Jun

Rise and Shine

Two years ago today, one of Pete Souza’s very great photos: “The President had attended the fourth grade closing ceremony for his daughter Sasha at her school in Bethesda, Md. As he was departing, he noticed some pre-school children peering out of a window at a child care facility adjacent to Sasha’s school so he walked over to say hello to them.”

If the Greenwald Groupies were putting a caption on the pic, it would most probably read:

‘OMG™! Illegal surveillance!’.

President Obama talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the Annenberg Retreat at Sunnylands, June 8

Today:

PDT

10:25 AM: President Obama departs Palm Springs, CA

EDT

5:55: Arrives The White House

ZDNet: The real story in the NSA scandal is the collapse of journalism

Summary: A bombshell story published in the Washington Post this week alleged that the NSA had enlisted nine tech giants, including Microsoft, Google, Facebook, and Apple, in a massive program of online spying. Now the story is unraveling, and the Post has quietly changed key details. What went wrong?

More here

I missed most of the news and developments yesterday, so flicked through the Twitter machine this morning to read what people were saying. And I see the Greenwald Groupies, urged on by their Dear Leader (and his personal fundraising campaign), now fear that Koch Boy will be taken out by evil Obama.

No, really.

Their fears were heightened when The Atlantic’s Steve Clemons tweeted this (and, needless to say, it was breathlessly retweeted by Greenwald):

“OMG™!!!!!!!!” was the gist of the Groupies’ reponse.

But Clemons then admitted he couldn’t actually identify the four people, and only had poor quality pics and audio (yes, he secretly recorded them, possibly illegally so, depending on that state’s laws – oh, the irony) so, not unreasonably, @BoloBoffin asked: “If you can’t identify them, how do you know they are US intel officials?”

Or, at the very least, wait until he could confirm they were intel officials before tweeting what he did? You know, journalism.

Soon after, Clemons began watering down his original tweet:

In other words, he had no clue who these people were – but his original tweet did the trick, it was RTed almost 1,000 times, got him lots of attention and earned him the love of Koch Boy and his sheeple.

If they were intel officials, did Clemons not consider the possibility that they might also be dufuses loudly talking macho crap in an airport lounge because they’re pissed off by Koch Boy’s attempts to damage intelligence gathering efforts on terrorist suspects? Or does he think they were loudly discussing in an airport lounge an actual plan to, um, ‘disappear’ Koch Boy?

Yep, this is where the Groupies are at.

Which takes us to….

I have as much respect for Alan ‘torture rocks’ Dershowitz as I do for Rush Limbaugh, but even he got it right about Greenwald and frauds like him:

Mediaite: “We’re hearing lot of lies about what’s going on – a lot of lies. We heard lies from Greenwald … These are serious issues that ought to be debated, but they should not be overstated. There is a paranoid streak in American life. Radio talk show hosts tend to foment [it] … people like Greenwald tend to foment [it].”

Little Green Footballs made a similar point:

“On one hand we have Glenn Greenwald claiming that the United States is “building an enormous structure” with the specific goal of destroying all privacy and anonymity in the entire world …. and on the other hand we have Glenn Beck claiming that the United States is becoming a “totalitarian state” that “will be remembered as the most evil nation in the history of the world,” dwarfing the Third Reich. And I’m sure he feels this isn’t hyperbole either.

Apart from their political orientations, what’s the essential difference between these two extreme opinions? (Full post here)

There are plenty of serious people out there debating this issue, like Charles Pierce (who’s severely pissed off with PBO), but their motives cannot be doubted, they’re genuinely passionate about the issue, always have been, and have genuine concerns. You now, people who never once suggested that Bush/Cheney were “entitled” to have their national security judgment “deferred to”

Greenwald and Co? Is anyone in the MSM going to start questioning Koch Boy’s agenda, or, most importantly, the veracity of his reporting? Or question the depth of his personal hatred for this President – which he revealed even before he was elected? Or the timing of his request for personal donations from Guardian readers just as he began sharing his ‘error’-jammed reports on the issue, firing up Beck-like paranoia levels so that his sheeple would rush straight to PayPal (cough) in the belief that only Koch Boy can save them from Big Brother?

We won’t hold our breath.

What would be lovely, though, is if, when he does the rounds of TV shows, someone asked him about this – and it can never be posted enough:

A Groupie insisted the other day that Greenwald has ‘evolved’ since then, that he was only young when he wrote it.

He obviously missed the last line in the graphic.

Angry Black Lady made the point a while ago, can you imagine the response of Greenwald and the Groupies if an “Obama cultist” wrote:

“President Obama is entitled to have his national security judgment deferred to.”

I also see both Michael Moore (you know, the ideologically pure guy – see here and here) and Koch Boy are lovingly recommending their new best friend Maureen Dowd’s latest screed, entitled ‘Peeping Barry’. Yes, the headline refers to the President as ‘Peeping Barry’.

It’s particularly amusing to see Moore and Dowd as bedfellows, Greenwald less so – his political ‘leanings’ have always been the same as hers.

So, they couldn’t beat him in 2008, they couldn’t beat him in 2012, but on their efforts to delegitimize the President go.

Because that’s what it’s all about for these people.

I told UT yesterday I had to go out for a few hours and asked would she be able to post a Chat Away or two if things got busy. When did I get back? I didn’t. :???:

So, UT was left to update all day and night, apart from Zizi’s wonderful contribution.

UT? We’d be lost without you – especially me. Thank you so, so, so, so much.

Yet again, I’m waaaaaay behind with emails and DMs – will catch up soon-ish.

LP has a lovely Week in Review lined up, will post later.

149 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 5 africa
    June 9, 2013 at 10:04 am

Morning all.

2. June 9, 2013 at 10:04 am

Good morning Ms. Chips and TOD family. I hope everyone have a blessed day today. Thank God that President Obama is still The President of The United States of America.

3. 7 debz
    June 9, 2013 at 10:05 am

Good morning. I love that photo of the kids, soooo cute. On the other hand, I am really disappointed in Steve Clemons. I always thought he sensible as well as intelligent, I never realized he was a Greenwald fanboy!

4. June 9, 2013 at 10:07 am

Good Sunday Morning Chipsticks, TODers…Everyone!

Hope everyone has an awesome day!

5. 9 africa
    June 9, 2013 at 10:12 am

New York Times and Washington Post Poster Boy

June 9, 2013 at 10:15 am

Holy smokes Chiparoo when you deliver, you REALLY deliver. Fantastic Rise and Shine. Bravo! Information is power.

As for your request to help you out since you were backed up with stuff, it was my pleasure.

Anytime my friend. Anytime. :D

• June 9, 2013 at 10:21 am

Really can’t thank you enough for yesterday UT, I was out hours longer than I expected and was only ready for sleep when I got back. You put in so much work to the posts to keep things going, you’re a complete and total treasure!

June 9, 2013 at 10:16 am
  8. 13 jackiegrumbacher
    June 9, 2013 at 10:17 am

Well, I’m glad to see a few chickens coming home to roost on the NSA nonsense, but I want an apology from the NYT and WaPo for their rush to judgment and their eagerness to put national security at risk. Also I think that this whole incident gives us the message we need to deliver in our outreach to voters, i.e. disregard every ‘scandal’ you hear about until it’s been verified beyond a shadow of a doubt. People need to see every one of these events through the lens of skepticism and as just another of the ceaseless efforts to discredit the president and discourage Dems. If a Republican tries to push any one of these faux scandals, laugh in his/her face and ask when the Republican led House is going to focus on jobs and infrastructure and when Senate Repubs are going to stop blocking background checks on guns. The guy with a gun at the mall is a millions times more of a threat to any of us than any govt. surveillance.

I’m off to spend two days babysitting our beautiful baby granddaughter. Have a great day everyone!

9. 16 HZ
    June 9, 2013 at 10:17 am

Good Morning Chips and TOD Family. I hope that this day will bring joyfulness to the hearts of my TOD Family. Everyone have a beautiful Sun., and do not forget to enjoy your space that you create for your life on this journey with our brilliant and wonderful President. HZ

10. June 9, 2013 at 10:27 am

GM Chips, TOD…

11. 18 mtmarilyn
    June 9, 2013 at 10:28 am

Good morning TOD family and Chips. It has been interesting watching all this happening. I am very disappointed in many so called left journalists. These Obama haters are really coming unhinged. I too am disappointed in Clemons. How can you tell someone works in Intel just by looking.

It’s a beautiful day in MT. My husband has been fly fishing almost everyday last week. I love the summer in MT. I am working outside today. Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Prayers for our President’s safe trip home.

12. June 9, 2013 at 10:28 am

Morning Everyone!!!

I’m being tortured this morning. I got moved AGAIN to another room and so I have a new roommate. Instead of being treated to the smell of poop, I now have to endure the smell of Spanish food. I’m dying (okay, drooling) over here! Her cousin brought her food from outside. He’s local. My family/friends aren’t. Waah.

I think I have a couple of visits lined up this coming week. I’ll show her. Hmmmph.

13. 34 Vicki
    June 9, 2013 at 10:28 am

The Peeping Barry headline that greeted me in my NYTimes this morning offended me deeply. I’m not sure how much longer I can justify paying for my home delivery ($155.00 for 3 months!) when I hate so much of what they print. The entire editorial page is corporate today—-Maureen Dowd, Thomas Friedman and Ross Douthout. None of them have anything to say that I am interested in reading.
    The morning Times with my coffee is a longstanding addiction and like so many addictions it won’t end it easily.

June 9, 2013 at 10:33 am

“Peeping Barry” is offensive on so many levels.

• 36 africa
        June 9, 2013 at 10:44 am

Same disrespect we talk about. They are deaf and blind to their nonsense.

June 9, 2013 at 10:49 am

I don’t like that either hopefruit2.

June 9, 2013 at 10:58 am

My email to the NYT is on it’s way, and all I plan to say is I trust President Barack H. Obama a hell of alot more than I trust Maureen Dowd, Glen Greenwald, or the NYT.

• 39 COS
          June 9, 2013 at 11:03 am

Why didn’t she say “peeping congress” or “peeping government”? This is a very disrespectful headline.

• June 9, 2013 at 10:41 am

Vickie…don;t waste your money. I would cancel (even for a short time) and let them know WHY you are cancelling. When they feel it in their pocket, they will surely understand!

June 9, 2013 at 10:42 am

I couldn’t do it. My husband has an online subscription, and if you read here late last night, I gave a head’s up warning about Dowd and her nasty ass last night. Dudette saw it:) Maybe you can write her and let her have it…

• 43 itgurl_29
      June 9, 2013 at 11:02 am

The NY Times is garbage. You should cancel your subscription. Spend the money on something that’s good for you.

• June 9, 2013 at 11:20 am

On the 1st of January 2010 I dropped my subsription to “Trouw”, a national newspaper in the Netherlands; I was sooo fed up with their right-shift I couldn’t stand it anymore, despite the occasional inspirational article.

The context ? “Trouw” was one of the “illegals” in WWII – my grandfather and grandaunt worked in its distribution, which, by the end of the war was a capital offense (both survived) – it cost dozens of people their lives ….

14. 45 africa
    June 9, 2013 at 10:28 am
  15. 46 a4alice
    June 9, 2013 at 10:33 am

woo-hoo Chips a happy Sunday to you. Awesome post and thanks to UT for all her posting skills yesterday and ZiZi – that was huge. Gotta go back and look at your post again :-)

16. 47 cookemom
    June 9, 2013 at 10:41 am

Hidee ho all you O’s!!!! It’s an extra special great getting up day for me in TODville today!! It’s my reverse 46th year on this planet and to celebrate, I got tangled up in some poison ivy or oak or whatever makes one itch through the night. There went my early morning birthday 3 mile run to beat my personal best record.

This happened once before when I cleared brush from the lower forty. I just know it’s the weeds seeking revenge for my constantly yanking on them.

June 9, 2013 at 10:48 am

If the “reverse 46th year” (Ha! Why didn’t I think of that?) thingie meant today is really your birthday, Happy Birthday, cookemom!

• 56 MightyPamela
      June 9, 2013 at 10:51 am

Happy birthday, CM! what you need is a soothing and comforting cake! Hope our Chipsticks can find a couple minutes to chip up a little sumpting! ;)

• 57 Roberta in MN
      June 9, 2013 at 11:08 am

Take care cookemom. That stuff is icky. I’ve been dealing with a rash on my face and the stuff just is not going away. I have a perscription for prednisone but just hate to take steroids, but I may have to if the stuff doesn’t go away. :-(

• June 9, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Happy Birthday Cookemom! :)

June 9, 2013 at 10:43 am

Thank you, Chips:) This pic never fails to put a big ole smile on my face….has to be one of my very favorites:)

18. 60 Linda
    June 9, 2013 at 10:45 am

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said Sunday that he is weighing a Supreme Court challenge to the National Security Agency’s controversial surveillance programs, calling the organization’s collection of records an “extraordinary invasion of privacy.”

“I’m going to be seeing if I can challenge this at the Supreme Court level,” Paul said on Fox News Sunday. “I’m going to be asking all the internet providers and all of the phone companies: Ask your customers to join me in a class action lawsuit. If we get 10 million Americans saying we don’t want our phone records looked at, then maybe someone will wake up and something will change in Washington.”

Fox News Sunday .

Good Grief….this man is stupid……

June 9, 2013 at 10:53 am

Linda, you are better than I am, because I don’t, won’t, have no plans of watching anything on Fox so call News.

• 64 MightyPamela
      June 9, 2013 at 10:54 am

Oh, Rand, please go away.

• June 9, 2013 at 11:32 am

Not stupid. Playing it smart actually. By voting against the extension and reauthorization which to be fair he did twice, Paul gets to position himself as some kind of champion of civil liberties. I’m guessing he pretty much knows he’s not going to get 10 million signatures for a class action lawsuit but it makes him look good in the eyes of the rubes on both sides of the aisle.

19. June 9, 2013 at 10:45 am

It only took 5 years for some enterprising reporter to figure this out…..the quotes are priceless.

• 67 Ladyhawke
      June 9, 2013 at 10:54 am

Seriously, I expect Senator John McCain to fill in for David Gregory of ‘Meet The Republicans’ when he takes vacation.

20. 69 HZ
    June 9, 2013 at 10:46 am

Gobrooklyn, ((((((((((((( Sunday Morning Loving Healing Hugs to you)))))))))))))))) Know that we are all pulling for you to have a beautiful recovery. You are an inspiration to me personally. Be good to your spirit today. Prayers are going forth from my heart to your healing expectations for strength. ((( Love you, gobrooklyn.)))HZ

21. 70 cluny
    June 9, 2013 at 10:47 am

Okay this is what’s hilarious – GG can defend changing his mind on defending Bush/Cheney but PBO isn’t allowed to deviate one inch from everything he said in 2007. These people are crazy – I agree with many that it’s a serious issue and needs to be discussed (which PBO began doing in his talk on ‘the war on terror’ recently) but please, stop all the hysteria. These people are making themselves ridiculous. I remember how Hillary and Bill Clinton imploded during the primary, then McCain and then Romney. Now the media are reacting in a similar way to PBO’s former political opponents – reckless, rushing in and saying dumb things, not checking before they speak. I remember thinking back in 2008 how great PBO was in driving his opponents to self destruct. The media doesn’t realise it now but a lot of people are going to end up looking ridiculous. I notice that Jonathan Karl has been very quiet of late …

22. June 9, 2013 at 10:48 am

If I were a professional tennis player I would never go to the French……the security is beyond pathetic. Rafa was about to win the 2nd set, up 5-1, and two hooligans with road flares and smoke bombs threw stuff onto the court…and then ran on the court. Ridiculous…and it’s raining on clay.

June 9, 2013 at 10:51 am

I miss Jon Favreau being in the Obama white house because he’s a fantastic speech writer but hot damn! I love him being unleashed on Twitter. He does not stand for BS about the Obama Admin. or the media using opinion as fact. He is destroying Politico and the like; and they’re so mad at him. :lol:

• 75 carolyn
      June 9, 2013 at 10:57 am

ut…..for those of us who don’t tweet, could you bring a couple of examples here? Thanks

• 76 cluny
      June 9, 2013 at 11:09 am

yeah – all those guys are great – JF, Tommy Vietor, Plouffe, Axelrod, Gibbs. I wish Reggie Love tweeted.

24. June 9, 2013 at 10:52 am

Good morning.

Not for nothing, but Man, when can the Hilary Clinton presidency begin? I’m planning on trolling the emo-faux-gressive blogs hard when it starts. Now I just gotta decide what to call em, since I’m always called naive lil Obot. Clintonista is so 90s, and PUMA is soo 2008. Hmmm, maybe Hillary-bots or Hill-bots?

IDK what im gonna do if HRC doesnt win.

• 78 Bill
      June 9, 2013 at 11:06 am

If Hillary runs and wins I am not certain she has the temperament and ability to deal with what PBO must. She did not run a good 2008 campaign, and she never set the agenda as SOS.

• 79 Don
      June 9, 2013 at 11:16 am

Lamh, I don’t even think Hillary will make it out of the primary. Bill or one of the Clinton’s mouthpieces will she some shit so disrespectful about President Obama that Hilary will be lucky to get elected dog catcher.

• 81 nospin
      June 9, 2013 at 2:49 pm

when can the Hilary Clinton presidency begin?

in the year 2000Never

June 9, 2013 at 10:54 am
    June 9, 2013 at 11:03 am

Carolyn wanted some tweets from Jon Favreau. Here you go.

June 9, 2013 at 11:05 am
      June 9, 2013 at 11:09 am

I am so very happy to see Jon “on the outside.” He can speak freely and with close-up-and-personal knowledge of our wonderful President, and take down the lesser beings with force. Love him. Thanks for bringing these here, UT!

June 9, 2013 at 11:10 am

Jon Favreau is a master – and now that he’s not constrained as part of the administration, he’s free to challenge these morons as he pleases.

• 88 cluny
      June 9, 2013 at 11:13 am

thanks UT. JF is killing him.

• 89 debz
      June 9, 2013 at 11:38 am

Interesting that Glenn Thrush thinks this GG created “scandal” is what “the American People” think is the most important issue. As on of “the American People” I would say jobs, immigration reform, gun control is more important.

June 9, 2013 at 11:08 am

So much THIS.

June 9, 2013 at 11:11 am
  30. 97 carolyn
    June 9, 2013 at 11:11 am

Thanks ut. Favreau has a way of cutting right through the brush, doesn’t he.

June 9, 2013 at 11:15 am

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper declassified details about the PRISM program. Read it here. It explains a lot. Information is power.

June 9, 2013 at 11:20 am
  33. 100 cluny
    June 9, 2013 at 11:23 am

A question to all re ‘Peeping Barry’ title. I hope i do not offend anybody but can someone please explain the racism in that title – I think she is making a play on the title of the film ‘Peeping Tom’ – which is about spying. I hate her article but I don’t think the title is other than a dumb and lazy play on the film title.

• 101 mtmarilyn
      June 9, 2013 at 11:26 am

Don’t you know they call him Barry to disrespect. No other President has been so disrepected with words in our print media like this President. Right now I think us in the social media are the only ones who respect this President. This all is making me sick.

June 9, 2013 at 11:35 am

Historically, and in the days of Jim Crow, African-American men were referred to as “boy” by the white supremacists as a racist way of emasculating them. PBO as a child, was nicknamed Barry, the diminutive form of Barack. When he became an adult, he explicitly abandoned his boyhood nickname, and stated that he wanted to be called “Barack” and would no longer be referred to as “Barry.”

Since he became President, his detractors have used the term “Barry” as an insult, not as a term of endearment or familiarity. It is also a subtly racist code for “boy” when applied in this context. As used in the NY Times, the term “Barry” combined with the term “peeping” which also has the connotation of a sexual pervert, is highly offensive because it conjures the racist stereotype of a sexually deviant Black male. It is a racial dogwhistle, in other words, meaning that certain people will know and understand the implications, while others (e.g., in your case) won’t.

• 105 itgurl_29
      June 9, 2013 at 11:37 am

“Peeping Barry” is supposed to be a play on “peeping Tom”, which is a phrase most people associate with a horny guy spying on a woman getting naked. This plays into the racist stereotype of black men as sexual deviants.

June 9, 2013 at 11:40 am

cluny I will also add that when the NY Times released this story of NSA surveillance in 2005 (once GWB was safely re-elected), there was no mass media outrage, nor were there any personal terms equivalent to “peeping Barry” directed at GWB. And GWB’s surveillance was worse- he did it without warrants.

You might want to make a note of that as well. NY Times gave the white President some modicum of respect (at a minimum). I’m not even talking about all the lying they did on his behalf..

34. 110 cookemom
    June 9, 2013 at 11:24 am

Off I go, poison ivy and all, to a rib fest on the north side of Chicago. I’ll look pretty strange walking around slathered all over in Calamine lotion and barbeque sauce. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

I really thought that GG would not still be center stage by now. He’s getting way more attention than he deserves. The only serious issue about the NSA thing is that leaks are happening by folks with security clearances. Imo, that’s the only outrage and we should wait until the investigations play out.

To me, there is no right or wrong about how people feel on whether the government or NSA does what it does domestically. If some are uncomfortable about it, well that’s fine. Others who could care less, are also OK. I have no problem with a national discussion around it. It may very well be necessary. Too bad the MSM can’t do that without manufacturing handwringing and poutrage around it. The leaks are the issue, not some pseudo journalist who’s getting more hits, and clicks than the Kardashians.

I think that there may be infringements, but I also happen to know that it is keeping me safe and I choose that option gladly. Maybe there can be some adjustments to what falls under the NSA/FISA parameters. Who knows.

I’m way more upset about legal warrant-less searches, DNA mining without consent, forced blood sampling, street cameras, and other invasions of privacy that impacts on a more personal level.

June 9, 2013 at 11:26 am
  36. 115 Don
    June 9, 2013 at 11:34 am

I know that the C.I.A. is not supposed to do work inside of America’s boarders, but am I so naïve to think that those lines don’t get blurred from time to time? Hell no, national security is a dirty business, protecting America is a dirty business. I’m sure President Obama has ordered the killing of many people on and off the battlefield in the name of safeguarding you and I and I can live with that. Am I even remotely interested in something called “Prism” or whatever it is that the NSA does to protect you and I? no, not really, as I sit in front of my computer reading and listening to the radio in the background I know that there is blood being spilled all over the world in America’s name.

37. June 9, 2013 at 11:38 am

Now let’s see if we can get something positive out of the meeting between President Xi and President Obama :-)

[ instead of wallowing in the mire about phony records .... ]

Many on this blog are at least as old as I am – so we are used to think of the world, politically and militarily, as TWO opposing BLOCKS.

After all, that’s why we have the NORTH ATLANTIC TREATY ORGANIZATION, lest anyone forgets that the nations left and right of the Atlantic Ocean have to protect each other from the Ruskies, the Huns and the Mongols from the East.

With that background, go and listen to the press conference and the dinner entree again. What’s it about: The USA and China are the two largest economies in the world, and they better be cooperating economically and on the environmental issues that arise from economic development; develop common military experience, etc. As President Xi said: There are two great nations on both shores of the PACIFIC that have common interests.

Another way to look at that paradigmic shift:

• 117 a4alice
      June 9, 2013 at 11:46 am

awesome! RT’d

• 118 carolyn
        June 9, 2013 at 11:52 am

And that explains a lot why there is so much uproar over what’s happening now. The white male establishment, which considers itself the only legitimate rulers, is being challenged, and doesn’t know how to handle it. They need to realize that the majority of people in the world are not of white Northern European extraction…….I’m of white Northern European extraction and realize this and accept it, and know it’s fine. I’m frankly not too impressed with the way white Northern European males have governed the world the last 800 years…..wars upon wars upon wars, etc. These guys need to realize that we are all of one race, the human race. Color does not determine what’s inside our hearts and brains.

• 119 amk for obama
          June 9, 2013 at 12:01 pm

well said, carolyn. It’s the few at the top and a few at the bottom who can’t handle the reality.

June 9, 2013 at 12:50 pm

T. Moene, Who is that woman?

June 9, 2013 at 11:40 am

rafa beats ferrer 6-3 6-2 6-3. No contest.

• 122 Nena20409
      June 9, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I watched every freaking minute…..including the French despicable, pathetic security. Holy smokes, Seles was stabbed at a French Open over 10 yrs ago. Has the French Not learn anything? I was besides myself for Rafa and the Ball people.

39. 123 Linda
    June 9, 2013 at 11:42 am

Udate on Rand Paul’s call for a Class Action Lawsuit to telecoms.

oops

The Supreme Court outlawed that in 2011. He is as dumb as Sarah who when asked about a Supreme Court case in her Couric interview she could not remember one….yet the Court had ruled on the Exxon Valez case just 5 months prior.

40. 126 Don
    June 9, 2013 at 11:42 am

Why does President Obama have to be the President to declassify the workings of our spy network? The C.I.A. and the NSA just didn’t come into being in 2008. Why wasn’t any President before President Obama asked to declassify the working of our spy networks?

41. 131 Don
    June 9, 2013 at 11:45 am

To tell you the truth before President Obama got elected I didn’t even know about “Libertarians” or about their platform, same as with the “Tea Party.” I mean really, who knew that these two groups had so much to say?

June 9, 2013 at 11:48 am

They were too busy enjoying their Bush tax cuts while ignoring all the stuff that was going on….

• 133 Nena20409
      June 9, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Libertarians and Liberals spoke up….the media ignored them and the GOPers used their mega media echo chamber to drown out those who objected. Ron Paul’s gain in notoriety was because of his outspokenness.

42. 134 a4alice

June 9, 2013 at 11:59 am
  48. 143 criquet
    June 9, 2013 at 11:59 am

Morning all.

49. 145 cluny
    June 9, 2013 at 12:02 pm

The media’s pathetic weapon seems to be insisting on saying/writing things like ‘in 2007, then Senator Obama said ….” what I want to know is WHY PBO isn’t allowed to change his mind on anything. Tweety and Maureen Dowd seem to change their minds every few weeks – ‘Clinton bad – now Clinton good’, blah, blah, blah. I’m sure Maureen’s had boyfriends who have changed their minds about her rather quickly!!

June 9, 2013 at 12:45 pm

In 2007 it wasn’t the job of Senator Obama to try to keep this Americans safe from terrorists attacks.

June 9, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Good point cluny. And changing one’s mind from Senator to President is far more justifiable than changing one’s mind based on a 24-hr news cycle.

50. 148 Tally
    June 9, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Hal Sparks was the sub-host for Stephanie Miller last Tuesday, and he pretty much shut Charles Pierce up about the NSA thing. It was a thing of beauty. I wish I could nutshell it, but it was just so detailed with facts of what the Intelligence community does, and all the things that matter about our undercover operatives all over the world, and how delicate their safety is, etc …. to the point Pierce had NOTHING TO SAY. He literally was silent after Hal laid down the BIG PICTURE for him.

I tried to find the snipet, but if anyone subscribes to her podcast, it’s from the June 4th show.