May

Rise and Shine

Elsheba Khan at the grave of her son, Specialist Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan, in Arlington National Cemetery – he died on 6 August 2007 in Baqouba, Iraq

Today:

9:30: The President and First Lady host a breakfast in honor of Gold Star Families

11:0: The President lays a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier; The First Lady also attends

11:20: The President delivers remarks

White House Live * C-Span

12:20: VP Biden and President Santos Speak to the press, Bogota, Colombia (Audio only at WH Live)

The Oklahoman: President Barack Obama came to Oklahoma on Sunday to comfort grieving families, laud the work of emergency responders and offer assurances that the nation stands ready to assist with recovery from last week’s deadly tornadoes.

…. He also talked with Moore School Superintendent Suzy Pierce, Shelley Jaques-McMillin, principal of Briarwood Elementary, which also was badly damaged, and several others, including Scott Lewis, who was able to get his son, Zack, out of school and into a storm shelter in the nick of time.

“He just wanted to speak to the boy and tell him how brave he was,” Moore Mayor Glenn Lewis said. “Told us everything will be OK. And he reassured us. We told him how great FEMA was and the first responders.”

…. Afterward, the president met in private at the station for about 30 minutes with several family members of the children killed at Plaza Towers.

More here

President Obama’s motorcade exits the tornado ravaged Plaza Towers Elementary School after visiting with residents and families in Moore

National Memo – Five Great Signs for Obamacare

Republicans have tested the limits of hyperbole in attacking Obamacare. You can’t really top then-Minority Leader John Boehner warning that passage of the Affordable Care Act would be “Armageddon.” Well, we’re still here.

…. There’s no doubt that this new system that requires a health care marketplace to be set up in all 50 states will be complex and onerous to put in place — especially with Republicans purposely trying to engineer a disaster. But they’ve set expectations so low that there’s a good chance Obamacare will actually impress, especially in the blue states that are taking advantage of the landmark law.

….. Here are five auspicious signs for Obamacare

More here

NYT: The state of the economy is far from ideal, but some very definite positives are brewing. It’s not just that we are continuing to recover from a deep recession; we are also seeing signs that America’s long-term future may be looking up, too.

The case for optimism is hardly open-and-shut. The economy’s problems include high unemployment, mediocre productivity gains and stagnant or slow-growing earnings for most income classes. Still, let’s consider five indicators that the future is starting to brighten:

More here

Reuters: Federal authorities announced fraud charges against a debt settlement company on Tuesday, in the first criminal case based on work by the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

A newly unsealed indictment filed in District Court in Manhattan charged Mission Settlement Agency and four individuals with mail and wire fraud over a scheme that prosecutors said victimized more than 1,200 people across the United States.

More here

MSNBC: When the Chicago Board of Education voted last week to close 50 schools, Marcus Garvey Elementary School was not on the list. Nine-year-old Asean Johnson is one of the reasons why; his fiery speeches against Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s plan to gut public education have earned him widespread admiration and more than a few suggestions that he should replace Emanuel in City Hall.

More here

President Obama embraces Plaza Tower Elementary School Principal Amy Simpson

BooMan: Sometimes, I wonder why I so frequently see disparaging remarks in the press about the president’s disposition or mien. He’s aloof, arrogant, detached, above-it-all, distant, dismissive. The thing is, he doesn’t strike me as any of those things. Maybe every once in a while I get a brief hint that he’s impatient or frustrated with the stupidity that surrounds him. But, to me, it seems like he hides it well. Watch him console grieving parents or enter into a little child’s world or work a rope line, and he’s compassionate, intimate, wholly-there……

More here

Smartypants: Let’s pretend like you were elected President of the United States of America based mostly on rhetoric like this….

…. Now let’s assume that immediately after your inauguration, you learn that the Republicans have decided to use this against you and are going to oppose anything you try to do – not simply when they disagree, but even when they might otherwise support your proposals on principle.

How would you proceed to try to “change the culture of Washington?”

More here

Booman Tribune: I’m glad that the New York Times has finally got around to reporting on the real scandal, which is that oligarchs are using the 501(c)(4) tax status to hide their donations to right-wing Tea Party groups whose only function is to elect Republicans.

More here

Vice President Joe Biden, accompanied by his wife Dr Jill Biden, walks out of Air Force Two upon their arrival to a military airport in Bogota, Colombia, May 26. Biden arrived in Colombia as the first stop of a tour that also includes Brazil and Trinidad and Tobago.

More at the St Vincent Tribune

@VP: VP, @DrBiden and granddaughters Naomi and Maisy Biden tour the Botero Museum in Bogota, Colombia

Morning!

217 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. May 27, 2013 at 9:51 am

Good Morning Chipstick, TODers…Everyone!

Memorial Day is a time to remember those in the military who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our lives and our liberties.

But how is it honoring these courageous men and women when we abuse the freedoms for which they fought? Freedom of speech, assembly, press, right to bear arms…how far do we go in invoking these freedoms before they start to be abused? Should these freedoms be protected even when they may result in harm to others? Where does personal responsibility come into play?

Words can incite negative emotions and actions: hate, racism, bigotry, envy, violence. And whether or not it is the intent, shouldn’t a person be responsible for the outcome of their words and deeds? Courts use the rule of “reasonable person’s standard of ordinary care.” And while there may be some subjectivity in defining a “reasonable person,” shouldn’t a person be expected to anticipate the potential consequences of their words or deeds? Should “Freedom of _______” always be the accepted defense? [Just as “Stand Your Ground” seems to have become an accepted defense in some questionable shootings.]

Did the authors of these freedoms envision this country evolving into a society of “citizens” who have no concerns for the well-being of others? Did they foresee a “what’s in it for me” mentality? Did they expect a world where a prevailing attitude was “as long as me and mine are okay, I don’t care about anyone else?”

So as we remember those military men and women who were unselfish in their defense of our freedoms, we should honor them by being thoughtful, unselfish, and responsible in our application of these freedoms.

May 27, 2013 at 9:54 am

Yes, we remember and honour those who served/serve!

• May 27, 2013 at 9:57 am

Morning swbluega, morning everyone!

• May 27, 2013 at 10:19 am

Our visit to Arlington National Cemetery yesterday was a stark reminder of the sacrifices made by men and women in our many conflicts. I felt privileged to view the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier and see the respect of the viewing crowd. But the most moving memory for me were the families on blankets in front of their loved one’s graves sharing picnics , laughing and crying. I won’t ever forget that.

May 27, 2013 at 11:31 am

Well, that just did me in. So glad you had the experience, and thank you for going and honoring them.

May 27, 2013 at 11:29 am

So well said, swbluega! Mornin’.

May 27, 2013 at 9:53 am

Hi SW! :lol:

Hell-oo all you late risers, the sun has been shining for quite a while now! What took you all so long?

May 27, 2013 at 10:01 am

The Tweeter got this exactly wrong. They failed to fund the VA, but it was BECAUSE they WANTED a backlog build up!!See…govt doesn’t work! That’s what they’ll say….leaving out the part that it was THEY (Republicans) that underfunded the VA…..

• 11 99ts
      May 27, 2013 at 10:03 am

So I was chatting away on the last thread & missed Rise & Shine – a usual event.

I find it unbelievable that the GOP will not properly fund the VA. They seem to see vets as dispensable. A lot of talking – little action – which is very sad.

On the other hand, it is wonderful what FLOTUS and Jill Biden do for the veterans, military and their families. I wish you all a peaceful memorial day – and a special thanks to any past and present service folks on TOD

May 27, 2013 at 9:53 am

Powerful photo. Morning TOD

4. May 27, 2013 at 9:54 am

Good morning TOD. Happy Memorial Day.

5. May 27, 2013 at 9:58 am

GM Chips, TOD……….congrats on first Swbluega.

6. May 27, 2013 at 9:58 am

Chipsticks, such a poignant photo to start this Memorial Day’s Rise and Shine.

A reminder of how blessed we are to have Barack Obama as our President, to end these wars and keep us from initiating other senseless, avoidable wars.

May 27, 2013 at 9:58 am

Okay – time to eat, so that I can return and better savour the offerings here! A toute a l’heure! (One of these days I’ll take the time to figure out the accents when I’m online, but not today.)

8. May 27, 2013 at 9:59 am

9. 20 anniebella
    May 27, 2013 at 10:00 am

Let me say this, I should have said it before I said anything else, thank you to every veteran and soldier who have fought for this country, who are serving this country, thanks alot. Bless you and your family.

10. 21 carolyn
    May 27, 2013 at 10:03 am

Chips…..thank you for putting the front pages of the two Oklahoma papers up today! I have to admit I was surprised with the front page of The Oklahoman, but thrilled too. Also page three had a big spread, part of which you also featured. As a side note, the Tulsa World has been bought by Warren Buffett, and the coverage is moderating. I think this is a long term project, and we will see the feelings and coverage of the president improving, at least in that part of the state.
    The local TV coverage was also very good…….better than national. As a citizen of the U.S. who loves our president, and also a resident of Oklahoma, last week I have to admit I felt a little attacked by some on this blog, even though I knew I was not among those attacked, so this feels good.
    Again, Thank you.

• May 27, 2013 at 10:08 am

Morning Carolyn, really loved the front pages too, so happy they raised your spirits and so sorry that you felt attacked here over comments about Oklahoma.

Here’s another of today’s front pages – I didn’t use it because it was so similar to The Oklahoman:

May 27, 2013 at 10:14 am

If I said anything that half way sounded like I was attacking any Oklahomans, I apologize. Well I apologize to the decent ones. But I don’t believe everyone in Oklahoma hate President Obama,.

• 25 utaustinliberal
      May 27, 2013 at 10:25 am

I saw some of the comments you speak of Carolyn and it bothered me too. It feels like some Blue State folks feel the need to pile on Red State folks whenever an event occurs. Folks need to realize that people who live in Red States are as diverse as those who live in Blue States. There are people in Blue States who despise Pres. Obama and those in Red States that fiercely love Pres. Obama.

I am not a resident of Oklahoma, but your state did me proud as an American. Everyone who met Pres. Obama was kind, polite, and respectful. His visit meant a lot. The faces and the newspaper reports are evidence of that. Thank you.

• 27 kathryn kivett
      May 27, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Carolyn, I am sorry if I caused you distress by being angry about comments I read about the hatred for PBO in Oklahoma….I feel the same way about my state(NC) that has been taken over by Tea Party Republicans and are quickly destroying it….Did you know that they voted to allow concealed weapons in bars here?….just the kind of thinking I am talking about guns and alcohol go so well together..They are also working very hard to restrict the vote here.. When we have a disaster here, and I’m sure it will happen, I expect to read the same vitriol and hatred and disrespect…..Only 30% of white NC voters voted for PBO…I and my family being some of them…..Racism is what drives the white vote in NC….Racism being stoked by religion….so, my comments were being driven by my sadness, anger, fright, and disgust with what is going on here……I do apologize b/c I know there are good people in Oklahoma just as I know there are good people in NC….just not enough of us…..

• 28 jackiegrumbacher
      May 27, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Carolyn–Thanks for this update about Warren Buffet. I’m so glad that Oklahoma showed us that we are all human beings who respond to kindness and comfort. We all learned a valuable lesson yesterday. I live in a red area and I sometimes find myself making facile assumptions about the Republicans around me. Then someone will perform an astonishing act of kindness and I realize, once again, how wrong it is to jump to conclusions before the facts are in.

May 27, 2013 at 10:04 am

Connecting the dots…. http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2013/5/27/95452/6244

The Real Scandal

12. 32 99ts
    May 27, 2013 at 10:05 am

Can someone explain to me what is a “gold star family”? Is a gold star a special military award in the US?

13. May 27, 2013 at 10:15 am

May 27, 2013 at 10:18 am

I begin this day with a HUGE thank you. Thank you to those who serve, to those who have served, to those who died serving, to those who are forever changed by their service to this country. You have helped make this country what it is today. Despite the nation’s political or social disagreements, you (veterans and servicemen/women) have made this a magnificent country where we are free to question our government, free to voice our opinions, free to agree or disagree, free to pursue our dreams, and free to continue on in the pursuit of making America a perfect union.

To Bobfr and Yardarm, from the bottom of my heart, thank you so much for your service. To the other TODers who have served or are serving, I may not know your name, but I thank you for the honor you have bestowed and are still bestowing on this country.

• 45 Betsy
      May 27, 2013 at 10:38 am

You express my thoughts so beautifully UT. I join in with UT to also say thank you so much for your service.

• 47 globalcitizenlinda
      May 27, 2013 at 10:43 am

I think Jovie is a veteran too.

• 49 globalcitizenlinda
      May 27, 2013 at 10:45 am

I seem to recall Jessica who is either in training or current active duty

May 27, 2013 at 11:46 am

Thanks to Bobfr, Yardarm, Jovie, and Jessica, and any others who are here with us on Memorial Day. Welcome home! You’re the patriots! We’re all glad to be the patriotic witnesses.

So well said, UT, as usual.

Chips – Thanks for the beautiful post, especially the first image. Very, very poignant.

I’m sitting here listening to President Obama’s voice in the background, at Arlington. May God bless him and the United States of America. He mentions the recent war dead, just coming home. We think of their families today, as well, who bear the burden of our freedom, forever. Taken out of context from Milton’s poem, but fitting to honor the families, I think:

“They also serve who only stand and wait.”

• 51 Dudette
      May 27, 2013 at 12:35 pm

THIS!!

• May 27, 2013 at 10:42 am

Oh my! Thank you, Frank Schaeffer. Every word.

A huge thank you to all who have served and are serving our country. Thank you to all who gave the highest sacrafice. Thank you, President Obama! May God continue to bless the USA.

• 55 globalcitizenlinda
      May 27, 2013 at 10:51 am

Mr. Frank Schaeffer, is one whose personal journey I admire. He used to be at the core of the evangelical movement, but he recognized the extremist among the group, left and routinely apologizes for the part he played in promoting this group.

He is also a very strong and vocal admirer of PBO and defends him against bigotry & all kinds of hatemongering.

I admire the humility of Mr. Shaefffer

• May 27, 2013 at 12:18 pm

“I admire the humility of Mr. Schaeffer”, as do I. I hope the wonderful people at TOD will not only read his essay but support him with an acknowledging comment.

• May 27, 2013 at 11:12 am

Wonderful Alice. Thank you!

May 27, 2013 at 11:52 am

Oh, my, the words of President Obama and Frank Schaeffer all in one day! Thank you!

• 62 arkluvspbo
      May 27, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Love Frank, and I trust his articles more than any other so-called “journalist” out there. Former Senator Gary Hart is another one I enjoy reading.

May 27, 2013 at 10:25 am

16. May 27, 2013 at 10:26 am

17. 75 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    May 27, 2013 at 10:28 am

Good morning and may you have a reflective Memorial Day filled with love, peace and joy!

18. May 27, 2013 at 10:30 am

Good Morning everyone and I salute those who have served and are serving on this day.

19. 79 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    May 27, 2013 at 10:31 am

20. 80 a4alice
    May 27, 2013 at 10:33 am

juice on laptop running low gotta go charge up and get ready for the day! Later TOD :-)

• 81 a4alice
      May 27, 2013 at 10:34 am

DUDETTE wherever you are – saw Star Trek last night – w00t! that was EXCELLENT!!!!!

• May 27, 2013 at 10:38 am

She’s probably watching it for the 36th time, Alice, we won’t see her til August :???:

May 27, 2013 at 10:58 am

” we won’t see her til August” HA! Wonder if she saw the interview that I posted yesterday with that Cumberbund guy? Or whatever his name is…..

• 84 Dudette
          May 27, 2013 at 11:21 am

LOL! So far only twice… lots of catching up to do! :-D

• 85 globalcitizenlinda
        May 27, 2013 at 10:57 am

Seem to recall that the last few days were challenging for Dudette and her family due to the a medical emergency of her father.

last feedback was that he was improving and today was his and mum’s 54th wedding anniversary

• 86 Dudette
          May 27, 2013 at 11:24 am

TY GCL! Yep, Dad’s recovering nicely. I left him and Mom last singing and giggling at each other as their voices cracked. Finally realized as I was the last person in the hospital room with them, they hadn’t had a single moment alone all day on their anniversary, so I skiddaddled outta there. About to head back over there soon.

• 87 Dudette
        May 27, 2013 at 11:38 am

Woot! It truly is. Second time around, I noticed a few things that I missed the first time. After a few more viewings, I should be able to transcribe the entire script. :-)

21. May 27, 2013 at 10:37 am

Good morning, TODville. Sending a great measure of respect and gratitude to all veterans across the nation. And, of course, a lifetime of appreciation for the best and brightest of our Commanders in Chief, President Obama.

22. May 27, 2013 at 10:40 am

23. 92 carolyn
    May 27, 2013 at 10:49 am

One more comment on yesterday…..the President did exactly the right thing by not being at the Memorial Service. I don’t know whether he was not invited, he was invited and declined…..it really does not matter. As usual, he was right on target by coming in and visiting the important people as he did. His coverage was superb, and people will not be so quick to demonize him after actually seeing him here.
    The memorial service was really a community service, and that was entirely appropriate. This was a natural disaster, not a terrorist event. This has only local importance, not national importance. He always knows what is appropriate and right. Even in his comments, I noticed he used the word “fellowship” to describe the people’s attributes, and that is a big word here. He hit all the right notes, then let the community do what it needed to. As a side note, I didn’t notice that either Inhofe or Coburn attended the memorial service…..it was really local.

• 93 Layla
      May 27, 2013 at 10:55 am

Carolyn,

You are absolutely right about this. Hope you are OK

• 95 mtmarilyn
      May 27, 2013 at 11:36 am

Carolyn, thank you for you posts on OK tragedy. I was born and raised in KS not far from Greensburg, which was gutted by a tornado afew years ago. I still have many friends and relatives in both KS and OK. I want to thank you for your words and I know their are many good people there. The thing is I know all the bigots too, of whom I am related to. I hear from them all the time. I have such mixed feelings about KS & OK. I love my family and I loved growing up there, I am just appalled at what is happening politically in both states. It is hard for me to go back there and listen, I can’t have reasonalbe discussions with my family so I just stay away. God bless you for being there. I don’t post to often but I always lurk. Again thank you.

• 96 carolyn
        May 27, 2013 at 11:46 am

Never in my life did I think I would end up in Oklahoma…..but my husband got an excellent teaching position at a State University, and my son needed to get out of the So Cal smog, so this is where we are. I was a child of both coasts, and my husband was a native Californian. You can well believe we experienced years of culture shock, and still do when we come back from either coast. But…..we are here, our children are here, we have wonderful friends here, and frankly, we’ve decided people like us are needed here. If all of us dissenters left, it would sink.
        I remain hopeful that things will change in the future. I think the President’s visit will have long term positive effects. He is always looking at the long game, and we must too. My sister who is a rabid Bush Republican lives in California, so go figure :-)
        I think that eventually the people in these states will wake up…..slowly…..but it will start with Texas, move up to Oklahoma (which always wants to be like Texas) and lastly hit Kansas, to me the most hardheaded of the three, and I’ve lived there too, once upon a time, briefly.

• 97 mtmarilyn
          May 27, 2013 at 11:59 am

I can just imagine the culture shock. For me it was at the age of 18 we moved from a town of 500 in KS to LA. I loved going to college in the big city, the beach the movies, etc. But I could never handle all the people. Now we live in MT. We are a purple state many rabid tea partiers, but we have just as rabid left wingers. Thankfully we are spread all over the country and I believe we will bring our country back. We will all continue our small parts is supporting this President. Have a great day.

• 98 Judith Fardig
      May 27, 2013 at 11:42 am

You’re right, Carolyn. Blessings to you and your state as OK becomes okay again after the storm.

24. May 27, 2013 at 10:53 am

Heads up:

11:00 AM EDT President Obama Lays a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

11:20 AM EDT President Obama Speaks at Arlington National Cemetery

May 27, 2013 at 11:04 am

Soldiers, though, are a special case. Perhaps war is so obscene that even the people who supported it don’t want to hear the details or acknowledge their role. Soldiers face myriad challenges when they return home, but one of the most destructive is the sense that their country doesn’t quite realize that it — and not just the soldiers — went to war. The country approved, financed and justified war — and sent the soldiers to fight it. This is important because it returns the moral burden of war to its rightful place: with the entire nation. If a soldier inadvertently kills a civilian in Baghdad, we all helped kill that civilian. If a soldier loses his arm in Afghanistan, we all lost something.

The growing cultural gap between American society and our military is dangerous and unhealthy. The sense that war belongs exclusively to the soldiers and generals may be one of the most destructive expressions of this gap. Both sides are to blame. I know many soldiers who don’t want to be called heroes — a grotesquely misused word — or told that they did their duty; some don’t want to be thanked. Soldiers know all too well how much killing — mostly of civilians — goes on in war. Congratulations make them feel that people back home have no idea what happens when a human body encounters the machinery of war.

• May 27, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Wilfred Owen, World War I poet

DULCE ET DECORUM EST(1)

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
      Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
      Till on the haunting flares(2) we turned our backs
      And towards our distant rest(3) began to trudge.
      Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
      But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
      Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots(4)
      Of tired, outstripped(5) Five-Nines(6) that dropped behind.
      Gas!(7) Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
      Fitting the clumsy helmets(8) just in time;
      But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
      And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime(9) . . .
      Dim, through the misty panes(10) and thick green light,
      As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
      In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
      He plunges at me, guttering,(11) choking, drowning.
      If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
      Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
      And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
      His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
      If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
      Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
      Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud(12)
      Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
      My friend, you would not tell with such high zest(13)
      To children ardent(14) for some desperate glory,
      The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
      Pro patria mori.(15)

Wilfred Owen
      8 October 1917 – March, 1918

The last line is “Sweet and right it is to die for one’s country.

May 27, 2013 at 11:07 am

27. 105 carolyn
    May 27, 2013 at 11:13 am

As a mother, that first picture grieves my heart more than I can say. My son came home alive and well from his service, and is having a good life. She speaks for the universal love of all mothers.

28. 110 Dudette
    May 27, 2013 at 11:20 am

May 27, 2013 at 11:30 am

A special Thank you to our African American soldiers, even when you weren’t treated like humans, you weren’t appreciated, you still fought for your country, THANK YOU. THANK YOU THANK YOU.

May 27, 2013 at 11:20 am

When CVFC, a conservative veterans’ group in California, applied for tax-exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service, its biggest expenditure that year was several thousand dollars in radio ads backing a Republican candidate for Congress.

The Wetumpka Tea Party, from Alabama, sponsored training for a get-out-the-vote initiative dedicated to the “defeat of President Barack Obama” while the I.R.S. was weighing its application.

And the head of the Ohio Liberty Coalition, whose application languished with the I.R.S. for more than two years, sent out e-mails to members about Mitt Romney campaign events and organized members to distribute Mr. Romney’s presidential campaign literature.

Representatives of these organizations have cried foul in recent weeks about their treatment by the I.R.S., saying they were among dozens of conservative groups unfairly targeted by the agency, harassed with inappropriate questionnaires and put off for months or years as the agency delayed decisions on their applications.

But a close examination of these groups and others reveals an array of election activities that tax experts and former I.R.S. officials said would provide a legitimate basis for flagging them for closer review.

May 27, 2013 at 11:22 am

31. 114 WilTal
    May 27, 2013 at 11:28 am

Good day to everyone,

Chips, thank you for a powerful R&S (as usual).

Memorial Day…my sentiments are the same as UT’s noted above.

Also, I want to thank FLOTUS and SLOTUS for their “Joining Forces Initiative” so that our military families are not forgotten (Support for our Heroes).

“I want to send a very clear message to the men and women who are wearing – or who have worn – our country’s uniform and to their spouses: when you have finished your service to our nation, you’ve got 2,000 great American companies ready and waiting to bring you on board”
    – Michelle Obama, August 22, 2012

32. 115 bluemoon
    May 27, 2013 at 11:29 am

When i hear this song “america the beautiful” i chuckled, remembering that awful rendition Romney tried to do on the campaign last year.

33. 117 yardarm756
    May 27, 2013 at 11:30 am

G’day mates.

34. May 27, 2013 at 11:30 am

35. 122 yardarm756
    May 27, 2013 at 11:34 am

Requiem

Under the wide and starry sky
    Dig the grave and let me lie.
    Glad did I live and gladly die,
    And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you grave for me;
    “Here he lies where he longed to be,
    Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.”

Robert Louis Stevenson

36. May 27, 2013 at 11:42 am

37. 124 99ts
    May 27, 2013 at 11:45 am

g’nite all – wishing you a peaceful day of remembrance

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

Robert Laurence Binyon

May 27, 2013 at 11:52 am

You mean to tell me that CNN live or CBS didn’t cover any of this, this morning. I guess they were to busy with the phony scandals.

• 126 theo67
        May 27, 2013 at 12:00 pm

If that’s true, then they’ve lost their minds. Who doesn’t honour the fallen soldiers – during a time of war, especially? I hope this isn’t true.

May 27, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I went to CNN live right after POTUS finish speaking and all I saw was the weather. Now I didn’t go there during POTUS speech, so I will not say for sure what they did, but it’s not like them not to cover it.

38. 128 FiredUpInCA
    May 27, 2013 at 11:47 am

Obamacare hater admits he was wrong.

“Every now and again, a political pundit is required to stand up and admit to the world that he or she got it wrong.
    For me, this would be one of those moments.[...]

“For all the negative chatter about how including older and sicker Americans in the health insurance pools would drive up the price for younger participants in the pool less likely to be ill, what we are now seeing in states like California is that the desire on the part of the health insurance companies to increase market share—thanks to the large influx of customers as a result of Obamacare—is driving prices downward.

That is precisely what the President said would happen.”

39. 132 donna dem 4 obama
    May 27, 2013 at 11:53 am

Hello TOD!
    On this Memorial Day we are remembering those who are no longer with us and thanking all of our military for their service.

{{{duddette}}} I’m sending well wishes to your dad and a big ole Happy 54th Wedding Anniversary to both of your parents.

I’m sharing a bit of great news with you all today. I am going to be a grandmother for the first time…My son and d-i-l announced yesterday that they are having our first grand baby!!!

We are beyond ecstatic. I can’t wait to spoil my bundle of joy.

Have a great day everyone!!!

• 133 theo67
      May 27, 2013 at 11:56 am

Congratulations, Donna! So appropriate for today to appreciate the full circle of life. You must be over the moon! (But, having met you in person, it will be hard to think of you being old enough to be a grandma)… :)

May 27, 2013 at 12:04 pm

This is most wonderful news for you and your family, Donna! You will be a wonderful grandmother! (I can tell. I have powers.)

• 137 donna dem 4 obama
        May 27, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Thanks JOB…I must say that I have envied all of you who are grandma’s. I’ve waited patiently for her to go to Law School. Then she had to study for the bar. Then she had to pass the bar and finally all that was accomplished in February so they promised me that they would “get busy” working on my grandchild. So far, so good ;)

May 27, 2013 at 12:44 pm

You’ll get your wish! I wouldn’t presume to give anybody “advice” on being a grandmother, but I will pass along something that I decided 22 years ago, which has worked for me and saved me a lot of agita. Don’t “compete” with the other grandparent(s)! Be your loving self, act exactly how you want to act, and the grandkids will know you are genuine and giving them unconditional love. I’ve seen a lot of grandmas “competing” with the in-law grandma, like it’s a race or a game. It’s not. I decline. No thanks. It’s a beautiful one-on-one experience. Luckily, you, Donna, are confident in your own goodness, and will love the little baby, and that’ll shine forth! Maybe it’ll be twins, eh?

• 139 amk for obama
      May 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm

congrats grandma donna.

• 141 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      May 27, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Congrats! Welcome to the club!

• May 27, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Donna!!!! Completely wonderful news, but like everyone, I refuse to believe you’re even close to being old enough to be a grandmother! Warmest congratulations!

• 143 donna dem 4 obama
        May 27, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Thanks Chips but I’ll be 58 years old on August 11th…not that I’m throwing hints for you to remember to bake me a cake or anything like that. I just wanted you to know. That’s all :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 145 Nena20409
      May 27, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Congratulations…Dd4O ;) :cool:

• 148 Dudette
      May 27, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Thank you so much Donna. It’s a bittersweet weekend for Dad, aside from being in the hospital, Memorial Day is always tough for him remembering his time in Vietnam and the friends he lost there. But he’s receiving terrific care today and surrounded with love and support. I’m grateful for that and so many things.

Congratulations on your wonderful news! I’m sure you’ll be spoiling that child even before he/she makes the grand entrance. :-)

May 27, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Congratulations!!!

• 154 MightyPamela
      May 27, 2013 at 12:36 pm

{{{{{GrandmaDD4O}}}}}

• 157 cookemom
      May 27, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Welcome to the ranks GF!!! You will have a blast with the new addition. Do they know if it’s a boy or girl yet? I’ll just say, that the grands are the best of all worlds.

You get to go from ‘gotta be responsible’, ‘gotta raise em right’, gotta get to their functions, no matter what’, gotta do the PTA/school stuff’ to ‘aww ain’t that cute’, ‘whatever you’d like sweetie’, ‘look what grand got you’, ‘why of course you can have more candy’, ‘here’s an extra couple of $$$’.

Then your own kids get to see first-hand what you went through with them and there’s a whole new appreciation.

We are Glamor Ma’s

• May 27, 2013 at 1:33 pm

OMG, Donna!! I’m so thrilled for you!! You are going to be a FABULOUS grandmother and the little one will change your life forever. Lots of love & congrats to your family!!

40. May 27, 2013 at 11:54 am

Arlington West, a memorial along the beach in Santa Monica. Every cross is an Afghan or Iraq war death.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• 160 theo67
      May 27, 2013 at 11:58 am

Wow! This took a lot of work to line these up in the sand – quite something! They always do a memorial flag display in Malibu at the Pepperdine University campus, and it’s really quite striking.

41. May 27, 2013 at 11:59 am

New post soon, just waiting for video of the President’s remarks

42. 162 Dudette
    May 27, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Wow! I’m speechless after reading this woman’s twitter profile & then her timeline… Just Wow!

May 27, 2013 at 12:02 pm

G’morning Chips, TOD , lurkers etc and Happy Memorial Day to all! :)

44. 181 Dudette
    May 27, 2013 at 12:05 pm

45. 182 WilTal
    May 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm

46. May 27, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Is this video malfunctioning for everyone, or just me? :???:

May 27, 2013 at 12:16 pm

The media is now trying to push the false meme that MSNBC is tanking in ratings because they support PBO who is now unpopular because of the ” scandals.” MSNBC is suffering because they have joined the rest if the MSM in giving a steady platform to emoprog and RW memes, thus alienating PBO’s core base of supporters.

• 192 Nena20409
      May 27, 2013 at 12:39 pm

HF2…..they know it. There demise started in April of 2013…..with All In. They went In and they are sinking. People called, wrote and told them, but they refused to listen. S.E Cupp. RWNJs such as Amy Holmes, etc didn’t help when these people are from The Laze, a Glenn Beck outfit. The media thinks when they ignore facts and report lies…..their fatuously duplicity willful distortions become reality. Not. Naught. In April of 2012….the Today Show mad Sarah Palin a guest and Co-host. many warned them and then, many left…..GMA has since been beating the Today Show. MTP…..same thing. Today, Bob 70 plus yrs Schieffer is beating David daddy long legs Gregory week after week. How come they don’t blame those shows too?

Simple truth…..are harder to swallow when Blaming the Liberals are easier for the Comcast corporate master demands a more Right leaning MSNBC bent.

Notice……CNN has gone with more Blondes and more Caucasians. However, they have also reduced their Pundits…..a tad. Sorry HF2…..Media, the state of the media irks me a great dea. I had to rant once, I have found a kindred spirit.

• 193 COS
      May 27, 2013 at 1:29 pm

OMG HF, this is unbelievable. They cannot accept the fact that PBO’s supporters are tired of their lies and pushing Republican narratives. This is laughable. :) Let them keep fooling themselves.

48. 194 Ladyhawke
    May 27, 2013 at 12:27 pm

1) President Obama Listened to a Heckler With Humility His Critics Are (Ususally) Wrong (By Frank Schaffer)

2) The Scandals were Created by Congress and the Media

3) He Dislikes You Right Back

49. 195 JER
    May 27, 2013 at 12:33 pm

50. May 27, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Hi there all you O’s!!! It’s a dreary, yet still a great getting up day on the TOD block again. Remembering the fallen soldiers today and keeping them and appreciating them for their ultimate sacrifice.

I don’t have a clue about what to do today. It’s drizzling, and wet. The sun is nowhere to be found and hasn’t been for a few days. The coolness in the air calls for sweatshirts and socks.

I was feeling all down until I read on a previous thread that Chips sneezed with a mouthful of chocolate candy something or other. Well that put the happy back, cause all I could think of was exploded chocolate covered pixels.

• May 27, 2013 at 12:42 pm

“Well that put the happy back, cause all I could think of was exploded chocolate covered pixels.”

:lol: That’s EXACTLY what it was like!! :lol:

51. 201 Ladyhawke
    May 27, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Six Facts Lost in the IRS Scandal

By Kim Barker and Justin Elliott

———————————

In the furious fallout from the revelation that the IRS flagged applications from conservative nonprofits for extra review because of their political activity, some points about the big picture – and big donors — have fallen through the cracks.

Consider this our Top 6 list of need-to-know facts on social welfare nonprofits, also known as dark money groups because they don’t have to disclose their donors. The groups poured more than $256 million into the 2012 federal elections.

——————————

52. May 27, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Yikes, this thread is getting long, but still waiting for a few more photos and video – coming soon-ish!

53. 206 Nena20409
    May 27, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Good Afternoon TODville Villagers.

Memorial Day, a day to pay homage to all our fallen Men and Women. A day to honor them and to celebrate their lives and sacrifices. It is also a day to thank them and also to thank those serving today and their Families who serve alongside of them. Thank You. Welcome Home. Thank You. Thank You.

54. 207 Nena20409
    May 27, 2013 at 12:53 pm

AP is reporting:

Nadal successfully begins bid for 8th French title

STEVEN WINE | May 27, 2013 12:41 PM EST |

Compare other versions »
    PARIS — Rafael Nadal hopped, spun and threw an overhand punch toward his friends and family, stirring memories of past celebrations on his favorite stage.

After more than 90 minutes of tense tennis, Nadal had finally won a set, leaving him only 20 sets from another French Open championship.

The Spaniard survived an early scare Monday and successfully began his bid for an eighth title at Roland Garros by rallying past Daniel Brands of Germany, 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4, 6-3.

May 27, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Look, Chips! Someone else has figured out that “ish” can be a good suffix to use :)

56. 212 Dudette
    May 27, 2013 at 1:05 pm

57. 214 Dudette
    May 27, 2013 at 1:13 pm

U.S players are doing well in the French Open so far! U.S.A. — U.S.A — U.S.A!!! :-)

58. 215 Dudette
    May 27, 2013 at 1:14 pm

59. May 27, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Interesting that we seem to have stopped calling our wars “war”. I saw a graphic on facebook today listing all American wars and the last one to be called a war was the Korean War. Viet Nam is the Viet Nam Conflict. Then there is Urgent Fury-Granada, Just Cause -Panama, –oops Persian Gulf War seems to have slipped in there – back to Restore Hope Somalia, Uphold Democracy Haiti, Iraqi Freedom, New Dawn, and Enduring Freedom. Sure sound prettier than War.

RSS Steve Benen