May

A Word from Donna

by Donna

I’ve been listening to Urban Talk radio of late during my drive in to work and on lunch break (Joe Madison in the morning and Rev Al at lunch).

Joe Madison has been blasting the Republicans and the media this week. It has been a thing of beauty to listen to. The callers to his show know the game as well and if these Republicans think that they are going to try and take this President down based on these bogus so-called “scandals” they are in for a rude awakening. The Republicans will feel their wrath like never before so let them keep overreaching…..

I’d like to say a word or two about a topic that he did touch on this morning (just as I arrived at work and couldn’t hear the end) was the WH’s response to these so-called scandals. I’m also seeing a lot of this in my twitter timeline. There seems to be this notion that the WH isn’t getting out in front of these issues as fast as some would like.

Now, if I said that at times I don’t get frustrated with our rapid response team I would be lying. I do, but what I have learned to understand is that there is a process to everything. This President would rather be right than first. Meaning he won’t send folks out to say things until he knows all the facts. He also is the President of the United States and people that want him to go crazy on the Republicans every time they do something crazy just don’t understand this man. He is not a cowboy and he is not a thug so folks need to stop expecting him to act like one.

All those saying that the President should have been out front on the AP scandal because the notification from the AG’s office was sent on Friday have to understand that the AG’s office is an independent entity. They cannot coordinate with the WH on any legal matter. So the WH found out when we found out and there wasn’t a doggone thing that they could have done about it. Also, the WH cannot dictate to the Justice Dept how to do their job. It just doesn’t work that way. The media was going to take the side of the AP whether or not the breath of those subpoenas was appropriate or not because that’s what they do. This is the same media who all stuck together and pushed back when this WH tried to take on Fox news in the early years of his Presidency. It’s a strong union and they feel if you come after one of us (even the illegitimate ones) you might come after all of us.

On the Benghazi lying email mess…IMO, we probably should/could have seen this coming knowing how rabid the Repubs Faux News crowd has been about this topic but you can only respond to what you know so how could the WH react any faster to this story until the story broke? The “blockbuster” story that Karl broke was on Friday. Someone “notified” certain media types on Tuesday morning about the “actual” email but shouldn’t the emphasis be on the lying, bogus, good-for-nothing media that ran with this story without any due-diligence?

Look, I get that we are frustrated that our media sucks and that the President doesn’t appear to have the same level of respect or support from the Dems on the Hill that the Clinton’s had and our silly party will join right in with the right condemning him without all the facts and that this WH doesn’t spend all its time trying to figure out ways to annihilate the Republicans. I get that, but President Obama sees that as counter-productive because he has far more supporters outside of the beltway and he is trying his best to harness that support into action. He needs your voice everywhere you can raise it to inform, enlighten and engage the public. So before going public with your frustration remember that this President has been fighting every single day that he has been in office. They can try with all their might to bring him down but we must always remember our role is to continue to take him higher.

As Bobfr would say… #TrustObama

143 Responses to “A Word from Donna”

1. 1 Allison
    May 15, 2013 at 11:58 am

Hello everyone!

2. May 15, 2013 at 11:59 am

Amen to this! Well said, Donna.

May 15, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Well, hello there, Kat! I agree, Donna, well said!

” … take him higher.” I’m in.

• 8 donna dem 4 obama
      May 15, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Hey Kat!!!

Thank you my dear!

• 9 utaustinliberal
        May 15, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Donna, this is frigging brilliant. I have never wavered in my support of Pres. Obama from day one. I told myself that I will enjoy the 8 years he and FLOTUS are in office and I will never let shoddy institutions like the GOP and media paint him as corrupt or incompetent. He has fought for us since day one and I will always have his back.

Thank you for this magnificent commentary. :D

• 12 prettyfoot58
        May 15, 2013 at 12:46 pm

~They can try with all their might to bring him down but we must always remember our role is to continue to take him higher~

Righttttttttttt On…Donna D….

#TrustBarack

• May 15, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I agree very well done. Most of us on this site already know that POTUS is a brilliant strategist, and he had to expect the media’s collective heads to implode. That siad, POTUS and AG Holder would not go this route to subpoena AP if this would cause unmanageable damage to the 2nd term efforts.

Also the media and leakers out there trying to harm this administration have been put on notice by DOJ that classified info shall remain classified.

Lastly, National Security > media leaks. The American will side with the president on this issue. Most of us, on the left and right, have a certain amount of disdain for MSM anyway. The more they whine the more the American public will get turned off.

3. 14 MightyPamela
    May 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Brilliant read, DD4O, thanking you! ;)

4. 15 japa21
    May 15, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Well said Donna. A lot of people make the mistake of underestimating this President and his supporters. It is like they think that those of us who have always had his back are suddenly going to give up on him. To those people I have 3 words to say. “Ain’t gonna happen.”

5. 19 japa21
    May 15, 2013 at 12:04 pm

And now, a comment i was writing when Chips so nicely decided to cut me off and do a new post.

Serious question. I know that statements in a political ad are protected from any libel suits. Many of the so-called social welfare groups, specially Rove’s, run ads attacking a canddiate (usually Dem) and often include false and/or misleading statements that, to me, would qualify as libel. If a candidate went to court to sue for libel and to ask for a cease and desist order, I wonder what the group’s response would be. If they fall back on th immunity argument, they are admitting to being political. If they don’t, what would prevent a judge from issuing a cease and desist order which they would then be obligated to comply with until afetr the libel suit is heard.

I would love to see some Dem candidate do this and sue for $50 million and see what happened.

6. 20 Nena20409
    May 15, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Good Afternoon All.

Great post Donna.

I agree with most…..but the Communication has been lacking from 2007. By now, especially in the 2nd term….with a rapid House and TBGOpers and Media still looking for the downfall of this president……there has got to be a Better way to counter the 24/7 noise. I have 3 nieces that are just tired of this. I am too. I want better defenders for this president…….that is all.

• 21 donna dem 4 obama
      May 15, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Trust me Nena, I have my frustrations as well. I just think that when we spend too much time on whether or not we responded to something to our liking we lose focus of the issue. Somehow it becomes about how the WH responded and lets the culprits off the hook.

• 22 Nena20409
        May 15, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I agree with you Donna. Thanks.

But it helps not when Robert Gibbs said today that This President has become too passive. That irked me when I heard that on Ed Schultz radio show with The red haired guy from WI subbing for Ed. Gibbs was pres sec. Saying such crap on Cable TV is fatuously, crude, wicked and demeaning to a guy he was working for just months ago.

May 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I missed that. But, even though I idolized Robert Gibbs while he was Press Secretary, and during the ’08 campaign, he’s been seeming a little “put out” since he left the administration. Haven’t heard enough to know if my gut instincts are right, but maybe he either burned out (who wouldn’t) and hasn’t recovered … or he was expecting the whole wide world to open up to him “on the outside,” and it hasn’t. I’m hoping he turns around and becomes fully supportive. But, ya know, President Obama will just keep moving forward and dazzling us, with or without the full support of those who may fall by the wayside (due to any number of reasons). I’m keeping my eyes on the prize.

May 15, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Again, Robert Gibbs works for and receives a paycheck from MSNBC, not Barack Obama. What he says or doesn’t say at this point is largely irrelevant in my opinion. When Jay Carney or FLOTUS says something like this, gimme a call and we can talk then. I have turned MSNBC OFF, and kept it there permanently.

• 25 utaustinliberal
            May 15, 2013 at 12:49 pm

THIS. THIS. THIS.

If it doesn’t come from the Obama Admin, you can miss me with that BS

• 26 Nena20409
            May 15, 2013 at 1:05 pm

You may be right HF2. However, when Gibbs goes out there and part of his credentials and why he was hired was because of his past work experience working for then sen Obama and pres Obama. Therefore his voice lends credence to the public. I don’t dismiss it. I look at it and then look for ways to counter or discredit folks like him. BYT, I didn’t get the info from MSNBC.

Axelrod, Fav, S. Cutter, etc were not like that. I would like more defenders of pres Obama…..that is it.

• 29 kathryn kivett
        May 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm

First of all, PBO can’t be running to the mike 3/4 times a day to respond to their ca ca, and who else is there to respond?….Dem Congress people?…Good Luck on that….why you ask….Clinton and Bush had dozens of spokespersons on tv 24/7 but PBO doesn’t have anyone….personally I think part of it is b/c his inner circle/ cabinet are not trained in public communications b/c they are experts in their fields and WORK..besides look what happened to Susan Rice when she tried…as far as congress is concerned, very few have ever supported him and if they did they are no longer there…the one’s there are so insulated and concerned about their own reelection that they keep quiet…why?….b/c PBO has actually worked and has not kissed their A’s and stoked their egos……..WHO would be a great spokesperson for PBO….more than one?…….Suggestions?

May 15, 2013 at 12:14 pm

And that continues to be us!

May 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm

We are the president’s defenders. And our BEST defense is to keep informed of the FACTS, to stop criticizing the President and the WH when we do not have all the facts, and most importantly get out and vote.

If you noticed, Mitt Romney had a perfectly fine-tuned PR machine that was the RW AND main-stream media doing his bidding. Yet he LOST the election. Why? Because people on the ground who supported the President kept their focus on the end goal, not on what the President shoulda coulda woulda done, and disseminated information and got people to the polls. People are “tired of this” but it’s not the President’s fault and he should not be blamed for this. This is the fault of the media – so-called journalists who’ve taken oaths of ethical integrity but who’ve abdicated their roles in the worship of corporate $$.

• 33 57andfemale
      May 15, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I have to agree with you Nena. We cede the outrage to the Republicans and it creates its own white noise that filters in to those who are not engaged. I’m not saying it always ends in some defeat for us, but there should be a stable of surrogates who can push back with the kind of outrage that gets attention and resets the narrative. It’s frustrating.

It is not just about how PBO and his administration fares. We’re in this for the long haul and I think Dem’s are still not doing as effective a messaging job as Republicans. They are masters at it, and people like the brilliant George Lakoff can’t get hired while Frank Luntz hones his craft.

• May 15, 2013 at 1:36 pm

What about elevating the electorate to expect better from the media, rather than expecting the President/WH to get distracted from the actual work they’re doing, in order to give in to the GOP efforts to focus on shiny objects and delay progress? It may be frustrating to have the media and the GOP focusing on these many, many stupid and nonsensical stories. But, that is the goal of those stupid and nonsensical stories: to create so much noise that it turns people off from the details, and allows them to spread any narrative to a weary electorate – most of whom won’t vote because of their apathy. Given a choice between having the President and his people focus on actually getting work done that will stand a lifetime, or running after every petty story – which people should know better than to believe at this point – I’d rather they focus on the work.

This is the typical GOP M.O. and we (the people) seem to fall for it every time. Allow the GOP to gin up enough noise that we all get distracted and start crying for pushback or a response or denials or whatever. And in the meantime, jobs go uncreated, infrastructure is neglected, kids go uneducated, the world goes unmanaged. But, we feel good about the pushback… The GOP have entertained themselves for over four years during one of the worst crises this generation has seen, plus two wars, and they haven’t lifted a finger to help. Many on the left have spent their days complaining about legislation that has been passed in this environment, saying it’s not enough, or should have been different in this way or that. And yet, history has been made time and again. Wars have ended. Deficits have been paid. Investments have been made. The environment has been strengthened. And the GOP haven’t had a hand in any of that – they’ve spend their time spreading lies and innuendo. They will never stop.

When President Obama leaves office in 2017, the stories won’t stop. They will continue. The next President – unless he/she’s a Republican – will have more lies to rebut, and more people to educate, and more hurdles to overcome. But, we’ll also have a smarter group of kids, a healthier population, a more peaceful world, a lower deficit, and opportunities – all because President Obama focused on the important stuff; the stuff that lasts. I can’t complain about that.

May 15, 2013 at 2:23 pm

X 100% support (of every single word, Theo!) I couldn’t have put it any better and you’ve said all I would have wanted to say. Thanks. You can be my new communications assistant or my new Jon Favreau, with speaking privilege.

• 36 nathkatun7
        May 15, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Absolutely theo! I agree with you 100%!

• 37 purpleshoesla
        May 16, 2013 at 12:02 am

Brilliant post Theo. Thank you.

7. 38 donna dem 4 obama
    May 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Oh My!

Well thanks a bunch Chips!

8. 40 yardarm756
    May 15, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Absolutely on point.

9. 41 Linda
    May 15, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Sen. Feinstein just told reporters “I am hearing” a/ Rep. Mike Rogers, House Intel Cmttee chair, as Obama’s FBI nominee.

—-

Although Rogers is a Republican…from what I have seen of him….he may be a great pick…..he does not have knee jerk reactions most of the time….

May 15, 2013 at 12:17 pm
    May 15, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Thanks donna for being a voice of reason amidst all the counter-productive hysteria, which is knee-jerk and almost always based on limited info that has been spun or distorted. I’ve spent quite a bit of time the last few days trying to caution some on Twitter to not allow the MSM’s antics to get us discouraged, demoralized or upset at PBO. He is not the problem. The WH is not the problem. To think so is to give the GOP & MSM exactly what they want. The more time spent lamenting on what PBO coulda shoulda done, means less time acquiring FACTS that can be used to effectively refute the MSM spin, and fight the GOP’s malfeasance.

May 15, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Another voice of reason! Thank you, hf2. I agree.

• 45 utaustinliberal
      May 15, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Hopefruit the second paragraph of your comment was so spot on!

“Finally, twitter is really not the place to nurse one’s emotional wounds (perceived or actual) by lashing out at PBO. Save that for your mother, spouse, best friend or therapist. You are not going get a whole lot of sympathy from me if you attack and falsely accuse the President in a public forum for no good reason, and then turn around and say that you are “tired & frustrated.” Can you imagine how HE feels?”

On a show I watch called Scandal, the Chief of Staff had this line in last week’s episode: “Jesus is not me! Jesus forgives. Jesus saves. I destroy and I will bring down vengeance upon you in a hail of fire and brimstone” <—— that line describes exactly how I feel towards those on twitter who call themselves Pres. Obama's supporters and turn around when it seems the chips are down and abandon him/castigate him. I have no tolerance for that kind of spineless, wishy washy behavior.

This is the video of Cyrus in beautiful poetry, prose, and motion. His rant begins at 0:47.

May 15, 2013 at 1:14 pm

UT, if you need someone to carry your bags, that would be me, because I have never and I will never abandon or castigate President Obama. I will, however, support and appreciate him for eight+ years. Proudly and to the best of my ability. Made that decision in ’07, but I really never thought he’d continue to amaze – not like this, and I’ve been paying close attention to his every word and action.

• 47 theo67
          May 15, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I’m with you, Jacq.

• 50 nathkatun7
          May 15, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Count me in also, JOB! I’ve been around for some time, and President Obama is the best president in my lifetime.

May 15, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Mine, as well, although I was a big fan of JFK’s as a teenager!

• 52 99ts
              May 15, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Weren’t we all! It is Presidents who achieve something other than war and lowering taxes are remembered for those achievements. Health care alone, but also the economic recovery, are massive achievements for PBO (ignoring who he is & even getting to the white house). I doubt that any of his original 2008 supporters think anything but good about him – despite the best efforts of the GOP and the Media(R, USA)

• 53 nathkatun7
      May 15, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Yes indeed, hopefruit2! Thank you for being another voice of reason.

May 15, 2013 at 12:22 pm

U.S. sets $1 billion healthcare innovation initiative

The Obama administration on Wednesday announced a $1 billion initiative to fund innovations in federal healthcare programs aimed at cutting costs while improving the health results.

13. 55 Nena20409
    May 15, 2013 at 12:27 pm

And yet another day with the harm/death of another citizen in USA…..by Guns.

• 56 Linda
      May 15, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Good Grief….All tatooed up with giant earings…. $$ signs on his forehead ?

I wonder how this man earns money…

14. 57 jackiegrumbacher
    May 15, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Donna, you are so absolutely spot on, I am cheering. If the Republicans and the media think that constant attacks against the president are going to discourage people or distract them from the obstruction going on in Congress, they are grossly underestimating us and the president. People on the extreme right talk about energizing the Tea Party for 2014. Well, guess what? We FAR outnumber the Tea Party bigots and we’re mad as hell and are not going to take it anymore. I think your point about the president having all the facts before he speaks is an excellent one. Many of us are tempted to shoot from the hip and you can see panicked Dems in Congress doing this every day. But that is not PBO’s way and I respect him for it. I remember at one of his early press conferences, some idiot asked why he hadn’t commented on something earlier and the president said, “Because I like to know what I’m talking about before I say something. ” I respect that. Too many people speak first and think later and the result is continued ignorance and misunderstanding on all sides.

May 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm
  16. May 15, 2013 at 12:31 pm

What I always enjoy about DonnaDem’s commentary is that she is always able to cut through the BS and be the voice of reason. In today’s world, I really appreciate that!!

17. 62 Jovie
    May 15, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Mike Rogers has been on tv talking trash a out the President, on a number of issues.
    And his Friends in the Hoyse are talking about impeachment.
    Are you all sure you want somebody running the FBI with close relationships with TBaggers?
    Really?

• 63 Don
      May 15, 2013 at 12:56 pm

This is the same asshole that just a few weeks ago was lobbying to head the FBI, as if this fucker actually thought he had a shot.

18. 64 Allison
    May 15, 2013 at 12:34 pm

PBO is ALWAYS one step ahead of the jackals !

19. 69 Jovie
    May 15, 2013 at 12:38 pm

The reason done democrats are now talking to the press about the ACA and are nervous about implementation?
    The house has tried to defund the law, sequester took its toll.
    The President has had to borrow from other areas of the law to make sure the exchanges are done on time.
    Those other areas are pet projects of the Democrats that are talking to the Press.
    I am not even sure if some democrats in congress want the exchanges to go through, but would be thrilled if their contributions go through.
    Just being Being aware of the nonsense in Congress

20. 70 debz
    May 15, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Great post Donna. The village idiots are truly delusional if they think all of us who voted for and support this President are going to abandon him because of anything they say or do. This is like before the election when they were trying to convince themselves that POTUS lost his supporters, that we were all disappointed, and would not get out to vote. They will not stop us.

21. May 15, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Andrew Sullivan drives me nuts, but this is a gem – re Politico:

The evidence for their opinion – and it is an opinion piece – comes from the usual Obama-haters who have long resented the arrival of some core principles in the ethical sewer of the official city. And then these other core features of our public discourse: a Maureen Dowd column, Ron Fournier’s ego, and, wait for it, “a rerun of Tuesday’s “Morning Joe,” in which reporters made it sound like Obama is a latter-day Richard Nixon.” Pass me the smelling salts. I’m getting the vapors.

• 72 criquet
      May 15, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Politico did not turn on PBO. They were against him from 2007. Get real Mr Sullivan.
      Ask Ms Chips about them. She has done a fine series on them and their biased headlines, opinion and news pieces and their so called “journalists”.

They have so many biases -where to start?
      Politico is pro-republican, pro-certain other things too. Remember when two of their lead reporters said that if PBO did not carry a majority of the white vote he would not have a mandate?

Oh , how soon some forget.

Politico is not a credible news organization,period.

• 73 99ts
      May 15, 2013 at 6:33 pm

He posted the most horrible blog item (which I read in other places, not his blog) comparing people of different races to different types of dogs – & why one, of course, is better than the others. Racist to the core & quoting 19th century research which was flawed beyond repair and discounted when the KKK used it extensively.

May 15, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hey bt, when you gonna make donna a mini-me bt?

• May 15, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Donna can become a blog tyrant any time she likes, would be thrilled to have her on board!!! But if she’s too busy, I’ll just keep on posting her comments!

• 76 donna dem 4 obama
      May 15, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Ha! Thanks Amk for looking out for me but Ms. Chips is right. My schedule only allows for an occasional comment here or there but its good to know that I can have the access when I do get more time to post.

May 15, 2013 at 12:43 pm
    May 15, 2013 at 12:45 pm

So much truth from our Chiparoo.

25. 79 Allison
    May 15, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Coming up: AG Holder live on C-Span3

• 80 Linda
      May 15, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I am afraid to watch….

• 81 Nena20409
        May 15, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Please don’t be. AG Holder is a Force by himself….soft spoken, but boy…. lethally, effective.

May 15, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Agreed. He’s going to SLAY those dragons and I’m looking forward to seeing him doing it in real time!

• 83 MightyPamela
          May 15, 2013 at 2:02 pm

(and easy on the eyes….) :oops:

• 84 HZ
            May 15, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Very easy on the eyes, MightyPamela. I watched the entire hearing, and believe me AG Holder held his ground and even expressed his feelings to the Congress how disrespectful they are to him most of the time when he is there. It was great.HZ

May 15, 2013 at 1:00 pm
  27. 86 forus50
    May 15, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Donna,
    FANTASTIC writing. Thank you for this and for Chipsticks for highlighting it.

28. 87 Jewelz
    May 15, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Great commentary Donna. I am not worried about the media and the republicans anymore. The more they spend their energy trying to destroy PBO, the more they end up destroying their reputations. Today republican party is going the way of the Whig party anyway. I have said it before and will say it again; the republican party will not see the inside of the white house for another twenty years or so. And the only way they will ever get back in the white house will be to form a new party that will challenge the democratic party in the future.

What I would love to see the white house do is to bring back those townhalls where the president speaks and takes question directly from the American people. I miss those townhalls.

May 15, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Douchebag. This is our media, America.

May 15, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Thank you ObamaCare.

May 15, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Jay Carney opens up with mocking the press’s mockery of him. Hahahaha.

32. 92 4morefor44
    May 15, 2013 at 1:28 pm

great comments, donna! and also this from hopefruit2 above bears repeating, and repeating, and repeating…

“People are “tired of this” but it’s not the President’s fault and he should not be blamed for this. This is the fault of the media – so-called journalists who’ve taken oaths of ethical integrity but who’ve abdicated their roles in the worship of corporate $$.

I did not elect Barack Obama to spend every single hr of his presidency putting out press releases to refute every damn rumor the corrupt MSM puts out there. He has a country to govern. And if I want the FACTS, I know where to get them. I refuse to put this on the President. This is a direct indictment of our corrupt media and the power structure that exists in the US.”

plus, it doesn’t matter what president obama or his “surrogates” say anyway. he does press conferences and answers strongly and directly, and the mainstream media just continues with their fake storylines as if he never said anything. it’s a fool’s game to try and refute their lies. on c-span you can see democrats and adminstration people all the time refuting the lies, but the mainstream news simply ignores it. people like BWD with the frequent scolding of the obama admin on this or that response to this or that non-issue has become insufferable for me. the mainstream media is the problem and nothing president obama does or says will change what they do, and people supposedly on our side should know this by now. yes, obviously people are just “saying what’s on their minds,” just as newt gingrich and rush limbaugh do too, and it is precisely those thoughts of doubt from “supporters” that is the problem. they are stepping right into the traps that the media sets. enough! forward with president obama and his team…trust, he’s earned it!

33. May 15, 2013 at 1:28 pm
    May 15, 2013 at 1:31 pm
  35. 97 Linda
    May 15, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Why is Rangel asking about Tom Perez ?

36. 98 betseyc
    May 15, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Great post, Donna. At this point I really only get my news from here (and find I’m far better informed than most of the people I talk to). I don’t own a television, and haven’t listened to a pundit in years, following my rule of not listening to people who are paid to talk, since something, anything, has to keep coming out of their mouths. So any anxiety I feel about things usually comes from anxiety expressed here.

But, because I get my news from here, I’m very struck by how much PBO and his administration are doing, despite all the obstacles and venom and craziness. And lately it’s occurred to me that he might not even care all that much about the craziness, because it lets him get on with the job without worrying about polls and reactions, because no one polls about how people feel about the greening of the armed forces and how that progress will affect the nation, or raising a billion dollars to educate people about Obamacare, or reducing sexual assault in the armed forces.

Of course he’d like to be working with supportive Dems and a sane opposition party to do amazing things. But he’s not, and he knows it, and under all the noise, he keeps going, our energizer bunny, and things keep happening. Not necessarily flashy things, but very important things. If the Repubs weren’t so afraid of what he’s capable of accomplishing, they wouldn’t react the way they’re reacting.

I’ve said this before, and I believe it from the bottom of my heart — he was sent. He’s the avatar. It’s not even about what he accomplishes, though that will be mighty. It’s about the fact that he’s the pivot, the cultural hinge. Nothing will be the same, the world over, because this man, at this time, became the leader of the world. If I ever get discouraged about what he’s being put through, I remember my friend’s visit to Egypt, where young kids would follow her around, pointing to their brown arms, saying “Obama!” And she would point to her Irish-white arm and say, “Obama!” and everyone would laugh.

Every child of color in every part of the world, from this presidency on, will view themselves, the world, and their place in it, differently. And the world, right now, is mostly children of color. That’s why the doughy white guys are in a panic, trying to grab everything they can get for themselves before they’re a shrinking minority.

• 99 4morefor44
      May 15, 2013 at 1:43 pm

omg! GREAT comment! thank you.

• 100 theo67
      May 15, 2013 at 1:45 pm

This is a good insight – the shiny objects keep the media and their master happy, and the President is then able to get on with real stuff that isn’t “sexy” enough to entertain the media, like the “greening of the armed forces” that you mentioned. Good silver lining!

• May 15, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Donna and Betsy: WAHOO! Thank you both for the wise insights. Agree with both of you.

Donna,Did you hear the caller on Joe Madison’s show who said he was a student at Harvard and taking a class on Black Studies……said some friends suggested he listen to Joe and said he had been listening about two months. Then,he went in for the kill when he asked Joe why he defends EVERYTHING PO does. Joe was onto him quickly and within a few seconds asked the caller who his professor was. You guessed it. Caller ignored Joe every time he asked and kept asking “Why do you defend everything PO does”? The guy finally gave up…..not sure if he hung up or Joe cut him off. But, I tell you, it was hilarious. Joe caught him in that bold face LIE. Joe and other callers talked about it for the next 30 minutes. So funny!

• 105 forus50
      May 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Love the worldwide Obama effect perspective you outlined. He is indeed that man.

• 106 Anna
      May 15, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Really like the doughy white guys description. Great post.

• 107 Puddin'
      May 15, 2013 at 3:36 pm

betseyc, I comment as often as I used to and I haven’t done so in a while. I am taking the time to comment today, to say your words always make my heart smile and bring tears to my eyes. Your words are always so full, and my God, you always seem to say exactly what I’m thinking and feeling, but could not put into words. betseyc, thank you so much!

Keep the faith…

• 108 betseyc
        May 15, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Thanks so much, Puddin’. I don’t comment much either, and really appreciate your response. And everyone’s!

• 109 nathkatun7
      May 15, 2013 at 4:32 pm

This, This, This! So much wisdom on this blog! Thanks Betseyc for this comment.

37. May 15, 2013 at 1:45 pm
  38. 111 4morefor44
    May 15, 2013 at 1:46 pm

i hear all these “reporters” going on and on about their false IRS “scandal” and not one of them talks at all about how liberal groups were targeted also, and the ONLY group actually denied by the IRS was a liberal group. my god, if it isn’t obvious to someone by now that their job is to be propagandists, i can’t help them.

• 112 nathkatun7
      May 15, 2013 at 4:35 pm

“…if it isn’t obvious to someone by now that their job is to be propagandists, i can’t help them.”

4morefor44, I reached that conclusion long time ago!

May 15, 2013 at 1:54 pm

What a nice AND IMPORTANT ‘word’ to return to, thanks! :grin: DD4O you have said it all with calm AND passion, and along with the rest of the family I’m right there with you and thank you oodles for the reminder that PBO “needs your voice everywhere you can raise it to INFORM, ENLIGHTEN AND ENGAGE THE P- U – B – L- I – C”.

I confess I don’t get why for some supporters it just IS an INCONTROVERTIBLE FACT that at any given moment the President is doing all he can for the country, while other supporters need constant or repeated reminders. Anyway, we are family. Thank you for the timely reminder of OUR most productive and supportive role. We lament when the media or GOPs don’t do their jobs effectively; your reminder might indeed refocus us all to do OUR part with greater efficacy.

40. May 15, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Apart from Donna’s excellent analysis, I think the White House (the President, specifically) is well aware of Rule nr. 1:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

41. 117 Linda
    May 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Why is Rep Scott claiming groups were denied 501-c-4 status for political reasons ?

I thought no one was denied.

• 118 4morefor44
      May 15, 2013 at 2:05 pm

there was one denial…Emerge America, which is a liberal group. the “reporters” are still asking jay carney about this nonstop for an hour now, and not one has brought this up at all. would destroy their false narrative.

• 119 japa21
        May 15, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Actually, that was not a denial, it was a revocation of previously given tax exempt status. That being said, liberal groups were also among the ones set aside for additional scrutiny. Fact is, US is losing a lot of tax revenue from some of these groups.

42. 120 Dakota
    May 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Good Afternoon TOD Family!

TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!! Another Taurus checking in…Finally!!!

I had a meeting this morning and then conducted an interview. Then I tried to post here and its been sooooo sloooowww loading. The good news is that my co-workers brought me a delicious cake and the guy I interviewed is very HOT. Whaddaya think, ladies…should I hire him. All the nurses here think I should! LOL!

I will check back later for my birthday cake, I’m positive the lovely Chips will make it the most beautiful birthday cake ever!

Love you guys so much. It’s a great day for watching the GOP and their lackeys get smacked down and ridiculed. And of course, it’s always a great day to wake up with Barack Obama as President!

Awesome post Donna!

May 15, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Press and GOP are just wow.

44. 125 Anna
    May 15, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Thank you Donna. I come here for the important and correct information, thanks to all of you. Social media, blogs, are the path to educating, it is difficult to talk to those who only listen to the babble of the news media, I don’t trust any of them, well maybe Rev Al and Martn Bashir. I do listem to LOD occasionally. Once again thanks to all of you for contributing the facts. At this point the only one I trust completely is PBO.

45. May 15, 2013 at 2:06 pm

The thing that is so stupid about these hearings is that they are just for show. Afterall, Congress writes the laws. If they are written in such a way they are not providing the desired protections, rewrite them. This is dumb sh*t.

May 15, 2013 at 2:07 pm
    May 15, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I haven’t yet read all the comments on this post (and my position is not meant to criticize anyone) but I would like to ask us to consider that if we publicly stand up for our Pres in EVERY situation it’s the only ‘fair’ thing to do.

48. 130 Linda
    May 15, 2013 at 2:08 pm

oh brother….now they are complaining about ” targeted ” groups.

Excuse me…..but didn’t they “target” ACORN and Planned Parenthood ?

Un effing believable

May 15, 2013 at 2:08 pm
  50. May 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm

And what is this push to find criminal violations? They always want to lock someone up. We don’t have enough people in prison.

51. May 15, 2013 at 2:10 pm

GA TOD…….Donna, thank you so much for sharing! Chips, as always, thank you for highlighting it.. along w/ a wonderful RS!

52. 136 japa21
    May 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm
  53. 137 cindy sweatt
    May 15, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Thank you Donna. All this crap is so frustrating. I am so thankful that our President is so calm and level headed. I just saw boner making a fool of himself. His hate speech is overshadowed by his tan.

54. 138 Jovie
    May 15, 2013 at 2:25 pm
  55. 139 Bill R.
    May 15, 2013 at 2:39 pm

There’s a pattern that repeats itself in the course of human evolution. There are great souls who are some steps ahead of most of humankind. They have a healing unitive vision of the potential of humankind and the unfolding of human community and the gift to communicate that vision and inspire others to share it. Our President Barack Obama is one of those great souls. He tolerates politics because it is a vehicle for achieving healing for all of us. Great souls who inspire transformation and the throwing off of chains of division, corruption, and selfishness will always inspire fear and reaction from those forces who want to take us back into ignorance, fear, and cruelty. We can expect that again and again. But our President believes and I believe that the power of love and healing is stronger and more enduring and that is why he moves people in this country and around the world, because his longing for healing for the world is also our longing. HIs conviction is also our own soul’s deepest conviction. This creates what the anthropologist, Rupert Sheldrake called a “morphogenic system” in other words a field of compassionate resonance. The compassionate intentionality of great souls resonates with the compassionate intentionality of other souls, and the result is the rising up of a “field of compassion” where hearts are resonating.

Theoretical physics has formulated a new cosmology where all of the universe, all life and existence, is understood as a Quantum field. In this field everything, every being, every energy of thought and action, has an effect on every other element in the universal field. The election of Barack Obama created a huge morphogenic field of compassion that is growing in magnitude and resonance. It is important for all of us who are aware of this resonance to continue to stay focused on what is real and true in this endeavor, as one cell of this compassionate field, and not get caught up in the false drama and diversions of the media noise, and continue to stay focused on the healing intentionality that bring us to this online community and to support that energy both within us and in the wider world, supporting that effort and that state of being in the public life of our nation and our world. I believe that is the track our President is on, and would wish also for us. It does not mean we yield the political field to our adversaries, but it does mean staying grounded in compassionate resonance.

56. 140 nathkatun7
    May 15, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Thank you Donna for this thoughtful and timely commentary.

57. 141 prettyfoot58
    May 15, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Awsomeeeeeeeee threadddd….

We are the solidiers…standing in defense….HA!

58. 143 purpleshoesla