Apr

Rise and Shine

President Obama talks on the phone with Nicole Hockley and families of the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Newtown, Conn., in the Oval Office, April 11 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Today:

12:0: Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney

2:05: The President presents the Commander-in-Chief Trophy to the United States Naval Academy football team

NBC: For former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, gun violence is personal — so she’s going to begin her own in-person push for a new compromise to expand background checks for gun sales when she returns to Capitol Hill next week, NBC News has learned.

And the gun safety group she founded with husband, Mark Kelly, will begin making robocalls Thursday in Pennsylvania and West Virginia, looking to support the two senators who crafted the deal — an attempt to demonstrate that the organization is committed to challenging the gun lobby’s political infrastructure.

More here

Greg Sargent: What will John Boehner say to Gabrielle Giffords?

This has the potential to create a bit of an awkward moment for Speaker John Boehner, as he weighs whether to allow a House vote on whatever gun legislation clears the Senate.

In a few days, on April 16th, Boehner and Nancy Pelosi will be presiding over a ceremony dedicating the creation of the Gabriel Zimmerman Meeting Room in the U.S. Capitol, according to an invitation to the event that’s making the rounds. Zimmerman was the community outreach director to Giffords when he was killed in the January 2011 shooting in Arizona that almost claimed Giffords’ life.

Giffords will be attending the event….

More here

32013-background-checks-fact-graphic-20130321195215

NYT: The Rugged Road for Gun Control

As families of the victims of the Newtown, Conn., massacre watched from the Senate gallery on Thursday, 68 senators, including 16 Republicans, voted to break a conservative filibuster to allow debate to begin on a bill that would expand background checks for most gun sales.

That a procedural vote was considered a breakthrough demonstrated how hard it has been to get even the most fundamental, common-sense reform of the nation’s inadequate gun laws past the gun lobby.

More here

The People’s View: Surprise! President’s Budget Has Way More New Revenue Than New Cuts

Bet you haven’t heard that one in the national media yet – certainly not on the Left’s media world still in a fit over Chained CPI. I bet here’s what you’ve heard: Obama’s revenue raisers are not enough, his spending cuts are too much, and it’s not ‘balanced’ in terms of revenues and cuts. What you’re hearing is that the president is proposing $1 trillion in cuts! Here’s what they’re not telling you: the president is merely replacing the sequester….

More here

Greg Sargent: The GOP’s policy nihilism

Mark April 11th, 2013, down on your calendars as the day that the GOP’s fiscal ruse was finally unmasked with total clarity: Republicans don’t actually want entitlement cuts. Or, to put it another way, they say they want entitlement cuts, but they want Dems to own them.

A few of us have been pointing this out for some time, but now it’s breaking through to the neutral press, thanks to the ongoing shenanigans between John Boehner and NRCC chair Greg Walden….

More here

ThinkProgress: In the first quarter of 2013, states have proposed 694 provisions related to a woman’s body, how she gets pregnant, or how she chooses to end that pregnancy.

A new report released on Thursday by the Guttmacher Institute takes a comprehensive look at how the War on Women has continued past the election cycle and into 2013. It shows that the new legislatures across the country are still very much dedicated to restricting sex education, availability of medication, and abortion access for women. Indeed, 47 percent of the 694 provisions were directly related to abortion….

More here

President Obama waits for a heavy rain to pass before crossing West Executive Avenue from the Eisenhower Executive Office Building to the West Wing of the White House, March 12 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Lots more new photos here

MooooOOOOooorning!

151 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

April 12, 2013 at 9:36 am

GM folks.

2. 23 japa21
    April 12, 2013 at 9:37 am

April 12, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I know that lowlife McTurtle didn’t say that, we have seen since this POTUS have been in office how low McConnell and his right will go.

April 12, 2013 at 9:38 am

Rats! She sneaked in while I was gabbing! :roll:

Morning, Japa, Congrats, Japa! I see it pays not to be as chatty as I. :lol: :lol:

4. 31 Sweet peg
    April 12, 2013 at 9:39 am

Morning everyone!

5. April 12, 2013 at 9:41 am

hi what a lovely day to be in TOD family

April 12, 2013 at 9:41 am

Okay, I’m really outta here this time! smh – I can’t believe Chips got by me; must me the lack of sleep that slowed my reflexes.

• 34 LDS
      April 12, 2013 at 9:50 am

VC, or reflexes slowed your lack of sleep……either way you just amaze me. When do you sleep?

April 12, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I usually do 1-3 hour segments at night, LDS :grin: For some reason I can’t sleep through the night without waking up periodically and I can’t sleep during the day because it’s generally too bright.

April 12, 2013 at 9:43 am

26 individuals brutally murdered, Hadiya Pendleton brutally murdered, others brutally murdered everyday and yet some still opposed a vote to begin debate on expanding background checks.

A conscience is apparently a difficult thing to find these days.

8. 37 LDS
    April 12, 2013 at 9:44 am

Rising and still Shining!
    Even though left in the dust on the last post. I sure know how to get a new post up, that’s for sure!
    Good morning Chips and TOD family!

April 12, 2013 at 9:45 am

10. 39 99ts
    April 12, 2013 at 9:47 am

GM everyone – getting wet and cold in my world (well anything under about 70F is cold where I live) for the weekend.

And speaking of Guns as Mark Kelly was – every member of congress should take note of Gabby Giffords – because it could have been any one of them who was attacked by someone who believed the rantings of some on the right.

April 12, 2013 at 9:54 am

Morning,99…well, when I wrote to Sen. Flake (used to be Rep. Flake) I asked him if he could look Gabby Giffords in the eyes and tell her that she wasn’t important enough. They served together in the House. Basically, I double dog dared him. He’s not done hearing from me!

• 41 99ts
        April 12, 2013 at 10:30 am

He certainly needs reminding – and as for those saying their guns are more important than 20 children & their teachers – the heart does indeed weep. I love that they ban guns from anywhere near the congress and their offices yet think it fine to allow teachers to be armed in a schoolroom.

April 12, 2013 at 10:50 am

You and I are SOOOOOOO on the same page! I’ll be sure to remind them of that when I call! I also wonder about those that scream they need guns for “protection”….so who, exactly, was this madman “protecting” himself against when he slaughtered innocent children and teachers? As many times as I’ve read about people getting gunned down, NONE OF THEM HAVE BEEN A THREAT TO THOSE WITH THE WEAPON!!

• 43 57andfemale
      April 12, 2013 at 10:14 am

It’s 37 degrees in Chicago this morning, damp and cold. We’re all going nuts.

11. 48 LDS
    April 12, 2013 at 9:48 am

Congratz Japa!
    V.C. What are you doing up? How do you do it?

April 12, 2013 at 10:01 am

I’m sure that apology will be swift and forthcoming………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….yeah, right.

April 12, 2013 at 9:50 am

April 12, 2013 at 9:53 am

A police officer who reportedly wrote on Twitter that he hoped Baroness Thatcher’s death was “painful and degrading” has resigned.

Sgt Jeremy Scott of the Metropolitan Police is understood to have published a number of offensive messages since the former prime minister’s death.

Sgt Scott is said to have claimed her death was “87 years too late” and added that the world was a “better place”.

The Met described the comments as “completely unacceptable”.

14. 54 GGAIL
    April 12, 2013 at 9:55 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks!!!
    Friday`s Good :-)
    Congrats japa on First!

15. April 12, 2013 at 9:57 am

Goooood moorrnnninngg, Chipstar and TODville. Lots of tweetable stuff. Thank you for making my job that much easier!

16. April 12, 2013 at 9:58 am

DON’T TOUCH PRESIDENT OBAMA’S STUFF:

April 12, 2013 at 9:59 am

“What happened at the beginning of the year was a genuine surprise in terms of how well the economy held up,” Kasman, the firm’s New York-based chief economist, said in an April 5 conference call.
    Gross domestic product probably climbed at a 3 percent annualized rate from January through March, according to the median forecast in a Bloomberg survey of 69 economists from April 5 to April 9. That’s up from the 2 percent gain projected last month and 1.6 percent in December.
    Consumers overcame a 2 percentage-point increase in the payroll tax and higher gasoline prices to spend at the fastest pace in two years, the survey shows. The pickup, combined with sustained gains in housing and business investment, will help propel the expansion through the worst of the automatic government cuts that are projected to take effect this quarter.
    “We are surprised that there wasn’t a bigger and more immediate hit to spending” by consumers, said Reinhart. “There is an underlying momentum in spending, which means that sequestration and the tax increase will only lead to a momentary pause.”

I’m not going to agree with that last comment…but all in all, good news

April 12, 2013 at 10:05 am

Pete Souza time! :D

April 12, 2013 at 10:08 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone, and congrats Japa on 3! :)

April 12, 2013 at 10:08 am

Only part of the reason this time is different.

When a lobbyist for families of Newtown shooting victims called the office of Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) to set up a meeting, the first response was a standard D.C. offer. They could get a meeting with her staff, and a quick and simple “hello” from Collins herself, they were told.
    The families’ answer: not good enough. According to their lobbyists, the families have a rule against staff-only meetings: They won’t do them. They insist on sitting down with the senators themselves.

That rule is just one of the ways that the Newtown families, political novices just a few months ago, are proving to be savvy, effective advocates as they promote the gun legislation that has finally begun to move through the Senate. The families are well-educated, and many are well-off. They have been polished and sharp on TV. They’re mostly non-political, but quite accomplished in their own fields. With access to money and media, they’re using persistence, visibility — and, most all, their unique moral authority — to help prod Senate action. They also have their own lobbyists — several of them, in fact.

They don’t try to sound like wonks or pundits or operatives. They just tell their heart-breaking stories, weaving in a demand for action that is respectful but forceful. As a result, senators respond to them as bereaved parents, not advocates.
    “These are smart, articulate people, who don’t have a scintilla of Washington about them,” said Matt Bennett of the centrist Democratic group Third Way, which has been helping the families navigate D.C. “But they virtually cannot be denied a meeting. There are not many groups of people that can get a meeting with any senator they want, whenever they want.”
    What started as a support group is now a lobbying force unlike any other to descend on Capitol Hill. The family members typically begin their pitch to senators softly, telling the story of the child that they lost. They gently say they could not have imagined themselves in this position, but they’re doing it to honor the memory of their children. They say they’re supporters of the Second Amendment, and just want to have a conversation.

• 88 amk for obama
      April 12, 2013 at 10:31 am

I read that piece today via twitter. Not bad for a mike allen piece.

The loony left should try their tactics. These people lost something very dear them in real life but when exposed to the reality of the DC politics (as practiced by the rethugs), compromised and got something done instead yelling from the sides over imaginary threats to their lives a la the teabaggers.

• April 12, 2013 at 10:42 am

Remember during the height of the Iraq war in 2004 & 2005 when we were losing hundreds of soldiers a day and the cost was ballooning, the Democrats wanted a discussion to end the war and the GOP said we needed to continue the war to honor those that died? When

• 90 0388jojothecat
        April 12, 2013 at 10:48 am

Oops…I hit the send button before I was done.

When these parents want to honor their children by making sure no other child or parent has the same experience these GOP operatives don’t care. I am so glad that the parents are using political savvy to get face time with these operatives (I refuse to call them representatives or senators) to make them see their point of view and the American people support them.

21. 91 japa21
    April 12, 2013 at 10:13 am

Chips, thanks for the reminder in the post.

22. April 12, 2013 at 10:18 am

Sweet!

April 12, 2013 at 10:20 am

This easy access to guns is dangerous.

• 98 Linda
      April 12, 2013 at 10:44 am

but…but…. the right says ALL internet sales have to be delivered to registered shops and picked up there and the person has to go through a background check.

oops..another lie ?

• 99 Bill
      April 12, 2013 at 10:45 am

Does anyone know what an “unregistered gun” is? I did not think guns per se were registered, but the issue is background checks of the purchaser.

• 100 Linda
        April 12, 2013 at 10:50 am

Some States actually do have gun registrations. New York is one I know for sure does.

Also , if the owner is deceased there is only a 1 year opening to sell or transfer to a new owner or they confiscate them from the family

April 12, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Maybe the Pastor Warren will join us on the gun control fight.

April 12, 2013 at 10:35 am

Chips, your boss is like this ?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• April 12, 2013 at 10:42 am

That’s him!!!! :lol: That’s a HOOT!!!!

• 105 miss pat
        April 12, 2013 at 11:30 am

Good morning folks. I want to laugh at this picture but I can’t. In December 1981 my landlady called my office and told my boss that I was in the hospital. She told her to tell me to get myself to work by noon that day or I’d be fired. Long story short, I am alive and kicking, she got a stroke and died while I was out recuperating. Eight long months it took me to get back on my feet. I am blessed.

25. 106 japa21
    April 12, 2013 at 10:38 am

• 107 japa21
      April 12, 2013 at 10:42 am

Sorry for the duplicate, meant to do this one:

April 12, 2013 at 10:43 am

April 12, 2013 at 10:45 am

28. 112 dotster3
    April 12, 2013 at 10:47 am

Why in the h am I getting an email from deadbeat dad loserman, Joe Walsh, asking me to attend his tea party tax day protest in Chgo? Using my email address from my multiple contacts about his outrageous behavior when he embarrassingly represented my district, I guess. I unsubscribed real fast. I cannot stand that goofball, crazy scum, pardon my French.

• April 12, 2013 at 10:52 am

Dotster, do you not like him? :lol: We should all go along, just to, you know, add to the atmosphere.

• 114 japa21
      April 12, 2013 at 11:24 am

I got one too. I suspect it is due to the fact that I once emailed his office complaining about being reopresented by an idiot. This is his way of getting back at me.

29. 115 Linda
    April 12, 2013 at 10:47 am

Why do Republicans believe more

abortion laws will stop abortions but

more gun laws won’t stop gun violence?

30. April 12, 2013 at 10:48 am

BBC announces they won’t play ‘Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead’ after all – probably wise :???:

April 12, 2013 at 10:48 am

April 12, 2013 at 10:53 am

Off to work! Check back at lunch :) Have a great day everyone…..

33. April 12, 2013 at 11:18 am

Good Morning everyone, have a magnificent day :-)

34. 132 Vicki
    April 12, 2013 at 11:23 am

Unemployment insurance in NY went down this week to $360.00 from the previous top of $405.00.
    The length of time you can collect has also been shortened.
    $40 less per week, $160 less per month. Dire if it is your only source of income.

This is the Sequester. This is what the GOP says is forever. The new Normal.
    PBO is right when he says we need to end this. I trust PBO and I think we will end the sequester. When is the question.

35. 133 Linda
    April 12, 2013 at 11:32 am

WASHINGTON — The independent group backing President Barack Obama’s policy agenda raised a modest $4.8 million in the first quarter of 2013.

In an email to supporters, Organizing for Action says more than 109,000 people donated money to the new group. The average donation was about $44.

36. 134 japa21
    April 12, 2013 at 11:34 am

37. 137 Bill R.
    April 12, 2013 at 11:39 am

38. 138 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    April 12, 2013 at 11:45 am

Good morning, TOD!

Just woke up to stupid question by Thomas Roberts on msnbc

April 12, 2013 at 11:47 am

Someone’s being paid too much. :roll:

40. 146 dotster3
    April 12, 2013 at 11:47 am

The View just did a great segment on the movie “42″ with guest stars Harrison Ford and the young actor, Chadwick Boseman, who plays Robinson, who told a cute story about going to meet Rachel Robinson to get her blessing about playing the role. She said if the movie would have been made when she wanted it to be made, Sydney Poitier would have played the part. And then—–(as years went by)—–she expected Denzel. And she said that now she was stuck with him, teasingly. Of course she gave her approval and from all reviews he—–and the movie—–are amazing.

41. 147 Jovie
    April 12, 2013 at 11:49 am

An unregistered gun is no serial numbers so it cannot be traced. The Patriot and now Tea Party movement is worried that the Frderal government will take your guns if they know who you are.
    They now have a 3D machine that makes Guns, up to a 50 caliber. Albeit, very expensive, no serial numbers and cannot be traced.
    Good grief!
    Some day, they will be able to print out a nuclear bomb, or a F-22 stealth fighter.
    Unreal.

42. 148 Jovie
    April 12, 2013 at 11:57 am

Marco Rubio breaks a record for Sunday appearances this week. Every major network and then some will have Rubio on, a total if 7 networks want to talk to the Hero of immigration Senator Rubio.
    Where would we be without Rubio?
    Rubio, Rubio…, where for art thou Rubio…?

43. 150 dotster3