May

This and That

ThinkProgress: The “whistleblowers” at today’s House Oversight Committee hearing on what really happened in Benghazi, Libya last September were supposed to break the dam that would lead to President Obama’s eventual downfall, in the eyes of conservatives. Instead, these witness actually served to debunk several theories that the right-wing has pushed on Benghazi, leaving the hearing a fizzle for the GOP…..

More here

Photo by Pete Souza

Charles Pierce: There has been quite a bit of hemming and hawing about the death penalty recently. Six states in six years — Maryland most recently, thanks to Esquire’s favorite BFF, Martin O’Malley — have abolished it. Ah, but that’s not to reckon with the great state of Florida, which this week will decide to grease the wheels of state-sanctioned killing, thanks to Governor Rick Scott, who really doesn’t have fk-all to lose at this point.

Governor Bat Boy is poised to sign the Timely Justice Act — Somebody grab Orwell before he throws himself off a cloud — which will restrict the right of Death Row inmates to appeal their sentences. The bill was passed through the legislature with the usual cool reason that we’ve come to expect from Republican state legislatures since the voters of the several states decided to make monkeyhouses out of them in 2010…..

More here

First lady Michelle Obama speaks about the nation’s libraries and museums before handing out the 2013 National Medals for Museum and Library Service to recipients in the East Room of the White House, May 8

Text of the First Lady’s remarks here

A short-ish This and That, more in the morning.

139 Responses to “This and That”

1. 1 4morefor44
    May 8, 2013 at 8:21 pm

forward!!!!!!!

2. 5 Allison
    May 8, 2013 at 8:22 pm

1st?

3. May 8, 2013 at 8:27 pm

My mash-up post will be ready night-owlish.

I’m in charge of the library for the next two days, so I came home early. Gimlets for everyone!

• May 8, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Woooooot, gimlets!!!!

And trust me LL, I need several ….. latest news: Rooney has asked to leave United.

There is only so much more this girl can take.

• May 8, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I offer you the same thing I’m offering my Man U-loving colleague: a hug.

But, hey, you’ll get CR back!

• May 8, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I DON’T WANT CR BACK.

Yikes, sorry for the CAPS – I’m one of those freaks of nature, a United lover who never warmed to CR, no matter how many flippin’ goals he scored.

The thoughts of Rooney leaving and him returning ….. no, no, I can’t take it.

I doubt he will now, though, I think he’d only have come back if Ferguson was still there.

• May 8, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Odd that Rooney is so loyal to Sir Alex that he’d leave. He was used quite less this year.

• May 8, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Apparently he put in transfer request two weeks ago, don’t know if he knew then Fergie was leaving. Shaky relationship with Fergie, but even shakier with Moyes – who sued him for libel for comments in his book after he left Moyes and Everton. Apparently they’ve made up, but I have my doubts. It’s a mess!

• May 8, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Now, as an addendum, serious question: Why do English players seem to have no careers outside of England?

• May 8, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Ooooh, we could be here all night on that one! In recent years the biggest salaries have been in England, so that’s why so few have been tempted abroad, but the problem persists, most English players are waaaaay less technically gifted than their European/African/South American counterparts, so not many of them have attracted any transfer interest. Continental European clubs have a soft spot for players who can actually trap a ball.

Then there’s the eternal reluctance of English players to leave home, the fear of different languages and food terrifying them. Geography, too, isn’t always a strong point, eg Mark Draper, an Aston Villa player from a few years back:

“I’d like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona.”

• May 8, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Hah!

In this regard, Yanks are a bit more adventurous. Jozy Altidore is the star of this season’s Eredivisie. And of course, the Prem is home to several American players.

But neither the English nor we will taste World Cup glory until we get more players in the world’s best leagues.

• 15 99ts
      May 8, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I so love that LL – in my working times I always used to go home early the days I was late to work – “just to make up for being late”

4. May 8, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Good Evening Chips, TOD….hope everyone had a wonderful day. Congrats on first 4more!

5. May 8, 2013 at 8:40 pm

May 8, 1911 Legendary blues man Robert Johnson was born. He passed away at age 27. He was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1986 and in 2003 he was ranked 5th in Rolling Stone’s list of the 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.

6. May 8, 2013 at 8:41 pm
    • 20 99ts
      May 8, 2013 at 9:44 pm

“And to be holding out hope for a decade and to finally have those prayers answered is just probably the best Mother’s Day gift…that these families will receive.”

The wonderful, thoughtful Mrs O.

7. May 8, 2013 at 8:43 pm
    • May 8, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I posted that in the last thread. Shocking, ain’t it? *snark*

• May 8, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Just catching up, sorry for re-post…..They are trying to disown their own study now. I actually think this is a good thing, b/c it neutralizes one part of the right flank….in the end we want a bill to pass (or at least have the ends justify the means) in my case.

• May 8, 2013 at 8:51 pm

The problem is that it will probably pass the Senate, but unless Orange Man allows a free vote in the House, it’s dead. Then again, if that happens, it will be another shot in the foot on part of the GOP heading into 2014.

• May 8, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Agree, but I think there is a better than 50/50 chance it will pas the House….just don’t know what the final product will look like after Goddlate waters it down. One interesting dynamic is Ryan/Rubio both trashed the Heritage study, before we found out one of the authors was a racist S.O.B. They were arguing budget gimmicks (Dynamic scoring)

• 27 99ts
        May 8, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I keep wondering about the IQ of people who elect the likes of Sanford???

• May 8, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Hope you’re feeling better LP?

• May 8, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Yes a bit better Chips, thanks for asking. I took a long nap this afternoon. My professor is going to let me take my final on Monday, instead of tomorrow. So just gonna recoup over a long weekend. How are things on your end?

• May 8, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I have found that naps are palliatives for just about any illness.

• May 8, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Yes, it was about timing for me. If I tried taking one at 6, I would have been screwed. I was knocked out for 4 hours…would have ruined my whole night.

• May 8, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Good to hear you’ve been given the extra time LP, this must be a nightmare when you need to be in the very best of health. We will bully you in to sleeping endlessly over the next couple of days so you can recharge those batteries, so be warned.

All’s excellent at my end LP, apart from my incurable Manchester United woes……

• May 8, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I heard the news…….I don’t know how I would take it. It’s like John Wooden or Red Auerbach leaving the pitch. My sympathies go out to you. Closest thing I had, is when Bobby Cox, of the Atlanta Braves retired a few years ago. BTW your bullying has already worked…I was berated by you and other TOD’ers yesterday, so I consciously slept in today and than zonked out again in the afternoon!

8. 35 vitaminlover
    May 8, 2013 at 8:53 pm

What is so important about President Obama that these whiney hineys are trying to compare this Benghazi situation to Watergate? They are truly reaching aren’t they?

• May 8, 2013 at 8:58 pm

They’re on a feedback loop.

1. Obama is evil
      2. Everything he does is evil
      3. His response to Benghazi must be evil.
      4. Wait, we’re not finding anything.
      5. That means the evil must be well hidden.
      6. We must dig deeper.

And so on.

9. May 8, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Oh, so this is what the missus has been up to during her unemployment: teaching Stewie the wonderpup to shake paws. And he does! It took her only a couple of days. He’s ready for commercials now.

10. May 8, 2013 at 9:00 pm
    May 8, 2013 at 9:10 pm

The Lord your God has an axe to grind with Nancy Grace! LMAO!

12. May 8, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Unless you are one of the first Americans, unless you are a Native American, you came from someplace else. That’s why we’ve always defined ourselves as a nation of immigrants. And we’ve always been better off for it.”

—President Obama Tell your story: link below

• May 8, 2013 at 9:32 pm

LP,

Glad that you’re feeling better, even better that you have an understanding prof! (The sickest I’ve ever been was with strep throat when I was about 12 years old. My temp was well over 100 degrees.)

Here’s a brief article for you stash away for a future “Team Profile” post:

WASHINGTON – Deborah K. Jones, a Santa Fe resident nominated by President Barack Obama as the next ambassador to Libya, vowed on Tuesday to pursue Islamic militants in Benghazi who last year killed four Americans, including the former Libyan ambassador….
      On Tuesday, Jones — a career envoy and former ambassador to Kuwait who has kept a home base in Santa Fe since 1991 — aimed to reassure the Senate committee that she is ready to lead in Libya….

(The ABQ site asks users to answer 2 questions before you can view the article.)

13. May 8, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Menu for tonight.

I took a short cut. I bought a Costco whole roast chicken. For 5 bucks. Really, if you’ve never had one, GO NOW.
    Roasted brussel sprouts.

And about to make another gimlet.

14. May 8, 2013 at 9:29 pm

“For more than three decades Eugene Allen worked in the White House, a black man unknown to the headlines. During some of those years, harsh segregation laws lay upon the land. He trekked home every night, his wife, Helene, keeping him out of her kitchen. At the White House, he worked closer to the dirty dishes than to the large desk in the Oval Office. Helene didn’t care; she just beamed with pride. President Truman called him Gene. President Ford liked to talk golf with him.” He saw eight presidential administrations come and go, often working six days a week. “I never missed a day of work”

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Take time to read the article the movie was based on if you have the chance, or at least bookmark it…

15. May 8, 2013 at 9:34 pm

And for a laugh, check out the name of the reporter who filed this Boston Globe article:

Wayward turkey smashes through window of Brookline home, escapes through the back
    By Todd Feathers, Globe Correspondent

16. 65 Ladyhawke
    May 8, 2013 at 9:36 pm

The John Bolton Acknowledgment That Should End The Benghazi Scandal Mongering

By JEREMY HOLDEN (Media Matters)

——————————-

Here’s Bolton’s response:

When the attack began, no one could know when it would end. No one could know what the geographical limitation was. Was it simply an attack in Benghazi? Could terrorists be poised to attack the embassy in Tripoli? Were other posts around the Middle East in jeopardy? So the notion that you’re just going to sit and wait for this to work itself out left a lot of other people at risk.

But it’s precisely the fact that it was unclear that the embassy in Tripoli was safe that informed the decision over whether to send a second reinforcement team away from the embassy. NBC News reported that Department of Defense officials confirmed that a second unit was denied authorization to leave Tripoli for Benghazi during the night of the attack, in part because the security situation in Libya remained unclear:

———————————————

17. May 8, 2013 at 9:37 pm

God, I do love the gimlets that I make. #foodieNdrinkie

18. May 8, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Don’t see the usual Pennsylvanians on this thread, but this is good news for that beautiful state:

• 68 jackiegrumbacher
      May 8, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I’m here, Arapaho, and I’m trying to think about the 25 percent who actually think this incompetent, corrupt imbecile deserves re-election. But we can’t afford to be complacent. Big bucks will pour into the state to keep the Koch Brothers lackey, Corbett, in office. We have to work like it’s a presidential election and we need a Dem candidate who’s will into to work with us.

May 8, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I’m sure he’s dying to know what was on the menu.

20. May 8, 2013 at 9:41 pm

And the British are coming…

Love how popular POTUS is in the UK. Regardless of whether the PM is Gordon Brown or David Cameron, the PM hopes that some of PBO’s fairy dust magic rubs off on him!

21. May 8, 2013 at 9:43 pm
    • 78 jackiegrumbacher
      May 8, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I despair of my fellow man when more people think the economy destroying Republicans are better at the economy than Democrats. Do people put their brains in a drawer when they answer these questions?

• 79 99ts
        May 8, 2013 at 10:52 pm

And better at gun control!!!!!!!!!!!! – Perhaps it is just that Republicans are better at destroying the economy and Gun Control

• 80 Obama Grandmama
        May 8, 2013 at 11:04 pm

I do believe the medias reporting and treatment of the GOP’s position as being credible by not being factual in their reporting influences the general public.

22. May 8, 2013 at 9:48 pm
  23. May 8, 2013 at 9:51 pm
      May 8, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I agree Mr. Hargrove. I think the Dem who lost in South Carolina did that.

• 93 0388jojothecat
        May 9, 2013 at 12:09 am

That’s what I told the young man calling for donations for the DCCC or D NC…..Dems can’t when if they want to be GOP lite in red states. If they are going to run away from President Obama don’t ask me for money.

• 94 jackiegrumbacher
      May 8, 2013 at 10:36 pm

If you are a Dem and run away from a president who has an approval rating over 50 percent, while your party is at 32, you are a FOOL!!

• 95 theo67
        May 8, 2013 at 10:41 pm

True. But, then again, these are the same people who quivered in fear over voting for something that 90% of the country was overwhelmingly calling for, because of a tiny minority of the country’s lunatic fringe.

• 96 Obama Grandmama
          May 8, 2013 at 11:08 pm

When PBO said 90% of the Democrats voted for gun control that should have given them a better poll result than the Republicans. That gun issue makes me wonder about how the polling question was asked!

24. 97 Jovie
    May 8, 2013 at 9:52 pm

ON TAP THURSDAY: The Senate Environment and Public Works Committee is scheduled to vote Thursday morning on Gina McCarthy, President Obama’s choice to run the Environmental Protection Agency.

McCarthy, who is currently the EPA’s top air quality official, is unlikely to get much GOP support — she has attracted much more resistance than other members of Obama’s second-term green team.

A lingering question Wednesday evening is whether committee Republicans, who say they haven’t gotten sufficient answers to their many questions, will seek to postpone the vote.

Several committee Republicans met in the Capitol early Wednesday evening.

Sens. David Vitter (R-La.), who is the panel’s ranking member, Mike Crapo (R-Idaho), John Boozman (R-Ark.), Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) and John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) were the lawmakers E2-Wire spotted.

Lawmakers said little after the meeting. But another committee Republican, Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.), said there might be a GOP request to postpone the vote. “I think there will be, yeah,” Inhofe said.
    -/-/

They’re just stopping everything now. ITs completely a no on everything.

May 8, 2013 at 9:56 pm

LL do you like Simon and Garfunkel? If you do, perhaps at some point one of your night owl music threads could be dedicated to them? :) :)

26. May 8, 2013 at 9:57 pm
    • 103 nathkatun7
      May 8, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Lovely Plains, I glad to know you are feeling better. It really sucks to be sick during finals. Any way, I wanted to say that I am one 75% who voted for the President. Frankly I am surprised that the percentage is not higher than this. African Americans in my my age group, who vividly still remember the Jim crow period, were probably more conscious, and more outraged, than any one else, by all the GOP voter suppression schemes.

• May 8, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Thanks nathkatun. 75% is still a huge % considering not all people are registered, transportation issues, i.d. law’s like you mentioned etc…BTW, are you familiar w/ the story of the Butler I posted up thread? You being of that age, may find that article very interesting/relatable, along w/ the movie.

• 105 nathkatun7
          May 8, 2013 at 11:54 pm

I agree the % was huge, but here is a well kept secret : older Black Americans have always voted in much higher percentages that’s usually diluted, when people analyze the black vote, because younger blacks, before 2008, have not been very passionate about voting. Yes, I am familiar with Mr. Eugene Allen’s story — a story that’s very typical of AA experience in this country. I read that article when it was first published, but I’ve not seen the movie. Most AA in their 60’s and older still remember segregation, both the “de jure” segregation that was primarily in the South, and the “de facto” segregation which was practiced throughout the country.

27. May 8, 2013 at 10:29 pm
    May 8, 2013 at 10:31 pm

So busy running after the limelight Cruz messes up on timelines in Senate.

• 108 0388jojothecat
      May 9, 2013 at 12:02 am

Instead of showboating at the NRA Hate Fest maybe he should have been preparing is amendments…..

29. 109 MightyPamela
    May 8, 2013 at 10:36 pm

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=PBO Exhausting day – started PT – whew. Will give it up now, back in the morning with the specs on the New Moon/Solar Eclipse! It’s going to be beaut! Hugs all around…. Light the candles. Times they are a-changin’…..

May 8, 2013 at 10:40 pm

If I’m reading his T/L correctly, this “retired AF officer, former chief GITMO prosecutor,” who’s apparently taking on the GOP and Morning Joe, and has all kinds of high-level insights and isn’t afraid to speak his mind, and is posting tweets about the rise in the stock market, adding “I blame Obama,” sounds like just the kind of fresh voice we would enjoy joining us on TOD! I’m following him from this point on (maybe some of you do, already!):

May 8, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Hey, Chips, you taught me well – nothing ventured; nothing gained:

• 112 Jovie
      May 8, 2013 at 10:46 pm

They know what they did and are trying to turn this President into bush.
      And Joe is campaigning for himself everyday on tv, he is running for something on 3 years .
      Don’t know what, but he is all up in the republican talking points like he is running.

31. 114 forus50
    May 8, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I don’t know who this person is but do agree watching Nancy Grace is worse than the death penalty. :-0

May 8, 2013 at 10:44 pm

So. Little dicks, Jake Tapper and Chris Hayes, are spreading around Charles Ramsey’s rap sheet? Really???? They wouldn’t have HALF the civic duty this man did. How dare they!

• 118 Jovie
      May 8, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Typical Chris Hayes trying to impress his only viewership, the white libertarians like Jonathan Turley .

May 8, 2013 at 10:52 pm

It’s disgusting.

• 120 nathkatun7
          May 9, 2013 at 12:03 am

I agree with you, DF, these people in the media are “disgusting.” I am thankful that they no longer have total monopoly on what people read, see, and hear. Otherwise, this country would be in a much worse state than it is.

• May 8, 2013 at 11:18 pm

I was just telling my Mom the sleezy media is digging up his background to discredit him and to dump on him…….I hope it backfires and people attack the sleezie media and not Charles. This man risked his life and put himself in the media hight. He did not think of himself and the problems it would bring.

• 122 99ts
      May 8, 2013 at 10:58 pm

And they would have said “domestic dispute” and walked away. Got to take down the black guy – he couldn’t possibly be a hero.

May 9, 2013 at 12:18 am

Charles Rasmey may not be a perfect man, but he risk his life to help someone else. He could have walk away and said I’m getting involved, but he didn’t do that. And he is not some handsome guy with movie star looks, but ask the 3 ladies who were held hostage for 10 years if all that matter to them, and they would tell you no. Hell No!!!!!!!! It only matter to the media, who are sleaze bags and racists and just plain stupid folks.

33. May 8, 2013 at 10:48 pm
    • 126 Jovie
      May 8, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Nope because they live in that bubble and inside The beltway nightmare, this President is not highly regarded.
      Outside the Beltway, he does good.

May 8, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Common sense that everyone should understand!

May 8, 2013 at 11:08 pm

More good news (sometimes ya gotta look hard for it, but, hey):

36. 130 yardarm756
    May 8, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Real sick mofo

• 131 0388jojothecat
      May 8, 2013 at 11:43 pm

The NRA Lobby is lower than pond scum……..

May 8, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Anyone who can support 4 and 5 year olds having rifles which can kill other kids and adults, speaks volume what kind of lowlife they are. To go after this father who lost his child in such a senseless manner, shows these are a bunch of lowlife heartless bastards who only purpose is to sell as many guns as they can.

May 9, 2013 at 12:05 am

I will never have any respect for people like Tom Selleck and other NRA members who refuse to speak up when they see the NRA or any gun lobbying group doing wrong.

• 134 EricFive
          May 9, 2013 at 5:14 am

The NRA leadership, by words and actions, are perfect examples of pure EVIL. They react to tragedy, loss and human suffering the way I imagine Satan would.

• 135 yardarm756
        May 8, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Agreed. But not all members deserve that label.

May 8, 2013 at 11:45 pm

FLOTUS is a gem. She will put Let’s Move on hold to allow the people to have afew cookies. How sweet of her to do that.

May 9, 2013 at 12:35 am

I think I heard Mark Knoller knocking the WH door down cause FLOTUS said she would put Let’s Move on hold for awhile so they could have afew cookies.

37. 138 globalcitizenlinda
    May 8, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I am sure that someone else noted the blue handbag that is leaning on POTUS’ desk in the photo Chips posted above.

Of course we have seen FLOTUS carry this bag on and off Marine One.

FLOTUS must have left it there when she went to participate in the 2013 National Medals for Museum and Library Service.

I hope all the observant TOD eyes did not miss this because Mr Pete Souza seems to have focused on the fact that a lady’s bag was left for POTUS to keep safely and he is now in the middle of a deep discussion with his aides

May 9, 2013 at 12:30 am

I didn’t even notice the bag. But who ever it belong to it is safe till they pick it up.