May

Two years ago…..

May 1, 2011 – Pete Souza: “Much has been made of this photograph that shows the President and Vice President and the national security team monitoring in real time the mission against Osama bin Laden.

Some more background on the photograph: The White House Situation Room is actually comprised of several different conference rooms. The majority of the time, the President convenes meetings in the large conference room with assigned seats. But to monitor this mission, the group moved into the much smaller conference room. The President chose to sit next to Brigadier General Marshall B. “Brad” Webb, Assistant Commanding General of Joint Special Operations Command, who was point man for the communications taking place.

With so few chairs, others just stood at the back of the room. I was jammed into a corner of the room with no room to move. During the mission itself, I made approximately 100 photographs, almost all from this cramped spot in the corner. There were several other meetings throughout the day, and we’ve put together a composite of several photographs to give people a better sense of what the day was like.

Seated in this picture from left to right: Vice President Biden, the President, Brig. Gen. Webb, Deputy National Security Advisor Denis McDonough, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, and then Secretary of Defense Robert Gates. Standing, from left, are: Admiral Mike Mullen, then Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; National Security Advisor Tom Donilon; Chief of Staff Bill Daley; Tony Blinken, National Security Advisor to the Vice President; Audrey Tomason Director for Counterterrorism; John Brennan, Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism; and Director of National Intelligence James Clapper.

Please note: a classified document seen in front of Sec. Clinton has been obscured.”

(Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

169 Responses to “Two years ago…..”

1. 1 japa21
    May 1, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Afternoon all

2. 5 Nena20409
    May 1, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Finally…..OBL is under the Sea ;)

3. 6 57andfemale
    May 1, 2013 at 1:44 pm

3?

4. 7 Nena20409
    May 1, 2013 at 1:47 pm

GW Bush had at least a set of Deck of Cards.

PBO on May 1, 2011……made sure that OBL was Not on any Deck of cards,…..but languishing at the bottom of Large Sea/Ocean…….yeah :!:

May 1, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Nena, I forgot about that deck of cards. Not comparing it to the stupid GWB trick, because it was all his crowd could think of in the way of catching OBL, but the Navy and other military had decks of cards (as training aids, which could travel with service members) in the first half of the last century to identify planes and stuff during wartime. Saw a set or two once, and that shows us just a little bit of how far we’ve come in the strategies and tactics of wartime. At least after Bush left in disgrace.

5. 9 MightyPamela
    May 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Hey! Wait for me!!

69MightyPamela
    May 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm
    Okay. So. In a very brief note: VaHoo! WootHoot! Zowie! Badda-bing, badda-BOOM! MightyPamela has a fully healed right patella, and consent to LEAVE OFF CRUTCHES! Oh YEAH! Am allowed to walk around the house with just the knee immobizing splint, as comfort dictates, and am to begin PT as soon as possible (need to figure out transport)… PT for both knee and shoulder, and may wean off splint as strength and endurance allow. No driving yet, no running up and down the stairs (what?), but on this bright and shiny MayDay, this all seems quite miraculous to me! I shall finish my celebratory pot of green tea and meander outside with my kitty. She will eat grass, I will not! Now, how do y’all like that news?! My heartfelt thanks to my TOD family and to mama Chipsticks for all the longterm loving kindness and support, and don’t forget encouragement, that is vital to us all!

• 10 57andfemale
      May 1, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I’m so happy for you.

But Mama-57 must caution you to not over-do. The better you ‘behave’, the quicker you will heal. But it must feel like you’ve been let out of jail – well parole, anyway.

I’m watching you, girlfriend! We want you fully healed as soon as possible.

• 11 MightyPamela
        May 1, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Yes ma’am, no worries on that! I am in a daze of the most miraculous kind, as just being able to carry something in my hands without shuffling crutches, astonishes me. So, I know I will have to pay attention even more so, and not be carried away! Ortho said the same thing: be careful, don’t push it, only do what feels right. I must take caution, as I do not want to re-injure – cannot bear the thought of being in the wedding procession on crutches or with a damned knee splint making lumpy-bumpies under my gown! Yikes! (also, VC will be monitoring, and you know what THAT means… Lawdy, Lawdy :lol: )

• May 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm

FANTASTIC news, MP!!! Please do as ‘Mama-57′ recommends.

Cheers!!!

• 13 MightyPamela
        May 1, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Yes, Sir, Dr.Bobfr, Sir! My solemn word on that! What a strange and awesome feeling… But having done it all so well up to now, not much point in screwing it up, eh? ;)

• 15 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      May 1, 2013 at 3:17 pm

OUTSTANDING! Looks like adding “Mighty” to your name gave you extraordinary healing powers! YIPPY!!!! Like others, adding the same cautions on not overdoing; right now, you’re in the “grateful” stage so you’ll do things gingerly, however, please be especially careful over the next few weeks. Soooooooooooo happy for you!

• 17 Dudette
      May 1, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Yay! Wooohoooo! Go MP!!

• 21 MightyPamela
      May 1, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Y’all are just so dear! {{{{{TOD}}}}} and YOU! Miss Dudette!! We have some playlists waiting for your return! :lol:

• 26 jackiegrumbacher
      May 1, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Great, great news, MP. Enjoy the day, breathe in the air and feel the blessing of healing.

• 28 andogriff
      May 1, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Wonderful news MightyPamela!! So very happy for you, best wishes for continued and speedy healing!

6. 30 MightyPamela
    May 1, 2013 at 1:50 pm

There I was, yakking away on the last thread, while y’alls were moving along the fairy track…..

May 1, 2013 at 1:55 pm

From Electablog, if you haven’t seen it:

Gary Peters announces run for U.S. Senate (in Michigan)

May 1, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Still get chills every time I think back to that fateful night. What a historic moment.

9. May 1, 2013 at 1:58 pm

• May 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I lost the live feed when he started talking about the gray-haired man, sorry, I forgot his name, starts with J. FCC, etc.. Please fill me in.

10. 44 Proud Former White House Intern
    May 1, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Awesome I remember that night. Everybody was outside of the White House yelling and screaming. I just knew people were going to be dragging the next day in the office but I was wrong. Awesome PBO said consider it handled.

May 1, 2013 at 1:58 pm

If you read anything today, make sure you read these two pieces by Charles Pierce and Michael Tomasky pushing back at Maureen Dowd’s latest drunker than a frat boy anti-Pres. Obama drivel.

12. May 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm

13. May 1, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Holy crap, Newt is saying it would be a “major mistake” to send troops to Syria. PNAC will not be happy.

14. May 1, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Ok, after LL questioned the healthiness of my diet last night, I’m off to eat a Cheesy Puff salad. Back in a while with a This & That, lots of exceedingly good stuff out there today.

15. May 1, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Reposting in case anybody missed these important items from yesterday

May 1, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I watched part of that Christian Science Monitor event with General Dempsey, and he was superb.

He also made it quite clear that “he” wasn’t the one who called the policy-making shots. The General confirmed for those who keep forgetting that he “takes orders,” although he reminded the reporters that he is fully free to give his recommendations both as CJCS and on the National Security Committee.

There was no nuance to what he said. He is there at the pleasure of, and with the full confidence of, the President – our one and only Commander-in-Chief – unlike the thinking of the neo-cons that the Generals should call the shots, especially since the previous dumbo president-in-training (GWB) was incapable of doing that.

President Obama has a good man in General Dempsey (although I myself am partial to my former Navy employer and former CJCSs like Admiral Mullen!). And I was quite impressed with the serious questions of the reporters and probably editorial board of the Christian Science Monitor, in attendance.

16. May 1, 2013 at 2:27 pm

This is a thing of beauty….Video should start around 3 minute mark…And Rep. Duncan was a Marine….Pathetic!

17. May 1, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I love May Day for sentimental reasons. It was flowers for me. . .

18. May 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Mel Watt has been a champion in protecting homeowners for a very long time….The previous idiot was a Bush holdover.

May 1, 2013 at 2:31 pm

PBO: “First thing he said to me was, ‘I want to see Michelle.'”

Mel’s mom sounds like my own, as we were growing up in the ’50s. She “never let us know we were poor” and couldn’t do anything and everything!

20. May 1, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Back briefly! Brian, the artist who drew that beautiful sketch in the previous post, has very kindly left a comment – say hello!

21. 80 japa21
    May 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Like Pierce, I get confused by Pope Francis at times, but this is definitely not Paul Ryan speaking.

• May 1, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I think Pope Francis is a transitional figure. On some things he remains committed to a conservative dogma. But on social justice, for the most part, he’s on the good side. I think he’s preparing the Church for the one’s who is to succeed him.

• 82 japa21
        May 1, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I tend to think you are correct. I am not altogether sure that the cardinals who elected him expected what they are about to see. And I also expect to see him appoint future cardinals who are not quite as doctrinaire.

22. May 1, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Amazing! Please pass along….

23. May 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm

24. 85 donna dem 4 obama
    May 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Wow I just read the criminal complaint on those 3 bozos that were arrested on charges in the bomber case. It’s a fascinating read. BTW they were not his roommates. They were friends that he hung out with.

Bomber #2, the one in custody was one arrogant so and so. Reading this makes me think even more now that they did this all on their own. They had absolutely no plan to get away.

You bomb a major event and when your picture gets plastered all over the world you send a text message to your friends telling them to take what they want from your dorm because you’re not coming back. They go and take his stuff and throw it in a dumpster and lie about it. Imbeciles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 86 yardarm756
      May 1, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Kinda hard for me to worry about that when “Head start” and some other essential things are circling the drain.

• 87 jackiegrumbacher
      May 1, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Imbeciles is an understatement. They’ve ruined their lives and destroyed all their prospects. Hope they enjoyed whatever they took from his dorm room because the inside of a jail is pretty short on comforts.

May 1, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Any questions?

• 89 japa21
      May 1, 2013 at 3:36 pm

• 90 japa21
        May 1, 2013 at 3:39 pm

• 91 Linda
      May 1, 2013 at 3:51 pm

EXCLUSIVE: New Hampshire Lawmaker Warns Of Revolution Over Immigration Reform ( at the Ayotte town hall )

Two videos

May 1, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Linda – Couldn’t quite get through the read, when I noticed the photo of the “NH Lawmaker.” Yeah, it’s a picture of the horse and the horse’s ass. Neither one of ‘em looks in shape enough to start any “revolution,” but, of course, he’ll send others to fight for him. Surreal.

May 1, 2013 at 4:03 pm

One of the “no duh” quotes from the Republican “NH Lawmaker”:

“But even key positions within the White House are going to people that are going to promote his agenda.”

Ya think? Would key positions be given to people who would not? Said lawmaker was referring to his reading the newspaper at the local McDonalds, when he saw that the President had designated Mayor Foxx to be the new Secretary of Transportation. I’m thinking “people that are going to promote his agenda” means just exactly what we all know it means, coming out of that turd’s mouth. But I don’t want to start a “revolution” of PBO supporters, so I’ll stop there.

26. May 1, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Howdy Family! Sistah-Girl is back on the prowl!

Love & hugs to everyone who expressed well-wishes while I was out sick! Sooooo glad to be back!

27. May 1, 2013 at 3:46 pm

The Green Lantern Caucus i.e. MSM claim PBO is feckless b/c he is not like a make believe Sorkin concocted President…..

• 124 Lovepolitics2008
      May 1, 2013 at 4:20 pm

MSM blames the President for being hated. That’s rich.

Maybe we should tweet over and over again to those pundits who live in the Beltway bubble this simple advice:” get out of Washington, go anywhere in districts, states represented by republicans, and listen to the radio for a couple of days… Go to the local bars and chat with people there. Maybe you’ll get a clue about what’s really going on….”

Those pundits who cultivate relationships with republican congressional staff, lobbyists, republican strategists, republican elected officials aren’t able to acknowledge that republicans are the problem because the people they talk to seem “reasonable” in salon conversations. I doubt that the cocktail circuit is full of tea partiers who scream about “the muslim socialist”. The cocktail circuit is full of “serious” people who say that small business need less regulations, that the debt and “uncertainty” about taxes keeps the economy from growing, and all sorts of republican dogma. Ideology trapped in the wonky talk that impresses pundits who have limited expertise.

So for those pundits, their PERSONAL experience with D.C. republicans make them incapable of recognizing how radical the GOP has become. They think the GOP is a legitimate opposition.

Add to that the myth of LBJ of course… (LBJ benefitted from the good will of everyone after the trauma of JFK’s assassination, and had a big majority in Congress. When democrats endured some electoral loss, LBJ didn’t have as much success.)

• May 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Well…..to say I could not have said it better, would be an understatement LoveP! Incredibly well written dissertation to the heart of the problem w/ the media today, currently residing in the Acela corridor.

• 126 nathkatun7
        May 1, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Well said, LP! Thanks also for sharing the article. Either D.C. media are so dumb and out of touch, or they are deliberately participating in GOP sabotaging of President Obama. I am inclined to believe the later.

28. 127 Ladyhawke
    May 1, 2013 at 3:55 pm

BLAME WHERE BLAME IS DUE

A Word on “Obamabot”-ism

by Michael Tomasky

——————————–

I don’t mind being called an Obamabot. I mean, I’ve written a few columns about the guy that were brutal, toughing than anything Dowd’s written, especially at the time of the debt ceiling fiasco. But I understand the game, and it doesn’t bother me.

I have something I wish to make crystal clear, however. If it seems to you (I mean you, pumpkinface!) that I’m always excusing Obama, you’re misreading me. I am instead seeking to cast blame where it properly belongs. And that is almost always the Republican Party. I’ve said all this a jillion times before, but it is simply not a mainstream political party in the traditional American sense. It is a radical oppositionalist faction, way beyond the normal American parameters both in terms of ideology and tactics. And that needs to be pointed out, unfortunately, again and again and again.

Just today, Pat Toomey said of the background-check bill:

“In the end it didn’t pass because we’re so politicized. There were some on my side who did not want to be seen helping the president do something he wanted to get done, just because the president wanted to do it.”

——————————————–

29. May 1, 2013 at 3:59 pm

West Wing fantasies part 2…..May 1rst edition.

30. 129 criquet
    May 1, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Wasn’t this guy born in Canada?

31. 137 yardarm756
    May 1, 2013 at 4:24 pm

In the year 2013, the Lord came unto Noah, Who was now living in America and said:

“Once again, the earth has become wicked and over-populated, and I see the end of all flesh before me.” “Build another Ark and save 2 of every living thing along with a few good humans.”

He gave Noah the blueprints, saying:
    “You have 6 months to build theArk before I will start the unending rain for 40 days and 40 nights.”

Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his yard – but no Ark.”Noah!,” He roared, “I’m about to start the rain! Where is the Ark?”

“Forgive me, Lord,” begged Noah, “but things have changed.”
    “I needed a Building Permit.”
    “I’ve been arguing with the Boat Inspector about the need for a sprinkler system.”

“My homeowners association claim that I’ve violated the
    Neighborhood by-laws by building the Ark in my back yard and exceeding the height limitations. We had to go to the local Planning Committee for a decision.”

“Then the City Council and the Electricity Company demanded a shed load of money for the future costs of moving power lines and other overhead obstructions, to clear the passage for the Ark’s move to the sea. I told them that the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear none of it.”

“Getting the wood was another problem. There’s a ban on cutting local trees in order to save the Greater Spotted Barn Owl.”

“I tried to convince the environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the owls – but no go!”

“When I started gathering the animals, PETA took me to court. They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their will. They argued the accommodations were too restrictive and it was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space.”

“Then the Environmental Protection Agency ruled that I couldn’t build the Ark until they’d conducted an environmental impact study on Your proposed flood.”

“I’m still trying to resolve a complaint with the Human Rights Commission on how many minorities I’m supposed to hire for my building crew.”

“The Immigration Dept. Is checking the visa status of most of the people who want to work.”

“The labor unions say I can’t use my sons. They insist I have to hire only union workers with ark-building experience.”

“To make matters worse, the IRS seized all my assets, claiming I’m trying to leave the country illegally with endangered species.”
    “So, forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least 10 years for me to finish this ark.”

“Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine and a rainbow stretched across the sky.”

Noah looked up in wonder and asked, “You mean you’re not going to destroy the world?”

“No,” said the Lord. ” The Government beat me to it.”

May 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Oh, Jake Tapper. If only you hadn’t blocked me on Twitter. I have your show on CNN muted now; glad to see you’re off the Boston street corner, near where they keep the ambulances you’ve been chasing. Spotted two guests of yours when I looked over at the TV: first, Rep. Peter King of NY, the media whore (and, usually, I like people from NY); second, the totally disgraced Michael Chertoff of GWB’s ousted administration. All Republicans; all the time. Worse yet, the first seeks to impart FEAR into all of our lives, and the second has absolutely no inside information from the Obama leadership team, but keeps talking.

So, I shall wait to hear others speak, who aren’t any of these three. The attorneys in Boston for the new “suspects” are to be speaking with the press there, soon.

33. May 1, 2013 at 4:48 pm

West Wing fantasies part.3………..Rather suprised this is coming from NBC’s political unit. Looks like some may be waking up.

May 1, 2013 at 4:55 pm

This is lovely, R/Td by Dr. James Peterson:

35. May 1, 2013 at 4:56 pm

A This & That very-ish soon-ish, promise-ish.

36. 145 Jovie
    May 1, 2013 at 5:10 pm

• 146 carolyn
      May 1, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Restoration of the Everglades….that is a big deal, and so important. I believe that when President Obama’s eight years are over….sigh…..people are going to be absolutely gobsmacked at what has been accomplished for good in this country. These good things are done out of the spotlight, but they are done. This is just one thing, the tip of the iceberg.

37. 147 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    May 1, 2013 at 5:23 pm

38. 148 Ladyhawke
    May 1, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Joy Reid ‏@TheReidReport 30 Apr

———————————————-

Pundits: “Obama failed to close Gitmo.” Reality: Congress blocked closing Gitmo starting in 2009 by a 96-0 Senate vote.

———————————————————–

39. 149 Jovie
    May 1, 2013 at 5:30 pm

40. May 1, 2013 at 5:34 pm

41. 154 anniebella
    May 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm

POTUS selected another North Carolinian, ex-Congressman Mel Watt.

42. May 1, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Full length version:

43. May 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm

44. May 1, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Anyone interested in OFA there is an online policy meeting tonight at 6pm EDT. Link here to sign up. I can’t get them so don’t know what they are like. http://tinyurl.com/cd6kdfg

45. 161 Jovie
    May 1, 2013 at 5:50 pm

The RNC has really done it this time-

**This is the lowest they can get- attention needs action**

46. May 1, 2013 at 6:03 pm

47. 164 africa
    May 1, 2013 at 6:03 pm

48. 165 nathkatun7
    May 1, 2013 at 6:50 pm

The GOP’s well coordinated obstruction of President Obama, aided and abated by the media, is really nothing new for some of us who are old enough to remember what happened to Mayor Harold Washington, the first and the only Black Mayor of Chicago. In my humble opinion what the GOP and the media are doing to President Obama is aimed at sending a message to future non-whites, and especially African Americans, who may want to run for President. The only non-whites who are tolerated by powerful interests in this country are those who do as they are told. Any non-white who is serious, intelligent, independent, and self-confident is an absolute no, no! This is why it’s possible to attack President Obama as an arrogant tyrant who has already taken away, or plans on taking away, the rights and freedom of God-fearing American citizens; but at the same time attack him for being a weak, effeminate, incapable leader who does not measure up to what it takes to be President. Surely both of these characterization of President Obama can’t be true. Yet, they are routinely voiced by both the people on the right and the left, in what appears to me to be a deliberate effort to make sure that the first African American elected President, who by any objective standards is an exceptional leader, is not allowed to succeed. The Powerful interests did everything they can to deny President Obama a second term and failed. But that doesn’t mean that they gave up. This is round two. Since they couldn’t manipulate the majority of Americans to vote against him they are now doing everything to stop him from governing effectively. The way I see it, It’s now up to us, the majority of people who voted for the President, to make sure that they don’t succeed. That’s why I believe we must do everything in our power to defeat Republicans in the 2014 Congressional elections.

RSS OFA