Jun

Rise and Shine

Saturday: The President has no public events scheduled

Sunday: The President and the First Family will depart for Belfast, Northern Ireland (9:20 PM)

Monday: The President and the First Family will arrive in Belfast in the morning, where he will deliver remarks – the First Lady will introduce the President at the event.

The President will then meet with Prime Minister David Cameron ahead of the G8 Summit. Later, he will attend the G-8 Summit at Lough Erne, Northern Ireland, hosted by PM Cameron, from June 17-18.

On Monday evening, the President will hold a bilateral meeting with President Vladimir Putin of Russia.

Tuesday: In the evening, following the G-8, the President and the First Family will travel to Berlin, Germany.

Wednesday: The President will have a meeting with President Gauck and Chancellor Merkel to discuss a wide range of bilateral and global issues.

Later that afternoon, at the invitation of Chancellor Merkel, President Obama will speak at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.

On Wednesday evening, the President and the First Family will return to the White House.

Thursday and Friday: The President will attend meetings at the White House.

Daniel W. Drezner (Foreign Policy): Why Obama is arming Syria’s rebels: it’s the realism, stupid.

…. is this the first step towards another U.S.-led war in the region? No. Everything in that Times story, and everything this administration has said and done for the past two years, screams deep reluctance over intervention. Arming the rebels is not the same thing as a no-fly zone or any kind of ground intervention. This is simply the United States engaging in its own form of asymmetric warfare. For the low, low price of aiding and arming the rebels, the U.S. preoccupies all of its adversaries in the Middle East.

…. Now let’s be clear: to describe this as “morally questionable” would be an understatement. It’s a policy that makes me very uncomfortable… until one considers the alternatives. What it’s not, however, is a return to liberal hawkery.

So, to conclude: the United States is using a liberal internationalist rubric to cloak a pretty realist policy towards Syria.

Am I missing anything?

Full post here

Steve Benen: It was just three weeks ago that President Obama made a persuasive case for closing the U.S. detention facility at Guantanamo Bay. He described a military prison that costs too much, has become an international embarrassment, and is filled with “people who have been charged with no crime.”

…. Last week, House Republicans once again barred the Obama administration from transferring detainees from Guantanamo Bay. Friday, against a backdrop of a terrible hunger strike, a Democratic effort to do the right thing was easily defeated in the face of mindless, reactionary conservative opposition.

More here

Ooooops:

Kurt Eichenwald: PRISM Isn’t Data Mining and Other Falsehoods in the N.S.A. “Scandal”

I can’t stand it.

A few days ago, I wrote in some detail about the National Security Agency’s data-mining program in hopes of calming the hysteria that has been whipped up in the last number of days by incorrect and misleading reports, as well as by plenty of ill-informed commentary based on those errors. At this point, I’ve decided that I need to tell a little bit more…..

See here

Tommy Christopher (Mediaite): …. Glenn Greenwald and his source, whistle-and-country-blower Edward Snowden, have completely taken over the political media with revelations that hype well, but don’t amount to much upon closer examination. Now, Greenwald promises more (and more devastating) revelations to come, but what has been revealed so far is about as alarming as an epidemic of Pac Man Fever….

…. That hasn’t stopped the media from going all Chicken Little, some because they’re desperate to “have the conversation,” some because they want to attack President Obama to prove varying types of cred, and some because they’d like even less fettering of the surveillance state. I think we do need to “have the conversation” about government surveillance, but it should begin in 1978, not last week, when the world discovered that the first black president was in charge of it….

Full post here

Michael Tomasky: Elijah Cummings Fights Back

Kudos to the Democratic congressman for standing up to Darrell Issa on the IRS investigation—and showing once again how conservatives refuse to sort fact from fiction.

This is becoming quite a throwdown between Darrell Issa, the wild-swinging GOP chairman of the House oversight committee, and Elijah Cummings, the ranking Democrat. Cummings is showing himself to be a pretty tough customer, and if this IRS “matter” (the media should either stop referring to it as a scandal or make it clear that the only scandal here is Issa’s reckless behavior) fizzles as quickly and lamely as it looks as if it might, it’ll be Cummings who’ll deserve a lot of the credit for breaking some of the silly protocols of Capitol Hill and calling nonsense nonsense….

Read here

LA Times: Six months ago Americans reacted with horror to the slaughter of 20 children and six school employees at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. Suddenly, gun safety legislation was front and center everywhere, including Washington.

Then in April, a recalcitrant Senate succumbed to pressure from gun manufacturers and the NRA’s leadership and failed to pass even the most modest measure, a bill to extend background checks to gun shows and Internet sales. The president was angry, the families of victims frustrated, and the moment for gun control seemed lost.

But the Senate vote was hardly the whole story. Since the Newtown tragedy, gun regulation has made enormous gains in states across the country, with more on the horizon. In fact, an unprecedented number of gun control laws have been introduced, debated, voted on and enacted this year. What a difference Sandy Hook and six months have made….

More here

ThinkProgress: This AP Article Is Everything That’s Wrong With Sensationalistic Obamacare Stories

Employers will struggle to comply with the new health care mandates, drop insurance coverage, increase costs, and lay off workers! Low-income employees will be subject to sky high premiums, a health care mandate they can’t afford, or go uninsured altogether!

Those are just some of the wild-eyed claims buzzing around the Affordable Care Act and its implementation. Consider this lede from Friday’s Associated Press: “It’s called the Affordable Care Act, but President Barack Obama’s health care law may turn out to be unaffordable for many low-wage workers…..”

…..But skip down to the end of the piece and you’ll find a curious quote from Neil Trautwein of the National Retail Federation, which represents the very employers the AP claims are going to take advantage of the health law’s impurities to increase health care costs for low-income workers while avoiding its penalties.

He appears to disagree entirely with the AP’s premise….

Read here

Okay, this made me smile…..

A year ago…

June 15, 2012: “We had just arrived at the helicopter landing zone in Chicago and instead of walking right to the motorcade, the President and First Lady walked past their vehicle to the edge of Lake Michigan to view the skyline of their home town.” (Photo by Pete Souza)

*****

Hey, it’s the second anniversary of the baby whispering:

June 15, 2011: “Call him the baby soother. At the Congressional picnic on the South Lawn, the First Lady held a young baby who began crying (top photo). The President then came over to hold the same baby and was able to quiet her down as the First Lady reacted in astonishment in the background of the bottom photo.” (Photo by Pete Souza)

MooooOOOooorning! Another short-ish R&S, will try and catch up with all the news I missed a bit later. Huuuuuuuuuge thanks again to the mega fab blog tyrants for yesterday’s posts.

185 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 COS
    June 15, 2013 at 9:53 am

Good morning Chips.

2. 5 COS
    June 15, 2013 at 9:53 am

Great round up.

3. June 15, 2013 at 9:54 am

Good Saturday Morning Chipsticks, TODers…Everyone!

I’m celebrating my birthday today! I feel extremely blessed to have made it through another year. :-)

Everyone enjoy your weekend. Meditate upon good thoughts. The more you do, the better your world will be.

4. 41 overseasgranny
    June 15, 2013 at 9:55 am

“US president Barack Obama will deliver a landmark speech in Belfast on his visit to Northern Ireland for the G8 summit of world leaders on Monday, calling on the people to finish the job of bringing peace to the region….more”

“Mrs Obama [and the daughters] will be shown archives in the Old Library of the university documenting her husband’s Irish ancestry and also view the Book of Kells….

5. 43 GGAIL
    June 15, 2013 at 10:01 am

Good West Coast Saturday morning Chipsticks & TOD family. What a great Rise n Shine Chipsticks!

6. June 15, 2013 at 10:01 am

Chipsticks, thank you for putting together another fantastic Rise and Shine. I hope everything goes okay with your computer and you are able to recover your data without having to go to a lot of expense. I feel your pain.

The “Baby Soother” video is one that always makes me smile. :-D

7. 57 ranman11
    June 15, 2013 at 10:03 am

Good Morning Ms. Chips and TOD. Happy Father’s Day to all.

June 15, 2013 at 10:03 am

Number one hypocrite is Sen. Jeff Merkley (D- Oregon) who once left an Obama Admin NSA briefing for TV time on Hardball; then he went on Alex Wagner’s show to whine about Pres. Obama and the program.

June 15, 2013 at 10:43 am

These bozos didn’t feel it was important enough to attend these meetings, but oh how they can get on tv and complain.

9. 60 MightyPamela
    June 15, 2013 at 10:04 am

{{{{{{Chipsticks}}}}}} YOU, m’dear, are a LEGEND! Brilliant post, you have outdone yourself… I think I am brought to tears by the words from this young American man, Sebastian, out of the mouths of babes. “Please do not pay attention to the negative people.” In the words of Maria Montessori, “Follow The Child”.

• June 15, 2013 at 10:07 am

Ah, Mighty P you are TOO kind – I’m not sure which has been malfunctioning more the last two days, me or my computer :???:

• 62 MightyPamela
        June 15, 2013 at 10:51 am

Well, neither, I shall gladly take that dilemma from you! Just this once, though, okay!? It is MightyPamela who is the major malfunction…but hey, today is a brand new day! :lol:

10. 63 anniebella
    June 15, 2013 at 10:06 am

What a nice Father’s Day message from President Obama.

11. June 15, 2013 at 10:07 am

Cost of Obama’s Trip is Dwarfed By George And Laura Bush’s Africa Spending Spree

By: Jason Easley
    Jun. 14th, 2013

As conservatives rage about the cost of Obama’s Africa trip, it is important to remember that George and Laura Bush made a combined 7 trips to Africa all on the taxpayers’ dime.

We’ve played this game before, but anytime the nation’s first black president spends more than a dollar, the right wing freaks out about Barack Obama “wasting taxpayer dollars.” Back in 2011, the right claimed that First Lady Obama’s Africa trip would cost taxpayers millions, but even if you use numbers that the White House disagrees with ($424,000), they weren’t even close.

This time the right has whipped up the fake outrage over a leaked document showing that President Obama’s upcoming Africa trip could cost $60-$100 million. What these same people don’t tell is that George and Laura Bush loved to go to Africa on the taxpayers’ dime…a lot.

During Bush’s second term alone, Laura Bush made five “goodwill” trips to Africa. President Bush made the trip twice during his presidency. Here is former First Lady Bush at an event the night before their trip in 2008, “Tomorrow, President Bush and I leave for what will be my fifth trip to Africa since 2001, and his second trip to Africa since 2001. I’ve seen the determination of the people across Africa — and the compassion of the people of the United States of America.”

Wow, that’s a lot of trips to Africa. In 2007, Laura Bush also took her daughters with her, and they went on a safari. You know, the same kind of outing that President Obama just canceled.

Not much was going right for George W. Bush. Even before the economy crashed, his legacy was 9/11, the unpopular Iraq invasion, and Hurricane Katrina. Back in 2003, Bush laid the groundwork for making aid to Africa his legacy. One of the areas where Bush drew praise was that he spent billions of taxpayer dollars on aid to Africa. It’s funny how conservatives don’t utter a peep about George W. Bush dishing out more than ten times the amount of taxpayer money on aid than Obama will spend on his trip.

Why could the country afford to spend billions of dollars during Bush’s no growth economy, but they can’t afford to spend at least $60 million for the sitting president to travel today?

June 15, 2013 at 10:34 am

The Today show didn’t even mention what G.W.Bush trips cost. I heard all about Obama trip, and something about Clinton trip, but not one word about what G.W. Bush trips cost.

June 15, 2013 at 10:08 am

Can’t wait for the return trip to Ireland. Happy memories!

June 15, 2013 at 10:08 am
  14. 71 a4alice
    June 15, 2013 at 10:10 am

“another short-ish R&S”? Ha! What a roll-out Chips! #FANTASTIC

Hope all is well in TOD Ville!

June 15, 2013 at 10:12 am
  16. June 15, 2013 at 10:20 am

!. If Naomi Wolfe is backing off, you really are toast and

2. I understand that baby. If President Obama held me, I’d get really quiet too and

3. I’m off to the naughty mat.

June 15, 2013 at 10:22 am

A bittersweet day for wifey unit and me. Packed off the daughter unit to the hostel today. Mom & daughter on the phone now for the past 1 hour. First time ever, she has been away from us.

Hate this flying the cop thingy.

June 15, 2013 at 10:25 am

{{{{{amk}}}}}

• June 15, 2013 at 10:28 am

It’s difficult, especially in the beginning. But you will be fine especially knowing that she is doing something positive; something you can be proud of. Hang in there!

• 84 amk for obama
        June 15, 2013 at 10:32 am

Thanks df. It does suck that both our kids are not in our home. We were dreading this day.

June 15, 2013 at 10:35 am

I’ll dread that day when it comes for me, too. I find myself thinking about it more often than I’d like…..on the one hand, they need to go off and learn to find their dreams and passions…on the other, my selfish wanting to have them near me always. I’m sure that you’ll be alright, but my heart goes out to you:)

• June 15, 2013 at 11:31 am

I am in the same position, amk, and I feel for you. It is harder than I thought possible to truly let go and I have a greater understanding of my mother encouraging me in my travels. You have a loving and close relationship with your daughter, and although you won’t be living with her you know that loving bond will always be there. You are lucky enough to have your wife to continue to share your life with and I know the two of you will adjust to this ‘new normal’.

• 87 amk for obama
            June 15, 2013 at 11:52 am

kindred soul !!! Thanks for the support, maryl, Gotta get used to the new normal indeed.

• June 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I understand what you’re going through amk. My son was living at school last year and he’s going to take some classes in Paris this Summer; leaving next week. Not easy to let go.

• June 15, 2013 at 10:40 am

amk, in one of my roles at UC, one of the things I did is hold a reception for parents while their children unpacked in their new dorm rooms. It was very bittersweet, with some breaking down in tears over the separation. As they drove off, I could see their kids would really miss them, too, but would do everything they could to hide it!

• 90 amk for obama
        June 15, 2013 at 10:46 am

Yeah, I know.

Daughter unit on my offer to come with her to the city she is moving in: “Dad, no thanks. You would embarrass me”.

And then takes a 6 hour train ride to that city. Calls me from the station: “Dad, could you sms me the taxi cab company phone no. that you told me was reliable?”

/smh.

• June 15, 2013 at 10:48 am

LOLz! See how they are?

I would see the new ones in my office a couple weeks into the quarter and they had HOMESICKNESS written all over them.

Hang in there, amk. They will be visiting you at first opportunity.

June 15, 2013 at 11:07 am

A friend of mine and his wife were dropping off their only daughter at her new college. On the way out, as they stopped at the security guard shack, the guard looked at their sad faces and said, “Don’t worry; your child will be okay.” And my friend responded to the guard, “It’s not HER we’re worried about.”

• 93 MightyPamela
      June 15, 2013 at 11:03 am

Deep breaths, amk and lovely wife… We have modern technology now, distance is shortened significantly. All change takes adjustment. (I admit the kids do better with it than the parents!) Hang in there, love knows no separation.

• 94 amk for obama
        June 15, 2013 at 11:05 am

Thank you, MP. We both know she is just an hour flight away. Still… This coming week is gonna be very tough.

• 95 MightyPamela
          June 15, 2013 at 11:11 am

Yes, indeed it will. It does seem to have happened rather quickly, as it feels you just announced her acceptance to the school very recently. Must have been a whirlwind time in your home. {{{{{amk&family}}}}}

• 96 amk for obama
            June 15, 2013 at 11:26 am

Yeah, the last two weeks have been pretty hectic for amk familia.

• 97 HZ
              June 15, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Amk and lovely wife, may this time be one of wonderful memories from your hearts to your lovely and smart daughter’s on her next journey that dad and mom have paved the way for her success. Celebrate the joy with her, but allow the beautiful memories of all the energy that she left in your home for you and Mrs. amk to cherish. Always remember what a beautiful young lady you both have shared through those beautiful moment of her life. She will have her moments as well. That is the bond that only loving and wonderful parents and children will have to carry them through their journey.

Now ((((((((((( May the sweetness of two beautiful parents surround her as she sets out to make another part of her journey wonderful for her loving and supporting parents.)))))))))))))) Many wonderful thoughts going forth for your wife, you, and your daughter. A Beautiful Moment In Time. She will hold you close to her heart for all of the moments that she will miss you as well. Great job, Mr. and Mrs. Amk.

• 99 Nena20409
      June 15, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Hold On

as Alabama Shakes sing.

18. 100 Jovie
    June 15, 2013 at 10:25 am

Walsh also says that the Democratic majority we had at the beginning of the Obama administration was something of a false majority, built as it was on the backs of blue dogs, who were virtual vetos of any real progressive legislation, and that the blue dogs are symptomatic of Democrats’ willingness to kowtow to republicon economic arguments since the Carter years.

Joan Walsh-

She has lost her mind! Me thinks, Joan would like to see Democrats take a beating in 2014.
    This might help her Girl get elected in 2016.
    Just my opinion, don’t freak out or anything!
    LOL!

June 15, 2013 at 10:29 am

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

20. June 15, 2013 at 10:34 am

I’m back to say that I take back what I said about Naomi Wolfe. I think she started off reasonably, but when you begin to make your living off conspiracy theories and “Big Brother” articles it’s in your interest to see conspiracies and Big Brother everywhere. So she’s either cynical or a lunatic. I guess 30 years of Republicans poisoning people’s minds about their government has paid off, convincing those on the extreme left to join them.

• 106 africa
      June 15, 2013 at 10:41 am

See my comment below. It is as if she is saying the guy is a plant by the government. That is some commitment to conspiracy theories.

• June 15, 2013 at 11:15 am

That is exactly what she is saying. The government planted Snowden there so he could leak what they are doing so WE KNOW they are Big brother spying on us because if we know what they’r doing we will be so scared we will stop doing it. Doesn’t seem to have stopped her or her paranoid commenters from commenting though. I couldn’t believe anyone would advance this as a theory.

21. June 15, 2013 at 10:35 am

Morning Chips and TOD. Love the President’s Weekly Address. What a wonderful role model we have as our CIC. We are truly blessed!

22. 112 africa
    June 15, 2013 at 10:38 am

Is anyone else as confused as I am by this Naomi Wolfe story? It as if she is saying Snowden is a government plant. That the story was planted. And what’s up with all this police state narrative.

If I am reading it correctly, then she is saying that Greenwald and the Guardian were duped as was the whole MSM that indeed the guy is working for the government?

Anyone?

• June 15, 2013 at 11:37 am

Exactly. We are living in a police state comparable to East Germany and the government planted Snowden so they could reveal their Big Brother activities so we would be even more scared and back off the anti-government facebook posts such as the one she just posted. Apparently the Stasi haven’t come for her yet. I also enjoyed the ‘brave Glenn Greenwald’ comments – blecch.

• June 15, 2013 at 11:45 am

I also thought it was pretty disingenuous of her to say that he ran to Hong Kong which as strong ties to the UK. Well, historically, but they have even stronger ties to the Chinese now!

23. 115 Jovie
    June 15, 2013 at 10:42 am
  24. June 15, 2013 at 10:46 am

These people are just straight up NUTS.

Faith and Freedom Coalition Conference: Most Bizarre Statements

Speakers at the Faith and Freedom Coalition’s annual “Road To Majority” conference Friday sought to spur social conservatives to get involved in upcoming elections – and made some bizarre comments in the process.

Here are some of the strangest:

“We gotta put some salsa sauce on the Republican party.” – Sam Rodriguez, president of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference, calling for more Latino outreach by the Republican party. He also encouraged delegates to “just reach out and grab that brown hand.”

[snip]

“College campuses are indoctrination camps for the abortion industry.” – Kate Obenshein, vice president of Young America’s Foundation, in a panel on advancing the pro-life movement. She also called Planned Parenthood “barbarians.”

[snip]

“[Allen West] is a real American … We should really take something from his gene pool and put it everywhere across this great country.” – actor and conservative speaker John Ratzenberger, best known as “Cliff” from the TV show “Cheers,” introducing West to the convention crowd.
    “We lost because Obama won crushing, lopsided majorities among Americans who are single, poor, irreligious … There are people who are all three.” – Michael Medved, conservative radio talk show host, on why Republicans lost the 2012 presidential election.

Please proceed, RWNJs!

June 15, 2013 at 10:54 am

For all you FBer’s :) Smartypants now has a page!

26. June 15, 2013 at 10:55 am

Good Morning All!!!

Chips! You seen this?

And I sent you this via Twitter. Thought you might like these pics for your graphics library: http://www.balloon-juice.com/2013/06/14/open-thread-1646/

27. 140 lisalovesobama
    June 15, 2013 at 10:56 am

Demonstrators in Hong Kong March for Snowden

Ps- two words: fuck them! They live in fucking Hong Kong where they can’t even take a dump without their government knowing and they have the ever loving nerve to march on the US Consulate in the name of freedom?! Bitches, worry about your own civil liberties, of which you have none, and stay the fuck away from America’s business. Idiots.

June 15, 2013 at 10:58 am

P.P.S. You nailed it, TYVM.

Mornin’, lisa!

• 146 amk for obama
      June 15, 2013 at 11:00 am

Now, tell us how you reeeally feel, lisa.

• 147 lisalovesobama
        June 15, 2013 at 11:08 am

Hiya, amk! You know how I do. ;)
        Ps- I read about your daughter. It must be bittersweet: she’s old enough to go out into the world and make a meaningful impact, but at the same time, she still feels like your little baby that you want to cuddle and protect forever. The good thing, is that she’ll always be your girl no matter where she goes or what she does. Happy Pappy’s day!!
        Ps- it’s early but,….. :)

June 15, 2013 at 11:14 am

Tell it like it tis lisa. And what do you want to bet these are paid demonstrators from the Government.

• June 15, 2013 at 11:26 am

One day they’re going to be running to that same spot for protection.

• 154 Vicki
      June 15, 2013 at 11:33 am

You are absolutely right, lisa and I think one of the reasons PBO has tried so many times and so hard to close Guantanamo is that how can we talk about fairness with that abomination open.
      WE someday somehow will close Guantanamo and eliminate the injustice and pain happening there as well as deprive our enemies of a target.
      So, GOP, what is your objection to closing G, really?

June 15, 2013 at 11:00 am

Happy Father’s Day weekend, to all of our TOD dads and grandddads and honorary dads – and to President Obama and Vice President Biden, of course!

Love,
    Me

June 15, 2013 at 11:03 am

Gunmen have attacked a hospital in the western Pakistani city of Quetta, hours after an explosion on a bus killed at least 11 female university students.

Hours later, gunmen stormed part of the hospital where the wounded were being treated, leaving at least 10 dead.

A senior city official was killed in the exchange. Security forces are surrounding the building,

Quetta is the capital of Balochistan province, which has seen a surge in militant violence in recent months.

Some attacks are carried out by separatists and others by Islamists who oppose women’s education.

Jeez, what a basket-case for a country.

30. June 15, 2013 at 11:09 am

Time for:

Why? Because I have to take my computer in for repairs ….. but it’s locked to the desk.

And could I remember where I safely put the key?

Until …… two minutes ago.

Whoooooooo hoooooooo!!!

Okay, carry on.

31. June 15, 2013 at 11:09 am
  32. 162 carolyn
    June 15, 2013 at 11:12 am

Any more info on the Iranian election?

33. 164 anniebella
    June 15, 2013 at 11:26 am

I sent a email to the Today Show and the Washington Post about their comments about the cost of President Obama trip to Africa.

June 15, 2013 at 11:30 am

They always do this B.S. when it comes to this President and his family. I heard Laura Bush will be in Africa also, are we the taxpayers paying for her security? I really don’t know, are we, are we paying for G.W., Clinton,?

• 166 MightyPamela
        June 15, 2013 at 11:38 am

I do believe so, anniebella, former presidents and family are guaranteed full protection from SS for life. I’m sure someone really smart on TOD will confirm this for us. So, even more reason for the 1% to pay their fair share, eh? They sure get plenty of freebies, even the ones who were failures.

June 15, 2013 at 11:44 am

The Secret Service is world-renowned for the physical protection it provides to the nation’s highest elected leaders and other government officials. To safeguard Secret Service protectees, the agency does not generally discuss the specific types and methods of its security operations.

In general, permanent protectees, such as the president and first lady, have details of special agents permanently assigned to them. Temporary protectees, such as candidates and foreign dignitaries, are staffed with special agents on temporary assignment from Secret Service field offices. All current former presidents are entitled to lifetime Secret Service protection. However, as a result of legislation enacted in 1997, President George W. Bush will be the first president to have his protection limited to 10 years after he leaves office.

The protection of an individual is comprehensive and goes well beyond surrounding the individual with well-armed agents. As part of the Secret Service’s mission of preventing an incident before it occurs, the agency relies on meticulous advance work and threat assessments developed by its Intelligence Division to identify potential risks to protectees.

Advances in technology and the world’s reliance on interdependent network systems also have changed the Secret Service’s protective responsibilities. No longer can law enforcement rely solely on human resources and physical barriers in designing a security plan; agencies also must address the role and inherent vulnerabilities of critical infrastructures upon which security plans are built.

34. June 15, 2013 at 11:27 am

New post in a bit-ish

June 15, 2013 at 11:46 am

Question of the day, to ponder:

June 15, 2013 at 11:50 am
    • 172 carolyn
      June 15, 2013 at 11:59 am

I couldn’t find Carville on that line…I guess he was too old. The new 44 tweets were all from RWNJs……saying things I couldn’t even imagine! Hatred and bile spilled all over the place……including a Congressman from Oklahoma, who is certifiably nuts. (I know…he’s from my state)

• 173 amk for obama
        June 15, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Oh, noez. That tweet is addressed to #tcot, the official internet racist maroons. Never click that hashtag. Just use it for mocking them.

37. June 15, 2013 at 11:51 am

GM Chips, TOD……..Chips here is an itinerary(not time specific but events) for FLOTUS/Girls in Ireland & Germany http://blogs.mcclatchydc.com/washington/2013/06/first-lady-and-daughters-to-do-their-own-events-in-ireland-germany-.html

38. 175 sherijr
    June 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Happy Saturday TOD.. thank you Chips for another lovely R & S- best of luck on your cpu issues.. I really hope it all works out. I’m off to watch my wee 5 year old granddaughter- “Princess” Rylie in a fashion show, a family friend is putting out a children’s clothing line and so rounded up all the kids to ‘show’ them off… but this is really for AMK: When my two eldest sons left home, it was so hard, I’d been a single parent all their lives and letting go wasn’t easy. But I did raise them to do just that- go out, be productive and happy citizens (and so did you) – thing to remember is that they ALWAYS come back and usually they bring these really cute and precious little people back with them called grandchildren. It is well worth the wait.

39. 179 Jovie
    June 15, 2013 at 12:04 pm
    June 15, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Breaking: Rouhani wins Iran presidential election.

Interior Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar announced that Mr Rouhani had won 18,613,329 of the 36,704,156 votes cast. This represented 50.68% of the vote.

Mr Qalibaf won 6,077,292 votes to take second place.

Mr Najjar said that any presidential candidates unhappy with the results would have three days to lodge complaints to the Guardian Council.

• 181 Nena20409
      June 15, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Wow. Thanks. Now isn’t that something? The Clergy tried so hard to micromanage and yet the people made their own decision and went on and selected a “Moderate”

June 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm
  42. June 15, 2013 at 12:38 pm
  43. 185 Waltjack
    June 15, 2013 at 2:01 pm

CNN: Rusell Brand on the NSA?? WTF ?