Apr

Catching Up With The Day

Bloomberg: The Boston Marathon bombing, juxtaposed with the mass murder at Sandy Hook  …. reveals an ideological component to the way Americans assess risk. In particular, Americans’ tolerance of mayhem and death varies depending on the source of the violence.

The Wall Street Journal editorial page, for example, was quick to revisit old fears about foreign terrorism in the wake of the Boston attack…

….. The emphasis on vulnerability and the “continuing need for heightened defenses” represents one side of an existential schism running through U.S. politics, with the dividing line separating mostly, but not always, liberals from conservatives. Many Americans accept the U.S.’s 30,000 gun deaths a year as a sad but inevitable price for all-but-unfettered individual rights to gun possession. A terrorist bombing, on the other hand, signals a need for “heightened defenses,” massive security and the routine compromise of liberty….

Full post here

Stephen Marche (at Charles Pierce’s blog): As I write this, no one has yet claimed responsibility for the bombing of the Boston Marathon …. But this moment, before we know who did it, may be more important than when we do know.

The speculation has established three possible perpetrators: Islamic terrorists, domestic terrorists, or simple lunatics. The potential of this moment is that we can recognize that it could be any of them, that they all want the same thing, that they are, in the only way that matters, the same thing.

…. Whoever it turns out to be will incur a blame for entire groups of people — whether Muslims or American gun nuts — which are entirely accidental to their being. Let us pause, right now, and agree not to make that mistake.

Full post here

TPM: …. Why were so many people in the media standing on pins and needles, wondering whether Obama would call what happened in Boston terrorism? …..

…. The media was listening for that word yesterday because they identified it as a potential source of a future, contrived political controversy; reporters were acting as opposition researchers for the people they cover, and identified a sin of omission….

…. most major media outlets typically distinguish terrifying violence from violent terrorism by examining motive. No political or ideological motive? Not terrorism … It’s why everyone feels comfortable calling the Unabomber a terrorist, but not the perpetrator of the Sandy Hook massacre.

Full post here

Charles Pierce: ….. We should commend both Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis for their performance at the press conference Monday night — Patrick for slapping down that Alex Jones idiot plant, and Davis, for going out of his way, in one of the few pieces of actual information that was forthcoming at the whole press conference, to emphasize that there was no “suspect” in custody in any hospital, thereby dropping an anvil on The New York Post, which completely went to the zoo on this story yesterday afternoon. Good on both of them. And for Abdulrahman Alharbi, I hope he can still be as happy here some day as I suspect he was when Monday began.

Full post here

Steve Benen: …. I’m reluctant to start talking about any single photo being the iconic image of the tragedy, but clearly this shot (see above), captured by Boston Globe photographer John Tlumacki, is powerful and hard to forget.

….  there are three main officers seen in the foreground of this image, and the one on our right is Javier Pagan, who is Latino, gay, and the Boston Police Department’s LGBT liaison.

His husband is a retired NYPD sergeant, who helped rescue people on September 11, 2001.

Full post here

‘Boston Patriots’

Former Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords listens as her husband, retired astronaut Mark Kelly speaks on Capitol Hill during a ceremony to honor Gabriel “Gabe” Zimmerman. Zimmerman was Giffords’ outreach director when he was killed in the January 2011 shooting rampage in Tucson where Giffords was wounded

Yahoo News: Vice President Joe Biden told a former congressional aide Tuesday during a visit to the Capitol building that the Senate was just two votes short of reaching the 60-vote threshold needed to pass a gun reform bill through the chamber.

After a speech honoring Gabriel Zimmerman … Biden told former Giffords aide Pam Simon that the bill would pass and that two votes were needed.

“We will win,” Biden told Simon, who survived a gunshot wound in the shooting.

…. “We are working to get to 60, and it’s fluid,” Biden said. “I think we’re there, but it’s not unusual as you all know for people to make up their minds at the last minute.”

More here

Vice President Joe Biden is scheduled to participate in a Google+ Hangout about gun control Wednesday.

He will be joined at 2:45 p.m. by the mayors of Gary, Ind.; Baltimore, Md.; Minneapolis, Minn.; and Oak Creek, Wis., according to David Agnew, the White House director of intergovernmental affairs.

Greg Sargent: A representative for families of the Newtown shooting victims has asked Senator Mitch McConnell to hold a meeting with them, according to sources familiar with the request. McConnell’s office initially declined the request on the basis of scheduling, a source says — and now family members are set to call McConnell and reiterate the request personally.

How will McConnell respond?

The request – if granted — would allow the families to come face to face with the primary architect of the GOP’s strategy of blocking everything Dems propose to slow the tide of gun violence. If it is denied, it would be a big story…

More here

President Barack Obama meets with Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., left, and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., to discuss immigration reform, in the Oval Office, April 16, 2013. Also attending, from left, are: Rob Nabors, Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy; Cecilia Muñoz, Director of the Domestic Policy Council; and Miguel Rodriguez, Director of Legislative Affairs. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Beyond belief:

The Guardian: How much unemployment did Reinhart and Rogoff’s arithmetic mistake cause? All because two famous economists whose work is used the world over to justify austerity cuts just got their sums wrong.

That’s the question millions will be asking when they see the new paper by my friends at the University of Massachusetts … They show the correct numbers tell a very different story about the relationship between debt and GDP growth than the one that Reinhart and Rogoff have been hawking.

…. This is a big deal because politicians around the world have used this finding from R&R to justify austerity measures that have slowed growth and raised unemployment….

…. If facts mattered in economic policy debates, this should be the cause for a major reassessment of the deficit reduction policies being pursued in the United States and elsewhere. It should also cause reporters to be a bit slower to accept such sweeping claims at face value.

Full article here

Charles Pierce (on the Next New Deal story): OK, I’ve kept away from this until I’ve read enough people who know what they’re talking about to feel like I know what I’m talking about but, like, wow… I’m still not entirely sure what’s really going on, but there is nothing here to disabuse me of my long-held notion that most economists reach their conclusions by cutting up a sheep on a rock and reading the entrails.

…. And are we at all surprised that a certain zombie-eyed granny-starver of our casual acquaintance was one of the delivery mechanisms into our politics for what may be one of the great public-intellectual blunders (or worse) of the century? Why, no, we are not at all…..

More here

ABC: First lady Michelle Obama will visit the United States Naval Academy on Wednesday before attending a bill-signing at the Maryland State House.

The first lady will be present as Gov. Martin O’Malley signs into law the Veterans Full Employment Act of 2013.

The legislation will enable veterans who apply for occupational and professional licenses in Maryland to get credit for their military training, education and experience.

More here

Wednesday:

11:45: Jay Carney briefs the press

4:05: President Obama and VP Biden welcome the Wounded Warrior Project’s Soldier Ride to the White House

6:30: President Obama meets with Democratic senators for dinner

Decatur, Ga., Feb. 14, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

174 Responses to “Catching Up With The Day”

1. 1 Allison
    April 16, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Thanks Chips for the info today. Much appreciated.

April 16, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Thanks Chips – I know this is a new thread, but something seems to be going on and I’m not exactly sure, so I’m just posting this here. You may delete it if you deem necessary.

April 16, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Okay – problem solved!

• April 16, 2013 at 7:39 pm

You beat me to it! Thanks Hopefruit.

• 5 amk for obama
          April 16, 2013 at 8:36 pm

pierce linky needs a fix.

• April 16, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Yikes, thanks Amk, will do it now.

• 8 amk for obama
              April 16, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Amazing how the entire eewropeans collectively lost their shit and voted for massive pain in the last 4 years. Now I hear the french are yearning for sarcrazy to come back because the current soshalist didn’t fix all their problems in one month.

Voters are stoopid world over.

• April 16, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Almost choked when I read about Sarkozy the other day:

You have to hand it to the ‘right-leaning’ parties the world over, their policies – de-regulation, all that stuff – screwed us all, but they’re largely succeeding in persuading idiot electorates that the policies of libruls/left-leaners will take us down the path of ruin, when we’re already friggin’ there.

Although, how much power any of them have, I don’t know. I used to yawn at the ‘cliche’ that democracy was dead in Europe, that pretty much every economy there was being run by the EU. Ah, tis true. Ireland’s people, for example, elected a coalition that included a supposedly socialist party …. they may have all stayed at home and not voted at all, EU enforcing the most extraordinary austerity measures on the country, and as usual, the people who played no part in the collapse of the economy are the ones who are suffering.

• April 16, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Seems to be okay now Hopefruit:

3. April 16, 2013 at 7:43 pm

So many things going on. We’re fortunate to have a President who is able to multi-task.

Thanks for the briefing Chips.

Congrats to Allison.

4. April 16, 2013 at 7:49 pm

So, an update on the missus.

She is not dealing well with the whey protein drinks. I just got off the phone with her, and the surgeon’s nutritionist said to try egg protein drinks. She also talked about Muscle Milk Light. So off to Vitamin Shoppe after work to see what they have.

She finished up the deposition for the lawsuit which got her let go from her job. The plaintiff’s lawyer made a veiled threat about reporting her to the licensing board; he obviously mistakes Mrs. LL for someone who’s afraid of him. It went as well as could be expected.

But the really good news is that she was approved for UEI! So that’s a weight off our shoulders.

5. April 16, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Congrats Allison. So glad Pres. Obama is a great leader. Thankful we also have a great VCPOTUS who doesn’t feel the need to go to an undisclosed location.

April 16, 2013 at 7:56 pm
    April 16, 2013 at 8:00 pm

N.S. (Nova Scotia) to give $50,000 to Boston children’s hospital after bombings

Source: CTV

News of a deadly terrorist attack in Boston is hitting home in the Maritimes, where connections to the city run deep…Nova Scotia Premier Darrell Dexter announced today that the provincial government will donate $50,000 to the Massachusetts General Hospital for Children in response to the bombings at the Boston Marathon.

“When we were in need, Bostonians were there,” says Dexter. “There is a border and hundreds of miles between us, but Massachusetts is always close to the hearts of Nova Scotians. We will do everything we can to support our neighbours and friends in their time of need.”

The ties grew even stronger after Bostonians rushed to Nova Scotia’s aid after the Halifax Explosion in 1917.

“Bostonians found about it. They immediately responded that night,” says Gerry Lunn of the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. “A train full of relief supplies came to Halifax to help the victims of this tragedy.”

Read more: http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/n-s-to-give-50-000-to-boston-children-s-hospital-after-bombings-1.1240574

• 31 japa21
      April 16, 2013 at 8:04 pm

A lot of Nova Scotia was originally settled by people from the Bay Colony. There have always been strong ties between the two.

• 32 carolyn
        April 16, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Yes, those ties are very strong. The Red Sox are the team for New England and the Maritimes. One of my friends is a Maritimer, and Boston has always been his team. It’s an interesting and strong connection. That’s why it’s called Red Sox Nation……more than a city. I live in Oklahoma, but I’m part of Red Sox nation by heritage, so strong it cannot be broken.
        Loved the Chicago sports lines today (Chicago Red Sox…etc.) and the New York signs……the old rivalry of NY vs Boston will be surmounted tonight. Beautiful.

• April 16, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Beautiful gesture. Mention of Nova Scotia always reminds me of this gorgeous song:

8. 36 japa21
    April 16, 2013 at 8:01 pm
    April 16, 2013 at 8:02 pm
    April 16, 2013 at 8:03 pm

PBS’s “In Performance At The White House: Memphis Soul” is live right now.

11. 41 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    April 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm

You never know who is lurking here…

Ran out to the WAWA, as I was standing in a loooooooong line, older gent behind me said he notice my “Repub 4 O” bumper sticker (never removed it after I changed parties) — said “he reluctantly voted for PBO as the lesser of two evils; however, he’s now really happy that PBO is his President.” I asked why the change of heart? Turns out his son’s boyfriend turned him on to “The Obama Diary!” said he didn’t realize the Pres was doing so much for the good of the country. Hope he’ll come out of Lurking mode one day.

April 16, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Nice story, Alycee!! You never know:) So many everyday Americans have no idea the good things that this incredible President has done for all of us. Sad. However, I hope that if he reads this, he speaks up and really comes out of the shadows and becomes part of our family here…thanks for letting us know!

• 43 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        April 16, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I hope he’ll come out of lurking also. He asked if I knew when PBO would be traveling again (May, Central or South America); the Middle East was his first adventure with PBO, he’s looking forward to the next!

• April 16, 2013 at 8:35 pm

That is “way cool.” Thanks for sharing. It actually made me smile which feels good.

• 46 amk for obama
      April 16, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Go chips. GO TOD’ers.

• April 16, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Sweetest story EVER Alycee, thank you for sharing it!!

• 48 jackiegrumbacher
      April 16, 2013 at 10:09 pm

This is great to hear, Alycee. I believe attitudes across the country would change if everyone clicked on to TOD. I promote it whenever I can.

12. 49 andogriff
    April 16, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Excellent news round-up tonight.. thanks so much Ms Chips!

13. 51 lamh36
    April 16, 2013 at 8:20 pm

OT, but interesting:

APNewsBreak: Ex-wife says former SC Gov. Sanford trespassed; hearing set after his election

Wonder was this a particular nasty divorce, or was it amiable. I’d guess we’d have heard before this if there was some sort of “Jack Ryan-esque” revelation in the divorce docs, yes?

• April 16, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I doubt that many people care about this squabble. It’s just personal laundry being aired in public.

Just gossip-fodder for journalists, and my twitter timeline has been clogged with this irrelevancy from most of the journalists I follow (exception: @MikeMemoli and @JamieDupree).

• 53 lamh36
        April 16, 2013 at 9:13 pm

well excuse me. I’ll keep my frivolity away from your seriousness and you can do the same for me thanks.

• April 16, 2013 at 9:26 pm

You know, I thought this might offend you, and it wasn’t my intent at all.

Journalists flooded my twitter timeline with this info, as if it were news.

I was raised not air your dirty laundry in public, so it just rubbed me the wrong way.

In the future I will bite my tongue and not air my personal thoughts on this blog.

I really didn’t mean to offend you; my stomach is in knots about the Senate’s background check vote tomorrow.

• 55 nathkatun7
      April 17, 2013 at 3:44 am

Lamh36, I think this is more than just interesting! This really goes to the character of this man running for Congress who thinks that he is above the law. Imagine if this guy was a Democrat! All the media would be looping this over and over again! As far as I am concerned, violating a court order is a crime and should disqualify Mark Sanford from serving in Congress again. I remember him, when he was in Congress, moralizing, on and on, about how his vote to impeach President Clinton was all about Clinton lying under oath about his sexual indiscretion. What a despicable hypocrite! If any ordinary private citizen violated a court order he/she would be facing serious legal consequences and a mark on his/her record that would disqualify him or her from a variety of jobs. Any way, thank you so much, lamh, for sharing this.

14. 56 Allison
    April 16, 2013 at 8:24 pm
  15. April 16, 2013 at 8:32 pm
    April 16, 2013 at 8:37 pm

PBS just showed the sweetest footage. As Joshua Ledet performed “When A Man Loves A Woman” Amb. Rice’s husband took her hand and squeezed it hard. She looked down at their joined hands and smiled.

• 62 Audrey
      April 16, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Awwww, saw that too. How sweet and touching was that? Just the type of loving gesture a pre-second term PBO would have without much prompting, been doing for Mrs Obama.

• 63 Audrey
      April 16, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Awwww, saw that too. How sweet and touching was that? Just the type of loving gesture a pre-second term PBO would have without much prompting, been doing for Mrs Obama too.

17. April 16, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I doubt that this comment will get any traction since it’s competing with PBS’ Memphis Soul broadcast, but here’s adding to Hopefruit and Japa’s comments re: tomorrow’s Senate background check vote.

• April 16, 2013 at 8:42 pm
    • April 16, 2013 at 8:49 pm

As a reminder, according to Buzzfeed on Friday, “Senate insiders” said the bill/amendments would proceed as follows:

1) Reid gives cover to red-state Dems who can vote down the amendments they don’t like (which the rest of do… AWB and high-capacity magazines) which those Dems will use to get re-elected in their state.

2) White House will amp up pressure for “yes” vote (OFA events tragically cancelled because of the Boston Marathon bombings).

3) Five Republican votes needed to pass.

I’ve lost track of which GOP Senators are a yes. Susan Collins is a yes. What about Mark Kirk? Pryor, Murkowski and Heitkamp haven’t shown their hands yet.

Pins and needles…

Here’s the Buzzfeed article:

April 16, 2013 at 8:43 pm

WASHINGTON — Mark Kelly said Tuesday that Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) may be a “good friend” to him and his wife, former Rep. Gabby Giffords (D-Ariz.), but if Flake doesn’t support the gun control package in the Senate, he and Giffords are prepared to use their political action committee to try to remove him from office.

• April 16, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I hope Jeff Flake returns to his senses.

I can still remember the glowing 60s profile of him in the 90s (I think, don’t remember how many years ago it was). They (Morley Safer, maybe?) basically proclaimed JF the PERFECT congressman.

I think Jeff is an honorable man, and I think reason will prevail with him (keeping my fingers crossed).

BTW, did you see this NYT profile of Gabby Giffords published about a week after she was horrifically shot? She’s such a inspirational role model and I really wish Hollywood would jump to it and make a biopic of her life (ending just before the shooting, so she’s a spunky and energetic presence in every viewers’ mind; thinking Rachel McAdams or Amy Adams as Gabby):

• 70 jackiegrumbacher
      April 16, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Good for them, DF. Forget the phony “friendship,” Flake needs to prove he isn’t the NRA stooge he actually is. All of these guys fear challenges from the right. I so want them to fear challenges from their left. Mark Kelly and Gabby Giffords mean business and I’m glad they’re not taking any nonsense.

19. April 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm
  20. 72 PoliticalJunkessa
    April 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Beautiful round-up, Chips. Thank you. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

April 16, 2013 at 8:49 pm

PBS is winning the night. Beautiful tonic for the soul.

April 16, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Thanks DF!

April 16, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Oh damn….whaaaaat?

• April 16, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I replied to lamh above, that this is just gossip, not relevant to who will serve the best interests of SC-01.

I LOVE Stephen Colbert’s whole-hearted support of his sister. It’s heartwarming and family-affirming.

But please. Who the heck CARES about Jenny and Mark Sanford? Really? They are both very wealthy, this is just personal grievances meant to humiliate an ex and to screw up their poor kids (can you imagine being a teenager having to live through this mess?).

Beneath the dignity of supporters of the President’s agenda in the middle of obstruction and tragedy, IMHO.

• 82 utaustinliberal
        April 16, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I don’t know you and you don’t know me so please, don’t ever tell me what I can and cannot post and don’t ever tell me what is or isn’t beneath the dignity of supporters of Pres. Obama. I have never attacked you or censored you on the blog. So please, treat me with the same respect or back off.

• 83 4morefor44
        April 16, 2013 at 9:48 pm

how is not relevant that a candidate for congress is repeatedly violating court orders, and has a hearing IN COURT already scheduled about it?!?! this isn’t gossip. this is extremely relevant for the voters.

• 84 nathkatun7
          April 17, 2013 at 3:54 am

Very well said 4morefor44! Most divorcing spouses know the serious consequences of violating court orders. Those who do are often punished severely. Voters need to know if the person running for Congress thinks that he/she is so important to be above the laws that ordinary citizens are obligated to obey. With all due respect to Arapaho415, this is not “just gossip….” This is about an individual who thinks that he is above the law!

• 85 Vicki
        April 16, 2013 at 9:55 pm

We are like PBO. We can do many things at once: enjoy the Memphis concert, pray that the gun legislations passes, and wonder at the foibles of our opponents.

Full support to UT and Lamh.

24. 86 a4alice
    April 16, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Holy Mackeral Chipstah! This is HUGE! Okay back uptop I go to peruse…….THANKS!

April 16, 2013 at 8:59 pm
    • 96 amk for obama
      April 16, 2013 at 9:05 pm

She said the complaint has nothing to do with her former husband’s efforts to rebuild his career in politics. She said it was filed with the court the day after the incident and when a family court judge last month set the case for the docket, it happened to be two days after the election.

“I am doing my best not to get in the way of his race,” Jenny Sanford told the AP. “I want him to sink or swim on his own. For the sake of my children I’m trying my best not to get in the way, but he makes things difficult for me when he does things like trespassing.”

Hope the punk sinks permanently.

April 16, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I sooooo hope this is real. :lol:

27. 104 Nena20409
    April 16, 2013 at 9:18 pm

In the 1970s there is was Jimmy Cliff with this song Suffering In The land.

40 plus yrs……..still there is STILL Suffering In The Land.

April 16, 2013 at 9:18 pm

The idea of this happening – don’t care if it’s real or not – is freaking hilarious. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• April 16, 2013 at 9:26 pm

That. Is. Spectacular :lol: Always reluctant to give the Daily Mail clicks, but tempted this time…..

I used to wonder why they told half the story in their headlines, until an interweb expert explained it was all about including as many keywords in the headline as possible so they’d show up at the top of a Google search.

This one is one of the greater examples!!!!

• April 16, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Unfortunately, this was a publicity stunt from a weird group that was trying to publicize a live crucifixion that was happening around Eastertime.

April 16, 2013 at 9:19 pm
  30. 110 Nena20409
    April 16, 2013 at 9:20 pm

This post is filled with Important Information……….Nicely done, Thanks Chips.

April 16, 2013 at 9:25 pm

5 repubs needed for the gun control to pass – toomey, mccain ….. ??? any other repub who has some sense? GA senators ?

32. 113 Jovie
    April 16, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I love Annapolis.

33. 114 mtmarilyn
    April 16, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Hey guys, I happen to turn on my PBS channel and here is “Memphis Soul” from the White House. Guess I never checked to see when it was going to be on and no one here has mentioned it yet. Too much other stuff going on. Listening to Queen Latifah now.

34. April 16, 2013 at 9:33 pm
    • 119 jackiegrumbacher
      April 16, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I’m glad you sent this tweet, Bob. It outrages me that 60 votes are needed to pass every piece of legislation and every amendment. This is not how the Senate was ever intended to work and it gives the minority virtually absolute power over anything that gets voted on. It’s insane. It has to change or the whole system of government has to be revised. I’m so tired of having a sick and hate-filled MINORITY leader control the senate’s legislative agenda. If there were a march on Washington about this, I would join and I don’t like marches.

• 120 Betsy
      April 16, 2013 at 10:41 pm

This 60 vote majority on everything is driving me crazy too. Karma is ahead for hem in 2014!!

April 16, 2013 at 9:34 pm
  36. 125 Jovie
    April 16, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Look, I guarantee all
    Of you, if the background bill fails, the RNC will immediately send out an email to every news organization in the Solar system- blaming the President.
    And that, my friends, will be the next lead for days, perhaps a week. :(
    I have seen this before, all to often. :)

37. 126 Nena20409
    April 16, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Ain’t No Mountain High Enough……Ms Ross.

38. April 16, 2013 at 9:39 pm
  39. 128 prettyfoot58
    April 16, 2013 at 9:39 pm
  40. 129 Jovie
    April 16, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Senate did one bill today, they passed a resolution honoring Thatcher.
    If she was alive, I would tell her to kiss my lily white ass.
    Are you kidding me?

41. 131 prettyfoot58
    April 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm
  42. April 16, 2013 at 9:47 pm
  43. 140 vitaminlover
    April 16, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Seeing that picture with my President and McInsane in the Oval Office makes me realize that he cannot help himself. He truly admires President Obama. He does.

44. 141 prettyfoot58
    April 16, 2013 at 9:55 pm
  45. 142 lamh36
    April 16, 2013 at 10:05 pm

A little late, but don’t forget to wacch the PBS documentary by Ken Burns: The Central Park Five. It’s on now and will be on soon on West coast.

Central Park Five

THE CENTRAL PARK FIVE, a new film from award-winning filmmaker Ken Burns, tells the story of the five black and Latino teenagers from Harlem who were wrongly convicted of raping a white woman in New York City’s Central Park in 1989. The film chronicles The Central Park Jogger case, for the first time from the perspective of these five teenagers whose lives were upended by this miscarriage of justice.

• 143 PoliticalJunkessa
      April 16, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I started to watch, but my feelings became too intense, so I am recording it and will watch later. Having grown up in NYC, it was just a bit much for me tonight.

• 144 Melanie
        April 16, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Wow it was very riveting. Lots of memories came flooding back as I remember how that case almost tore this city apart. Worse of all it has been 10 years and the city still hasn’t settled their lawsuit. Mayor Bloomberg should be ashamed and I hope it becomes an issue in the upcoming mayoral election.

April 16, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Evenin’, TOD. This is my first stop here today, so I must catch up.

In the meantime, CanadaBarb asked me to post for her that it’s been announced that their Vancouver Sun Run 2013 Marathon will be taking place as scheduled this Sunday, April 21, despite the events surrounding the Boston Marathon, and that their thoughts are on the Boston runners and spectators.

I’m sure we all wish Vancouver marathoners the best! CanadaBarb says she’s heard that interest in and registration numbers for their marathon have increased significantly since the Boston Marathon, both because of national pride and, I’m sure, in solidarity.

Their marathon has been held every year since 1985, and is one of the largest road races in North America. The organizers are reassuring participants that their emergency preparedness plan is also taking into consideration how Boston runners were affected yesterday.

We can follow the Vancouver marathon on Twitter:

47. 153 Jovie
    April 16, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Biden uncertain on gun vote: ‘It may literally come down to one or two senators’
    By DONOVAN SLACK | 4/16/13 9:28 PM EDT
    Vice President Joe Biden said Tuesday night that he is not sure if the votes will be there for expanding background checks on gun buyers.

“It may literally come down to one or two senators,” Biden said, blaming Republicans for filibuster threats that require Dems to get 60 votes instead of 51.

The vice president, who had sounded optimistic earlier in the day, seemed considerably less confident that they would get to 60 in time for the scheduled vote Wednesday.

“We may not get it this week,” Biden conceded during a speech in Baltimore. Still, he added, “We will prevail.”

“Whether it’s tomorrow, or next month or next year, we are eventually going to reflect the view of the American public in the laws that we pass.”

Biden said the nation would be shamed before the world if Republicans succeed in filibustering the amendment after the massacre in Newtown. And he said those in Congress opposing the measure would do well to listen to the American people — a majority of whom support expanded background checks, polls show — or Americans will vote them out of office.

“It may not happen today, it may not happen tomorrow, but it will happen,” he said. “Because that’s how democracies work: respond to the will of the American people or you leave, even in our gerry-mandered districts, Democratic and Republican.”

IJDK!!

• 154 jackiegrumbacher
      April 16, 2013 at 10:36 pm

The truly sad thing is that a “majority” will vote for background checks and in any other time in the history of the US that would be enough. We have become a mockery of a democracy and it’s that that will shame us around the world.

48. 155 Jessica
    April 16, 2013 at 10:26 pm

This is so vain but that girl in the preschool photo in Georgia has an excellent manicure. What is she 4??

• 156 MightyPamela
      April 16, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Sometimes the little girls like to do their nails with Mama. They feel big, and it is not a bad idea to help them learn to take care of themselves from an early age.

49. 157 99ts
    April 16, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Hello late nighters – my intertubes has been offline most of the morning – who knows why?? – and I return to a wonderful array of pictures and discussions – but as always the one that turns me to tears is Gabby.

I can never forget the verbal attacks she sustained – and have no doubt this led to the shootings – I cannot believe that her fellow congresspeople are not doing all in their power to ensure such things will never happen again – but some are so full of hate – may it lead to their political demise.

April 16, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Chips – Just checked out the top of the post and, although I really appreciated seeing all of the important and serious news, I must admit my eye was caught by the photo in the Oval Office … where President Obama (“that one”) is sitting upright in the “power chair” (old ’70s management style trick – Ha!) and Senators Schumer and McPain are sitting on the squishy sofas, having to wrench their necks in an awkward position to see the President, which, hopefully, made the latter guy (“the loser”) squirm.

I’ll be good.

• 159 carolyn
      April 16, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I noticed that too…….and smiled.

• 161 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      April 16, 2013 at 11:06 pm

So it’s not just me… I took a little delight in that grimace that seems permanently etched on McLoser’s face.

April 16, 2013 at 11:30 pm

No, I’m sure you’re not alone – I just want to CELEBRATE all victories (’08, ’12), every time I see McLoser’s face in the crowd of losers.

• 163 HZ
        April 16, 2013 at 11:55 pm

I smiled as I saw our president sitting there; and then I smiled again and loudly said,” You see John, we put him in that Oval Office, and he can sit anywhere he likes. However, you get to be seated on the sofa where you will only get to sit.” And heck, we did All of that, TOD Family!!!! Another Great Moment from “That One.”

Hell, I love our POTUS. ” Meeting over, John. See you next time.” And then POB gives that trillion dollar smile to McShame.HZ

April 16, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I look forward to the interfaith service in Boston Thursday, when our President soothes the victims, their families and loved ones, and America with his calming, healing words.

April 16, 2013 at 10:39 pm
    April 16, 2013 at 10:48 pm
    April 16, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Yup, guns and bible kinda shoot out your brains.

55. 173 LDS
    April 16, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Just finished watching CP5 with my son. I cried….he tried not too.
    The media, MSM are still whores after all of the damaged done then, they just keep on doing the same thing over and over.
    So grateful we have a President who is smart, intelligent and humble.

April 16, 2013 at 11:24 pm