Jun

Chat Away

President Obama reacts as the sun comes out as he works alongside Britain’s Prime Minister David Cameron and students on a school project about the G8 summit during a visit to the Enniskillen Integrated Primary School

145 Responses to “Chat Away”

1. 7 Ladyhawke
    June 17, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Greenwald Conducts Online Chat with Snowden, Inflicting More Damage to Their Cause

By Bob Cesca

——————————

It seems that every time Edward Snowden emerges from hiding and communicates something through either Glenn Greenwald or other reporters from The Guardian, he loses credibility.
    Clearly Greenwald thinks exposing Snowden’s unscripted comments to the public will augment his source’s credibility, rather than simply providing evidence for Snowden’s previous claims. But it’s not working. Suspicions about Snowden as a paranoid conspiracy theorist and Ron-Paul-meets-Alex-Jones disciple aren’t being assuaged by Snowden’s own words, or by Greenwald’s murky coverage. Surely this is unintentional, but it won’t surprise me if more and more people begin to ask what they’re hiding beneath the obfuscation and growing weirdness.

————————————

Read more here …..

June 17, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Great piece…I just went to post it on the last thread…but you’ve beaten me to it…

• June 17, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Cesca and Charles Johnson (Little Green Footballs) have been all over this, and particularly skewering Greenwald. GG’s credibility as a “journalist” (what little he had) is dropping rapidly, except with this usual acolytes and the conspiracy theorists.

Snowden’s story wasn’t terribly credible to begin with, and the more information comes out, the more he makes himself look like a deranged idiot.

• June 17, 2013 at 7:33 pm

What a BRILLIANT PIECE!

• 13 Dudette
      June 17, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I say let ‘em keep talking themselves right into their jail cells.

2. June 17, 2013 at 7:18 pm

thank you so much TOD for bringing the wonderful of our First Family

3. 16 Layla
    June 17, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Boy! We certainly are keeping the blog tyrants very busy!!!! I salute you all!

4. June 17, 2013 at 7:21 pm
  5. June 17, 2013 at 7:23 pm

ok – I caught the end of the last thread, so I’m reposting here….

I am blown away with all the hysteria from this NSA stuff.

Even Randi Rhodes is over the top on it, and she’s usually over-informed about stuff.. So much of the press is repeating debunked info, no one seems to understand what metadata even is, most of what Snowdon says isn’t even true – that they can go back in time and all of your communication EVER has been listened to (unless there’s a bug implanted inside my head, I doubt it, considering I don’t only communicate electronically FFS.)

And almost NO ONE is talking about two things that I see as the bigger scandals:

1. That anyone of Snowdon’s level was given top secret security clearance by a PRIVATE COMPANY. How the fuck did that happen, and how many other people have simply SOLD that same info to foreign interests and made $$$, since it seems to be EASY.

How does that make them any different from Snowdon? Just because he went public does it make it better? Foreign interests still have the data, and he was still paid.

2. That Snowdon contacted Greenwald and Poitras BEFORE he ever set foot at his desk at Booz-Allen. (And how the fuck did he get that job to begin with.) That tells me he did all of this with INTENT. He knew he would violate the NDR he signed with Booz – which could land him in a shit storm legally with them for starters, never mind that what he disclosed was top secret US intelligence that like the Valerie Plame incident, likely put American lives in DANGER – how can anyone be okay with this?

Why didn’t he simply go to a member of Congress (like Ran Paul who hates this POTUS) or DRUDGE, or RUSH, or ANYONE whore enough to run the INFO without releasing actual military secrets….???

The rest seems to be either ignorance in the law itself, that everything was LEGAL (which by definition makes him NOT a whistleblower) – and if that’s a problem, in that you understand FULLY exactly how the technology works, and what/how it’s data-mining, (which seems most people haven’t a fucking cllue, and are taking Snowdon at his word instead of INVESTIGATING….), and once you have COMPLETE comprehension of how it works and why, then let’s have that conversation, without the hysteria, if that’s possible…..

Does anyone really believe their mobile phones and computers are secure? And that 99% of Americans give out their data voluntarily by clicking I AGREE on every user agreement?

HOW DID MY COUNTRY GET SO STUPID????

If some HUMAN is actually listening to my phone convos, reading my emails, and my web browsing habits (which they’re NOT), I apologize to their family, because they’ve likely died of boredom by now.

• 19 pkayden
      June 17, 2013 at 7:37 pm

“That Snowdon contacted Greenwald and Poitras BEFORE he ever set foot at his desk at Booz-Allen.”

Wow. This alone makes you wonder why anyone is taking him seriously.

• 20 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
        June 17, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Have been on that issue from the very moment Greenwald/Poitras spilled the timeline. They were so eager for portraying themselves as in the know early that they likely didn’t realize just how incriminating their statements are.

• 21 COS
      June 17, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I totally agree with you Tally. I mentioned it on one of the earlier threads. I started Thursday turning her off after the first hour. She was worse than ever today. She said Snowden did not have a choice. There is always a choice. I will start listening to Randi again when she gets this out of her system, but I can’t bear to listen to her day by day defending this guy and Greenwald. Not once did she question what they said.

• 22 57andfemale
        June 17, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Im so disappointed in her. for someone who talks about homework, she read the cdnet story and not the series of debunkings. shame on her.

• 23 theo67
      June 17, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Yes, I’ve had to abandon Randi Rhodes on this issue, too – as of last Friday. I heard her say that to not be outraged by the NSA scandal and the monitoring of private information is to be “unpatriotic”. If there are violations of people’s rights or illegal activity, then by all means, raise those up. But, come with solutions and alternatives, too. So far, I’ve heard a lot of misinformation, some hyperbole, some plain lying, and an awful lot of noisemakers. Technology has changed, and it’s a part of our everyday lives. People really should have expected that national security would need to cover this realm, as well. It’s just reality.

• 24 COS
        June 17, 2013 at 8:57 pm

This theo67.

• 25 carolyn
          June 17, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Frankly, I’m much less concerned with any government surveillance, than I am rabidly upset about the corporations’ intrusion in my life. Where do people think Amazon, etc. get all that info to send you “We thought you’d be interested in…….with your record of reading….” Have they had that epiphany yet, including, evidently, Randi Rhodes. How does she think she gets all those targeted ads in her email? Fairy dust???

6. June 17, 2013 at 7:28 pm

AND…..

From what it seems on most of the comments on this on the web – most people wouldn’t have a problem with Booz-Allen going after Snowdon for violating his NDR/Contract with them, but when it comes to the National Security of The United States, the country all of them propose to LOVE and would defend with every fiber of their being, they have all come to hate and mistrust their own Government so much, they feel entirely different about Snowdon, even if he put their lives in actual danger.

So what have we learned from this?

Business > US GOV

Congratulations Citizens United and the Kochs. Mission Accomplished.

• 27 sabreen60
      June 17, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Tally, I think it’s people like Katrina from the Nation and other more far left progressives that are still defending Snowden and of course Greenwald’s sycophants. So many articles from blogs e.g. The Daily Banter, Little Green Footballs, Bob Cesca have shown holes in Snowden’s story large enough to drive a Mack truck through them. People on Twitter were saying that Rachel Maddow didn’t mention Snowden’s name after jumping on the bandwagan and riding it for days.

7. June 17, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Former PBO spokesman does a deep dive with CIA head “Deputy President” John Brennan.

8. June 17, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Loving all the wonderful pictures and info!

9. 30 Jovie
    June 17, 2013 at 7:44 pm
  10. 31 Jovie
    June 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm

8pm Bloomberg channel Charlie Rose.

11. 35 criquet
    June 17, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Hee…..hee….hee…

12. 43 dotster3
    June 17, 2013 at 7:55 pm

The passengers on the United flight from Hong Kong to Newark likely have Snowden to thank for the ordeal they had to endure today. Passenger started yelling about NSA and CIA and the leaker and that he had poisoned everyone on flight and demanded that the flight be diverted to Canada—-because of the security leaks. Passengers restrained the out of control man and flight landed safely. An obviously troubled person influenced by all this Snowden hyperbole.

13. 44 Judith Fardig
    June 17, 2013 at 7:59 pm

So glad the Obamas are out in the world doing good and changing minds. What a train wreck GG and Snowden have started! Meanwhile, we in OFA keep our heads in the game of pressuring Congress to do something right for a change.

14. June 17, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Contrasting the relaxed demeanor of PBO with PM Cameron vs with putin

15. 46 Jovie
    June 17, 2013 at 8:03 pm
  16. 47 dotster3
    June 17, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Look what the producer of MSNBC’s The Cycle is tweeting. Why is msnbc using a cnn poll to slam President Obama? And if you ever wondered about the mindset of those directing and producing the programming on msnbc,—–voila!

• 48 Jovie
      June 17, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Cherry pick the worst one and go with it.
      It’s CNN turn for worst poll of the month award

• June 17, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Wow, MSNBC has really jumped the shark and I don’t even watch them. Idiots!

• 50 Layla
      June 17, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Obama has some explaining to do on the NSA!!!!!! Nooooooo the media has some explaining to do and apologize to POTUS!!!!!!

• 51 57andfemale
        June 17, 2013 at 9:53 pm

except the numbers on nsa are pretty good but of course that won’t get reported and the headline is a fabrication. only reactive posture from the administration ceded the last week to the haters. PBO drives me crazy when he does this and the dem’s have not had a coordinated, passionate response (color me surprised). It usually works out and Ill be patient, but it still drives me crazy. The party really has to learn how to seize a narrative

• 52 criquet
      June 17, 2013 at 8:35 pm

True response to this nonsense MSNBC Cycle producer is pushing:

• 53 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      June 17, 2013 at 9:12 pm
  17. 54 Jovie
    June 17, 2013 at 8:09 pm
  18. 55 arapaho415
    June 17, 2013 at 8:09 pm

The comments on the PBO-Putin exchange on previous thread had me in stitches.

Great job to all in covering both POTUS, FLOTUS and the girls on this trip!

Has this been posted?

19. 59 dotster3
    June 17, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Charlie Rose comes on at 1:30a.m. in my area. Geez—–not wide exposure.

20. 60 dotster3
    June 17, 2013 at 8:19 pm
  21. June 17, 2013 at 8:20 pm
    June 17, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I’m looking at Bloomberg tv online…and John MacInroe is on…

23. 65 criquet
    June 17, 2013 at 8:24 pm

“The US and Russian presidents have acknowledged at the G8 meeting in Northern Ireland they have a widely different stance on Syria, but did agree to push for a summit in Geneva.

After face-to-face talks, Barack Obama and Vladimir Putin said they shared a common desire to end the violence.

Both also said they were optimistic on Iran, after its presidential election.

Earlier, the G8 nations discussed the global economy, with the leaders agreeing world prospects remained weak.”

24. June 17, 2013 at 8:26 pm

BREAKING NEWS!!!! I’ve signed up 3 more teens for our Summer Reading Program than I had signed up all last summer. And it’s only the first day!

June 17, 2013 at 8:32 pm

why GG doesn’t want to be home in RIO….MASSIVE protests

photo/1

26. 72 Dudette
    June 17, 2013 at 8:40 pm
  27. 73 Dudette
    June 17, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Yeh Baby!!

28. 74 criquet
    June 17, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Don’t tell Chuck Todd , CNN or the Cycle but……

29. June 17, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Checked my PBS schedule. 11:30-12:30 here. I have my DVR set.

30. 80 criquet
    June 17, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Maybe Bill Clinton will get another award for this:

• 81 Dudette
      June 17, 2013 at 8:57 pm

LOL criquet! Please tweet that, so I can retweet it! :-)

• 82 amk for obama
      June 17, 2013 at 9:40 pm

That gladd award to bill was the height of hypocrisy and ingratitude displayed ever.

Many disagree with me here, but I’ll say it again, murka doesn’t deserve this man.

• 83 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        June 17, 2013 at 9:57 pm

You’re right, we don’t deserve him; however, God is merciful and gave us what we needed rather than what we deserved.

31. 85 arapaho415
    June 17, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Think of how much progress this country could have made if McCain had not selected the Tundra Twit as his running mate, unleashing the holy hell of ignorance that is the Tea Party’s guiding principle.

• 86 99ts
      June 17, 2013 at 9:26 pm

My sentiments too arapaho – Palin unleashed racist hatred that the dumb idiots used to validate their own racism and hate. That the media treats her as any way a viable person – let alone a politician – proves their own prejudice against a blah guy in the white house.

• 87 57andfemale
        June 17, 2013 at 9:59 pm

i’ve been saying this – McCain’s choice of Palin is singularly responsible for the tea party’s influence. may John McCain rot in hell for this.

• 88 theo67
          June 17, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Here, here!

• 89 99ts
          June 17, 2013 at 10:26 pm

She turned being a dumb racist into an art form – she played a major role in the GOP 2008 loss & also in the 2010 GOP win. Her attacks on democratic candidates culminated in the deadly attack on Gabby Giffords, her staff & constituents.

And Fox wants her back to do the same in 2014 – it is so hard to believe that the media gives her space – let alone money. A true example of all that is wrong with the USA. Those who recognize what she is – all that is good with the USA.

32. 90 MightyPamela
    June 17, 2013 at 9:26 pm

In total admiration of these Irish schoolchildren: it’s as if they paint murals with the British Prime Minister and the President of the United States as a routine school project!! They are all so much cooler than I would be!! :lol: :lol:

33. 93 arapaho415
    June 17, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Here’s today’s pushback to the clueless, uninformative and self-absorbed media writers who call themselves “DC journalists:”

I was so mad at this comment that I forgot “frenzy” and in “feeding frenzy” in this tweet:

response to upChuck:

34. 94 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 17, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Am convinced that the core of the entire Snowden/Greenwald/Poitras affair will be how Snowden coned those two into what must have been a rather elaborate effort to get him into #BoozAllen. What we are witnessing did not happen by chance and it seems far to many folk (none of them TODers, btw) totally missed this essential fact ….

… and what is so amazing is that Greenwald & Poitras, so driven by their pathological need for fame, were eager to be on record about that core, chronological fact.

35. 98 anniebella
    June 17, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Remember when POTUS and the Chinese leader met, I came across afew articles which said that the Chinese were insulted because Michelle didn’t come. Some even said Michelle were afraid she might be out shine by the Chinese First Lady. I thought it was B.S. then and I still think it is B.S., because our wonderful First Lady doesn’t have to back down to any other country First Lady, none! And today FLOTUS should why she is loved and respected all over the world. By the way what a nice introduction of the First Lady at the showing of the Riverdance by Mrs. Kenney. I don’t think I spell her name right, anyway you know who I’m talking about.

• June 17, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I wouldn’t give those bitter people a moment’s thought. It was Sasha’s birthday weekend… Michelle Obama doesn’t get paid by the people of America. She can do what she likes with her time and her money.

June 17, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Hi, you all!
    Good night, you all!

37. 104 carolyn
    June 17, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Does anyone else think the president does not seem horribly concerned about the GG/Snowden event? What does he know that no one else does? We know that every morning he gets an in detail security briefing.
    I know from a friend, that he READS every word of it every morning and asks questions, in contrast to the previous joker who wanted it summarized for him in a paragraph and explained.
    I do not believe this guy was totally under the security radar……..I am watching to see how this works out. Snowden sure isn’t getting the attention from PBO that I truly believe he desperately wanted.

June 17, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I’ve noticed that from the start. Even mentioned it here. I think that when you come from a place of facts and honesty…and the law is on your side….well, that’s the answer to our question. Those planes really DID fly into those buildings! Being naive isn’t going to help things.

• 106 jackiegrumbacher
      June 17, 2013 at 10:22 pm

You’re right Carolyn. I think that everything about GG/Snowden, including how he got hired by Booz Allen AFTER meeting with GG and who was paying him is well known by the NSA and the DOJ. Every piece of information he has or had access to is well-known. The pieces are being assembled against him and when the time comes, he will be duly tried and punished. PBO is miles ahead of these guys, has plans for the whole national security apparatus and will not ever allow himself to be flustered by people whose intelligence he does not respect, i.e., GG, or by a young twit who has pathetic delusions of grandeur. He’s been at this too long and has too much self control to become distracted by the attention whores. The Justice Dept is on the case and they they are formidable. Meanwhile, he’s concentrating on keeping Americans safe, dealing with an explosive situation in Syria and standing firm against a totally out of control Congress. The people who will lose food stamps and students who will pay higher loan fees matter a whole lot more to him than little Ed Snowden.

June 17, 2013 at 10:32 pm

The traitor’s Dad want him to come to the U.S. (it’s not his home) to face things like a man. Let’s see if the traitor will do so.

• 108 carolyn
          June 17, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I really do believe that Snowden wanted constant engagement and attention from PBO, and I know GG did. The President made one statement and left it.

38. 118 yardarm756
    June 17, 2013 at 10:11 pm

23 ADULT TRUTHS ******

1 Sometimes I’ll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is.

2. Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong.

3. I totally take back all those times I didn’t want to nap when I was younger.

4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.

5. How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

6. Was learning cursive really necessary?

7. Map Quest really needs to start their directions on # 5. I’m pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.

8. Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.

9. I can’t remember the last time I wasn’t at least kind-of tired.

10. Bad decisions make good stories.

11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren’t going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blue Ray? I don’t want to have to restart my collection…again.

13. I’m always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report that I swear I did not make any changes to.

14. I keep some people’s phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.

15. I think the freezer deserves a light as well.

16. I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Light than Kay.

17. I wish Google Maps had an “Avoid Ghetto” routing option.

18. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

19. How many times is it appropriate to say “What?” before you just nod and smile because you still didn’t hear or understand a word they said?

20. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front.

21. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty, but Jeans? Jeans never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.

22. Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the Donkey – but I’d bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time.

23. The first testicular guard, the “Cup,” was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took 100 years for men to realize that their brain is also important.

Ladies…..Quit Laughing.

• 119 amk for obama
      June 17, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Couldn’t resist it, mate.

• 123 theo67
      June 17, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I love these. I can totally relate to the one about folding the fitted sheet. Cruel and unusual punishment!

June 17, 2013 at 10:38 pm

HAHAHA! Folding the fitted sheet:) I remember my Home Ec teacher in 7th/8th grade TEACHING AN ENTIRE LESSON on how to fold a fitted sheet. I must’ve rebeled, wondering why only GIRLS had to learn this shit! Today…it gets “folded” and put in the linen closet…close enough, works for me!
        You brought back memories…

• 125 theo67
          June 17, 2013 at 10:47 pm

My mother is the only person I know who can fold those things. She’s given up on me in this area…

• 126 Layla
      June 17, 2013 at 10:33 pm

7. Map Quest really needs to start their directions on # 5. I’m pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood I am laughing so hard at this one!!!!!!!!

• 127 Dudette
      June 17, 2013 at 10:36 pm

LOL! 11 and 13 — my life at work! :-)

39. 128 WilTal
    June 17, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Wow, wow, and wow – 24 hour coverage of the First Family’s trip. Chips, I can’t thank you, your blog tyrants, and your regulars enough for all of the wonderful content provided. I am teary-eyed looking at the beautiful photos and listening to the speeches by FLOTUS and POTUS. My heart is overflowing with pride and love for this family. I am so very proud that a black family has an opportunity to live in the world of the highest office in the land…what a blessing to witness!

Thanks again.

40. 130 Jovie
    June 17, 2013 at 10:18 pm
    June 17, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Isn’t the President adorable?

Oh, I mean, thank you, President Obama, for representing us in other lands. Hurry home!

42. 137 anniebella
    June 17, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Let me go see what time Charlie Rose come on, I believe it’s 11pm but I better check so I can be sure.

43. 138 anniebella
    June 17, 2013 at 10:28 pm

What is FLOTUS and the girls schedule for tomorrow?

44. 142 GGail
    June 17, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Chipsticks, thank you for all of this great coverage that I get to see now that I’m home.

My goodness, President Putin looks like a squirming little boy who has to sit next to his daddy after he did a bad thing and explain what he did wrong :-( Hahahahahaha!

45. 143 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    June 17, 2013 at 10:37 pm

One-term Tom is hell bent on destroying our Commonwealth!

• 144 0388jojothecat
      June 17, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I was just talking to someone asking me what is wrong with PA? They are asking companies to estimate sales tax payments and if you over estimate they don’t have an easy way to credit the overpayments. I say, move your operations to California or another Blue state.

46. 145 Jovie