my basic cable doesn’t include Current, Al-Jazeera or BBC).

Last night’s show was stellar.

1) MARYLAND
    Unmasked GOP Don Dwyer, Maryland, calling for “armed resurrection” against the govt. and tweeting that supporters should e-mail him rather than respond on his Facebook page.

18 minute video, but you can skip to about 5:30 for the Don Dwyer segment

2) NORTH CAROLINA – CRAZY GOP v VOTING RIGHTS (incuding student)

Attn: Bill, Kathyrn Kevitt, et.al., Rachel said she would air more on NC tonight
    6 minute video

3) Czech Republic on their way to fulfilling a pledge that President Obama made 4 years ago in Prague to rein in the possibility of loose nukes
    9 minute video

4) UN Arms Trade Treaty
    Finally, how the treasonous GOP are prepared to make the US on par with Iran, North Korea and Syria on the world stage, all in the name of “freedom” aka NRA LOBBY.
    5 minute video, skip to 2:45

• 111 Vicki
      April 5, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Agree entirely,arapaho, as far as rachel doing great investigative reporting. Her work on abortion clinics alone entitles her to our respect.
      And her work on voter suppression. and the way we go to war coverage in her wonderful book Drift.
      The issue is that when Rachel criticizes PBO I get angry and feel betrayed. Maybe that’s childish in view of all the good she does but I want to be able to trust Rachel and other newspeople to be fairer to PBO.
      When they jumped all over POTUS on Obamacare they were WRONG. And if they understood what the ACA is really about they might apologize just as Keith Olbermann did.

• April 5, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Thanks a million for those links, Arapaho.

Rachel drives me nuts some times, seriously nuts, to the point where I have to switch her off before my head explodes. It’s usually when she has her professional left buddies on (way too often), or when she’s just being dishonest, as she was about PBO and gay marriage that night legislation passed in New York.

But I do think she’s brilliant, probably the finest mind on political TV, and has produced some of the very best journalism I’ve seen over the last few years.

So, I just take the occasionally infuriating because I think she’s worth it – although I’ll always tune out when Greenwald and Co turn up on the show. Life’s too short to be listening to that bile.

Thanks again Arapaho.

• April 5, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I bow to her blogginess.

Or her tyrantressness.

(I should leave the jokes to the masters, amk and yardarm.)

But seriously, last night’s show was one of Rachel’s best, truly crammed with info not available ANYWHERE else on basic cable.

She has a kick-ass staff to be able to compile a week’s worth of work into a single 1 hour show.

• 114 cman
      April 5, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I love Maddow! Listen to her show at work practically everyday.

• 115 Melanie
      April 5, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Thanks for the links Arapaho. I think Rachel is brilliant and is the best political mind on tv, She drove me crazy when talking about the parades for the vets and a few other things but the research she does and the way she supports her points are like no one else on tv.

34. 116 vitaminlover
    April 5, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Nut Gingrinch’s wife hair looks like a impenetrable helmet. I’m scared.

35. 117 Bill R.
    April 5, 2013 at 6:30 pm
  36. 119 Indie Liberal
    April 5, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Haven’t seen many thoughts on the environment, but wondering what TOD community’s thoughts are on Keystone. Had it not been for the PBO-AG Harris outrage, other issues would be getting attention (or not).

Though PBO isn’t signaling whether is will approve the project, hope there will be another way to keep the environment (aka Climate Change) out there despite the GOP obstruction. It is very possible that the previous Sec.State intentionally didn’t sign off on KXL, so that it she wouldn’t be seen doing it on her watch. In the end, the pressure will be on Obama and Kerry from both sides to approve/reject it.

• 120 Indie Liberal
      April 5, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Disregard this post. Realize that PBO and the TOD team has a lot on his plate over the last Friday outrage. :)

• April 5, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I’m just not qualified to even comment on all of this, but that is a spectacular read and a spectacular contrast to what I’ve been reading today. LL, everyone, what’s your take on it?

• April 5, 2013 at 7:01 pm

We can argue about the method to shore up SS. But shoring up it does need.

I said in my last piece that the Right doesn’t actually want welfare to end, as it would remove a weapon it uses to divide people. The emo-Left, likewise, doesn’t want a fix to SS, as a perpetual threat gives it avenues of fundraising and speaking engagements.

The fact is that chained CPI isn’t a benefit cut, but a lowering a rate of increase. It’s STILL an increase, year after year. And there are elements in the budget which shield the most vulnerable from any adverse effects.

In the end, I think it’s both a genuinely made proposal and a colossal head fake. PBO could embrace the Ryan budget, and the GOP would suddenly become Great Society backers.

• April 5, 2013 at 7:06 pm

True, LL.

On another matter – regret the news of your wife losing her job. Impressed that both of you have the determination to transform disappointment into a better future, for both of you.

Yes We Can

• 126 japa21
          April 5, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Two things.
          When someone says it is not a cut to benefits, they are playing semantics. If I am told I am going to get X per month in two years and then find out I am actually going to get X-Y in two years, that is a cut.
          Secondly, people who are disturbed by this are not all emoprogs. I think people know by now that I am most definitely not an emoprog, but I am upset at this.
          Sargent is disingenuous in his article when he says “Which is worse, a Grand Bargain, or continued sequestration?” He paints it as an either or proposal. It doesn’t have to be. And if it had to be, and the Grand Bargain was something that had a negative effect on SS benefits, then I would rather have the sequestration.
          Simply put, if anything impacted SS benefits, no matter how slightly, the Dems would lose the Senate and be trounced in the House races. Wouldn’t matter if Republicans voted for it. The Dems would get blamed.
          If the sequestration continues, as painful as it is, and PBO comes out and says that the only way the GOP would do anything about it is by reducing SS benefits and he and the Democratic Party were not going to do that, either enough Republicans would come around or they would be absolutely trounced in 2014.

• April 5, 2013 at 7:30 pm

But chained CPI isn’t being promised X and getting X-Y. It’s instead of getting X+Y, you’re getting X+Z. Slowing the rate of growth is still growth, not a cut.

And, as I said below, the GOP won’t go for it anyway. THEN PBO will be able to come out and say “I offered a reasonable fix to SS, and the GOP said no because all they want to do is gut the program.” They won’t go for the increase in tax revenue, they won’t go for the strengthening of the safety net, they won’t go for anything that doesn’t voucherize Medicare and privatize SS. But the great unwashed have to be taken by the hand and shown every step of the way that no matter how “reasonable” Obama is, the GOP won’t budge in its brief to protect the 1%.

• April 5, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Damn you, japa. Debating you made me forget that I had to go pick up my car.

• April 5, 2013 at 6:58 pm

#TrustBarack He’s Earned It

• 130 dotster3
        April 5, 2013 at 7:14 pm

It doesn’t help that NBC Nightly News reported that President Obama’s budget proposals to cut social security and Medicare will ‘hit seniors hard’.

37. 131 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    April 5, 2013 at 6:44 pm
    April 5, 2013 at 6:49 pm

This just happened on NBC Nightly News. Hahaha….the poutragers are sad now.

• 135 dotster3
      April 5, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Actually, I saw it, and that was just a tiny tidbit at the end. The rest of the whole report was critical—-featuring people like Morning Mika and a Georgetown professor (and someone else who has already slipped my mind) saying that it was a bad idea to compliment the atty. gen., especially since she could be a future U.S. Atty. Gen. candidate or a Supreme Ct. nominee, that any time you compliment a woman on her looks, you diminish her professional accomplishments—an unbelievable assertion. Then she wrapped it up with the final balm, but she had already done her damage. Nutsy cuckoo, that the president is not allowed to compliment a woman’s appearance like all other normal people, especially in this setting, all done with fun and among friends.

39. April 5, 2013 at 6:54 pm

So I didn’t hear about this:

40. 137 kathryn kivett
    April 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm

LL, I am sorry to hear that your wife lost her job, you both are in my thoughts. Your positive attitude should be a lesson for all of us.

• April 5, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Thank you, Kathryn. I was feeling pretty down last night and this morning. And then something just clicked in me around lunchtime and I thought “screw this. We’ve been here before, we’ll get through it again.” Last time it ended up with me going to grad school and becoming a librarian. This time she’ll get more education and become an even better nurse. We’re luckier than many other people; we have to act like it.

41. April 5, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Now Zerlina Maxwell is going on All In With Chris to talk about AG Harris. Earlier she tweeted that she wasn’t trying to start any marches on Washington…but she’s going on TV to continue to talk about it.

Whatever.

• April 5, 2013 at 7:07 pm

It’s all they’ve got, gb – cheap yakityjakkityyak …..

• 141 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      April 5, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Ok, I can schedule bubble bath for 8:00 pm…

April 5, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Will not be watching Chris Hayes or Zerlina Maxwell. I have had it up to here with this entire subject, it is time to put it were it belong, in the past. It remind me of the big to do the media made about the President basketball shooting during the Easter Egg Roll.

• April 5, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Honestly, I am still pissed that she said in one of her tweets that “clearly, ppl need to be taught” about what is accpetable and what isnt. That just seemed incredibly arrogant, and I know she is a survivor of sexual assault but does that make her the ultimate authority?

• 152 99ts
      April 5, 2013 at 8:05 pm

When I first started working (1960s – gasp) I was in a field that was 95% men – as were many occupations in that time. All sorts of folks used to gush and say “you must be soooo smart” – I found myself a T-shirt – that said “I know I’m smart – tell me I’m beautiful”.

I’ve never forgotten it – nor have I forgotten the guys I worked with – who, like PBO – would compliment me on clothes, style – whatever – yet well knew that I was equal to the job that had to be done. It is a little sad that compliments and banter – that exist in every workplace – are the subject of media and spite – and all because there is a black man doing the talking.

42. April 5, 2013 at 7:10 pm
      April 5, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Talk about being flanked by bullcrap. Poor Chuck Schumer. Every time I see that image, I want to gag.

43. April 5, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Evening Funny….

44. April 5, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Another thing about what’s in PBO’s budget re chained CPI.

Japa made a point that it shouldn’t have been included in a budget deal. That SS has nothing to do with our debt/deficit problems.

Of course SS has nothing to do with the debt and deficit. But that’s just the point. The GOPers keep braying that SS and Medicare are killing our budget and mortgaging our children’s futures. So, PBO is calling their bluff. “Here’s a proposal that will save SS, make it secure, and cut the deficit. Your turn.” Knowing full well that the GOP doesn’t want to save SS or Medicare; they want to gut it and turn it into vouchers or privatize it. Josh Marshall called it a “dangerous game”. I think it’s bloody brilliant. Chained CPI was on the table before, and the GOP rejected it. PBO is offering a solution to the sequester which both saves money and strengthens the safety net long term, and the GOP will reject it again. After that, expect Hell to be unleashed by PBO and his surrogates in and out of Congress.

April 5, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I think everything the President does is “bloody brilliant,” until somebody proves the alternative. He’s 10 steps ahead of the best of the rest of us. If we follow the steely look in his eye, I think he’s had this one in his pocket – to make mincemeat out of the GOP’s claims – for like evah.

• 164 japa21
      April 5, 2013 at 7:38 pm

In a world in which the media did its job and reported truthfully, I might agree with you. That isn’t the case. Seriously, if PBO doesn’t get out there and say, “Okay, I gave them what they asked for and they refused it, SS is now off the table.” the Dems will get slaughtered in 2014. And it won’t be because emoprogs sat at home.

45. 165 99ts
    April 5, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Belated greetings – late evening, late morning down under – sun is shining but a nip in the air.

So I read the link to Pierce – who invites the likes of Scott Brown to deliver “the keynote address at a New Hampshire dinner commemorating the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s death.” (then I read to the end & saw Pierce wondered about that too)

Sad that they couldn’t find someone more appropriate – might have been better to ignore MLK and call it the “thinks he’s a good looking GOP guy dinner”

• 166 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      April 5, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Of course he’s qualified — his last name is BROWN and MLK had brown skin! See the correlation?

• 167 99ts
        April 5, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Oh my – I need more sleep – never even thought of that one Alycee – so now he can be the token brown man at every GOP event.

April 5, 2013 at 7:27 pm
    April 5, 2013 at 7:31 pm
  48. April 5, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Attn: UTA and all other Texans:

• 171 utaustinliberal
      April 5, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Thanks for this. Yes, it’s going to be a hard slug but the GOP is foolish to laugh at BGTX. The demographics are changing and Texas will not remain a staunch red state.

April 5, 2013 at 7:31 pm
    April 5, 2013 at 7:48 pm
  51. 181 prettyfoot58
    April 5, 2013 at 7:52 pm

AMEN!

52. 182 Nena20409
    April 5, 2013 at 7:54 pm

This album is 25 yrs today.

Tracy Chapman….it brought back lots of Good memories.

You have a Fast Car ;)

April 5, 2013 at 8:00 pm
    April 5, 2013 at 8:04 pm
  55. 186 prettyfoot58
    April 5, 2013 at 8:06 pm

As I watch …All in…..a thought comes to me…,I never thought that I would miss…Ed Shultz…..

56. April 5, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Attn Bill and Kathryn:

Follow link for more on NC…
    “Do yourself a favor and go set your Google news alert to North Carolina Republicans. They have completely unchecked power right now, and their ideas about how to use that power are, as the political scientists say, rather amazeballs.”

April 5, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Two points: First, I warned you all about Chris Hayes. Don’t say I didn’t.

Second, I’m trying to reason with folks about their latest freakout about PBO supposedly cutting SS. Now they’re talking about seniors hearing that PBO is going to cut SS. I asked how can these seniors be upset at PBO, when the very seniors voted in majority for Romney/Ryan (after hearing repeatedly about the Ryan plan)?!?!? They refuse to answer my question. The same DAMN seniors (e.g.,FLORIDA voted for Romney – 58% vs. only 42% for Obama). And that was after they heard about the abominable Ryan plan. So how can they claim to be upset if Obama is doing a bargain with the GOP to tweak SS?