Jun

Hello South Africa

The First Family arrive in South Africa, June 28

Saturday – President Obama:

* On Saturday morning, President Obama takes part in a formal arrival ceremony in Pretoria

* Participates in a bilateral meeting and joint press conference with President Jacob Zuma of South Africa

* Holds a town hall for Young African Leaders at University of Johannesburg – Soweto Campus

* Participates in a joint Embassy and Consulate meet and greet

* Meets with African Union Chairperson Dr. Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma

* President Obama and President Jacob Zuma of South Africa participate in an official dinner

Saturday – The First Lady:

* The President and First Lady will visit Pretoria where the First Lady will meet with Mrs. Tobeka S. Zuma, First Lady of South Africa

* Later in the afternoon in Johannesburg, the First Lady will host a conversation with youth, organized in conjunction with MTV Base, an African youth and music TV channel, and Google+. The First Lady will be joined by teenagers from across South Africa, as well as students joining virtually in cities around the U.S. via Google+ Hangouts, including in L.A., Kansas City, New York City, and Houston

* Watch this event live: WH.gov/FLOTUSinAfrica & the White House Google+ page

* In the evening, the First Lady will join the President for a dinner hosted by President Zuma

Full Africa schedule at WH.gov

For all posts on the Africa visit, see here – ‘Senegal: The Day in Images’ here and this morning’s Rise and Shine here

More later

136 Responses to “Hello South Africa”

1. June 28, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Great shots. Michelle is beaming.

2. 9 Ceb
    June 28, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Wow, that was fast!

3. 11 MightyPamela
    June 28, 2013 at 3:09 pm

HELLOOOOOOOOOO to our Beautiful First Family, and Hellooooooo to my TOD family. Whew.

4. 16 Roberta in MN
    June 28, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Congrats on 1st Layla, and Chips, Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the great coverage of this trip and all of is trips you do for us on this site. We are really spoiled, at least I know I am. The pictures taken in Senegal at the Slave market, I had such chills and empathy looking at the pictures of President Obama and First Lady Michelle, it is such a sad part of our history. I have read a lot(in my younger years) on our American history and the Slave trade, the indentured servants weren’t treated much better. (((((hugs)))) to all our TOD friends. Love Roberta

June 28, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Hel-lllooo Chips, and South Africa! Seems like I timed my arrival well-ish. :grin: Gone to check if I did or not.

Ooops! Hell-ooo TODvillage! I’m told ‘better late than never,’ so I guess all’s goood! ;)

• June 28, 2013 at 3:31 pm

HelllllLLLLLLlllloooooooooo VC – you late bird!

June 28, 2013 at 3:37 pm

/darn! rats! zut! – I can rarely slip in when I’m really, really late without tripping CC’s vc-alarm./

/sheepishly/ Yes Ma’am, I am late-ish. /perking up/ But don’t worry, I’m ready for duty, AND, I came in time for the SA shift! :grin:

June 28, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Okay, so where is the sensor placed? I WANT to know! Actually, wait, no problemo; when Snowden is finished ranting to Russia, Ecuador or wherever he’ll be so bleary-eyed and alone he might be desperate for someone, anyone to listen to him. He’ll know where it is.

June 28, 2013 at 3:55 pm

By the way, I like this red turtle. I’m told red looks good on me. ;)

6. 24 Layla
    June 28, 2013 at 3:23 pm

AP
    WASHINGTON — The Senate’s Republican leader is telling major league sports: Don’t play with “Obamacare.”

Following news that the administration has approached the NFL and other sports leagues to help promote new insurance coverage under President Barack Obama’s health care law, Sen. Mitch McConnell fired off a letter Friday crying foul.

The letter went to the NFL, MLB, the NBA, the NHL, the PGA and NASCAR.

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said this week the administration is talking with the NFL and other groups to help promote the benefits of health insurance.

Uninsured people can start signing up Oct. 1 under the health care law.

• June 28, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Republicans are so ugly and nasty. It’s amazing.

• June 28, 2013 at 3:45 pm

“The Kentucky Republican wrote that leagues risk damaging their inclusive and apolitical brand and could be seen as taking sides in a highly polarized debate,.”

Number one the debate is over. Obamacare is the law of the land. Number two what would a man who just voted against immigration reform know about inclusive?

• 27 elo4obama/biden
        June 28, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Thank you! All I got out of my mouth was…@#!!!ing debate is over idiot! It’s LAW, it’s constitutional, flippin idiot. Where’s his@#!! phone number? Damn republicans!!!!!!

June 28, 2013 at 3:50 pm

What has that ugly nasty Mr. Mitch McTurtle have to do with this? Other than wanting to see Obamacare fail.

• 29 jackiegrumbacher
      June 28, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Interesting Layla, that the only “polarized debate” is in McConnell’s mind. The debate is closed; ACA is the law and it will be implemented. There are no sides to take and the sports leagues can do anything they choose to support the law of the land.

• 30 MightyPamela
      June 28, 2013 at 6:13 pm

What a nerve, what a stupid man he is… Show your true colors, Mitch, there’s an election coming up next year, and you won’t believe how fast you will be forgotten.

7. June 28, 2013 at 3:27 pm

This is some bull right there.

• 32 Mellesia Barnett
      June 28, 2013 at 3:30 pm

WTF? Seriously

• June 28, 2013 at 3:36 pm

This article is written by an emoprog (who is also Black), and probably has some hidden personal beefs with President Obama, like his other emoprog counterparts, West & Smiley.

This sarcastic sentence in the article told me all I need to know: “Has the symbolic power of our crowned black prince Barack Obama so thoroughly robbed Black America of our special obligation and gift to always speak truth to power.”

Crowned Black Prince?

This term invokes the same feeling as the terms “Dear Leader,” “Messiah” “Obot” etc. I sense this writer has an agenda – a nefarious one. And using Chris Hayes of all people as a beacon of light for Blacks to follow when it comes to addressing race issues is not just misguided – it’s downright outrageous.

• 34 CEB
          June 28, 2013 at 3:41 pm

No one was saying Black folk should speak truth to Bush or any other president. Such BS, always trying to get A-A’s to turn on each other like crabs in a barrel. People like this guy, Corney and Tavis, need to stfu. They are all enriching themselves at the cost of A-A’s.

• June 28, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Exactly. I don’t see Chris Hayes “reminding” his white Limousine Liberal friends/colleagues of their own prejudices and double standards when it comes to this same President. So why should Hayes take it upon himself to “remind” Black people of anything where PBO is concerned?

This is just so offensive on so many levels.

• 36 Layla
      June 28, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Please proceed Chris….

• 37 Layla
        June 28, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I have an idea for you Chris…..why don’t you paint your face black for that segment, I mean, just to show you care!

• June 28, 2013 at 3:40 pm

The article was not written by Hayes – it was written by a Black blogger who is citing Hayes as someone that Black people should listen to when it comes to issues of NSA and domestic spying etc. The timing of this article is suspect because many Blacks and/or PBO supporters have stopped watching MSNBC since Hayes was promoted to the 8PM slot, and many of them cite reasons related to his negativity about PBO.

So this article is a not-so-subtle attempt to shame PBO supporters (esp. those who are Black) into accepting Hayes’ interpretation of Obama’s surveillance methods.

It’s a LOAD of bullshit.

• 39 Bill
      June 28, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Chris Hayes is becoming the worst emoprog in the MSM, the Young Turk does not count as he has single digit viewers.

• June 28, 2013 at 4:04 pm

In other words why aren’t we coming to Edward Snowden’s defense? Because he’s a traitor. That and the fact we realize all this stuff has been going in since 1978.

• 41 jackiegrumbacher
      June 28, 2013 at 4:27 pm

HF, this goes beyond bull. It is the most arrogant, insufferable, bigoted statement I’ve seen in a long time. Chris Hayes doesn’t have the credibility of a gnat. I twill be a good day when his miserable show finally goes off the air.

• 42 MightyPamela
      June 28, 2013 at 6:14 pm

“Forced”??? Huh?

8. June 28, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Hi, TODers… I am really struck, following all this, at how ABSOLUTELY AMAZING Sasha and Malia are! All that traveling; coming and going in the middle of the night; meeting all kinds of new people; continually (apparently) respectful of,and interested in, other cultures, and what’s important to other people; always smiling; hardly ever seen on their cell phones; and on and on and on…

How many teenage girls can anyone name who have this much aplomb, courtesy, and flexibility? I’m sure it’s all “fun” to jet around on AF One, but I’ve known girls that age who whine when their condo at whatever resort doesn’t have wi-fi; who complain ceaselessly about having to leave their boyfriends, or girlfriends, to go with their family ANYWHERE; who can bicker and bitch about just about anything. If these two are doing any of that, it certainly isn’t apparent.

This, along with so much else, says so much about the kind of people this family is, and what their values are: Respectful, of themselves and others; dignified; kind; open; caring; and absolutely first class. I’m impressed! (But that’s not new…)

Gato

• 44 pkayden
      June 28, 2013 at 3:37 pm

They are very well raised girls. Not surprising given their parents. Hope other teenagers look at them as role models.

• June 28, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I agree with you gato, about the girls. They conduct themselves so graciously, which reflects well on POTUS, FLOTUS, First Grandma, but most importantly, on Sasha and Malia themselves.

• 46 CEB
      June 28, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Remember when Jenna Bush, who was college-aged at the time stuck her tongue out at reporters? The Obama girls are much more mature in their behavior. Yet it became national news because someone said that the girls looked bored at some point in Ireland. Double-standard all around and we know why.

• 47 susanne
      June 28, 2013 at 4:53 pm

well said, gato. the obama daughters are wonderful young women, and we are so proud of their representing america’s youth abroad!

• 48 Puddin'
      June 28, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Michelle Obama is their mother…Miche don’t play. I love it. Not to stay our wonderful and marvelous President doesn’t have a hand in the girls impeccable upbringing, but my friends and I can relate to the First Lady’s parenting style…we were all raised by mothers just like her :-)

9. 49 Mellesia Barnett
    June 28, 2013 at 3:31 pm

The @GOP just tweeted that we should "allow" women to rise to the top. Democratic women DO rise to the top. We don't need permission.— D Wasserman Schultz (@DWStweets) June 28, 2013

• 50 Layla
      June 28, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Oh shit!!!!! Have to put my helmemet back on!

• June 28, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Well, it is better to apologize afterwards, then to seek permission beforehand, anyway :-)

BWAHAHAHAH, Go Sisters !

• 52 CEB
      June 28, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Alllow? WTF!! This patriarchal bull shit needs to end sooner than later. They must not be aware of the statistics on how more women there are with degrees than men. Colleges have also practiced gender-based affirmative action on the behalf of boys for at least 15 years or more.

10. 53 Dakota
    June 28, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Was Donna finally freed of the beast on her porch?

• 54 donna dem 4 obama
      June 28, 2013 at 3:51 pm

• 55 Layla
        June 28, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Oh no darling!!! Off to work tomorrow then…pisser! Well, just stay logged in to TOD and we will all help you through the day!

• June 28, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Donna ….. what’s the wuffy latest?

• 57 donna dem 4 obama
          June 28, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Animal Control has been a total no-show. My sons wanted to leave work and rescue me but I wouldn’t let them. The husband should be in from work very soon but a thunderstorm has arrived so the dog that doesn’t pay rent decided to leave my front door and has taken up residence under my husbands truck in the driveway because I guess he doesn’t want to get his whittle paws wet. Ugg :roll:

• 58 COS
            June 28, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Donna, you are doing the right thing by staying inside. Several pit bull attacks have occurred here in Southern Cal. A cousin of mine was attacked a few years ago. Listening to her tell the story was scary.

• June 28, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Crikey, this is weird, he seems to have decided to move in with you. And not impressive from Animal Rescue, but I suppose they get so many calls every day. What a bizarre day for you Donna, I hope it all works out – stay safe.

• 60 Layla
            June 28, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Just in case you nothing to do while you are waiting…

• 61 donna dem 4 obama
              June 28, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I thought you couldn’t post links. Ignore my instructions below. :oops:

• 62 Layla
                June 28, 2013 at 4:35 pm

No Donna this is an exception! I cannot post links from articles!!! I read your instructions and I can do that except it comes out at real jibber jabber, not a link…call me crazy but do some articles not have a link at the top.;.. I just tried again but found no link!!! Confused.

• 63 theo67
        June 28, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I can’t believe you’re still waiting! Are any neighbors in danger as they walk past, or is the dog in some kind of enclosed area? Where are the authorities!?

Stay safe. Don’t go out there with that dog – they’re unpredictable.

• 64 donna dem 4 obama
          June 28, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Although I am just minutes from DC I sort of live in the “country” and the homes are quite a distance from each other.

• 66 Dakota
      June 28, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Awww! Sweetie! I’m so sorry! (WP is tripping today. I hope you get this reply.)

• June 28, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Hiya Dakota, there were typos in your name and email address, that’s why the comment ended up in pending!

• 68 Dakota
          June 28, 2013 at 5:39 pm

What normally happens is that when I enter the first letter of my email, the entire email addy shows up and I can enter it. The same with my name. Some days, I do that and it’s totally blank. I assumed I could do the same as above and enter my post, but I guess not. This never happens on my laptop, only at work…gee, I wonder why? I guess I’ll just have to fight my urge to post at work…yeah, right.

11. 69 Bill R.
    June 28, 2013 at 3:39 pm
  12. 70 pkayden
    June 28, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Thanks to TOD for all of these lovely photos/videos of President Obama (and his family) each and every day. This is one website that I must go to at least once per day just to boost my spirits. And thankfully all those “scandals” have died down — even in the useless media.

13. 71 nospin
    June 28, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I have to share an 11 year old South African poet’s performance on Nelson Mandela. Her name is Bothale. She won the 2012 South Africa’s Got Talent

• June 28, 2013 at 3:49 pm

WOW – she’s amazing. I can see why she won the entire competition. :)

Thanks nospin for sharing with us!!

• 73 nospin
        June 28, 2013 at 3:52 pm

she is wonderful hopefruit. When I first saw her, I immediately shared all her videos with my girls who are her age. Wonderful just wonderful spirit. Check out the second video I shared. Amazing little girl.

June 28, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I had ‘forgotten’ Bothale. Nospin, I don’t know if you were the person who brought her to my attention about a year or so ago (I guess), but thanks for bringing her back – and in such a timely manner too. Thanks!

• 75 ChristiMTL
      June 28, 2013 at 4:28 pm

She is too precious!!….I love it

• 76 nathkatun7
      June 28, 2013 at 9:27 pm

She is absolutely amazing!

14. 77 Layla
    June 28, 2013 at 3:49 pm

AP

NEW YORK — Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s remark that police “disproportionately stop whites too much and minorities too little,” as compared with suspects’ descriptions, is prompting criticism from police reform advocates and some mayoral candidates.

Bloomberg made the comment Friday on WOR-AM. City lawmakers voted Thursday to make it easier to bring racial profiling claims against police.

Eighty-seven percent of the hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers stopped, questioned and sometimes frisked in recent years were black or Hispanic. These groups comprise 54 percent of the city population.

Bloomberg says the appropriate comparison isn’t to the population, but to the suspects’ descriptions. More than 90 percent of killing suspects are described as black or Hispanic.

The group Communities United for Police Reform calls Bloomberg’s view misinformation, noting that most stops aren’t spurred by descriptions.

• 78 utaustinliberal
      June 28, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Can you please put the links whenever you post about an article? It doesn’t help when there’s no link to read the full story.

• 79 Layla
        June 28, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I try and try ut, but every time I do it the writing turns into jibber jabber,,,do not know what’s wrong…pls tell me your process to post a link, if you wish

• June 28, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Copy the URL in the browser and then paste it here in the comment box under the text you’ve already pasted. That should work.

• 81 utaustinliberal
          June 28, 2013 at 5:22 pm

If you’re using a computer or any other device, you just right click on the URL in the address bar, click copy to copy the URL of the article in the address bar at the top of the computer and then come to the TOD comment box and right click again then click paste. The link will appear.

• 82 Layla
            June 28, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Thanks ut! Just spent 40 minutes on the phone with my son..the problem was the way the laptop was set up hence not getting the link or a jibber jabber link. So now all I can do is post the link with no excerpts from the story Hell! I cannot even have 2 sites open at the same time.Sorry if I irritated you with my non links.

• 83 COS
      June 28, 2013 at 4:07 pm

This is ridiculous. What kind of stats is he looking at? It is time for Bloomberg to retire and spend those billons somewhere on the beach. He is losing his mind. I sure hope that he doesn’t try to buy a 4th term.

15. 84 nospin
    June 28, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Had to share the very first video of Bothale from South Africa’s got Talent. This is when I fell in love with this 11 year old South African poet. She is amazing.

• 85 sherijr
      June 28, 2013 at 4:03 pm

WOW Wow wow. She is amazing. thank you for bringing this here, I’m in love too. I

June 28, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Yes, this was the first video I saw of her and it was shared here in the village about a year ago as I thought (in my comment above). Again, thank you, Nospin for ‘sharing’ Bothale when you found her! Sharing young people doing negative ‘stuff’ is so much more widespread than sharing those who are doing wonderful, uplifting things. Achievements/talents like this make me feel enriched, as well as hopeful of our future.

• 87 nospin
        June 28, 2013 at 4:56 pm

hi vcprezofan2. I am not sure if I was the person that did that initial post last year but I do know I shared her video far and wide. She is such a positive inspiration. I love love love her. So, with this post highlighting South Africa and the conversations around Nelson Mandela, brought her to mind and so I had to share once again.

June 28, 2013 at 5:03 pm

{{Nospin}} I THANK you for the very, very timely reminder. It perked me right up – and I was perky already. :grin: :grin:

• 89 HZ
        June 28, 2013 at 5:50 pm

“Achievements/talents like this make me feel enriched, as well as hopeful of our future.”

vc, you said it so beautifully. Thank you. I am in water-works overflowing. The tears of joy are so worth spending from my soul! HZ

16. 91 Layla
    June 28, 2013 at 4:07 pm

HP
    Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter says religious leaders, including those in Christianity and Islam, share the blame for mistreatment of women across the world.

The human rights activist said Friday religious authorities perpetuate misguided doctrines of male superiority, from the Catholic Church forbidding women from becoming priests to some African cultures mutilating the genitals of young girls.

Carter said the doctrines, which he described as theologically indefensible, contribute to a political, social and economic structure where political leaders passively accept violence against women, a worldwide sex slave trade and inequality in the workplace and classroom.

“There is a great aversion among men leaders and some women leaders to admit that this is something that exists, that it’s serious and that it’s it troubling and should be addressed courageously,” Carter said at an international conference on women and religion.

The 39th president is hosting representatives from 15 countries at The Carter Center, the human rights organization he launched in 1982 after leaving the White House.

The Mobilizing Faith for Women event emphasizes to world leaders that religious institutions can be forces for equality, he said.

Nations represented at the Carter conference include Afghanistan, Botswana, Egypt, Iraq, Malaysia, Nigeria, Senegal and the Sudan. Carter mentioned widespread oppression in many of nations where iterations of Islam dominate, but also had criticism for the developed Western world where Christianity is the strongest cultural influence.

A common thread, he said, are “gross abuses of religious texts in the Koran and in the Bible, Old Testament and New Testament. Singular verses can be extracted and extorted to assert the singular dominance of men.”

• 92 donna dem 4 obama
      June 28, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Layla, if you go to the top of your article where the page address is and right click on the address and then click copy come back here and right click, then click paste it will give you the link to the story. This way we get to read the entire article and you only have to post a couple of pertinent paragraphs here.

I hope this helps.

• 93 Lynn
        June 28, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I tried, Donna. I’m doing something wrong. Again, but thanks for trying to help Layla and me. (Didn’t mean to ‘hitchhike’ along uninvited.)

• 94 jackiegrumbacher
      June 28, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I love Jimmy Carter. He’s never afraid to speak the truth as he sees it. He’s kept going year after year doing every he can to achieve justice, fairness and equality.

• June 28, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Layla,

Just to add to Donna’s help, the “page address” is called the URL. The URL (universal resource locater) is located in what is called the browser. So the URL for this is http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/28/jimmy-carter-women_n_3516823.html and it’s located in your Internet Explorer (or Chrome or some other) browser.

Follow Donna’s instructions for copying the URL and pasting it here. Hope that helps.

17. June 28, 2013 at 4:10 pm
    • 97 jackiegrumbacher
      June 28, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Don’t have much hope that PA’s Republican Senate can do anything right. PA’s state government is a mess from the Governor’s mansion on down. We need a wholesale clean out in 2014,

18. 98 forus50
    June 28, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Wow, what a gorgeous family! They always look beautifully chic and they wear the clothes – not letting the clothes wear them. I never thought when he first announced of the pride we all could have of seeing this lovely First Family on the world stage.

Speaking of lovely, how about this classy letter between two hockey towns? The Blackhawks took out a full page ad in the Boston Globe today with this letter:

An Open Letter to the Boston Bruins Organization & the City of Boston

Hockey is a tough game. As impressed as we were by the strength, talent, and competitive spirit of the Boston Bruins on the ice, we were deeply touched by what happened off the ice. Rarely have we experienced the hospitality you afforded us throughout the playoff series between two incredibly gifted teams.

On behalf of the Chicago Blackhawks organization and the entire Wirtz Corporation, we want to personally express our heartfelt appreciation to your city, the Bruins organization, and especially, the citizens of Boston for the remarkable welcome you showed our team and the many Chicagoans who visited.

From Boston’s political leadership to every member of the Bruins organization, from the players to the people on the street, you demonstrated respect, good sportsmanship, and a genuine love for the great game of hockey.

Like the rest of the world, Chicagoans have been reminded in recent days of Boston’s strength. Please know we tip our hat to your city’s big heart and gracious spirit. You lead by example and have set the bar very high for others to follow.

Respectfully,
    The Chicago Blackhawks

19. 102 ChristiMTL
    June 28, 2013 at 4:26 pm

She is just like her father…..mocking Rachel Jeantel……disgusting…..ugh!…

photo/1

20. 110 Nena20409
    June 28, 2013 at 4:26 pm

The Late Miriam Makeba…..Pata Pata

• 111 Nena20409
      June 28, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Sorry…..this was a video by the late George Carlin in 1996….it is funny…..but not what I was trying to post. Carlin was not too happy with those against abortions……like Perry and his ilk……for they offer nothing to the women when they need help.

21. 112 57andfemale
    June 28, 2013 at 4:31 pm
  22. June 28, 2013 at 4:31 pm

The things you find in pending:

“i’m concern about what is excactly Obama doing in SA. Is he here to switch off the supporting matchin for TATA?”

:roll:

23. June 28, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Take the Impossible “Literacy” Test Louisiana Gave Black Voters in the 1960s
    By Rebecca Onion
    Posted Friday, June 28, 2013, at 12:30 PM

This week’s Supreme Court decision in Shelby County v. Holder overturned Section 4(b) of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, which mandated federal oversight of changes in voting procedure in jurisdictions that have a history of using a “test or device” to impede enfranchisement. Here is one example of such a test, used in Louisiana in 1964.

After the end of the Civil War, would-be black voters in the South faced an array of disproportionate barriers to enfranchisement. The literacy test—supposedly applicable to both white and black prospective voters who couldn’t prove a certain level of education but in actuality disproportionately administered to black voters—was a classic example of one of these barriers.

The website of the Civil Rights Movement Veterans, which collects materials related to civil rights, hosts a few samples of actual literacy tests used in Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi during the 1950s and 1960s. In many cases, people working within the movement collected these in order to use them in voter education, which is how we ended up with this documentary evidence.

June 28, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Just to put this in horrific context, timewise, I graduated from high school in 1964 and I’m still kickin’. Trouble is: racism still kicks, too.

June 28, 2013 at 5:37 pm

10 minutes to do 30 questions to prove a 5th grade education? I particularly ‘liked’ question #28, which would probably have taken all of my 10 minutes (if I had started from the end; the only way I’d have gotten to it). There must have been whites who had not finished a 5th grade education too. Not that it matters now but anyone knows if they also had to take the test?

I know we often say we need to know our history, but I confess that once having seen ‘A’ particular example of hatred and bigotry in action I find I have no stomach to see that example again. Part of my aversion to a repeat viewing being I know what is going to happen and to have to see again man’s inhumanity to man does something to my insides. Case in point, someone suggested last night that the networks should have shown ‘ROOTS’ again as part of the lead-in to PBO’s Africa visit. I actually found myself muttering ‘O no! Thank God they didn’t!’

24. 123 Linda
    June 28, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Just days after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the Defense of Marriage Act, a landmark case for gay rights, a Detroit judge’s new decision will improve the quality of life for same-sex couples in Michigan.

On Friday, U.S. District Judge David S. Lawson issued a decision that a law banning school districts and local governments from offering health benefits to domestic partners of public employees is unconstitutional.

According to the Lansing State Journal, Lawson stated that there was a “plausible claim” that the law, which was signed by Gov. Rick Snyder (R) in 2011, violated the Equal Protection Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

“It is hard to argue with a straight face that the primary purpose — indeed, perhaps the sole purpose — of the statute is other than to deny health benefits to the same-sex partners of public employees,” Lawson said, according to the Associated Press. “But that can never be a legitimate governmental purpose.”

The state’s claims that it has financial benefits for the state and follows the will of the people “come close to striking (the court) with the force of a 5-week-old, unrefrigerated dead fish,” he added.

The ACLU of Michigan challenged the law, which affected all unmarried employees, on behalf of five LGBT public employees last year.

According to the ACLU, the law still allowed insurance for other family members including cousins, uncles and nephews.

June 28, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Nospin shared South African talent Botlhale (whose name I misspelled above) reciting a poem about Pres. Mandela, so being me I went to refresh my memory with her other performances. Here is her winning SA’s Got Talent performance. I WONDER IF SHE WILL BE PERFORMING FOR THE OBAMAS? It would be so sweet and so appropriate to have such a young, talented South African doing the honours and I feel sure the O-girls, and the family, would be deeply touched and inspired by Botlhale’s obvious deep understanding and love for her homeland.

26. June 28, 2013 at 5:03 pm
  27. 127 Jovie
    June 28, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Elise Viebeck – 06/28/13 03:00 PM ET
    Sens. Mitch McConnell and John Cornyn say sports leagues should not promote ObamaCare given its “divisiveness and persistent unpopularity.” …

Hmmm!

28. 128 JER
    June 28, 2013 at 5:16 pm
    June 28, 2013 at 5:19 pm
  30. 130 Linda
    June 28, 2013 at 5:24 pm

New Rule :

No more Zimmerman Trail allowed.

31. 132 Jovie
    June 28, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    June 28, 2013 at 5:31 pm

This policy is malicious and dangerous. This is in essence the definition of racial profiling.

33. 135 Jovie
    June 28, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Consumer confidence reaches a post recession high.