May

Did Christians apologize for Timothy McVeigh?

Here’s a bio on Dr. Seema Jilani:

Seema Jilani is a physician who specializes in Pediatrics, and concentrates on International Health Care. She has worked in Israel, Palestine, Sudan, Lebanon, Egypt and the Balkans. She has been a freelance journalist for Pacifica Radio for eight years. Her radio documentary, Israel and Palestine: The Human Cost of The Occupation, was nominated for The Peabody Award. Dr. Jilani’s work has been published in The Guardian, The Independent, Newsweek, The Washington Post and McClatchy Newspapers.

Dr. Jilani also blogs on Huffington Post, and yesterday posted the most extraordinary piece, detailing the unmasked bigotry she suffered at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner.

Left without keys to her room, she tried to get into the ballroom to find her husband and retrieve her keys. Security staff disdainfully told her “no”, saying she had no ticket—something which didn’t seem to preclude Caucasian attendees easily passing through the security cordon.

Finally, the truth came out:

When I asked why the security representatives offered to personally escort white women without tickets downstairs while they watched me flounder, why they threatened to call the Secret Service on me, I was told, “We have to be extra careful with you all after the Boston bombings.”

So there you have it: the putatively Muslim Boston bombers once again damned an entire religion. The first organizations to come out with condolences for the victims were Muslim. I remember more than one Twitter feed feeling relief when the bombers’ pictures were released, and shown to be white; “Thank God they weren’t Muslim” read one tweet. Unfortunately, that proved not to be the case. They were Muslim, and the community had to once again apologize en masse for the actions of two men.

And yet, I don’t recall the larger Christian community rending its garments when Timothy McVeigh was arrested, tried, convicted, and executed for the Oklahoma City bombing. His warped view of Christianity contributed as much to his actions as his warped view of the American commonwealth. When a “Christian” bombs a clinic providing abortion services, I never see prelates and pastors rushing the cameras to apologize for someone who twisted Christian beliefs. Often, I see quite the opposite, with the more reactionary clergy and spokesmen trying to justify the acts.

Being part of the “mainstream” means never having to say you’re sorry. Of course Timothy McVeigh and abortion clinic bombers don’t represent all of Christianity. But neither do the Tsarnaev brothers or Osama bin Laden represent all of Islam. Why are they taken to be the norm, rather than the Muslim cab driver attacked in Washington D.C., a military veteran, who was told by his assailant—an aviation executive, who should have learned some grace in his life—”I will slice your fucking throat right now”? Why is Ahmedinajad of Iran the face of Islam in this country, rather than this:

The answer is simple: we need an enemy.

With the demise of the Soviet Union, the world became amorphous, with no easily identifiable “bad guys”. That’s not good for the business of war; as General Smedley Butler famously said, “War is a racket”. War spending helped keep the US economy afloat after World War II, right through the cold war, and into today. No one can honestly say that the US needs as huge a defense budget as it has now; the threats just aren’t there; and any threats which do exist could be better dealt with multilaterally.

The 2001 attacks finally gave the war party the enemy it had lacked during the 1990s. And the war party seized that opportunity with gusto.

But the idea of the “Other” wasn’t born in 2001. It is a current through American history. Various ethnicities have functioned as it throughout the years. Domestically, people of color are still viewed as Other; Muslims serve that role for the war party. And a disturbingly large percentage of the shrinking white population seizes on these visions of Otherness so as to define itself in opposition.

It’s no surprise that Mitt Romney won 60% of the white vote. What is quite surprising—and quite hopeful—is that it didn’t matter; he still lost the election. The US is going through that long-dreaded demographic shift, the one of which Pat Buchanan sounded the klaxon alarm throughout the 1990s. White America will become just another community in the mix that is our country. Everyone will be an “Other”; only when that happens, will we be able to, perhaps, see beyond labels. When white privilege ebbs away because there just aren’t enough angry white people, then all that will be left will be a common humanity. As the US will remain a superpower for the foreseeable future, that can only be a good thing, both for us at home and for the world.

But, really, I want an apology from Pat Robertson for Timothy McVeigh. The 168 dead and the country deserve it.

130 Responses to “Did Christians apologize for Timothy McVeigh?”

May 8, 2013 at 2:58 pm
    May 8, 2013 at 3:00 pm
    May 8, 2013 at 3:01 pm
  4. May 8, 2013 at 3:02 pm

welcome to post-racial America

May 8, 2013 at 3:34 pm

As soon as we find it, maybe we Americans can make it a “tourist trap”!

5. 26 carolyn
    May 8, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I am so glad someone finally asked this question. I live in Oklahoma City, and NOONE got all worked up about “Christians” being responsible for this tragedy, which certainly killed more than the Marathon bombing. This needs to be drilled home. When I read that article yesterday, I was furious and sick to my stomach. I’m so glad she wrote it in the HuffPost which does get wide dissemination. White “Christians” certainly need to examine themselves closely and make some radical changes.

On another topic……I’ve been reading much about the Democrats not standing up and standing with President Obama. I feel the same way. So, I thought, who in the Senate can I write? NOT my two Sens…….Coburn & Inhofe. So, I wrote Sherrod Brown and Debbie Stabenow, who both accept emails from out of state. I included in Senator Brown’s email that I was born in Ohio, and in Senator Stabenow’s email that I lived in Michigan. I told them I have “adopted” them as my reps since my two senators certainly do not represent me.
    Perhaps all of us need to write and nudge these Senators about standing with the President. The offices count numbers on certain subjects. If these requests pile up, I think we will see a difference. I remember the importance of numbers from working in the Senate, and heard an aide on TV the other day reiterate the importance of numbers.

6. May 8, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Where even the Heritage Foundation has to disavow its own study:

The Heritage Foundation is disavowing past recommendations regarding race, IQ, and immigration from Jason Richwine, the co-author of a recent study by the group claiming undocumented immigrants would add $6.3 trillion to the deficit if granted legal status.

“This is not a work product of The Heritage Foundation. Its findings in no way reflect the positions of The Heritage Foundation,” Mike Gonzales, vice president of communications at Heritage, said in a statement. “Nor do the findings affect the conclusions of our study on the cost of amnesty to the U.S. taxpayer.”

• May 8, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Or at least disavow the racist who conducted its immigration study.

• 29 pkayden
      May 8, 2013 at 5:19 pm

If a racist writes an anti-immigration report, why should anyone take it seriously? Republicans should be shamed by the fact that so many racists are attracted to their party.

May 8, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Putting “Republicans” and “shamed” in the same sentence looks odd to me for some reason. Can’t put my finger on it. Oh, I know, they have no shame. Yeah, that’s it.

7. 31 japa21
    May 8, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Good post, LL. When the Soviet Union imploded I would tell everybody I could think of, “Watch out, Americans need somebody to hate and be afraid of.” at that time, I predicted an increase in hate crimes in the US, and there was. However, as you state, 9/11 was able to create a coalescing of that hate and fear into a single entity, the dreaded Muslims. And through real contortions, the RW was able to expand that to anybody with some other than white skin.

And no, not only were there no apologists for McVeigh, there were none for the Atlanta bombetr or people who bombed abortion clinics or killed abortion doctors.

I remember after 9/11 how there was a call out for moderate Mulsims to condemn terrorism. And those condemnaqtions did come forth,although you almost never heard them. Well, where is the call for Christians to condemn violence done in Christ’s name? There isn’t any.

May 8, 2013 at 3:41 pm

No one has ever even “apologized” to the Native Americans or the Africans we brought here as slaves. Because, you know, Founding Fathers.

8. 33 Jovie
    May 8, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Rt

• 34 pkayden
      May 8, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Does the fact that Reid/Senate Dems refused to change the filibuster rules have anything to do with “Republicans standing in the way?”

9. 35 Jovie
    May 8, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Jeeze! They really hate this president, and more so that he won!

10. 37 Jovie
    May 8, 2013 at 3:32 pm
  11. May 8, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Thanks LL. As a visible minority, having lived with the stereotyping/racism all my life, it’s as ugly and debilitating as any disease. You never get used to it and there’s no fighting it.

May 8, 2013 at 3:38 pm

And no one who hasn’t gone through it can ever fully understand it. But we can hate it and try not to follow it, all our lives.

• 44 Patricia Walker
        May 8, 2013 at 7:22 pm

So right. He who feels it knows it. I live it every day right here in NY. You shrug it off and move on.

May 8, 2013 at 7:41 pm

It’s the ability to “shrug off” that I find amazing (when you haven’t gone through it, in the same way).

I guess it’s because you have decided to be a winner, and, thus, you are.

I can speak a little to the age discrimination thingie, although it’s a minor issue and far less meaningful comparison, and I don’t go looking for it because I, too, am a winner. It’s something my friends and I laugh off, when some ignorant people look at you like, well, she’s too old to have anything interesting to say to me, so I’ll move on.

My two-years-older-than-I friend said she was in a grocery store checkout line once, and the cashier and bagger were joking about a topic she was familiar with … so the first thing she did was cheerily join in and make a little social comment about it to them.

She said the looks on their far-younger faces, after they turned to her, were something akin to:

“Oh. IT spoke.”

And we laughed about it.

Again, no comparison, but it gives us an inkling of ignorant behavior that discriminates against the “other.”

• May 8, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Outstanding post LL! Thanks for that and the link to this story.

My cousin has a Muslim last name. She converted to Islam in her twenties when she got married. After her divorce, she keep her name and went to theology school, ultimately becoming a UCC pastor. Now in her late 50′s, she gets the “extra special” treatment going through airports all the time. Sometimes even wearing her collar (that basically screams, I’m Christian and I’m clergy) doesn’t stop the harassment when people hear her name. There are so many ignorant, bigots in this country.

12. 48 theo67
    May 8, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Why exactly are these GOP witnesses on Benghazi being called “whistle-blowers”? What exactly are they blowing the whistle on? And how are questions like, “did you get the sense”, or “what was your impression” relevant in providing additional facts on the case?

• 50 Jovie
      May 8, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Leading the witness!

• 51 pkayden
      May 8, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I give you two thumbs up for being able to watch that nonsense. Can’t do it. I refuse to watch the Rethugs ranting and raving about a non-issue in a vain attempt to destroy President Obama (and soon to be President Clinton).

How many diplomats were murdered around the world when Bush II was President?

• 52 theo67
        May 8, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Don’t give me any thumbs up – I’ve been getting the summary info from twitter. I can’t bear to see right wing liars in action.

13. 53 Linda
    May 8, 2013 at 3:46 pm

North Carolina May Force Teens To Get Notarized Parental Consent Before Getting STD Tests

• 54 theo67
      May 8, 2013 at 3:47 pm

There are some states in this country where progress will be a foreign concept, and ignorance will prevail for generations to come.

• 56 99ts
      May 8, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Better that they keep the disease and spread it around – the GOP members move in mysterious ways.

14. May 8, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Racism and prejudice takes on various forms and flavors and is never justified. But what’s important is that we speak up and fight it, whether it’s directed towards us or someone else. I am indebted to Dr. Jilani for speaking up so eloquently. It made me exceedingly sad to read it, but I was also heartened by the viewpoints of various commentators.

And thanks, LL for another great post.

May 8, 2013 at 3:56 pm

The National Rifle Association (NRA)’s overtures to children have come under fire after its annual conference last week, which advertised weapons for children and advocated storing firearms in kids’ rooms just on the heels of the fatal shooting of a two year old by her five year old brother. A ThinkProgress review of the NRA children’s magazine, InSights, found another piece of disturbing advice: kids should build target ranges inside their homes.

The article, “BB, It’s Cold Outside,” ran in the January 2013 edition of InSights. The spread features a picture of a young-looking boy holding a BB gun next to a fireplace, and is addressed to children who are “shooting a real gun now” but can’t wait to practice until it’s warm enough outside to make firing one fun. The NRA article recommends that, instead, the child build a home BB gun range to keep up.
    While the article does tell kids to follow standard firing range safety rules and ask adult permission before setting up the indoor range, here are some other tips it offers:

– “Eliminate ricochet with a proper backstop. You have no idea how bouncy a tiny metal ball can be until you hear one whizzing by your head.”
    – “There are plenty of indoor range setups you can find on the internet.”
    – “You don’t want people opening a door or looking in a window to see a BB gun pointing at them.”
    – “While you’re thinking of cool stuff to use as targets, also keep in mind how you’re going to set them up in your range. Hanging targets work great, by the way.”
    – “When you’re trying to improve accuracy, BB guns are the best. If you have a habit of flinching when pulling the trigger, BB guns will help you work that out.”

16. 59 japa21
    May 8, 2013 at 4:08 pm
  17. 60 Jovie
    May 8, 2013 at 4:14 pm
  18. 61 Jovie
    May 8, 2013 at 4:16 pm

GOP blocks budget conference for fourth time
    By Ramsey Cox
    Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) tried for the fourth time to get Republicans to agree to go to conference on the House and Senate budgets.
    Warner asked for the unanimous consent agreement on Wednesday, but Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) once again objected unless Democrats agreed to prevent the conference committee from raising the debt ceiling or taxes.

-/-/

And the beat goes on…

19. 62 Jovie
    May 8, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Vitter hits EPA pick with 653 questions
    By GLENN THRUSH | 5/8/13 2:01 PM EDT
    David Vitter seems to have set a new record.

Sen. Vitter, a Louisiana Republican with close ties to the gas and oil industries, has already sent a whopping 653 questions to President Obama’s nominee to take over the Environmental Protection Agency on a wide range of regulatory topics (and her use of government email accounts) ahead of her Thursday confirmation hearings, according to a Democratic staffer directly involved in the confirmation process.

The nominee, Gina McCarthy, is being subjected to what amounts to a record-shattering barrage of per-confirmation questions from Senate Republicans who have, in all, already submitted more than 1,079 queries.

UPDATE: A Vitter spokesman got back to make two points:

1. Vitter’s staff calculates the total number of “real” — not counting one- or two-word follow-ups — in the 430 range.

2. The volume of questions, according to his staff, isn’t about harassing the nominee. McCarthy deserves more questions because she’s been an assistant administrator at the agency for several years and was present for many of EPA’s most controversial decisions on emissions and other matters. Previous nominees for the post simply didn’t have comparable track records or paper trails, Vitter’s spokesman said.

Sen. James Inhofe, a Republican from the oil-rich state of Oklahoma, has added 145 queries of his own, which would have been quite a bit if not for the Vitter-lanche.

Vitter, by the way, isn’t happy with the responses he’s gotten — and has been looking for answers about the use of apparent faux email addresses used in correspondence with senior EPA officials.

The White House has repeatedly complained that Senate Republicans have been blocking, slow-walking and otherwise attempting to scuttle judicial and administration nominees.

The avalanche of questions, they say, is the latest weapon in the Republican arsenal of obstruction — because the nominees seldom answer the questions to the satisfaction of their GOP interlocutors.

By contrast, Obama’s first EPA administrator, Lisa Jackson, fielded 157 per-confirmation queries; Democrats pelted Bush-era EPA chief Michael Leavitt with 283 of the so-called “questions for the record.”

Wtf?

• 63 Jovie
      May 8, 2013 at 4:23 pm

They are literally blowing government up and the public has no idea .

• 64 theo67
        May 8, 2013 at 5:02 pm

These people were elected into office. They’re doing what they were elected to do – “make the government small enough to drown in a bathtub”, and serve the rich. At least their owners are getting what they paid for. If people want a government that will work for them and represent them, then they need to vote for that government. They need to demand it. There are more Democrats in this country than Republicans.

• 65 nathkatun7
        May 8, 2013 at 5:43 pm

And for NYT, AP, and WashPost columnists, President Obama is to blame for failing to lead. Just imagine, to use Bobfr’s hashtag, if this country had a functioning media, These GOP anarchists would not get away with these obstructionism.

20. 66 Jovie
    May 8, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Break the law, run for congress as a Republican and get off scott free! :)

May 8, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Not quite, because it looks as though the two parties reached an agreement before the court date, and he paid $5K in fees to his ex-wife.

However, he will trespass again, so look for more.

May 8, 2013 at 4:42 pm
  22. 69 57andfemale
    May 8, 2013 at 5:05 pm

When did the blogroll get so fancy?

23. May 8, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Syria …

“Saudi Arabia takes over from Qatar to solve Syria’s crisis”

“There seem to be some important developments with regard to the Syrian opposition and regional patronage over the past few days. Saudi Arabia appears to have taken over from Qatar in dealing with the Syrian opposition, as great powers begin to agree on general principles for a solution in Syria.

According to my sources, 12 members of Syria’s National Coalition met yesterday in Riyadh with Saudi authorities to discuss the coalition and ways to coordinate with the kingdom. The members, including Mohammed Farouk Tayfour, the deputy leader of Syria’s Brotherhood, agreed to let go of Ghassan Hitto, who was chosen as the head of the opposition’s interim government in March. His appointment was widely seen as orchestrated by the Brotherhood, leading several prominent members to suspend their membership at the coalition.

Why is it significant that Saudi Arabia takes a leading role in dealing with the Syrian opposition? Saudi vehemently opposes the dominance of extremist Islamist groups over the opposition. Riyadh made it clear to the opposition members during the meeting in Riyadh that it rejects any role for extremist forces in any future plan in Syria. Riyadh specifically opposes the Brotherhood and jihadi, to be distinguished from Salafi, groups.”

More at: http://www.hhassan.com/2013/05/saudi-arabia-takes-over-from-qatar-to.html

In case anyone was wondering what President Obama, SecDef Hagel and SecState Kerry have been doing re: Syria … halting Qatar’s support of the Brotherhood and having SA engage are not accidents of nature.

#TrustBarack

• 74 Jovie
      May 8, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Don’t depend on the media to tell us anything. All they care about is Benghazi and people trust Clint Eastwood more than POTUS. :(

• 75 theo67
        May 8, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I don’t think even the right wingers trust Clint Eastwood more than POTUS, after that chair incident. Even the right wingers have a line of crazy they won’t cross…

• 76 Jovie
          May 8, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Poll just came out yesterday, in fact Eastwood 13 th most trusted in America
          The president 65th

• 78 cindysweatt
      May 8, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Thank you for this information. I read the post from HuffPo and it just brought me to tears. Then add in the SC election, the Benghazi bs and the stress over the Syrian crisis. I needed to come here and get things straight. I just am sick and tired of all of this crap. The Dems who are fair weather friends get me down the most. Thanks again Bobfr, and all the rest of you.

24. May 8, 2013 at 6:12 pm

A man who equates high school “hookup culture” (which is consensual) with violent sexual assault has no business commanding a freaking marching band, much less an entire military service. He’s part of the problem: Officers covering for other officers who just happen to be rapists. Get out of my Air Force, Asshole!

25. May 8, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Oh no, y’all! Miss Chancellor passed away: ‘Young and the Restless’ star Jeanne Cooper dies at 84

May 8, 2013 at 7:19 pm

She was a legend in that soap opera! May she RIP.

May 8, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Ms. Chancellor have been around for many years, I remember her way back from the Young and Restless. Sorry to hear about this.

26. May 8, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Hellooooooooooooooooo everyone, just getting to work on a This and That, should be done by, oh, 2015ish.

May 8, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Please, Chips, don’t “rush” for us. We’ll wait. Love ya.

• May 8, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Ah, you’re very kind J! So, will 2017 do? :-)

May 8, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Uh, no. No, it won’t.

#WhereDidYaGetThatIdea
          :) :)

• 87 99ts
          May 8, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Just wishing – shame the US doesn’t have a President and a PM – then PBO could swap from one position to another as term limits require.

May 8, 2013 at 7:55 pm

99ts, believe me I don’t think FLOTUS would be to crazy about anything like that. And with all the B.S. this First Family have had to deal with I can’t blame her either.

• 89 99ts
              May 8, 2013 at 8:24 pm

She is such a wonderful 1st lady – guess I am selfish – will be very sad to see them leave the White House – but she will always represent what is good in the US and the world.

May 8, 2013 at 9:56 pm

99ts, Mrs Michelle Obama is a wonderful First Lady, and like you I will be sad when she and POTUS walk out of that White House for good. I seriously think that I am through with politics when the Obama era is over. But I think FLOTUS did this for her husband, she was not in favor of him running for President and POTUS said that if she had said no, he wouldn’t had run. So we have alot to be thankful to FLOTUS for. But she doesn’t like politics and I don’t blame her. Because if I was First Lady and the Republicans lied about my husband, or said something about my kids I would put them in their place once and awhile. But the black folks must keep their cool, they can;’t show the white folks their angry black side. But believe me I will hate when the day of January 2017 gets here. I respect and admire President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama.

May 8, 2013 at 6:31 pm

This could be amusing.

Bachmann could face lawsuit for ‘propagating complete and utter lies’

28. 92 Jovie
    May 8, 2013 at 6:34 pm
  29. 93 99ts
    May 8, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Thank you so much for the post LL – there seems no reason why security at the event could not have escorted Dr Jilani to collect her keys – other than her religion and/or ethnic background.

May 8, 2013 at 6:55 pm

And the sad part is that President Obama, the most all-inclusive President we’ve had, was attending the same dinner, and was totally aware what was going on, in the name of providing “security” to him and the others.

May 8, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I will not reply to this on Twitter, but here’s what this sorry-ass excuse for a human being Republican Texan United States Congressman tweeted out today:

Rep. Steve Stockman ‏@SteveWorks4You

Right now Jodi Arias is regretting not killing an ambassador or Philadelphia infant.

• 99 99ts
      May 8, 2013 at 6:41 pm

They have no shame – and still people vote for them – truly disgusting

May 8, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Yes, and I checked out his T/L and all kinds of people were adding to his super-inflated ego, because of his one original thought this year, maybe this decade, and I couldn’t be a part of it.

31. May 8, 2013 at 6:46 pm
      May 8, 2013 at 6:48 pm

:) :)

• 103 carolyn
        May 8, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I read the heading on the article to my husband who is a psychologist…..it mentions the link between prejudice and cognitive rigidity, and two other factors, and he said this makes sense. The article does not say low IQ, but the three factors are often present in people on the lower end of the bell curve. There is an inability to deal with abstract ideas.

• 104 carolyn
          May 8, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I had to go back and check on the other two characteristics. They are less cognitive flexibility and lower integrative complexity. This is why when we often try to reason with people at the opposite end of the political spectrum, they cannot move cognitively from what they’ve “memorized.” F. Scott Fitzgerald said a sign of high intelligence was the ability to hold two conflicting ideas in one’s mind at the same time. This is what enables people to make giant leaps in invention and reasoning…..to even write a sound argument paper. I’ve noticed this ability on this blog all the time.

• 105 yardarm756
      May 8, 2013 at 8:55 pm

One more thing to add to the rwnj’s list: bare foot, pregnant and now stupid. Don’t forget the six-pack!

32. 106 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    May 8, 2013 at 6:50 pm
  33. 107 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    May 8, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Perfect fit for this thread…

May 8, 2013 at 7:10 pm
      May 8, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Amen. I’ve decided I’m only going to allow myself to think good thoughts after that!

May 8, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Like this, if you’ll pardon the joke (which doesn’t apply to anyone here, luckily):

35. May 8, 2013 at 7:21 pm

#JustImagineIf

#TrustBarack

36. May 8, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Reading all this accounts of neighbors calling Cleveland Police about the house with the kidnappers and the cops saying, what we got no calls,and the crappy 911 operators, all I can think is that Public Enemy was right!

May 8, 2013 at 7:27 pm

After getting repeatedly called about the same address by different people at different times, it should occur to these cops that something is amiss. Unless there was some deeper corruption going on – with those fellas, drugs, $$$$ that the cops were benefiting from, that we are not aware of?!?!?!?

• May 8, 2013 at 7:57 pm

FYI:

“But Cleveland city hall released out a statement that read: “Media reports of multiple calls to the Cleveland police reporting suspicious activity and the mistreatment of women at 2207 Seymour are false.”

Police chief McGrath also disputed the reports, saying that police had checked their records and found only two interactions with Castro. The first, in 2000, was before the first of the victims was abducted. Officers responded to a call by the suspect regarding a fight outside his house. The second, in 2004, was in relation to an incident in which he left an unattended boy on the school bus he was driving.

“If officers in this district had any indication there was a problem, they would have been here, as we have been all over these missing cases,” McGrath told Fox News. Castro was fired from his job as a school bus driver last November.”

• May 8, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I have personal and antecdotal experience with calling police in an urban neighborhod for domestic violence, gunshots etc and either the police comes and barely takes a report, or they comes hours later when the screams and cries have ended, or they never come until the next day.

So excuse me if I don’t automatically believe police organizations who are trying to cover their asses, closing ranks and basically just saying “it wasn’t me”.

37. 117 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    May 8, 2013 at 7:36 pm
      May 8, 2013 at 7:58 pm

But it’s our right to have guns so our kids can kill one another. And ain’t no dam nazi going to take that right away from us.

May 8, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Or Muslim Socialist. Gah.

May 8, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Yea right, I forgot muslim socialists black guy who weren’t born in this country.

May 8, 2013 at 9:41 pm

You know Hate causes you to make a dam fool of yourself and you don’t care one bit that you are making a fool of yourself. That’s these racists extreme right wing nuts who is running the Republican Party these days.

May 8, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Yeah, “that one,” per John McFool.

Ha – the one who just got re-elected by majority vote!!!!

38. 123 yardarm756
    May 8, 2013 at 7:56 pm

It gets worse by the day

May 8, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Ha! At least we can still laugh at ‘em, Sailor Man!

• 125 yardarm756
        May 8, 2013 at 8:38 pm

It ain’t funny anymore. Too many lives are being affected.

May 8, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Well, if we’re taking that route, then we can say it’s been that way for our “journalists” (in recent times) since about the start of the Iraq War. To me, that’s when they stopped serving the public good, but just got in line behind the neo-cons because their corporate bosses said so.

Not sure it’s getting worse on a scale higher than that, but, I agree, it’s definitely without boundaries now and the durability of the incredulous stuff we have to swallow from the MSM – the fact it’s so long-lasting – is defeating our very sense of purpose as a country.

We can’t let it defeat all of us thinking people … although, it’s just so disheartening that IT NEVER ENDS, and sometimes it’s all we can think about, there’s that. Illegitimi non carborundum.

39. May 8, 2013 at 8:19 pm