Apr

This and That

Musicians Mavis Staples and Justin Timberlake listen to first lady Michelle Obama during a Memphis Soul music workshop in the State Dining Room of the White House, April 9

Musicians Samuel Moore, Mavis Staples and Justin Timberlake

Coming up:

2:0: Vice President Biden Speaks at a Law Enforcement Event at the White House

7:30: The President and First Lady host a concert celebrating Memphis Soul music as part of their “In Performance at the White House” series

Both on White House live

Link

Senator Tim Kaine: Nearly four months after the horrific Newtown shootings, the Senate is poised to do something that hasn’t been done for a long time in Congress – actually have a meaningful floor debate on reducing gun violence. Some senators and lobbyists are trying to make sure that no vote can take place. This should outrage the strong majority of American citizens who believe in reasonable gun rules to protect public safety.

Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky and 11 other senators have promised to filibuster any discussion of gun safety rules. Instead of just voting against restrictions they don’t like, they are trying to block any vote whatsoever….

…. There are those who believe the National Rifle Association and its allies are so powerful that no legislation will pass. But the power of the organization’s leadership is vastly overrated. I’ve run three statewide races in the NRA’s home state. Its leadership campaigned vigorously against me each time, spending nearly $800,000 against me in my 2012 Senate race. I won all my races anyway.

Full Op-ed here

Read here

Steve Benen: I’ve long believed we can learn a lot about politicians by how they conduct their campaigns. Candidates who are honest and above board before the election tend to be honest and above board after the votes are tallied. Those who choose to be dishonest and sleazy during the race are often less than forthright once in office.

And if this adage is true, we’re learning some unsettling things about Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell…

More here

Greg Sargent: …. The suggestion by the McConnell campaign that Mother Jones engaged in “Watergate-style tactics to bug campaign headquarters” is intriguing; it constitutes a suggestion that Mother Jones broke the law. To my knowledge, the McConnell campaign didn’t provide CNN with any evidence of this. (The Mother Jones story only says that a “recording” of the strategy session “was obtained by Mother Jones.”) It’s a serious charge, and if it were made without evidence by the campaign of the Senate minority leader — perhaps the most powerful Republican elected official the country — it’s a big deal.

More here

The People’s View: How Obama is Vastly Expanding the Social Safety Net

Since late last week, we have been fed a steady diet of grandma on catfood and the eeeebil Obama that is trying to make that happen. As usual, focusing on the method of inflation adjustment (that isn’t simply applicable to Social Security but all of government), our venerable Leftist talking heads are missing the forest for the trees. Well, more like they’re missing the forest for the branches. While people are howling at a revised method of calculating inflation, they are completely missing broader perspective on how this president is devising a more expansive social safety net.

So let’s get some perspective. This president has expanded the social safety net in more broadly than anyone since the passage of Social Security – through health care reform, through expanding children’s health insurance, through student aid expansion and through Medicare reforms. Let’s talk about those.

More here

Thanks Donna

NYT: David Axelrod, the political strategist behind the rise of President Obama, has signed with Penguin Press to write a memoir, the publisher said Tuesday morning. Release is slated for fall 2014.

More here

Yikes:

Independent (UK): Lady Thatcher’s death could propel The Wizard Of Oz track “Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead” to the top of the charts.

Those who saw her death as a cause for celebration have prompted a download surge for the track.

Within 24 hours of the former Prime Minister’s death, the song had risen to number 9 in the iTunes best-sellers chart. It reached number 2 on the Amazon singles download chart.

More here

144 Responses to “This and That”

April 9, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Missed! Congrats, CarolMae!

April 9, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Actually I only just popped in with almost perfect timing (so there, Chips C)! I got called to work this morning and am on lunch – close enough to come home briefly.

April 9, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Oh hi, Japa. Missed you first time through. Hope your day is going well and you are feeling much, much better.

• April 9, 2013 at 1:43 pm

*****Almost*****

:roll:

Afternoon VC!!!

April 9, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Step by step, doncha know? :lol: :lol: This time ‘almost’ next time I’ll be stepping ON your heel. Might be wise to reinforce them heels! Just saying (and dreaming).

Afternoon, CC, hope all is going well (in my absence). :grin:

• April 9, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Thanks vc. I don’t have time to post much.

2. April 9, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Afternoon Chips, TOD. Congrats Carol

3. 22 Linda
    April 9, 2013 at 1:52 pm

WASHINGTON — The Senate has confirmed New Jersey judge Patty Shwartz to serve on the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Shwartz was confirmed by a vote of 64-34. Based in Philadelphia, the 3rd Circuit handles cases from Delaware, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

The Senate’s confirmation came after Shwartz’s nomination was at first held up by Sen. Robert Menendez.

The New Jersey Democrat initially said he wasn’t satisfied by Shwartz’s answers to several legal questions. After he met with Shwartz, Menendez lifted his hold and said he was satisfied with her answers.

Shwartz is currently a magistrate judge for U.S. District Court for the district of New Jersey and an adjunct law professor. She previously worked in the U.S. attorney’s office in New Jersey.

Is this the vote that was cancelled yesterday so McCLOWNell could go to the B-Ball game in Atlanta ?

April 9, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Congrats Carolmae on #1! I’m claiming first for next thread because my head might just be turned when Chips or Fab Fiver posts the next thread.

5. 26 vitaminlover
    April 9, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Sooooo, Chips, am I sensing that you didn’t care much for Ms. Thatcher?

April 9, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Good afternoon, Chips and TODville!

7. April 9, 2013 at 2:06 pm

What else is going on in D.C. ?

8. 39 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    April 9, 2013 at 2:17 pm

VP & AG event has started. http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

9. 40 Linda
    April 9, 2013 at 2:31 pm

CYPRESS, Texas — Officials say about a dozen people have been wounded in a stabbing attack at Houston-area college campus.

Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department spokesman Robert Rasa says 12 people were taken to area hospitals after the Tuesday attack on the Lone Star community college system’s campus in Cypress. The Harris County Sheriff’s department confirmed at least 11 people wounded and that authorities have one suspect in custody.

Both agencies say at least four of those injured were LifeFlighted in critical condition. Rasa says several patients refused treatment at the scene and all the wounds were consistent with stabbing.

• 41 japa21
      April 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Being the conspiracy theorist I am, probably set up by some gun nut to show that better gun control won’t stop mass attacks.

• 42 57andfemale
        April 9, 2013 at 2:38 pm

If you’re a conspiracy theorist then so am I. After my initial shock at this heinous attack, I thought exactly the same thing.

• April 9, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Well, you know what’s next: We should all carry swords.

• 44 57andfemale
            April 9, 2013 at 3:20 pm

But LL, if they’d all had assault rifles, no one would have gotten hurt. Because nothing could possible go wrong in that scenario, right?

• 45 jackiegrumbacher
            April 9, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Yes, and shields and helmets with visors. We mustn’t inhibit anyone’s right to freely attack anyone they want with their weapon of choice, so, of course, the only option is to walk around in a cocoon armed to the teeth.

• 46 theo67
        April 9, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I had the exact same thought.

• 47 utaustinliberal
      April 9, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Horrific.

April 9, 2013 at 2:32 pm

• 49 jackiegrumbacher
      April 9, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Can’t think of a better use of tax dollars than this, Hf. Some form of insanity is clearly afoot in this land. I’d also love to see a massive extension of courses in Alternatives to Violence. My MIL used to teach this course at the state prison and she said it made a real difference in diffusing fights among prisoners.

11. 50 57andfemale
    April 9, 2013 at 2:36 pm

My Kasper’s entire body looks like Bo’s paws!

12. April 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I know we’re not supposed to speak ill of the dead. But when the dead do grievous ill in their lives, that rule goes out the door.

I was so gratified watching Euronews last night as they showed people all over the UK out in the streets celebrating Thatcher’s passing. I myself will have a celebratory toast when Cheney kicks the bucket.

13. 55 Linda
    April 9, 2013 at 2:43 pm

@DanaBashCNN

Democratic leader @SenatorReid just announced Thursday vote to start debate on guns. Unclear of 60 votes there to break filibuster.

14. April 9, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Way Way O/T

====

“Cover your ears: Cicada brood to return after 17-year absence”

It’s not a welcomed reunion, but after 17 years the cicadas are set to return to the East Coast.

Insect experts say that starting in mid April to late May, residents from North Carolina to New England will witness the emergence of billions upon billions of the singing insects.

While cicadas are harmless to humans and trees, the mating call can be a real nuisance — as loud as a lawnmower or a jet engine, experts said. But it only lasts a month. The bugs mate, lay eggs and die, and in between, they try to stay alive.

============

This must be a different strain of cicadas. I distinctly remember visiting the DC/VA area in 2004 and having to deal with them and how annoying they were. That has NOT been 17 years ago.

How do those of you who live there deal with them?

• 57 japa21
      April 9, 2013 at 2:51 pm

They come out here in Chicago as well. I don’t know when the next brood is due, but they are a real nuisance. These are different than the normal yearly cicadas. These tend to be bigger and much louder. In some areas they are so abundant you can’t walk down the sidewalk without crunching a bunch of them.

15. April 9, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Breaking: @KellyO If Joe Manchin and Toomey don’t come to a deal today, Harry Ried will file cloture tonight w/ or without their support and set the Senate clock where a vote on gun legislation may happen as early Thursday.

VP Joe Biden at event currently just said this …….” In the 113 days since SHES shooting 3,300 gun deaths have happened…..and 14 GOP senators are planing to prevent even a debate?….all we want is a Yae or Nay.

16. 60 Jessica
    April 9, 2013 at 2:50 pm

So after doing some reading on Chained CPI and having it explained in plain terms and with visuals (lol) I’m completely baffled that people like NOW and AARP are losing their minds over it. It seems pretty common sense to me. Removing the SS cap isn’t going to happen with this Congress and possibly the next Congress so why should we keep waiting and waiting for that to happen. If we continue on this path SS will have a 25% reduction in benefits or another payroll tax increase. Why should us millennials bear the brunt of another payroll tax increase?

• 61 Linda
      April 9, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Chained CPI will cost me only $2.40 a month.

• 62 Jessica
        April 9, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Social Security is not a main concern for me AT ALL because I am a millennial and won’t receive SS but come 2033 I refuse to accept another payroll tax increase. So whether there is a 25% reduction or chained CPI it doesn’t really matter to me. I hope the post baby boomers and Reagnites can decide which one they want?

• 63 jackiegrumbacher
          April 9, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Jessica–There’s no earthly reason why SS can’t be around when you retire, especially if we have a reasonable immigration policy and new immigrants swell the working population. If we ever get a decent Congress (because people your age make it happen) we can raise the cap on SS and that will ensure it’s survival pretty much forever. Pretty soon millennials will start running for office and push the old guard out of the way. That, I think, is the best hope we have for the future of this country.

• 64 Jessica
        April 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Or maybe we should wait until 2030 and then the SS cap will be removed because millennials will demand that the rich pay their fair share. I can’t wait until 2020 when my generation has jobs and money and kids. We will finally have progressive change in this country.

• 65 Linda
          April 9, 2013 at 3:36 pm

When I was 16 years old and got my first job, my grandfather said to me, always ” pay yourself first. ” He recommended 20% of any earnings be saved.

I could not always do it, but what I was able to do allowed me early retirement. I taught that to my children and they are trying hard to do it too.

• 66 jackiegrumbacher
      April 9, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Jessica, every time an organization like this can gin up outrage, it increases their membership and enables their fundraising. I used to work for a trade association and the goal was always to stir people up. It makes your members think they’re getting something for their money; it increases the sales of your products and causes a jump in member numbers. And the staff that enables this jump in activity is usually rewarded with something. It’s all calculated and very phony.

17. 67 canadabarb4obama
    April 9, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I love “all things Bo” and that picture of his paws just sent me to the Universe of awwwwwwww!

18. 68 japa21
    April 9, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Another great poece by Poerce on what ails thi ountry. And it is not PBO.

Final paragraph sums it up, but read the whole thing. To quote Pogo: “We have met the enemy and they are us.”

This is not cynicism. Honest to god, it’s not. Well, some of it is, but it’s more what I believe to be a realistic appraisal of what happens when, for private purposes, the citizens of a self-governing political commonwealth are estranged from the process of creating it. This process predates Barack Obama by several decades and it is now a permanent feature of our politics that will long outlast him. Nothing is permanent. The scoreboard is resetting to zero again, and the poor man should have run for president of a better country than this.

Read more: The End Of Illusions – Esquire http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/The_End_Of_A_President's_Illusions#ixzz2Pzgirdss

• 69 japa21
      April 9, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I really wish there was an edit button. That first line was pathetic.

• April 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Hey, in the first chapter of my novel, I spelled “dealt” as “dealth”. Thankfully, I caught it before sending it off to a couple of magazines.

• 71 japa21
        April 9, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I thought dealth was the superlative past tense of dealt. Either that or the Biblical or Shakespearian counterpart. “He hath dealth the mortal bloweth.”

19. 72 japa21
    April 9, 2013 at 3:09 pm

20. 73 canadabarb4obama
    April 9, 2013 at 3:10 pm

just found this on facebook; thought it might be useful for TODers:

Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America
    URGENT CALL TO ACTION: These senators have indicated they support a vote on gun safety legislation. Please call to thank them, and urge them to vote for a universal background check bill with record-keeping, as well as the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act, S. 649, and the Assault Weapons Ban Amendment.

GA Sen. Isakson: 202-224-3643
    GA. Sen. Chambliss: 202-224-3521
    PA Sen. Toomey: 202-224-4254
    NC Sen. Hagan: 202-224-6342
    VA Sen. Warner 202-224-2023

Sample script: “I’m a constituent, a mom and I vote. I support common sense gun laws and expect the Senator to vote for the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act, S.649, and the Assault Weapons Ban Amendment. Please record my views so that the Senator knows I won’t tolerate eight children a day dying of gun violence without strong action by Congress. Thank you.”

• 74 donna dem 4 obama
      April 9, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Great! Thanks Barb!

• 75 57andfemale
      April 9, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I will be calling my poor excuse for a senator, Mark Kirk.

I think the Republican legislators in blue states have to be hit hard on this.

Mark Kirk (Coward-IL): 202-224-2854

• 76 CindyH
      April 9, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I just tried calling Burr and Hagan and got connection errors for each – I will keep trying and will contact their local offices as well.

• 77 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      April 9, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I’ve been calling Toomey all day — voice mail; I’ve left a detailed msg each time and told them I was going to keep calling back. Next up, I’ll send a fax.

• 78 jackiegrumbacher
        April 9, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Alycee, I did get through to Toomey’s DC office. The person on the line was very friendly. I told her that 88 percent of Pennsylvanians supported background checks and it was rare that a senator could satisfy that many people with one vote. While I despise Pat Toomey to the core of my being, I told her that if he voted for background checks,the people of PA would be behind him. [Of course I did not mention that hell would freeze over before I would vote for this hideous man.]

21. 79 donna dem 4 obama
    April 9, 2013 at 3:12 pm

22. April 9, 2013 at 3:21 pm

23. 81 Linda
    April 9, 2013 at 3:28 pm

The draft gun legislation has already been converted to legislative language, but here it is. It makes my head spin.

April 9, 2013 at 3:39 pm

April 9, 2013 at 3:40 pm

26. 85 donna dem 4 obama
    April 9, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Spoke to Mark Kirk’s office. Got right through….All you folks from Illinois please call his office and press 3 to speak with his aide. He said the Senator is waiting to see what exactly is in the bill (what the hell do these people do all day up on the hill). I bit my tongue and said well how about expanding background checks for gun buyers and cracking down on people who purchase firearms for those who are not entitled to own them? He said as long as it doesn’t infringe on anyone’s second amendment rights. He essentially gave me a non-answer answer. Truly pathetic..Everyone please call these Senators.

• 86 Linda
      April 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Waiting to see what is in the bill ? The bill is on line and has been there since March 23rd.

I just posted the link….Why doesn’t he know this ?

• 87 donna dem 4 obama
        April 9, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I guess they are afraid that Reid is going to add something to it that’s gonna take away their guns. I don’t know! The folks on that side of the aisle are NUTS!!!!!!!!!!

• 88 jackiegrumbacher
          April 9, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Donna, my ex-congressman confessed that he never read a bill. He got the “sense” of the bill from people around him and voted for it based on what his colleagues said. I had to truly hold my tongue from calling him an incompetent idiot, but I do think this is the general way of things in some Hill offices. Why they have staffs who are supposed to be policy advisers is a mystery to me.

• 89 57andfemale
      April 9, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I sent an email. It’s impossible for me to call from work. Thanks for calling.

Unless there is a groundswell of calls, letters and emails, Kirk will toe the Republican line. Read Charlie Pierce’s devastating assessment this morning. When they know that the vast majority of Americans don’t vote, and those that do have a solid, RELIABLE block of Republican voters, they can thumb their noses at any damn poll they please, much less governance in the public interest.

It starts very simply: we all have two Senators and one Congressional representative (in addition to our state reps of course). Write, call, email. These actions really matter.

27. April 9, 2013 at 3:45 pm

28. 103 Jovie
    April 9, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Is this true- that the President is doing s fundraiser in NYC and some donors said they want to see some returns on their investment of 2012 first?
    Is this how Wealthy democrats think?
    Hello? Get him a Congress he can work with.
    Stupid is as stupid does. :(

• 104 57andfemale
      April 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm

That’s how all wealthy donors think, unfortunately.

• 105 Jessica
      April 9, 2013 at 4:11 pm

He doesn’t have to fundraise for people in Congress, he already got re-elected. Some people are so pathetic with their thought process. If I was PBO I would throw up the deuces and say “I gotta job, good luck keeping yours!”

April 9, 2013 at 4:42 pm

If you got that info from the media, it’s bullcrap and probably not true. Howard Fineman’s sources?

29. April 9, 2013 at 4:00 pm

30. April 9, 2013 at 4:05 pm

31. April 9, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Some great news on the climate change/environmental front…..

32. April 9, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Some interesting data on voting line discrepancies

• 111 donna dem 4 obama
      April 9, 2013 at 4:34 pm

It shouldn’t take a rocket scientist to tell us that people of color mostly live in urban areas. Therefore, there should be more polling stations and poll workers to accommodate the masses. There aren’t, so we end up taking a longer time to vote. I feel that urban areas are intentionally understaffed so that people will get frustrated and leave. The opposition will do whatever they think will suppress the vote. Be it voter ID cards, voter intimidation or outrageously long lines. It’s all a modern day poll tax IMO.

33. 113 Jovie
    April 9, 2013 at 4:16 pm

LOL! The FBI bugged McConells HQs. If anybody is corrupt in DC, it’s the Turtle man.
    That man has several millions in the Cayman Islands, put there by lobbyists, for his votes.
    What a Maroon. :)

• 114 Linda
      April 9, 2013 at 4:24 pm

The FBI ? For real ?

• 115 57andfemale
        April 9, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I read that McConnell’s campaign was ‘working with the FBI’ to find out who recorded their nasty shenanigans. Maybe Jovie knows more than I do, but that’s what I just read.

• 116 donna dem 4 obama
          April 9, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Update 4/Mother Jones Statement: We are still waiting for Sen. Mitch McConnell to comment on the substance of the story. Before posting this article, we contacted his Senate office and his campaign office—in particular, his campaign manager, Jesse Benton—and no one responded. As the story makes clear, we were recently provided the tape by a source who wished to remain anonymous. We were not involved in the making of the tape, but we published a story on the tape due to its obvious newsworthiness. It is our understanding that the tape was not the product of a Watergate-style bugging operation. We cannot comment beyond that.

Correction: The text has been updated to reflect that Benton is Ron Paul’s grandson by marriage only—he married Ron Paul’s granddaughter.

• April 9, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Randi Rhodes was just talking about that. Based on what she was saying, McConnell says that everyone that was in the meeting regarding Ashley Judd were friendlies. Therefore, the only way that the meeting could have been taped was if his office was bugged. Supposedly, the FBI is investigating this claim that the office was bugged.

So is it possible that it was actually the FBI that bugged his office?

34. April 9, 2013 at 4:23 pm

35. 121 japa21
    April 9, 2013 at 4:27 pm

For years the GOP has won elections purely on the lie that Democtrats want to come and take away every gun, including hunting rifles. And they always said any legislation was just the first step to that. If they actually vote for anything, even universal background checks, they would, in effect, be admitting they lied.

• 122 japa21
      April 9, 2013 at 4:32 pm

36. 123 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    April 9, 2013 at 4:29 pm

• 124 Jovie
      April 9, 2013 at 4:37 pm

So, you all hate Quinn in Illionois? He is better than Rick Scott. Trust me, you guys from Illinois ate lucky.

• 125 japa21
        April 9, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I like Quinn. He is dealing with a real mess and the largest newspaper in the state, the Tribune has been after him for quite a while.

37. 126 57andfemale
    April 9, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Oh, Lord – McConnell’s campaign office is ‘working with the FBI’ to find out how his nasty little campaign shenanigans got recorded. Blaming Mother Jones.

38. 127 Jovie
    April 9, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Axe can’t wait to recount ‘amazing ride’
    By DONOVAN SLACK | 4/9/13 1:41 PM EDT
    Former top Obama adviser David Axelrod tweets about his new book deal:

“It’s been an amazing ride. Looking forward to sharing my story in upcoming book for @penguinpress, announced today.”

In the memoir, Axelrod plans to write about his 20-year friendship with the president and his years in the White House. POLITICO’s Katie Glueck has more on the home page.

39. April 9, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Say what you want about Harry Reid he knows the Senate better than any Maj. leader in a long time. 9 GOPers will not filibuster.

40. 130 japa21
    April 9, 2013 at 4:36 pm

41. 132 Ladyhawke
    April 9, 2013 at 4:50 pm

THIS IS NO WAY TO RUN A DEMOCRACY.

Wonkbook: Gun control shows how Washington really works

By Ezra Klein

—————————————-

“If our democracy’s working the way it’s supposed to,” President Obama said in West Hartford, CT, “and 90 percent of the American people agree on something, in the wake of a tragedy, you’d think this would not be a heavy lift.”
    Gun control has emerged as an unusually clarifying test case for how Congress really works. On one side of the ledger is most everything that we think moves Congress: Public opinion, a national tragedy, the president’s bully pulpit, elite opinion. On the other side is everything we wish didn’t move Congress: a powerful but increasingly controversial interest group and, arguably, the minority’s natural incentive to foil the majority’s agenda.

Guess which side is winning?

—————————————-

42. 133 57andfemale
    April 9, 2013 at 4:59 pm

They are so effing brave:

April 9, 2013 at 5:13 pm

This is from Roger Ebert’s wife.

44. 137 Linda
    April 9, 2013 at 5:16 pm

WASHINGTON — Even White House chefs could be feeling the pain of government budget cuts.

Assistant chef Sam Kass, who cooks dinner for President Barack Obama several nights a week, said Tuesday that he will be furloughed as part of across-the-board budget cuts that went into effect in March. Kass, who is the president’s senior nutrition policy adviser, made the comments in an interview with food reporters at the White House.

The White House has said 480 workers on the budget staff may have to take days without pay but hasn’t said whether notices have gone out to other Obama aides.

Kass also plants the White House garden and is the director of first lady Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” campaign to combat childhood obesity. He said that effort won’t be affected.

Boo…Hiss..

45. 138 donna dem 4 obama
    April 9, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Our CollegeKay is reporting that…

• April 9, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Unbelievable! Freedom of speech, huh?

• 140 nathkatun7
      April 9, 2013 at 7:56 pm

And this is a man who is supposedly a champion of “Freedom” and “Liberty” ? I am sorry to say but the Howard University Staff should not have allowed Rand Paul to dictate to students which issues they allowed to question him on? Paul is just a junior Senator from Kentucky; he is not the King/Emperor of the United Sates. I hope and pray that Howard University students will defy the staff and ask the Libertarian Dictator from Kentucky why he is leading a filibuster in the U.S. Senate to stop discussion and voting on sensible gun safety laws.

• 143 nathkatun7
      April 9, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I hope people from Oklahoma won’t come down hard on me, but I just can’t comprehend how sane and rational people could have voted for this man, Inhofe, to be their representative in the Senate! He is not only evil (yes I said evil) but he is also one of the dumbest Senators in the history of this country. This is sad because Oklahoma, in the 60’s and 70’s, elected rational people to Congress. I still remember Sen. Fred Harris who was one of the progressive members of the Senate. And even Senator David Boren, who was undoubtedly a conservative, was a very rational person.

46. 144 anniebella
    April 9, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Always knew Mitch McConnell was a snake. He had the nerve to stand up there with his little news conference and talk about what some liberal paper said about his wife. Hay Mitch can I tell you what conservative radio, tv, paper, blog has said about President Obama’s wife and not one of you sorry ass snake in the grass stood up to condemn them. Their has been Republican politicians, judges who have made disrespectful comments and were was Boehner, McConnell, Canter, McCain, the leader of the GOP?