Jun

Rise and Shine

Today – all times EST:

11:50 AM: The President delivers a statement to reporters on the Affordable Care Act, Fairmont Hotel, San Jose

White House Live * C-Span * CBS

12:25: Departs San Jose

1:35: Arrives Los Angeles

3:0: Delivers remarks at a DNC Fundraiser, Private Residence, Santa Monica

5:05: Departs Los Angeles

5:55: Arrives Palm Springs

8:0: Participates in a photo opportunity with President Xi Jinping of China, at The Annenberg Retreat at Sunnylands, Rancho Mirage, California.

8:05: Holds a bilateral meeting with President Xi Jinping

11:0: Holds a working dinner with President Xi Jinping

Steve Benen: … The U.S. economy added 175,000 jobs in May, slightly better than expected, though the overall unemployment rate inched higher to 7.6%. As is usually the case, there was a gap between the two major sectors – America’s private sector added 178,000 jobs last month, while spending cuts caused the public sector lose 3,000 jobs.

One key figure to keep in mind, however, was local-government hiring, where 13,000 jobs were created. We’ve grown accustomed to municipalities doing the opposite, and if this holds up (and continues), it will strengthen the overall job market…

More here

PS Loved this: “Do you folks remember the last time Steve Benen took a day off? Yeah, we had to go back and look, too. I’m happy to report that Steve is taking vacation today and tomorrow, Thursday and Friday.”

But…. “Steve says he’ll be escaping vacation at least long enough to post the new unemployment report – and his famous bikini graph – on Friday morning.”

Yes, he took a break from his two day vacation to post on the jobs’ figures. He’s a hoot.

Must-read – although, Tomasky makes the mistake of suggesting the deranged hate only comes from the right:

Michael Tomasky: Nothing will stop Republicans from trying to turn the IRS scandal into Watergate. They simply despise Obama too much to settle for anything less ….. That’s all this is really about — their base’s rage at the continued existence of Barack Obama, and their own twisted craving to acknowledge and stoke it.

…. all that is to say nothing of the racist invective that is the constant background music of this presidency …. We in the media never discuss this, but it is a daily diet in this country — yes, daily — and nothing said about any president in history that I can think of comes close to matching its relentless and savage sickness.

…. The liberal base hated George Bush all right, but the hate wasn’t quite as existential, wasn’t quite as drenched in the same kind of suppurated derangement one finds in quarters of the right.

Besides which, Bush discredited himself through his uniform incompetence. Obama, clearly competent, has not done that and is unlikely to do it. So the Republicans have to do it to him. Tarnishing Obama is the only way they can emerge from these eight years not completely humiliated by him, so we’re just going to have to endure it.

Full post here

Noam Scheiber (New Republic): …. the GOP’s health care preoccupation is absolutely destroying its long-term prospects …. To put the problem in Marxian terms, Obamacare has become the opiate of the GOP. By its own admission, the party must broaden its appeal to Latinos, gays, and young voters. It needs an economic agenda that encompasses more than tax cuts for the rich and brutal spending cuts. It has to persuade voters it’s more than just a nihilistic force bent on triggering global financial apocalypse if it doesn’t get its way in Washington. And yet, when party leaders so much as broach these liabilities, conservatives revolt and the leadership caves, appeasing them with an issue whose political utility peaked two-and-a-half years ago….

….. The desperation here is palpable, but also understandable. If, instead of trying to fix your party’s deepest pathologies you wagered its entire future on a high-risk strategy that was starting to turn bad, you’d be a little desperate, too. Perhaps it’s a subset of Obama Derangement Syndrome that afflicts conservatives when they talk about health care …. Maybe one day, once the dust has settled, it’ll be covered under Obamacare, too.

Full post here

Two lines from the NYT piece on Greenwald – this one made me smile:

The leak, he said, came from “a reader of mine” who was comfortable working with him. The source, Mr. Greenwald said, “knew the views that I had and had an expectation of how I would display them.”

Indeed, we all have an expectation of how Cato/Koch boy ‘displays’ these things – this, after all, is the guy who reckoned Bush and Cheney’s national security judgment should be “deferred to”.

And this from Andrew Sullivan – even he can be right sometimes:

“I think [Greenwald] has little grip on what it actually means to govern a country or run a war.”

When Greenwald believed a President was entitled to have his national security judgment “deferred to”:

From March, always worth reminding ourselves about this guy – read here

Agenda much?

Charles Pierce: … The IRS shouldn’t be policing the insane campaign-finance system, but it is, because political groups found a way to game it, and the IRS was the one empowered to referee that particular game. The IRS got overwhelmed by a deluge of groups trying to game the system because the Supreme Court opened the floodgates. Most of said groups were made up of the highly energized shut-ins of the Republican base. The IRS tried to cope with the deluge, and did so using criteria that were manifestly inappropriate. Many groups found their paperwork gummed up and their ability to game the system delayed. This is all revealed…by the IRS. Strike up the martyr’s dance. I predict none of this will matter. And now it seems to be about line dancing and hotel suites, anyway. The Summer Of Fakery knows no bounds.

Full post here

Paul Krugman: The Spite Club

House Republicans have voted 37 times to repeal ObamaRomneyCare — the Affordable Care Act, which creates a national health insurance system similar to the one Massachusetts has had since 2006. Nonetheless, almost all of the act will go fully into effect at the beginning of next year.

There is, however, one form of obstruction still available to the G.O.P. Last year’s Supreme Court decision upholding the law’s constitutionality also gave states the right to opt out of one piece of the plan, a federally financed expansion of Medicaid. Sure enough, a number of Republican-dominated states seem set to reject Medicaid expansion, at least at first.

And why would they do this? They won’t save money. On the contrary, they will hurt their own budgets and damage their own economies. Nor will Medicaid rejectionism serve any clear political purpose. As I’ll explain later, it will probably hurt Republicans for years to come.

No, the only way to understand the refusal to expand Medicaid is as an act of sheer spite….

More here

Epic:

Four years ago:

President Obama talks with aides outside the U.S. Ambassador’s residence in Paris before returning to Washington, June 7, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

MooooOOOOoooorning!

149 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

June 7, 2013 at 10:40 am

Hello.

June 7, 2013 at 10:40 am

• 8 Don
      June 7, 2013 at 10:42 am

In Dante’s Inferno I wonder which level of hell Glenn Greenwald is in knowing that the DOJ is hot on his tail.

June 7, 2013 at 10:43 am

Utal’s in the house! Morning! :grin:

Hi! It’s Friday! :lol: :lol: Good Morning, EVERYONE – including you, Ms Chips! ;)

• 10 Don
      June 7, 2013 at 10:54 am

I want to thank Chips and utaustinliberal and the gang for all their fine work.

June 7, 2013 at 11:30 am

Yep, I second that, Don!

We (in TOD-village) are very pampered in many ways and there are times *I* ‘forget’ to say thanks because I think ‘They know I’m grateful, appreciative, thankful; think they’re the bees’ knees(wonder where that one came from); love them to pieces; can’t resist them for long; break out in hives when I HAVE to do every day stuff away from here, so why embarrass them by telling them in mushy words that they are loved and are really, really appreciated?’ Except that I rarely think twice when it comes to prodding them with an elbow. ;) ;)

/smh/ Most of my adult life I’ve marveled at how much ‘easier’ / more ‘natural’ it is to give and/or accept ‘insults’ from friends than it is to accept and give praise/thanks. /smh/

Thank/praise a Dem today!

BTW – I love my TOD village, its community atmosphere, its fighting spirit, its defense of the O’s, the Lady Mayor, its local (=state) Chipadees, and its gathering and sharing of pertinent, truthful information!

Thanks y’all! :razz:

• June 7, 2013 at 11:33 am

I echo that thanks!!!

• June 7, 2013 at 11:36 am

Thank you so much Don, I echo your thanks to the gang!

• 15 jackiegrumbacher
          June 7, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Just got back from chores and wanted you to know, Chips, that this is one helluva Rise and Shine. I learned so much and very grateful for your putting it all in one place.

June 7, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Thank you, Chips, and I echo everyone’s thoughts of how you keep us all enlightened, informed, and happier to be alive during the Obama years! Glad to be back in your town!

4. 17 cookemom
    June 7, 2013 at 10:44 am

congrats on 1st UT! Quite an R&S there Chippa. It’ll be nightfall before I get through it all. Great reads.

5. June 7, 2013 at 10:45 am

Good Morning, Everyone :)

6. 19 Ladyhawke
    June 7, 2013 at 10:45 am

So I Assume the GOP Will Support Repealing Some Bush Era Things

By Bob Cesca

—————————-

So I assume all these guys will support a repeal of the PATRIOT Act, FISA and the 2001 AUMF? They spent eight years demanding a surveillance state under the mantra of “you can’t have a Constitution if you’re dead” and now they’re outraged when they get what they want.

—————————————

• 20 Ladyhawke
      June 7, 2013 at 10:48 am

Great comment at this blog post ………..

missliberties • 30 minutes ago

First off both ‘breaking stories’ got their facts wrong. Thank Mr. Greenwald hack journalist extradinaire. Can we call him Glenn, Alex Jones, Greenwald now?

Secondly, the Congress reauthorized these programs in 2012. Remember the huge controversy and debate about it? Neither do I.

Third, there is no presumption of privacy these days. Video camera in cities, stores, police stations, etc.

Fourth I am glad people are having this debate.

Fifth I do not appreciate the knee jerk reaction from the Press who got the facts of the story wrong AGAIN. WaPo has already issued some corrections.

June 7, 2013 at 10:51 am

Morning everyone! Thanks for this piece, Ladyhawke! Even the comments are right on point!

7. 23 vitaminlover
    June 7, 2013 at 10:45 am

I love this boomerang effect. The more these people hate on President Obama and his administration the bigger it backfires.

8. 24 Don
    June 7, 2013 at 10:46 am

I want everyone to look that the level of support Bill Clinton was given after his (real!) scandal and the bullshit President Obama had to go through just to get health care passed, and trying to close Gitmo, and everything else he’s tried to accomplish. You tell me why President Obama isn’t receiving the same kind of support.

Where the fuck does Al Gore get off telling this President that his actions regarding the security of this nation is “outrageous?” Why didn’t I hear Al Gore speak up when the okie-doke was being played on him back in 2000? But now all of a sudden he’s got the balls to criticize President Obama?

I can’t let that shit pass anymore, I can’t hold it inside and act like the disrespect isn’t there anymore. Where are all the Democratic Senators and Congress people that are supposed to support this President? Where is the fire and passion to help President Obama like it was to help Clinton in his time of need?

Obama gave us health care, and ended DADT. Those two things alone should have him in the history books as one of the greatest Presidents of all time. And sometime later this month DOMA is going down the drain, but yet President Obama has to plead for help from his own side.
    After all he’s done for our gay brothers and sisters, the leading gay rights organization GLAAD gave its highest award to a President that effectively told gay service members to hide in the shadows.

It hurts me so much to see the bullshit that this man has to endure; it hurts me to my core. From the moment Barack Obama stepped into the Whitehouse, new ways have been invented to call him a nigger. And now I’m supposed to chalk it all up to “politics?” not again and not this time.

• June 7, 2013 at 10:59 am

Phony outrage by Gore. He knows this has been going in since 2007 and that Congress last year authorized this program for another 5 years. He also knows FISA has been in existence since 1978.

Jealousy is an unpleasant thing to watch.

• 26 jackiegrumbacher
        June 7, 2013 at 12:46 pm

He’s also now become completely irrelevant, derbingle. Nobody looks to him for anything and he wants desperately to make his opinions important again. Too bad, Al. It’s too late.

June 7, 2013 at 2:29 pm

From my perspective, Bill Clinton is just as irrelevant, unless he complies with a direct request for support from Pres. Obama. Otherwise, fade into the background, Bubba.

• 28 Linda
      June 7, 2013 at 11:02 am

Every time I get a request from the DNC for a donation, I send it back with a BIG

” NOT UNTIL YOU START SUPPORTING THE PRESIDENT ” !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 7, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Debbie W-S is a great supporter as chair, but I understand what you mean. When I was still getting direct mail from the Dem Congressional coordinating committees, I’d also mail it back with a return to sender “unless” … message on the envelope!

• 31 HZ
          June 7, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I completely understand Don. You are right on the money. I see it and, we all have to know it and see it as well. We have three and one half years to stand up, for, and with POB with every ounce of strength in us. We worked so hard during each election to make it happen alongside POB, and he does not want us to stop; and I hope we will be able to continue to fight with all of our might to help him finish the journey.

We have to boldly call these haters, obstructionists, and jealous evil people out all the way. These haters know that it is not just “politics ” but it is because these people do not want him to succeed as our 44th President. But he will work as hard as he has always done, and I will be with him all the way. I have seen this crap work in my own family, but we stood together as a family, and a community, and worked our butts off to stand together.

They do not want us to be joyful in the results of what we accomplished to get POB elected, and these old and young haters in this nation do not honor a brilliant educated, compassionate, problem solving AA man reach the highest office in the land, President of the United States.

Hate and jealously are two very low, and small minded operators to live with each day of life. It is a sad, and ugly way to live daily. And it hurts like hell to see it happen to a beautiful, brilliant, and such a caring and decent man like our President.HZ

• 32 Puddin'
        June 7, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Linda, I do the same!!!

June 7, 2013 at 11:05 am

So well said, Don…and right on all your points. We all feel the same frustrations, I know I do. When I get angry like this, I just push harder…they will NOT take away from all the good this man has worked so hard for, what WE worked so hard for. I think we just keep engaging ourselves and talking to everyone we can…help OFA….one foot in front of the other. I think that certain folks WANT us to throw up our hands in surrender and I just won’t do that….the disrespect shown this President tears at my heart, but then I remember that as a nation, we elected him twice. The haters will always hate, but I think that America is far out ahead of these people…hell, they are far out ahead of the people in congress! This change we seek is difficult…nothing worth while is ever easy, otherwise it would be done already.

Don’t get discouraged…that breeds apathy and that’s what we DON’T need. Know that this man has your back and we need to have his…that means registering voters and doing whatever it takes to make this vision a reality for all. Money, power and influence…is all working against us…but we have sheer numbers and heart. It’ll be ok…we have to give him a Dem congress and a stronger senate….roll up your sleeves, dust yourself off, and think “Change has come to America!” Let’s do this thing! With or without them.

• 34 Jessica
      June 7, 2013 at 11:53 am

Jackie Robinson took all the garbage and hate to make it easier for ppl to follow in his footsteps. He can handle even if we can’t.

• June 7, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I hear ya Don. It’s complete bullshit. Too many hung up on NOT looking like “Obots” that they break their necks to criticize him.

• 40 jackiegrumbacher
      June 7, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I feel exactly as you do, Don, and I’m trying to channel my anger into something productive. We need to do the job PBO taught us–community organize. Reach out to people and tell the truth and then invite them to pass the truth on to their neighbors. The RW and the msm want us to give up, to become cynical, to passively surrender or worse yet, lose faith in our president. We will do the opposite. Work harder, believe more intensively and support our president by working every day to deliver the real message about his presidency to everyone in our community.

• June 7, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Whew, Don. You speak for me. It’s hard to bear, indeed. Even harder to figure how to handle it all. He’s getting it from all sides now- left, right, black, white, etc., etc. My attitude is F em all.

• 43 Betsy
      June 7, 2013 at 1:11 pm

It hurs me to the core too.

• 44 Betsy
        June 7, 2013 at 1:18 pm

That should say *hurts. I am in Canada right now visiting my husband’s family as his brother (52), has been diagnosed with metastatic cancer. Just checking in and am so glad at having this place to come to.

• 47 nathkatun7
      June 7, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Thank you, thank you so much, Don for expressing so well every thing I feel! I am also especially pissed at CBC which was very vocal in supporting Bill Clinton during the scandal but is now quiet as church mouse.

9. 48 MightyPamela
    June 7, 2013 at 10:48 am

Mornin’ y’all! Our Chipsticks… {{{{{Chipsticks}}}}} http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=PBO

10. 51 japa21
    June 7, 2013 at 10:54 am

So I go to the end of the driveway, pick up this morning’s Chicago Tribune, and by the time I was back to the house I was ready to throw it away. Headline “US Government Spying on All Americans”. If it wasn’t that I wanted to read about my glorious Black Hawks, I might well have.
    No matter how you feel about the appropriateness of the program, it is not spying or even close to it. I ahve to admit, although still leery of the program, having read more about it, I am not “outraged” at it anymore.

June 7, 2013 at 11:19 am

You are being quite kind to the media. :) I’m a lot more cynical -maybe that’s not such a good thing but I think they’ve earned my cynicism at this point! They are stupid as you say, but they are also vicious.

• 53 japa21
        June 7, 2013 at 11:52 am

Agreed, but I would rather attack them for being stupid, which everybody agrees with than sound like the GOP did for years, repesenting themselves as victims.

June 7, 2013 at 10:56 am

Hey TOD, did Greenwald support the Patriot Act under Bush?

• June 7, 2013 at 11:01 am

Not sure of that UT, but, of course, he reckoned about Bush/Cheney…..

I believed then that the president was entitled to have his national security judgment deferred to, and to the extent that I was able to develop a definitive view, I accepted his judgment that American security really would be enhanced by the invasion of this sovereign country.

• 56 utaustinliberal
        June 7, 2013 at 11:15 am

Thanks Chiparoo. I always chuckle when a Greenwald fan is shocked that the grifter supported the Iraq war and championed CATO. Their idol has feet of clay. :lol:

June 7, 2013 at 11:14 am

I don’t know whether he outright supported it, but he was obviously silent back then – which implies consent on some level. And based on what Chips posted, he trusted the judgment of his government (Bush &Co) at that time.

12. 58 Don
    June 7, 2013 at 10:58 am

Toss out every criminal case that was ever solved using surveillance.

13. June 7, 2013 at 11:00 am

Good Friday Morning Chipsticks, TODers…Everyone!

Everyone find something to smile about and start the weekend on a high note. :-D

14. 60 Ladyhawke
    June 7, 2013 at 11:00 am

The NSA’s ‘metadata’ surveillance is legal and necessary.

———————————————-

Someone leaked a classified three-page order from the special court established by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, or FISA, to Glenn Greenwald of the Guardian newspaper, who is a committed anti-antiterror partisan.
    The liberals who spent the Bush years warning about a knock on the door at least have the virtue of consistency, if not the Republicans who are now depicting the NSA program as some J. Edgar Hoover-Bill Moyers operation to target domestic enemies. Kentucky Senator Rand Paul has already introduced the Fourth Amendment Restoration Act of 2013. Yet surveillance is more critical than ever to stopping terror attacks now that Mr. Obama has all but abolished extended interrogation and military detention and invited Congress to limit drone strikes.

Amid many real abuses of power, the political temptation will be to tie data-mining into a narrative about a government out of control. Such opportunism can only weaken our counterterror defenses and endanger the country.

———————————————-

15. June 7, 2013 at 11:08 am

Morning TOD!

I hope everyone has a great day.

I was able to take a shower today. sitting down for the most but I got a shower instead of a “bath”. :)

• June 7, 2013 at 11:12 am

Wooooooooot!! GB, you’re making wonderful progress, a new step every day. Your updates are a joy!

• 64 mtmarilyn
      June 7, 2013 at 11:16 am

Good Morning TOD family and especially good morning, gobrooklyn. It is so great to read of your progress. I know how good those showers feel. My husband went thru 2 hip replacements last year. It was a very long year but he is doing great. I know with all love and prayers you are doing so great. Have a wonderful day.

• June 7, 2013 at 11:53 am

2 hip replacements? Oh man, I had a rod inserted. Did he feel like he was dragging extra weight? When I turn in bed or stand up, I feel extra heavy like I’m dragging something with me.

• 66 mtmarilyn
          June 7, 2013 at 12:37 pm

He is doing wonderful, no hip pain. He is having to learn to walk correctly again and to strengthen those cut muscles. His new hips are titanium(?), no extra weight. You do move differently. I can’t imagine a rod in your leg. Is it titanium(?). Just know your family here cares and prays for you.

June 7, 2013 at 11:16 am

This is wonderful news gobrooklyn! Thanks for updating us, and wishing you continued healing and progress :)

• 70 99ts
      June 7, 2013 at 11:23 am

Hi gobrooklyn – wonderful news – have another great healing day – you remind me of what is important in our world – friends and family and getting a little better every day

June 7, 2013 at 11:31 am

Progress! Keep moving Forward:) Good job,GB!

• June 7, 2013 at 11:35 am

Showers are the BEST!! PROGRESS, GoB, progress!!

• 73 jackiegrumbacher
      June 7, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Step by step you’re moving forward, GB. congratulations!

16. 75 Nena20409
    June 7, 2013 at 11:09 am

GM TODers ;)

Now this lying bishop is saying what? I am now officially laughing at the Mitt the Twit.

June 7, 2013 at 11:16 am

The only time Willard is not lying is when he’s sleeping.

• 77 Linda
      June 7, 2013 at 11:18 am

Why are they still interviewing the Lord and Lady of LaJollaShire ?

Ugh

• 78 Nena20409
        June 7, 2013 at 11:29 am

Linda, the press would cover any fool, chase any ginned up issue, than honestly report what mess the TBGOPers are creating in DC, than report on our economy getting better, than any positive news about Pres Obama.

• 79 Linda
      June 7, 2013 at 11:20 am

one more thing.

Did they ask him about that new shell company created under Ann’s name to purchase the new residence in Utah ?

of course not.!

• 80 99ts
      June 7, 2013 at 11:28 am

My goodness – “It gave the President a chance to be out showing sympathy to folks” – PBO is ALWAYS sympathizing with people – not to mention helping them, talking with them, understanding them & loving them back.

Romney – has no idea how to “sympathize”. He could have been out there helping with Sandy – visiting – giving up a few of his millions – but the ONLY thing he knows is putting cans of food into a foodbank. What a tool – and they call him a Bishop. He’s like no Bishop I ever met.

• 81 99ts
        June 7, 2013 at 11:31 am

And I should have mentioned – no doubt the people who were impacted by hurricane Sandy wish it hadn’t happened – but not for the reasons Mitt talks about.

17. 82 Don
    June 7, 2013 at 11:17 am

It says right there on the goddamn building F.B.I. or C.I.A. or NSA.

18. 83 Vicki
    June 7, 2013 at 11:18 am

Great R & S, Chips. Thank you .
    Noam Scheiber’s piece above gets it exactly right in my view. GOP/MSM/TP/PL are desperate, Desperate, I tell you, to slow down the fast–approaching train of Obamacare, but absolutely impotent, powerless, out of ammo unable to do anything.

Impotent rage is also boiling behind the unstoppable appointment of Susan Rice.

The opposition does not know what to do. All they have left is mud.

And pretty soon, October, 2013 folks will be signing up for the ACA. In Jauary, 2014 30 Million previously uninsured Americans will have health care they can count on.

This is what matters.

Love and trust PBO.

June 7, 2013 at 11:18 am

June 7, 2013 at 11:20 am

Greenwald picked the wrong person to mess with. Nancy Pelosi’s daughter does not play!

This is the rape joke Glenn Greenwald made. He also accused Obama supporters of loving Nazism. This is the monster who’s being hero worshipped.

June 7, 2013 at 11:21 am

June 7, 2013 at 11:22 am

23. June 7, 2013 at 11:23 am

June 7, 2013 at 11:23 am

June 7, 2013 at 11:24 am

26. 94 57andfemale
    June 7, 2013 at 11:25 am

Romney said WHAT?!?!

“I wish the hurricane hadn’t happened when it did because it gave the President a chance to be presidential, be out showing sympathy for folks. That’s one of the advantages of incumbency,” Romney said. “But you know, you don’t look back and worry about each little thing and how could that have been different. You look forward.”

Too bad the hurricane didn’t wait until after election, in Romney’s tiny little heart and mind. That would have made all the difference and we would have been stuck with this a**hole.

• June 7, 2013 at 11:36 am

He’s still in denial. Now it’s the hurricane’s fault he lost. Just the other day it was the Latino community’s inability to understand his message. What next his car elevator got stuck between floors? I hope he stays this visible all the way up to election night 2014.

• 96 57andfemale
        June 7, 2013 at 1:47 pm

It’s as if he’s pro-hurricane if a Republican President can play at being sympathetic to folks, or something. He was just pissed PBO got the ‘credit’. This man is a sociopath.

• June 7, 2013 at 11:36 am

Never mind the people suffering in the wake of Sandy. ME ME ME ME ME.

• 98 Don
      June 7, 2013 at 11:36 am

When is it a good time for a hurricane to happen, Mr. Romney?

June 7, 2013 at 11:43 am

What a heart Mitt? What a heart. How about wishing the hurricane didn’t occur because of the lives which were lost, or the damage it done to people and their property. No he is more concern cause in his mind it is the reason he lost. OMG.

• 102 57andfemale
      June 7, 2013 at 1:54 pm

And wasn’t it Romney who took off and was MIA when there was some disaster in MA?

What the eff is the matter with these sociopaths?

• 103 nathkatun7
      June 7, 2013 at 3:59 pm

So now hurricane sandy was another Obamabot?

• 104 57andfemale
        June 7, 2013 at 4:35 pm

He is a sociopath. He wasn’t sorry the hurricane happened, just that it was inconsiderate enough to help PBO and not help him. Can you imagine that man speaking in diplomatic circles? I shudder to think…..

27. 105 debz
    June 7, 2013 at 11:26 am

Good morning all. I love West Wing Week, we get to see all of the work the President and VP are doing, something the media will never report.

June 7, 2013 at 11:28 am

What are they waiting for? Are they still waiting for Romney to win? For Ohio to turn the election around? Still hoping to help the GOP (with their sequester and other blocking shenanigans) crash the economy?

29. 107 Ladyhawke
    June 7, 2013 at 11:29 am

NEVER MIND ……

What Did Tech Companies Know About the NSA and When Did they Know It?

————————————————————

The technology giants that were implicated in the NSA/data mining bombshell have so vigorously denied any acknowledgment of the program that The Washington Post has had to quietly pull back its claim that the major firms were complicit in the snooping. In the original version of the Post story that went up on Thursday, the paper claimed that nine companies mentioned by name in the report “participate knowingly” in the widespread collection of data from their servers.
    Finally, the Post was not the only paper to get caught changing their tune on the NSA story as it’s been unfolding so quickly. The New York Times also rolled back their scathing editorial that attacked president’s information “dragnet.” (And that was originally written even before the Internet component was made known.)

After grabbing everyone’s attention with their assertion that “The administration has now lost all credibility,” the paper later went back and amended this key pullquote to add “on this issue.”

—————————————————————–

30. June 7, 2013 at 11:29 am

I guess the GOP and the MSM have come to the realization that the tactics they have used in the past to undermine PBO’s presidency aren’t working. So the renewed tactic is to try to tarnish the President by playing on America’s fascination with scandal, misfortune and – sadly – tragedy. [I say renewed because they tried the scandal route during the 2008 campaign and it didn’t work then either.] Now we are being bombarded with daily episodes of “As DC Spins” or “The Edge of Lunacy”. Sometimes the storyline changes in mid-episode. Many times the storyline fizzles out before it has a chance to take off. Sometimes they try to reprise a storyline (e.g., Benghazi). They are spinning so much they are making themselves dizzy.

• 109 Nena20409
      June 7, 2013 at 11:40 am

The American National Media is On A Mission: To undermine, discredit and continue their dehumanization of pres Barack Obama. Then they run out and do a Poll, seeking to confirm their narrative. When failed, instead of calling quits and burying their heads in the sand, they dig deeper and double down…..their megaphone gets louder and they foam in their respective mouths and the lies, distortions, propaganda tactics all get amplified.

They did that with Clinton. They failed. They have unbashed hatred built-in this time around. It will Fail as well.

31. 111 yardarm756
    June 7, 2013 at 11:33 am

G’day mates. This thread is spending too much time on “Roach waste” IMHO.

32. 118 proudofobama
    June 7, 2013 at 11:39 am

Good Friday morning, Chips and TOD family. Love VP Biden and Dr. Jill being featured in West Wing Week. What a dynamic duo we have in POTUS and VPOTUS. Thanks Chips for tweeting all that info on that FRAUD Greenwald. What a liar he is. I didn’t watch Lawrence last night because there was no way I wanted that liar on my tee vee. MSNBC has truly gone to the dogs.

Here’s hoping PBO has a terrific time in Cali and raises lots of money.

33. 119 Bill
    June 7, 2013 at 11:40 am

Rafa leads in fifth set 7-6

June 7, 2013 at 11:47 am

I thought I would set our friend Booman straight on a few things:

35. 122 Bill
    June 7, 2013 at 11:52 am

Rafa wins in five sets.

June 7, 2013 at 11:53 am

This would be SO COOL!! Wonder if they could understand me back?:) I need to get a few issues off my chest!

37. 127 Ladyhawke
    June 7, 2013 at 11:57 am

joshuafoust ‏@joshuafoust 44m

———————————-

Until Obama invades Iraq, renditions & tortures people, and works *without* a warrant, let’s cool down the comparisons to George W. Bush.

Retweeted by LOLGOP

—————————————

June 7, 2013 at 11:57 am

I’m claiming first for the next thread because it appears that as soon as I leave to do something, a new thread is started and people leaning on the door get to say that they are first and are given 1st-place prizes that are rightfully mine. I’m not having any more of this. I’m outraged!!!!!

• 129 Don
      June 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I join your outraged? I’m not going to call any names but the only person that seems to always be first, that person name rhymes with muti-lost-in-jiberal.

39. 130 Nena20409
    June 7, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Question on Eavesdroppings?

40. 132 Nena20409
    June 7, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Telephone calls, Nobody is listening to YOUR telephone calls. No names and No content. Metadata…..looking for potential terrorists. Clear….hype……Nobody is listening to the content…..overseen by FISA and Congress…..Not abusing and consistent with the Constitution and the Rule of law………

Internet….Not applicable to US Citizens, and Congress and FISA are involved. Safeguards are involved…and audit process….

Made speech a couple of weeks ago…..Need to keep people safe and security….welcomes the debate…..maturity….Lefties and righties now worried about when there isn’t a TBGOPer POTUS. Came in with skepticism.

That is the call I have been looking for….explain to Americans….what are being done….for Most Americans Do indeed trust this POTUS.

41. 133 Linda
    June 7, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Mississippi lawmakers have embarked on a controversial campaign to discourage older men from having sex with teenagers.

Starting in July, doctors and midwives in the state will be required by law to collect samples of umbilical cord blood from babies born to some girls under the age of 16. Officials will analyze the samples and try to identify the fathers through matches in the state’s DNA database.

“It is our hope that we can deter men over the age of 21 from having sex, particularly with girls 16 years and younger, particularly if they know we are going to pursue them,” said , the state’s Democratic attorney general who helped draft the bill.

Officials said Mississippi is the first state in the country to try the approach.

• 134 japa21
      June 7, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Gosh, sounds worse than NSA program.

• 135 57andfemale
      June 7, 2013 at 1:52 pm

but….but…..FREEDOM. Freedom for gun mfrs to be exempt from any liability suits or even consumer protection. But let’s gleefully examine the umbilical cord blood of babies by government fiat.

This country has gone effing insane.

42. 136 Nena20409
    June 7, 2013 at 12:25 pm

The POTUS Doesn’t welcome LEAKS. There is a reason these programs are classified…..Yes….lay it down and please sir, shame these bastards that are spreading these Leaks. It is still a representative Democratic Republic…..empowered to do so…..Exactly…..Thank You, Mr. president…..knocking the air out of these saboteurs.

• 137 Ladyhawke
      June 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Well, that’s our guy. The only adult in the room doing what he does best – schooling the jackals. The responses to those two questions was a thing of beauty. It was like a mini Government 101 tutorial for the lazy media stenographers. Nicely done Mr. President.

• 138 57andfemale
      June 7, 2013 at 1:58 pm

And thanks to this traitor whose only purpose was to help GG hurt PBO, every effing terrorist now knows how we do this, weakening our chances to find a terrorist in the future. Thanks, GG. And all you bed-wetting ‘liberals’ who would whine bloody murder if you were threatened.

I’m sick of it.

June 7, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Truly the ONLY ADULT IN THE ROOM

June 7, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Thank you.

45. June 7, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Shorter POTUS: Shut the fuck up GG. You prancing fool. Nobody wants to listen to your piddly phonecalls in Brazil or wherever you are panhandling

46. 142 Bill
    June 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Senator Merkley (D-OR) follows PBO on teevee by saying the president has not listened to Congress and has not followed the law.

• 143 Don
      June 7, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Yep, this guy is lost, I’m not surprised he was left out of the loop.

• 144 Lovepolitics2008
      June 7, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Wow. What the ??? I would like Senator Merkley to give details to this accusation.

Barack Obama is the first president I truly trust. I believe that if something fishy is joing on, it’s behind his back. I repeat what I’ve said in a previous thread: I wonder if the NSA ( and the CIA) are completely open with the President about what they’re doing. These are very old institutions with entrenched cultures of secrecy.

• 145 57andfemale
      June 7, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Do you remember the last time a Republican ran to the microphone to castigate one of their own, particularly their President?

I don’t either.

• 146 nathkatun7
      June 7, 2013 at 4:17 pm

The next time Sen. Merkley sends me an e-mail soliciting money, as he has been doing repeatedly, I will give him my middle finger! I am also writing the DSCC to let them know how pissed I am by Democratic Senators who undermining the President.

47. June 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm

48. 148 sabreen60
    June 7, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Shoot! I missed PBO’s speech. Ms. Chips, I hope you can put it up later!