Apr

The Day in Images

President Obama attends an interfaith healing service at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Boston for victims of Monday’s Boston Marathon explosions

The complete Interfaith Prayer Service from Boston today:

Back at the White House: At the end of a painful day, you just need somebody to love…..

President Obama being updated on Boston investigation by Lisa Monaco early this morning at White House (Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama, accompanied by Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, center, and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, speaks to Boston Athletic Association volunteers after attending the “Healing Our City: An Interfaith Service” at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Boston, Thursday, April 18, 2013. Menino wear a protective boot after breaking a toe.

President Barack Obama speaks to runners and Boston Marathon volunteers at Cathedral High School

President Obama talks with staff at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Mass., April 18. The President visited the hospital to meet with patients who were wounded in the bombings in Boston, following an interfaith prayer service at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross (Photo by Pete Souza)

@Jennasakwa: President Obama visited injured Karen Rand’s hospital bed in #Boston today

169 Responses to “The Day in Images”

April 18, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Wait up, please!

2. 27 LDS
    April 18, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Done deal…..

3. 29 a4alice
    April 18, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Beautiful Chips! Well worth the wait! And now I’ll just be off to be-

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

April 18, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I’m heading right after you…. in a few minutes. :grin:

• April 18, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Night Alice, see ya tomorrow – and hugs to the chicks!

April 18, 2013 at 11:23 pm

This is such a peaceful way to end the day’s coverage, darlin’ Chips. Rough week, even if we were just onlookers!

• April 18, 2013 at 11:29 pm

An extraordinary week Jacqueline, so many lows, but weirdly, I never felt more hopeful. Don’t know why, but I suspect it was PBO’s words, yesterday and today, we’ve only just begun.

April 18, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Beautiful thought – the hopeful part. Yes, I have had bursts of hope this week, as well. Part of it was definitely PBO’s words, and I think for all of us who have some type of “community” (family, friends, neighborhoods, TOD!), we know if we stick together, we’ll all be okay. I like to “celebrate all victories,” and I take that way beyond what some might think are hard-core victories. But, from what you just said, we can end the week in a sort of celebration – if for no other reason than finding renewed hope.

And now you’re our guru! And I’m IN!

4. 35 LDS
    April 18, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Congrats VC!
    Missed it by a second b/c feeding my face with chicken and waffles.
    Thank you, Chips……the Men fro Mars could not hang.

5. April 18, 2013 at 11:12 pm

This is unbelievably heroic:

6. April 18, 2013 at 11:12 pm

And just to be clear, Roland Martin can blow me.

7. 59 GGAIL
    April 18, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Good West Coast evening Chipsticks. I stuck around to say good night love :-)

8. 68 MightyPamela
    April 18, 2013 at 11:15 pm

(and to have Chipsticks close this day, of all days of wonder, with a new photo of our President (in the rain) (sigh….) goodnight, thank you. God Bless you, and May God hold our beloved Barack Obama in the Center of Her Heart. May sleep refresh and rejuvenate him for the morrow.

9. 69 dotster3
    April 18, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Lots of tweets about a shooter on the loose on the campus of MIT, police officer down.

10. 72 LDS
    April 18, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Ms. Chips, you take all the time you need. Every picture captures the essence of the day so beautifully. The last one, I call “The Look Of Love.”
    What a great way to end an emotional day. One more piece of chocolate and I am done……
    Sweet sleep everyone.
    God bless you all.

11. 74 Jewelz
    April 18, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Bombing victim helped identify the bomber.

Just before 3 p.m. on April 15, Bauman was waiting among the crowd for his girlfriend to cross the finish line at the Boston Marathon. A man wearing a cap, sunglasses and a black jacket over a hooded sweatshirt looked at Jeff, 27, and dropped a bag at his feet, his brother, Chris Bauman, said in an interview.

Two and a half minutes later, the bag exploded, tearing Jeff’s legs apart. A picture of him in a wheelchair, bloodied and ashen, was broadcast around the world as he was rushed to Boston Medical Center. He lost both legs below the knee.

“He woke up under so much drugs, asked for a paper and pen and wrote, ‘bag, saw the guy, looked right at me,’” Chris Bauman said yesterday in an interview.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-19/boston-bombing-victim-in-iconic-photo-helped-identify-Minutes before the bombs blew up in Boston, Jeff Bauman looked into the eyes of the man who tried to kill him.

This explains why the FBI are so confident about these guys. My heart goes out to Jeff and all the other victims. Jeff is truly the epitome of a hero.

April 18, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Horrifying. Just horrifying. My heart goes out to him, as well….I’m confident that whoever did this will be caught and the full weight of justice will come down on them.

• April 18, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Thank you, Jewelz. I can’t imagine the pain and suffering of this young man. We’ll never forget that photo. I’m so grateful that gentleman was there to help him.

• 77 nathkatun7
      April 19, 2013 at 3:13 am

Prayers for Jeff and his family, and all the other victims and their families! ! How can any human being descend so low to cause so much suffering for absolutely no reason? What did this man, or these men, hope to accomplish by brutally and violently maiming and taking away the lives of innocent people who had done them no harm? I don’t care about the color, race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, political beliefs, of the person, or persons, who committed this heinous crime. All I care about is bringing to justice the person, or persons, who committed this horrific act.

April 18, 2013 at 11:21 pm

anniebella mentioned this on the last thread. Thought it was important that everyone saw this. The NRA is a terrorist organization/enabler

13. 80 cindy sweatt
    April 18, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Bless our President. Rest his weary soul. So much pain.

April 18, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Great pics, especially the pensive ones.

Now to listen to the speech.

15. April 18, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Congrats VC. Excellent collection of photos and videos Chips. I was especially to see the one from Catholic TV so we could see from very beginning. Wish PBO would visit here. We need rain. :grin: :lol:

16. 88 dotster3
    April 18, 2013 at 11:29 pm
  17. 90 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    April 18, 2013 at 11:32 pm

In honor of the new ‘rain’ pic:

18. April 18, 2013 at 11:32 pm

OMG, 7.0 magnitude earthquake off the coast of Japan. No tsunami warning.

19. April 18, 2013 at 11:37 pm

On reflection, yes, at 313 comments, I did let that last post run quite long. :???:

20. 121 Jewelz
    April 18, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Apparently there has been a shooting at MIT in Cambridge, MA. That is the only detail that I’m getting from the local news here in my neck of he wood. Tthis week has just been so awful. One bad news after another. Hope for good news moving forward.

21. April 18, 2013 at 11:42 pm

LL? Are you there??? If you don’t include ‘See You’ I will email you a photo of Alex Ferguson making love to a goalpost. You hear?

April 18, 2013 at 11:46 pm

where is dudette, ya, 57f ?

April 18, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Different better photo of suspect for bombing

photo/1

April 18, 2013 at 11:58 pm

WOW. Guess this was just after the fact, since the one young woman in the right forefront appears to be crying.

• 134 Don
      April 19, 2013 at 12:01 am

Somebody has got to know this guy!

April 19, 2013 at 12:07 am

That’s a clear picture. I agree. Someone has to know this guy. They WILL be apprehended. Soon. by the way….incredible, personal and powerful message tonight. America will never be exceptional until this racial scourge is truly in the dustbin of history. America has some apologizing to do. Shame on us.

April 19, 2013 at 12:11 am

One thing that bothered me about the larger version of this pic is that there is an older guy in a navy blue shirt who appears to be looking at the suspect and laughing (smiling) while all this is going on. I’ve posted the pic here.

• 137 nathkatun7
        April 19, 2013 at 3:20 am

That bothered me too, hopefruit2! I hope the older guy has been identified and cleared of any possible involvement/gloating!

24. April 18, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Woah, Musharaf arrested in Pakistan ….

25. 151 dotster3
    April 18, 2013 at 11:54 pm
  26. 153 dotster3
    April 19, 2013 at 12:03 am

Horrible——armed campus officer—-died from a shooting tonight. No word that shooter has been apprehended.

27. April 19, 2013 at 12:04 am

Can’t believe how slow LL is with his new post :roll:

April 19, 2013 at 12:04 am

Has this been posted?

29. April 19, 2013 at 12:07 am

If you had told me 20 years ago that I’d be cleaning a fat cat’s ass because he couldn’t do it himself, well, I would have scoffed at you. #DomesticBliss

30. 168 Lynn
    April 19, 2013 at 12:37 am

So many thanks for this lovely place, Ms. Chips. You and this fabulous family have saved my sanity again!!