May

Keep Chatting Away

144 Responses to “Keep Chatting Away”

1. 14 Ladyhawke
    May 23, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Obama Masterfully Uses Code Pink Heckler To Make His Case That GITMO Must Be Closed

By: Jason Easley

————————

Do you want to know why President Obama let her speak? This is going to come as a shock to the far left, but Obama agrees with her on the basic idea that GITMO must be closed. By letting the Code Pink protester ramble on, President Obama got his message about Congress needing to authorize the transfer of detainees out of GITMO on the frontpage of every website, and it will be the lead story all over cable news tonight.
    In March, Republicans admitted that they are the ones who are preventing GITMO civilian trials, yet groups like Code Pink continue to blame Obama.
    Obama handled the heckler beautifully, and the whole thing worked out to his advantage, because now the world will get to see who is really preventing the closure GITMO.

—————————————-

• May 23, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Why not go heckle Mitch McConnell? Because that would be too much like right. And it’s not only Republicans either. Last time they put this to a vote in Congress a ridiculous number of Democrats went along.

Code Pink is tired.

• May 23, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Yes, that’s the sad thing. Democrats had the numbers to close Guantanamo down but caved to the Republicans. Code Pink should heckle those Dems who caved and the Rethugs who opposed closure in the first place.

• May 23, 2013 at 4:29 pm

2. May 23, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Great speech. I listened to it while I was going home on the bus. Passionate and informed: what I want in a President.

May 23, 2013 at 4:20 pm

4. May 23, 2013 at 4:23 pm

CSPAN link to the President’s fine policy speech – http://www.c-span.org/flvPop.aspx?id=10737439779

#TrustBarack

5. 29 prettyfoot58
    May 23, 2013 at 4:24 pm

6. May 23, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Ok, I have to go back and read the last thread, as my time got hijacked.

I swear, I’m a warlock. I’ll say “Oh, I haven’t seen such and such patron for a couple of months”, and sure as the sun rises they’ll show up the next day.

And, the two times we’ve had to close the library building down due to an emergency, I’ve been charge both times. I’m now waiting for the cleaning crew to arrive and clean up the mess one of our patrons left. I won’t go into details, but UGH.

7. 35 Nena20409
    May 23, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Addressed the heckler.

8. 38 prettyfoot58
    May 23, 2013 at 4:31 pm

May 23, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Even Nancy Smash is using cartoons to mock House Republicans!

• 40 prettyfoot58
        May 23, 2013 at 4:42 pm

hahahaha,,,,

Jackie….as you know …Emily’s List endorsed Alyson Schwartz for Gov…what are your thoughts about her

May 23, 2013 at 5:05 pm

pf – Don’t really know much about her (maybe one of our TODers from Pennsy can help), but she’s got some great credentials “on paper”:

• 42 jackiegrumbacher
            May 23, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Checking in very late, PF and JOB, because I was visiting with our beautiful, adorable grandbaby all day and ran into horrendous traffic on the way home. I’ve never met Alyson Schwartz or heard her speak, but there are some people who say she won’t win in Western PA because she ran a women’s health clinic that performed some abortions. As outrageous as this attitude is, I’ve heard some union men say that she won’t be able to overcome this. She had better get out early on this issue or the R’s will bury her in it, spending heaps of money to turn her into an abortion doctor. It will get very ugly, but PA is anything but an enlightened state.

May 23, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Well, I’m sorry to hear that news about Alyson Schwartz, because – you are right – the nutjobs will go after her. Maybe the current governor will continue going down in the polls and it’ll even out. Sigh.

But your news that you spent time visiting with your beautiful, adorable grandbaby all day was good to hear! I’ll see my great grandson in about a week and a half, and I can’t wait.

May 23, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Quick visit home for lunch, but here is text of PBO speech today:

Will read more and try and watch when I get back home:) Last day with the kiddos! Almost summer vacation for me!!!!

10. 47 japa21
    May 23, 2013 at 4:50 pm

11. 48 Ladyhawke
    May 23, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Matt Murphy ‏@MattMurph24 8m

————————————–

The GOP is simply jealous of the brilliance, demeanor, poise, and successful track record of PBO.

———————————————-

12. 49 prettyfoot58
    May 23, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Virtually every counterterrorism path that a president pursues is a trade-off–a little security here for a piece of your liberty there; 10 innocents killed in exchange for a thousand later saved–and it’s just so damn refreshing to hear a president admit it rather than suppress it through a fog of uberheroic, hyperpatriotic neocon bullshit. Wars do compromise our values; we eventually become what we hate;

• 50 pkayden
      May 23, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I’m not sure how I feel about drones but I understand that President Obama is a “damned if I do, damned if I don’t” situation in fighting terrorists overseas.

May 23, 2013 at 7:46 pm

If you are enemies of the United States, you are member of some terrorists group who is plotting to kill Americans, I have no promlem with drones being used to hunt you down. None at all.

13. 52 japa21
    May 23, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Well, as usual, Pierce does excellent analysis.

The process of making the presidency an office with far more power in foreign affairs than the Founders intended took decades. The process of putting a sharp edge on that office took less than one. Give this president some credit. At least he knows what a deadly weapon his office is.”

Read more: Obama Counterterrorism Speech – The President’s Tightrope Walk – Esquire
    Follow us: @Esquiremag on Twitter | Esquire on Facebook
    Visit us at Esquire.com

14. May 23, 2013 at 4:56 pm

If no one has watched “Star Trek: Into Darkness”, let me just say that the themes President Obama touched upon—how we become what we hate if we let war blind us—were the movie’s themes. I know, I’m a writer, so I’m always looking for parallels in art; however, pretty striking.

• May 23, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I saw it LL.

Soon as I have a bit more time, I plan on writing a review of it, but my reviews tend to be more superficial and less cerebral…lol

May 23, 2013 at 4:59 pm

To honor one of my mother’s favorites (and Obama-supportin’ George Clooney’s aunt, of course)!

• 61 jackiegrumbacher
      May 23, 2013 at 9:46 pm

JOB, I loved Rosemary Clooney. She was a beautiful woman with an incredible voice. I hoped she’s always remembered.

16. 62 Nena20409
    May 23, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Finally You Tube has the 58 Mins Plus Speech

17. 63 vitaminlover
    May 23, 2013 at 5:04 pm

MY President put that heckler in check.

18. May 23, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I GOT MY PIZZA!!!!

nom nom nom

19. 74 Jovie
    May 23, 2013 at 5:10 pm

20. 82 Ladyhawke
    May 23, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Matt Murphy ‏@MattMurph24 4m

———————————-

No Chris Matthews it’s not “Clintonesque” it’s Obamaesque!

———————————————

• 83 Nena20409
      May 23, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Ladyhawke, are you still watching that Chameleone? The guy has No core. He is nothing, but a painted Sepulcher masquerading as a smart pundit. He is a talking Head.

• 84 Ladyhawke
        May 23, 2013 at 5:22 pm

No, lately I just feel dirty watching the gasbags and their instant and constant analysis of everything President Obama does. They can’t stay out of his head. It’s infuriating. I just can’t take Tweety anymore. Right now I am hoping that Lawrence O’Donnell will have Joy Reid on tonight. I want to hear her analysis. I just think she is terrific. The best political analyst on MSNBC.

21. May 23, 2013 at 5:14 pm

How anyone can fail to understand a man as clear spoken, precise and eloquent as PBO is beyond me and yet **&&^^% folks do it every day/

22. 87 Nena20409
    May 23, 2013 at 5:14 pm

This scum from TN who with all skeletons is only fined $500?
    Wow….How come the press is Not obsessed with his rotten behavior? No Journo asked any TBGOPer apparatus leader in DC how they allow such a wicked cheater in Congress.

It is from HP…..but please excuse me for this guy needs to be exposed.

23. May 23, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I missed the comments about POTUS prom pics. I was laughing at the 2nd pic of a note he wrote in a friends yearbook. Dude, POTUS was trying to mack on his friends girl…lol. Read the note…lol

I mean POTUS was macking hard…lol. Talking about, “extremely sweet and foxy”…lol “I hope we keep in touch even though Greg will be gone”…dude!

• 90 Nena20409
      May 23, 2013 at 5:20 pm

They have nothing so the media invades on the 17 yrs old? I have never seen a president looked at every aspect of his life. Last summer it was his former girlfriend in College at Columbia. Now 1979 prom pictures? Can they leave his private life alone and deal with his policies and treat this POTUS as the media had treated the 43rd POTUS’ before him.

• 92 prettyfoot58
      May 23, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I think you are projecting….smh

• May 23, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Wow this comment was completely in fun jest. Not meant to be “projecting” at all. It’s sad that 2 of ya’ll took it so seriously.

• 97 Nena20409
        May 23, 2013 at 6:10 pm

My comments were directed at the media…..not at you for I understood your points as you meant them.

May 23, 2013 at 5:32 pm

VP Joe Biden is presenting a category on Jeopardy! Freaking amazing.

25. May 23, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Calling for the repeal of #AUMF was simply stunning … along with many other exceptional aspects of President Obama’s major, strategic policy statement.

#TrustBarack

• May 23, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Moreover ….

#TrustBarack

May 23, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Brilliant, Bob. The “foxy” part is all over the place, but today’s speech? Not so evident.

• 102 yardarm756
          May 23, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I’m done. It’s time to hibernate again. Too many shit storms for me.

• 104 jackiegrumbacher
          May 23, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Once again, JOB, the lazy media can’t do anything that requires effort. You have to really think and listen to understand the scope of the president’s speech and to do that you have to have intelligence and some scope of reference. A child can look at a prom picture and giggle. The media are paid grown-up, professional wages, but they behave like children. They are beyond pathetic.

• 105 Nena20409
        May 23, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Great Tweet Bobfr.

What on green earth has a 17 yr old in a prom pose got to do with a 51 yrs old president and how exactly does that picture got to do with what are currently ailing Us today? The president gave a major speech today and all the media does is deal in trivial malarky To Distract and to distort.

26. 107 Jovie
    May 23, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Wow! Replaced?

27. May 23, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Ok, hate me now, but damn if Jon Stewart’s takedown was well worth seeing, even though I don’t watch TDS and Stewart is a big douche.

It deserves a click, for the “50 Shades of Grey-Gan” graphic alone. Oh and the “Nooney Tunes” segment title was good too.

Do yourselves a solid and check out the link. Yeah Stewart as been an ass lately, but this one was solid.

28. 117 Nena20409
    May 23, 2013 at 6:08 pm

This Chris Hayes is an idiot. These people yesterday stated categorically why they did what they did and he is calling them murderers? Hmm?

• May 23, 2013 at 6:50 pm

No, he said the President made an incredibly important point about making it clear these people are murderers and should not be a reason for perpetual war. Paraphrasing. I don’t like Chris Hayes either.

• 119 99ts
      May 23, 2013 at 8:26 pm

There is little (if any) difference between a “terrorist” who kills and a murderer. Calling them “terrorists” should stop. It gives them kudos they do not deserve – it gives them a “cause” they should not have. GWB had NO reason to take the US and its allies to war after 9/11 – so he called it a “war on terror”. It was his way to pretend he was fighting for freedom – or some such nonsense. Every murderer in the world – whether they kill 1 or 3000 are “terrorists” – the create terror for their victim/s.

29. 121 whatisworking
    May 23, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Greetings TODers

Today our local OFA delivered 3,600 signatures to Congressman Mike Thompson’s office in Santa Rosa.

Here is a video of the event set to a backdrop of a Newton parent’s statement.

I have been asked to tweet it with the hashtag

#NotBackingDown

If someone could do that I could retweet.

Read the blog everyday, too busy to post most days. We are making progress….

May 23, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Homeless teen graduates as high school valedictorian, will enter Spelman as college junior in fall

• 126 jackiegrumbacher
      May 23, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Wow, JOB, I’m so proud of this young woman. I hope she goes very far in life. With her determination there isn’t anything she can’t do.

31. May 23, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Evening everyone, will have a new post soon ….. ish.

32. 130 Jovie
    May 23, 2013 at 7:03 pm

May 23, 2013 at 7:20 pm

34. 136 anniebella
    May 23, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Oh I’m sure Rachel Maddow will have alot to say tonight.

35. 138 FiredUpInCA
    May 23, 2013 at 7:30 pm

After Hyping Solyndra, TV News Ignores Tesla’s Loan Repayment

On Wednesday, Tesla announced that it was paying back its $465 million Department of Energy loan with interest. The move came about nine years ahead of schedule and is expected to net taxpayers somewhere in the range of $15 to $26 million. Once derided as a “loser” by then-presidential candidate Mitt Romney and a “failure” by Fox News, Tesla is now profitable and critically-acclaimed.

Yet many in the media have ignored Tesla’s loan repayment, which flies in the face of the media narrative that Solyndra was representative of the Department of Energy’s loan guarantee program. Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, ABC and NBC have so far failed to cover Tesla’s loan repayment (CBS gave a news brief on its morning news show). An analysis by Media Matters showed that those same outlets (excluding CBS) devoted 188 segments totaling over 10 hours to Solyndra in the month after the company suspended operations…

36. 142 Anna
    May 23, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Wow………what a President we have, and I am proud to say I voted for him, TWICE! Love it when that stern, fire in the eyes is out there for all to see. Maddow will probably rag on about it not happening sooner, lots of times she ‘can not get off that dime’. An old boss used to say that when people could not move forward.

RSS OFA