Apr

The Lies Of Glenn Greenwald…

LIAR

*******

Okay, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been captured. What next? Intelligent people would look to the law for that answer. Intelligent people would study the law and not make up lies to conform to their warped view. Not so Glenn Greenwald. Why? Because Glenn happens to suffer from that all too familiar “Obama Derangement Syndrome” that has inflicted many a former so called logical person since January 20, 2009 when Barack Obama took the Oath of Office and became the 44th President of the United States. Glen Greenwald’s latest drivel (click on his name to read it if you wish) claims President Obama has rolled back Miranda Rights and will do the same for Tsarnaev instead of following due process of the law. People connected with reality, know that’s hogwash. Doug Mataconis’s, @Lawscribe’s (that’s his twitter handle), and Orin Kerr’s articles clear up the stink in the air.

*******

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, Miranda, and The Public Safety Exception

Doug Mataconis: As James Joyner has already noted this morning, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will, at least initially, not be read his Miranda rights and authorities will attempt to question him regarding the plot that he engaged in with his brother, whether the two of them had any assistance from others in the United States or elsewhere, and presumably whether there are other bombs out there. While ordinarily police give the warnings required by Miranda v. Arizona fairly soon after someone is arrested, in this case authorities are relying on what’s called the “public safety” exception to Miranda

Before getting into a discussion of the “public safety” exception, it’s important to recognize what Miranda does and does not require, and what the consequences are if the police do not comply with it properly. Contrary to the conclusion that most people are likely to gather from watching crime dramas like Law & Order, officers are not required to give the warning before they arrest someone and failure to give the warning will not result in dismissal of the case. Miranda is more properly seen as an evidentiary rule that the government must follow if it wishes to interrogate a suspect and eventual defendant and use whatever statements that interrogation elicits against him in court.  If a suspect is not given his or her Miranda  warnings and the state then attempts to utilize post-arrest statements against him, then the government will generally be barred from using that statement against him in Court.

Read more here (This is a MUST read)

******

I Blame Dick Wolf – Misunderstanding Miranda In The Age Of Terrorism

Wieland Notes: That came to a head this Saturday morning with a series of essays by Emily Bazelon at Slate (here), Evan Perez at the Wall Street Journal (here) and Glenn Greenwald at the Guardian (here) warning that the questioning of Tsarnaev without Miranda warnings was a dangerous violation of his rights. All of them raise relevant arguments under the theme that the Department of Justice (see DOJ public safety memo, here) will operate with unchecked impunity which would surely lead to unchecked abuses. Unfortunately, with some exception by Greenwald, the essays all seemed to base their view of the giving of Miranda warnings on Dick Wolf’s endless runs of Law and Order where the rights are read as cuffs are slapped on wrists rather than what the true function of the warnings are – to exclude from trial evidence statements made by defendants who were in a custodial setting at the time of questioning without the benefit of having been warned of their right to remain silent, the right to consult with an attorney before questioning and the warning that any incriminating statements may be used against them in court.

When I was a defense lawyer, I lost count how many times a new client would say to me, “they didn’t read me my rights when the cops arrested me?”  My standard reply was, “Did they question you?” If the answer was, “No,” clients were consistently surprised when I told them that in such a case Miranda warnings are not necessary. To repeat – unless a suspect is in a custodial setting and subjected to questioning, the police do not need to give Miranda warnings. (If you are in such an unfortunate situation, be unequivocal that you want a lawyer or are exercising your right to silence. Courts consistently rule that saying something like, “I guess I should maybe get a lawyer,” is not enough of an invocation.)

Read more here (Another MUST Read)

*******

Tsarnaev and Miranda Rights

Orin Kerr: A lot of people assume that the police are required to read a suspect his Miranda rights upon arrest. That is, they assume that one of a person’s rights is the right to be read their rights. It often happens that way on Law & Order, but that’s not what the law actually requires. The police aren’t required to follow MirandaMiranda is a set of rules the government can chose to follow if they want to admit a person’s statements in a criminal case in court, not a set of rules they have to follow in every case. Under Chavez v. Martinez, 538 U.S. 760 (2003), it is lawful for the police to not read a suspect his Miranda rights, interrogate him, and then obtain a statement. Chavez holds that a person’s Miranda rights are violated only if the statement is admitted in court, even if the statement is obtained in violation of MirandaSee id. at 772-73. Further, the prosecution is even allowed to admit any physical evidence discovered as a fruit of the statement obtained in violation of Miranda — only the actual statement can be excluded. See United States v. Patane, 542 U.S. 630 (2004). So, contrary to what a lot of people think, it is legal for the government to even intentionally violate Miranda so long as they don’t try to seek admission of the suspect’s statements in court.

Read more here (Another MUST Read. As they say, knowledge is power)

******

142 Responses to “The Lies Of Glenn Greenwald…”

1. 1 Lovepolitics2008
    April 21, 2013 at 12:28 pm

1st ?

• 2 Lovepolitics2008
      April 21, 2013 at 12:32 pm

OMG I can’t believe it !!

Ok My real comment: I think Greenwald has lost some credibility in the last couple of years. He still has his followers but he’s not as powerful as he used to be on the blogosphere.

I’m happy there are some rational, informative articles about the “public safety exemption” . The debate, for once, seems more rational.

• 3 Lovepolitics2008
        April 21, 2013 at 12:35 pm

UT, I forgot to thank you for the links to those informative articles. Great work !

• April 21, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Greenwald is more interested in promoting himself. He wasn’t that good a lawyer when he was in practice (lots of stuff on him back then), and he only became a “progressive icon” when he was going after Bush. Mostly, because that was where the money was at the time.

2. 7 Nena20409
    April 21, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Congrats LovePolitics2008

April 21, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Isn’t matty the internet idjit ?

4. 9 Nena20409
    April 21, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Glenn Greenwald has enough followers to spout his views. Information is powerful. No matter how lawyerly Mr. Greenwald might feel, those at the DoJ are more intoned to what are needed and they know what the limitations are. They are prepared to argue their cases. Greenwald is nothing more than a fleeting illusion that cries in the wilderness wishing and looking for others to join him and to keep him feeling important.

No Worries Ms Chips says when I have pooped all over TOD. So please allow me, Ms Chips to borrow part of it……Glenn Greenwald Worries Me Not.

5. 12 kasai
    April 21, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Happy Sunday Everyone!!
    Wishing you a peaceful…relaxing day!
    I echo our Wonderful Leader! Peace…………..Peace………..Peace.

April 21, 2013 at 12:50 pm

How intense is football? So intense that Liverpool’s Luis Suarez grabbed Chelsea’s Ivanovic’s arm and bit him. Yes…bit him!

Not the first time he’s done it. When he played for Ajax, he bit an opponent and got banned for 7 games. Wonder what his punishment will be this time.

But Chelsea still leads Liverpool 2-1. Soooo……Goooooooooo BLUES!

What say you Liberal Librarian and Chiparooooo?

7. 26 Nena20409
    April 21, 2013 at 12:54 pm

So sad to hear that Rafa lost ;( :( :(
    FROM AP: Djokovic beats Nadal to win Monte Carlo Masters…

8. 27 MightyPamela
    April 21, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Well done on First, LovePolitics. IPad on fire today… Lots of posts coming in!

9. April 21, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Serious question: Does GiGi affect policy discussions in any meaningful way? I mean, it seems like the only influence he has is among his acolytes. No one in any position of authority pays him the slightest mind.

10. April 21, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Thank you, UT – excellent articles. I’d never click on a Glenn Greenwald article so I passed that opportunity up.

11. 41 kasai
    April 21, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I listened to the whole speech of Bill Clinton accepting Glaad award…waiting for him to thank President Obama…instead he thanked Chelsea..
    Unbelievable!

• 42 amk for obama
      April 21, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I read about it somewhere today. It looked like a whites only do. capario, theron….

And rhetoric from the left in the past week about gun control seems to be an underhanded push for hillaryis45. Good luck with that, bill.

• 43 kasai
        April 21, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Whites only..As they pretend to be for Equal Right…
        We know the drill…

• 44 Bill
          April 21, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Many of us “whites” are for “Equal Right” and have been for decades. It is unfortunate TOD is becoming very divided. I do not understand why things have changed here.

• 45 kasai
            April 21, 2013 at 1:45 pm

With respect Bill…We are not divided here at TOD..We also know that ‘Some” as Glaad organization tries to divide us by not giving credit to PBO…and we have the right to speak up when our President is being attacked just because of his skin color not just on this matter..but for so much more..All I have to do is look what the racist TeaParty are putting him through…Believe me if PBO was white….many of his legislation would have been passed and this country would have been better off.
            We have Not changed…We are pointing out the treatment of a Black President.
            Peace

• 46 kathryn kivett
              April 21, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I am not trying to be disrespectful to anyone….only trying to be blunt…..when remarks are made about “white privilege”, “whites only”,”as caucasian as it gets b/c from the region of Caucasus(sp)”, to name a few things that have been said and jumping on people b/c they have not expressed opinions on different agendas is dividing. I certainly am not just directing my remarks to just you Kasai but to others who seem to want to turn events into a black/white issue…..When I joined this forum, I was running from DKOS b/c of their extremism. I could have cared less what color anyone’s skin was but loved their brains and character….still do not know most of your ethnicity and unless you are explaining a viewpoint that helps me understand your point of view b/c of where you are coming from in your life, it matters not to me..I too went through the 60s and have always believed in equal rights for everyone….but…..I’m not feeling very welcomed here, at the moment.

• 47 utaustinliberal
                April 21, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I’m going to offer a different view. When Kasai or anyone talks about “white privilege” it is not meant to be divisive. It is just a simple fact of life. When someone says Caucasus is as white as it gets, that’s not being divisive, that’s just a fact. Caucasian is derived from Caucasus and for centuries that is the true definition of white. People from that region are by definition white as historians and anthropologists have defined since the term was coined.

White privilege is a fact. It is real. When John King can go on TV and say that it was a dark skinned individual who committed those heinous acts and not even feel ashamed that he was pushing a flawed stereotype, not even get punished by his bosses, that is white privilege. Roland Martin had a slight dust up with CNN for a tweet he posted and got suspended for it. Dana Loesch comes on CNN, says inflammatory things, tweets inflammatory things, yet CNN was perfectly comfortable with that. That is white privilege.

When a white person can walk down the street without others showing fear in their eyes, walk into an upscale restaurant, store, clothing outlet and not be accosted by the owner or staff, not be stared at suspiciously, not be asked over and over whether the store is the right store for them or be made to feel as though they cannot afford what the store sells, that is white privilege.

When a Black president is demanded to prove his citizenship over and over again, then made to stand up in front of the entire nation and show his birth certificate; something the previous 43 presidents before him have not done, that is white privilege.

This is 2013 and one would think society doesn’t have white privilege, but it does. Pointing it out is not divisive. Pointing it out makes society sit up and acknowledge that it must do better. I am going to post Don’s comment that was highlighted by Chipsticks. This is 2013 but Don still has to go through this everyday as a Black man.

A Word From Don: “So John King is apoplectic that people are questioning if he’s a racist or not, too bad, he signed up for it when he went on national t.v. and said the Boston bombing suspects were black….I mean dark skinned. Let me tell you what I didn’t sign up for, I didn’t sign up to be followed around a department store, I didn’t sign up to have women clutch their purses as they walk in my direction, I didn’t sign up to hear the sound of car doors being locked as I crossed the goddamn street with bags of groceries in both arms, I didn’t sign up to walk in a bank to get some money out of my account and have the teller walk in a back room with my I.D. and have me wait for twenty fucking minutes just to get money out of my account, I didn’t sign up to have some white guy ask me I if was from this country just because I knew who Leon Panetta was, I didn’t sign up to have a realtor question me about my credit score and whether or not I’ve ever been arrested before I could finish saying hello, I didn’t sign up to have a waiter tell me the food in the restaurant I was in was expensive before he gave my wife and I the fucking menu. I’m not telling you these things because I’m looking for sympathy, I’m just telling you about the shit that the average black man has to put up with, so when John King gets upset at getting called out for an error he made, he should get on his goddamn knees and pray to his god that he doesn’t have to go through the same bullshit that the average black guy walking down the street does. Am I angry, hell yes, have I given up hope about the idea that a person should be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin, hell no.”

I am also going to post the link to a commentary written by a white male author who very honestly and bravely admits that there is white privilege in society and society must acknowledge it.

• 48 kasai
                  April 21, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Thank you UTA. I appreciate your perspective.

April 21, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Thanks Ut for posting this. These are facts – perhaps inconvenient truths, but if we cannot acknowledge these basic facts, we cannot make progress as country. This is 2013, and the time for hiding behind false realities and illusions of a post-racial America are long gone.

• 50 kathryn kivett
                  April 21, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I agree with what you said, for the most part…..but feel that the “white only” room could have been left out….am I enraged that this group honored “Bill Clinton” instead of PBO…absolutely….I am not sure I agree with the motives though…rather than b/c PBO is black, I think…and what do I know but having an opinion….that they decided to put their eggs in the Clinton’s basket and outrageous as it is…it is a possibility…does that PMO, …anytime PBO is disrespected it PMO….does it make me more disinclined to support a Clinton even if it is a woman, yes…………as far as what black men go through, because I am white there is no way I can do more than tell you that I care…..but…..what does that have to do with a discussion of the Boston bombers?…….To be frank, I had never heard of Caucasus…ever…. and feel should only be discussed as a region that has Al Qaeda training not what color the people are that live there………now about “white privilege”…yes, I do know it exists but what John King said was offensive to me who has darker skin than those two Boston terrorists…..it was irresponsible for him to try to gin up fear of mid Eastern people(don’t think he was referring to AA) and he should lose his job for it……but he won’t and I’m not sure if it is because he is white or because the corporate powers that be at CNN fall into the ignorant category that think that their viewership want the fear ginned up. I have said the last I intend to say on this subject except to say that the people right now that need our support are Muslims for they are experiencing exactly what Don described. As a white woman riding down the street in my car and seeing a group of men on the corner, believe me, I would much rather them be AA than white supremacists who just might pull out their AK 47’s and shoot me b/c I have an Obama sticker on my car.

• 51 Dipthong
                    April 21, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I know you said this was the last thing you were going to say on this subject, but I’m only throwing in my two cents because the media (and those on the Right) are implying that all Muslims are the same, and members of Al Qaeda. The region the Boston bombers are from, is not known to have Al Qaeda terrorists. I read that the only terrorist group up there, and the only ones that matters are a Chechen Islamist group called the Caucus Emirates. They are kind of like Al Qaeda, but they aren’t Al Qaeda. They are Muslims, but their mission is different. They are separatists who want independence from Russia. They have been fighting Russia non-stop for years, and have never done any attacks overseas. The Russian government has spread propaganda saying that the Caucus Emirates, and Al Qaeda are the same, but they’re not. In fact, the Caucus Emirates released a statement saying that they had no links to the Boston bombers, and that they are not at war with America. They are only fighting Russia. One last thing, not that it really matters, I believe most of the people in that region are white/caucasian simply because it is in southeast Europe, and caucasians usually originate from Europe, as far as I know.

• 53 nathkatun7
                  April 21, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Thank you UT for another one of your great pieces. Sometimes TRUTH hurts. But as the Bible says, knowing the TRUTH will set you free.

• 54 Betsy
                  April 21, 2013 at 6:41 pm

You are so right UT. As an older white woman, I have seen this “white privilege” in action and my heart bleeds for my fellow human beings who are often defined by their color. the IMPORTANT, IMO, is to be aware, to speak out against it, as I do in my social studies classes among my 8th graders everyday. Education and knowledge are key to changing our world to become a more equal and perfect union.

• April 21, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Everything you said, ut, but especially this:

“When a Black president repeals DADT, stops enforcing DOMA, grants hospital visitation rights to LGBT partners, makes sure the Hate Crimes Act covers LGBT individuals, grants workplace protections for LGBT federal employees, comes out in favor of marriage equality during a very crucial election that could have lost him much needed votes, and makes sure LGBT individuals are covered in the Affordable Care Act, yet the leading LGBT organization in the country gives its Courage Award to Bill Clinton who put in place DADT and DOMA, that is white privilege.”

• April 21, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Don’t want you to feel in any way not welcome, Kathryn.

When I refer to ‘white privilege’ and ‘as Caucasian as it gets’ I’m writing as a white male, age 65, who has been on that issue since my teens when I had to face not just a pack of frothing, extremely privileged white folk, but also family and friends and challenge their racism.

What we’ve witnessed from corporatist #NEWSTAINERS and many elected officials these past few days reveals just how far we have to go before the reality of the boundless, intrinsic value of America’s diversity is accepted by a very specific American demographic – my fellow ‘Caucasians.’

We will never stop striving for the dawn of that day over America.

#FORWARD Together

• 57 kasai
                April 21, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I am sorry you feel that way…My intention were never meant to be divisive or extremist..I was just pointing out.. facts of how our President is treated due to his skin color…I thank you for fighting the cause for Civil Rights…I am a product of what every black person goes through on a daily basis… Don’s post explains that fact….
                My apology If my post offended you.

• 58 a4alice
                April 21, 2013 at 3:59 pm

kathy – hope that eveyone’s comments were helpful. I am a fifty something white female and really didn’t ever think about this subject until I went back to college in the 90’s and finished my degree. I met an American Indian professor who explained about “white privilege”. since having had my eyes opened up to this truth I have been able to pick it out when it is happening. There are other things too. Like being a woman affords me a certain perspective in my career or that of my female colleagues and how they are treated. As I am aging I am seeing how this is also coming into play. Not just to myself because I got it pretty good. But man, I’m watching some of my female friends getting the axe and it’s basically because they’re 1. older. 2. female. Aging and my gender are just facts of life. The privilege I am afforded because of my skin color is as well.

Please don’t be offended or feel like you are not being welcomed. It really is a fact of life like those other things I mentioned. It’s all ugly but information is power and that’s how we can work against this kind of thing. Hope this helps you.

• 59 yardarm756
                April 21, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I know it doesn’t feel good. I’ve been suffering the same kind of discomfort for over 65 years!

• 60 globalcitizenlinda
      April 21, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I must admit that I did not have the stomach to watch this “award”.

so they are now pushing Chelsea for political office – staying tuned but I suspect voters will have moved on.

history will record the facts and the GLAAD award for B.C will not make a footnote because credit will go where credit is due.

• 61 kasai
        April 21, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I made my call to Glaad…as many of us did…Only reason I watched…I was hoping for Bill to be a bigger man…and give credit to PBO..the least He can do right?…Man…was I disappointed…after all PBO risked presidency for doing what’s right…Chelsea?? really…what has she done? sick of the Clinton.

• 62 theo67
          April 21, 2013 at 4:17 pm

They seem to want to erase the Obama Presidency – probably because they know they won’t be able to live up to his standard of integrity and decency and capability. The fact that Bill Clinton allowed Chris Matthews to call him “the President of the World”, and now accepted this award without a word of recognition to President Obama, who has been cleaning up Clinton’s mess for the past four years – that tells me everything I need to know about Bill Clinton’s character.

• 63 criquet
      April 21, 2013 at 2:45 pm

They will probably award the next one to Hillary Clinton for her recent video announcement that she is now in favor of same-sex marriage.
      If by chance they ask PBO first, I truly hope he says -thanks but no thanks.

• 64 theo67
        April 21, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I guess actual achievements and results don’t mean anything. I noticed a few weeks ago that Rachel showed a timeline of the recent growth in support from Congress on marriage equality all started with Hillary announcing her support. The timeline didn’t extend to before Hillary’s announcement, to include the President’s very risky statement of support last year. Pretty sad.

• April 21, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Said it before will continue to say it..

giving Bill Clinton the award instead of President Obama..

would be akin to

after the passage of the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act..

the NAACP turns around and gives the Springarn Medal..

NOT to Lyndon Baines Johnson..

but to Strom Thurmond.

THAT is how ridiculous GLAAD is giving that Award to Bill Clinton

• 66 kathryn kivett
      April 21, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Thank you all for your insightful comments…..even at my age, I try to learn something every day……Kasai, I know you were not trying to be divisive nor was anyone else…..I guess, b/c of all the events of this past week, my emotions are just raw..(including Gladd’s disrespect of PBO) my horrible encounter, up close and personal with racist ignorance, Peter King spewing his vile bile,……..profiling people b/c of their religion and color of their skin just upsets me and I fear….yes, FEAR, that this nation is sliding backwards…..I know we have to march forward and keep the HOPE in our heart, but my heart is so sad right now.

12. April 21, 2013 at 1:20 pm

13. 71 MightyPamela
    April 21, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I’m taking a rest now. For some reason my leg is quite aching today, my shoulder is in shreds…. I’ll be back later. Y’all behave, be good, love each other and keep lighting candles. http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=PBO

14. April 21, 2013 at 1:26 pm

“America is truly an exceptional nation.

It’s not because of our education system, our economy or our scientific establishment.

No, America is really only exceptional when it comes to the number of guns, the frequency of gun murders, and the shockingly high number of annual gun deaths.

Other countries don’t have the problems that the United States do. Other industrialized countries don’t have tens of thousands of gun deaths per year, or regular mass shootings, or a population as armed as it is violent.”

April 21, 2013 at 1:33 pm

16. April 21, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I’m hoping that Desertflower visits this thread today:

I really don’t get Flake. I thought he was an honorable man, but he JUST GOT ELECTED. He sent a handwritten note to the mother of an Aurora victim saying that he supported background checks, then cast his vote the other way.

#weasel #coward

• April 21, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Dagnabit. Posted wrong Memoli tweet.

Also, Mika Brzenski send an individual tweet to every Senator voting NO on Background Checks the day after the vote. Here’s the one she sent re: Jeff Flake:

17. April 21, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Also, I posted this at the tail-end of a thread yesterday.http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/15/oregon-9-year-old-killed-by-security-guard-practicing-holstering-weapon/

The original reporting got lost because it happened the same day as the Boston marathon.

The MSM need to step up and ask NRA supporters how they view this tragic story in light of wanting armed guards in every school.

18. 82 yardarm756
    April 21, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Time for a mid-afternoon break.

He’s my Brother – This is Priceless

Two young boys walked into a pharmacy one day, picked out a box of tampons and proceeded to the checkout counter.

The man at the counter asked the older boy, “Son, how old are you?”

“Eight,” the boy replied.

The man continued, “Do you know what these are used for?”

The boy replied, “not exactly, but they aren’t for me. They’re for him. He’s my brother. He’s four.

We saw on TV that if you use these you would be able to swim and ride a bike.

Right now, he can’t do either.”

• 84 utaustinliberal
      April 21, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Hahahahaha….good one. Those tampon ads are so unrealistic. They make it seem that on red tent days all you need is a tampon and you’ll be cheery as a bird that’s caught the early worm and you can conquer the world.

Umm…nope. On red tent days, you want to lay to waste anyone who as they say, doesn’t come correct; especially men. :lol:

• 87 aquagranny911
      April 21, 2013 at 2:56 pm

LMAO! This is not a joke but a true story. When my Hubby & his brother were about 9 & 6 they found a huge box of condoms lying in the street that fell off a delivery truck. Believing they had struck gold with a life time supply of “balloons” they brought them home & proceeded to blow them up to fill their bedroom. When their mother saw what they were doing she was horrified. She ran & grabbed one of those old time hat pins & proceeded to pop the “balloons while both boys jumped with glee. However, they were real unhappy when she confiscated what was left of their “balloons.”

Hubby said it was several years before he knew what they actually had & wished they had know then because they could have saved them for later!

19. April 21, 2013 at 2:09 pm

The acted alone. And, one emerging obvious reason why Dzhokhar has not yet been Mirandized is the simple fact that he’s in very serious condition.

“WASHINGTON — Boston officials said the Tsarnaev brothers likely were preparing to launch more violent attacks before their odyssey of terror was disrupted last week — given the large quantity of weaponry they possessed — but that all evidence thus far indicates they were acting alone and were not part of a broader conspiracy.

“All of the information I have is they acted alone, these two individuals, the brothers,’’ Mayor Thomas M. Menino said today on ABC’s “This Week.’’

“The older brother’s dead now. We have the second one … in very serious condition,’’ he said. In an apparent reference to his medical condition, he added, “We don’t know if we’ll ever be able to question the individual.””

• April 21, 2013 at 2:18 pm

With this type of evidence, it really doesn’t matter what Dzhokhar has to say:

“”Surveillance video shows captured bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev setting his backpack down at the Boston Marathon’s finish line, waiting for the first bomb to go off and then moving away from the backpack before the second explosion, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said Sunday.

Patrick said he had not seen the tapes but had been briefed on them. He said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that the video puts 19-year-old Tsarnaev at the scene of the attack.

“It does seem to be pretty clear that this suspect took the backpack off, put it down, did not react when the first explosion went off and then moved away from the backpack in time for the second explosion,” Patrick said. “It’s pretty clear about his involvement and pretty chilling, frankly.” “”

• April 21, 2013 at 4:22 pm

So many GOP and some in MSM want this to be a broader connection to a foreign group than what is emerging. To my mind there has been no group to step up and associate themselves with the young men. My gut tells me they did this on their own. But we will wait for more information from FBI and the administration.

• April 21, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Yes, as you note, we need to wait for a bunch more facts than we have at this time.

However, here’s an interesting perspective that is consistent with your ‘gut feeling':

“”For example, if you look at some of those initial photos, you’ve got a kid with a hoodie and a cap. If he wants to obscure himself, the hoodie goes on, the cap forward. If he had operational training, I want to know who did it because they were amateurs.”

“This looks more to me like Columbine than it does al Qaeda,” the counter terrorism expert observed. “Two kids who radicalized between themselves in a closed circle go out and commit murder. I would charge these guys as murders, not terrorists.” “”

#TrustBarack

20. April 21, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Good suggestion …

• 94 aquagranny911
      April 21, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Excellent share Bob & I concur. I have a couple of professional firefighters in my extended family & they have raised the issue of how badly volunteer firefighters get treated. Those volunteers are often not covered by insurance, except what they have on their own, often pay for their own equipment & may not have the same extensive training as the pros, yet they risk their own lives to serve the people just like paid personnel do.

West, TX lost their first responders who rushed to the scene to save the lives of others & gave up their own in consequence. Somehow, their families should not be left without some kind of help. Just wanted to add this to your post.

• 97 Nena20409
      April 21, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I Love it. And so It shall be. Thank You all the Obama Team.

21. 98 a4alice
    April 21, 2013 at 2:23 pm

thanks UT – great post. Had someone come to my house for a visit yesterday and they were “GG-smacked” about the Miranda issue. I’ll send these articles to him.

• 99 utaustinliberal
      April 21, 2013 at 2:30 pm

You’re welcome a4alice.

Spread away. Knowledge is power and person by person, we can begin to dispel lies.

22. 100 a4alice
    April 21, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I hope that enough Texans see that their self righteous law makers are not playing by the social contract that many others play by. Not voting for disaster aide for hurricane sandy, wanting to secede and yet, now that they are in trouble wanting federal aide. I hope they see how two faced these politicians are and vote them out.

23. April 21, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Fantastic and well-organized post — thank you very much for the detailed information! I love how “certain people” forget that the President is a Constitutional Law scholar (he knows what he can/can’t “get away” with… :) ), and I think the “public safety” exception is a necessary, exigent, and “limited”means of hopefully determining the “who-what-when-where-how-and why” of the whole situation (and hell, maybe trying to get this kid “deprogrammed” back to “normal” — just my theory though :) ).

April 21, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Thanks UT for pushing back against GG’s derangement with FACTS – something that is clearly lacking in today’s left and right media/bloggosphere discourse.

25. 106 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    April 21, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Forgot about this…

• April 21, 2013 at 3:36 pm

This just makes me ill. If there is anything the government should subsidize 100%, it’s education and healthcare.

• April 21, 2013 at 3:44 pm

That’s probably because there’s a certain faction that believes that the 2nd Amendment is infallible with absolutely no room for modern/evolving interpretation; but, when you quote other essential aspects and concepts of the Constitution/Declaration of Independence to them, like “life,” “pursuit of happiness,” and “general welfare,” there’s plenty of wiggle-room for interpretation and exceptions.

It’s sad and very arrogant that they think that the Founders of this nation (albeit imperfect) waved a magic wand and built itself, when in fact it was “neighbors helping neighbors — community organizing style” that did more-or-less.

• 109 Nena20409
        April 21, 2013 at 5:18 pm

FayPax remember what Willard Mitterrand Romney said before a crowd in 2012? Borrow money from your parents. That is the mentality of the TBGOPers these days.

26. April 21, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Okay, call me a Communist, but I don’t care if the young man receives his Miranda Rights or not. We already know he will get life in prison, either way. It’s just a matter of process and formality as far as I’m concerned; if he wants to talk he’ll talk. Besides, I can’t think of a profession with more avenues available to crucify someone than the legal profession. They will make their point if they have to reach back to a law written in 1302 BC, Miranda Rights or not.

April 21, 2013 at 3:39 pm

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In the halls of the United States Senate, dozens of Senators congratulated themselves today for having what one of them called “the courage and grit to stand up to the overwhelming wishes of the American people.”

“We kept hearing, again and again, that ninety per cent of the American people wanted us to vote a certain way,” said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky). “Well, at the end of the day, we decided that we weren’t going to cave in to that kind of special-interest group.”

“It was a gut check, for sure, but we had to draw a line in the sand,” agreed Senator Lindsey Graham (R-S. Carolina). “If we had voted the way the American people wanted us to, it would have sent the message that we’re here in Washington to be nothing more than their elected representatives.”

Calling yesterday’s Senate action “a bipartisan effort,” Senator Mark Pryor (D-Arkansas) said, “This proves that on a matter that affects the safety of every man, woman, and child in the nation, we can reach across the aisle to defy the interests of all of them.”

Senator McConnell agreed that yesterday’s vote “sent a powerful message,” adding, “If the American people think that just because they voted us into office and pay our salaries, benefits, and pensions, we are somehow obliged to listen to them, they are sorely mistaken.”

Yes, this is satire.

• April 21, 2013 at 3:48 pm

DF!!!

Did you see my comment above re: Jeff Flake (one from @GregPinelo, the other from @MikeMemoli).

Is local media covering Flake’s vote versus Giffords and Aurora mom perspectives?

April 21, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Hi there, Arapaho:) I sure did see what you posted about that fucking chicken shit coward….I’m trying to hold my tongue here…. there are enough adjectives for this POS. I don’t even KNOW what that comment about the six year term tried to mean! WTH does THAT mean?? Six more years to fuck up MORE votes?? I detest that bought and paid for money grubbing shill….TP darling that he is. I don’t even care what people say that he’s agreeable and nice. No he’s not! That little ass just voted for repeal of student aid and repeal of ACA…for the 39th time…..obviously, he still thinks that he’s in the animal house that was the House of Representatives and not working on behalf of the country rather than a district. More important for him to keep his “A” from the NRA cult, despite the wishes of this state and the country. He can go fuck himself. He also thinks that it’s a FINE IDEA to dig up the Grand Canyon for uranium…because, I don’t know…money from the mining industry here…got lots of PAC $$ from them. He’s a damn whore, plain and simple. Don’t let that boy next door, innocent looking guy fool you. The fact that he was a coward in front of his friend, Gabby Giffords, is EXACTLY the kind of low life creature is really is!
        Thanks for thinking of me….:) It was nice to be thought of….

• April 21, 2013 at 4:04 pm

• April 21, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Are you sure this is satire?? ;) lol

28. 122 a4alice
    April 21, 2013 at 3:39 pm

the latest from GottaLaf

29. 126 Allison
    April 21, 2013 at 3:47 pm

30. April 21, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Speaking of West, TX (upthread):
    “For the past two years, the Chemical Safety Board’s budget requests have argued that its lengthy investigation into the April 2010 Deepwater Horizon explosion and spill is sapping its ability to respond to other incidents. In its 2013 budget request, a document sent to Congress in February 2012 to make the case for its federal budget allocation this year, the CSB wrote that “the burden of the ongoing Deepwater Horizon investigation and a backlog of old cases has further hampered the CSB’s ability to initiate new investigations.” In its 2014 request, released in January, the agency makes a similar argument…”

31. 128 canadabarb4obama
    April 21, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Vancouver stands with Boston. It rained until just a few minutes before the run began, then the sun came out, and now, the skies are becoming dark! Hope this picture will post.

April 21, 2013 at 4:10 pm

ACTION ALERT************** For those against Keystone Pipeline……public comments end tomorrow!!!

33. 135 a night owl
    April 21, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Anybody who has *actually* watched Law & Order (for decades!) should know that Miranda is an incantation that’s more about protecting the prosecution than it is about protecting the accused. In other words, if the Miranda warning is waived, it’s the court case that suffers, not the suspect.

I believe that the basic right against self-incrimination stems from the 5th Amendment, which has definitely NOT been waived.

• 137 globalcitizenlinda
      April 21, 2013 at 6:29 pm

the things we do that break our parents’ hearts!

• April 21, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Thank you very much for posting this article, I really appreciate the perspective. If anything, it helped me to sort through some of my curiosities about the family in general. More importantly, it helped to illustrate that just because a particular culture believes in arranged marriages (many do throughout the world), and just because you may have been perhaps understandably “eccentric” at times does NOT automatically make you a terrorist family (can’t wait for the reality show…. ;) ) Clearly, the fact that the mom left a few months before the Boston Marathon is proof without a reasonable doubt that she was in on the entire plan, which is why she’s being allowed to stay with her son while he recovers…. (yes, I’m being sarcastic… :) )

34. 141 nathkatun7
    April 21, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Thank you for this excellent post, UT! All the articles you shared were indeed ” must read.” GG is badly infected with ODS! Surely the lawyers at the Dept. Justice don’t need GG to educate them about Miranda.

35. 142 Jovie
    April 21, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Piers Morgan ‏@piersmorgan
    BREAKING: #Boston bomb suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is awake, and responding to law enforcement questions. #CNN

RSS Steve Benen