May

Rise and Shine

Saturday: The President has no public events scheduled

Sunday:

8:0 AM The President departs the White House

9:50: Arrives Atlanta, Georgia

11:0: Attends Morehouse College commencement and delivers the commencement speech

2:10: Delivers remarks at a DSCC event at The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation, Atlanta

3:10: Departs Atlanta

4:55: Arrives the White House

(Photo: Pete Souza, 2009)

The Week Ahead:

Monday: The President will welcome President Thein Sein of Myanmar to the White House. Since President Obama’s historic trip to Rangoon last November, the United States has continued to advocate for continued progress on reform by President Thein Sein’s government, in close cooperation with Aung San Suu Kyi, civil society leaders, and the international community.

Tuesday: Will attend meetings at the White House.

Wednesday: Will attend meetings at the White House, and in the evening, as part of their “In Performance at the White House” series, the President and the First Lady will host a concert honoring singer-songwriter Carole King, who will be awarded the 2013 Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song.

Thursday: Will attend meetings at the White House.

Friday: Will travel to Annapolis, Maryland, to deliver the commencement address at the U.S. Naval Academy.

Media Matters: ABC News & The Whitewater Tactics At The Center Of The Scandal Machine

…. ABC’s flawed reporting on the emails, based on selective leaks, has led to questions about reporter Jonathan Karl’s future, vividly demonstrating the consequences of this type of press manipulation. But whether fellow journalists – and viewers – will demand accountability from Karl remains to be seen.

It’s the Whitewater experience, which GOP leaders are reportedly skittish of repeating, that provides a blueprint for accountability over this type of press manipulation.

…. Will the media, which once again saw one of their own get burned by relying on selective leaks in furtherance of a hunting of a president, demand accountability this time?

Full post here

The more you look at this report, the more (literally) incredible it is – and thrown in, for good measure, edits of Jay Carney (from 0:18) to make him look like a bumbling fool. Truly, Fox out-Foxed by ABC.

Michael Tomasky: Will ABC Finger the Liar?

….. ABC News, if you ask me, has had a worse week than Obama, not that as many people are paying attention. But consider. CNN and Jake Tapper got the actual emails, proving beyond a doubt that ABC and Karl were wrong. And on CBS, Scott Pelley and Major Garrett took the unheard of step of basically calling news gatherers at a fellow network liars.

…. The record up to today suggests that the government is a good measure more trustworthy than ABC News–and, don’t forget, than whoever it was (surely a GOP source of some kind) who lied to Karl in the first place.

Full post here

More at Mediaite

Mediaite: Does Jon Karl Have The Juice To Survive Benghazi Email Controversy?

….. Even the best reporter can get played by a source with an ax to grind, but by presenting that source’s misinformation as a series of direct quotes from emails that the source made up, Jonathan Karl bought and paid for the consequences, and so did ABC News. They both owe their viewers, and this White House, an apology.

Full post here

In light of current events, an interesting read from 2011:

See here

In which Politico becomes a parody of itself -

Their Editor-in- Chief, John Harris: “I find myself asking the question which we often ask around here: WWCD – What Would Cheney do?”

Seriously, watch:

Also love the reference to “miscalculations” on Iraq. Miscalculations??

From yesterday:

‏@jmcaninch68

USA Today: Carole King has a friend in President Obama.

The White House announced Friday that the president and first lady Michelle Obama will host a concert on Wednesday to honor King, 2013 recipient of the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song.

Among the scheduled performers: James Taylor, Gloria Estefan, Billy Joel – :cry: – Jesse McCartney, Emeli Sande and Trisha Yearwood, as well as King herself.

More here

Steve Benen: First up from the God Machine this week is a story out of South Florida, in which a mayoral candidate claimed an unusual political endorsement, which did not turn out especially well.

I’ve reported on developments at the intersection of religion and politics for a good chunk of my career, but I don’t recall ever seeing a politician claim to have been literally endorsed by Jesus Christ…..

More here

MoooOOOooorning!

168 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. May 18, 2013 at 10:58 am

Good Morning Chipsticks, TODers…Everyone!!!

2. 5 cookemom
    May 18, 2013 at 10:58 am

Hi-de-ho to all my O’s!!!! I see we’ve finally risen and shizen on this great getting up day for a TOD picnic!

I’m crossing my fingers that we’ve finally broken the back of winter, because today I’m moving the indoor plants outside and doing the winter to summer clothes closet/trunk conversion. Tomorrow is the deck cleaning and protection applications, lawn furniture stuff, weeding/feeding, and hopefully a great Memorial Day celebration. All this just in time to pack it all away again in a few months. That’s Chicago for you. Blink and a new season is upon us.

• 6 kathryn kivett
      May 18, 2013 at 11:13 am

Good Morning….you are doing the smart thing….I did it a month ago in NC and lost everything I had to frost the first of May…that’s unheard of in the South…..Now the weeds have made my yard a jungle and had to replant everything.

• 7 cookemom
        May 18, 2013 at 11:21 am

I learned my lesson. Several years ago I lost my house plants, which are veeeerry temperature sensitive, after a cold front moved through in JUNE! I didn’t bring them in overnight, and even though they fought so valiantly, they just couldn’t survive, . I still carry the heavy burden of guilt.

3. May 18, 2013 at 10:59 am

Morning Swb. Morning all.

4. 10 japa21
    May 18, 2013 at 11:00 am

42 from 19 mill, I’ll miss it because I have to run, but go ahead and party without me.

• May 18, 2013 at 11:12 am

Ha, thank you our human calculator!!

• 12 dotster3
      May 18, 2013 at 11:18 am

I’m not so sure Karl was taken for a fool. I think he was a more than willing participant, especially after reading about his background and grooming to be a conservative infiltrator in our mainstream news media. Frightening revelation, actually. The shame is the silence and non-action by ABC News, keeping such an unethical person in their employ after his dirty deeds have been exposed.

May 18, 2013 at 11:23 am

How many of we Obama supporters have contacted ABC and let them know what we think about Jonathan Karl and the lies?

• 15 Lovepolitics2008
        May 18, 2013 at 12:12 pm

You beat me to it, dotster3. Karl is a right wing hack, and I bet he’s very good friends with a lot of republican congressional staffers…

5. May 18, 2013 at 11:03 am

Chips thanks for excellent R&S.

May 18, 2013 at 11:04 am

Great round-up Chiparoo. Glad that some in the media are holding Jon Karl and ABC responsible. What Jon Karl did is beyond the pale.

• May 18, 2013 at 11:16 am

Thanks a million UT. The more I think about what Karl did, the more scandalous it is. I hope there is no let-up on ABC until this guy goes.

• 24 carolyn
      May 18, 2013 at 11:18 am

About time the media began to hold these people responsible. I will continue my one person email campaign to get ABC to apologize to the president and viewers, and to fire Jon Karl. Perhaps I’m just a voice crying in the wilderness, but combined with the media calls, maybe something will have to happen.

May 18, 2013 at 11:27 am

carolyn, I have been sending emails too and I will continue to send them.

• 26 carolyn
          May 18, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Good, Anniebella. As I reiterate here, numbers are what they check. The more we write, the higher the number, the more chance something will actually be done.

7. May 18, 2013 at 11:10 am

Chipsticks, as usual a fantastic Rise and Shine and great summary of the week.

Enjoying watching the RWNJs and MSM unraveling. Their faux scandals are being revealed as a bunch of nonsense and their own scandals are coming to light.

8. 28 GGAIL
    May 18, 2013 at 11:12 am

Good West Coast Saturday morning Chipsticks & TOD family!

May 18, 2013 at 11:13 am

10. 30 Roberta in MN
    May 18, 2013 at 11:17 am

Good Moring Chips & TODer’s from the great Northern Tundra. :) What an excellent R&S. Just catching up from yesterday, the day before, the day before that. :). We are finally getting some nice weather here, warm, today partly sunny. Had rain in the afternoon, everything is so green. Love it. I am posting some of the pictures to my FB page. Have a good one, then have some errands.

11. 31 MightyPamela
    May 18, 2013 at 11:18 am

Y’all! {{{{{{Chipsticks}}}}}} {{{{{{{PBO}}}}}}} {{{{{{TOD}}}}}}. Whew, that’s a LOT of hugs!! :lol:

12. 33 sonjiaduncan
    May 18, 2013 at 11:18 am

Good morning TOD! What a change a week makes. Thanks to our Chips and all who really bring us the real News.

13. May 18, 2013 at 11:18 am

Only religious references from now on should be a huge Mea Culpa from the Media! Good morning everyone.

14. 35 kathryn kivett
    May 18, 2013 at 11:19 am

OK, I can get that you trust your source and publish what they give you……what I can’t stomach is not apologizing for and revealing who gave you the lies after you find out about it…..now that is just not having any integrity…….could you ever believe anything else he published?….and as far as the source…..to pull that kind of stunt is bordering on treason….

• 36 kathryn kivett
      May 18, 2013 at 11:20 am

Once again, that was supposed to be up under ABCgate.

• May 18, 2013 at 11:48 am

Assuming that it was a staff member who leaked the email, obviously the staffer was determined to be dispensable. If a name does come out, congress person will claim that the staffer was acting on his/her own and that staffer will take the fall.

15. 38 sonjiaduncan
    May 18, 2013 at 11:21 am

Wow! 19,000,221 hits, way to go TOD!!!

16. May 18, 2013 at 11:24 am

GM Chips, TOD….awesome RS as usual.. Congrats on first Swbluega.

17. May 18, 2013 at 11:27 am

G’morning, Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone, and congrats swbluega on #1! :)

Excellent round-up Chips – many thanks!

18. 55 mtmarilyn
    May 18, 2013 at 11:30 am

Good morning Chips and TOD family!!!! It is a cool rainy morning in MT. We sure can use this rain. What a week!!! Our President is the best! We must keep remembering him and his family in our prayers. There really are more of us then them. They just have the media and the rwnj nut jobs. Thank you zizi for your wonderful post. We must all get out this time. This is for us.

Once again thank you for Chips and all you wonderful blog tyrants!!!! This place is the tops!!!!!!

19. May 18, 2013 at 11:31 am

Completely off topic.

But you guys, I had an experience on my morning walk today. So, my sister who lives in Maryland and I here in Florida, we try to walk regularly. We talk on the phone until we complete our hour. We start off and always end up at home at the same time. Anyway, so this morning I am almost home, just about to turn the corner to go to my house. On the corner street is a house that I have NEVER seen anyone in, although there are always about four cars parked in the drive way.

So just as I was about to pass this house, there is a young man on the porch, could have been anywhere from 14-17. He had what appeared to be a gun in his hand. He appeared to have been trying to bend it like when they open it up to put bullets in. In any case, he seemed to be struggling to get that done. When I saw him, I froze. I lowered my voice, told my sister I was turning around because of what I had just seen. I gingerly marched right back down the hill and walked another 15 minutes the other way to my house.

I didn’t want him to be messing with that thing and hit me accidently. Because of course, I could hear them now saying he was standing his ground. I high tailed it out of there like never before.

Despite being scared to death, I did get another 15 minutes of walk in.

Whew!

• May 18, 2013 at 11:36 am

That is terrifying Africa, have you any idea who he was? Was that house always empty, or do you think he lives there?

• May 18, 2013 at 11:44 am

I have never, ever seen anyone come out of that house. I go pass it whenever I walk. And there’s always been about four cars lined up in the drive way. But never, ever seen anyone come out. I don’t know if the kid lives there. But that was waaaaay scary. He seemed to not know what the heck he was doing.

• 60 mtmarilyn
      May 18, 2013 at 11:42 am

Oh my goodness, africatimes2!!!!! Good for you for turning around. I think in these times we do need to be very vigilant. My thoughts are with you.

• 62 MightyPamela
      May 18, 2013 at 11:43 am

Yikes, Africa. Good thinking to get outta there…

• 64 GGail
      May 18, 2013 at 12:09 pm

WOW, africa!!!! glad you were able to backtrack safely.

• 66 jackiegrumbacher
      May 18, 2013 at 12:37 pm

It was smart of you to turn quickly around and get out of the way. That young man was in danger of hurting himself as well as you and heaven knows what would have happened then. I’ve never seen anyone sit on a porch with a gun, but my heart be in my throat if I did. Glad you’re home safe.

20. May 18, 2013 at 11:32 am

21. 68 GGAIL
    May 18, 2013 at 11:34 am

Over 19 million hits! Way to go Chipsticks!!!!

22. May 18, 2013 at 11:34 am

Bringing this over from the previous post…

Blog tyrants, I have an idea for a future Night Owl Music Chat…

There are a number of music/movie buffs on this blog. There are many movie theme songs, songs created for movies, songs made popular in movies, etc. I thought a good Night Owl movie chat might be one with some favorite songs from movies. I’m sure a lot of you have some favorites from movie classics to more recent movies.

Some songs that come to mind are
    • “Lara’s Theme” from Dr. Zhivago
    • “Moon River” from Breakfast at Tiffany’s
    • “In the Arms of the Angel” from City of Angels
    • “ St. Elmo’s Fire Love Theme” from St. Elmo’s Fire
    • “The Glory of Love” from The Karate Kid
    • “Up Where We Belong” from An Officer and A Gentleman
    • “Evergreen” from A Star is Born
    • “Aquarius” from Hair
    • “What A Feeling” from Flashdance

Would love to know what movie songs other TODers like.

May 18, 2013 at 11:44 am

GM folks.

May 18, 2013 at 11:45 am

Congrats Chips.

25. 100 cookemom
    May 18, 2013 at 11:46 am

In deference to Chips and her ishness time table, I suggest that all timepieces, analog and digital to be revamped to include an ‘ish’ option.

Here’s how I see it.

On an analog timepiece there would be an ‘ish’ hand. There would also be a sixth dot that appears after each number 1 thru 12. When the ‘ish’ hand lands on this new dot, then the time is whatever number is closest to the ‘ish’ dot. So for example, if the hour hand is on 1 and the minute hand is on 3 and the ‘ish hand is on the new sixth dot between the 7 and 8, then it is either 1:15, or 7:15, or 1:18, or 8:73, or…….

On digital clocks there would be a setting button to indicate you want the ‘ish’ option. Sorta like the am/pm set button option. It would read am/pm/ish. If you elect ‘ish’, your reading would display, for example: 1:53:15 am/ish, or 12:pm/ish, or just plain ish:ish am.

Though I don’t know if anyone other than a TODster would understand ishness, I think it’s well worth the effort to make this a world standard.

• 101 amk for obama
      May 18, 2013 at 11:48 am

Drunk, aren’t ya ?

• 102 cookemom
        May 18, 2013 at 11:55 am

BWWHHAAAA!!! So that’s what I get after taking darn near the entire morning to come up with a sure fire way for Chips to remain timely? I think it’s fool proof and certainly deserves a modicum of consideration. Drunk indeed….hmmph! I resemble that remark!!

26. 103 forus50
    May 18, 2013 at 11:47 am

Great Rise and Shine – thanks Chipsticks!!!

And woo hoo I got a tweet comment back from Dan Pfeiffer about that scumbag Jonathan Karl. Keep the pressure on ABC to apologize and to fire him.

27. May 18, 2013 at 11:51 am

28. 106 africa
    May 18, 2013 at 11:53 am

29. 109 Nena20409
    May 18, 2013 at 11:54 am

GM ALL TODville Villagers :)

Great Post……Thanks Chips….

I am looking for that chart with Number of attacks at Embassies and Consulates during GW Bush—-reign 2001-2008. Please help, if you can.

• 110 cookemom
      May 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Here’re some and I’ve actually seen a comparison chart somewhere out in cyberspace, but I don’t remember where.

US Embassies & consulates attacked under Bush:

June 14, 2002, U.S. consulate in Karachi, Pakistan
      Suicide bomber kills 12 and injures 51.

February 20, 2003, international diplomatic compound in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
      Truck bomb kills 17.

February 28, 2003, U.S. consulate in Karachi, Pakistan
      Gunmen on motorcycles killed two consulate guards.

July 30, 2004, U.S. embassy in Taskkent, Uzbekistan
      Suicide bomber kills two.

December 6, 2004, U.S. consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
      Militants stormed and occupied perimeter wall. Five killed, 10 wounded.

March 2, 2006, U.S. consulate in Karachi, Pakistan
      Suicide car bomber killed four, including a U.S. diplomate directly targeted by the assailants.

September 12, 2006, U.S. embassy in Damascus, Syria
      Gunmen attacked embassy with grenades, automatic weapons, and a car bomb (though second truck bomb failed to detonate). One killed and 13 wounded.

January 12, 2007, U.S. embassy in Athens, Greece
      A rocket-propelled grenade was fired at the embassy building. No one was injured.

July 9, 2008, U.S. consulate in Istanbul, Turkey
      Armed men attacked consulate with pistols and shotguns. Three policemen killed.

March 18, 2008, U.S. embassy in Sana’a, Yemen
      Mortar attack misses embassy, hits nearby girls’ school instead.

September 17, 2008, U.S. embassy in Sana’a, Yemen
      Militants dressed as policemen attacked the embassy with RPGs, rifles, grenades and car bombs. Six Yemeni soldiers and seven civilians were killed. Sixteen more were injured.

• 111 Nena20409
        May 18, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Thanks…..Cookemom. Thanks MightyPamela.

May 14th post…..OK, I will try and search for it. I need to send that chart to a One wicked Rightie.

• 112 MightyPamela
      May 18, 2013 at 12:07 pm

LP’s post, Soft on Terrorism, May 14th. Sorry, do not know how to link you to it.

30. 114 africa
    May 18, 2013 at 11:54 am

Me to Roger Simon

31. 116 dotster3
    May 18, 2013 at 11:56 am

They were shootin’ ‘em up in Chicago again last night, “at least” 11 shot, 3 fatally, including a teenager. One incident involved 2 guys shooting into a crowd gathered for a prom party with AK-47s or some Tec-9 automatic pistols. CBS 48 Hours is airing a special tonight on Chgo’s gun, gang and drug violence, following a 6 mo. investigation. The Hadiya Pendleton case will be a part of it, parents interviewed.

32. May 18, 2013 at 11:56 am

I just wanted to drop in to say that I have it on good authority that fellow TODer “Blackman” (a Morehouse grad) will be attending the commencement where President Obama is speaking tomorrow.

Lucky man!!!!! I know I’ll be demanding a full and complete report.

May 18, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Someday soon, we’ll be right there. :D

34. May 18, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Goood moorrnninggg, Chips and TODville!! Wow, whatta week.

COS, are you still in SF? If you are and you have time, would love to buy you a cuppa coffee or tea or a glass of whatever!!

35. 127 anniebella
    May 18, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I just sent ABC News another email concerning that liar Jonathan Karl.

36. 128 globalcitizenlinda
    May 18, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Chips, remember the suspicion that we had about ABC’s Jonathan Karl and the fact that he had an “exclusive” access to Benghazi emails just a few days after he asked PBO the foolish “juice question”?

Our conclusion was that Jon Karl was someone to keep a very close an eye on.

Guess our instincts were well-founded about some creepy!

Before his latest role in dissemination of the Deliberately Edited Benghazi Emails, I had not bothered to read more about Jonathan Karl’s back ground in DC politics.

Please review Karl’s background and you will find that he is someone who the republicans (including Ken Starr & Trent Lott) are very comfortable about giving breaking news about political events that are crucial to what happens in DC. I did not know that he was the first to report contents of Ken Starr’s report. He has followed republicans around the campaign trail and in their positions in government.

Is me wonder, is Karl one of the channels through which gop lies are mainstreamed?

37. 130 Nena20409
    May 18, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Wow! Congratulations Ms. Chips….19,000, 817 Hits….Wow! Congrats!

Now to 20,000, 000 Hits by Aug 2013 :)

May 18, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Irony just let out a loud guffaw.

39. 136 cookemom
    May 18, 2013 at 12:20 pm

From my inbox:

Take a minute and read this — you’re going to want to share it.

A 7-year-old boy named Myles recently wrote to Vice President Biden to suggest a way to make the world a safer place: make bullets out of chocolate.

You’ll love how the Vice President responded:

Dear Myles —
    I am sorry it took me so very long to respond to your letter.
    I really like your idea. If we had guns that shot chocolate, not only would our country be safer, it would be happier. People love chocolate.

You are a good boy.
    — Joe Biden

This is pretty darn cute all around. And it makes you stop and think about just how obvious the need is in America to finally address gun violence.
    Myles has a plan. Why can’t Congress pass one?

Thanks,
    Organizing for Action

40. 137 Lovepolitics2008
    May 18, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Reflecting of the whole Benghazi/ABC!John Karl brouhaha…. One of the consequences is that the DC journalists will now be suspicious EVERY TIME a republican gives them some “scoop”.

Isn’t it sweet karma that the whole effort by republicans to throw mud at President Obama has resulted in republicans themselves losing even more credibility ??

• 138 globalcitizenlinda
      May 18, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I hope you are right!

But the fact that the DC press still believes the same gop that lied a nation into the Iraq war and was aided by this same press, make me think that they have learned nothing

• 139 99ts
        May 18, 2013 at 7:03 pm

They surely are the slowest learners on the planet – Since about 1997 – they have accepted all the GOP lies as truth & continue to do so.

May 18, 2013 at 12:22 pm

James Morrison’s tweets are giving me life. :D

42. 142 africa
    May 18, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Be forewarned.

43. 143 africa
    May 18, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Deep cover for Jon Karl’s own deep throat.

44. May 18, 2013 at 12:33 pm

45. 145 cookemom
    May 18, 2013 at 12:34 pm

So I just read on a really RWNJ site that they think the whole IRS scandal is not really about PBO. They are saying that because this happened under a Bush IRS appointee, that it’s the elite Republicans attempt to go after the tea party 501C4 applicants.

The circus is in town, and the clowns are on the loose.

• 146 globalcitizenlinda
      May 18, 2013 at 1:40 pm

we knew that at the end, issues staged to attack PBO often result into some form of backfiring to the originator.

can imagine chaos among gop ranks if tea party follows the argument you are indicating here

46. 147 Jovie
    May 18, 2013 at 12:36 pm

May 18, 2013 at 12:44 pm

As far as I am concern Benghazi was only a scandal in the mind of the right wing Obama haters, and the anti-Obama media. Losing those 4 Americans was bad, but where was the scandal?

47. 149 miranda
    May 18, 2013 at 12:37 pm

GM Chips and Tod family just in case you guys don’t know , Jay Carney’s wife is Jon Karls BOSS

• May 18, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Miranda, she’s a senior correspondent at ABC, I doubt that makes her Karl’s boss?? Or has her role changed there?

• 151 Nena20409
      May 18, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Besides, CLaire Shipman or something like that is her name…..ABC severely reduced her reporting, actually, Zero reporting on anything to do with pres Obama and his Team.

Sorry Miranda……Please Link your source…….I heard this from Her many years ago. This was when her Husband was VP Biden’s Press Secretary.

May 18, 2013 at 12:37 pm

49. May 18, 2013 at 12:38 pm

May 18, 2013 at 12:45 pm

51. 156 Linda
    May 18, 2013 at 12:46 pm

This is hilarious from last night.

52. 160 miranda
    May 18, 2013 at 12:50 pm

She is the DC bureau chief for ABC i’m i wrong

53. 162 Nena20409
    May 18, 2013 at 12:56 pm

ABC # 212-456-7776

Caution…..it very difficult to get to leave a message.

54. 164 Nena20409
    May 18, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Pardon Me Chips and Fellow TODers from posting from this site…..But form a rightie site and their “reporting” on Claire Shipman

So Miranda….I am not sure where….pardon me you got your “facts”

55. 165 miranda
    May 18, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Hi Nena i don’t have a link, but i was on LiberalPhenom TL this am and Scott Finney was talking about it thanks

56. 166 globalcitizenlinda
    May 18, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I think that Democrats are missing the opportunity to expose the obvious way media types are regularly attacking PBO with GOP talking points – a factor that explains the Benghazi Email forgery.

Because, I suspect that there is an elected official who is involved in this huge document forgery that has further facilitated gop’s doing the people’s legislative business, I decided to ask FBI to investigate WHO edited the emails.

57. 168 miranda