May

Rise and Shine

Four years ago: President Obama and VP Biden escort Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the East Room of the White House where the President introduced her as his nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court, May 26, 2009 (Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

Today (all times EST):

9:45: President Obama departs the White House en route to the Oklahoma City area

12:50: Arrives in the Oklahoma City area

1:45: President Obama Views areas and visits families impacted the devastating tornadoes and thanks first responders (White House live)

2:15: President Obama makes a statement

4:50: Departs Oklahoma

7:30: Arrives at the White House

Monday:

9:30: The President and First Lady host a breakfast in honor of Gold Star Families

11:0: The President lays a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier; The First Lady also attends

11:20: The President delivers remarks

The Week Ahead:

Tuesday: The President will visit the Jersey Shore to view the rebuilding and recovery efforts underway following Hurricane Sandy’s devastating impact along the coastline last fall, including the efforts by local businesses to prepare for the 2013 summer season. The President, joined by Governor Chris Christie, will visit with families and business owners. On Tuesday evening, the President will deliver remarks at the AAPI Heritage Month Celebration at the White House.

Wednesday: The President will travel to Chicago for DCCC events. He will remain overnight in Chicago.

Thursday: The President will return from Chicago and attend meetings at the White House.

Friday: Meetings at the White House.

Comforter-in-Chief:

….. comforting people at Holt Elementary School in Holt, Ala., April 29, 2011. The President and First Lady traveled to Alabama to visit storm damaged neighborhoods and meet with families affected by deadly tornados (Photo by Pete Souza)

…. meeting residents during a tour of neighborhoods impacted by the deadly tornado in Joplin, Mo., May 29, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Joplin, Mo, May 29, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama greets a girl while touring a neighborhood affected by Hurricane Irene in Wayne, N.J., Sept. 4, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

….. greeting residents on Cedar Grove Avenue during a walking tour of Hurricane Sandy storm damage in Staten Island, Nov. 15, 2012 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama and Gov. Chris Christie talk with local residents at the Brigantine Beach Community Center, which was serving as a shelter for those displaced by Hurricane Sandy

President Obama hugs Donna Vanzant, the owner of North Point Marina, as he tours damage from Hurricane Sandy in Brigantine, N.J. (Photo by Pete Souza)

MoooOOOooorning everyone! 876 gazillion thanks to UT and LL for their posts yesterday, wasn’t able to get back to the blog ’til this morning. Will try to catch up-ish with newsie stuff later in the day … or in the morning.

Happy Sunday!

143 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

May 26, 2013 at 8:55 am

Well! Well!

May 26, 2013 at 8:56 am

Nice to see you are ‘risen and shining’. A very GOOD MORNING to you, Ms Chips! For a while there I thought you had moved and forgotten to notify me.

May 26, 2013 at 8:57 am

Please don’t leave me so all alone again. :cry: I wasn’t sure where to start looking when I couldn’t locate anyone. :cry:

• May 26, 2013 at 9:05 am

“For a while there I thought you had moved and forgotten to notify me.”

:lol:

• May 26, 2013 at 11:05 am

Haha! This reminds me of a book my school librarian read to our class when I was about 8 years old. It was called “Walter the Lazy Mouse” and was about a mouse that was so slow and lazy that one day it took him so long to walk home, his family had moved away! The rest of the story was about how he finds them and vows never to be lazy again. Well, I know that doesn’t apply to you, but even at 8 I realized this could be my life story. I was a Warning (which sadly I was too lazy to take heed of…)

• May 26, 2013 at 9:04 am

It’s VC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Morning you! Morning everyone!

May 26, 2013 at 9:15 am

Thanks CC! I’m really, really glad you’ve surfaced, swept the floor, raised the shutters, and opened the doors. Now it’s business as usual.

[ps. Next time, as well as the key under the mat and the lights on, remember to leave a few bodies to welcome stragglers, or even angels :roll: unaware.]

• May 26, 2013 at 9:18 am

:lol: You sounded very very lonely VC!!!

May 26, 2013 at 9:47 am

/shudder/ Did indeed wonder if there was a memo I’d missed, like ‘TOD will be off the air for X-number of hours’ /shudder/ You do have my private line (for emergencies like that), don’t you? Of course, I also have to answer it – am known to keep it off unless *I* need to talk to someone.

• May 26, 2013 at 9:12 am

Congrats VC. From the last post, you were definitely the first to rise and shine this morning. :-)

• 21 99ts
      May 26, 2013 at 9:59 am

WTG on 1st VC – and many thanks for the replies on an earlier thread – amazing that I can now get the little orange gizmo to work – serious lack of technical skills in my brain – I blame it on age – I was a mathematics major at university (long time ago).

• May 26, 2013 at 11:03 am

Congrats, vc! Nice technique on a Sunday morning!

• 23 MightyPamela
      May 26, 2013 at 12:02 pm

:lol:

May 26, 2013 at 8:59 am

GOOD MORNING, TODobots! It’s a beautiful day in the neighbourhood – the most beautiful-est of days really! :lol: :lol: Life is back to normal and all is very, very well again.

• 25 Nena20409
      May 26, 2013 at 11:52 am

VC is Back in Town and On Top with a Gold Trophy……Congrats, Lady.

Here’s a Bus Boys Hit, back in the day with Boys……oops, VC is back in Town :)

May 26, 2013 at 9:00 am

Wow….this president has had to be Consoler-In-Chief time and time and time and time again.

Hope he knows that there are billions sending him the best of thoughts everyday as he deals with crisis after crisis.

• May 26, 2013 at 9:06 am

He certainly has done a lot of consoler-in-chief duty since he has been in office.
      I don’t remember seeing that many occasions during previous administrations then again I never paid attention prior to 2008.

• May 26, 2013 at 9:07 am

Morning UT! And you know yourself, they’re only a few photos from the aftermath of natural disasters, when you think of all the other events, shootings, etc – they seem endless.

• 31 a4alice
      May 26, 2013 at 9:12 am

you know I was thinking the same thing holymoly. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a president that has had to attend as many disasters as President Obama has over his 2 terms.

May 26, 2013 at 9:32 am

True Utal. The one ‘positive’ aspect of this is that PBO IS the best man for the job. No other leader IMO has the depth of empathy and sincerity that the President, AND the FLOTUS, display. You can actually see the ‘hurt’ in them, and each time you sense it’s not a cookie-cutter grief/pain, but in the moment. Not an ‘I feel their pain’ in one breath and ‘watch this putt’ in the next. I do believe this Pres was raised ‘for such a time as this’ and while it’s hard sometimes to see how much he is being asked to bear, I also feel confident that he is THE ONE to bear it, that he is equipped with special skills and that he knows ‘there are billions sending him the best of thoughts every day’ and millions and millions actually standing behind him.

• 37 globalcitizenlinda
        May 26, 2013 at 12:24 pm

So true! times are indeed very challenging at each level but it was written in the stars that PBO would be the right person to lead at this moment

• 38 Lovepolitics2008
      May 26, 2013 at 9:37 am

From memory,,, Fort Hood, Tucson, Oil Spill, the coal mine in West Virginia, Tuscalosa, Joplin, Aurora, Hurricane Irene, Hurricane Sandy, Sandy Hook, Boston, West, and now Oklahoma.

More than a dozen. That’s a lot, and he’s only four months into his second term…

May 26, 2013 at 11:32 am

Mornin’, ut. Whoa. Funny how things click in. That reminds me of when Sir Paul McCartney was performing at the White House – June 2010 – and, after receiving an award, told the President “you’ve got billions of us who are rooting for you.” He was getting all choked up saying it directly to President Obama! Now I’m getting choked up!

The part I mention begins @9:00, and I’m sure y’all remember it:

4. 40 CEB
    May 26, 2013 at 9:01 am

Good morning everyone.

May 26, 2013 at 9:01 am

Well, okay, life is not very, very well for everyone. :oops: For a while there I was so centred on self, and so happy to see you all straggling in one by one that I forgot about the tornado. Sorry. I’ll tone it down. :oops:

• 42 a4alice
      May 26, 2013 at 9:12 am

Awww. Don’t tone it down VC – it’s good to have a Life cheerleader! :D

May 26, 2013 at 9:33 am

You are kind, a4A. Thanks

May 26, 2013 at 11:36 am

I’m with a4A, VC, be your ol’ Life cheerleader self! We can’t sit around with blankets over our heads! President Obama just heads out and seizes the day, the week, the mission. Of course, none of us can really figure out how he does it, but we can at least give it a try.

6. 45 Carol
    May 26, 2013 at 9:04 am

Will his visit be on TV?

7. 48 sonjiaduncan
    May 26, 2013 at 9:07 am

Good morning vc, holymoly24 and all of our TOD family. I hope all will have a sunny day of rest and fellowship. Photos are a great reminder that our POTUS is there for all of us. Thank you Chips.

8. May 26, 2013 at 9:10 am

Good Sunday Morning Chipsticks, TODers…Everyone?

How is everyone’s weekend going? Does anyone have anything special going on?

9. 76 kathryn kivett
    May 26, 2013 at 9:20 am

Good Morning, again, all you semi early risers…..really appreciate the schedule….guess I will actually plant these tomato plants that I have been putting off planting b/c of weather(usually plant May 1st)….time my breaks with PBO….have not even opened the pool this year…it was 40 night before last….unheard of…..instead of global warming, I think they have it confused with global chilling……and with that I have not one more thing to add…..I’m boring, boring, boring today……

May 26, 2013 at 9:25 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone. Congrats VC on #1! :)

11. May 26, 2013 at 9:48 am

Morning everyone and a peaceful and joyous Memorial Weekend to all my US family and friends.

12. 87 a4alice
    May 26, 2013 at 9:56 am

gotta go make breakfast for hubby and chores – later kids :-)

13. 88 Jovie
    May 26, 2013 at 10:00 am

Syria agrees to peace talks in Geneva in June.

But…

• 89 Don
      May 26, 2013 at 11:05 am

If by peace talks you mean that Assad gets to leave Syria with his ass still attached to his body, then yes.

14. 91 jackiegrumbacher
    May 26, 2013 at 10:01 am

As much as PBO seems to have endless resources of inner strength and comfort to draw on, each of these disaster/tragedy related visits must take a toll on him, especially when he’s entering hostile political territory. I hope the people in Oklahoma rise to the occasion. I hope they take from him what they need, but give back to him in respect and at least minimal thanks. Most of all, I hope he can return to the White House this evening and refresh his spirit for the long week ahead. To survive successfully in a job as grueling as the presidency, PBO must have an uncanny ability to push away the things that are unimportant, like the nasty gnats in the media, and focus on the things that renew his strength and replenish his energy. God speed on your journey today, President Obama–our hearts are with you.

• 92 99ts
      May 26, 2013 at 10:12 am

wonderful comment jackie – for a moment there walking across to the plane & running up the stairs – he looked so alone – he truly must have amazing strength to do all that he does.

And on an associated topic – every time I watch AF1 I feel like the child I was, who was amazed to visit an airport and see the airplanes coming and going.

15. 93 Jovie
    May 26, 2013 at 10:24 am

Ok just spit my coffee out! The Idiot in msnbc just said that Democrats, yes Democrats, have to be for something, they just can’t run against something.
    Wtf is this guy smoking ?

16. May 26, 2013 at 10:25 am

White House live

17. 104 cluny
    May 26, 2013 at 10:34 am

GM all. Don’t know if this has been posted – nice interview with Mr Reggie Love from 2012 convention.

18. 105 JER
    May 26, 2013 at 10:34 am

Gov. Mary Fallin and members of Oklahoma’s congressional delegation avoided the president last year when he traveled to the state to talk about energy, and they have criticized him relentlessly on a range of issues.

But in the past week, Fallin and other Republicans have praised the administration’s fast response and welcomed his decision to personally view the devastation.

Fallin said she’s glad the president is coming this time, and she plans to greet him when he arrives in the state and accompany him on his tour of the affected areas.

“As we work to rebuild, we appreciate President Obama’s kind words, compassion and his commitment to aid in the recovery effort,” Fallin said after the White House announced his plan to visit.

U.S. Rep. Tom Cole… said the president called him to express his condolences and told him, “We know this is your hometown, this is your family, these are your friends and constituents.” Cole, a Republican, said he was pleased the president was making the trip. He also plans to accompany him. …“As a proud, longtime resident of Moore, I appreciate the sincere and personal attention that the president and the members of his administration have provided since the awful tragedy of May 20.”

• 107 Tally
      May 26, 2013 at 10:44 am

When they need something…….

If these people had 1% of the grace the President has….. it would be a vast improvement.

I’ve been rewatching the first season of HBO’s The Newsroom to get ready for season 2, and just wow. The third episode was on the 2010 midterms and the crazy tea party destroying the GOP…… “taking our country back”…. If you haven’t seen this show, DO. Netflix, HBOGO, HBO on Demand…… DO IT.

• May 26, 2013 at 10:44 am

Morning TOD, and JER. If not for the devastation that would be wrought on the citizens of these red states, seems their reps need a natural disaster on a regular basis to bring out the humanity in their abyss- in order to have the most basic respect for PBO. Sad , isn’t it?

• 110 dotster3
      May 26, 2013 at 11:00 am

Coburn’s comments were distasteful, unsurprisingly. He’s revolting.

• 111 yardarm756
        May 26, 2013 at 11:24 am

You’re right dotster3. And think, he’s some kinda Dr. isn’t he?……Good morning everyone.

• 112 AJ
          May 26, 2013 at 11:46 am

I mentioned this at the end of one thread last week, but I don’t think many ppl. caught it…when NBC ran “Schindler’s List” virtually uncut with one commercial break in 1997, one congressman from Oklahoma protested and threatened NBC with FCC sanctions because of “the gratuitous nudity”. Guess who that enlightened human being was??

• May 26, 2013 at 11:20 am

At least they have found sincere, appreciative words for him this time. It’s sad that it has to come as a result of death and devastation, but perhaps it will help them see him as a man and not just a political avatar that they blindly oppose.

19. 115 africa
    May 26, 2013 at 10:38 am

Good morning everyone. Happy Sunday. Blessed to have President Obama at the helm of this country at this time. So many catastrophes and he always handles it with grace and tender care for the victims.

He’s truly a very, very decent human being.

20. 116 Ladyhawke
    May 26, 2013 at 10:44 am

Bob Dole Scolds GOP: Reagan Wouldn’t Make It In Today’s Republican Party

————————————

Dole, now 89, also took his own party to task for abuse of the Senate’s closure rules. Wallace noted that “In your first two years as a Senator, there were 7 motions filed — cloture motions to end debate. In the last two years, there were 115 cloture motions,” and asked the five-term Senator whether it is inappropriate that due to minority obstruction it now takes a 60-vote super-majority to pass any legislation or confirm any nominees.

“No doubt about it,” Dole told him, “There are some cases where you could probably justify if, but not many.”

——————————————-

21. May 26, 2013 at 10:45 am

Morrrrrrrning one and all! Does anyone remember the recent post that had the picture “Don’t Send a R (remaggotian) to Do a Man’s Job” ? It Was Perfect! I’m looking for that.

May 26, 2013 at 11:05 am

May 26, 2013 at 11:33 am

Now I love my President, and the same with FLOTUS, but no one is perfect.

May 26, 2013 at 11:41 am

Know what you mean, but I think it was meant figuratively!

And there are many levels of perfection … most of the rest of us imperfect human beings can’t even get to step one; whereas, President Obama is teachin’ the class!

23. 123 HZ
    May 26, 2013 at 11:05 am

Good Morning my beautiful Chips and TOD family. Everyone please have a wonderful day and a beautiful Memorial Weekend. Much to give thanks for in our nation.

I love watching our wonderful POTUS landing and then boarding AF1. I has always been one of my most precious and glorious times about the presidency because I know that Marine1 and AF1 are carrying one of the most precious presidents in my lifetime. Such a special gift, and he has and will continue by the grace of Almighty work so hard to honor his office.

And we help make all of this happen with him!!! Chips, I so love you and respect you, and pray for you and thank you, my beautiful and special angel.(((((((( My hugs are filled with lots of sweetness just for you and your family.))))))))))))

Swbluega, Happy Anniversary to you and hubby. Make the moments lovely and enjoy every one of them.

Vc. so wonderful to see you so beautifully brightening our spirits. You beautiful and brilliant spirit always lifts me up.

I hope Gobrooklyn is healing beautifully as well.

I am trying to catch up on the posts which are so wonderful. I enjoyed the music one last evening. Thanks UT, Japa, LL, and all of the beautiful souls who make our TOD family, the best. I am sure our beautiful Chips appreciates your beautiful contributions.

I am looking forward to our wonderful and brilliant president carrying all of our love, hugs, smiles, goodwills to our fellow citizens. I am not going to worry about those souls that will allow unkindness to rule their spirits, but I have prayed for them also. However, I do know that POB will be moving throughout the spaces with the most precious and protective graces of Almighty by his sides, and that include all of our prayers, meditations, and goodness surrounding. That is how he makes it, my TOD family. Trust me. He will always humbly be grateful for our support. Trust me on that one.

I had the honor yesterday of speaking with my most precious gift on this earth, my brother who lives quiet a distance from me, and we talked for 6 hours. He is a very busy person and in a very high profile and demanding position, and I always pray for our beautiful President and my brother together each and every day. And we had such a beautiful time on that call. He assured me that we are doing so much good to help each other enjoy our work that we do for our president.

We just had a great time talking about a number of family loving moments, our beloved mother and father, our childhood, things I had never shared with him, and it just blessed my heart. Keep your family close to your hearts, my loving TOD family. And always remember to laugh, cry, and thank them for loving you back. It is so pure and loving.

So I am so aware of how our president also is so very grateful for our thoughts here, our compassion, our passion to help keeping his back and our grateful hearts of ‘goodness’ being spread all around this nation for the good that he will bring today to our sisters and brothers in OK. Remember our POTUS has family all over this world, and we must continue to lift him, and them up because POB does not get to see them often, but he too has those calls that he receives and makes to keep his family close to him. Almighty keep him safe today and gently speak through him your goodness of comfort. We are grateful. HZ

Keep your hearts tuned to joyful things, your minds ready for new and wonderful gifts of humanity, and your souls always a reservoir full of gentle goodness to keep your mind thinking of those things that are lovely, honest, gentle, and of good will to all. We will get through all of this one day at a time because we have one of the most brilliant minds on this planet. But we also have in POB, one of the most able and compassionate presidents we have ever had, in my lifetime.

Be kind and gentle to your soul. and always reach out to your family and those around you. Give them some of the love that you carry with you each day. Be joyful, TOD family.((((((((( I love you all so much.))))))))))))) (((((((((Thank you, my dear precious Chips))))))))))))))))HZ

May 26, 2013 at 11:16 am

I could squeeze you:) Wonderful sentiments, HZ, as always. You are always the grounded, wise, uplifting spirit of TOD….we are so blessed to be able to share your thoughts with everyone. They inspire and life the spirit to soaring…..hugs to you, as always. Oh….and we love you back!

• May 26, 2013 at 11:27 am

I understand, HZ. Apart from my to children, my only living family is in England. They are all older than me (late60’s and 70’s) so who knows how much longer they will all be here?) I was able to go and visit them last summer for a week and it was one of the best weeks of my life. I was there by myself and got to see my two cousins, the children of one (two daughters now in their 40’s) and their husbands, and four grand-cousins (?). We talked over so many family things – joyful and sad – things that no one else in the world remembers. It was like taking a long warm bath. I will always remember it! So glad for you that you have your brother to love and support you. (The other part of that trip was spending two weeks in France with my daughter who had been there for a year living in Tours and studying for her master’s in French. That was wonderful too – being able to enjoy and share the experience that meant so much to her. We had fun! I did not think I would be able to afford it, but the money was found. I was truly blessed)

• 130 MightyPamela
      May 26, 2013 at 11:43 am

Bless you, HZ! You are so right and generous of Spirit to pray for those we feel discord with – they walk in a darkness they do not recognize as such. Perhaps are more in need if prayer than those who are finding their Way! {{{{HZ}}}}

• May 26, 2013 at 1:36 pm

You make my heart sing. . .

24. 132 Jovie
    May 26, 2013 at 11:17 am

Governor Fallin is worried about red tape for tornado victims.
    You mean like her 2 senators that will vote against FEMA?
    Thus, She had a nice way of putting it! :(

25. 134 Ladyhawke
    May 26, 2013 at 11:30 am

And Now Here Are The Most Conservative States In America…

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/most-conservative-states-2013-2?op=1#ixzz2UPer8mGZ

26. May 26, 2013 at 11:34 am

Howdy Do, do, do, to you, you, you!!!!! How’re all my O’s on yet another great getting up day down by the old TOD stream???
    Well, it’s trying to warm up so I’ll attempt once again to get the houseplants outside again. Hopefully they’ll be able to remain out for the rest of the season. The 90’s are coming at the end of the week, and so are the grandkids. Looks like cookemom will be closing out May feeling mighty fine. I hope all you O’s are enjoying this wonderful time of the year!

No worries, PBO got this and that and everything else.

27. 136 MightyPamela
    May 26, 2013 at 11:34 am

Morning y’all!

• 137 MightyPamela
      May 26, 2013 at 11:36 am

I see in my Guide two notable birthdays today: Levon Helm, 1940. James Arness, 1923. Should trigger some memories for TOD-types!

28. 138 yardarm756
    May 26, 2013 at 11:34 am

US Medical School Entrance Exam

When I was young I wanted to go to medical school, but I didn’t pass the entrance exam.

One of the questions was “Rearrange the letters P N E S I to spell out an important part of the human body that is more useful when erect.”

Those who spelled SPINE became Doctors…
    The rest ended up in Congress.

29. 143 globalcitizenlinda