May

James B. Comey….a man of integrity

President Obama is planning to nominate for Dept. A.G. Comey to become FBI director

WASHINGTON — President Obama plans to nominate James B. Comey, a former hedge fund executive who served as a senior Justice Department official under President George W. Bush, to replace Robert S. Mueller III as the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, according to two people with knowledge of theBy choosing Mr. Comey, a Republican, Mr. Obama made a strong statement about bipartisanship at a time when he faces renewed criticism from Republicans in Congress and has had difficulty winning confirmation of some important nominees. At the same time, Mr. Comey’s role in one of the most dramatic episodes of the Bush administration — in which he refused to acquiesce to White House aides and reauthorize a program for eavesdropping without warrants when he was serving as acting attorney general — should make him an acceptable choice to Democrats.

***

On the night of March 10, 2004, as Attorney General John D. Ashcroft lay ill in an intensive-care unit, his deputy, James B. Comey, received an urgent call.

White House Counsel Alberto R. Gonzales and President Bush’s chief of staff, Andrew H. Card Jr., were on their way to the hospital to persuade Ashcroft to reauthorize Bush’s domestic surveillance program, which the Justice Department had just determined was illegal.

In vivid testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee yesterday, Comey said he alerted FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III and raced, sirens blaring, to join Ashcroft in his hospital room, arriving minutes before Gonzales and Card. Ashcroft, summoning the strength to lift his head and speak, refused to sign the papers they had brought. Gonzales and Card, who had never acknowledged Comey’s presence in the room, turned and left.

The sickbed visit was the start of a dramatic showdown between the White House and the Justice Department in early 2004 that, according to Comey, was resolved only when Bush overruled Gonzales and Card. But that was not before Ashcroft, Comey, Mueller and their aides prepared a mass resignation, Comey said. The domestic spying by the National Security Agency continued for several weeks without Justice approval, he said.

“I was angry,” Comey testified. “I thought I just witnessed an effort to take advantage of a very sick man, who did not have the powers of the attorney general because they had been transferred to me.”

***

After that episode  the acting A.G. prepared a resignation letter to be delivered to President Bush:

After President Bush acquiesced the following testimony was given before congress. This testimony is amazing on so many levels….. if you have the time hit play. Says all I need to know about the character of this gentlemen.

***

***

***

***

H/T TOD’er Arapaho415 Additional  Maddow reporting on Comey is here

As our revered Bobfr would say #TrustBarack

125 Responses to “James B. Comey….a man of integrity”

May 30, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Obama forever!

2. 25 wes207
    May 30, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Rachel had a great segment on this last night — such an amazing sequence of events that you almost can’t believe it really happened. I remember it well and how impressed I was by Mr. Comey. He sounds like a great choice.

3. 29 Don
    May 30, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Congrats Jacqueline, may your reign last for many seasons and your harvest bountiful.

May 30, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Well, Don, I think I may just go recline somewhere after that nice thought, and see if I can find somebody to feed me a grape. Ha!

4. May 30, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I am very unfamiliar with Comey but if President Obama wants him to head the FBI then I support him fully. I trust the President’s judgment

5. 32 LaDLove
    May 30, 2013 at 12:24 pm

So smart, on many levels, of BO to nominate Comey to head the FBI. First, Comey is obviously a man of integrity. But second, the deeper the Repubs dig during the confirmation hearing, the more dirt will be deposited on them! Love it!

May 30, 2013 at 12:27 pm

That’s our chessmaster for ya!

• 34 theo67
      May 30, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Indeed – talk about real scandals -> The GOP and Bush Administration are chock full of scandals and illegal activity just waiting to be exposed to sunlight (and prosecution).

6. 35 Don
    May 30, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Now it just seems as though President Obama is toying with the GOP. If you are a Republican how do you even fix your mouth to saying something negative about Comey?

7. 36 Don
    May 30, 2013 at 12:33 pm

And another point, President Obama is showing how to effectively use smart people, unlike Bush.

8. 37 Linda
    May 30, 2013 at 12:37 pm

How many times have we read these words.

” An unnamed source on condition of anonymity as they were not authorized “…..blah..blah..blah ?

Our press is a joke.

• 38 57andfemale
      May 30, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I’m liberal. I have always been liberal, always will be liberal. But there is a big difference between a whistleblower divulging information that shows government malfeasance and someone looking for a scoop with no integrity as to whether or not that knowledge will actually help or hurt. The Bush Administration classified EVERYTHING for the express purpose of criminalizing the leaking of any and all information about their malfeasance or lack of judgment; and every Republican who is now crying outrage said we were all traitors for asking any questions.

A report on what happened in John Ashcroft’s hospital room is quite different than Rosen soliciting information to blow up PBO’s foreign policy for ideological reasons only, with no regard for the decades of intelligence work and the individuals who put their lives on the line for our country and Constitution.

For the record, if the Benghazi talking points were tamed before that infamous Sunday, it was in order to protect the investigation, our sensitive cultivated local sources, to avoid further strike in a volatile region, and the lives of Americans by not divulging what we knew in order to alert the enemy.

And a press that cannot see the difference is not a press worthy of the First Amendment it purports to defend or the hundreds of thousands of Americans who have died for those rights. Shame on the entire for-profit news industry.

• 39 Lovepolitics2008
        May 30, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Very well said ! But reading your first paragraph, I’m reminded of the difficulty of writing a law that would adequately strike the balance between freedom of the press and national security. Corrupted administrations like the Bush one have a tendency to classify much, too much info. So you can’t say that someone leaking classified info committed a crime. I know president Obama has worked on restricting the rules for classifying information, but this is not written into law. A republican administration could easily go back to the Bush ways.

So I think a law giving the media some additional protection will have to be very specific when it comes to the exceptions to the rule. I’m thinking for example about using terms like “publishing information on intelligence assets or intelligence operations” ; even then, there would be the need to say that the exception only applies if the intelligence operations have been approved by the appropriate congressional comities, or some other kind of way to assess the “legitimity” of such intelligence operations.

In other words, a corrupted press should be prevented from playing games with national security , but a corrupted administration should be prevented from hiding nefarious actions.

• 40 57andfemale
          May 30, 2013 at 1:50 pm

It’s very complicated. And under the best of circumstances a bill can have unintended consequences. However, in this poisoned political discourse, we can’t have decent debates. I’m so weary of the dumbing down, even on our side. “You’re okay with no public option? Well, then you are not a LIBERAL”. From the history-challenged who have no idea how little Medicare covered when first implemented.

Principled debate on drone policy, First Amendment protections and responsibilities — it is impossible in this political climate. We are acting like Neanderthals and do a great disservice to the needs and responsibilities of the 21st century (no insult to Neanderthals intended).

I have no answers. Except to look to history and hope that we return to sanity.

9. 41 57andfemale
    May 30, 2013 at 12:37 pm

10. May 30, 2013 at 12:50 pm

“By choosing Mr. Comey, a Republican, Mr. Obama made a strong statement about bipartisanship at a time when he faces renewed criticism from Republicans in Congress and has had difficulty winning confirmation of some important nominees.”

This is nonsense. The President from the beginning of his first term made strong statement after statement about bipartisanship. Ray Lahood ring a bell? And the reason he has had difficulty winning confirmation of important nominees is due to the unprecedented obstruction of Senate Republicans for no other reason but to oppose anything and everything this President proposes.

This one legged reporting irritates me to no end.

11. May 30, 2013 at 12:51 pm

12. May 30, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Will someone help me out here. I don’t understand politics and have a disdain for the media outlets who have released the news of Mr. Comey. If he is the Presidents pick, I stand behind him. But why is the news out before the announcement from the White House? Is it beneficial for the Administration?

• 52 Linda
      May 30, 2013 at 12:58 pm

It gives the Admin a heads up of what the knee jerk reactions are going to look like.

• 58 57andfemale
      May 30, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Methinks this was ‘leaked’ by the administration. I consider these benign leaks that are used strategically.

• 60 Lovepolitics2008
        May 30, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Maybe, or maybe so many people know the news… People in the administration who have done the vetting ( staff, legal counsels, etc), people at the FBI who have been asked what they think of the nomination, friends and families of Mr. Comey, people who have witnessed Mr. Comey meeting with members of the administration, etc…

A nomination process isn’t like a secret intelligence/military operation. Many many people have access to some info. And Washington D.C. is a gossipy town…

• 61 57andfemale
          May 30, 2013 at 1:56 pm

As I said earlier, we’ve become black and white in our thinking. Knee-jerk response from a lot of alleged progressives: “Comey = Bush administration = bad.” From people who should effing know better. Shut up for two seconds, do a little non-hysterical research and THEN make a comment. I have some grave misgivings on some of the Republicans PBO has employed and I have been very concerned about the ideological infiltration of the government orchestrated by Rove that is hard to weed out. But Comey may be one of the last principled Republicans in this country, who stood up to the most powerful and destructive political machine that we have encountered. That takes guts. Hey, Ray LaHood, who was quite the presence during the Clinton impeachment, was one of the best advocates for PBO’s agenda we have ever seen, even better than some of the Dem’s.

I’m sick of being pressured to view things in black and white and considered a traitor to my cause if I have questions or nuance. Sigh.

• 62 jackiegrumbacher
            May 30, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Well said, 57. I’ve been sick of the black and white thinking for a very long time. This was the kind of thinking that divided the Dems in the late sixties and gave us the catastrophe of Richard Nixon over the solid Democrat, Hubert Humphrey. We all had to be purists and vote for people who never had a chance in the world, like Eugene McCarthy. You’d think that people would learn to think two steps in front of them and, dare I say, take a mature and nuanced view of political reality. But that seems to be impossible with some so-called liberals. It’s their way or the highway and everything else is a sell out. Among all other considerations in choosing a principled Republican for the FBI, the president might want to suggest to some ordinary Republicans that they don’t have to sell their souls to hatred to show allegiance to their party.

May 30, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Can I get a “HELL NO” !!!!!

There’s a nonsense poll up on WashPo website today, not that more than four people care:

Should Michele Bachmann run for public office again?

• 65 COS
      May 30, 2013 at 1:10 pm

NPR is hit and miss with me.

May 30, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I know that people have been calling out their shotty reporting lately…..but really???!!! This is what I call LYING BY OMISSION! Lots of this going on lately and it makes me sick!

• 67 theo67
      May 30, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I’ve noticed a lot of their reporting lately only tells half a story. The stories seem to end mid-stream, and you’re left wondering, “and then…?”. Sometimes, it seems deliberately misleading…

14. May 30, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Thanks, LP for this post!

Is that picture of Gonzales and Bush creepy, or what?

I remember that riveting testimony from the Bush era, just didn’t connect the name until I saw Rachel last night.

Love the newspaper headlines which tout Comey’s Bush administration link, which sends a favorable message to Independents across the country.

15. 69 57andfemale
    May 30, 2013 at 1:17 pm

May 30, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Welll…Lou Dobbs thinks it does! What an asswipe he is!

May 30, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Fox Business host Lou Dobbs asserted women earning more than their husbands was an indication of the dissolution of American society. Fox News political analyst Juan Williams agreed, describing it as a sign of the disintegration of marriage that would have negative consequences for generations to come.

Fox News contributor Erick Erickson went one step further, saying nature itself commanded that women be subservient to men.

“I’m so used to liberals telling conservatives that they’re anti-science,” Erickson explained. “But liberals who defend this and say it is not a bad thing are very anti-science. When you look at biology, when you look at the natural world, the roles of a male and a female in society and in other animals, the male typically is the dominant role. The female, it’s not antithesis, or it’s not competing, it’s a complementary role.”

“We as people in a smart society have lost the ability to have complimentary relationships in nuclear families, and it is tearing us apart,” he continued, adding that “reality showed” it was harmful for women to be the primary source of income in a family.

Including Erik Erickson in the asswipe catagory goes w/o saying.

• 72 Linda
          May 30, 2013 at 1:35 pm

When people asked my partner of 22 years ( he was a hairdresser ) what I did for a living he would always just say

” She earns the money “.

But then again he did all the chores and shopping and cooking…..I loved that arrangement !

• 75 Lovepolitics2008
          May 30, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Wow. Call me naïve, this is so out of touch I’m surprised. The fact that they are misogynists is one thing… but the fact that they’re not shy about expressing those opinions on national tv is… stunning.

• May 30, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Are these men still living in caves? Really – 2013 with that mentality? Wow!

• 77 Alycee (@jazziz2)
          May 30, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Wow, these neanderthals still exist… In 1978, I received a meritorious promotion to sergeant; two days later my husband’s Bn commander meritoriously promoted him because — get this “no man should be subordinate to his wife…”

My opinion, if spouses work together, doesn’t matter who earns more as long as the money comes in the house…

• 78 jackiegrumbacher
          May 30, 2013 at 2:51 pm

DF, take this conversation back 100 years and you have a bunch of men smoking cigars and saying women weren’t intelligent enough to vote and would just go along with their husbands so why bother. Take it back 50 years before that and you had a bunch of men smoking cigars and saying it wasn’t worthwhile to educate women beyond deportment and domestic skills. Dobbs and his little cohort are dessicated figures from a musty past. The world has long passed them by and they simply can’t cope. More women than men graduate from college, more women than men vote and more women than men enter and complete law and medical schools. There is no profession, no position in government, or in the military that women have not attained and these men are scared witless. The want to put everything back in a bottle and take it back to a time when they themselves felt safe and affirmed in their roles as ‘breadwinners.’ They failed miserably in that role, especially as wages shrank and the influence of unions waned. Women stepped in to fill the breach and they have gone fast and far and will never turn back. So dream on, old men. Your world is gone.

• 79 Bill
        May 30, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Dobbs was fired from CNN because of his hate filled rants towards undocumented workers. It was later made public that undocumented workers were employed on his NJ horse farm. He hinted he was going to run for office and then FOX Business gave him a job. He now directs his hate towards PBO. He is more hateful than Hannity but without anywhere near the ratings. He goes face to face against Larry Kudlow on CNBC and it is difficult to determine who is the most worthless.

• May 30, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Just in case you missed a comment I wrote about a week ago and to lighten things up a bit…

Took my three year old grandson to his play group. He and a little girl ran and hugged, clearly glad to see one another.
          I asked, “who’s that?”
          He answered, “That’s my girl pet.”
          I balked, “Your what?”
          “My girl pet”, he repeated. “Riley (his dog) is gone and Mommy won’t let me have a hamster, so I got a girl pet.”

I stood there looking stupid and he ran off to play. It starts early.

• 82 Nena20409
          May 30, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Dobbs married to a Latina….has kids with her and yet speaks ill of Hispanics? Hmm? Kudlow, a cheater with Crack Cocaine habit for a long time…….? Hmm? FBN and CNBC sure know how to pick them?

• May 30, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Dobbs is a jackass. I didn’t even know he was still on television.

• 84 Nena20409
              May 30, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Fox Business hired him. CNN paid him off with $8M. Fox picked right up……the picture that I had seen today, his THIN skull is now full of brownish Hair. Hmm? The $8M sure purchased an excellent Hair-Replacement surgeon?

• 85 Bill
            May 30, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Kudlow is so out of it he was praising Michele Bachmann yesterday saying he hated to see her go. You are correct about his coke habit. He was chief economist at Bear Stearns and was fired for missing speeches because he was with his hooker dealer. He now gives financial advice on teevee.

May 30, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I laugh at them. They keep hitting their heads against the wall over and over again. AG Eric Holder is here to stay.

• 87 Bill
      May 30, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Mrs. Greenspan said a few minutes ago no one other than PBO is defending AG Holder. She did not mention they only invite Repubican and MSM critics to discuss him. MSNBC is wall to wall coverage of AG Holder.

• 88 Nena20409
        May 30, 2013 at 1:52 pm

They report, they judge, analyze, pronounce a judgement and then they decide? These Cablers and the enabling DC/NY Journos co-dependants are just full of themselves…….They scream, shout and they repeat and start all over again….believing in their Own overblown importance.

Little do they know….that Most of the population tune them out.

May 30, 2013 at 2:02 pm

They all believe that they are experts on every topic there is….the problem is, they are not anywhere close to being experts. At their jobs, or the jobs/policies of anyone in this administration. Sad shame

May 30, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Andrea Mitchell is a liar, because I saw this NY Congresswoman talking to Thomas Roberts this morning who said she still had confidence in AG Holder.

• 91 57andfemale
        May 30, 2013 at 2:22 pm

When was the last time a real Democrat talked to her? she’s so busy at cocktail parties with her Randian husband, and making promos for msnbc as if she’s a real journalist, who has the time to get a real story?

• 92 theo67
        May 30, 2013 at 4:20 pm

She also neglects to admit that one doesn’t need to defend someone who’s done nothing wrong. This witch hunt does not serve the greater good or the public one iota.

• May 30, 2013 at 1:48 pm

My god….wasn’t the president asked this exact question during the press conference w/ PM of Turkey last week? WTF is wrong w/ these people….” I have absolute confidence in A.G. Holder” is what I believe he said!!!!

• 94 Ladyhawke
      May 30, 2013 at 1:57 pm

THE LOATHSOME MEDIA

He Dislikes You Right Back

BY Booman

————————————-

This is what the press sees as being detached and above-it-all. But, in the context of effective governance, those attributes are virtues. How could he not feel at least some disdain for those who are so absorbed in the now that they can do nothing but quibble and nitpick, attacking him with a million pinpricks while never sensing that his vision is too big to be stymied by such trivialities?

Of course, he pays a price for being unloved by the press. He pays a price for not tending to the narrative of the day with the same intensity with which he tends to the long game. But he’s only one man and he can’t have every skill that one might want. If you want someone to arouse populist passions, you probably don’t pick the guy who excels at keeping everyone calm in a crisis. And if you could look at all the thronging crowds at all those Obama rallies and still argue that the man lacks warmth or is detached or can’t arouse populist passions, then maybe your standards are too high.

Or, maybe, you have just enough depth to realize that the president thinks you’re shallow. And you know that he is right. And you hate him for it.

——————————————-

May 30, 2013 at 1:59 pm

PlanetPOV has an excellent, in depth expose on the Koch’s…..you should check it out!

18. May 30, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Howdy O’s!!!! ‘Sup on this great getting up day in the TOD barnyard??

As you may know, PBO spent last night at his Chicago home. I just wanted to let you know that we had a ball! Though we missed Michelle and the kids, a good time was had by all. #hubbahubba

I’m popping in and out, mostly out as I prepare for #1 and the grandkids to make their appearance from No Dakota. #1 will be here for 2 weeks, and the kids for the entire summer. This means I will have to actually grocery shop, wait for the bathroom, and share stuffs. Their visit is well worth the sacrifice.

May 30, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Was wondering if they flew over your house yesterday, cookemom? :) Thought you might have the “Welcome Home” sign out…

• 100 cookemom
        May 30, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Well, we decided that since I’d just meet him at the house, a fly-over wouldn’t be necessary. Other than the massive traffic jams we caused, everyone was very happy to see us.

May 30, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Don’t you wish:) Have a great summer with the grandkids…..rest up now!!

• 102 57andfemale
          May 30, 2013 at 2:21 pm

So THAT was your dastardly plan. I got stuck in traffic due to the President’s arrival, and you got ahead of me in line. I should have known you were the culprit, you little minx, you.

19. 103 Ladyhawke
    May 30, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Circling the media wagons

By Walter Pincus

—————————

When will journalists take responsibility for what they do without circling the wagons and shouting that the First Amendment is under attack?

I’m talking about the case of Fox News correspondent James Rosen.

The case should be described as a State Department contract worker who signed a non-disclosure agreement, yet is alleged to have leaked Top Secret/Special Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) in violation of criminal law. He also is alleged to have lied to the FBI.

Search for a story analyzing damage to intelligence collection caused by the leak and what will emerge are stories about the threat to the First Amendment and journalists.

————————-

h/t Booman Tribune

20. 104 JER
    May 30, 2013 at 2:09 pm

LIVE NOW: Awaiting President Obama’s arrival at Andrews – http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

• 105 daisydem
      May 30, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Let me know when he is home, well when he is in D.C., he has just been “home” and I love it for him. Wish I could have been in Chicago with him!

21. 107 anniebella
    May 30, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Did anyone see Ann Romney popping up on tv commenting about the IRS so call scandal. As usually she said nothing.

• 108 Ladyhawke
      May 30, 2013 at 2:29 pm

No, I did not see Ann ‘It’s Our Turn Now’ Romney opining about the IRS nontroversy. But I am reminded of this little gem from the 2012 campaign……..

Ann Romney On Tax Returns: ‘We’ve Given All You People Need To Know’

May 30, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Ladyhawke, Come to think of it she does have some dam nerve, when all she and her husband have done was hide the fact that they weren’t paying their share of taxes. When I think about it who gives a dam what she had to say? The American people prove they didn’t November 6th, 2012.

May 30, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Freedumb. http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/2-year-old-boy-in-texas-dead-after?ref=fpb

2-Year-Old Boy In Texas Dead After Shooting Himself In The Face These “parents” should be locked up.

23. May 30, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I love my POTUS! He is gracious, kind, wonderful … I could continue, but let me stop :-). He is just GREAT!

24. 116 susanne
    May 30, 2013 at 2:55 pm

defense secretary hagel at pearl harbor this morning:

‘ United States Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel addressed around 200 service members from Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam Thursday, discussing the nation’s national security plan and answering questions from the crowd.

The speech, which was closed to the general public, began just after 7:40 a.m. inside Hangar 19 on Hickam Field.

According to the Department of Defense, this was Hagel’s first stop to Hawaii since taking office in February. He has also scheduled stops in Singapore and Belgium. ‘

photo:

aloha and good morning chips and obamadons!

25. May 30, 2013 at 3:04 pm

New (short!) post soon-ish

May 30, 2013 at 3:06 pm

May 30, 2013 at 3:06 pm

May 30, 2013 at 3:16 pm

29. 123 Nena20409
    May 30, 2013 at 3:22 pm

This is awesome. Pardon me if some have seen it.

May 30, 2013 at 3:25 pm

He also waived his concert fee.