Jun

Rise and Shine: South Africa

Greeted by South African president Jacob Zuma and First Lady Tobeka Zuma at the Union Buildings in Pretoria

The Rest of the Day in South Africa:

All times US Eastern

9:30 AM: The First Lady hosts a conversation with youth, organized in conjunction with MTV Base, an African youth and music TV channel, and Google+. The First Lady will be joined by teenagers from across South Africa, as well as students joining virtually in cities around the U.S. via Google+ Hangouts, including in L.A., Kansas City, New York City, and Houston

WH.gov * WH Google+ * Also live on YouTube

9:50 AM: President Obama takes part in a Young African Leaders Initiative Town Hall, University of Johannesburg – Soweto

White House Live * YouTube

11:55 AM: President Obama meets with African Union Chairwoman Dr. Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma

2:05 PM: The President and First Lady attend an official state dinner with President Zuma, Union Building, Pretoria

More live streaming links for today:

Reuters * CBS (UStream) * CBS (Widget) * eNCA (South Africa)

The press conference:

AP: President Barack Obama on Saturday encouraged leaders in Africa and around the world to follow former South African President Nelson Mandela’s example of country before self, as the U.S. president prepared to pay personal respects to relatives who have been gathered around the critically ill anti-apartheid icon.

“We as leaders occupy these spaces temporarily and we don’t get so deluded that we think the fate of our country doesn’t depend on how long we stay in office,” Obama said.

…. Obama referred to Mandela by his clan name as he praised South Africa’s historic integration from white racist rule as a shining beacon for the world. “The struggle here against apartheid for freedom, Madiba’s moral courage, this country’s historic transition to a free and democratic nation has been a personal inspiration to me, it has been an inspiration to the world,” Obama said.

“The outpouring of love that we’ve seen in recent days shows that the triumph of Nelson Mandela and this nation speaks to something very deep in the human spirit, the yearning for justice and dignity that transcends boundaries of race and class and faith and country,” Obama said. “That’s what Nelson Mandela represents, that’s what South African at its best represents to the world, and that’s what brings me back here.”

Zuma told Obama he and Mandela are “bound by history as the first black presidents of your respective countries.”

More here

Ari Shapiro (NPR)

President Obama and South Africa’s President Jacob Zuma hold a joint news conference

This is an incredibly powerful video, the First Lady talks about the First Family’s visit to the ‘House of Slaves':

First lady Michelle Obama walks with Marieme Faye, wife of Senegal’s President Macky Sall, to Air Force One as the first family departed Dakar, June 28

A man wears a t-shirt with a portrait of President Obama outside the Pretoria hospital where Nelson Mandela is being treated

A group of wellwishers sing and pray for the health of Nelson Mandela outside the Pretoria hospital

SAFRICA-HEALTH-POLITICS-MANDELA

A mural showing former South African President Nelson Mandela is pictured near his former house in Alexandra township

MooooOOOOoooorning everyone – and thank you again to the earliest of early birds, the mighty UT. More in a while.

141 Responses to “Rise and Shine: South Africa”

1. 1 CEB
    June 29, 2013 at 8:47 am

An Official Good morning to TOD

2. June 29, 2013 at 8:48 am

Got to see the speech this morning

3. June 29, 2013 at 8:52 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone, and congrats CEB on #1 :)

4. 10 africa
    June 29, 2013 at 8:53 am

Good morning all. Beautiful R&S, Chips.

5. June 29, 2013 at 8:53 am

Good Morning Chipsticks, TODers…Everyone!!!!

(Repeating from last post) Taking advantage of the downtime I have this morning to catch up on the President’s trip to Africa, as well as the other news that is taking place. I am loving the pictures from the the First Family’s travels in Africa. Thanks to you and the other blog tyrants and TOD contributors for the pics, videos, tweets, and links. I don’t have to worry about not being on hand to see the different events because I know I can come here to catch up on everything I’ve missed. :-)

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

6. 12 CEB
    June 29, 2013 at 8:54 am

I love the way that FLOTUS is holding hands (in her famous double-clasp) and leaning in closely as she speaks with Senegal’s First Lady. This is a sign that a bond was formed during the visit.

• 13 africa
      June 29, 2013 at 9:14 am

Love that she is wearing that dress, too.

• 14 arkluvspbo
      June 29, 2013 at 10:20 am

I am so thankful the Obamas are our First Family — can you imagine Lady Laura holding hands with the First Lady of Senegal….at least not as warmly as Michelle Obama.

7. 15 donna dem 4 obama
    June 29, 2013 at 8:57 am

Good Saturday Morning Everyone!

The wild Pit Bull saga has ended. Animal Control just picked him up and said they will attempt to find a home for the dog. They say he probably was dumped out here since we live in a more rural area. Such a shame. What a weird 24 hours!!

Thanks everyone for keeping me sane during my imprisoning.

Have a great day!!

• June 29, 2013 at 9:00 am

Hi Donna, glad to hear that the saga is over and you are now free to come and go as necessary :) Hope they are able to find him a good home. Enjoy your weekend!

• 17 Bill
      June 29, 2013 at 9:03 am

Only a Republican would dump a dog.

• 19 africa
      June 29, 2013 at 9:13 am

Hey, Donna, I am glad you are OK. But you know, because I don’t know the back story about what’s been going on, for a moment there when I saw, “The wild Put Bull saga has ended…Animal control just picked him up…..” I thought you were talking about the WH press corp before I read further.

But I am glad you are fine.

• 22 CEB
      June 29, 2013 at 9:16 am

Donna, so glad they finally got there. Hope the rest of the weekend is much better.

• 23 amk for obama
      June 29, 2013 at 9:17 am

I thought you had moved. :)

Hope the poor thing finds a good home. What kinda heartless animal dumps a pet just like that?

• 24 a4alice
      June 29, 2013 at 9:30 am

yay donna – wow animal control took quite awhile to get to your house. geeze. I have family that are farmers and they tell me stories too of how people from town just dump their unwanted animals out on the roads by their farms. Really a shame. Glad you are safe! :-)

• 25 Layla
      June 29, 2013 at 10:12 am

Dog gone it Donna!

8. June 29, 2013 at 9:01 am

Good morning everyone. What a beautiful rise and shine, especially the video narrated by Flotus. This visit has already generated great interest, inspiration and sentiment. It is joyous and tearful at the same time.

June 29, 2013 at 9:11 am

My first time seeing it this morning and you are so right Almablanca about the video of POTUS and FLOTUS visiting Goree Island.

9. June 29, 2013 at 9:04 am

10. 32 Roberta in MN
    June 29, 2013 at 9:04 am

The sound is not there for the news conference. So we have another video? Good Morning everyone. Congrats on 1st CEB.

June 29, 2013 at 9:07 am

Great pictures Chiparoo.

12. June 29, 2013 at 9:14 am

That video is incredibly powerful:

13. June 29, 2013 at 9:18 am

Gooooodd morrininggggg, Chips and TODville!!

Oh my goodness, what a treasure trove of information and visuals. THANK YOU so much to all the blog tyrants for their constant updates and aggregation of incredible multi-media. The video of FLOTUS narrating their trip to Goree Island is so beautiful, so unique – a MONUMENT to HOPE. WOW.

OK, who’s got the freshly brewed coffee!!

14. 46 africa
    June 29, 2013 at 9:21 am

Chills. This is so powerful.

More than 20 years ago my husband (before we were married) and several AA journalists traveled to Senegal. He went to the door of no return. I’ve been scrambling this week looking for the picture he took there.

15. June 29, 2013 at 9:22 am

The President’s townhall has been pushed back to 9:50 so it won’t completely overlap with the First Lady’s Google Hangout:

16. June 29, 2013 at 9:26 am

Live YouTube link for the First Lady’s Google hangout:

17. 52 Layla
    June 29, 2013 at 9:30 am

Good morning all! It is so sad that millions of Americans are being deprived of all of this historical information due to the ridiculous media! Thank you Chips, you are wonderful!

18. June 29, 2013 at 9:41 am

June 29, 2013 at 9:43 am

A pleasant Good Morning to my fellow TOD’ers

June 29, 2013 at 9:48 am

Town Hall is starting!

23. 58 carolyn
    June 29, 2013 at 9:49 am

That video of Goree Island narrated by FLOTUS is indeed very powerful. I hope it is shown in schools all over the country.
    Something hit me listening to her, when she said, “Who would think that I, a descendant of slaves…..” that hit me right in the heart and stomach, and made me think, that every time they see her, or see her, certain people are reminded of this, and they have yet to deal with this stain on our country. This realization keeps them responding in such horrific ways.
    I firmly believe there are people who still think slavery was just fine, as it gave them power. They have not accepted at all that “all men are created equal.” We see this today in the suppression of voting rights, in the rush to reinstate those voting tests and restrictions, in the rush to regulate women’s lives and reproduction. To think that all this is happening in the 21st century is appalling beyond human imagination.
    We keep hoping this will die with an older generation, but some of that older generation have passed these cruel feelings on to some of their children.
    Some time I will write about tracing my grandmother’s family in Texas, and the shame I felt, but that is for another day.

• 59 Jewelz
      June 29, 2013 at 10:01 am

Very well said,Carolyn. The video brought me to tears. Please refrain from reading the comments below the video because it’s been hijacked by teabaggers.

June 29, 2013 at 9:49 am

what’s in a (middle) name ? A funny read.

June 29, 2013 at 9:50 am

Townhall host: The elections of Nelson Mandela and Barack Obama both ” … have had a profound impact on the African continent.”

June 29, 2013 at 9:53 am

So endearing how President Obama gets the exact same applause from the young people in every country he visits! And the one he leads!

26. June 29, 2013 at 9:50 am

The Google + Hangout is starting just as the Townhall. So we will have to watch one after the other.

27. June 29, 2013 at 9:54 am

What a reception for the President! They cheered and sang!!!

28. June 29, 2013 at 9:54 am

Just so you are aware – BBCNews & BBCNewsUS has been posted stock photos and pushing a very questionable narrative about anti-Obama “protests” in SA. There are is no live footage and you can hardly discern anything from one picture to the next. But they’re sticking with their bullshit narrative. Wonder who is funding this “project?” Hmmm….

• June 29, 2013 at 9:57 am

The protests are weird Hopefruit, a strange collection – lots of anti-Israel banners, people accusing PBO of being part of the ‘New World Order’ – :roll: – people blaming him for global warming, of looting Africa, etc. Lots of anti-war protests too.

• June 29, 2013 at 10:02 am

Yes – have you seen any live footage? I only see a random and incoherent collection of signs, people – whose faces are deliberately obscured, and other parts of the picture blurred so that people can’t tell where or when the so-called protests occurred.

• 71 cos
          June 29, 2013 at 10:12 am

I read an article about this yesterday, and it appears that these are the type of protestors who will protest about anything, They are everywhere. They are even protesting against the non closure of Gitmo.

• June 29, 2013 at 10:20 am

Have you seen any live footage of the protests? I am extremely skeptical that I haven’t seen any thus far. And the photographs accompanying the articles seem VERY sketchy – they look like stock pictures randomly pulled from a variety of protests over the years at different events. Some of those protests may not have had ANYTHING to do with PBO – but they are being used anyway.

I have reached a point where my distrust of the media (including some “world” media) is so profound, particularly where President Obama is concerned, that I take the pains to give their articles more than a surface reading before I can accept the veracity of the reports.

• 73 cos
              June 29, 2013 at 10:37 am

No, I have not seen any live footage here in the U.S.

• June 29, 2013 at 10:44 am

You haven’t seen any live footage because there aren’t any real protests going on to speak of. There aren’t any real protesters to talk to be shown live on TV expressing their grievances. These articles are pure propaganda and nothing else, and the pictures are stock photos pulled from previous events.

• June 29, 2013 at 11:03 am

In the session just now with the Young Leadership Initiative students, a student asked a question referring to the protesters outside.

• June 29, 2013 at 11:50 am

That last student sounded a bit scripted to tell you the truth, almost as if his question were written for him by a US emoprog. To ask this question the very week after PBO gives a big climate-change speech (which the media conveniently buried) sounds a bit too staged for my comfort.

Also, notice that the student was not specific about anything regarding the environment – he was all over the place and constantly used the term “American foreign policy” conflating that with environmental issues. Then of course he was a bit too hyped up mentioning the protests outside. I can tell the difference between questions asked in earnest and the agenda-driven ones.

• June 29, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I know what you mean – I put some of it down to sounding stilted in a foreign language and in a high-pressure situation. I thought he might be a member of a campus group that opposes or worries about what they know of U.S. environmental policies. However the young man was at least polite and PBO seemed to take it in good part. It didn’t seem to be a ‘gotcha’ question.

• June 29, 2013 at 11:10 am

Koch, adelson & murky murdoch?

29. June 29, 2013 at 9:55 am

Can’t believe they’re making us choooooose between POTUS and FLOTUS!! WWAAAAAAAA

30. 81 anniebella
    June 29, 2013 at 9:55 am

FLOTUS is starting too.

31. 82 MightyPamela
    June 29, 2013 at 9:55 am

Hi all, back in a few hours, after ‘the departure’… *sheds a tear*…

June 29, 2013 at 9:56 am

I love President Obama with all my heart.

Just had to let y’all know!

33. June 29, 2013 at 10:02 am

34. 93 anniebella
    June 29, 2013 at 10:03 am

It’s not fair to have POTUS and FLOTUS speaking at the same time. Not fair! Not fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

• June 29, 2013 at 10:06 am

Unfortunately, I don’t think it was possible to do it any other way – their time is so limited – but thankfully, the talks are archived, so if we miss one, we can always view it later today.

June 29, 2013 at 10:12 am

I’m going back and forth to POTUS and FLOTUS, I would like to slap the blank out of whoever had them on at the same time. Darn it.

• June 29, 2013 at 10:16 am

I feel your frustration, but this may have been unavoidable because are time constraints. It’s inconvenient ror us in a way, but we can always watch one or the other later.

June 29, 2013 at 10:26 am

Hopefruit2, don’t take me to seriously. Hopefully I can watch them both later. But I am enjoying going back and forth. Now back to POTUS. See you later.

June 29, 2013 at 10:04 am

Don’t you just love the smile on the faces of those leaders that the President highlighted? I do.

36. 99 overseasgranny
    June 29, 2013 at 10:07 am

If we had never, ever had slavery, it would have been a wonderful thing. However, then we never, ever would have had Barack Obama as our President. I am working with ancient slavery in Ireland and it was bad mostly before Christianity arrived, but also afterwards, and I guess I am very conscious of it and its ramifications at the moment.

June 29, 2013 at 10:13 am

This is not a topic we can ever forget – or ignore. We’re all together on that, no matter what country we’re living in!

37. 101 anniebella
    June 29, 2013 at 10:19 am

Now back to FLOTUS.

June 29, 2013 at 10:19 am

President Obama explains he felt it was not the optimal time for him to visit Kenya, due to the new administration’s getting underway, but that he has “three years and seven months left” of his presidency, and sounds like he’ll be visiting at a later time! So glad that question was asked, so he could respond in his usual, straightforward manner.

June 29, 2013 at 10:20 am

Here is that video the President mentioned – his first Town Hall with young African leaders held at the White House. Zizi brought it to my (TOD’s) attention recently. I draw your attention to the section at approx. 11:10-15:56 or so. Looking at this again last night I suddenly realized from PBO’s answer in this section that China might have gotten their economic foot into Africa (first?) but they went in via the ‘old’ people. PBO and his team reached in to the young people – the future; in keeping with his long view.

June 29, 2013 at 10:23 am

It strikes me that the President is in teaching mode here, teaching several different ‘members’ in the audience!

June 29, 2013 at 10:25 am

I should have said teaching at several different levels (instead of ‘members’).

• June 29, 2013 at 10:33 am

I agree vc, and can’t help but notice that the townhall has a very good dynamic. The young people are respectfully asking questions – coming from a place of earnestness and a desire to genuinely learn from a world leader in other to help move their respective countries forward.

There is mutual respect, no political talking points or single-issue agenda. No heckling, no self-righteous accusations, no defensiveness. American press, please take note.

June 29, 2013 at 10:30 am

It’s hard to keep up so I don’t know if this has been said, but have you guys noticed how those who address the President do so with respect, using his title?

42. June 29, 2013 at 10:31 am

Smart questions from these young people in SA, Kenya and Uganda. All focused on country trade relations.

43. 109 Jovie
    June 29, 2013 at 10:31 am

Mr president why didn’t you go to Kenya?
    Couldn’t you have snuck in a visit?
    Are you abandoning Kenya?
    Will your relatives be mad in Kenya?
    Kenya, Kenya, Kenya…

Really?

June 29, 2013 at 10:34 am

45. June 29, 2013 at 10:35 am

46. 115 sherijr
    June 29, 2013 at 10:38 am

I love his townhalls more than anything… having them in different countries has been a brilliant idea.. and something I hope he will do even after his Presidency.

• June 29, 2013 at 10:39 am

That would be excellent – wouldn’t it? :)

• 117 sherijr
        June 29, 2013 at 11:03 am

absolutely, I have never failed to learn from him at these townhalls.. and I doubt I’m alone. I see him in the future putting amazing things together to benefit/ prepare future leaders of the world.. and these townhalls are perfect methods of connecting. Although I would have liked far more questions :)

• 118 cos
      June 29, 2013 at 10:50 am

I totally agree with you sherjr. I love to see him command the stage with ease answering questions.

June 29, 2013 at 10:41 am

May I say that I am just bursting with pride watching our President walking back and forth, COMFORTABLY answering questions and putting the U.S official stance out ‘there’, ALL WITHOUT NEEDING AN ADVISER AT HIS SIDE whispering what the answer should be? (We need a ‘PROUD’ smiley.)

• 120 sherijr
      June 29, 2013 at 11:04 am

You’re not alone vc.

• 123 Lovepolitics2008
      June 29, 2013 at 11:25 am

So true. Impossible to imagine any of the past republican presidents nor any of the mediocre potential republican presidential candidates come near the brilliance and depth of character of President Obama.

Incredible intelligence and competence, vision, realism combined with optimism and resilience, patience, empathy, honesty, integrity. He has it all.

If there was such a position of “President of the World”, he would be the obvious choice. He’s a leader for the ages.

• 124 Lovepolitics2008
        June 29, 2013 at 11:29 am

Added note: Many democratic presidents were very intelligent and competent, but Barack Obama has something more: profound moral integrity, and a boundless, unselfish, true love for all humanity.

June 29, 2013 at 10:44 am

June 29, 2013 at 10:53 am

50. 127 criquet
    June 29, 2013 at 10:53 am

Morning all.

Interesting read:

• 128 carolyn
      June 29, 2013 at 11:02 am

Finally, the right questions are being asked publicly. I’m sure these questions have been tracked for answers within the FBI and CIA at least.

• 129 Nena20409
      June 29, 2013 at 11:04 am

It is about TIME.

The Main Point of this so called Story.

• 130 Bill
      June 29, 2013 at 11:05 am

Thanks that is a good read. Wonder where Snowden is now. He is not walking around in the Moscow airport eating airport food. Someone would have seen him.

51. 131 anniebella
    June 29, 2013 at 10:55 am

FLOTUS program is over, now I will head back to POTUS. But I want to say I have enjoy both POTUS and FLOTUS, And today it just show me again how bless we are to have this President and First Lady. I am so proud of them. So dam proud.

52. 134 Nena20409
    June 29, 2013 at 11:03 am

Good Good Morning TODers……it looks like I have missed quite a bit.

Thanks for all the articles, Tweets and photos.

Hardly any of the detailed coverage here is found any other place. Thank You, TOD.

Happy for You, Donna. The Pitbull crisis is Over.

53. June 29, 2013 at 11:04 am

GM Chips, TOD…

54. 136 Don
    June 29, 2013 at 11:07 am

My god what an awesome town hall, the young people in Africa are so advance in their thinking as it relates to issues dealing with education, finance, and the environment. I challenge the media and more specifically the press to engage President Obama on the same level as the young people of Africa did.

55. June 29, 2013 at 11:08 am

Public Integrity Unit is reviewing the date change on the abortion regulation in Texas. Doesn’t look like it will go very far, however.

56. 138 CEB
    June 29, 2013 at 11:08 am

I started with FLOTUS, caught the last half of her speech and the first questions, then raced over to PBO’s Town Hall. OMG! the Obamas are so gifted and we are sooooo lucky to have them. Their presence onthe world stage has not been matched.
    PBO mastered that Town Hall. His breadth of knowledge is breath-taking; his confidence, courage and empathy are without equal. FLOTUS’ passion, conviction, love and humor shown through and opened hearts and minds. I am always so proud of our First Couple and they way in which they represent us daily, but on these foreign trips their skills and the beauty of simply who they are just shines forth even more. We are a lucky people to be represented by them and to be able to bear witness (mostly through the lens of TOD). I sound like a fan girl, but I do not care.

57. 140 lisalovesobama
    June 29, 2013 at 11:11 am

That last guy to ask about climate change was interesting. He kept saying “American foreign policy.” It took me a while to figure out he was talking about CC. good grief. He was kinda funny, not hahaha, but funny like, ‘ I don’t quite know what to make of him.’ He was like, ” I want you to tell these young people, they are your children bout American foreign policy towards the environment.” Hm. Funny guy.

• June 29, 2013 at 11:52 am

His question sounded real scripted to me. There was nothing specific in his question – sounded like a bunch of talking points. And of course, mentioning the protests outside makes for a lovely media soundbite!!

RSS Steve Benen