Jun

Rise and Shine

The front pages, five years ago today

Today:

10:30: The President delivers a statement, The Rose Garden

11:10: The President and Chilean President Sebastián Piñera hold a bilateral meeting; the VP also attends

1:0: Press Briefing by Jay Carney

2:20: The President departs the White House

2:30: Arrives Bethesda, Maryland

2:50: Visits the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center

4:35: Departs Bethesda

4:45: Arrives at the White House

From left: Cornelia Pillard, Patricia Millett and Robert L. Wilkins

NYT: President Obama will nominate a slate of three candidates on Tuesday to fill the remaining vacancies on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, a White House official said Monday.

The president will name Cornelia T. L. Pillard, a law professor; Patricia Ann Millett, an appellate lawyer; and Robert L. Wilkins, a federal district judge, to fill out the appeals court, which is often described as the second most powerful court in the country because it decides major cases and often serves as a launching pad for future Supreme Court justices.

By making his choices in a group, the president and his strategists are hoping to put pressure on Senate Republicans to confirm them.

More here

Steve Benen: …. At the outset, let’s emphasize how uncontroversial this is – there are vacancies on an important federal bench, so the president is sending qualified nominees to the Senate for consideration. Republicans are characterizing this as a scandalous power-grab, while many political reporters are describing this as Obama thumbing his nose at his political rivals. In reality, it’s neither – presidents filling judicial vacancies is basic American governance. It’s Civics 101. That today’s announcement is seen as somehow remarkable is evidence of just how broken the process has become.

…. This is far more consequential than much of the public realizes …. the D.C. Circuit is likely to have considerable influence over the future of the Affordable Care Act, Wall Street reform, immigration reform, and perhaps most importantly, efforts to combat the climate crisis.

This is, in other words, a fight worth having, and the outcome will have a lasting impact for many years to come.

More here

Michael Tomasky: Obama’s Economic Triumph

It’s increasingly clear that the president has steered the country back from the brink – and, in the process, exposed (yet again) the central lie of conservative economics…..

More here

Greg Sargent: As I’ve been saying here for some time, behind all the GOP noise and hoopla about Beltway scandal-palooza is a stark reality that can’t be obscured. House Republicans are confronting two major challenges – what to do about the debt limit and about immigration reform, both of which will require cooperation from House conservatives that they aren’t prepared to give — and they don’t have an answer to either one.

This is driven home in fresh and vivid detail by today’s big Post story on the deep divisions within the House GOP caucus.

More here

Steve Benen: We talked yesterday about the new report from the College National Republican Committee, detailing their party’s difficulties in connecting with younger voters. As the College Republicans explained, it’s a “dismal present situation” with focus groups, led by GOP pollsters, finding that voters under 30 consider the party “closed-minded, racist, rigid, [and] old-fashioned”…..

….     In focus groups in January, the report said, young voters were asked to list leaders of the Democratic Party. “They named prominent former or currently elected officials: Pelosi, the Clintons, Obama, Kennedy, Gore. When those same respondents were asked to name Republican leaders, they focused heavily on media personalities and commentators: Bill O’Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck.”

More here

Washington Post: House Republicans broken into fighting factions …. On New Year’s Day, in a cramped room in the Capitol basement, House Republican leaders faced an angry caucus. Democrats had negotiated them into a corner — virtually every American would be hit with a massive tax increase unless the House agreed to block the hikes for everyone but the wealthy.

A freshman lawmaker seized a microphone and demanded to know how the leaders planned to vote. House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) was a yes, but his top two lieutenants were opposed…..

Read the rest here – this line is magnificent:

…. Boehner faced a coup attempt from a clutch of renegade conservatives. The cabal quickly fell apart when several Republicans, after a night of prayer, said God told them to spare the speaker…..

Ezra Klein: Curious why some hardcore conservative governors, including Jan Brewer of Arizona and Rick Scott of Florida, are fighting with their legislators to accept Obamacare’s Medicaid expansion? A new study in the journal Health Affairs article will clear it up.

The study, by the Rand corporation, looks at the 14 states that have said they will opt out of the new Medicaid funds. It finds that the result will be they get $8.4 billion less in federal funding, have to spend an extra $1 billion in uncompensated care, and end up with about 3.6 million fewer insured residents.

So then, the math works out like this: States rejecting the expansion will spend much more, get much, much less, and leave millions of their residents uninsured. That’s a lot of self-inflicted pain to make a political point.

More here – and see more at ThinkProgress

ThinkProgress: Domestic Violence Shelters Warn That Sequestration Has Put Women’s Lives On The Line

See here

Andy Borowitz: Issa Demands Hearings Into Why No One Listens to Him …. “There is mounting evidence that no one listens to me, not even one little bit,” he told reporters on Capitol Hill. “The goal of these hearings is to find out why.”

…. “There is a consensus out there that I am an odious, self-serving tool who uses congressional hearings to advance my own petty political agenda,” he said. “I think it’s important to know who created that impression.”

More here

June 3, 2008

June 4, 2008

Four years ago today – The Cairo speech:

President Obama on a tour of the Pyramids and Sphinx in Egypt, June 4, 2009. At center-right is the hieroglyphic that the President said looked like him (Photo by Pete Souza)

“That looks like me!”

President Obama shows off the hat he was given during his tour of the Pyramids and Sphinx in Egypt on June 4, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

MooooOOOOoooorning!

171 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. June 4, 2013 at 10:01 am

Good morning. Historic first page!

• June 4, 2013 at 10:06 am

Mooooorning Almablanca, moooorning everyone!

• 4 99ts
      June 4, 2013 at 10:10 am

congrats on first Almablanca

GM – Ms Chips and everyone

June 4, 2013 at 10:15 am

Hello there, 99ts (I always wonder why you count the ‘t’s)! You cleared your firefox cacherecently? Did you do it without losing any of your info, and if yes, please share the steps. I tried yesterday, but quit when the message said I may lose some of my ‘stuff’. Thanks.

• 6 99ts
          June 4, 2013 at 10:35 am

I’m like you – I HATE losing my cookies – so all I did was clear cache & saved web sites (NOT your history). Saved web sites supposedly save time – but I like to reload web sides whenever I read them, so fairly pointless (unless a techo can tell me otherwise).

Go to Tools – Options – click on privacy tab.

2/3 down screen is “you may want to clear your recent history or remove individual cookies”

click on clear your recent history

Small window gives options on what to clear

Select (tick) Cache and Offsite web site data

Untick any other options that have a tick

Click clear now – at bottom of small window

This can take quite awhile if you haven’t done it for a long time (3-5 minutes)

Click OK on options screen when clear finishes

NB – the other option removing individual cookies – can be handy at times – you can use the search box to find sites where you want to remove the cookies, without losing any that you want to keep.

And to mention the “ts” – those are my initials – just one of each. :)

• 7 sabreen60
      June 4, 2013 at 10:14 am

Congrats on #1 Almablanca.

2. 8 Layla
    June 4, 2013 at 10:01 am

Good morning Chips and all

June 4, 2013 at 10:09 am

A very “Good Morning” to you Lady Mayor Chips. It has been quite a while since I’ve passed you by/you’ve passed by me so early in the day! You look quite bright eyed and bushy-tailed, I must say. :lol: :lol: Have an enjoyable day!

June 4, 2013 at 10:09 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, etc and congratulations to Almablanca on #1! :)

These front page headlines bring back great memories = what an epic moment!

5. 15 japa21
    June 4, 2013 at 10:11 am

That was the day that, in reality, the US and the world won. Looking back, it was the real beginning of change. As soon as the nomination was secured, I knew PBO would win come November. Unlike many chicken littles, as Al Girodana called them, my only question was what the margin of victory would be.
    A lot of people look at the country and world nowadays and see what hasn’t been accomplished (specially the emoprogs). I not only look and see what has been accomplished, which is a significant amount, but I also look and wonder what the world and our country would be like if McCain had won. And when I do that, I shudder.
    And that is part of PBO’s legacy. Not only what he has accomplished but also what, by becoming President, he prevented from happening.

• 16 CEB
      June 4, 2013 at 10:18 am

True. I am especially thankful that 4 years later he was re-elected and we did not have to say President Romney (ugh) and First Lady Ann.

• 17 99ts
      June 4, 2013 at 10:47 am

Japa – I’ve recently been watching a doc on our labor PM elected in 1972. He had some wonderful social ideas – introduced universal health care, no fault divorce, support for single parents, raised basic wage, supported indigenous people – changed out foreign policies away from Europe and support US in everything to closer ties with Asia (our neighbors) and stopped military service conscription. He tried to do them all INSTANTLY – without a good knowledge of the economic impacts. In three years he did more than the prior party had done in 20 years – but inflation ran riot & he didn’t have a majority in the senate & all sorts of other issues and the opposition refused supply (funding) – Sound familar?

It’s a long story, but basically a majority of the people could not handle the pace of the change & in an election that never should have happened he was defeated.

PBO knows full well that if he had gone in boots and all in those first 2 years, he would have achieved nothing and may not have won in 2012. By winning both elections he has stopped the GOP taking from the poor to give to the rich. He will be achieving things for the US long after his Presidency is over.

June 4, 2013 at 10:12 am

June 4, 2013 at 10:13 am

Good Morning/Afternoon TODobots all over the world! May the sun shine brightly on all who need it, and the rain fall heavily on those who need that too! May everyone’s health take an uptick today and may we all find a reason – even if a small one – to be happy and to rejoice!

Love the way you show love in this community! Peace. :grin:

8. 20 japa21
    June 4, 2013 at 10:13 am

9. June 4, 2013 at 10:13 am

1st!! And don’t try to muddy the waters by throwing pesky trivialities at me like facts and reality. I’m a FOX/MSNBC/CNN/Whatever other hackneyed media outfit contributor.

I say again. 1st!!

10. 25 CEB
    June 4, 2013 at 10:15 am

Chips and the mini-blog tyrants have been especially on fire in the past few weeks; coverage on all things sublime and ridiculous. Cannot thank all of you enough for keeping us informed and up-to-date.

11. 26 Ladyhawke
    June 4, 2013 at 10:16 am

Good morning darlings. How are all of my little CHIPadees doing this morning?

• June 4, 2013 at 10:34 am

:-) Moooooorning LadyHawke!

June 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Hey LadyH, you ARE the originator of ‘Chipadee’, aren’t you? I love it as applied to the assistant bloggers and have used it often, but can’t quite remember who first used it here on the day the assistants burst into prominence. I have a vague memory it was you. Am I right?

12. June 4, 2013 at 10:16 am

Goood moorrrningggg!

13. 32 sabreen60
    June 4, 2013 at 10:17 am

Good Morning TOD and Ms. Chips. I will always remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when *Senator Barack Obama* clenched the nomination – in front of the TV and very breathless.

14. 34 andogriff
    June 4, 2013 at 10:17 am

Mooorning Ms Chips, and everyone! Wonderful R & S, some great articles to pass around…. hope everyone has an excellent Tuesday!

15. June 4, 2013 at 10:18 am

Reminder:

10:30 AM EDT: President Obama Announces Nomination of Candidates for US Court of Appeals for DC Circuit

June 4, 2013 at 10:21 am

Fantastic round-up Chiparoo. So many goodies.

Thanks for the memories. We’ve come so far and made so much historic progress.

• June 4, 2013 at 10:28 am

Mooooorning my beloved Chelsea girl!! It’s been a beautiful journey!

• 38 99ts
        June 4, 2013 at 10:52 am

Whenever I get a little low about the politics – I go to youtube and watch the Fox News pundits declaring President Obama re-elected. Guess I am bad being so happy about the sad looks on their faces.

17. 39 Ladyhawke
    June 4, 2013 at 10:21 am

David Frum Warns Republicans About Their Total War Against President Obama

By: Sarah Jones

—————————————-

Frum pointed out that the “scandal” at the IRS is an agency scandal, not a White House scandal, and urged Republicans to stop trying to destroy government because they would need it to work when they take the White House again.

I am going to break this one paragrahp down point by point. Via the Daily Beast, Frum acknowledged that Republicans/conservatives have engaged in Total War on President Obama, “Still … conservative reformers should admit, if only to themselves, the harm that has been done by the politics of total war over the past five years.”

——————————————–

• June 4, 2013 at 10:24 am

Conservatism is only good for protesting. It’s unworkable when it comes to governing.

• 41 Ladyhawke
        June 4, 2013 at 10:29 am

GOVERNING AND PROBLEM SOLVING HAVE BEEN ABANDONED

What scandal-mania overreach looks like

By Steve Benen

—————————–

It’s the latest evidence to bolster the post-policy thesis — governing and problem-solving have been abandoned, replaced with a partisan desire to shamelessly exploit an underwhelming bureaucratic glitch to do what the far-right wants to do anyway. There’s real, meaningful work to be done when it comes to the integrity of laws related to tax-exempt groups and the IRS’s challenges in enforcing an ambiguous tax code. But that work is hard, and it appears Republicans aren’t interested in doing it.

———————————–

• 42 99ts
      June 4, 2013 at 10:54 am

All the pundits are saying the same thing – they won’t ever report the truth about the administration – they just want to stop the really stupid in the GOP – well tis just too late – the media supported the stupid and now they are stuck with it. Good to see.

• 43 nathkatun7
      June 4, 2013 at 2:11 pm

It’s not the Republicans waging a “Total War” on President Obama. Most of the mainstream media are also actively participating in a war on President Obama.

18. 45 debz
    June 4, 2013 at 10:24 am

Great rise and shine as always.

June 4, 2013 at 10:24 am

This is funny (so sense of humour is weird :roll: ), Chips Chica, did you consciously include a ‘hispanic’ front page? I was looking for the French but …….

20. June 4, 2013 at 10:24 am

GM Chips, TOD…..wonderful montage of images and round-up!

21. June 4, 2013 at 10:26 am

22. June 4, 2013 at 10:27 am

23. June 4, 2013 at 10:32 am

24. 53 dotster3
    June 4, 2013 at 10:37 am

Great collection of stuff here, Ms. chips—-the old and the new. Reminded again about those exciting, thrilling times. I lived and loved every minute of it. And haha—“Hey—–that looks like me!” And it does! Wonder why the unhinged Repubs didn’t make some kind of scandal out of that. Obama drawings in ancient Egypt!?? Birt cert pales in comparison. Cue the eerie music. The goofballs goofed! :)

• June 4, 2013 at 10:44 am

Moooooorning Dotster! You know, I have a vague memory that the RWNJs did make a fuss about the ‘it looks like me’ comment, something about PBO comparing himself to a Pharoah. :???: Dotster, how are we still semi-sane after all this madness?!

• 55 dotster3
        June 4, 2013 at 11:01 am

Sigh—-I should have known. Every utterance provides an opportunity for criticism by some sick whackjob somewhere. But we are proud of our ability to remain semi-sane in the midst of all the madness, aren’t we? Altho sometimes when I catch sight of your kitchen………………sorta worried.

June 4, 2013 at 11:17 am

‘Altho sometimes when I catch sight of your kitchen………………sorta worried.’

Look on the bright side, Dotster – (I never thought of it this way until your comment, but ) Chips has chosen this outlet in which she can release her insanity. With this new insight, I think I’ll be better able to tolerate her ‘creative’ kitchens in future. Thanks Dotster. In fact, I might even chip in to provide her more kitchen space in the interest of getting rid of ALL her insanity.

• June 4, 2013 at 11:26 am

I was nodding in agreement until I got to the last bit, Dotster. Oooooooooh!!!!!

25. 62 japa21
    June 4, 2013 at 10:38 am

26. June 4, 2013 at 10:40 am

27. 64 Linda
    June 4, 2013 at 10:41 am

MSNBC pulled a Fox and cut away from this announcement.

• 65 Bill
      June 4, 2013 at 10:55 am

And then they featured a Republican woman ranting that PBO was wrong by making the nominations, and all he was doing was trying to divert people from the “three big scandals”.

June 4, 2013 at 10:42 am

Oh boy, I can just imagine how the media will ‘scandalize’ PBO’s comments later on, although *I* see the President as actually giving the MSM their reports in as simplistic a manner as possible. He even repeated the main points! :grin:

29. 67 japa21
    June 4, 2013 at 10:43 am

I don’t expect the media to report much on these nominations, specially the part where PBO talks about GOP obstructionism. I was tempterd to make this much stronger.

30. June 4, 2013 at 10:43 am

PBO IS NOT PLAYING. Wow, he really skewered the Senate GOP idiots!

• 69 Ladyhawke
      June 4, 2013 at 10:55 am

THIS WAS AN INDICTMENT OF THE MEDIA AND GOP OBSTRUCTION

Meta, that’s what I call ripping the scab off of the Republican Party obstruction and the MSM lack of journalistic integrity. Just imagine the number of Americans who will hear this and say “Gee I didn’t know that.” I can’t wait to see how the GOP and the MSM try to spin this. Facts are stubborn things.

• June 4, 2013 at 10:56 am

It was amazing. He went into such great detail, I do hope it somehow filters through to the general public. He’s fed up and so are we.

31. 71 Nena20409
    June 4, 2013 at 10:44 am

My oh Mine….Ms. Chips, a tip of the Hat to YOU ;) Job well done. Thank You.

GM TODville Villagers. Happy Tuesday.

Love this post.

32. 72 dotster3
    June 4, 2013 at 10:44 am

First Lady to meet with Chgo h.s. students at the WH Wed. She had gone to their school when she was in Chgo to discuss gun violence in the city.

33. 74 Nena20409
    June 4, 2013 at 10:45 am

Just Finished watching LOD…..Boy, the man is on Fire. Wow :!:

34. 75 Vicki
    June 4, 2013 at 10:46 am

Tried to watch PBO’s announcements on TV and guess what NOT on CSPAN, not any of them, Not CSPAN 1, Not CSPAN 2 and Not CSPAN 3. MSNBC had it for a bit and then went to their Strategists, so-called, better named Propagandists.

It has become increasingly difficult to get any news at all from traditional outlets.
    The Corporate Overlords are turning out our lights as quickly as they can.

They would like to pretend that we have no President at all as a positive governing force.
    The President exists for them as an imaginary figment of their imaginations and a target for their abuse.

35. June 4, 2013 at 10:46 am

Moooorning latecomers/lazy bones!

36. 79 donna dem 4 obama
    June 4, 2013 at 10:50 am

Wow Chips this is an Outstanding Rise and Shine this morning. I have so many wonderful memories about that 2008 campaign and you brought them flooding back today!

• June 4, 2013 at 11:15 am

Wasn’t that a great sight when you opened TOD this morning?

Agree wholeheartedly. Such trauma and drama during Spring 2008.

And those delightful Egypt entries that end the post… the hieroglyphic that looks like POTUS. LOL.

And UTA’s tweet with our President and Attorney General saying the “browning of America.” I see two good looking, accomplished leaders. We live in the 1960s Star Trek where ethnic (and extraterrestial alien) diversity were just part of the landscape. Aside from the budget- and time-constraint cheesy special effects, the original Star Trek doesn’t feel as dated as most of the 1960s television offerings.

Thanks for this and everything, Chips!

37. 81 japa21
    June 4, 2013 at 10:51 am

June 4, 2013 at 10:54 am

39. 84 Jovie
    June 4, 2013 at 10:55 am

A large Group of House Republicans are saying that GOD told them to save The Speakers job.
    Ok, so God saved Boners job?
    Really? You expect us to believe that?

40. 85 Ladyhawke
    June 4, 2013 at 11:01 am

Eric Boehlert ‏@EricBoehlert 13h

—————————————

last 30 days: car sales way up. home prices way up. Dow way up, consumer confidence way up. so yeah, makes sense cable obsesses over IRS

————————————————

41. June 4, 2013 at 11:04 am

• 87 Nena20409
      June 4, 2013 at 11:11 am

That SOB grand theft auto insurance schemer is totally bat poop nuts.

A man with over $750M has such Low self esteem complex that appearing on TV/Cable has become his life?

• 88 Nena20409
      June 4, 2013 at 11:14 am

Best Takedown ever….. ;)

June 4, 2013 at 11:12 am

June 4, 2013 at 11:15 am

Morning!! Lazy riser here:) Smartypants has another great read this morning:)

44. 92 cookemom
    June 4, 2013 at 11:20 am

Good Morning to all my O peeps!! How’s it going in the land of TOD on this great getting up day??

So Issa he is or Issa he ain’t still a one note fool?

• 94 Ladyhawke
      June 4, 2013 at 11:58 am

Thanks for the link DF. Excellent post from Booman. These two sentences just jumped off the screen. Truer words were never spoken….

It’s almost as if the House Republicans have had their central nervous system removed. There is no brain activity.

45. 96 Ladyhawke
    June 4, 2013 at 11:22 am

Fox News’ Complicated Relationship With Leak Investigations

Laura Ingraham Gets Amnesia About Valerie Plame Inquiry

BY ERIC BOEHLERT

—————————————-

Deeply concerned about the state of the Justice Department in the wake of revelations that it had seized phone records from journalists as part of national security leak investigations, Fox News contributor Laura Ingraham on complained Republican critics were being accused of partisan “overreach” in their attacks. Referencing the previous Bush administration and its famous leak investigation, Ingraham asked on June 2, “How many times did we hear about overreach in the Valerie Plame prosecution? I don’t remember one time.”

Thinking back, Ingraham can’t remember “one time” when special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald was accused of “overreach” as he set out to investigate the unauthorized disclosure of a CIA employee’s identity by what was eventually revealed to be high-ranking Bush administration officials. That’s odd, because Fox News was relentless in its criticism of Fitzgerald, and often loudly lobbed the very specific allegation that he was guilty of prosecutorial overreach.

——————————————-

46. June 4, 2013 at 11:30 am

“To be a human Twitter account, one must speak in phrases of 140 characters or fewer. In his speech two weeks ago, on the sobering subject of drone warfare and targeted assassinations, 71 percent of the president’s sentences clocked in under this marker. The president’s 2013 State of the Union address weighed in at 72 percent tweetable. In his commencement address to Morehouse College in mid-May, that figure was 82%”

47. June 4, 2013 at 11:30 am

Rachel opened her show with a great, informative (and long, over 18 minutes long) segment on Senator Lautenberg’s passing. Those who live in the Northeast are probably familiar with his campaign history, but it was all news to me. Loved that she introduced the show with a reference to Doonesbury’s Lacy Davenport (skip to for 2:50 for the Doonesbury intro).

And to honor Sen. Lautenberg’s contribution to the Democratic Party, Dems everywhere should take his statement to heart and consider this our battle cry for 2014 (reposted from yesterday).

June 4, 2013 at 11:31 am

This “Jimmy Wharton” fella describes himself on Twitter as:

” Supporter of all Dems and the 2013 Obama agenda. Join us if you support a better life for all Americans. News feed covering President Obama”

Yet tweets all kinds of nasty things about PBO from questionable sources like Newspin, Breitbart and FOX News to name a few. Here are just a few examples:

49. June 4, 2013 at 11:35 am

Obama’s Economic Triumph

by Michael Tomasky

It’s increasingly clear that the president has steered the country back from the brink—and, in the process, exposed (yet again) the central lie of conservative economics.

50. 117 57andfemale
    June 4, 2013 at 11:42 am

• 118 Ladyhawke
      June 4, 2013 at 11:53 am

This just makes me giddy. I was wondering when this would happen. I wish the Democrats at the hearing would use their time to play the segment from Lawrence O’Donnell last night where he totally eviscerated the so called IRS scandal. It really does seem like we have finally reached a tipping point with the IRS scandal mongering. There was that fabulous tweet from David Plouffe about Grand Theft Auto Issa. Followed by Lawrence O’Donnell’s takedown. And now this testimony today just tops the whole thing off. Darrell Issa is looking like bungler and a partisan bungler at that. The fact that he was ever assigned as chairman of the government oversight committee is scandalous. But then again, if Michelle Bachmann was assigned to the intelligence committee I should not be surprised. smdh.

• June 4, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I am so glad the IRS and the DEMS are not going to repeat 1998. I remember when the IRS and even State Auditors (me) were getting a black eye due to those hearings. I was not as political so I did not know this was a staged faux scandal to give President Clinton a black eye……it aint gonna work this time.

• June 4, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Burn! We got a three alarmer here. This happened under Bush, Bush appointees testified neither PBO or any of his people had anything to do with it and the more the hearings go on the closer we are getting to those tea party secret donors.

Please proceed GOP.

June 4, 2013 at 11:45 am

Here’s a winning message! NOT! http://politicalwire.com/archives/2013/06/04/governor_blames_educational_mediocrity_on_women_working.html

Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant (R) said that America’s educational troubles began when women began working outside the home in large numbers, the Washington Post reports.

In response to a question about how America became “so mediocre” in regard to educational outcomes, he said: “I think both parents started working. The mom got in the work place.”

Way to go, GOP! Dig the hole deeper.

June 4, 2013 at 11:49 am

June 4, 2013 at 11:52 am

54. 130 Layla
    June 4, 2013 at 11:55 am

A fleeing Taliban terrorist, desperate for water, was plodding through the Afghan desert when he saw something far off in the distance. Hoping to find water, he hurried toward the mirage, only to find a very frail little old Jewish man standing at a small makeshift display rack – selling ties.

The Taliban terrorist asked, “Do you have water?”

The Jewish man replied, “I have no water. Would you like to buy a tie? They are only $5.”

The Taliban shouted hysterically, “Idiot Infidel! I do not need such an over-priced western adornment – I spit on your ties. I need water!”

“Sorry, I have none -just ties – pure silk – and only $5.”

“Pahh! A curse on your ties, I should wrap one around your scrawny little neck and choke the life out of you, but I must conserve my energy and find water!”

“Okay,” said the little old Jewish man, “It does not matter that you do not want to buy a tie from me or that you hate me, threaten my life and call me infidel. I will show you that I am bigger than any of that. If you continue over that hill to the east for about two miles, you will find a restaurant. It has the finest food and all the ice-cold water you need. Go In Peace.”

Cursing him again, the desperate Taliban staggered away over the hill. Several hours later he crawled back, almost dead and gasped: “They won’t let me in without a tie!”

June 4, 2013 at 11:56 am

So true. They kill EVERYONE.

June 4, 2013 at 12:03 pm

If you genuinely believe that PBO is so unpopular and ineffective, then why would you feel the need to hide behind the false persona of an “Obama supporter” or an “Obama agenda” supporter, getting his true supporters to follow you, while tearing him down on the sly? Why wouldn’t you just be straight about your dislike of his policies/agenda, etc and state this upfront?

June 4, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Come on Fedex. You can do this (2 sets down. 3-2 in 3rd)

• June 4, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I don’t know, amk. Tsonga seems to have the juice today.

• 143 amk for obama
        June 4, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Not yet, LL, not yet. He pulled off a 5 setter just day before y’day.

• 145 amk for obama
            June 4, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Don’t worry. Your boy will get caught in some drug scandal some day.

• 147 amk for obama
                June 4, 2013 at 12:26 pm

You mean, arm, right? Something is ‘not right’ with this pic.

• June 4, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Chips, do you agree w/ me that Rafa should not be #3 seed at French……makes no sense playing Djokavic in semis?

• June 4, 2013 at 12:45 pm

It was a strange one alright LP considering Rafa’s French Open record, but I presume because he was out for so long his ranking/seeding was impacted?

• June 4, 2013 at 12:50 pm

That seems like what the rationale would be……but the don’t use it uniformly…… I mean Rafa’s got what 7 French titles? I know when Serena is out for a year, unless she dropped out of ATP rankings they would always seed her according to her results the previous time she played the same tourney….I would say the same for FedEx at Wimbledon, or Sampras at US open….stupid people making stupid decisions. Probably same people who decided the electronic ball mark is not accurate enough use at the French as well.

• June 4, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I think the Ozzies had Serena unseeded one year – and, of course, she went on to win it! The rules seem to vary on this after players have been out for a while, seems to be up to the committees at each tournament rather than any hard and fast general rules?

• June 4, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Yes the ATP rules have certain restrictions if your ranking drops to a certain number……or if you have not played enough ATP sanctioned tourneys in the tennis calendar year….Which is why they would have Venus/Serena ranked 28th in tourneys…but the Majors have more discretion….it’s all messed up… I’m just upset the “Spanish Fly” will be playing Joe Willie in semis and Rafa/Djokavic will most likely be the other semi. Oh well……side note…what ever happened to Verdasco? I know you ladies drool over him like Rafa as well….

• June 4, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Joe Willie is gonna pull this out…….but he always fails to complete the tourney

• 154 amk for obama
        June 4, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Yup, he did. :(

• June 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Serena got roughed up today down 0-2 in the third…then she turned it on. I’m kinda upset w/ the men’s seeding. Djokavic/Nadal should be final…..don’t know how Rafa could be seeded 3 at French….idiotic. I would same same for FedEx at Wimbelden

• 156 Bill
      June 4, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Tsonga is good but is Fedex injured? His last match went five tough sets.

58. June 4, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Morning fellow Obama shills!

I’ll have my post up as soon as the comment counter hits a few more ticks here.

59. June 4, 2013 at 12:12 pm

#FORWARD FOCUSED

60. 163 dotster3
    June 4, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Save Lilly the pet deer!

61. June 4, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Ok, I’ve been having weird things happening with my posts. Now my new post is before my night owl post. Chips, Help!!!!

62. 169 Linda
    June 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm

What ever happened to Ron Johnson-R Wisconsin ?

He has been muted since Hillary testified and John Kerry embarrassed him during his confirmation hearing.

June 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Go Serena. Now into semis after beating kuznetzova in 3.

64. 171 MightyPamela
    June 4, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Been in and out, and about, chatting with Australia in HongKong. Do not see the page posted by LL, have to go do birdies now. Hugs all around, it’s a good day! (despite me knee still won’t bend!) :)