Apr

Rise and Shine

Random old Texas pic: Austin, Feb. 23, 2007

Today:

EST

12:0: VP Biden and Dr Jill Biden attend a memorial service for Officer Sean Collier at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology

12:30: Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney

12:45: VP Biden delivers remarks at the memorial

4:25: The President and the First Lady depart the White House

CDT

6:35: Arrive Dallas, Texas

7:35: The President delivers remarks at a DNC event; the First Lady also attends (Private Residence, Print Pool for Remarks Only)

Steve Benen: A confluence of events appears to have created a curious new talking point on the right. With former President George W. Bush’s library set to open, and last week’s Boston Marathon bombing still very much on the public’s mind, Republican pundits see value in trying to tie the two together in the hopes of improving Bush’s reputation.

The Washington Post’s Jennifer Rubin, for example, published this gem yesterday: “Unlike Obama’s tenure, there was no successful attack on the homeland after 9/11.”

A few hours later on Fox News, Eric Bolling echoed the sentiment.

…. When it comes to Bolling, I should note that this is an improvement from his previous stance. Two years ago, he suggested on the air that he didn’t recall 9/11 at all….

I should also note that neither Rubin nor Bolling seemed to be kidding. Their comments weren’t satirical or jokes intended to make Republicans appear silly…..

More here

Andrew Sullivan: …… The country Bush broke is still broken. And the cost in terms of human life and tax-payers’ dollars still looms over us all. And yet some like Rubin still do not see the failure staring at them in the face. Because they cannot. Late-era neoconservatives can never admit error. They do not have the intellect for it.

Full post here

Steve Benen: For the last couple of months, congressional Republicans were content to ignore the consequences of their sequestration policy, celebrating the deep budget cuts as a “victory.” Now that it’s causing several flight delays as the FAA begins furloughs, Republicans have suddenly discovered they don’t like the sequester after all. Indeed, they’re now blaming President Obama, suggesting some kind of conspiracy is afoot — the White House wants air travelers to suffer to make some kind of point about the value of government spending.

More here

ThinkProgress: While it’s still unclear what caused the explosion at a West, Texas fertilizer facility last week, authorities have already ruled out criminal activity. And it is clear that while seven different regulatory agencies were responsible for overseeing the plant, and in fact five out of those seven have previously cited and/or fined it, the lack of coordination or concerted effort meant that it slipped through the cracks.

But it wasn’t just that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration was perpetually underfunded and understaffed, nor that the Texas Department of State Health Services didn’t pass the plant’s report of huge amounts of ammonium on to federal regulators. The Sunlight Foundation has found that industry groups such as the Agricultural Retailers Association, which represents suppliers of fertilizers and pesticides, and the Fertilizer Institute have actively worked to weaken potential safety regulations….

More here

ThinkProgress: A conservative group connected to Colorado’s Secretary of State has been sending political mailers — including a picture of a darker-skinned woman whose face was digitally removed and replaced with a white woman’s face — in an attempt to oppose a landmark voting bill that may soon become law.

More here

WTOP: Maryland’s governor, Martin O’Malley, says he is considering a run for the White House in 2016.

O’Malley said Wednesday in Jerusalem that he will dedicate more “reflection time” in the later part of this year to deciding whether to seek the Democratic nomination for the 2016 race.

More here

Michael Tomasky: Last Friday I went to a small breakfast where Joe Manchin was the speaker. This was just two days of course after the failed vote, so interest in his thoughts was keen, and I must say he didn’t disappoint….

…. I was most interested in how it all was playing back home ….  I think his answer said a lot about how Democrats from pro-gun states can navigate this issue. He said he was at a picnic the previous weekend, around 200 to 400 people. When he first came in the room, people were skeptical. But he and a guy named “Frank” simply went through the bill and told people what was in it and what was not in it. “Once people started seeing what was in it, they said, ‘Joe, we’re okay.’”

…. My takeaway from Manchin’s talk was this. First, the voters need to trust you in general terms. He’s been around a long time—governor, now senator. People know him. Most do know that he’s not secretly bent on taking away anyone’s right. So that comes first. But then you have to be willing to use that trust to do something a little bit risky with it. Manchin was willing to do that. For all but the 5 percent of the 40 percent, that makes him a leader. And there’s no reason other red-state Democrats shouldn’t be able to follow his example.

Full post here

Greg Sargent: If supporters of gun reform are going to have any chance at realizing their agenda in the wake of the defeat of Manchin-Toomey, they will have to show that Senators can be made to pay a genuine political price for opposing progress on gun violence.

A new Pew poll sheds light on why this may prove very challenging — but it also has some findings that will lend some comfort to gun safety advocates….

More here

PP: Planned Parenthood Federation of America announced today that President Barack Obama will deliver the keynote address at the organization’s annual gala dinner in Washington DC on Thursday, April 25. The “Time For Care” dinner, attended by Planned Parenthood’s supporters and national and local leaders from across the country, will honor champions of women’s health.

“President Obama has done more than any president in history for women’s health and rights,” said Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. “He understands that access to birth control and preventive health care are economic issues for women and their families. We fought alongside him to ensure that women’s health access was expanded in the landmark Affordable Care Act, and now we have to fight hard to ensure that the full promise of health care reform is realized for millions of women. We are honored to have President Obama join us at our ‘Time for Care’ Gala at this pivotal moment for women’s health.”

More here

TPM: At a dinner on Tuesday at the White House with all female Senators, President Obama discussed the budget, the economy, immigration reform, gun control and other issues, according to a White House official.

“The President enjoyed continuing his discussion with the Senators about a wide range of items on the agenda, including working together to find common ground on budget issues and new initiatives to grow our economy, create jobs, and strengthen the middle class,” a White House official said of the dinner…

More here

Matt Miller: Baucus retires, a grateful nation cheers

With one glorious stroke Max Baucus has made it possible for two of America’s more interesting politicians to play bigger roles on the national stage. Not to be churlish, but I’ll take Ron Wyden and Brian Schweitzer over a dozen Max Baucii any day. Never has a politician done so much to lift the prospects of the republic simply by saying goodbye…..

More here

MooooooOOOOOoooorning!

106 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 17 japa21
    April 24, 2013 at 9:26 am

• 18 LDS
      April 24, 2013 at 9:31 am

And many minds…..one at a time.
      Good morning, Japa21. Love all your tweets all of the time.

• 19 jackiegrumbacher
      April 24, 2013 at 9:36 am

Japa, we really have one chance to turn this around. Some of our states will not survive another four years of the extremist governors who came to power in 2010 and simply drifting along with a destructive US House is not acceptable. 2014 is as important as any presidential year and it’s not too early to start registering voters and spreading the word.

• 22 MightyPamela
      April 24, 2013 at 10:22 am

And will have worldwide repercussions….

2. 23 LDS
    April 24, 2013 at 9:29 am

It must the the green tea…….
    Good morning TOD!
    Love the post, Ms. Chips going back to read everything and listen to more Irish music.
    Have a great day everyone!
    PEACE.

April 24, 2013 at 9:32 am

Sane people.

Clown train rolls on.

Doofuses immortalized.

Dogs are better than Darth Vader

These charts show what an epic disaster Bush’s presidency was from start to finish. E-P-I-C.

• 25 jackiegrumbacher
      April 24, 2013 at 9:38 am

What a farce this library is! How anyone can keep a straight face while visiting this monstrosity is anyone’s guess. I truly bless PBO. It would take all of my control not to laugh out loud.

• 26 LDS
        April 24, 2013 at 9:50 am

I concur. They should arrest this low life and his father for spawning him. A library? Really?

• 27 prettyfoot58
        April 24, 2013 at 10:48 am

why are there Presidential Librairies….why not house all the archives in the Smithsonian…

O/T question…
        I know that the gifts that a President receives is not his to keep…but what about things like PBOs Nobel Peace Prize and the Medal that he received in Israel…is PBO allowed to keep these..

• 28 MightyPamela
      April 24, 2013 at 10:34 am

I thought I had seen that this building was to be called the GWB presidential Center, rather than Library. Now it seems it is going to be called a Museum. Anyone help to clarify. And I agree with JG and LDS, namng anything after him seems ludicrous, but in America we honor those who have ‘served’ us. (in this case, served himself and his wealthy big oil cronies…)

• 29 Nena20409
      April 24, 2013 at 11:56 am

GW Bush raised over $500B for his so called Museum. Is it any wonder that a man who proclaimed to have hated Saddam H……went out and have himself Bronzed….life-size?

The make is narcissistic…..truly a little man. I can understand if he had one built for his father…….but for himself too? No wonder he draws painting of himself in the bathroom and in a tub taking a bath.

GM TODers.

Great Post. Lost of information as always ;) Thank You, Chips.

April 24, 2013 at 9:35 am

• 31 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      April 24, 2013 at 9:56 am

Damn, you’re good!

• 32 MightyPamela
      April 24, 2013 at 10:39 am

Just so, and PBO will be his gracious, compassionate self, FLOTUS will be staggeringly beautiful. And you know what?, they ALL know, and WE all know, the Truth and the Reality. Oh, and History will NOT be kind to this undeserving and pathetic example of humankind.

April 24, 2013 at 9:36 am

Excellent R/S Chips!! Thanks for posting LOD’s Rewrite…..it was awesome. I still detest that liar/coward Jeff Flake…all over again!

• April 24, 2013 at 9:42 am

Mooooorning DF! A brilliant Rewrite, missed it last night so was delighted to find the video.

April 24, 2013 at 9:54 am

It was great…so glad you posted it here for everyone to see! I better not run into that SOB in the grocery store…they’ll have to carry me out.

6. 36 japa21
    April 24, 2013 at 9:36 am

As usual, Pierce is on the Rubin stupidity in his usual eloquent manner:

Thus do we confront what we can call The Great Mulligan, which is granted by the dimmer lights in the chandelier to the president and to the national security team — Hi, Condi! — who presided over the most massive intelligence failure in American history, and over the greatest loss of life to an enemy attack on American soil since everybody hugged it out at Appomattox. This has popped up from time to time in the years since it became obvious what a complete and utter failure the Bush presidency really was. Sorry we lied you into a war, but we kept you safe. Sorry we demolished American values, and just about every shred of American moral credibility in the world, but we kept you safe. Sorry we let New Orleans drown, but we kept you safe. Sorry we allowed the national economy to blow up, but we kept you safe. In fact, if you sent C-Plus Augustus into his own museum, and had him take that interactive quiz, and provided he didn’t break a thumb trying to get a Diet Coke out of the exhibit, his answer to everything would be I kept you safe.

No. In fact, you didn’t. Stop saying that before 3000 ghosts come to your room some night and pummel you with ectoplasmic bags of sheep dung…

Read more: Daily Politics Blog – Charles P. Pierce – Political Blogging – Esquire http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/#ixzz2RO67f7Az

7. April 24, 2013 at 9:39 am

Good morning all! There’s always so much good stuff to read here. Went to a gathering last night that turned into a shouting match about the bombing. I had to put my two cents in and was roundly booed, which I expected…I’m in Kansas! I put a great deal of what I said in an article I posted this morning. I hope you’ll take the time to read it. Don’t be scurd…it’s short :). In the meantime, I’m going back to read all the goodies posted here.
    See ya’ in a bit.

April 24, 2013 at 9:51 am

AWESOME, MUST READ!! Thanks for putting to paper all the thoughts that swim around in my head on a moment to moment basis…it’s a wonder I get ANYTHING done. Kansas, huh? The land of ” life begins at fertilization”?? Maybe the men in that state should really be held accountable….”Wet Wicks Are a Crime Bill”……??

• April 24, 2013 at 10:02 am

desert, I’ve been luck enough to travel and live all over the world. This is the worst place I’ve ever had to spend time. I have to drive across the Republican River everyday. :)

April 24, 2013 at 10:11 am

I feel your pain. I’ve done my share of living all over the place, as well. Arizona makes me wish for sanity every day. I rue the day I left CT for sunshine and warmer weather….not a good tradeoff. AT ALL! Keep doing what you do:)

• 44 99ts
      April 24, 2013 at 9:54 am

You write truthfully and well FayPax – despite the boos – if just one person listened – if just one thought that they have voted against their own self interest – if just one starts to care about all Americans – your two cents was worth $$$$

• 46 mtmarilyn
      April 24, 2013 at 10:25 am

FayPax, what a great article. I was born and raised in Kansas, still have many relatives there and have a family reunion every year there. I love saying I was raised there but now what is happening is hard to watch. I can’t talk to any in my family about it as they are all Repubs. My heart is with you.

• 47 sjterrid
      April 24, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Excellent post FayPax. I wish your blog had a “like” button.

8. 48 sonjiaduncan
    April 24, 2013 at 9:42 am

Great, lots to read. Have a great day everyone.

9. April 24, 2013 at 9:43 am

Rise up this morning smile with the rising sun, three little birds sat by my door steps, singing sweet song of melodies pure and true singing….
    Good Morning our wonderful Chips and my fellow Obamanators, I hope everyone have an excellent day.

10. 50 Vicki
    April 24, 2013 at 9:47 am

This is looking like it is going to be a great day in the USA.
    First: The top editorial in the NYTimes is a detailed sane outline of the real hurt the sequester is causing for our citizens, unemployment cuts, head start cuts, housing assistance withheld, and it urges us to think about these tragic effects rather than focusing on blame or nonsense.

Second: Colbert takes down the austerity crap the 1% worldwide have been pushing. Almost 10 minutes of richly deserved scorn heaped on the duo he calls Rogaine and Braveheart, among other ridiculously named duos.

Many TOD folks are adept at transfering material from the web to TOD. If i had an e-mail of one of our blog mistresses and blog masters I could send it on also but that is the only way i know how to send attachments.

11. 51 Jovie
    April 24, 2013 at 9:49 am

From what I understand, Baucus held a Gearing with HHS last week. He basked Sebelius why nobody knows how to get enrolled in the Exchanges? He suggested, People in Montana are afraid of the exchanges.
    Sebelius said, they will be doing an outreach this Summer and you can start signing up for the exchanges in October.
    Baucus kept pressing her on the How and what?
    Three days later he retired!

12. 56 Jovie
    April 24, 2013 at 9:52 am

Is their really a poll that shows GW at 47% approval for his eight years in office?
    That’s mind boggling. Wtf!

13. 57 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    April 24, 2013 at 9:54 am

Good morning TOD! Some light reading of particular interest to Pennsylvanians…

14. April 24, 2013 at 9:57 am

I had to stop reading to come post this, in case you missed it. Just heard Chuck Todd say, “without George Bush there would be no President Obama.” Now put that in your pipe!
    Gone again.

April 24, 2013 at 9:58 am

16. 76 99ts
    April 24, 2013 at 10:03 am

Sometimes technical issues can cause as much trouble as those “terrorists”. Suicides can implode after share markets crash. Much talk about AP twitter being hacked – but how did it happen? Is twitter to blame or is AP to blame – why do some lies cause havoc, yet the lies from the GOP each and every day get ignored.

And why does a “robot” troll social media looking for events that may impact stock prices? I don’t understand the technology very well – but I gather it is all done without human impact – serious science fiction becoming real

Check the graph of the dow.

• 77 amk for obama
      April 24, 2013 at 10:18 am

The original purpose of stock markets has been hijacked by trolls in that past quarter century right around raygonomics. Now it’s all make quick money and get out types that push/pull the markets.

April 24, 2013 at 10:09 am

In this Today Show interview, Pres. Obama talks about FLOTUS, his daughters, his dancing (or lack of dancing skills), and getting tattoos. :lol:

• 83 sherijr
      April 24, 2013 at 10:29 am

thanks ut that was fun- he is always so thoughtful in his answers.. no matter the stupid question. Those questions- each of them asked with this friendly innocent smile.. yet each one of them geared to provoke him into attacking someone.. be it Bush, his kids, his wife.. and yet master that he is, turned them each into articulate thoughtful smart responses. I just hate the media, all of it.

• 84 donna dem 4 obama
      April 24, 2013 at 11:03 am

Thanks UT that was great. I love those types of interviews because I find myself smiling through the entire thing.

• April 24, 2013 at 11:13 am

Thank you UT!!! The tattoo thing is hilarious!

18. 86 japa21
    April 24, 2013 at 10:13 am

• 87 japa21
      April 24, 2013 at 10:14 am

Okay, I have to get my head screwed on straight. Chips delete this duplicate.

• 88 99ts
        April 24, 2013 at 10:16 am

Women’s health, women’s rights, the right to vote to mention a few more

• 89 japa21
          April 24, 2013 at 10:31 am

Onkly 140 characters. As I tweeted yesterday, 140 characters isn’t near enough to catalogue all the outrage the GOP deserves to get.

• 90 99ts
            April 24, 2013 at 11:06 am

And it’s impossible to understand why so many try to deny reality when looking at the GOP

• 91 japa21
              April 24, 2013 at 11:17 am

There is a subset of people that are so leery of the Dems that they want to believe the worse of them, so they pretty much will accept whatever loes the GOP twells. Then there are some who actually do believe the crap or agree with GOP policies.
              And the media doesn’t give them any reason to believe the GOP is really lying to them.

19. 92 donna dem 4 obama
    April 24, 2013 at 10:35 am

It’s way too early for this but hmmmmm…..

• 93 goldendreamer
      April 24, 2013 at 10:54 am

YAAAAASSSSS!!! :D Now we’re waiting on VP Biden, Deval Patrick, and Elizabeth Warren…

• 94 Linda
      April 24, 2013 at 10:56 am

Good …. because I would have to hold my nose to vote for Hillary

• 95 4morefor44
      April 24, 2013 at 11:02 am

he is so great on so many fronts. i have some concern since he was kind of dud at the last democratic convention, and being able to fire up crowds is a big part of winning the national election, but I could get excited by o’malley. i still think senator warren is the perfect candidate though and she can really fire up crowds as she did at the convention, and her last couple of debates with male-model-brown were some of the best debate performances i’ve ever seen, yes ever. should be an interesting primary season, and there’s nothing more that i would like than a whole bunch of great democratic candidates getting the message out during the primaries.

20. April 24, 2013 at 10:52 am

Gingrich??? :roll:

Earlier this month, news broke that CNN was looking to relaunch Crossfire, the famous debate show that pitted two pundits — one liberal, one conservative — against one another on the political issues of the day.

Sources now tell POLITICO that the network is in discussions with former Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich and former Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter about roles on the show.

21. 102 4morefor44
    April 24, 2013 at 10:57 am

they started re-writing history about w. bush years ago. his former press secretary of all people was trying out the “no terrorist attacks under bush” on national tv in 2009!

they just lie and lie, and i’m convinced almost all the big “think tanks” in d.c. exist simply to re-write history in republican favor, and “the news” just goes along with it year after year. this latest flare up will be stronger than ever it seems with the shrine opening.

22. 104 japa21
    April 24, 2013 at 11:22 am

23. April 24, 2013 at 11:24 am

Hey there all you O’s!!! What another great getting up day again on TOD boulevard!!! I’m still drying out here in the concrete wetlands. I’ve found a sure-all, beat-all, drainage system that I’ll be installing as soon as the contractor has some free time. It seems my down the block neighbor had work done last fall and didn’t get a drop in her basement this week. Take that you torrential rain you. Now back to pull out the rest of the stuff. We’re getting extra waste disposal trucks for pick up today. ttyl

PS: Did I mention how much I enjoyed my basement break here yesterday? Well, that PBO plane video was a mighty fine way to re-energize me. Gawd, that was nice. Talk about feel free to roam the cabin.

RSS OFA