Jun

Rise and Shine

A Year Ago: First Lady Michelle Obama waits to greet President Barack Obama upon his arrival at John F. Kennedy International Airport, June 14, 2012. (Photo by Pete Souza)

Today:

11:30: The President hosts a Father’s Day Luncheon

12:30: Press Briefing by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest

2:45: The President welcomes the WNBA Champion Indiana Fever to the White House

The Guardian: Families of the 26 victims of the Sandy Hook school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, will mark the six-month anniversary of the tragedy on Friday by launching a nationwide bus tour designed to step up political pressure on the US senators who voted against the bill to toughen America’s gun laws.

Relatives of the 20 young children and six carers who were killed by a lone shooter on 14 December will begin the tour in Newtown under the banner “No More Names”. The campaign, launched by the national coalition to reduce gun violence, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, will last for 100 days and take in 25 states.

More here

BooMan: …. when Bill Clinton compares the situation in Syria to the situation he faced in Kosovo, he’s making one of the stupidest statements that I have ever heard from him.

…. For Clinton to appear with John McCain and make comments like this is a perfect vindication of my total opposition to his wife’s candidacy for president. We cannot afford more leadership from people who think about American power in this way…..

This is what we gained when we won the presidency for Obama. A cool head.

Full post here

June 14, 2012: President Obama talks to kids during a stop at the Boys and Girls Clubs of Cleveland on Broadway Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, right, greet workers during a tour of the One World Trade Center site in New York, N.Y., June 14, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

A very belated good morning everyone. Thanks so much to Zizi for this morning’s post.

Still having monster computer problems, so just posting a short R&S for now while I try to fix things! Will catch up a little later with more of the news.

122 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. June 14, 2013 at 10:39 am

What a beautiful couple!

• June 14, 2013 at 10:40 am

……in that first picture. Was in such a hurry to be first I didn’t finish my comment. :)

• June 14, 2013 at 11:12 am

That is the truth! congratulations on 1st!

• 4 arapaho415
      June 14, 2013 at 11:20 am

Congrats on #1, tnmtngirl!

Recall that you mentioned earlier you’d have to spend more time with your *actual* family instead of TODville. LOL.

Good to see you on board. Looking forward to our President’s trip to Northern Ireland next week.

2. 5 Layla
    June 14, 2013 at 10:39 am

hello all!

3. 6 HZ
    June 14, 2013 at 10:42 am

Oh, a dream come true for me. Am I in the first four this morning. I am aiming for #1 one day soon. Have a beautiful day TOD Family. Love you my beautiful Chips. HZ

• 7 Layla
      June 14, 2013 at 10:45 am

HZ, we are all number 1 no matter how quickly one bursts through the door!

• 8 HZ
        June 14, 2013 at 10:58 am

Amen to that, Layla. One of my goals during the 2012 election was to get POB re-elected, have a fundraiser page for him, and be #1 on our beautiful haven here. I accomplished 2 out of three. Just having some family fun this morning. My tummy is making great progress, so I am giving more gratefulness and joyfulness into my space with my beautiful TOD family.

It is a beautiful sunny day on the west coast today. Great to be up and about. () for our First Family. HZ

4. 9 Nena20409
    June 14, 2013 at 10:43 am

Good Morning, Good Morning…..all TODville Villagers.

Morning Chips.

5. June 14, 2013 at 10:44 am

First in a different time zone? I’ll take whatever I can get. Congrats tmmtmgirl.

6. June 14, 2013 at 10:46 am

ZiZi . . . I am thanking you, still, already, for your fabulous previous post.
    Awesome speaking, I dropped it right onto my FaceBook page. A fine grounding
    on a Friday morning. xoxoxo

7. 12 japa21
    June 14, 2013 at 10:48 am

GM all from sunny Chicago. To all fathers out there, Happy Father’s day weekend. And when I say fathers, I don’t restrict myself to biological or adoptive fathers. Any male that has a major influence in the life of a child can in a sense be called a father, just as any woman who does the same can be called a mother.

This is one of my rage at the media days. It now appears they are also getting some of the initial facts about Syria wrong. So be prepared for some of my incoherent rageful tweets. Such as:

And

and

• 14 Layla
      June 14, 2013 at 10:53 am

GB, good morning to you! Fighter extraordinaire!!!!!

• June 14, 2013 at 10:56 am

Hey Layla!!

Gonna be a good day, yes?

• 16 Layla
          June 14, 2013 at 10:59 am

Well, you are here so yes!!!!!! BTW my friends here in Ottawa are also praying for you. I make them aware of your progress to show them the heart of a fighter!

• June 14, 2013 at 11:39 am

Awww…tell them I said thank you!!

I just came back from a very quick session. The therapist helped me push past my fear of pain and got me to go up the mock stairs!!!! It was sideways, with a little bit of cheating, some grunting and screaming BUT I got up the stairs. :) :)

This morning I went up only 1 stair and a few hours later, I went up about 4-5 stairs. PROGRESS!!!

• 18 MightyPamela
              June 14, 2013 at 11:54 am

Stairs. Oh, GoB, stairs are a major factor ~ you go slowly and carefully, okay, please? I nearly took another tumble down my basement stairs on Sunday evening – torques my knee, tore my shoulder again grabbing desperately to hold onto something to prevent a total fall, and have set myself back 2-3 weeks, never mind the pan and discouragement …. Keep up the good work. {{{{GoB}}}}

• 22 Layla
              June 14, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Hey GB, look up this product, if you wish. It could offer you some relief and security re stairs when you go home, until you have fully recovered. Just a thought!

• 23 Layla
                June 14, 2013 at 12:11 pm

The Quad Step (Portable EZ-Step) is a unique, Patented, one of a kind, product that offers the stability of a quad cane while making virtually ANY stairway accessible to anyone who is ambulatory but has difficulty with stairs!

• 24 utaustinliberal
      June 14, 2013 at 10:57 am

Hello! Hope your spirits are up this morning and you’re doing well you Wonder Woman!

• 26 Dakota
      June 14, 2013 at 11:08 am

Good Morning GB! Peace and Blessings to you this fine day!

• 27 jackiegrumbacher
      June 14, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Hi, GB, good to see it’s one day closer to going home for you. Hope the physical therapy is going okay.

June 14, 2013 at 10:55 am

I’ve been closely following the Newtown families this week and bless them for their remarkable courage in this fight to ensure the safety of everyone from horrific gun violence. Their strength is beyond admirable.

9. June 14, 2013 at 10:56 am

Good Friday Morning Chipsticks, TODers…Everyone

Hope everyone has a good day!

10. June 14, 2013 at 10:57 am

This:

is why Snowden was dangerous, and not about FREEEEEDOMM !!!

“As a systems administrator, the officials said, Snowden should know what security protocols the NSA used, although they would have been changed since his departure.”

I have been a systems administrator, albeit a quarter of a century ago (lots has changed since). The role necessarily brings with it that you have control over computers, networks and all data residing on them or flowing through. You might not have time to *do* anything with that power (and properly encrypted data still isn’t intelligible to you – although you could change or remove it) – but power it is.

11. June 14, 2013 at 11:00 am

Morning Glories all. O/T but still noteworthy. This is a wonderful interview with Mary Clayton, former Rayette and back-up singer to the Stones, James Taylor, Bobby Darrin, Joe Cocker etc. She is part of a documentary about the unheralded art of back-up singing who were generally AA gospel singers and almost always better the stars. Highly recommend this interview for your leisure moments.

• June 14, 2013 at 11:11 am

oopsie, the above link is not right. And its Merry Clayton, not “mary”

• 37 HZ
      June 14, 2013 at 11:12 am

GM Gobrooklyn. You being here has made me stronger, grateful, and blessed. You are such a strong and loving spirit. I pray for continued Great progress for you dear beautiful Gobrooklyn. (((((((((((((((( Thank you for your grace, and beautiful spirit.)))))))))))))))))))HZ

• June 14, 2013 at 11:16 am

Insert the “Willy Wonka pose”…. oh, he’s still in China….you don’t say!….gee I wonder what he’s doing over there…. ;)

12. 39 Nena20409
    June 14, 2013 at 11:11 am

Why is Rick Perry so fatuously inept? OK……the way I phrased it is twisted…..however, Perry is just pathetic.
    Religious Freedom, does not mean what? 1:37……I am still confused.

June 14, 2013 at 11:14 am

Mornin’.

June 14, 2013 at 11:15 am

There’s Friday and then there’s this.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R), a longtime immigration reform advocate, said Friday that because immigrants are “more fertile” they are a crucial source of labor for the United States.

Perfect response.

• 44 Nena20409
      June 14, 2013 at 11:24 am

I had thought that JEB was conflicted with the CIR bill? It looks like he is still twisting in the winds, navigating to locate which direction the wind blows?

• 45 Nena20409
      June 14, 2013 at 11:26 am

Fertile? Well, not to be mean and crude, JEB speaks from experience? Hmm? 3 Children by his Mexican born wife? Mission Accomplished?

• 48 Linda
      June 14, 2013 at 11:27 am

Disgusting ……..

They just cannot help themselves…..

Keep talking Jeb.

• 49 Nena20409
      June 14, 2013 at 11:29 am

Finally, the Truth is unearth?

Heck, how did those settlers in the 1400s with about 27-100 people managed to overpopulate the Native Americans? Hmm?

• 50 57andfemale
      June 14, 2013 at 11:58 am

More cannon fodder! More minimum wage workers!

What did I say? What? WHAT?!?!

15. 51 Robert Nygaard
    June 14, 2013 at 11:17 am

A very happy weekend to all TODers.

16. 54 Nena20409
    June 14, 2013 at 11:22 am

Funny, I thought that TBGOPers mined this “you didn’t build it” in June/July of 2012….along with the Media, heck it was WHPC who started with the Tweet and their # tag for weeks on end. Heck it was The Theme at the GOP Convention in FL. These people are just liars. They can’t handle their loss.

17. 55 carolyn
    June 14, 2013 at 11:23 am

Once again, President Obama did the smart thing and didn’t make comments or rush to judgment on the Snowden/Greenwald debacle. We’ll never know exactly what he knew about it, but we do know he was smart in dealing with it, and held his fire. Many others should learn to do this. Remember he said, “I like to know what I’m talking about before I say anything.” Such a good strategy! Neither could the WHPC draw Carney out to make hair on fire comments. One would think after 4 1/2 years, these guys would get a clue…….oh silly me!

18. 56 arapaho415
    June 14, 2013 at 11:42 am

Good news via New Mexico newspaper. (Requires user to answer a question or two to view article.)

Also related to NM, Martin Heinrich (D-NM) gave his first speech on the Senate floor yesterday:

19. 57 Linda
    June 14, 2013 at 11:42 am

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOFhrMdMd8

June 14, 2013 at 11:43 am
  21. June 14, 2013 at 11:45 am

Apparently, this is how New Yorkers see the rest of the country. :(

• 61 jackiegrumbacher
      June 14, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Don’t think it’s just New Yorkers. That’s pretty much the big city urban view on the East Coast.

June 14, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I can only speak for little city New Jersey, but, yeah.

What’s that about NJ and the “bad drivers,” NYC? At least we know how to drive (Ha!). Bad drivers are more in Boston, where they actually aim for you. #BeenThereLivedToTellTheTale

• June 14, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

• June 14, 2013 at 1:37 pm

One of the many advantages of crossing the United States on a bicycle (twice) is to get to know people in “fly over country” – that’s why I am so amazed at President Obama going to rural Ohio, etc and acutally getting into a serious debat with them.

June 14, 2013 at 12:06 pm
  23. 69 dotster3
    June 14, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Here’s Darlene Love on Letterman the other night—-beautiful!—-mentioned above by Edwina as being a part of “20 ft. from Stardom”, doc. about back up singers. Letterman loves Love—-(me too)——she rocks out his xmas show every year with her #1 holiday song.

June 14, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Priceless.

25. 74 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 14, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Congrats on 1st tnmtngrl!

Thank you Chips!!

And, thank you Zizi for your exceptional essay. Have seen several bringing it to Pres Clinton’s attention, but wanted to be sure as many as possible read it, thus …

#TrustBarack He’s Earned It

June 14, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Oh, I was hoping one of us would tweet that to Bill. Wasn’t sure I wanted to be the one to draw out the ’08 PUMAs. Let us know how it goes!

26. 76 japa21
    June 14, 2013 at 12:23 pm
    • 77 Nena20409
      June 14, 2013 at 12:34 pm

1001% Accurate. Great Tweet!

The reason Nixon wanted Roger Ailes to undermine the News Media. It took 40 years. Now the right has the media echo chamber that distorts, uses propaganda, and sells opinions as reporting…..hence the she/he memes.

They won. They won again in decimating our public education. They won in dumbing down our population. They won in income inequality. They won in decimating the senate. They won in keeping racism alive…..the Southern Strategy. They won in Wars, after wars. They won in Large deficits. They won in having Tip O’Neill in Oct 31st 1981, agreeing for SSecurity to be used…..today that Fund is owed over $4T. They won in decimating our Infrastructure. They won in making health care costs too expensive……etc, etc, etc.

27. June 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Cute Cheerios Ad parody with an unexpected twist. Enjoy.

28. 79 yardarm756
    June 14, 2013 at 12:29 pm

If any are still wondering what Chicago looks like, Alex Wagner is broadcasting from there live as we speak. She on the side of the river downtown. It’s a beautiful thing.

June 14, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Cool! I’ll be watching it muted, but thanks for the heads up.

Mornin’.

• 82 57andfemale
      June 14, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Love our riverfront. Lakefront, too, of course. Chicago’s a great city.

June 14, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Almost made it there last year, with some friends. One of the things I wanted to do was take the “architectural boat tour.” This is the first time I’ve lived in the Midwest, and some of the architecture in the few cities I’ve seen is wonderful – and so different from what I was used to in the Northeast.

• 86 yardarm756
        June 14, 2013 at 1:28 pm

You betcha!

June 14, 2013 at 12:37 pm

For the whiny Emoprogs.

June 14, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Cutting foodstamps, but are willing to spend how much to keep Gitmo open. These Republicans are a bunch of hateful nasty racists bigots.

30. June 14, 2013 at 12:37 pm

GM Chips, TOD….

June 14, 2013 at 12:38 pm
  32. 91 sabreen60
    June 14, 2013 at 12:40 pm

It’s afternoon here, so Good Afternoon TODers!

June 14, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Yeah, the emoprogs will still blame President Obama.

#GOTV2014

June 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm

The emoprogs are just as stupid and racists as the right wing. What is POTUS to do?

June 14, 2013 at 12:55 pm

In my book, he can just go on being the wonderful POTUS he already is, and that’ll work for me!

Can’t wait to see what’s next on his brilliant agenda!

June 14, 2013 at 1:40 pm

How the heck do anyone with any sense try to place the blame on POTUS for Gitmo not being closed?

33. June 14, 2013 at 12:41 pm

GOP got smoked for third year in a row thanks to C.Richmond….who wore a Dodgers #42 Jackie Robinson jersey.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

34. 97 sabreen60
    June 14, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Take 6 – Star-Spangled Banner

35. 99 57andfemale
    June 14, 2013 at 12:49 pm
  36. June 14, 2013 at 12:55 pm
  37. 109 57andfemale
    June 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm
    June 14, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I mean, really. Who is giving Hillary advice to have her whole family out there subliminally championing her next run for President, three years out? Do they not think that they will not only remind Democrats (especially President Obama supporters) of their bad acts, over and over, but also give Republican crackpots three years to put them down? Of course, some Republicans will try to boost “the Clinton years,” early on, to put down the accomplishments of Pres. Obama, but just about every Republican with a national or state platform despises anything Clinton. That will ooze out all over the place. It’s crazy, and shows either a total lack of any remaining political skills on their parts or a total lack of current-day good advisers.

This is Mitt-Romney-ish. He never stopped running for President, between elections. How’d that work out for ya, Mitt?

39. June 14, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I’m so disgusted and fed up with these RWNJ LOONS running our country.

40. June 14, 2013 at 1:08 pm
    June 14, 2013 at 1:10 pm
    June 14, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Normally, I despise every word Rep. Peter King spews, but I do agree with him about calling out supporters of the traitor Snowden. However, of course, he will try to fit “Blame Obama” into the mix, which I will go back to despising.

June 14, 2013 at 1:15 pm

some loony left

44. 120 otter 44
    June 14, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Delurking to remind everyone to call their Congress critters for OFA today and ask where they stand on gun safety. I am in WA 10 Denny Heck supports the President and support insurance requirement for gun owners. Lets honor all those killed by senseless gun violence and CALL Congress.

45. 121 Bill R.