Jul

Night Owls: Throwback Days

Tonight, we’re looking at original music and another artist’s take on the song. Tell us your favorites. :D

*****

U2 – Love Is Blindness

*****

Jack White – Love Is Blindness. I prefer Jack White’s version because the rage, pain, and passion in his voice is raw and real. It feels like Bono is gently reminiscing about a past relationship while Jack White is caught up in a turbulent maelstrom and you experience the wonder yet pain of love.

*****

Amy Winehouse – Back To Black

*****

Andre 3000 feat. Beyonce – Back To Black. This one is a tie for me. They’re both so good. The original filled with despair by the great Amy Winehouse and the funky take that has more spunk in it; besides it’s the freaking amazing Andre3000 from Outkast taking on an Amy Winehouse song. That just blows my mind.

*****

Rolling Stones – Sympathy For The Devil

*****

The Neptunes – Sympathy For The Devil. The original is nice but tame. I prefer The Neptunes take because the beats and arrangements make you understand why the allure of the devil and sin is soooo good and yet sooooo bad.

*****

*****

The Band – The Weight

*****

Aretha Franklin – The Weight. The original is nice but kind of ho-hum. I prefer Aretha Franklin’s version because she turned the song on its head and gave it that beautiful soul vibe. That woman has a voice!

*****

98 Responses to “Night Owls: Throwback Days”

1. 2 Don
    July 3, 2013 at 10:51 pm

UT, anyone other than The Stones doing “Sympathy for The Devil” is sacrilegious.

July 3, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Agreed:)

• 4 utaustinliberal
      July 3, 2013 at 11:09 pm

So not true. The Neptunes did it better than the Rolling Stones. The Stones didn’t convey the grittiness and allure of the song. Their take is tame.

• 5 Don
        July 3, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I’m sorry, for a moment there I thought you said that one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time was somehow upstaged by Pharrell and Chad.

• 6 utaustinliberal
          July 3, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Truth is truth. I like the Stones but their take on Sympathy For The Devil was too tame for what the song actually meant. If you’re going to sing about the allure of the devil, then have beats and sound that draw people in; instead of making them yawn.

• 7 Don
            July 3, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Well then by your logic any one of a hundred Heavy Metal bands would sound better than the Stones.

• 8 utaustinliberal
              July 3, 2013 at 11:28 pm

There are awesome heavy metal bands the Stones sampled from. Truth is truth. If there is no passion in a song that is trying to convey the allure of the devil and evil, then it failed. It’s a nice song, but it’s tame.

• 9 Don
                July 3, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Listen pilgrim, I was there in the lab when break-dancing was invented. I had the first boot-leg copy of Luther Ingram’s “If loving you is wrong, I don’t wanna be right.” I was a twelve year old parking attendant working Teddy Pendergrass concerts with my older brother, I know music. Now “The Neptunes” they ain’t nothing to sneeze at, but they don’t belong in the same sentence with “The Stones.”

• 10 utaustinliberal
                  July 3, 2013 at 11:47 pm

That just means you’re old. The Stones sampled from a lot of bands and acts. If you’re going to sing about the devil, then make it worth something. Not some tame song. The Neptunes captured the seductive allure of why people fall for evil. The Stones didn’t. The Neptunes have critical acclaim just like the Stones but the Stones version of the song is blah. There’s no weight behind it.

• 11 4morefor44
                    July 4, 2013 at 12:22 am

guessing i might be between you two in age, and not even that big of a stones fan, but i’m kind of in shock about what you’ve been writing here. ‘sympathy’ was a seminal song that helped change the entire direction of rock and roll. that’s not hyperbole. my god, there was someone actually killed within 20 feet or so of the stones shortly after they played it at a concert in altamont in 1968, and you’re suggesting the song is “tame?” (warning: graphic):

i have several n.e.r.d. albums which i like and i like pharrell as a person, but a remix is a remix. there’s skill in remixing but really, i don’t see how it can be compared to the artistic skill it takes to craft a song, musically and lyrically, from scratch which the stones did with ‘sympathy,’ let a lone a song that becomes an important part of history. i was confused for a second since at first i thought i accidentally clicked on the stones version. guess i should just sign off for the night and we’ll take up defending the obama family tomorrow from attacks from republicans and “the news.” FORWARD!

• 12 utaustinliberal
                      July 4, 2013 at 12:47 am

I don’t care what happened at some long ago concert. The Stones sucked the life out of Sympathy. The Neptunes gave it passion and life. Truth is truth.

• 13 utaustinliberal
                      July 4, 2013 at 1:08 am

N.E.R.D. is different from The Neptunes. They’re two different groups. Get it right.

• 14 4morefor44
                      July 4, 2013 at 1:29 am

uh, yea, sure…not really.

“N.E.R.D. (the acronym of No one Ever Really Dies, stylized as N*E*R*D) is an American rock, funk, and hip hop band. Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo were signed by Teddy Riley to Virgin Records as a duo, The Neptunes. After producing songs for several artists throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s, the production duo formed the band with Shay Haley as a side project of The Neptunes in 2001″

by the way, pharrell and i are the exact same age to the month, so you might want to consider chilling out on all your dismissive “old” talk.

• 15 utaustinliberal
                      July 4, 2013 at 1:51 am

N.E.R.D. is different from The Neptunes. N.E.R.D. has three guys in the band. It’s an off shoot of The Neptunes. They don’t produce the same type of songs as the two guys – Pharrell and Chad – from The Neptunes. You might be the same age as Pharrell but you’re wrong on The Netpunes and N.E.R.D. and using Wikipedia? Really? Wikipedia? Which anyone can doctor?

N.E.R.D. is not The Neptunes. Anyone who truly knows the music and style of The Neptunes, knows that. It’s common knowledge.

July 3, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Now, now. I think it’s a generational thing…I thought this video was good…I’m just partial to the Stones

• 17 daisydem
            July 3, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I am 63 years old, not a big Stones fan until about 20 years ago when my son at about 19 re-introduced me to them (as he would subsequently do Springsteen). The Stones are the Stones! Nothing else to say!

• 18 utaustinliberal
              July 3, 2013 at 11:48 pm

They sucked the life out of Sympathy For The Devil. The Neptunes did better justice to the song.

• 19 4morefor44
                July 4, 2013 at 12:27 am

the stones CREATED ‘sympathy!”

• 20 utaustinliberal
                  July 4, 2013 at 12:44 am

They sucked the life out of it. There was no passion behind the song. No reason why anyone would be drawn to doing bad. The song was tame. The Neptunes did a better job.

• 21 4morefor44
                    July 4, 2013 at 1:01 am

so the stones simultaneously gave it life, then sucked the life out of it, in your opinion. then 45 years later a couple of guys sitting in a room with a fancy computer, copy almost exactly what mick and the boys created from scratch and alter it slightly adding possibly no new musical instrumentation nor vocals, and put “life” into it for the first time. oooohhhkay. it’s getting a little weird for me, so over and out, for sure this time.

• 22 utaustinliberal
                      July 4, 2013 at 1:07 am

Your opinion is that they simultaneously gave it life. My opinion is that they may have created the original but there was no passion to it. Truth is truth. No matter how much you want to deny it, the Stones version is nothing to write home about. It’s tame. If you’re singing about the allure of the devil, the beats, tone, and musical arrangements have to have passion. The Stones version does not. The Neptunes gave it life. The Netpunes helped you understand why the allure of evil is so strong. The Stones gave the Neptunes permission and loved what they did with the updated version of the song. You might not like it, but the Stones version is slow and sucks. That’s reality.

2. July 3, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Dammit UT, I had a John Cleese night owl chat ready to go! I’m going to have Jose glare at you! (Wait, you would probably like that.)

God, is it August yet? 3 months without Chelsea matches is becoming intolerable.

3. 39 Lovepolitics2008
    July 3, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Feels surreal to watch a crowd of millions cheering a military coup…

4. 40 lisalovesobama
    July 3, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Just to make you chuckle after another stupid day of the lame stream media:

5. 41 Don
    July 3, 2013 at 10:57 pm

One man’s coup is another man’s parade.

July 3, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Ah, yes, the profound comments come out during the night owl chats. Glad I remembered to check in.

6. July 3, 2013 at 11:02 pm

A little live “Love is Blindness”

7. July 3, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I prefer All Along the Watchtower as performed by Hendrix more than the original by Bob Dylan. Dylan loved it too and said that he does the song as a tribute to Hendrix. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY

Love is Blindness is not one of my favorite U2 songs and I’m not crazy about the Jack White version either.

Winehouse’s vocals are perfection and I’m not crazy about the arrangement from Gatsby of that song. I thought Winehouse’s version had a lot more attitude.

Stones over Neptunes. That whole Stones album is awesome and worth listening to on a really good sound system!

Wow do I love Aretha and her version of that song is killer–guitar is great too.

• 45 Don
      July 3, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Hendrix doing “Watchtower” is on par with War doing “Gypsy Man.”

• 46 utaustinliberal
      July 3, 2013 at 11:53 pm

You’re wrong. The Stones didn’t do justice to Sympathy For The Devil. The Neptunes conveyed the true allure of what evil really is. The Jack White version of Love Is Blindess is kick ass because it conveys the raw consuming passion and rage that is love.

Amy Winehouse and the new version are a tie for me. They both have attitude but in different musical arrangements.

8. July 3, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Thanks to UT, I’m on a U2 kick tonight:

9. July 3, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Mose Allison (?) DONE RIGHT!!

10. July 3, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Oh cripes, Love is Blindness always floored me, left me a shivering wreck. Gorgeous, haunting song.

• July 3, 2013 at 11:22 pm

i think Bono and Jack White were aiming for two different effects. As Jack White did his cover for Gatsby, it fit that he did it as a paean to all-consuming love, which is the central theme of the novel. Bono was aiming for, as you said, a more haunting effect, the ghost of love lingering, always haunting you, never leaving you. Just when you think you’ve moved on, there it is, taunting you, reminding you that you can never leave your past completely.

• 51 utaustinliberal
      July 3, 2013 at 11:27 pm

It’s nice no doubt, but I prefer the rawness of the Jack White version. The pain and rage in his voice as he struggles with all consuming love is just so wonderful.

• July 3, 2013 at 11:34 pm

I’m just an old fogie, I like Jack’s defiant, **** you version, but the melancholy of the original is hard to top.

• 53 utaustinliberal
          July 3, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I can see that. Bobo just felt a little too whiny and pining for me (love can be that way, true) while Jack was just as you said. His pain is raw but there is that sweeeet hint of f**k you defiance that just appeals to me on so many levels. :D

• July 3, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Can never get enough of **** you defiance!! It’s just bringing it all back, remember being in a stadium in Dublin years back with 80,000 people singing along to Love is Blindness, chills. The live version was always more ‘aggressive’ than the recorded version. Reminded me of the old saying about Ireland, ‘their wars are merry, and their songs are sad’.

• 55 utaustinliberal
              July 3, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Wow. That must have been an experience. I now see where you’re coming from. Live versions can be powerful. I guess that’s why I relate to the Jack White version more because it feels live and the pain feels very present.

11. July 3, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Epic Pic!! Ali descending on Chicago via https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Gotta be up there w/ the Rumble in the Jungle…. Ali standing over Forman in Kinshasa, Zaire

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• 60 Don
      July 3, 2013 at 11:48 pm

That’s not Forman, and it’s not in Zaire. It’s Sonny Liston, Miami Beach, 1965.

• July 3, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Ya I mixed them up…….. Forman was Zaire (Don King and Zaire’s President in cahoots) the epic pic was Liston…..on a side note there is a new Sugar Ray Leonard/Roberto Duran movie based on ” No mass” coming out… Usher is playing Sugar Ray Leonard….

• 62 nathkatun7
        July 4, 2013 at 12:59 am

Yep! I’ll never forget that fight!

• 63 4morefor44
        July 4, 2013 at 2:28 am

my god. that’s not even remotely close to “rumble in the jungle.” that’s the photo senator barack obama had over his desk for years. it’s sonny liston on the deck, and there’s such an incredible story behind it that our president found it worthy of being his inspiration each and every day as he worked up to becoming the president. i’m noticing this since you and a certain other young person here act so dismissively and condescendingly toward us “old fogies” (yea, 40 is ancient, just like pharrell williams!), yet don’t seem to know basic historical context. what’s strange is that we’re debating things that existed many years before I, as an “old person,” was even born.

what a disheartening thread. at least my kids, who are even much younger than our pretentious friends here, exhibit no signs of this ageism, so i’m not too worried. they think president obama is the most amazing president ever, so at least “mission accomplished” i suppose for me.

• 64 utaustinliberal
          July 4, 2013 at 7:36 am

Oh please, the woe is me attitude is a little bit too much. This is a music thread and you couldn’t stand the fact that people have varying opinions on music and decided to treat it like WWIII. Everyone here ribs each other about our ages. You had to make it sound as though it was the end of the world. You didn’t know the difference between N.E.R.D. and The Neptunes and have different views on Sympathy For The Devil. That’s not the end of the world. That’s life. LP made a slip on a picture and all of a sudden is cause for “ageism” and comparing him to your children and bringing Pres. Obama into the mix.

You came to the thread with a chip on your shoulder and now want to act like the whole world is against you because everyone has differing music tastes and everyone is of a different generation. No one but you has a problem with your age.

• 65 4morefor44
            July 4, 2013 at 11:38 am

thank you for setting me straight. you are obviously a superior person. truth is truth, after all.

• July 3, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Wow! Amazing photos. Did you see the documentary When We Were Kings? If you haven’t seen it, it is incredible.

July 3, 2013 at 11:41 pm

13. July 3, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Incredible footage and narration by Doug Mills……. high quality video. Take 3 minutes….footage you have not seen from PBO in Africa.

July 4, 2013 at 12:10 am

AND he had nice things to say in his narration. Thanks,LP

• July 4, 2013 at 12:23 am

Sure thing desertflower…….. the darn video embed in not compatible w/ WordPress or I would post a future thread……one of these days I gonna figure out HTML. Till then….Twitter will have to suffice.

July 3, 2013 at 11:59 pm

I have to say, I do love how TODers are getting so into tonight’s Night Owl chat. We might disagree with each other’s choices, but it’s fun to have this debate about music. Yay!

15. July 4, 2013 at 12:02 am

Happy Independance Day!

July 4, 2013 at 12:12 am

Off to early bedtime…R/S at 4:30 am so I can get some yard work done before the heat overtakes me….night all

17. 81 yardarm756
    July 4, 2013 at 12:19 am

A little something to think about. I hope it comes thru. Makes me shudder!

• 82 Puddin'
      July 4, 2013 at 12:43 am

crazy scary stuff

• July 4, 2013 at 1:08 am

Pretty ridiculous. Fact is, a lot of our information is already available to private companies, completely unregulated and available for them to sell. Every time I see the message that tells me if I log in somewhere with my Facebook or Twitter account, they’ll get access to all my contacts and will be able to send out messages from my account, I wonder what all the hoopla is about – as though this lack of privacy is the first people are hearing about it. We should have been outraged years ago – and not because of the government, but because of private industries that are benefitting from every aspect of our lives.

• 86 nathkatun7
      July 4, 2013 at 1:10 am

Unfortunately most of this is all true, yet the emoprogs are all up in arms about the less personally intrusive NSA’s data mining.

July 4, 2013 at 12:20 am

19. July 4, 2013 at 12:25 am

July 4, 2013 at 1:13 am

Happy Fourth of July from the Midwest!

21. July 4, 2013 at 1:15 am

Greetings & Salutations!
    Boy am I coming in late to the party! :-D
    Wow, looks like nobody’s home! Oh well, guess I’ll just enjoy the music by myself for a few.

• 93 theo67
      July 4, 2013 at 1:18 am

I’m still here, Dudette – for a little while longer, at least.

• 94 Dudette
        July 4, 2013 at 1:28 am

Hiya Theo! Good to see ya! U doing alright? :-)

• 95 theo67
          July 4, 2013 at 1:30 am

Yup – just trying to keep up with all the excellent posts. Not having a great deal of luck, though… How about you?

• 96 Dudette
            July 4, 2013 at 1:39 am

I hear ya. I’ve got tons of catching up to do myself. Will have to pace myself though. I’m exhausted. Wish I didn’t have to work this weekend, but in my case there’s no rest for the weary. I do get to rest a bit “today” though. Don’t even mind that thunderstorms are expected to drench us throughout the weekend. Hey we need the water. I’m gonna be laying like lettuce most of the day. Then it’s back to the slog on Friday.

• 97 theo67
              July 4, 2013 at 1:42 am

Rest up while and where you can! I’m heading out for a bit of a road trip in the morning, so will fall even further behind on TOD… Oh well – that’s what Sunday will be for! Enjoy your Independence Day – try not to get too drenched. :)