Jul

Rise and Shine

@vj44: Perfect day in DC for the start of the season and visit to the @whitehouse

Today:

10:20: Live From the Kids’ State Dinner: Entrances (WH Live)

10:30: The President meets with members of the Congressional Black Caucus

10:45: White House Public Health and Climate Change Champions of Change (WH Live)

11:25: Live From the Kids’ State Dinner (WH Live)

11:55: First Lady Michelle Obama hosts the second annual Kids’ State Dinner (WH Live)

12:45: Press Briefing by Jay Carney (WH Live)

1:0: Kids State Dinner: Rachel Crow Musical Performance (WH Live)

2:0: Vice President Biden Speaks at Fire Fighter Memorial Service, Prescott Valley, Arizona (WH Live)

2:35: The President meets with Secretary of the Treasury Lew

4:30: Meets with Secretary of Defense Hagel

President Obama meets with his Cabinet and senior officials in the Cabinet Room of the White House, July 8 (Photo by Pete Souza)

NYT: U.S. Considers Faster Pullout in Afghanistan

Increasingly frustrated by his dealings with President Hamid Karzai, President Obama is giving serious consideration to speeding up the withdrawal of United States forces from Afghanistan and to a “zero option” that would leave no American troops there after next year, according to American and European officials.

Mr. Obama is committed to ending America’s military involvement in Afghanistan by the end of 2014, and Obama administration officials have been negotiating with Afghan officials about leaving a small “residual force” behind. But his relationship with Mr. Karzai has been slowly unraveling, and reached a new low after an effort last month by the United States to begin peace talks with the Taliban in Qatar.

Mr. Karzai promptly repudiated the talks and ended negotiations with the United States over the long-term security deal that is needed to keep American forces in Afghanistan after 2014.

More here

Steve Benen: …. We’re left with a dynamic that the political establishment still finds difficult to fully grasp: GOP officials could make the federal health care system better and more to their liking, but they see no value in that. They’d rather sabotage it, regardless of the real-world consequences. They could help get rid of a mandate they oppose, but they’d rather keep the policy they hate in the hopes it won’t work, people will feel adverse consequences, and there will be new fodder for 30-second attack ads a year from now.

Some people pursue public service want to build things, and some pursue public service because they just want to watch things burn.

…. The most generous thing I can say about their approach is that it’s fundamentally unserious about helping anyone. The least generous thing I can say is probably inappropriate for a family-friendly blog.

Full post here

Ezra Klein: Obamacare just got easier to implement, not harder

This hasn’t been a banner news week for Obamacare. But can it really be true, as my colleague Jennifer Rubin writes, that “Everyone now agrees: Obamacare can’t be implemented”?

Er, no.

I asked around …. Larry Levitt, vice president of the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation: “….. If anything the delay removes some potential administrative complexities from the plates of the implementers……” …. Timothy Jost, a health law expert at Washington and Lee University’s School of Law, was even blunter. “Implementation just got easier rather than harder,” he said.

Well, so much for “everyone.”

As those interviews indicate, the thinking among health-care experts is closer to the precise opposite of Rubin’s bombastic headline: The Obama administration has decided to accept some bad media coverage now, and some higher costs later, in order to make Obamacare much, much simpler to implement next year…..

More here

@KennettDems

Steve Benen: On Friday, when he hoped no one was looking, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) approved sweeping new restrictions on reproductive rights, including a requirement that women receive a medically unnecessary ultrasound before terminating a pregnancy, and regulatory measures that would close half of the state’s abortion clinics.

The law was supposed to go into effect statewide yesterday. A federal court had other ideas…..

More here

ThinkProgress: Sorry, Republicans, Your Own Investigation Proves No Dead People Voted In South Carolina….

South Carolina never found a single dead voter in recent elections. At least, that is the final word from the State Election Commission investigation into whether 900 people voted using a dead person’s name….

…. When Attorney General Alan Wilson demanded the original investigation, he cited “an alarming number” of cases reported by the DMV that “clearly necessitates an investigation into criminal activity.” ….

…. [This] will not prevent state Republicans from redoubling strict voter ID efforts, invigorated by the recent Supreme Court decision on the Voting Rights Act. In fact, Wilson celebrated the decision, calling the Voting Rights Act an “extraordinary intrusion” and pledging to implement voter ID ….

More here

ThinkProgress: Bush-Appointed Judge Slams Decision Striking Voting Rights Act — Court’s Reasoning Was ‘Made Up’

If a leading conservative scholar and former judge were now on the Supreme Court instead of Chief Justice Roberts or Justice Alito, it is likely that the Voting Right Act would remain intact.

Judge Michael McConnell was a leading conservative law professor at the time President George W. Bush named him to the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit in 2002 …. McConnell was also widely viewed as a possible Supreme Court nominee during the Bush Administration.

In an interview with NPR’s Nina Totenberg, McConnell has harsh words for the five conservative justices’ recent decision neutering much of the Voting Rights Act — labeling the reasoning that drove that decision “made up.”

More here

Steve Benen: Boehner completes his 180-degree turn on immigration

For those eagerly watching comprehensive immigration reform work its way through Congress, it’s difficult to know what to make of House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio). Are his signals reliable? Does he have any authority? Is he bluffing? Does he have any strategy in mind at all?

The answers are more than just insider trivia. The fate of the entire initiative may very well rest in the Speaker’s hands, and if we take his words at face value — which may or may not be wise — Boehner appears to be in the process of killing immigration reform.

More here

NYT: Todd Park, a former Silicon Valley entrepreneur, serves as President Obama’s chief technology officer. His role has taken on heightened importance after several recent developments, including the implementation of the new health care law, efforts to reduce the backlog in Department of Veterans Affairs claims processing, and privacy issues raised by disclosures about data collection by the National Security Agency. Mr. Park spoke with John Harwood of The Times and CNBC at the White House as Mr. Obama publicly challenged his administration to improve the government’s innovation and efficiency in his second term.

What follows is a condensed, edited account of their conversation….

More here

No words….

A year ago: President Obama runs around his desk in the Oval Office with Sarah Froman, daughter of Nancy Goodman and Mike Froman, Deputy National Security Advisor for International Economics, July 9, 2012. (Photo by Pete Souza)

MooooOOOOoooorning!

126 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 africa
    July 9, 2013 at 9:20 am

Morning all.

2. 8 Mellesia Barnett
    July 9, 2013 at 9:24 am

Morning everyone congrats Africa on 1st

3. 9 africa
    July 9, 2013 at 9:24 am

An R&S chock full of good information. GOP can come kicking or they can get out of the way so that Obamacare can help save lives.

4. July 9, 2013 at 9:27 am

Top of the Morning to Ya! :-D

5. July 9, 2013 at 9:28 am

Congrats on 1st Africa. Good day everyone. Another 16h+ non-stop day for me but, hopefully by tomorrow afternoon/evening I’ll have a bit more time to enjoy the TOD community.

#TrustBarack

6. July 9, 2013 at 9:30 am

Good Morning, Everyone :)

7. 16 Mellesia Barnett
    July 9, 2013 at 9:31 am

Hey Chips could you please include Lawrence O’Donnell rewrite from last night to the post. It was a magnificent rewrite I tell you. thank you

8. July 9, 2013 at 9:33 am

Good Tuesday Morning Chipsticks, TODers…Everyone!

Hope everyone has a wonderful and productive day.

9. 22 Dudette
    July 9, 2013 at 9:33 am

Lovely picture of two tennis giants!

10. 23 jackiegrumbacher
    July 9, 2013 at 9:37 am

Morning all. Hope the enervating heat and humidity is not getting anyone down. We’ve had a string of gloomy days, heavy rain and suffocating humidity. Why am I already dreaming of the fall? Meantime there’s lots to do getting ready for summer political events and the November ‘off-off’ year elections. The numbers of people vying for the Democratic nomination for PA governor is increasing by the day. Next year’s primary is going to be wild.

• July 9, 2013 at 9:42 am

hey Jackie…

so far i have counted two….Wolf and Schwartz….who are the others….

• 25 jackiegrumbacher
        July 9, 2013 at 12:00 pm

PF, there’s a minister named Myers, a nice guy named Hacker, McCord has formed an exploratory committee and a woman named Jo Ellen Litz entered this Tuesday. By my count, that’s six candidates so far. The richest by far is Wolf who already has a $10 million start. McCord also has a lot of personal wealth and I don’t know about Schwartz’s war chest. The others are all dark horses. I’ve spoken to some union guys who seem to think that Wolf may have the edge, but who knows.

11. July 9, 2013 at 9:40 am

Goood Morning…TODVille…GM MsChipss…..Congrats Africa on First….

another extraordinary R & S….packed with news we can use….

12. 28 Dudette
    July 9, 2013 at 9:42 am

The other day I DVR’d the ESPN documentary “Venus Vs” (from their #NineforIX series) about Venus’ pivotal role in bringing about pay equity for women’s professional tennis. I was moved to tears. She has sealed her place history both on and off the court. I couldn’t be more proud if she were my own daughter. You must watch it if you get the chance – have your daughter watch it with you.

The trailer for documentary is here:

…and here’s a clip

Nine For IX: Exclusive Clip From ‘Venus VS.’

• July 9, 2013 at 9:43 am

I watched that program….extraordinary..

• 31 Dakota
      July 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm

This was a wonderful tribute to Venus. Just loved it! To co-sign Dudette, I absolutely adore this young woman and am so proud of her. I have the utmost admiration for her parents for not only the example that they’ve set for their family, but also the example that they’ve have set for all of us. Thanks for the reminder about the Pat Summit episode tonight.

13. 32 africa
    July 9, 2013 at 9:42 am

OK, Walter Pincus is on the Snowden Story. This is one of few journalists that I respect.

14. 33 Dudette
    July 9, 2013 at 9:49 am

Next documentary in the ESPN #NineforIX Series tonight. Warming up the DVR… :-)

15. July 9, 2013 at 9:52 am

July 9, 2013 at 10:53 am

” …Between Fort Dix, the Defense Logistics Agency and Naval Support Activity, nearly 14,000 civilian employees in the region face 11 weeks of furloughs, which amount to a 20 percent pay cut between now and September.”

Oh, yeah, 20 percent less dollars available to be spent in not only the areas surrounding the military organizations (which count on these military commands for their existence and growth), but extending to the residential areas of those 14,000 civilians, who don’t all live locally.

Happy, Republicans?

16. July 9, 2013 at 9:53 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone, and congrats africa on #1 :) Thanks Chips for another great R & S!

17. 38 Mellesia Barnett
    July 9, 2013 at 9:54 am

July 9, 2013

Rick Perry: “Time to Pass Mantle to New Generation of Boneheads”

Posted by Andy Borowitz

SAN ANTONIO (The Borowitz Report)—Texas Gov. Rick Perry announced yesterday that he would not seek reëlection, telling supporters, “The time has come to pass the mantle of leadership to a new generation of boneheads.”

“I’ve had a good run,” he said. “But after twelve years, someone else who isn’t playing with a full deck should take a turn at the wheel.”

Reflecting on his twelve years as governor, Mr. Perry said that he had “no regrets” except for being incoherent the entire time.

Before leaving office, Gov. Perry said that he would propose three signature bills “just to let future Texans know how Rick Perry marked his territory.”

The first bill would require all voters in the state to have an I.D. with a photo of a white person; the second would force anyone filibustering an anti-abortion bill to ride a mechanical bull; and the third he could not remember.

July 9, 2013 at 10:01 am

A conservative speaking out against the SCOTUS’s disgusting VRA decision? *Looks outside window for flying pigs.*

The ‘Angry Trayvon’ game/app is beyond vile. He is a child who was murdered while minding his own business. For any app inventor to mock that and use it for profit is disgusting. What Google, Google Play, and Android need to do is ban Trade Digital Inc from ever producing any apps in their app store. The first Angry Trayvon game was wiped away and Trade Digital Inc created Angry Trayvon HD. That’s sickening. Google needs to get at the root of the problem and since the Android app store is one where anyone can create an app, they need to ban Trade Digital Inc from ever featuring anything in the Google Play app store.

• July 9, 2013 at 10:11 am

This is beyond disgusting. And yes, Google needs to step up and ban Trade Digital Inc.

Funny that Trade Digital didn’t create any “angry” apps featuring some of the recent young men who (in anger and rage) went on mass shooting sprees, or created bombs that severely injured/killed many people, or hacked into government surveillance tools for their own narcissistic reasons.

19. 41 lockewasright
    July 9, 2013 at 10:05 am

Ugh! I had a migraine bad enough to wake me up at about 5:00 this morning. The meds have knocked it down to a little more than a dull ache now, but I wish I’d slept more. Tonight is my last chance for a good night’s sleep before my work week begins anew.

• 42 Dudette
      July 9, 2013 at 10:12 am

{{{ lockewasright }}} Both my Mom & Sister suffer from migraines. Glad you’ve got this one under control. Feel better soon!

Here’s some nice soothing music for you…

• 43 lockewasright
        July 9, 2013 at 10:32 am

Thanks Dudette. There are some wonderful pics in that video. That sort of photography helps me keep perspective. It’s so easy to get caught up in the details and execution of life’s distractions (the rat race, keeping up with the Joneses, etc) that one loses track of the real uses of our time… seeing places and things like these and sharing the time and experiences with the people that matter to us.

I hope you have a great day. I am pretty sure that I will once I finish erasing this headache. The crumb snatchers are going to help me cook most of the day and then we’re going to share the food with some good friends and do some swimming. Cooking and hanging out with my wife and kids are my favorite things to do. What else could be as important?

• 44 Dudette
          July 9, 2013 at 10:53 am

“What else could be as important?” – Not a thing friend.. not a thing!. Be well and enjoy the day! :-)

20. 45 Dudette
    July 9, 2013 at 10:07 am

21. July 9, 2013 at 10:07 am

22. July 9, 2013 at 10:08 am

Updated the schedule in the post, White House live will be showing lots from the Kids State Dinner today

• 48 Dudette
      July 9, 2013 at 10:12 am

Yay! I’m working from home today, so I can watch! Wooooot!

• July 9, 2013 at 10:15 am

Double wooooooooot! Love the first thing in the schedule:

’10:20: Live From the Kids’ State Dinner: Entrances’

Entrances? It’s like the Oscars!!

• 50 Dudette
          July 9, 2013 at 10:56 am

Well of course, I missed that part! [Work... harrumph!]
          Anyway, I have the stream page at the ready for whatever comes up next.

July 9, 2013 at 10:10 am

July 9, 2013 at 10:16 am

GM folks, GM chips.

July 9, 2013 at 10:20 am

26. July 9, 2013 at 10:21 am

GM Chips, TOD

27. 56 Mellesia Barnett
    July 9, 2013 at 10:22 am

Watching the Kids State Dinner Entrances, just adorable

July 9, 2013 at 10:24 am

I looooooove the Kids State Dinner. Bravo to the white house for rolling out the red carpet and treating the kids and parents like the rock stars they are. This administration really has made the White House the “People’s House.”

29. July 9, 2013 at 10:27 am

30. 59 donna dem 4 obama
    July 9, 2013 at 10:28 am

As much as the opposition tries with all their might to bring him down politically it will never happen!!

• 60 daisydem
      July 9, 2013 at 11:24 am

I love that. Thank you for sharing this. I do believe he is a righteous man. He has an aura of love and strength. He draws people, especially children to him, probably animals too. I want with all my heart to one day be in his presence.

• 61 arkluvspbo
        July 9, 2013 at 2:57 pm

“I want with all my heart to one day be in his presence.”
        Daisydem, Oh my goodness, so do I!!

I had a dream about him, when he was running for president the first time. I was sitting in a restaurant talking to him and Michelle, the girls were off in a corner playing with my puppy, and we had the most wonderful conversation. I remember the scene quite vividly. That dream was so real to me, and I felt like it was him telling me to help him spread the word. I have been a loyal supporter to him ever since.

• 62 Dudette
      July 9, 2013 at 11:33 am

OMG! I am SOOOOO stealing that! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

• 63 jackiegrumbacher
      July 9, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Amen, Donna. All the right have done is shown themselves for what they are: narrow-minded, racist, hateful, with a lust for power that outweighs a love of their country.

• 64 vitaminlover
      July 9, 2013 at 3:39 pm

SPOT ON!!!!

31. 65 Jovie
    July 9, 2013 at 10:28 am

32. 66 AJ
    July 9, 2013 at 10:34 am

Re: Kids’ State Dinner. Please, can someone tell the announcer it’s pronouced “Keen-WAH” not “Keen-noah”. ;)

33. July 9, 2013 at 10:36 am

LMAO!

34. July 9, 2013 at 10:37 am

Am I the last to know? Snowden has agreed to asylum in Venezuela …. you couldn’t make it up!

• July 9, 2013 at 10:46 am

LOL – what a donkey. Let him see how much “civil liberties” he enjoys down there. I guess he thought the US would probably try to get him to come back after the countries offered to take him him in, but that didn’t happen so he has no choice right now.

• 74 Bill
      July 9, 2013 at 10:51 am

Has it been announced how is he going to get there? Will he chance going through NATO and US airspace?

• 76 donna dem 4 obama
      July 9, 2013 at 10:54 am

Ship his behind on over to Venezuela TODAY!

I am sick up to my neck with this guy. I’m glad someone is taking him because If he comes back here the Libertarians masquerading as Liberals will be protesting and showing off for the next several month.

Be Gone Already Snowden!!!

• July 9, 2013 at 10:56 am

I just wish all the libertarians would go with him, what a horrible collection of people.

• 78 4morefor44
          July 9, 2013 at 11:33 am

i often joke that we should just set aside a huge chunk of nebraska and call it libertyland. they can make their own laws and exist entirely independently from the united states. only self-avowed libertarian freedumb-loving patriots can enter, and they can bring all the guns they want. it would be like moths to a lightbulb they’d all come so fast.

however, they wouldn’t last through their own first organizing meeting. they’d begin arguing about the very first topic, something such as what color the flag should be, and would eventually lead to someone shooting one of the others, and the whole thing would go down in flames and mass shootings within the first month. these people are sociopaths…for real.

• 79 Dudette
            July 9, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Fine with me, as long as we move all the nukes and any federal property out first. :-) Indeed it would be like Lord of the Flies there in no time/

• 80 jackiegrumbacher
        July 9, 2013 at 12:24 pm

You’re right, Donna. I’d rather he sink into the morass of Venezuela and not be heard of again than have to endure months of Snowdenmania if he came back to the US. I’m tired of seeing his pasty face.

35. July 9, 2013 at 10:45 am

• 82 57andfemale
      July 9, 2013 at 11:40 am

I’ll temper my expectations until they actually, like, follow through. I can’t stomach another round of hope and promises.

The only President in history who was not able to even staff his administration or put his stamp on the courts as all Presidents before him. Disgusting.

• 83 Dudette
        July 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Yeh, I’m not holding my breath.

• 84 57andfemale
          July 9, 2013 at 2:18 pm

We have no evidence that they will follow through. I blew all my hope in this regard at the start of this legislative session when Harry Reid and some small-minded, self-interested Dem’s condemned this winning President’s agenda. I hope we’re wrong. Please God, let them prove us wrong.

36. July 9, 2013 at 10:53 am

Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree….Dear God!

A close aide to Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) who co-wrote the senator’s 2011 book “spent years working as a pro-secessionist radio pundit and neo-Confederate activist, raising questions about whether Paul will be able to transcend the same fringe-figure associations that dogged his father’s political career,”

37. 87 japa21
    July 9, 2013 at 11:06 am

38. 88 Dudette
    July 9, 2013 at 11:06 am

• 89 57andfemale
      July 9, 2013 at 11:12 am

I pine for the day when we got rid of a bonehead and thought we were through with boneheads – a really obnoxious bonehead being an anomaly. Now there’s a long line of boneheads just waiting for their turn. Sigh.

• 90 Dudette
        July 9, 2013 at 11:18 am

There, there, 57andf [gently pats on the back] I feel your pain.

I live in Georgia. In fact, I’ll see your bonehead governor and raise you a grand wizard of the KKKlan governor.

• 92 jackiegrumbacher
        July 9, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Hi, 57, check my answer up thread to your question about PA governor candidates. I count six so far, but may have missed one.

July 9, 2013 at 11:13 am

Bahahahahahahha. They have jokes.

40. 102 Dudette
    July 9, 2013 at 11:14 am

Gratuitous Favorite TV Show Plug coming up in 3, 2, 1…
    ————–

Harvey! Harvey! Harvey! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! :-D :-D :-D

July 9, 2013 at 11:15 am

GM! Found this: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/russian-official-snowden-accepts-venezuelan-offer

MOSCOW (AP) — NSA leaker Edward Snowden accepted Venezuela’s offer of political asylum, according to a posting Tuesday on the Twitter account of a Russian lawmaker with close ties to the Kremlin. However, the tweet disappeared a few minutes later.

It was not possible to immediately reach Alexei Pushkov, the head of the Russian parliament’s foreign affairs committee who has acted as an unofficial point-man for the Kremlin on the Snowden affair.

Snowden, who revealed details of a U.S. intelligence program to monitor Internet activity, came to Moscow’s Sheremetyevo airport on June 23 and was believed to be headed for Cuba. But he did not board that flight and has not been seen publicly since. He is widely believed to still be in the airport’s transit zone.

Venezuelan Foreign Minister Elias Jaua said Saturday his country hadn’t yet been in contact with Snowden, who has been unable to travel further because the U.S. annulled his passport.

For Snowden to leave for South America, he would need for Venezuela to issue him travel documents and he would need to find a way to get there. The only direct commercial flight from Moscow stops in Havana, Cuba.

Not so fast on that Vuvuzela thingy:)

July 9, 2013 at 11:17 am

WASHINGTON (AP) — A trade group for Catholic hospitals says it can accept the Obama administration’s compromise on birth control coverage.

The Catholic Health Association says it’s pleased with final rules for faith-affiliated nonprofits from the Department of Health and Human Services.

The new health care law requires employers to cover birth control, free of charge for women workers. Churches and other houses of worship are fully exempt. Religiously affiliated hospitals, universities and charities that object can have their insurers provide birth control coverage separately.

• 110 99ts
      July 9, 2013 at 6:29 pm

What religion has to do with health care is beyond my understanding – shame the government doesn’t simply pay the pharmacists directly as is done in my world.

July 9, 2013 at 11:27 am

Perfect response to delusions of grandeur.

44. 112 japa21
    July 9, 2013 at 11:30 am

45. 113 Dudette
    July 9, 2013 at 11:30 am

Hey, the kids are walking into their State Dinner. The feed’s back on! :-)

Their announcing the kids names, where they’re from and their recipes. Just hearing the recipes is mouth-watering!

• 114 Dudette
      July 9, 2013 at 11:31 am

Aww, the little girl from Atlanta is walking in on crutches with her Dad at her side. So sweet! :-)

46. 115 Mellesia Barnett
    July 9, 2013 at 11:34 am

Monday, Jul 8, 2013 01:00 PM EST
    How the media outrageously blew the IRS scandal: A full accounting

Almost everything “reported” about the big Obama scandal was wrong, and no one has been held to account (UPDATED)
    By Alex Seitz-Wald

The first few days of the IRS scandal that would consume Washington for weeks went like this: Conservatives were indignant, the media was outraged, the president had to respond, his allies turned on him … and only then, the Treasury Department’s inspector general released the actual report that had sparked the whole controversy — in that order. It’s a fitting microcosm of the entire saga, which has gone from legacy-tarnishing catastrophe to historical footnote in the intervening six weeks, and a textbook example of how the scandal narrative can dominate Washington and cable news even when there is no actual scandal.

While the initial reports about the IRS targeting looked pretty bad, suggesting that agents singled out tax-exempt applications for Tea Party and conservative groups for extra scrutiny, the media badly bungled the controversy when supposedly sober journalists like Bob Woodward and Chuck Todd jumped to conclusions and assumed the worst from day one. Instead of doing more reporting to discover the true nature and context of the IRS targeting, or at least waiting for their colleagues to do some, the supposedly liberal mainstream press let their eagerness to show they could be just as tough on a Democratic White House as a Republican one get ahead of the facts. We expect politicians to stretch reality to fit a narrative, but the press should be better.

• July 9, 2013 at 11:39 am

Hi Mellesia, I edited that for you, please don’t post complete articles from other sites, just include 2 or 3 paragraphs and the link. Thanks!

47. 117 Dudette
    July 9, 2013 at 11:34 am

Sam Kass!! :-)

• 118 Dudette
      July 9, 2013 at 11:37 am

Little sweetie from Connecticut that Sam is interviewing said his teacher Mrs Hinkle (sp?) said FLOTUS is the best first lady of ALL time! I wholeheartedly agree! :-)

48. 119 Mellesia Barnett
    July 9, 2013 at 11:38 am

Awwww that little guy at the Kids State Dinner said his teacher told him Mrs. O is the best first lady of all time. How right she is

July 9, 2013 at 11:40 am

50. 122 Bill
    July 9, 2013 at 11:41 am

Kidnapping is a widespread crime in Venezuela. If Snowden makes it there, and that is still a big if, wonder if Wikileaks would be willing to pay any big ransoms.

July 9, 2013 at 11:42 am

July 9, 2013 at 11:44 am

The list of laws, regulations, Supreme Court rulings, and Constitutional rights Republicans and conservatives circumvent, subvert, and violate is endless, but it demonstrates one simple premise; they believe they are not beholden to follow the law of the land under any circumstance. They specifically target laws that guarantee Americans the right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness and no group is immune from their blatant disregard for the law save their precious corporations, the rich, and the fanatically religious. They have ratcheted up their assault on legally passed legislation since extremist teabaggers helped them gain control of state legislatures and the House of Representatives in the 2010 midterm elections, but they began their crusade 80 years ago with the New Deal and escalated their assault on regulations thirty years ago when a b-movie actor became president.

53. 126 anniebella
    July 9, 2013 at 11:45 am

You see the little kid who said he told FLOTUS that his teacher said FLOTUS was the best First Lady ever. I agree. :)