May

Today – all times Eastern:

9:55 AM: President Obama departs the White House

1:15: Arrives Austin, Texas

1:45: Tours classrooms at Manor New Technology High School

2:05: Delivers remarks

4:15: The First Lady Hosts Mother’s Day Tea

6:0: The President tours Applied Materials Inc.

5.40: Delivers remarks

6:35: Departs Austin, Texas

9:45: Arrives the White House

Steve Benen: For the fourth consecutive week, the figures on initial unemployment claims from the Department of Labor offered unexpectedly good news:

The number of people who applied for regular state unemployment-insurance benefits ticked down 4,000 to 323,000 in the week ending May 4, hitting the lowest level since January 2008 ….. Economists had expected initial claims to rise slightly …. The four-week average of new jobless claims fell 6,250 to 336,750, hitting the lowest level since November 2007, near the start of the recession.

More here

Greg Sargent: One party is threatening the recovery far more than the other is – It’s been widely pointed out by liberals that much of the discussion of fiscal issues conducted by supposedly “neutral” reporters actually does take sides in a pernicious way. It often treats it as a given that near term deficit reduction is a good thing — sometimes even cheerleading for that outcome – when in fact there is an actual policy dispute over this point, with many arguing that immediate deficit reduction is destructive to the recovery, and that dealing with the deficit should be deferred until the economy is stronger.

And that’s why today’s big New York Times piece quoting a range of economists arguing that Washington’s deficit obsession has proven a drag on the recovery is so important and welcome….

More here

USA Today: Starting a series of “Middle Class Jobs & Opportunity Tours,” Obama travels to Austin to visit high-tech facilities and promote his plans for education and basic research funding.

…. Among his announcements: A competition to create three “Manufacturing Innovation Institutes,” partnerships among businesses, colleges, and government to help create new manufacturing jobs. The president has asked Congress for $1 billion to create a total of 15 such institutes.

Obama will also discuss plans to require the government to make its data more easily available to business people, researchers and others.

More here

BlueStreetJournal.com

Bob Cesca: 13 Benghazis That Occurred on Bush’s Watch Without a Peep from Fox News

The Republican inquisition over the attacks against Americans in Benghazi has never really gone away, but it appears as though in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing and the House Oversight Committee’s Benghazi hearings this week there’s renewed psycho-histrionics over Benghazi…..

More here

Rachel at her epic best:

Steve Benen: One of the key challenges for Darrell Issa and his congressional Republican colleagues yesterday was expectations. There have already been multiple hearings and reports on the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, and Americans already know what happened. For those willing to look past silly and unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, there really aren’t any remaining unanswered questions.

But wait, Issa and his friends said, this hearing will be different. Now we have whistleblowers. This is will be The Day Everything Changes. This was a hearing so significant, so monumental, that Republican staffers on Capitol Hill felt the need to make movie posters to help promote it.

….. there’s still no conspiracy; there’s still no cover-up; there’s still no political scandal……

More here

Worth posting again….

The Hill: A proposal to expand gay rights is threatening to splinter a fragile, bipartisan agreement on immigration reform and kill a pillar of President Obama’s second-term agenda.

The Senate Gang of Eight, which crafted the immigration legislation, pledged to fight off “poison pill” amendments that would derail the bill. But one controversial proposal has already divided the group.

An amendment sponsored by Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) would allow U.S. citizens in long-term same-sex relationships to sponsor foreign partners for green cards … Republican members of the Gang of Eight have stated bluntly to their Democratic partners that this will sink the bill if adopted during the committee’s deliberations.

More here

British Prime Minister David Cameron will visit the White House on Monday ahead of President Obama’s June trip to Northern Ireland for the G-8 Summit.

“The visit will highlight the fundamental importance of the U.S.-UK relationship – a relationship through which together we address a broad range of shared global and regional security concerns,” White House press secretary Jay Carney said Wednesday in a statement announcing the visit.

More from yesterday:

First lady Michelle Obama congratulates Boston Children’s Museum President Carole Charnow and community member Tayquan Pomare-Taylor after they received the 2013 National Medal for Museum and Library Service award, May 8

Four years ago today: President Obama warms up before playing a basketball game at Fort McNair in Washington, D.C., May 9, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

MooooOOOOOoooorning!

201 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

May 9, 2013 at 10:00 am

Ha!

May 9, 2013 at 10:02 am

Good MORNING, TOD Family! :lol: :lol: Guess who? Good Morning visitors! Extra SPECIAL ‘Good Morning’ Chips Chica!

May 9, 2013 at 10:02 am

Beautiful post, Chips, President Obama in a cowboy hat, I’m good, carry on.

4. May 9, 2013 at 10:03 am

Congrats JoB, beat me by a second, wordpress made me sign in twice…aauugghh… :smile:

May 9, 2013 at 10:05 am

You almost made it, because wordpress froze on me for a second, too! Next time’s the charm. :)

5. May 9, 2013 at 10:03 am

Good Morning Chipsy , lovely R&S as always

6. 37 Ladyhawke
    May 9, 2013 at 10:09 am

Krauthammer Whitewashes Bush’s History To Bash Obama Over Embassy Attack

———————————–

On Fox News, Charles Krauthammer suggested that “under other presidents, particularly Bush,” there was “no storming of the U.S. embassy in Cairo.” In fact, there were seven attacks on U.S. embassies and consulates during the Bush years, and numerous other such attacks have happened under recent presidents.

(See itemized list)

———————————-

7. May 9, 2013 at 10:11 am

Thanks for R&S also including the lovely Michelle. She makes every post perfect.

May 9, 2013 at 10:15 am
  9. 45 Nena20409
    May 9, 2013 at 10:17 am

Good Morning Fellow TODers ;)

Thursday :?: Hmm? Awake :!: Arise :!: A-shining :cool:

You bet ;)

May 9, 2013 at 10:17 am

Jeez louise, Chips, I’m trying to start my ‘return’ to the village by keeping on top of things ….at least that was my original intent. :roll: :roll: You have ANY idea how long all this will take me to read/watch and absorb? I cry intentional sabotage! /smh/ And I thought Chips was my friend. Better go eat so that I’ll have sustenance for the task.

• May 9, 2013 at 10:20 am

Come on woman, dust yourself down, shake yourself up, get movin’!!!

May 9, 2013 at 10:26 am

You are soooo ‘unfeeling’, and ‘aloof’. I am ‘suffering’ here – show some compassion. ;)

Oh hi CC! :lol: What’s been cooking in my absence, and did you save me any tasty morsels?

• 49 MightyPamela
      May 9, 2013 at 11:04 am

Welcome back dear one. Good luck with that catching up bit…. :)

May 9, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Hello there, M. P! Thanks on both counts. Of course, catching up would be a bit easier to accomplish if I still didn’t have to flit in and out to feed my face and respond to the carpenter currently staining my kitchen cupboards. Life can be so hard sometimes. ;) ;)

11. May 9, 2013 at 10:18 am

Good Morning, Everyone :)

May 9, 2013 at 10:19 am

That’s one of my favorite dresses FLOTUS has ever worn. Loved it in London and still love it.

13. 61 Ladyhawke
    May 9, 2013 at 10:19 am

JON STEWART’S BRILLIANT TAKEDOWN OF BENGHAZI-GATE AND SO MUCH MORE ………

The Party That ‘Cries Wolf’: Jon Stewart Explains Why No One Is Buying Fox News’ Never-Ending Benghazi Outrage

By LOLGOP

————————

We remember the ridiculous impeachment of President Clinton. We remember the fixed intelligence that led to the Iraq War. We remember birtherism, Solyndra, Fast and Furious — all examples of the GOP trying to conjure scandals that in no way resonated with the American public.

And some of us even remember Mitt Romney politicizing the attacks in Libya within hours of the deaths of Ambassador Stevens and three other Americans, attacking embassy officials in a bizarre manner that continued his obsession of accusing President Obama of “apologizing for America.” Romney humiliated himself that night, and again in the second presidential debate when he accused the president of refusing to call the attacks “terror” when Obama had in fact used that exact word the day after the attack.

——————————

14. 62 Nena20409
    May 9, 2013 at 10:20 am

When Jobs outlook are improving. When the TBGOPers are obstructing. Why Not Benghazi, Benghazi, Benghazi?

We have a wickedly atrocious National Media. Truly full of sound and fury, signifying Nothing…..well…the decimation of a Nation and their once respected profession, Journalism.

15. 65 FormelyFRED
    May 9, 2013 at 10:22 am

good morning TOD family

Surgery went well
    still not eating but First day out of bed since the surgery on Monday morning
    Haven’t slept since then due to the pain and because I am so uncomfortable but I am doing well considering

I won’t be long but I wanted to thank Chips for the site and for everyone for their kind words and prayers.Going back to bed now unfortunately but will log on as soon as I can sit long enough without much pain

until next time,
    Fred

16. 74 Linda
    May 9, 2013 at 10:23 am

BOSTON — Police in Worcester (WUS’-tur), Mass., say the body of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev (TAM’-ehr-lun tsahr-NEYE’-ehv) has been buried outside of the city.

Police said in a statement Thursday that “a courageous and compassionate individual came forward” to properly bury the remains, which had been at a Worcester funeral home for about a week.

Sgt. Kerry Hazelhurst says the body is no longer in Worcester and is now entombed.

Police did not disclose where the body was taken.

• 75 Nena20409
      May 9, 2013 at 10:26 am

I am glad to read this. Two wrongs Never make a right. Thank you…..the gentle soul who provided the resting place.

• 76 theo67
      May 9, 2013 at 7:48 pm

This whole thing was very disturbing. I didn’t even know this was happening until I saw a tweet or message from someone begging people to behave like human beings. I then heard some chanting and screeching online. I know the whole event was traumatic for the people of Boston, but some of the things that happened to the funeral home that held the body, and the things that were said on the street were really disturbing. I’m glad this episode is over.

17. 77 japa21
    May 9, 2013 at 10:23 am

Anybody else having trouble accessing Twitter. I am having withdrawal.

18. 85 Jovie
    May 9, 2013 at 10:27 am
  19. May 9, 2013 at 10:29 am

Well howdy doody all you O’s!!! What a glorious and great getting up day under the TOD big tent!!!!!

Check out this site, ‘Because of Them, We Can’. It is too cute and a fun way to teach history. Scroll to see POTUS and FLOTUS as a part of the history lesson. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1184125738/because-of-them-we-can-the-book

See yous soon, off to tame a tiger.

20. 90 Jovie
    May 9, 2013 at 10:33 am
  21. May 9, 2013 at 10:34 am

Conflicts with POTUS’ trip to the best city in the USA, but a reminder to those interested that Woods Hole will be hosting experts from around the world today to discuss the impact on the Pacific Ocean of the Fukushima nuclear meltdown. They welcome Twitter and online participation and will continue until 9:30 pm EDT (6:30 pm PDT).

“The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) will convene international experts at a public colloquium to explore the impact of Fukushima on the ocean and human health. The panel will be held on May 9, 2013, from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. EDT and simulcast on the Web (http://www.whoi.edu/fukushima). Online viewers are encouraged to participate and send questions for the panel discussion via Twitter. The event hashtag is #WHOIfukushima. Questions during the discussion can also be sent via email to cmer@whoi.edu

22. 102 Nena20409
    May 9, 2013 at 10:37 am

Jay Carney 05-08-13 WH press briefings:

23. 103 Ladyhawke
    May 9, 2013 at 10:37 am

‘SCANDAL ENVY’

What Benghazi Is about: Scandal Envy

By Paul Waldman (November 15, 2012)

—————————

So what’s going on here? I can sum it up in two words: scandal envy. Republicans are indescribably frustrated by the fact that Barack Obama, whom they regard as both illegitimate and corrupt, went through an entire term without a major scandal. They tried with “Fast and Furious,” but that turned out to be small potatoes. They tried with Solyndra, but that didn’t produce the criminality they hoped for either. Obama even managed to dole out three-quarters of a trillion dollars in stimulus money without any graft or double-dealing to be found. Nixon had Watergate, Reagan had Iran-Contra, Clinton had Lewinsky, and Barack Obama has gotten off scott-free. This is making them absolutely livid, and they’re going to keep trying to gin up a scandal, even if there’s no there there. Benghazi may not be an actual scandal, but it’s all they have handy.

———————————

• 104 MightyPamela
      May 9, 2013 at 10:41 am

And again, they will fail. The doom they wished on him will be their own. It is written.

• 105 Nena20409
      May 9, 2013 at 10:45 am

Usually the saying goes this way:

If you can’t beat them, join them. Not today’s RWNJs…….their Monika/Avatar should be a Dog and a Bone not an Elephant. Oh well, they do double down on Dumbo……so Never Mind……Elephant it is.

• 106 theo67
      May 9, 2013 at 7:59 pm

If the country was humming along, not involved in any wars, competing at the top of its game, leading in education and technology research – then maybe this would be harmless. But, when one thinks of the crises – the many crises – that this President is dealing with every single day, and how precarious this country’s future is as the world quickly picks up steam and competitive advantages – it’s criminal that the GOP are wasting precious time and energy ginning up fake scandals. It’s even more criminal that they’re getting away with it. People better wake up.

24. 107 MightyPamela
    May 9, 2013 at 10:38 am

Small wonder most of Texas does not like PBO ~ he showed them how to wear a cowboy hat, and that was it! G’day y’all! :lol:

• May 9, 2013 at 10:39 am

Mooooooooooorning Pamela!!

• 110 carolyn
      May 9, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Actually…..big parts of Texas do like the President. We hear the nuts. The hating parts are the extremes geographically…..the pro parts are the metropolitan areas. Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Houston all went for President Obama. If Fort Worth had gone for president Obama, the country would have been in for a shock. Cruz was elected by a minority. The Texas record on voting is not good. That is why Jeremy Bird is setting up shop in Austin to build voting and Democrats. This is doable.
      Perry is reading the writing on the wall, I think. The people loved President Obama when he was in Waco…..Cruz has gone to the ultimate crazy, and there are too many “liberals” moving into Texas from the north and east to keep it red and stupid.
      My daughter-in-law keeps me informed about Texas. She is a native Texan and a true blue Obamabot, and she is not alone. Texas will get sensible before Oklahoma does. THEN…..since Oklahoma has only one desire, and that is to be like Texas, it will start changing too. We live in a state of “Texas envy.”

25. 111 yardarm756
    May 9, 2013 at 10:40 am

More from my in-box. It’s kinda long but something to think about. :-)

The Sandpiper

by Robert Peterson

She was six years old when I first met her on the beach near where I live.
    I drive to this beach, a distance of three or four miles, whenever the world begins to close in on me.
    She was building a sand castle or something and looked up, her eyes as blue as the sea.

“Hello,” she said.

I answered with a nod, not really in the mood to bother with a small child.

“I’m building,” she said.

“I see that. What is it?” I asked, not really caring.

“Oh, I don’t know, I just like the feel of the sand.”

That sounds good, I thought, and slipped off my shoes. A sandpiper glided by.

“That’s a joy,” the child said.

“It’s a what?”

“It’s a joy. My mama says sandpipers come to bring us joy.”

The bird went gliding down the beach. “Good-bye joy,” I muttered quietly to myself,
    “hello pain,” and turned to walk on. I was depressed, my life seemed completely out of balance.

“What’s your name?” She wouldn’t give up.

“Robert,” I answered. “I’m Robert Peterson.”

“I’m Wendy… I’m six.”

“Hi, Wendy.”

She giggled. “You’re funny,” she said.

In spite of my gloom, I laughed, too, and walked on. Her musical giggle followed me.

“Come again, Mr. P,” she called. “We’ll have another happy day.”

The next few days consisted of a group of unruly Boy Scouts, PTA meetings, and an ailing mother.
    The sun was shining one morning as I took my hands out of the dishwater.

“I need a sandpiper,” I said to myself, gathering up my coat.

The ever-changing balm of the seashore awaited me. The breeze was chilly,
    but I strode along, trying to recapture the serenity I needed.

“Hello, Mr. P,” she said. “Do you want to play?”

“What did you have in mind?” I asked, with a twinge of annoyance.

“I don’t know. You say.”

“How about charades?” I asked sarcastically, thinking that would limit the chatter.

The tinkling laughter burst forth again. “I don’t know what that is.”

“Then let’s just walk.”

Looking at her, I noticed the delicate fairness of her face.
    “Where do you live?” I asked.

“Over there.” She pointed toward a row of summer cottages.

Strange, I thought, in winter.

“Where do you go to school?”

“I don’t go to school. Mommy says we’re on vacation”

She chattered little girl talk as we strolled up the beach, but my mind was on other things.
    When I left for home, Wendy said it had been a happy day.
    Feeling surprisingly better, I smiled at her and agreed.

Three weeks later, I rushed to my beach in a state of near panic. I was in no mood to even greet Wendy.
    I thought I saw her mother on the porch and felt like demanding she keep her child at home.

“Look, if you don’t mind,” I said crossly when Wendy caught up with me, “I’d
    rather be alone today.” She seemed unusually pale and out of breath.

“Why?” she asked.

I turned to her and spoke sharply, “Because my mother died!” then, struck by guilt, thought,
    “My God, why am I being so harsh with this little child?”

“Oh,” she said quietly, “then this is a bad day.”

“Yes,” I said, “and yesterday and the day before and — oh, go away!”

“Did it hurt?” she inquired.

“Did what hurt?” I was exasperated with her, with myself.

“When she died?”

“Of course it hurt!” I snapped, misunderstanding,
    wrapped up in myself. I strode off.

A month or so later, when I next went to the beach, she wasn’t there.
    Feeling guilty, ashamed, and admitting to myself I missed her, I went up
    to the cottage after my walk and knocked at the door. A drawn looking
    young woman with honey-colored hair opened the door.

“Hello,” I said, “I’m Robert Peterson. I missed your little girl today
    and wondered where she was.”

“Oh yes, Mr. Peterson, please come in. Wendy spoke of you so much.
    I’m afraid I allowed her to bother you. If she was a nuisance,
    please, accept my apologies.”

“Not at all! She’s a delightful child.” I said, suddenly realizing
    that I meant what I had just said.

“Wendy died last week, Mr. Peterson. She had leukemia
    Maybe she didn’t tell you.”

Struck dumb, I groped for a chair. I had to catch my breath.

“She loved this beach, so when she asked to come, we couldn’t say no.
    She seemed so much better here and had a lot of what she called happy days.
    But during the last few weeks, she declined rapidly…”
    Her voice faltered, “She left something for you, if only I can find it.
    Could you wait a moment while I look?”

I nodded stupidly, my mind racing for something to say to this lovely young
    woman. She handed me a smeared envelope with “MR. P” printed in bold
    childish letters. Inside was a drawing in bright crayon hues — a yellow beach,
    a blue sea, and a brown bird. Underneath was carefully printed:

A SANDPIPER TO BRING YOU JOY.

Tears welled up in my eyes, and a heart that had almost forgotten to love
    opened wide. I took Wendy’s mother in my arms. “I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry,
    I’m so sorry,” I uttered over and over, and we wept together.

The precious little picture is framed now and hangs in my study. Six words —
    one for each year of her life — that speak to me of harmony, courage, and undemanding love.

A gift from a child with sea blue eyes and hair the color of sand–
    who taught me the gift of love.

NOTE: This is a true story sent out by Robert Peterson. It happened over 20
    years ago and the incident changed his life forever. It serves as a reminder
    to all of us that we need to take time to enjoy living and life and each other.
    The price of hating other human beings is loving oneself less.

Life is so complicated, the hustle and bustle of everyday traumas
    can make us lose focus about what is truly important
    or what is only a momentary setback or crisis.

This week, be sure to give your loved ones an extra hug, and by all means,
    take a moment… even if it is only ten seconds, to stop and smell the roses.

This comes from someone’s heart, and has been read by many,
    and now I share it with you.

May God Bless everyone who receives this! There are NO coincidences!

Everything that happens to us happens for a reason.
    Never brush aside anyone as insignificant.
    Who knows what they can teach us?

I wish for you, a sandpiper.

26. May 9, 2013 at 10:40 am

Great R&S Chips. Thanks for the inspirational start to the day. Looking forward to hearing PBO in Austin,Texas this afternoon.
    Ladyhawke mentioned Jon Stewart’s takedown of the GOP’s obsession with Benghazi above. It was truly hilarious .
    The part that had me ROFL, was when he said….”So, the Gop said Benghazi is so bad it’s like Watergate + Iran Contra, (close parenthesis) times 10.” He was paraphrasing some dumbass GOP congress person of course. :) :) Only the comedians seem to get the idiocy of the RWNJ.
    The MSM…not so much.

27. 125 Nena20409
    May 9, 2013 at 10:41 am

Truly a trove of information. Thank You Ms. Chips. I have been missing lots and lots for 3 days now. I feel like I’m finally up to speed.

28. 128 Linda
    May 9, 2013 at 10:41 am

The very first amendment to the immigration bill …penalizes less educated immigrants and waives the green card fees for higher educated people in Math, Science…etc..

The poorest will have to pay $1,500.00 .

29. 129 4morefor44
    May 9, 2013 at 10:41 am

of course, not a single mention of the big improvement in jobs numbers on huffington poop front page. nothing good can ever be said of president obama…never ever.

30. 130 Don
    May 9, 2013 at 10:44 am

If I hear one more word about some goddamn comedian demolishing some GOP meme I’m going to scream. There is nothing heroic or hard about Colbert or Stewart sitting behind a desk throwing bombs at some shit-for-brains Republican. We on the left get so carried away with elevating comedians that make political jokes; we make millionaires out of their asses. You want to elevate someone, elevate the person that goes door to door registering people to vote.

31. 134 japa21
    May 9, 2013 at 10:45 am
    • 135 Don
      May 9, 2013 at 10:49 am

I’ll tell you the truth, the truth is South Carolina joins a long line of states that enjoy getting fucked in the ass and listening to sermons at the same time.

32. 136 Ladyhawke
    May 9, 2013 at 10:48 am

IMMIGRATION BILL MARKUP: WE NEED TO REJECT “BORDER-FIRST” EXCUSES.

Fact Check: Sen. Grassley, Security Provisions in Immigration Bill Are Not “Weak”

by Americas Voice Online on 05/09/13 at 10:35 am

—————————————————

In his opening statement this morning at the markup for the Senate Gang of 8 immigration bill, Sen. Grassley says the security provisions contained in the bipartisan Senate bill are “weak.” He completely ignores reality and the real state of border security:
    After all the resources and security upgrades that have been made on the border; the record number of deportations; the continued focus and spending on enforcement by Congress and the Administration; the new strategies and even greater resources devoted to the border as part of the Senate bill; and a law that brings undocumented immigrants out of the shadows and into the legal system with multiple background checks—after all that, we have unprecedented levels of security at the border. We need to reject the “border-first” excuses to oppose reform from Sen. Grassley and others.

————————————————————-

May 9, 2013 at 10:48 am

Hmmm…what could it be friends? :)

34. May 9, 2013 at 10:48 am
  35. 141 Nena20409
    May 9, 2013 at 10:50 am

Dr. Maddow did an excellent Job so did Jon Stewart last night on Benghazi.

36. 142 Ladyhawke
    May 9, 2013 at 10:53 am

FEAR OF “THE BROWN”

What is the case against immigration reform?

37. 143 Nena20409
    May 9, 2013 at 10:58 am

Now two yrs old fatal shots self in TX. 2 yrs Old, Folks?

Lord have mercy,

38. 144 kathryn kivett
    May 9, 2013 at 10:59 am

Good Morning……..question……..why are ALL Republican men so physically UGLY?….Can you think of one single one that looks normal?….and all of their hair looks like it is made out of plastic…..case in point….that ugly man from SC yesterday at Benghazi hearing…G something…Think about it?……is there some gene that gives them this look?…..it’s not just their facial features it’s their eyes…totally BLANK….

• 145 MightyPamela
      May 9, 2013 at 11:27 am

It’s the reflection of their mental state, Kathryn. What we are on the inside shows on the outside, I suspect many of them are hiding some pretty treacherous thoyghtforms, or trying to anyway.

• 146 kathryn kivett
        May 9, 2013 at 12:50 pm

but……what makes them choose to use a lifetime supply of hair spray when Dems don’t……..you see, it’s so much easier for me to stay up at night pondering these dilemmas than the shit that is really going on….

• May 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I don’t usually comment on people’s appearances, but the most striking thing to me is the *whiny* voices of the GOP leaders.

It’s a mystery why those macho RWNJ white men aren’t taken aback when Reince Priebus, Rand Paul, even Wayne La Pierre speak.

There are exceptions, but it’s so noticable (and not in a good way).

• 148 kathryn kivett
        May 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Well A, I’m not singling anyone but talking about the WHOLE look of Republican’s, especially the elected one’s, state and federal….they all look alike as far as hair, facial expressions, and blank eyes and the further down the ladder you go the cheesier they look…….yes there are exceptions, like Michael Steele, Colin Powell, even Chris Christie…it’s the far right one’s I am talking about…..and why I care or even think about it is beyond me…..I guess it’s more interesting than Benghazi….

39. 149 Ladyhawke
    May 9, 2013 at 11:01 am

HOSTAGE TAKING AS A GOVERNING STRATEGY

The toughest gig in political punditry

By Smartypants

—————————————————-

So here we are in May and both Houses have passed budgets. But now all of the sudden, the Republicans are blocking “regular order” by being unwilling to appoint members to a conference committee.

What changed between January and now? Other than Democrats calling their bluff on the whole thing about “regular order” being a total smoke screen, deficit reduction as the primary end goal for Republicans has slipped right out from under them – so much so that the debt ceiling won’t need to be raised again until October.

Yesterday Rep. Paul Ryan came right out and said that Republicans won’t come to the table to negotiate on the budget without creating a hostage crisis over the debt limit.

——————————————————

40. 150 Bill R.
    May 9, 2013 at 11:02 am
  41. 152 Ladyhawke
    May 9, 2013 at 11:09 am

NONE DARE CALL IT SABOTAGE

Taking the politics of extortion past the breaking point

By Steve Benen

—————————–

Congressional Republicans made a series of assumptions, all of which have turned out to be wrong. They assumed Senate Democrats couldn’t pass a budget. They assumed Democrats wouldn’t want a budget process considered under regular order. And they assumed the budget talks, if they occurred, would happen around the same time as the need for a debt-ceiling increase.

GOP lawmakers were terribly disappointed, then, to see Senate Democrats do exactly what they were asked to do, and the economy improve quickly enough push off the debt-limit deadline until fall.

But with their plans foiled, Republicans are stuck with no Plan B, no leverage, and no credible threat. Consider how remarkable this is:
    I’ve run out of adjectives to describe how crazy this is, but I’ll just conclude with this: those pundits who assume Republicans are a mainstream political party, and it’s a mystery as to why President Obama hasn’t had more success negotiating with these folks, just aren’t paying close enough attention.

—————————————————–

42. 153 japa21
    May 9, 2013 at 11:14 am
  43. May 9, 2013 at 11:18 am

Hellooooooo everyone. Someone just emailed me about problems they’re having with the blog, but – as usual – I’m techy clueless. Does anyone understand what’s happening here:

I did figure out this year that if I click TOD at the top of the homepage, it gives me the posts with comments, and if I click it off, I get just the posts.

Yesterday, I could not get just plain posts —- the clicking wasn’t working as it has, and I got pages filled with blocks and blocks of tweets.
    That’s what I am seeing today, too — Mother Jones, LolGop, CheerrioPolitico.

Didn’t you have them confined to the bordered right-hand side?

*****

Help, I don’t understand!

• 157 forus50
      May 9, 2013 at 11:31 am

No issues here. amk usually knows what the solution is. :) My first option is to clear cache, if that doesn’t fix it then use a different browser, if that doesn’t fix it turn computer off then restart. If that doesn’t fix it, then I fix myself a Ketel One vodka diet tonic with lime and click on Netflix. :)

• May 9, 2013 at 11:33 am

“If that doesn’t fix it, then I fix myself a Ketel One vodka diet tonic with lime and click on Netflix”

:lol: An excellent solution, Forus!!!!

To be honest, I don’t even understand what the problem is – does it sound like the tweets in the right sidebar are appearing in the center of the page for her?? Will get back to her later to check.

• 159 57andfemale
          May 9, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I’m using Chrome at work and I’m not having any problems.

Well, not with TOD anyway.

• 160 forus50
          May 9, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Yeah, no idea. Maybe it’s that one post of UT’s where she posted all the tweets. Hopefully it’s cleared up or he/she is enjoying a nice vodka tonic and a movie. :)

• May 9, 2013 at 11:33 am

I like your style!

• May 9, 2013 at 11:33 am

Chips, every now and then the formatting on the blog goes splooey. Yesterday the tweets embedded in the comments section were very wonky for me but just for a short while. It could just be a system overload when all things are converging in one spot but it could also be WP tinkering with the platform. For example, I see the response notification button at the top upper right now has different looking layouts for the text of the comments. So chances are it will all sort itself out in a while.

44. 163 japa21
    May 9, 2013 at 11:22 am
    May 9, 2013 at 11:23 am

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    May 9, 2013

Contact: HHS Press Office
    (202) 690-6343

Health centers to help uninsured individuals gain affordable health insurance coverage
    Obama administration provides $150 million for health centers to offer enrollment assistance nationwide

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius today announced new funding to help more uninsured Americans enroll in new health insurance coverage options made available by the Affordable Care Act. Approximately $150 million will help community health centers provide in-person enrollment assistance to uninsured individuals across the nation. About 1,200 health centers operate nearly 9,000 service delivery sites nationwide and serve approximately 21 million patients each year.

“Health centers have extensive experience providing eligibility assistance to patients, are providing care in communities across the Nation, and are well-positioned to support enrollment efforts,” Secretary Sebelius said. “Investing in health centers for outreach and enrollment assistance provides one more way the Obama administration is helping consumers understand their options and enroll in affordable coverage.”

With these new funds, health centers will be able to hire new staff, train existing staff, and conduct community outreach events and other educational activities. Health centers will help consumers understand their coverage options, determine their eligibility and enroll in new affordable health insurance options. Community health center staff will provide unbiased information to consumers about health insurance, the new Health Insurance Marketplace, qualified health plans, and Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program.

46. May 9, 2013 at 11:23 am

Added to the schedule:

4:15: The First Lady Hosts Mother’s Day Tea

47. 166 japa21
    May 9, 2013 at 11:28 am
  48. 168 japa21
    May 9, 2013 at 11:38 am
    • 169 japa21
      May 9, 2013 at 11:39 am

Okay, I think I have assuaged my earlier withdrawal symptoms and can actually start focusing on work.

May 9, 2013 at 11:40 am

Chuck Todd is RT’ing disrespectful crap from Ted Cruz about PBO. What an arse.

• 171 4morefor44
      May 9, 2013 at 12:17 pm

wtf is that?!? that’s such a childish and stupid picture to begin with, and this man who calls himself a “journalist” and gets paid 6-7 figures/year to “report,” promotes it without context or question!?!? yes, teabagger cruz, please talk about president obama’s jobs record compared to your fake texas presidents the george bushes.

12 years of bushes: 1.7 million jobs created total. 4 years president obama: over 6 million and counting, and easily a couple million more without republicans across the country cutting public workers like crazy, and congressional republicans actively working to undermine every jobs program president obama wants to do. hell, president carter created over 8 million in his 4 years. and we won’t even mention president clinton’s jobs numbers, which are far beyond any other president in recent times.

of course we’ll never hear facts like that from chuck todd and his millionaire friend “reporters” and “news producers.” instead we just get from them mindless stenography of republican talking points, just a chucky did with his tweet. it’s insane how ridiculous the modern “news” industry is today.

50. 172 hgerhard
    May 9, 2013 at 11:46 am

Hello everyone. It’s time to listen to this again – and, please, if you have not done so already, call your representatives and your Senators and urge them to pass this important legislation. It’s only if we use the strength of our numbers that we can defeat the stranglehold of the NRA and their allies in Congress.

51. 173 Ladyhawke
    May 9, 2013 at 11:57 am

David Roberts ‏@drgrist 1m

—————————————–

Radical GOP obstructionism has gotten so routine that the media can’t even identify it for what it is. But this is not normal.

—————————————-

52. 175 Nena20409
    May 9, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Bengay is a medication for Pain.

TGBOPers have been in Severe pain, REEL and Imagined since Nov 5, 2008. Their Nightmare were realized on Jan 20, 2009. Their pain became unbearable once again on Nov 6, 2012 and Their painkiller became Benghazi?

By Elephant, I think that I have solved it……the RWNJ orgasmic traumatic obsession with Benghazi.

53. May 9, 2013 at 12:10 pm
    • May 9, 2013 at 12:13 pm

This is great, much needed news!!

54. 178 Ladyhawke
    May 9, 2013 at 12:12 pm

The Daily Edge ‏@TheDailyEdge 2h

———————————

REMINDER: If you need to distract people from your efforts to destroy jobs, voting rights, choice, and Medicare use the hashtag #Benghazi

————————————-

55. 179 Linda
    May 9, 2013 at 12:17 pm

One of Sen. Mike Lee’s (R-Utah) 23 amendments to the Senate immigration bill being considered this week would allow undocumented immigrants to be lawfully employed — but only only as domestic workers.

Lee’s amendment would exempt undocumented immigrants working as “cooks, waiters, butlers, housekeepers, governessess, maids, valets, baby sitters, janitors, laundresses, furnacemen, care-takers, handymen, gardeners, footmen, grooms, and chauffeurs of automobiles for family use” from prohibitions against “unlawful employment” for undocumented immigrants.

Are you all as relieved as I am ?

56. 182 japa21
    May 9, 2013 at 12:29 pm

This is cool. CNN’s money webpage is profiling American’s who are looking forweard to signing up for Obamacare and why.

57. 184 Linda
    May 9, 2013 at 12:33 pm

UPDATE: Lee’s office disputed the scope of the amendment Thursday morning. “Lee’s Amdt 14 just means if you pay the kid down the street $20 to mow your lawn, he doesn’t have to go thru E-verify,” Communications Director Brian Phillips said in a tweet.

—-

Well, Thanks goodness…..I was worried about my footmen, grooms and chauffeurs status.

58. 189 Ladyhawke
    May 9, 2013 at 12:50 pm

STARK CONTRAST BETWEEN OPENING STATEMENTS OF CHAIRMAN LEAHY AND RANKING MEMBER GRASSLEY

by Van Le on 05/09/2013 at 10:48am

——————————-

Productive is the polar opposite of what we can expect from Grassley — and he’ll be abetted by Sens. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) and Ted Cruz (R-TX), among others. Grassley has made it clear that he wants to block reform. At one point, he admitted his strategy to delay the process, saying “I’m going to take as much time as I can”–and said that he has no intention of voting for the bill. Also, he relied on the stale “border security” talking point, which the conservative Wall Street Journal pointed out was a bogus argument and just a ploy to kill reform. (View our fact check of Grassley’s border security arguments here.)

The contrast between Leahy and Grassley could not have been more clear.

————————————————–

59. 190 Linda
    May 9, 2013 at 12:53 pm

WASHINGTON, May 9 (Reuters) – Republican lawmakers on Thursday blocked a confirmation vote on President Barack Obama’s nominee to lead the Environmental Protection Agency, saying they were “completely unsatisfied” with answers provided by Gina McCarthy on several topics.

All eight Republicans on the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works boycotted a scheduled vote on McCarthy’s confirmation after a request to delay the meeting was turned down.

At least two Republicans were needed for the committee vote to go ahead, according to committee rules.

60. 194 Jovie
    May 9, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    May 9, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Chips – I do expect to see our dear FLOTUS wearing one of your ” … ish” shirts one day. No, really, I do! Love it.

But I don’t do red, and, oh, by the way, my b/d is Oct. 11. See you back here then! (Well, and every day in between, hopefully, unless Repukes take away our Internet access, in which case they’re goin’ down!)

62. 197 Jovie
    May 9, 2013 at 1:09 pm
    May 9, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I followed Chips’ BlueStreetJournal link and found this from a 5th grader (only a part of his ‘essay’)
    //….

What really grinds my gears is people being against immigration. Who are we to say that people can’t come to our free land? We are asking for war with the world. People need to have respect. There’s an old saying that goes a little like this, “Treat people how you would want to be treated.” There is one question that I think are in a lot of people’s minds: If we treat people wrong, do they have the right to treat us wrong as well? Think about that. Tell me if that changes things in your thoughts or theories.

Let me get this straight–if a Mexican walks into a bar full of whites, the whites have a right to treat them wrong for no reason? What if the Mexicans get to be over us? What will happen then? Do the Mexicans get to do the same to us? This isn’t going on with just Mexico! It’s going on around the world. How come we have rights and they don’t?

We need to get along with everyone.
    …..//

64. 201 JER
    May 9, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Live Streaming Video: President Obama’s arrival: http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml