May

President Obama in Moore, OK

President Obama embraces a school official as he views the devastation of the Plaza Towers Elementary School

Transcript of remarks

…. embracing Plaza Tower Elementary School Principal Amy Simpson

3b

…. with Gov. Mary Fallin

3c

***

Students, teachers and parents from Plaza Towers Elementary reunited for the first time since the tornado

President Obama speaking to first responders

3cc

4a

***

Touring the damage with Moore, OK mayor Glenn Lewis

3h

3i

3g

3e

3f

***

Briefing the the media and citizens

4aaa

***

President Barack Obama with Plaza Towers Elementary principle Amy Simpson outside the school

Departing Oklahoma

14a

President Obama boards Air Force One at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City with FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate after a tour to survey nearby tornado damage

President Obama “Moore is going to come back stronger”

MOORE — President Barack Obama met with family members of those lost in the Moore tornado as he stopped in Oklahoma for about three hours Sunday to survey storm damage.

The president met at Moore Fire Station No. 1 with relatives of those killed at Plaza Towers Elementary School.

Not long before that meeting, the president toured the wreckage of Plaza Towers, where he was greeted by Principal Amy Simpson. He hugged Simpson and spoke with her for several minutes. He also met with Moore School District Superintendent Susan Pierce and Briarwood Elementary School Principal Shelley McMillin.

“They were on the ground when this happened,” Obama said of Simpson and McMillin. “Because of their quick response, their keeping a level head, their putting kids first, saved a lot of people.”

Liveblog of the trip

130 Responses to “President Obama in Moore, OK”

1. 1 Judith Fardig
    May 26, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Hope the people of OK are comforted by our President!

2. May 26, 2013 at 5:31 pm

What a guy! Always there for everyone.

3. 5 Nena20409
    May 26, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Congrats JR for your Gold ;)

4. 6 Judith Fardig
    May 26, 2013 at 5:32 pm

We used to live in Tishomingo, OK during my husband’s tour with the USPHS.

May 26, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Sen Inhofe, is that you?? Reposting here because what OK just went through, is a direct result of these corporations and climate change deniers. That’s a FACT!

May 26, 2013 at 5:39 pm

The film’s website summarizes the film, and reveals facts pertaining to the efforts of Koch Industries and Exxon to dispel and dispute the science supporting climate change, as well as their role in the implementation of the controversial Citizens United ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court.
      According to the film’s official site:
      “Millions are spent each year by oil and related interests to fund the think tanks, groups, scientists and politicians waging what the film deems a campaign of deceit regarding the science of climate change and its dire impact on the planet.”

6. 10 Nena20409
    May 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Filibuster Usage is being abused.

Bob Dole….today with Chris Wallace on Fox…..YouTube.

7. May 26, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I love our President. Every tragedy that he has had to deal with during his Presidency, he has handled with such grace, humility and compassion. He feels their pain, yet is strong for them and speaks from the heart and from our hearts to the victims. People just have no idea the lasting impact his Presidency will have…..truly a paradigm shift of consciousness. And I know he will do amazing things post Presidency just as Clinton has. I’m so proud and so honored to have been a part of electing this man and supporting this Presidency and just bearing witness to it all.

May 26, 2013 at 5:46 pm

But GWB gets a pass…because, you know…freedumb

The military campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan, considered together, will be the most expensive war in American history. There are many ways to tally the costs. The price tag is estimated by Linda J. Bilmes of the Harvard Kennedy School to total somewhere between four and six trillion dollars. The decision to finance the wars almost entirely through borrowing has already added more than 1.3 trillion dollars to the national debt. And then there’s the direct human cost: more than six thousand soldiers have died, and up to another six thousand contractors.

At the intersection of the enormous economic costs and the incalculable human price of the war is figure that is even more difficult to contemplate: the estimated lost economic value of America’s war dead. Bilmes puts it at 44.6 billion dollars,

9. 14 JER
    May 26, 2013 at 5:49 pm

LIVE NOW: President Obama Arrives In Washington – http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

10. May 26, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Thank you LovelyPlains for the beautiful photos

11. 18 anniebella
    May 26, 2013 at 5:54 pm

That Oklahoma Governor look like she can be Gov. Jane Brewer’s daughter. Yuke .

May 26, 2013 at 5:57 pm

So I see that the Republicans had control of the Sunday morning shows today, lying again starting with Little Lying Lindsey Graham. And who the hell care what Newt has to say?

May 26, 2013 at 6:01 pm

No John McCain though:)

May 26, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Really no McCain. L.L.L Graham is just as bad as McCain.

• 22 Bill
          May 26, 2013 at 6:12 pm

When he is not on Sunday morning teevee chances are he is on a junkette overseas. The weekend Gabby Giffords was shot he was found in Cartagena, Colombia to comment. It was never disclosed why he was there. It is a long weekend you know.

• 23 99ts
            May 26, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Spot on Bill – all those houses and he never seems to spend any time in even one of them – DC – or out of the country.

12. 24 Nena20409
    May 26, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Watching The AF1 approach landing……awesome…..1st time ever ;)

13. 25 Nena20409
    May 26, 2013 at 5:56 pm

All Wheels are Touching Down………..Yeah.

14. 26 Nena20409
    May 26, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Since there are always 2 planes at least that accompanies the POTUS, how do they know which one that is indeed carrying the POTUS?

• 27 Sandy1110
      May 26, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I think they only do that with the Marine One helicopters – it’s called the “shell game”.

15. 28 anniebella
    May 26, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Did the President salute the soldier today? We can’t have another scandal. If he didn’t, Chipsticks get on the phone and remind POTUS that he forgot.

16. 30 yardarm756
    May 26, 2013 at 6:02 pm

OT

17. May 26, 2013 at 6:04 pm
  18. May 26, 2013 at 6:06 pm
  19. May 26, 2013 at 6:06 pm

“”I couldn’t let this go without doing something,’ Homer Hickam, a former NASA engineer who served as SpaceLab’s lead astronaut training manager and worked at the International Space Station, told ABC News.

May 26, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Bravo for his young girl.

• 38 globalcitizenlinda
      May 26, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Oh! this is a great turn of events!

I heard this student and her mother talking to Tom Joyner Morning Show (TMJS) a while back.

student sounded as though she was a little apprehensive about her prospects as future scientist.

the mother hinted at a substantial legal bill resulting from this incident.

hoping for the best for all

• 40 Nena20409
      May 26, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Superb. Well Done. Brava, young lady, Go get them…..the sky is indeed yours to Conquer. Please don’t ever let any fool distract you, ever. Good Luck.

• 41 MightyPamela
      May 26, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I hope she gets to meet Chris Hadfield, he is too too cool.

20. 43 globalcitizenlinda
    May 26, 2013 at 6:09 pm

thanks for the post LL! Great to see PBO on the ground – giving of himself as he best can.

for some reason, I am not able to see some of the photos in the post – will refresh & see of it helps

May 26, 2013 at 6:16 pm

In those pictures I looked at the damage done, Wow!!!!!! I’m going to send a donation to Red Cross. Because we never know .

21. 45 Jovie
    May 26, 2013 at 6:13 pm
  22. May 26, 2013 at 6:14 pm

President Obama’s commencement to Moorehouse grads still resonating on campus……..

23. May 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm
  24. May 26, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Wikipedia says that Brent Budowsky was “legislative assistant to former Senator Lloyd Bentsen:”

• 50 Nena20409
      May 26, 2013 at 6:20 pm

2014……. :?: I hope so. We have got to show up and make it a reality.

May 26, 2013 at 6:22 pm

You have to be careful who you pal up with, you may think they may help you destroy your so call enemy, but they just might end up destroying you. Watch out GOP, you will regret the day you team up with the Tea Party. You both will end up destroying each other.

• 52 Arnie
      May 26, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Get a load of the comments section in the article. Wingnut overload.

• 53 99ts
      May 26, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Rare to read something from the Hill that speaks for truth – He sure recognizes the disaster that was Palin.

25. 54 prettyfoot58
    May 26, 2013 at 6:18 pm

they did not invite POB for the prayer service scheduled for 7pm….

if it was up to me….I would give the people of OK one dime in disaster relief..

• 55 Gazelle62
      May 26, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Maybe he does not feel bad about not attending, after all he spent time with the important people, the families and first responders.

May 26, 2013 at 6:27 pm

prettyfoot58, It’s okay they didn’t invite POTUS. POTUS did his job, now he can head home in time for dinner with his family.

May 26, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I am going to believe not all people in Oklahoma are racists radical extreme Republicans, some are decent folks like you and i, not perfect. But when I hear prettyfoot58 talk about they didn’t invite POTUS to the prayer service, I think of the time POTUS was speaking some where and he took his hand and brush his shoulders, in other words brush the dirt off his shoulders. So in my opinion, no big deal he wasn’t invited. I rather see him home with FLOTUS, Malia, Sasha, Bo, Grandma, friends I know care about him, then people I am not sure like him one bit.

• 59 dotster3
      May 26, 2013 at 6:37 pm

The only reason I feel regret about it is most of those people probably avoid watching President Obama at any/every appearance, and they would have had a chance to see him as he really is, would have been exposed to his compassion and character maybe for the first time, perhaps would have touched some minds or caused some to stop and think a minute.

May 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm

dotster3, not buying it. These people have had five years to see this President, time and time again they have seen him show compassion to others who have suffer lost, they have seen his love for his family, they have seen him interact with little kids, I don’t think one would have stop and think if POTUS had showed up to that prayer service, mostly they wouldn’t have showed up. Of course I maybe wrong, but that is how I feel. He didn’t go to the prayer service, fine with me. I know this is part of POTUS job to comfort people who suffer lost, I also believe that maybe POTUS need a break.

May 26, 2013 at 6:57 pm

He need a break sometimes. Seeing so much sorry, destruction, pain, hurt, isn’t easy., it can weight on a person.

• 62 prettyfoot58
        May 26, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I know this is mean spirited of me….but the disrespect rankles me…

• 63 carolyn
      May 26, 2013 at 7:18 pm

prettyfoot…did you read somewhere a quote from a person who said the president was not invited to the prayer service? I live here, and haven’t heard anything about it, but this is my feeling:
      The President did what was important. He visited the site and the people. Gov. Fallin was glad to see him, and said so…the mayors of Moore and Oklahoma City welcomed him…..look at the pictures of people glad to see him. NOT everybody in Oklahoma dislikes the President. I know a good number of are very fond of him and respect him. I still see cars around OKC with Obama/Biden stickers on them, and it’s not fair to brush everybody in a state with the same brush.
      Look at the pictures….people lined up to greet him. He has received very good local press. They all felt thrilled that he came to town…this was big.
      He has been to enough memorial services this spring. He did not go to memorial services in either Joplin or Tuscaloosa….he visited the sites and the people. That is best. The service will be LOOOOONG…he needs his rest. He has a busy week.
      I know many on this blog have expressed very disdainful attitudes towards us this past week. Don’t judge the people by our Senators and governor, any more than we judge the people of Arizona by their governor and Senators.

• 64 prettyfoot58
        May 26, 2013 at 7:36 pm

yes…you are right Carolyn… I was responding to the fact that there was a service scheduled later in the day…after he leaves….I do not know all the facts…I suppose it was a knee jerk reaction…PBO himself would not want me to express such mean spirited thoughts….

• 65 globalcitizenlinda
        May 26, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I don’t know WHY PBO is not at the service – may be the reason you mention and maybe others.

Yes, some of the comments directed at OK as a whole are hurtful and very generalized to include many who deserve better.

I suspect that although people know that not all residents of OK hate PBO, the vocal ones are really disrespectful & filled with such venom & animist towards POTUS. these are the ones that cause some to respond to OK the way they do (which is not fair to all OK residents).

You are quite right about the silent OK residents who love & respect PBO. I must say, I was very pleasantly impressed by the number of comment on the stories on PBO that appear on KFOR’s Facebook page. Regular OK citizens were defending PBO and shaming/calling out the ones who were attacking PBO.

I even read comments from people who said that although they did not vote for PBO, they were glad he came to Moore & that he deserves all the respect & gratitude for his good & fast response

• 66 carolyn
          May 26, 2013 at 7:47 pm

thank you…..I have to admit I have felt quite upset by many of the comments leveled at ALL Oklahomans on this blog since Tuesday. I have not noticed this in the case of any other state when a disaster happened. I know our reps have been ungracious and mean, but they are not the entire population…..again, you know it’s like family: I can say what I think about my family if it’s negative, but I really don’t like to hear others talk mean about my family…….and my family is here, and so are many dear friends, all of whom love President Obama. Criticizing policy and elected leaders is one thing, but demeaning an entire population is quite another.

26. 67 prettyfoot58
    May 26, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I love watching the swagger of the President,,,

May 26, 2013 at 6:22 pm

MUST, MUST READ and PASS

To be presented as a series of 4 different categories of exploration:

The Koch Brothers Family History
    Koch Industries
    Bankrolling the Right Through Various Foundations
    Think Tanks and Academia They Bankroll In Order to Exercise Control

Should be very enlightening research!

• May 26, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Oooo, weee! Bookmarked, so I can keep up. Desert, all I have to do is find you on the thread to keep up with what is vital and important. You’re a treasure. Hat tip!!

May 26, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I’m blushing here! I just bounce around the tubes and I figure that if it strikes me as worthy, it’ll strike some of you the same way…..TOD family sharing!

May 26, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Oh yeah, baby! TP nuts in this state legislature are shitting bricks right now…..just sayin’!

• 85 99ts
      May 26, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Have to quote this sentence
      “…when crazy Jan Brewer is in an open war with her own party’s legislature over Obamacare, hell has nearly frozen over.”

29. 86 Nena20409
    May 26, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I went back this afternoon and listened to this speech again. At about 51:30-51 minutes, pres Obama said out loud (1st time for me) that We are housing People in an Island that doesn’t belong to Us. I had missed that part in my 4X previously that I have listened to this speech. This speech is still knocking me off my Rockers. Just brilliantly done. Bravo Mr. president. Bravo :!:

• 87 globalcitizenlinda
      May 26, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I caught that part the first time but I missed so many others. my plan is to watch this speech a few (read many) more times. there is simply too much thereto ponder

30. May 26, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I really hope the GOP will be undone and voted out of office due their undeniable stupidity.

31. May 26, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Dateline: Albany Oregon

“During a search of the residence, police officers found six home-made bombs, including pipe bombs, Molotov cocktails and napalm bombs under the floorboards in the suspect’s bedroom.”

• 90 globalcitizenlinda
      May 26, 2013 at 8:16 pm

how in the world did he manage to buy all this ammo and how come it did not blow up the whole place

32. 91 dotster3
    May 26, 2013 at 6:42 pm

NBC News tripling down on the AP story——aired some nonsense from Coburn and then Frank Sesno saying that the Obama administration is at war with the news media, harshly criticizing the president and Eric Holder They are really circling the wagons.

33. 95 anniebella
    May 26, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I have said this before and I believe it 100%, if the Republicans got hint that a terrorists attack against America were going to happen on such and such day, I honestly believe these Republicans would remain silent and aloud the attack to occur just so they could place the blame on POTUS. They hate this black President that much.

34. 96 vitaminlover
    May 26, 2013 at 7:06 pm

This is MY President. Also the show ‘Targeting Bin Laden’ is on the H2 channel.

35. 97 yardarm756
    May 26, 2013 at 7:15 pm

As I watched PBO in OK, this old song came to mind.

May 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Well, yes, Yardarm, I think you nailed it. And I’m pretty sure the President got it.

Oh, and, Oklahoma governor and some in the crowd – not everybody, but some – President Obama will be sleeping in the White House tonight, where we wanted him to be.

On a lighter note, love how those military men and women at Tinker are so happy to see him (always the case)!!! There’s hope!

May 26, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Always loved this song. Some things never change, do they?

May 26, 2013 at 7:22 pm
    • 103 99ts
      May 26, 2013 at 8:42 pm

While the GOP/media carries on with the make believe scandals – the administration carries on working for the people of the US.

May 26, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Chips – Love the couple of photos showing Pres. Obama’s reflection in the aircraft. One shiny object meets another shiny object! Thanks for giving us full coverage of his trip to OK.

38. 105 carolyn
    May 26, 2013 at 7:26 pm

One last word from me on the President in Oklahoma: If you look at picture 5, you will see the President shaking hands with Gov. Fallin. Look at her hands…..her right hand is shaking his right hand, and her left hand is covering both hands…..not what you or I expected to see. I think that shows at least her gratitude for what he and Craig Fugate have done.

• 106 vitaminlover
      May 26, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Keen observation, Carolyn.

• 107 globalcitizenlinda
      May 26, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Please don’t let this be your “last word on PBO in OK”.

I personally love t read and listen to reports from local news outlets & words of regular people. Please share if you come across something else about PBO in OK. thanks in advance

May 26, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I don’t make so much out of it carolyn, you remember that next time you hear that Governor trashing POTUS. I am sorry, but I don’t trust any of these Republicans. yardarm 756 put up the right song for them. I will keep believing that all people in Oklahoma don’t dislike POTUS.But those that do are mighty nasty.

• 110 99ts
      May 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm

The governor knows she needs all the help available – and I think was very please to have the President visit her state. It is such times that

• 111 99ts
        May 26, 2013 at 8:43 pm

woops – .. such times that politics can be forgotten.

May 26, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Tell that to the Republicans, see how at times like this they forget all about politics. That’s why Senator Tom Corburn, Oklohama Senator was sitting on tv Sunday morning trashing POTUS, instead of being in Moore, Ok with POTUS. I’m sure the Governor will appreciate what ever assistance the federal government can give. I never said she didn’t.

May 26, 2013 at 7:30 pm

As we near Memorial Day …

The brave die never, though they sleep in dust:
    Their courage nerves a thousand living men.

~Minot J. Savage

40. May 26, 2013 at 7:32 pm

NSFW (it’s Bill Maher, after all), but I truly believe that every American should hear what he has to say. How can they possibly refute his (funny) statements (even SE Cupp was laughing).

41. 121 kathryn kivett
    May 26, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Watching memorial mainly out of curiosity….it seems that this memorial is the Governor’s party….guess she didn’t want to be upstaged by PBO….I also read the comments on WFOR’s web page and honestly I don’t think I have ever heard so much hate spewed in one place in my life…..and this is after a tragedy…..what kind of people are these?…..They didn’t even ask PBO to speak at the memorial….I look at those children there and think how sad it is that most of them will probably grow up to be as classless as their parents?…… and all the while they are praying and pretending to be Christians….I’m sorry, I know there are bound to be some decent people in Oklahoma just like Carolyn but that damn Governor of theirs is not one of them………….but then I think, if he brought comfort to just one person it was worth his trip there.

• 122 COS
      May 26, 2013 at 8:16 pm

You are so right Kathryn; it is a shame. I always refrain from reading those hateful comments. It is funny how these representatives and governors from red states beg for federal aid, although they do not believe in “big government”. When that governor said that she was going to hold PBO’s feet to the fire on keeping his promises, it irritated me. She could have kept those words to herself.

42. 123 yardarm756
    May 26, 2013 at 8:05 pm

The National Memorial Day Concert is now on.

43. May 26, 2013 at 8:07 pm

A few pics of citizens lining the streets to greet PBO in Oklahoma today….

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• 125 globalcitizenlinda
      May 26, 2013 at 8:21 pm

thank you OK citizens who showed respect & love in the middle of so much challenge to your lives

May 26, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Wait a minute – is that woman with the yellow signs, Pamela, Hopefruit, JO’B, Cookemom, or Dudette? I didn’t realize that any of these ladies lived in Oklahoma; don’t tell me they traveled there for this occasion (to avoid excessive competition probably).

44. 127 majiir
    May 26, 2013 at 8:07 pm

l love PBO, but I love Craig Fugate, too, only not as much. Mr. Fugate has been an excellent head administrator of FEMA.

May 26, 2013 at 8:18 pm

He has! He proudly serves, and we are proud of him. Nothing to be ashamed of, with anybody in THIS administration.

45. 130 Jovie