Jun

Confessions of an Obama-supportin’ Original Baby Boomer

by Jacquelineoboomer (@JOBoomr)

I’m confident some of my “political” involvement matches that of others, at least of my generation. (Okay, I don’t presume to say that it exactly matches, but, at the very least, it is representative.)

I started noticing national politics as a (part-Irish, Catholic) teenager in high school, when JFK came on the scene (even the nuns were happy) and I’d race home from school to watch his wonderful afternoon press conferences.

Being from the Northeast (where we and so many people in this vast country lived in a white, middle-class bubble), I also had the awful awakening in the ’60s to what for decades (outside of our bubble) had led up to the Civil Rights movement – and what was still going on, most specifically in the South, suddenly publicized on TV news programs – and suffered along with the nation when the best of the best leaders of “our time” were assassinated.

All of it cut me to the core, and left an impression on my heart that remains today.

After that, many baby boomers set out to “change the world,” which, we are just finding out, we didn’t.

I never felt connected to politics after the ’60s … so many of us were crushed by all of the events that had occurred, at least one of which (the shooting of Lee Harvey Oswald by Jack Ruby) we watched live on our black and white TVs.  I remember thinking our nation was lost. At the very least, my generation was experiencing what later might have been called varying levels of human rights post-traumatic stress disorder.

In the ’70s, as a young woman, I also paid close attention to the Women’s Rights movement, because I walked in the high heels of a woman in the workplace, and have fought the good fight from my perch (and as part of a career working as a civilian for the Navy) in my own way, throughout my life.  I did dream of seeing our first woman President, assuming she was going to be not just any woman, but the “right woman.”

But because I was “busy” in the ’70s making that career for myself and raising my son, I never mixed in with the anti-Vietnam War groups, never even paid that much attention, used to wonder why the TV broadcasters kept insisting on showing us “the war” on the evening news (shudders), something I am embarrassed about to this day — something that has caused me deep regret and pain in my heart — something I wish I could receive forgiveness for, but know I can’t.  Truly, even though I tried to be a good person, I was distracted by personal matters, and I deserve to continue to feel angst over that.
Sucked back in, a little, I later watched all of the hearings on Nixon’s Watergate and Reagan’s Iran-Contra — I cannot tell you how much I detested Reagan – and had previously fully supported Jimmy Carter as President and thought he got a raw deal, all around.

When Bush the first was elected, gag, I spent those four years saying, “La la la I can’t hear you,” in my mind.  The mute button on the remote was my constant companion.  If ya can’t beat ‘em, block out their voices, I thought, and wait for the next presidential election.

When Clinton came in, I re-entered the political fray, and stood by him all eight years — he was from my generation, a baby boomer, and at last a Democrat was back in the White House. When Newt started to concentrate all Congressional efforts on taking down Bubba from Arkansas, with the impeachment proceedings and even putting the government on furlough, I continued to back Bill and Hillary.

My support for Bill and Hillary ENDED in South Carolina during the 2008 campaign when Bubba spit out that even “Jesse Jackson won South Carolina” — not to mention how she acted like a crazy, entitled white woman during the whole campaign, actions I put aside only when she served admirably as Secretary of State but shall never forget — and I’ve never looked back on ditching those two.  If Hillary ever runs again, I will vote for her because of our mutual political party, not for her, per se; she’s still not the “right woman,” in my book.

Around that time, although I felt I was a mature woman who “had lived things,” I was devastated to find out that many, many Democrats in all parts of this country were prejudiced against the race of candidate Barack Obama. I don’t know what I was thinking, before that.

Turns out my new Democratic bubble (where I only hung around with like-minded, open-minded people, and had retired from jobs in the Northeast and Southeast within hugely diverse Navy workforces where respect for others existed and open prejudice wouldn’t have been officially allowed) had let me down, once again.

When Gore “lost” and Bush “won,” I remember screaming and crying that night, as I’m sure most of us did who were following politics then.

To say we all “suffered” through the eight awful Bush-Cheney years of terror is the grossest of understatement.  But at least none of us here today died through their hands, like the thousands of service members they more or less put to death by sending them into a mishandled war and an unjust war.  We’re still paying part of that price, as a country, even though most of us escaped with our lives.

During the early Bush years, I vividly recall watching FOX News – some of their evening lineup and daytime shows (Geraldo, O’Reilly, Hannity, et al.) — even CNBC, along with MSNBC and CNN — and felt I was getting the full perspective, like any mature, “thinking” Democrat would.  As the Bush years progressed, we all know how deeply divided the nation became, once again, and why.

Gotta tell ya I totally enjoyed people like Molly Ivins and Maureen Dowd and Bill Maher and Keith Olbermann and Jon Stewart then, and read all the Bushisms and stuff like that, because if anybody needed comic relief to maintain sanity, it was surely all of us during the Bush years.  In particular, I used to think Maureen had the word skills and bedevilment to masterfully take down W, and looked forward to reading her column each week.

Enter President Barack Obama.

For more than five decades that I’ve witnessed, there has never been such incivility in our politics. Although gazillions of us voted for him twice, and he is duly elected, and loved by gazillions of Americans and people abroad, the much smaller percentage of people in this country has lost its fucking collective mind.

The number-one reason is racism — even if it’s deeply buried and subconscious, it’s there — followed by many of the other “deadly sins” like greed and envy, and there are days when I do not know how we will survive all of this.  Thank you, Chips, for giving us shelter during this dark political rainstorm.

Because of the hatred for President Obama from the relatively few among the 300 million people in America, and I believe some of the haters could not articulate why they hate him (they don’t even get how the dastardly anthropological “other tribe” theory works; there’s no observant ego alive among ‘em), we have not only seen the death throes of an entire political party – formerly known as Republicans and/or conservatives, but there aren’t many true ones left – we are also experiencing the death throes of old-school media.

Good riddance to the latter, but I really believe we need two political parties in this country, to make sure the pendulum does not swing too far in either direction, so there’s angst for us, again. I’m left of center, but I don’t want our country to be far left any more than I want it to be far right.

I wrote all these words to get something off my chest. In addition to the personal guilt I still feel for not speaking up for our service members during Vietnam, I wish to acknowledge that there is much about the incivility in our political discourse today that we Democrats are just as responsible for as Republicans, because we lapped up the chance to go after Bush just as they did to go after Clinton.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have gone after Bush, but we should not have sunk to the same level as Republicans, licking our chops.

So when writers like Maureen Dowd (who means NOTHING in the grand scheme; nor do the others with no credentials who are paid to put down political people) prove themselves to have no core, and can just as easily go after one side as the other, because they are media whores and awful people, we can’t cry mea culpa too much, because we once egged them on.

Without those bitter types who caught our attention during the Bush years, I personally would not have survived the Bush years, and some of you may feel the same. But – eek – I am now a little bit sorry that we didn’t try to pull back on it and work toward a more civil political discourse then, because we sure don’t have it now. Maybe if we had, we could have regrouped in our party and been more successful at the polls, in the off years.  Be careful what ya wish for, eh?

A friend of mine would say my taking any kind of responsibility for this is nothing more than “Catholic guilt,” which I should get over, and I get that. Ha!  I’m only a little sorry for taking down Bush like so many are currently taking down President Obama. But I am sorry about it. A little. Maybe I should have acted more grown up, but only in the way I went about it – with a vengeance, licking my chops.

After writing this, I will defer worrying about all that until 2017, but – in the meantime – I will continue to trash anybody (anybody!) who tries to trash President Obama. Call me a hypocrite; I don’t care.

So, as I’ve told my close friends, for now I will continue to support President Obama every day, but when he is out of the White House in 2017, when I shall be 70 years old, God willing, and if I don’t move to another country, I shall at least stay here and smoke my first joint. Yeah, you read that right.

I hope to reach that milestone, and I hope it’s legal, because I will need something to mellow me out when our current First Family flies off to resume their previous lives on the next Inauguration Day … assuming they won’t take me with them, even after I beg.

Oh, and, please don’t tell my grandchildren about that secret “my first joint” part. Wouldn’t want to set the wrong example for the dear young ones!

211 Responses to “Confessions of an Obama-supportin’ Original Baby Boomer”

1. 1 criquet
    June 10, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Hello all

2. 6 Robert Nygaard
    June 10, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Bam!!!!

3. 10 criquet
    June 10, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Hoping company arrives soon!

June 10, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Hey, it’s JO’B! I stared for too long so I got left. Now I’ve gone to read.

5. June 10, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Oh, Chips…I am so with you on everything…except smoking the first joint. Hope I won’t need that for any reason whatsoever – medicinal or otherwise. Big hugs for all you do!

6. 17 Dudette
    June 10, 2013 at 2:06 pm

JOBoomer… have I told you lately that I love you! :-D :-D :-D

Outstanding post!!! Knocked it smooth out of the park and still flying!!

• 18 Layla
      June 10, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Dudette, is it not mind blowing how smart, honest people are here. I just love all of you.

• 19 Dudette
        June 10, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Love you right back! And yes, we’ve quite the exceptional bunch here at TOD! Mama Chips attracts exceptional people! :-)

7. June 10, 2013 at 2:13 pm

@ArrogantDemon
    Oh nice, Adam Green & his group is gonna “raise money” for Snowden…….. Grifting is gonna get out of control

8. 24 Nena20409
    June 10, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Wow…..Lady Chips isn’t playing today. She is all business and she is not taking any Malarkey from the misinformed. I am with Lady Chips. Thank You.

:cool:

9. June 10, 2013 at 2:17 pm

JOBoomer, this is just a completely lovely piece, I felt like I was traveling through your life with you. Endless thanks for writing it, it’s gorgeous and powerful.

June 10, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Aww, Chips – Thanks for the sweet words.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear … This is so funny to see my little errant piece here. Guess what I was doing while everybody was thinking YOU were the “pothead”? Yeah, napping. Oops.

YOU made it with the photos. The JFK image was exactly the one I recall in my mind’s eye from my teenaged years. Don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Disclaimer: Hey, good people, I’m one of the few (believe me) of my generation who never even TRIED any illegal drugs — still haven’t! But ya gotta have goals, and I think we’ll all have to dull our senses somewhat when President Obama’s gone back to Chicago and the mission is REALLY accomplished. Maybe it won’t be a joint, but I still hope that’s legalized soon, and until I think of something else, that I haven’t already “tried,” it will have to do. :)

• June 10, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Absolutely riveting piece!!!! :lol: :lol:

• June 18, 2013 at 10:03 pm

FANTASTIC writing all-around! As someone that belongs to Generation um….what is it…..yeah, I’m 32….lol :D, I really want to thank you for reminding me that there are others from your important generation that stand with President Obama. I hope you won’t be upset with me if I do state that I think Mrs. Clinton has “matured” over the last four years to the capstone of being the successful female flag-bearer in 2016. If you disagree, just say the following out-loud: Cruz/Paul. Paul/Cruz. Bachmann/Cruz. Cruz/Rubio. Sorry to give you nightmares, but I hope I proved my point….lol! :D Seriously, THANK YOU AGAIN!

June 18, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Thanks so much for those words, ms103127! I will say this … I will give Mrs. Clinton another look if she still supports President Obama, doesn’t start campaigning too early, and if she runs in 2016 ~ because, if she can get Bill out of the limelight, it just might work! In any event, I will VOTE for the Democrat who is running. And let’s not forget to GOTV in 2014!

10. 35 Linda
    June 10, 2013 at 2:20 pm

A “distorter” (reporter) just asked Jay how this NSA leak is different from the torture leak and the warrantless wiretapping leaks.

Duh….Those two things were/are ILLEGAL ! This is NOT !

11. 36 Bill
    June 10, 2013 at 2:24 pm

JOBoomer, well said from another Boomer. I could feel your words.

June 10, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Thanks, Bill – we’ll never forget some of it (plus everything not mentioned) from those days.

12. 38 Nena20409
    June 10, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Perhaps some of these Lame, Lazy BW fools have forgotten that just less than 3 weeks or so ago, this POTUS gave a 58 minutes speech about Drones, security and our liberty.

I know that these people tend to have selective amnesia. They should go back and re-read the speech. Perhaps, then they should stop their idiotic behavior…….especially about their insistence to willfully mischaracterize what this POTUS has said over the years.

13. June 10, 2013 at 2:26 pm

First of all AWESOME PIECE, Jacq!!!!!!

Second: As a person who has never ever consumed marijuana in any form, (so I really have no right to an opinion on it – other than I think it’s INSANE we don’t grow hemp here, as it could singlehandedly save our economy, and make a greener world…./soapbox) don’t SMOKE it – it still means smoke and residual shit in your lungs which is BAD, put it in brownies or something – yeah, I know, sugar is bad – but it’s not as bad as corn syrup that’s in everyfuckingthing, and won’t fuck up your lungs.

14. June 10, 2013 at 2:29 pm

So, this morning, Eric Boehlert from Media Matters was on Stephanie Miller this morning, and went on this GGreewald WORSHIP spew about how he’s the best liberal blogger evar….. and he wants to kiss and marry him (well, no, but fuck me it was nauseating.)

How does he NOT know about the whole Glen/Jane/Firebagger/Koch connection????

• June 10, 2013 at 2:32 pm

this morning I’m redundant. and need some sleep. meh

• 65 Bill
      June 10, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Sorry to hear that. I have enjoyed Boehlert in the past. However, Stephanie never wavers from PBO. She is one of the few.

• June 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm

AYFKM? Another one I’ll have to unfollow. What is up with these guys?

• 67 57andfemale
      June 10, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Other than “GG created the entire liberal blogosphere” b.s., he was pretty balanced in his take on all of this. I wish the Republicans hadn’t broken the country so badly – we could have a principled debate on this very important issue. However, the loony notion that the Amurkan People have the right to know everything that government does (as if they could figure THAT out) AND ‘keep us safe’ is nonsense. These same lefty loons are buying shoes from ads that show up at dKos because they ordered something from Zappo’s, but the technology that caught the Boston bombers is offensive.

Hey, I am concerned about the amount of data that is available to damn near everyone else. I would have to get paid in cash, never open a bank account, never use a credit or debit card, never use the Internet or a telephone of any kind in order to avoid it. But then I couldn’t buy a house or a car or get a driver’s license. The expectations are ridiculous. That being said, I don’t want Romney or Bush or any RW loon have these rights. I don’t know where the balance is. But we can’t even debate this sensibly.

• June 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Yeah – but that beginning was revolting, especially since I was still in bed cuddling mah kittehs (no, that’s not code for anything), on a frakkin MONDAY! BLAH!

However, the hysteria of people regarding this is simply mind boggling. Like the one dude from I guess the Sunday shows who whined – “They know when I call, who I call, and for how long I call – AHMAHGAHD VERIZON HAVE MAH INFOS OH NOOOES!!” Yes OF COURSE THEY DO – that’s called your PHONE BILL, and it’s ITEMIZED so you can deduct shit on your taxes, asshole.

• 69 57andfemale
          June 10, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I know, I know – I’m a glutton for punishment. I clicked on an Orange Satan diary entitled “Snowden broke the law” and yes, it was about Snowden breaking the law. But then the diary says this: “The FISA court apparently read this authority as being broad enough to require telecom companies to turn over all “meta” information in their possession about all Americans’ activities all the time.”

Call me crazy, Tally, but I seriously didn’t know that the telecom companies have ‘meta’ information about “all Americans’ activities all the time”. The loony left has as many functioning brain cells as the damn tea party. God.

• June 10, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Here’s how it works:

The US makes a backup copy of the telecom records. They can’t access that info without a FISA warrant, unlike what Bush did – warrantless everyfuckingthing…. and actual wiretapping. That’s not what’s happening now. Most people aren’t really processing what Snowdon said; that he COULD wiretap/listen/access whatever… not that he DID, or that anyone else has EVER or that it’s going on CONSTANTLY to EVERYONE in the US 24/7, yet that’s how the media is making it out.

It’s funny, but how the fuck did this Snowdon guy, get a $200k a year gig in HI with NO HS diploma, and not finishing a single computer class, in the first place? Fuck, I’m more qualified than he is. And how does he know exactly what he can and cannot do, when he doesn’t seem to really have a grasp on how the technology works….. and WHY…. and not being at that job for more than a few months? I’ve just got a whole problem with this dude’s story.

Here’s the deal:

Private companies can be owned by anyone. A Saudi Prince, Mitt Romney, assholes like the Kochs, or Richard Murdoch, Carrot Top, Steven Seagal, some rich spoiled yahoo in North Korea, who might not have the best interest of the security of the US GOV in mind.

So let’s say a terror cell in….. Syria….., gets blown up, and when the CIA goes through the rubble, they find a cell phone, and discover a US phone number attached to that phone, that that phone called to, or received a call from, or both. Then the US GOV would ask for a FISA warrant to look at that US phone number’s records. Was it just a wrong number/butt dial, or is that number in their contacts? Did they speak for 10 seconds, or an hour? Was it once, or 30 times?

Now with that knowledge, are you okay with our NSA going after the bad guys, or do you want your privacy more? Europe has less privacy with CSTV cameras everywhere, AND intense gun regulations. They have less crime that we do measured in PARSECS.

Of course they know where you are, because your cell phone has google maps on it, or FIND MY iPhone, or several other countless apps you’ve voluntarily downloaded onto your phone, that require GPS.

You really want your privacy? Fine. Empty your bank account, cancel your credit cards and cable/satellite TV, and move to the sticks, to a property with a well, and land that’s self-sustaining. All communication devices are voluntary. Plenty of people don’t have phones, cell or otherwise, just like Bin Laden.

If the US GOV had live humans going through all your ‘meta’ data as routine work, instead of computer algorithms when a FISA warrant is issued, we’d have ZERO unemployment, an still wouldn’t have the man power to fill every position to listen to/watch what everyone is doing….

But to act pearl-clutchingly Lindsey Graham and Glen Greenwald’s love baby SHOCKED like the ZOMFG people are doing over this, makes me laugh. Have they never thought about their own phone bill beyond paying it?

• 71 57andfemale
              June 10, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Thanks to a completely broken American press, none of these distinctions are being made, except for those of us screaming in the oncoming storm.

• 73 57andfemale
              June 10, 2013 at 5:12 pm

This statement, out of many gems, is fantastic:

“One of the callers this morning said it really simply – you have the right to privacy in your home, and in your person. But once you voluntarily reach outside either of those, with a phone line, internet, cell phone, you’ve gone outside your home, and are using the public communication grid AT WILL.”

These same loons who think PBO gives a shit what Broadway musical I just downloaded, are using Google maps right now to check traffic on their way home. I completely blame the press for knowingly disseminating outright lies about how this works.

• June 10, 2013 at 5:36 pm

These people probably also remove the license plates from their car when they’re driving anywhere … just saying …

Man, am *I* glad I’m a bicyclist :-)

• 79 57andfemale
                  June 10, 2013 at 6:05 pm

But HOW did they get that license plate without giving out their (scary music) PRIVATE INFORMATION?!?!?!

Is it me, or is it just as loony to think that a dirty bomb going off on American soil is the ‘price we pay’ for liberty as to say, 20 dead children is the price we pay for the 2nd Amendment?

I want to discuss this balance. I believe it needs to be discussed and adjusted and justified on a regular basis. But I’m sick of the loons from both fringes, unable to rub together two brain cells to come up with anything logical.

• 80 Puddin'
      June 10, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Tally, went Eric Boehlert started praising GGreenwald, I turned away…I Love Lucy was better than listening to such nonsense!

15. 82 Bill R.
    June 10, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Thanks for telling your story, JoBoomer. I’m almost 65. I walked a precinct for Jimmy Carter, and was a volunteer in the Bill Clinton campaign, attended the inauguration all the way from Oregon with my family. And suffered through the GOP takeover of Congress in the 90s and the Bush theft of 2000 election. My life spans presidents all the way from Harry Truman, whom I remember only vaguely, and the depression people had about the Korean war. I just missed the draft in 1969 for the Vietnam war by getting a lottery number of 323, in the first ever draft lottery. I have the perspective to day that our President Obama is the best ever, and his two elections are historic in the shift of consciousness that is sweeping our country, a country that is truly becoming diverse and where as PBO says, the arc of justice is bending ever towards healing and reconciliation. The consciousness of an entire nation changes slowly. I truly never thought I would see the election of an African American President or the day when gay brothers and sisters would be welcome to the table. The times, they are a changing, as we used to sing in the 60s hootenanny days.

• 83 dmimigrayson
      June 10, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I need to add, my “timeline” I am 60, remeember JFK’ election night as an 8 yr old. Was devestated at RFK’s loss, become I was becoming politically active as a 16 year old in high school, in NY. Our dad was a army retiree, and we were in Okinawa when JFK was killed and I watched my parents mourn, and was rivitted by his and RFK’s and MLK’s rreporting and funerals. I voted for Carter while living in England. Campaigned and help with Clinton’s electio, and Gore’s loss. I was supported Dean, and the our wonderful president, payin g bucks and footleather and computer time. I have never seen the vitriol at such a level, as today. i never bad-mouthed Bush, because I believe in cilvility. Some of my mormon brother and sisters have gone off the deep end in the disrespecct for our president, and have lost friends over my support of this good man. As a black woman, it saddens me to hear and see such one-sided non-sense and non from our so-called left media. Thanks for having this site as a haven and bulwark against the nonsense!

16. June 10, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Love this piece, JO’B, for all its honestly and for the lovely way you expressed your experience. It’s been a long, strange haul. We’ve seen so much love and anger and hatred and grace and brilliance.

June 10, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Thank you, meta. The fact you and others shared some of those experiences along the way is somehow comforting … because look what we’re sharing NOW!!!!! Compared to other times, this is STILL the best of times, no matter what’s thrown at us.

17. 86 Bill R.
    June 10, 2013 at 2:33 pm
  18. 87 Jovie
    June 10, 2013 at 2:33 pm

But but but the black guy the black guy…

19. 88 Eveingeorgia
    June 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm

@jacquelineoboomer

What a fantastic piece. Thank you for this; it is really good and oh so true.

20. 90 Jovie
    June 10, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Really ?

• 91 Layla
      June 10, 2013 at 2:58 pm

That Grassley, what a guy! On June 28, 2006, Grassley proposed a so-called Pimp Tax[4][5] intended to curb sex trafficking and sex slavery in the United States by means of strict enforcement of tax laws, for example by requiring a W-2 form be filed for each prostitute managed by a pimp or other employer.(wiki)

June 10, 2013 at 2:42 pm
  22. 94 Don
    June 10, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Jacquelineoboomer, that was one of the best pieces I’ve read in a long time. But…..yes, there is a but, next time spare me the “I’ve never smoked a joint” routine. According to you, in the 70’s you were hot and young and walked around in high heels, and I’m supposed to believe you didn’t walk around with a roach clip at the ready?

23. 102 MightyPamela
    June 10, 2013 at 2:42 pm

{{{{JO’B}}}} You are a voice! Blessings to you! :)

24. 103 dotster3
    June 10, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Oh no—I see news that Newtown, Ct. schools are in lockdown. Don’t know what that’s all about, and hopefully it’s a false alarm, but even then——-what kind of disturbed freak would threaten that community again?

25. June 10, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Yipee!! Daughter sleep…I get to come out and play. Hi everybody! :) :) :)

June 10, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Jacqueling O’Boomer, this is a completely wonderful commentary. Thank you for sharing.

27. June 10, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Great post!

This is the first time I’ve paid serious attention to politics. When Bush won his second term, I turned off the TV and went to sleep. That’s how little I cared. I don’t feel guilt over it. That’s just how it is. People (rightly) get wrapped up in their own lives.

Barack Obama was the reason I became engaged. I was shocked to see that America was going to give a Black guy a chance to be POTUS. I was very cynical.

I get the not wanting to be a hypocrite thing. I am mindful of it everyday. I don’t read MoDo now and I won’t be reading her if the next POTUS is Sarah Palin.

• 116 LDS
      June 10, 2013 at 3:23 pm

@gobrooklyn: at least you were able to sleep….I was shocked, numb and comatose for eight years.
      Still cynical but hopeful…..slowing withdrawals from chocolate seems promising.
      So glad you are healing and on the way to recovery.
      PEACE

28. June 10, 2013 at 2:58 pm

A huge curtsy and sweeping hat tip to JOBoomer! Thank you for sharing that remarkable expose’.

29. June 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Okay, I’m going back, back, back…to play catch-up. I’ll be back!!

June 10, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Hope daughter is on the mend FayPax – nice to see you back and in good spirits.

• June 10, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Thanks Hopefruit. She is on the mend. I brought her home from the hospital yesterday and I think she’s happy to be in her own bed. She had pneumonia in December and I don’t think took adequate time to recover and get it completely out of her system. Works, goes to school, volunteers…too much. But what do I know? :) Anyway, she’s better and she’ll be fine.

June 10, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Great that she’s home!

LOL- Nothing beats your own bed – even if you were in a posh hotel in Hong Kong or Sweden…

But jokes aside, wishing her continued recovery and healing, and tell her to learn to slow down for bit :) (easier said than done, I know).

30. June 10, 2013 at 3:07 pm
  31. 125 Nena20409
    June 10, 2013 at 3:15 pm

06-10-13 WH Briefings by James “Jay” “Clark Kent” Carney ;)

32. 126 Ladyhawke
    June 10, 2013 at 3:15 pm

PRESIDENT OBAMA: ‘STRIKING THE RIGHT BALANCE BETWEEN OUR SECURITY AND OUR OPEN SOCIETY’

Remarks by the President at the National Defense University

National Defense University – May 23, 2013

Fort McNair -Washington, D.C.

——————————————————————————

Thwarting homegrown plots presents particular challenges in part because of our proud commitment to civil liberties for all who call America home. That’s why, in the years to come, we will have to keep working hard to strike the appropriate balance between our need for security and preserving those freedoms that make us who we are. That means reviewing the authorities of law enforcement, so we can intercept new types of communication, but also build in privacy protections to prevent abuse.

That means that — even after Boston — we do not deport someone or throw somebody in prison in the absence of evidence. That means putting careful constraints on the tools the government uses to protect sensitive information, such as the state secrets doctrine. And that means finally having a strong Privacy and Civil Liberties Board to review those issues where our counterterrorism efforts and our values may come into tension.

The Justice Department’s investigation of national security leaks offers a recent example of the challenges involved in striking the right balance between our security and our open society. As Commander-in-Chief, I believe we must keep information secret that protects our operations and our people in the field. To do so, we must enforce consequences for those who break the law and breach their commitment to protect classified information. But a free press is also essential for our democracy. That’s who we are. And I’m troubled by the possibility that leak investigations may chill the investigative journalism that holds government accountable.

Journalists should not be at legal risk for doing their jobs. Our focus must be on those who break the law. And that’s why I’ve called on Congress to pass a media shield law to guard against government overreach. And I’ve raised these issues with the Attorney General, who shares my concerns. So he has agreed to review existing Department of Justice guidelines governing investigations that involve reporters, and he’ll convene a group of media organizations to hear their concerns as part of that review. And I’ve directed the Attorney General to report back to me by July 12th.

————————————————————————

NOTE: At the White House Press Corps Briefing today with Press Secretary Jay Carney some of the jackals seemed to have selective amnesia about the fact that President Obama had addressed the complicated issue of striking the right balance between our security and our open society in his counter-terrorism speech on May 23, 2013.

33. 127 Jovie
    June 10, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Please tell Ari melber and his Libertarian ass 2 stfu?

• 128 Layla
      June 10, 2013 at 3:21 pm

too bad we cannot design our own “pants on fire” system

• 129 COS
      June 10, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Joy Reid repeatedly called him out on his BS this past weekend.

• 130 Ladyhawke
        June 10, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Oh COS, I was going to post a similar comment. I saw Joy Reid challenge Ari Melber yesterday and it was a thing of beauty. He was not getting away with blowing smoke in her face. She challenged him several times. And I could tell he did not like it. In fact, Joy did the same thing with Michael Steele. He was spouting all of this nonsense about Chris Chrities decision to spend all of that money on the senate election. Joy wasn’t having it. At the end of the interview Jay told Steele that he was a good advocate for a party that didn’t advocate for him. Ouch. She made him look like a fool with a big smile on her face. Joy is fierce. I really like her style.

• 131 COS
          June 10, 2013 at 4:23 pm

LH, I sure wish that she had her own show. Ari and all of the other wannabes could learn a thing or two from Joy and Rev. Al. I could tell that Ari was upset with he,r but she ignored it and kept pushing back on his BS. She did not back down and she had the last word. :)

• 132 Linda
      June 10, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Thanks for the warning…..

He will probably on every show the rest of the day

June 10, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Thanks so much Jacqueline O’Boomer for sharing your experiences with us via this fabulous post! :) :) From one unabashed Obamabot to another. And I am SURE there will come a time when all the people who now use the term “Obot” as insults, will be clamoring to be associated in any way shape or form with the phenomenon that was, is and will be Barack Obama.

• 134 COS
      June 10, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Ms. O’Boomer, I really enjoyed reading this piece. Thanks so much for sharing with us. I share a lot of your feelings.

June 10, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Doorbell rand and I had a visitor so I’ve just finished reading. I even missed PBO’s announcement! Dear JO’B, I’m not sure where to start, so for now I’ll start with thanking you for sharing from the heart. This politics thingy has really been a ‘growth’ experience for me too.

36. 136 japa21
    June 10, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Great post, JOB, and as troy that somewhat parallels mine. Although I didn’t grow up Catholic(am now) and I actually campaigned for Nixon in 1960. Not one of my proudest moments in retrospect.

I will tell you what makes me the maddest in how I see PBO being treated (and yes, Clinton faced some of this, but not as virulently hate-filled). Disagree with PBO’s policies or actions, fine. There can be honest difference of opinion on that, including the possible changing of the law the NSA is operating under. And I know very strong PBO supporters who do disagree with him. In fact, I also realize that PBO welcomes that disagreement. There is a caveat to that. Disagree but make your arguments based upon facts.

And do not, if you want a sustained conversation with me anyway, try to do character assassination on this man. In my lifetime, and that goes back a long long way, to Truman, the only President whose character I would consider even close to PBO’s in terms of high quality, would be Carter and then Eisenhower. There is no doubt in my mind, that in those situations where he campaigned on one thing and changed his mind post election, and there are a couple, it was only due to a deep and thorough reflection on the facts as he discovered them to be after taking the oath of office.

If anything, he is a man that may be too good a man for the position of President, yet, at the same time, that is what makes him an excellent President. I wish everybody that tries to tear him down could do an honest evaluation of their own character when measured by his. Most of us and them would fail miserably.

37. 137 nathkatun7
    June 10, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Bravo, JOB, from a fellow boomer! Thank you for sharing your experience and your political trajectory.

38. 138 Ladyhawke
    June 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm

EDWARD SNOWDEN IS NO HERO

POSTED BY JEFFREY TOOBIN

————————

What, one wonders, did Snowden think the N.S.A. did? Any marginally attentive citizen, much less N.S.A. employee or contractor, knows that the entire mission of the agency is to intercept electronic communications.
    And what of his decision to leak the documents? Doing so was, as he more or less acknowledges, a crime. Any government employee or contractor is warned repeatedly that the unauthorized disclosure of classified information is a crime. But Snowden, apparently, was answering to a higher calling. “When you see everything you realize that some of these things are abusive,” he said. “The awareness of wrongdoing builds up. There was not one morning when I woke up. It was a natural process.” These were legally authorized programs; in the case of Verizon Business’s phone records, Snowden certainly knew this, because he leaked the very court order that approved the continuation of the project. So he wasn’t blowing the whistle on anything illegal; he was exposing something that failed to meet his own standards of propriety. The question, of course, is whether the government can function when all of its employees (and contractors) can take it upon themselves to sabotage the programs they don’t like. That’s what Snowden has done.

———————————————–

June 10, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Ladyhawke, I was just about to post this article! When you’ve lost Jeffrey Toobin (who’s not exactly an “Obot”) THIS EARLY in the game, you are on a bad path.

• 140 Ladyhawke
        June 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Exactly HF I was thinking the same thing. You mean Jeffrey Toobin wrote that. But isn’t it interesting to see the item up thread that (AP advises staff against calling Snowden a “whistleblower”). DUH! The fact that it was necessary for them to do that is embarrassing. There is a big difference between a leaker with an agenda and a whistleblower reporting that laws were broken. He never was a whistleblower, that’s BS. There is a documented procedure and protections for taking that kind of action. He is a leaker and a criminal hiding behind some flimsy excuse that he didn’t like what he was seeing. Oh please, this just sounds like a vendetta and a convenient way to try and tarnish President Obama. All of a sudden he is outraged because things just don’t meet his requirements under the Obama administration. Why didn’t he make a stink about this warrantless wiretapping during the Bush administration. Boy, talk about a delayed reaction. Curious …..

39. 141 Ladyhawke
    June 10, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Bob Cesca ‏@bobcesca_go 1h

————————————–

I love hearing from people who supported torture for counter-terrorism calling the NSA program excessive.

————————————————

40. June 10, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I had to come back and tell you guys in the late nineties Booz Allen had the contract to reshape the IRS and to do so departmentalized the agency…giving specific assigns to handle 1040’s or Corporate filings, or tax-exempt status. The IRS set-up you see today is Booz Allen’s work.

41. 147 Dudette
    June 10, 2013 at 3:36 pm

More greatness from my new musical love! I cannot get enough of this guy! I’m buying everything he makes… forever!

——————
    “Weird one…” — So Chips, do you think he’s singing to me? [I'm convinced he is!] :-)

42. 149 Jovie
    June 10, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Suffolk poll says obama scandals hurting market

Which is the point for all of this anyways.
    Boy are democrats stupid! They say democrats are the more educated but we always get played by the right.

June 10, 2013 at 3:39 pm

There is a tornado warning for E.Baltimore and a few other MD counties. I know that our Collegekay lives in Baltimore, but not sure what part. Whatever the case, I hope that she and her family are all and remain safe until the bad weather has subsided.

44. June 10, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Brilliantly done, Jacqueline, and given our similar ages, like a stroll down memory lane. Thank you.

Regarding the traitor Snowden & his #KOCHSTER handler Greenwald …

#FORWARD Together

45. 167 Dudette
    June 10, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Anybody got an update for us on what the President’s announcement was this afternoon? I missed it? Was it the Furman nomination or something else?

46. 170 Claire
    June 10, 2013 at 3:50 pm

According to the law snowden is not a whistle blower. Just because hater greewald labeled him as such does not make it true.

What We Mean When We Say ‘Whistle-Blower’

47. 172 Bill R.
    June 10, 2013 at 3:58 pm
      June 10, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Go, Bill! Bet it felt good gettin’ all that out, and there probably aren’t too many you missed!

June 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm
  49. 178 debz
    June 10, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Happy Birthday Sasha Obama!!!!!!!!

50. 179 Ladyhawke
    June 10, 2013 at 4:06 pm

WELP, THERE WON’T BE ANY PRODUCERS LOOKING TO BOOK SENATOR FRANKIN TONIGHT.

Al Franken: I’m Not Surprised, This Isn’t About Spying on Americans

By Bob Cesca

—————————

During an interview with the StarTribune, Senator Al Franken confirmed that the Senate Judiciary Committee is well aware of how the intelligence community conducts itself and he downplayed some of the more hyperbolic implications out there.
    Quite frankly, I trust the words of Senator Al Franken, and I consider him to be far more credible than vague implications made by self-interested writers who have produced no evidence of what they claim.

Confirmations that the NSA’s Prism program does not apply to American citizens and that it does not lack oversight are piling up, while the claim that the NSA has been granted sweeping direct-access to American’s data at all times remains unsubstantiated and unconfirmed.

———————————-

Read more of Senator Frankin’s comments here ……

51. 181 Jovie
    June 10, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Here goes Michael Isikoff with his figures on section 215.
    This guy is a Troll.
    The media is entertaining, all the libertarian talking points is astounding !

June 10, 2013 at 4:14 pm

By next month at this time, they will be quiet on this issue – perhaps moved on to the next topic of empty poutrage.

Meanwhile, PBO will be more popular, more successful, more liked, more admired, more respected, and more effective than EVAH!!!

52. 183 Linda
    June 10, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Told ya.

Ari Melber is on Martin and so is Steve Clemons who has also sided with the emo’s

53. 189 Dudette
    June 10, 2013 at 4:15 pm
    June 10, 2013 at 4:19 pm

You think?

• 191 COS
      June 10, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Clyburn can always see through this BS. He is totally right. I can’t wait until the true story is revealed.

55. 197 Ladyhawke
    June 10, 2013 at 4:28 pm

NSA CONTROVERSIES JUST KEEP POPPING UP …..

If NSA controversies are a recurring issue…

By Steve Benen

——————————

Which suggests something important: these NSA controversies keep popping up. There’s certainly a great deal of interest about revelations that surfaced last week, and for good reason, but the fact that the questions and concerns about expansive surveillance overreach keep happening should tell us something important about the nature of the underlying issue — and the prospect of potential abuses.

I realize there are sincere disagreements among credible observers about the propriety and efficacy of these NSA programs. But if we’re looking at a policy landscape in which, every few years, the nation pauses and asks, “Wait, we’re doing what? NSA surveillance is going how far?” then maybe it’s time for Congress to pause and take a closer look at where lawmakers have drawn the lines.

—————————————-

56. 198 57andfemale
    June 10, 2013 at 4:30 pm
  57. 200 Jovie
    June 10, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Now Ryan Grimm??? All the Emo Progs Men!

58. 201 Linda
    June 10, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Some tell Ryan Grimm that there is no such thing as a ” National Referendum ” , so his ” We the People ” need to decide is just silly

• 202 nathkatun7
      June 10, 2013 at 5:39 pm

It’s really mind-boggling that so many of these so called journalists have no clue about the nature of the American political system. Our system of government is totally based on the Constitution. There is not a single word in the Constitution that mandates a “National Referendum.” The responsibility for making laws is entrusted to Congress and not the people. If Grimm wants a “National Referendum” he should be urging Congress to pass a Constitutional Amendment mandating it.

59. 203 japa21
    June 10, 2013 at 4:43 pm
  60. 204 vitaminlover
    June 10, 2013 at 5:11 pm

So, Chips, you’ll be 70 in 2017? That is so cool. I thought that you were younger. You are hip and happening!

June 10, 2013 at 6:32 pm

VL – Since I’m the culprit, I must say that it’s not Chips who’ll be 70 in ’17 – it is I (she posted my piece). If this weren’t the end of a post, I’d stand back and wait to see her humorous denial of both the age group and … uh … other things, but, alas, I cannot.

61. June 10, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Thanks so much for sharing a lil bit of your life…..

62. June 10, 2013 at 9:38 pm

JO’Boomer, I enjoyed reading about your journey through political awareness! Thanks for sharing!!!

63. 210 canadabarb4obama
    June 11, 2013 at 12:45 am

Oh, my BAFFAA, thank you from the bottom of my PBO everloving heart! Your story struck me to the depth of my being! Now, I need to go retrieve my paper towel to wipe away the tears (yup, those kleenex tissues are just too small and thin!) Love you, Jackie

June 11, 2013 at 12:58 am

Awww, thank you Barb. Dry those tears! We get to love PBO now, together, with all our hearts!